PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Willie Wood

Joemailman
02-03-2020, 08:34 PM
"The Green Bay Packers Family lost a legend today with the passing of Willie Wood," Packers president/CEO Mark Murphy said in a statement. "Willie's success story, rising from an undrafted rookie free agent to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, is an inspiration to generations of football fans. While his health challenges kept him from returning to Lambeau Field in recent years, his alumni weekend visits were cherished by both Willie and our fans. We extend our deepest condolences to Willie's family and friends."

One of the great Packers. Still holds the Packers record for punt return yards, in addition to being a legendary Safety.

scharpcheddar
02-04-2020, 12:55 AM
an obvious sacrifice the day after the SB

Radagast
02-04-2020, 02:59 AM
At age 83, GB's HOF Safety has passed on. He lost his life, but he will never lose your respect. Coach Lombardi said that pound for pound, Wood was one of the best tacklers he had ever seen.

We really can't compare players from one era against players from other eras, so let's simply say that the 9 time Pro Bowl Packer Safety earned his place in Canton.

Rest in Peace Mr.Wood and tell Bart and Venice that they are not forgotten either.

SudsMcBucky
02-04-2020, 07:21 AM
At age 83, GB's HOF Safety has passed on. He lost his life, but he will never lose your respect. Coach Lombardi said that pound for pound, Wood was one of the best tacklers he had ever seen.

We really can't compare players from one era against players from other eras, so let's simply say that the 9 time Pro Bowl Packer Safety earned his place in Canton.

Rest in Peace Mr.Wood and tell Bart and Venice that they are not forgotten either.

Yep, Venice has never been forgotten. That's for sure.

run pMc
02-04-2020, 07:24 AM
Agree. https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/13/world/gallery/venice-flooding-autumn-2019-intl/index.html

Willie Wood is an incredible story. Great player. Trailblazing coaching career.

mraynrand
02-04-2020, 07:55 AM
We'll always have Venice

https://blogs.shu.edu/ww2-0/files/2018/02/Casablanca.jpg

pbmax
02-04-2020, 08:10 AM
^

Formerly: B&W picture show? Switch to one of the other 3 channels.

Today: Stop and try to figure out which movie and who is in it. Watch the rest.

Anti-Polar Bear
02-04-2020, 08:29 AM

Wood, Starr and Lombardi will surely live on in Packers lore.

That being said, the notion that there’s an afterlife realm is just a psychological concept humans conceived to cope with the notions of death and dying. Biologically, when an organism’s time in this universe expires, it is simply what it is: an expiration.

I do think that, individually, a person will never get to meet “Death”. Sure, we are conscious of death, and unfortunately, we can experience dying. But we are only aware we’re alive because our mind tells us we’re alive. The mind shuts down prior to the expiration, and therefore, the individual is always oblivious of the expiration.

“Joker” has made a nihilist outta me.

pbmax
02-04-2020, 08:42 AM
Wood, Starr and Lombardi will surely live on in Packers lore.

That being said, the notion that there’s an afterlife realm is just a psychological concept humans conceived to cope with the notions of death and dying. Biologically, when an organism’s time in this universe expires, it is simply what it is: an expiration.

I do think that, individually, a person will never get to meet “Death”. Sure, we are conscious of death, and unfortunately, we can experience dying. But we are only aware we’re alive because our mind tells us we’re alive. The mind shuts down prior to the expiration, and therefore, the individual is always oblivious of the expiration.

“Joker” has made a nihilist outta me.

Take it to Spiritual Forums (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/).

Patler
02-04-2020, 09:41 AM
Willie Wood was not only a great tackler, he was a superb athlete and a great jumper. On longer field goal attempts by opponents, Wood would station himself under the crossbar (which was then at the front of the endzone), and at least once that I remember he blocked a kick just before it would have crossed. Several times he returned missed field goal attempts.

texaspackerbacker
02-04-2020, 02:29 PM
Yep, Venice has never been forgotten. That's for sure.

Uh, I forgot, who the fuck is Venice?

As I recall, Willie Wood's interception did a lot to turn the first Super Bowl in our favor.

Am I misremembering, or didn't Willie dabble in place-kicking too - in one or two rare injury situations?

George Cumby
02-04-2020, 02:37 PM
Willie Wood was not only a great tackler, he was a superb athlete and a great jumper. On longer field goal attempts by opponents, Wood would station himself under the crossbar (which was then at the front of the endzone), and at least once that I remember he blocked a kick just before it would have crossed. Several times he returned missed field goal attempts.

Isn't Wood the one Kramer wrote about being really scary?

QBME
02-04-2020, 02:53 PM
One of the great Packers. Still holds the Packers record for punt return yards, in addition to being a legendary Safety.

"The Green Bay Packers Family lost a legend today with the passing of Willie Wood," Packers president/CEO Mark Murphy said in a statement. "Willie's success story, rising from an undrafted rookie free agent to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, is an inspiration to generations of football fans. While his health challenges kept him from returning to Lambeau Field in recent years, his alumni weekend visits were cherished by both Willie and our fans. We extend our deepest condolences to Willie's family and friends."

Just so it's not lost to the young one's - the draft used to be 14 rounds as I recall (Patler?).

QBME
02-04-2020, 02:58 PM

Willie was 5'8". Crossbar was 10 ft.

esoxx
02-04-2020, 04:48 PM

Just so it's not lost to the young one's - the draft used to be 14 rounds as I recall (Patler?).

It used to be quite longer, wasn't Bart Starr a 17th Round pick?

esoxx
02-04-2020, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=texaspackerbacker;1048270]Uh, I forgot, who the fuck is Venice?

QUOTE]

For fuck's sake man, if you don't recall the gridiron exploits of Packer legend Johnny "Freight Train" Venice, then really what kind of a Packer fan are you anyway? Shaking my damn head.

Cleft Crusty
02-04-2020, 05:01 PM
It used to be quite longer, wasn't Bart Starr a 17th Round pick?

Everyone knows that Herdis William "Bull" McCrary was added to the Packers' roster out of Georgia for their first championship in 1929, but a little known fact is that his brother Horace Robert "tiny mouse" McCrary was drafted in the 42nd round of the 1929 draft. He never played a down for the Packers but some historians claimed he was their best waterboy ever.

Patler
02-04-2020, 07:13 PM
Am I misremembering, or didn't Willie dabble in place-kicking too - in one or two rare injury situations?

I don't remember Wood kicking, but he may have. Jerry Kramer was the backup kicker that I recall.

Patler
02-04-2020, 07:19 PM

When he tackled, he went low an wrapped up both legs. Runners fell over like a tree cut down, even Jim Brown who was almost as big as o-linemen in those days.

Patler
02-04-2020, 07:32 PM

It was 30 rounds or there about in the '50s, maybe early '60s. Then dropped to 20 for most or all of the '60s. As the league absorbed the AFL and went through further expansion the number of rounds dropped several times in the "70s and '80s until it hit 12, where it stayed for a long time.

when they were drafting 20 or 30 guys for a 40 man roster, when veterans were tied to a team for as long as the team wanted, some low round players wouldn't even show up for camp.

esoxx
02-04-2020, 08:19 PM

In fairness to Kramer, most white people thought blacks were really scary back then.

George Cumby
02-04-2020, 09:05 PM
In fairness to Kramer, most white people thought blacks were really scary back then.

lol

Touche.

Joemailman
02-05-2020, 06:30 PM
I don't remember Wood kicking, but he may have. Jerry Kramer was the backup kicker that I recall.

Yep. Jerry did the kicking in the 1962 NFL Title Game. Actually, Hornung was the kicker then, but a knee injury kept him out of several games in 1962.

texaspackerbacker
02-06-2020, 12:49 PM
I was close hahahaha. Willie Wood did some kicking off for the Packers - apparently no place-kicking, though.

https://www.packers.com/news/how-jerry-kramer-became-the-packers-kicker-in-1962-19287631

Ain't Google wonderful.

mraynrand
02-06-2020, 02:32 PM
I was close hahahaha. Willie Wood did some kicking off for the Packers - apparently no place-kicking, though.

https://www.packers.com/news/how-jerry-kramer-became-the-packers-kicker-in-1962-19287631

Ain't Google wonderful.

Congratulations, you finally got it to work!

George Cumby
02-07-2020, 08:42 PM
Congratulations, you finally got it to work!

Roflmao.

woodbuck27
03-24-2020, 08:44 PM
A 5 time All Pro and 8 time Pro Bowl selection and a key tracker and Safety for 5 Packer Championships.

RIP Willie Wood.

woodbuck27
03-24-2020, 08:45 PM
I enjoyed seeing him play.

Fritz
03-25-2020, 12:32 PM

Is it still legal to do that? To knock a kick away like that? Seems like that might be worth stationing someone like Davante Adams under the crossbar.

Willie - he really brought the Wood.

smuggler
03-28-2020, 07:32 AM
Not only is it against the rules, Fritz, but it's dumb as fuck. Imagine taking away any chance at blocking a field goal or pressuring the kicker to have an imperceptibly small chance to get a hand on it at the crossbar.

Keep in mind that the only kicks you would be able to contest at the crossbar are extremely long field goals with low trajectory - the kicks most likely to be blocked at the LOS.