PDA

View Full Version : Rank the FA Quarterbacks

pbmax
02-18-2020, 07:38 AM
Forget hometown discounts or team friendly deals (in total dollars if not structure).

If you are sending Rodgers-like FA money on a QB because you have not been paying attention to cap-ology since 2009, rank the guys you are signing to a big deal.

Tom Brady
Philip Rivers
Drew Brees
Dak Prescott
J****y B*****tt
Nate Sudfeld
Brett Hundley
Matt Moore
Jake Jortles
Mike Glennon
Taysom Hill
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Case Keenum

Am I nuts for thinking you sign Dak? He probably costs a little less than Wilson and is younger.

My rank:

Dak
Drew
J****y
Tom
Phillip
Jameis

I'm not signing anyone else to big time starter money. Though I would spend on Matt Moore as a backup QB if I had the space.

mraynrand
02-18-2020, 07:49 AM
Dak is the automatic transmission QB.

mraynrand
02-18-2020, 07:53 AM
I looked at some film of Winston. I might be tempted to pay him. His INTs may really be mostly due to bad vision that’s now been corrected.

Brady, Brees, and Rivers might all be out of the league in 2021. When it goes, it goes fast. #Favre2010.

pbmax
02-18-2020, 07:53 AM
I have no idea why the list I was looking at had Russell on it.

mraynrand
02-18-2020, 07:54 AM
I have no idea why the list I was looking at had Russell on it.

Wishful thinking?

pbmax
02-18-2020, 07:55 AM
Most comprehensive list so far: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/

pbmax
02-18-2020, 07:55 AM
Wishful thinking?

Perhaps the writer, but doesn't explain my gullibility. I am not even sure the Packers can afford Veldheer at this point.

Cheesehead Craig
02-18-2020, 09:07 AM
Taysom Hill >>> all others.

He has the kung-fu nobody else does. He's the new hip-hop of QBs. He's like Lamar Jackson, only whiter.

mraynrand
02-18-2020, 09:09 AM

He has the kung-fu nobody else does. He's the new hip-hop of QBs. He's like Lamar Jackson, only whiter.

I believe you

Anti-Polar Bear
02-18-2020, 10:17 AM

Not really. L-Jax doesn't play WR, TE, HB and ST. His mama forbids him from playing any non QB positions.

And Hill doesn't choke in the playoffs, unlike L-Jax.

run pMc
02-18-2020, 02:12 PM
Jacoby Brissett has one year left.

Not many names on your list I'd want to sign. Cam Newton, Nick Foles, Joe Flacco, and Andy Dalton are all at least 50/50 shots to be elsewhere too.

pbmax
02-19-2020, 07:38 AM
Jacoby Brissett has one year left.

Not many names on your list I'd want to sign. Cam Newton, Nick Foles, Joe Flacco, and Andy Dalton are all at least 50/50 shots to be elsewhere too.

Never trusting Bleacher Report again.

Upnorth
02-19-2020, 02:26 PM
If I could do a yearly contract with out cap issues carrying forward,
#1 Drew Brees
#2 Philip Rivers

If it has to be long term
#1 day Prescott
#2 who ever is cheaper of marriota and Winston
#3 taysom Hill
Then draft

QBME
02-19-2020, 08:33 PM
No no no to Winston.
He wore contacts.
30 int's?
Entertaining, but no way big bucks.

QBME
02-19-2020, 08:36 PM

30 years old, and exactly (exactly) zero NFL touchdown passes. If my feeble memory serves he has about a dozen NFL completions.

Puhleeez.

pbmax
02-20-2020, 08:05 AM
Just think, with Taysom Hill, you could run the wildcat all game long.

At this point, I'll stop piling on and point out that yeti and others were right, he is a valuable slash player. Given how it broke out, keeping him around plus a practice squad QB is probably the best play from a talent standpoint that year. But coaches prefer their offenses to be run by poor facsimiles of the starter in almost all cases.

mraynrand
02-20-2020, 08:29 AM
Just think, with Taysom Hill, you could run the wildcat all game long.

At this point, I'll stop piling on and point out that yeti and others were right, he is a valuable slash player. Given how it broke out, keeping him around plus a practice squad QB is probably the best play from a talent standpoint that year.

The bottom line is the dude was too talented to cut. That's why a team that's been better than the Packers lately, scooped him and utilized his talents. That's where the frustration is. 2nd string, third string, better option than Kizer, whatever. None of that matters. Him not making the 53 is an indictment on MM and the previous regime, period .

Again, so what? With Rodgers out, would he have solved the QB problem? This year, would he have solved the WR problem or the run defense? I love the guy. I'm trying to set him up with my daughter. I still hope I get that bag of potatoes and his signed jersey. But none of that will turn him into a quality backup and/or starting QB in the NFL. Would have been nice to see a gadget play late in the blowout losses to SF though, just to have something interesting to watch.

I'll give Taysom this: I'd much rather have him than the piped in noise pollution at Lambeau.

run pMc
02-20-2020, 09:52 AM
I forgot about Teddy Bridgewater. You could do worse than him, if he's a scheme fit for your offense.

bobblehead
02-20-2020, 09:56 AM
You amazingly put together a list to prove my point. I wouldn't pay any of these guys a kings ransom. I might pay Brees for a year if I thought I could win now. You left off the only 2 guys I actually would try and sign because I think you might get value for the talent. Bortles and Bridgewater.

Other than the 3 really old dudes no one on any list I have seen has succeeded as a starter outside of those 2 names. Tannehill finally has and I like him ok, but he suddenly is being talked about as a $25 million a year QB. Crazy town.

run pMc
02-20-2020, 09:58 AM
Again, so what? With Rodgers out, would he have solved the QB problem? This year, would he have solved the WR problem or the run defense? I love the guy. I'm trying to set him up with my daughter. I still hope I get that bag of potatoes and his signed jersey. But none of that will turn him into a quality backup and/or starting QB in the NFL. Would have been nice to see a gadget play late in the blowout losses to SF though, just to have something interesting to watch.

I'll give Taysom this: I'd much rather have him than the piped in noise pollution at Lambeau.

If Rodgers' backup is a problem, they haven't solved it nor spent much resources in attempting to. (IMO)
Maybe Boyle is that guy; McGinn's Atlantic piece made it sound like scouts like Boyle better than most of the backups in the NFCN, which may not mean much.

Eventually they will need to find Rodgers successor. Boyle is (again, IMO) not that guy. They haven't drafted him yet, and they will probably need to unless they go the FA route -- but guys like Kirk Cousins hit FA for a reason.

Taysom Hill is a really fun player to watch and I love how Payton has used him -- far more creatively than M3 would have -- but he is not a starting NFL QB.

bobblehead
02-20-2020, 10:07 AM
QBs I would pay if I were GM:

Maholms, Wilson, Watson, Rodgers (but none of them what they are making or about to make) Jackson gets on the list with one more good year.

I am honestly feeling that in todays cap era its smarter to try and trent dilfer your way to an Owl than to pay these guys. Lets look at recent owls. Qb on rookie deal, Qb with friendly deal, Qb nobody wanted, Same friendly deal, Manning at a discount (but D won the game).

Look at super bowl QB's and then look at what happened to teams after they paid them. Baltimore understood and moved on, but wlll they pay Lamar a kings ransom? If they do, suddenly its tough to put a team around him.

Wilson is much better now than he was when he won the Owl, but he can't sniff a championship game suddenly.

bobblehead
02-20-2020, 10:11 AM
If you lose Rodgers for a Bortles you can suddenly sign a marquee MLB AND a marquee DT. How good does our D look then?

mraynrand
02-20-2020, 11:32 AM
If you lose Rodgers for a Bortles you can suddenly sign a marquee MLB AND a marquee DT. How good does our D look then?

very tired - from being on the field for 40 minutes.

mraynrand
02-20-2020, 11:42 AM
If Rodgers' backup is a problem, they haven't solved it nor spent much resources in attempting to. (IMO)
Maybe Boyle is that guy; McGinn's Atlantic piece made it sound like scouts like Boyle better than most of the backups in the NFCN, which may not mean much.

Eventually they will need to find Rodgers successor. Boyle is (again, IMO) not that guy. They haven't drafted him yet, and they will probably need to unless they go the FA route -- but guys like Kirk Cousins hit FA for a reason.

Taysom Hill is a really fun player to watch and I love how Payton has used him -- far more creatively than M3 would have -- but he is not a starting NFL QB.

Good post. Generally I see the two issues as totally separate. I agree that the back up is and has been a cluster. Need to figure that out. The next guy they pick though, will likely be the successor at this point. It all depends on how the board falls. If a decent QB falls, they better nab him.

Taysom Hill is fantastic to watch, in his limited role. I forget the guy who made the comment that his throwing motion looks like a right fielder trying to make the play at third base, but that's what I see when Taysom winds up for deep shots. I'd love it if he became a full time starter somewhere (my fervent wish would be with Stubby at Dallas) but I just can't see it happening.

pbmax
02-20-2020, 06:23 PM
You amazingly put together a list to prove my point. I wouldn't pay any of these guys a kings ransom. I might pay Brees for a year if I thought I could win now. You left off the only 2 guys I actually would try and sign because I think you might get value for the talent. Bortles and Bridgewater.

Other than the 3 really old dudes no one on any list I have seen has succeeded as a starter outside of those 2 names. Tannehill finally has and I like him ok, but he suddenly is being talked about as a $25 million a year QB. Crazy town.

I take ultimate responsibility for the list, but let's be clear: Bleacher Report is trash.