PDA

View Full Version : WR and Game Planning Thoughts

Bretsky
09-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Just some random thoughts from the game about our WR's.

1. If anybody has doubts about Donald Driver being a capable #1 WR, they are wrong. Maybe he doesn't have the abilities of a TO, but he has the work ethic and route running ability to be a #1. He was the only guy getting open yesterday and the Bears were trying to focus on him more than usual.

2. Greg Jennings- I'm a huge Jennings fan, but after watching yesterday I realize against good CB's who can jam at the line of scrimmage, Jennings really needs to improve. He needs to learn more moves to beat those jams off the line of scrimmage.

3. Ferguson- He's a very physical looking specimen who looks like a Pro Bowl WR before he takes the field. But he just doesn't run good patterns and he just doesn't get open consistently. We just aren't three deep at WR, and TT needs to fix that and put Fergy on special teams where he can hopefully use his abilities to excel at something.

4. Martin was unnoticeable

5. Bubba, heck where was Bubba. Bubba is what Bubba is. A good run blocking TE who can find seams against a zone.

AS FOR MY DISAPPOINTMENTS, they really have to do with some nitpicky things, but I'll list them here.

A. In series one and too much in quarter one, we came out with a 1 WR set. Was there any doubt we were going to run, run, run ? You don't beat superior defenses by running down their throats when we know we have a weak line. We weren't going to be able to pound the run to set up the pass against the Bears. It should not have taken a genius to figure that out. This was a game plan that had no possible good ending.

B. Way way way too many passing plays were called with Robert Ferguson and Greg Jennings in the game, but with Driver on the bench in the first half. Driver needs to be in the game any time Favre is passing; enough said. He's the only guy who can get consistently open against good coverage.

wist43
09-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Have to disagree with your contention that they should have passed more. I thought McCarthy actually had a pretty good run/pass mix until late in the game.

The Packers ran the ball pretty effectively. If they had abandoned the run early, the Bears would have pinned their ears back, and it would have been open season on Brett. The last thing the Packers needed was for Favre to drop back, run for his life, and then start flinging the ball all over the field.

The Packers surely would never admit it, but they had absolutely zero chance of winning that game - and I thought McCarthy did a good job of keeping the team under control for the most part.

The Packers are a young, inexperienced, and generally a pretty bad football team right now... McCarthy needs to be smart enough to recognize that developing the young players and getting better on a weekly basis is the overall goal - eventually that will translate into wins, but it could be quite a while b/4 we get there.

The Leaper
09-11-2006, 07:35 PM
The pass/run mix early was terrible. You can't establish the run against the Bears with our current OL situation. The Packers should have come out passing...with hurry up offense...catching the Bears off guard. Then bring the running game.

We only gained yardage on the ground in situations where the Bears were giving up plays underneath. If this was a game plan dedicated to getting a WIN, it was a failure. If it was a game plan dedicated to developing talent long term, then it was more of a success.

Bretsky
09-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Have to disagree with your contention that they should have passed more. I thought McCarthy actually had a pretty good run/pass mix until late in the game.

The Packers ran the ball pretty effectively. If they had abandoned the run early, the Bears would have pinned their ears back, and it would have been open season on Brett. The last thing the Packers needed was for Favre to drop back, run for his life, and then start flinging the ball all over the field.

The Packers surely would never admit it, but they had absolutely zero chance of winning that game - and I thought McCarthy did a good job of keeping the team under control for the most part.

The Packers are a young, inexperienced, and generally a pretty bad football team right now... McCarthy needs to be smart enough to recognize that developing the young players and getting better on a weekly basis is the overall goal - eventually that will translate into wins, but it could be quite a while b/4 we get there.

Wist,

The past few weeks I've been saying a good mix form the start. MM would need to keep the Bears D off balance. He did not do that. No surprises to a superior D and DL for that team. Look back at series one and two and the sets we were in. We were NOT going to establish the run for the pass against that D. I'm not saying pass more or less; I'm saying we were predictable from the get go.