PDA

View Full Version : GOOTER is still HIGH on BURKS

Bretsky
02-25-2020, 03:29 PM
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2020/02/25/green-bay-packers-gm-brian-gutekunst-high-aaron-rodgers-oren-burks-and-wide-receiver-class/4867519002/

Bretsky
02-25-2020, 03:31 PM
This is a wist thread specialty; slow times so thought I'd post.

Does ANYBODY else see anything in Burks ?

run pMc
02-25-2020, 04:25 PM
I see an expensive investment in a good ST player and possible depth LB. That the coaches don't trust him after 2 seasons is worrisome. Maybe he's a late bloomer, but I doubt it.
He has physical skills and he's not dumb but I just wonder if he's unable to put it all together on the pro level.

Of course Gute's going to give him the vote of confidence, he's still under contract. I also think Gute will turn around and draft 2 LBs to compete with him.

MadScientist
02-25-2020, 04:26 PM

He said glowing things about every ILB under contract, which is all you can expect at this stage. If he says that the ILB group is a steaming pile of dog shit. All the FA ILB's raise their asking price to well over market, all eyes are on the draft unless they take an ILB R1. Also any of the hold overs (and their will be several) become pissed at the GM for calling them dog shit even if that's what they are.

Joemailman
02-25-2020, 05:04 PM
If he can stay healthy maybe the extra practice reps will help him grasp the defense. The fact he excelled on special teams suggests lack of work ethic isn't the issue. Hard to be optimistic, but there's nothing to be gained from giving up on him at this point.

RashanGary
02-25-2020, 09:28 PM
Fuck.

texaspackerbacker
02-25-2020, 09:50 PM
Burks is not as bad as some in here whine about. He has the physical tools to be a quality starter, and he has done a good job on special teams. There is good reason to hope he could be coached up to play better.

Combine that with the fact that the Packers seldom use two ILBs on the field, and it means drafting early or paying big free agent money for an ILB would not be wise for the Packers unless they fail to re-sign Martinez - and I hope they do keep him.

bobblehead
02-26-2020, 06:05 PM

An athlete with zero instincts. The exact opposite of everything I believe in...but Gutes is making a habit of this type of player.