PDA

View Full Version : 2020 receivers (production/athleticism)

RashanGary
02-28-2020, 01:04 PM
Over the years, production does seem to be the biggest predictor of NFL success for college WR's. Of course, there is more projection with poor QB play, but i'm starting here with production. I'll update this as I have time and the combine finishes, but here's a start.

Jerry Jeudy

Huge sophmore and Junior production. 2,500 yards. 24 touchdowns

6'1" 193
4.45 40 yard dash
35" vert
4.53 short shuttle (very poor)

CeeDee Lamb

Huge sophmore and junior production. 2,500 yards. 25 touchdowns

6'2" 198
4.50 40
34.5" vert

Henry Ruggs iii

New NFL rules making skinny kids last longer. Solids sophmore and junior seasons where he also practiced and played special teams. 1500 yards, 18 touchdowns. 17 yards per catch. Big play guy

5'11" 188 huge hands
4.27 40 (blazing fast)
42" vert (elite explosiveness)

Justin Jefferson

Huge career with Joe Burrow where Burrow would rather throw to a covered Jefferson than a wide open anyone else. 2,400 yards 24 touchdowns. Low recruit with low fan fair who had to earn his spotlight.

6'1" 202 (built thicker than Lamb or Jeudy)
4.43 40 (faster than Lamb or Jeudy)
37.5" vert (more explosive than Lamb or jeudy)

Denzel Mims

3 year production numbers 2,800 yards 30 touchdowns. Huge 3 year production

6'3" 207 (first guy with real sturdy NFL size)
4.38 40 (blazing fast)
38.5 vert (now we're talking)
6.66 3 cone
4.43 shuttle (uh oh, agility too. Que, the moving up draft boards conversation)

Michael Pittman

2000 yards 17 touchdowns so/jr seasons. Big production at USC

6'4" 223 (elite size)
4.52 40 (very good size/speed)
36.5" vert (decent)
6.96 3 cone
4.14 shuttle (really good agility)
COMBINE WINNER for sure

Jalen Reagor

600 yards as a freshman. 1000 as a junior. 600 as a senior (QB play?). Really good production, some questions on QB play around him maybe as a junior. Also practiced and played as a returner. Good sign to see a freshman walk in and be a gamer from day 1.

5'11" 206 (thick)
4.47 40 (fast)
42" vert (explosive af)
7.31 3 cone
4.46 shuttle (poor agility. Straight line only??)

Chase Claypool

Productive Jr and Sr seasons. 1600 yards, 17 touchdowns. QB play at ND? Big time ST coverage player. Striders can catch you off guard with their speed. Kind of a Metcalf sort of prospect so far. Curious to see his agility numbers.

6'4" 238 (megatron size)
4.42 40 (megatron speed)
40.5" vert (megatron leaping)

Quez Watkins

Big Jr and Sr seasons. 1900 yards, 14 touchdowns at southern mississippi

6'0" 185 lbs
4.35 40 (blazing fast)
36.5" vert
7.28 3cone
4.36 shuttle (so/so agility numbers)

Laviska Shanault

Big so/jr seasons. 1800 yards 10 touchdowns and 7 rushing touchdowns

6'1"227 (thick like a RB)
4.58 40 (more explosive than fast but didn't finish testing cuz injury)

Tee Higgins

2100 yards 25 touchdowns 2 year production

6'4" 216
didn't test

KJ Hamler

1700 yards 13 touchdowns 2 year production

5'9" 178
didn't test.

Zool
02-28-2020, 01:13 PM
I was wondering about Mims. Not nearly as much has been said about him as the top 5. Is he going to sneak up into the first round?

call_me_ishmael
02-28-2020, 01:15 PM
Calvin Johnson is probably the greatest prospect to ever enter the NFL, so comparing some 3rd round TE to him is laughable.

RashanGary
02-28-2020, 01:19 PM
Denzen Mims and Michael Pittman are two guys who both have production AND athleticism. Guys I can start to feel excited about at the 30th pick.

RashanGary
02-28-2020, 01:21 PM
Calvin Johnson is probably the greatest prospect to ever enter the NFL, so comparing some 3rd round TE to him is laughable.

Just going off size/speed/leaping here. Productive dude too. Not saying hes megatron, just tests that way and plays well. Might be good omens for the kid.

RashanGary
02-28-2020, 01:35 PM
Pittman, Mims and Jefferson quietly put up big production and then showed up at the combine. Claypool made some noise and had some good production too. The WR depth is looking better now than it did two days ago when people were assuming some of the long striders were slower than they are.

RashanGary
02-28-2020, 01:49 PM
Michael Pittman to me is the biggest riser. He adjusts well to deep balls, back shoulders, low, contested, high..... Catches everything. Big dude, with "my ball" attitude, thrives in traffic and thrives with contact and fierce after catch ability. Blocks. Just a baller in every way. Real good athlete. Sneaky athlete cuz he's tall and fast little legs always look flashier. A worker and grinder. Gonna sharpen his craft.

Kinda has a Jordy feel to me

2nd round maybe but I think he's one of the best in this class and worth a late 1.

RashanGary
02-28-2020, 01:57 PM
Davante made dbs look silly playing more from the slot. Get two big blockers on the outside with Pittman and Lazard, guys who can still get over the top and create separation with their body, solid speed and length.... AR has always thrown nice deep balls to bigger guys. And Davante is a game changer inside....

I'm down with an offense built around run/pass with three fierce gamers at WR.

yetisnowman
02-28-2020, 02:09 PM
Jeudy will be gone. But I mentioned in another thread I love Bama's #2 Ruggs. Dude is explosively fast but also has those quick twitch feet and great hands. He gets space and also makes contested catches. I feel like he's a first rounder and may need to be traded up for. I say go for it. We have to get a young playmaker. Kid will be fantastic.

Zool
02-28-2020, 02:12 PM
Jeudy will be gone. But I mentioned in another thread I love Bama's #2 Ruggs. Dude is explosively fast but also has those quick twitch feet and great hands. He gets space and also makes contested catches. I feel like he's a first rounder and may need to be traded up for. I say go for it. We have to get a young playmaker. Kid will be fantastic.

He probably ran himself into the top 10. That's a stiff price to pay from 30. I usually look at this chart to gauge pick value. It's obviously not perfect, but it should be close.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

RashanGary
02-28-2020, 02:35 PM
NFL Receiving leaders

Michael Thomas (mid 2nd round pick)
Julio Jones (high first)
Chris Godwin (mid 3rd)
Davante Parker (mid 1st)
Keenan Allen (mid 3rd)
Kenny Golloday (late 3rd)
Amari Cooper (high 1st)
DJ Moore (late 1)
Jarvis Landry (late 2)
Deandre Hopkins (late 1)
cooper kupp (early 3rd)
Mike Evans (high 1st)
Allen Robinson (late 2)
Robert Woods (mid 2)
Stephon Diggs (5th)
Julian Edleman (7)
Cortland Sutton (early 2)
michael gallup (mid 3)
john brown (late 3)
tyler lockett (early 3)
aj brown (late 2)
tyler boyd (late 2)
odell beckham (mid1)
DJ Chark(late 2)
MIke Williams (early 1)
Davante Adams (late 2)

9 - 2nd round picks
8 - 1st round picks
7 - 3rd round picks
2 - after the 3rd round

Chances are the guys who go between our 30th pick and the late 2nd rounder are just as good as the ones going early in the first. Might have to make a move from the late 3rd into the middle if we really want our guy in the 3rd round.

RashanGary
02-28-2020, 02:38 PM
And based on the results of recent drafts, guys who go late 1, second and third round are just as good as the guys everyone hypes in round 1. So im gonna go ahead with my Michael Pittman love and respectfully say, fuck you to anyone who doesn't like it :lol:

RashanGary
02-28-2020, 02:44 PM
Round 1 (go with the rare dominant *as it relates to consitently winning his block* big guy OT Josh Jones, Houston
Round 2 (old dirty bastard, my ball, big filthy killer of a WR) Michael Pittman

two probowlers picked out by me :lol:

Get excited!

texaspackerbacker
02-28-2020, 03:05 PM
I like Ruggs in the 3rd or maybe even second round. The other one I like wasn't listed there - Duvernay, 2nd or 3rd also. Then maybe get Cephus as a 5th round bargain. D Line in the first round.

RashanGary
02-28-2020, 04:50 PM
What if.....

Cut Graham
Draft Jones and he's instantly good at RT
Sign Hooper and he pans out
Lazard takes a big step forward
Draft Michael Pittman and he pans out
Sternberger takes a big step

Oh the fun we could have in 2020

mraynrand
02-28-2020, 04:54 PM
What if.....

Cut Graham

Then they're all on IR by week 7

RashanGary
02-28-2020, 05:05 PM
Then they're all on IR by week 7

Well, that's not realistic!

Joemailman
02-28-2020, 05:43 PM
I like Ruggs in the 3rd or maybe even second round. The other one I like wasn't listed there - Duvernay, 2nd or 3rd also. Then maybe get Cephus as a 5th round bargain. D Line in the first round.

Ruggs is probably a top 15 pick. Duvernay you might be able to get in the 3rd.

Joemailman
02-28-2020, 07:02 PM

No. No. No. In my opinion to don't trade up for a WR in a draft this loaded with WR's. If you're going to trade up, do it at a position where the resources are scarce. ILB primarily.

texaspackerbacker
02-28-2020, 10:53 PM
Ruggs is probably a top 15 pick. Duvernay you might be able to get in the 3rd.

I'd be fine with Duvernay - 2nd or 3rd. If all we got was Pittman or somebody similar, we still would not have a speed guy.

I could live with having a top O Lineman like Jones, but I'd rather have a D Lineman like Davis in the 1st. Definitely, we should not go for an ILB in the 1st or 2nd round or probably even 3rd.

Bretsky
02-29-2020, 09:01 AM
What if.....

Cut Graham

CAN WE ADD CEPHUS IN THERE and then I'd be ALL ON BOARD !!!!!!!!!!!!