PDA

View Full Version : My Game Thoughts

Merlin
09-11-2006, 07:55 PM
After watching the game last night I know that a lot of fans sat there with their jaws on the ground. I for one wasn’t one of them. It’s hard to be positive over what on paper appeared to be a total domination of the Packers. Even after the game and the press conferences today, the players themselves are a little shocked. All of the analysts that we thought would be eating crow after game one are now tough ting how right they were and how bad the Packers are. I for one will not fall into that trap. The Bears did look better then I anticipated, however, looks are deceiving. They are not that good and the season will expose them even though they have the easiest schedule in the NFL this season. The Packers overall did not play as a team and they were out coached in every faucet of the game with the exception of the fake punt. I can’t remember the last time I saw a trick play from the Packers and might I add, it’s about friggin time! With all of that said I now give you my analysis of the game:

1) Brett Favre was not put in a position to win. The conservative vanilla offense we saw all pre-season has not changed. There were not enough slant routes called which is something the WCO thrives on. I understand being conservative, but when you are down to arguably the best defense in the NFL, you have to re-think your game plan. You won’t get many chances to score so trying to grind it out more then likely won’t work. You can’t wait until the fourth quarter to let your QB help you.

2) The running game was better then expected. Ahman Green played very well. He ran the ball well, he caught the ball well and he blocked well. He looks to be in top form. However, the idea of run, run, run, and punt left Green Bay with Forrest Gregg and Bart Star back in the 80’s. Establishing the run does not mean 3 rushes in a row! I know that mostly they were short yardage situations, but you have to know your opponent and clearly the coaching staff did not do their home work in short yardage situations.

3) Greg Jennings was a huge disappointment. On several of the passes made to him, he made no attempt to reach the ball if he thought he couldn’t. That is a rookie mistake that will hopefully clear itself up. Although, the signing of Koren Robinson may be a sign that the Packers saw the need for someone who would go to the ball.

4) Outside of the first 49 yard touchdown pass, our secondary played fairly well. It isn’t their fault that Muhammad and Clark had career days. They made Grossman look good. A majority of their catches were phenomenal. Most of the time the coverage was there but they receiver made a great play. I don’t see that as a trend. What I see from that is that our DB’s will arrive a split second earlier after reviewing the film of this game. Once bitten, twice shy.

5) Favre’s sacks were not a result of the Bears good defense. They were the result of two blown assignments (they were OBVIOUS) and Favre getting stepped on. Favre was also hit another 6 times, but that doesn’t seem like much for the kind of pressure the Bears are supposed to bring.

6) Many analysts say that Green got his numbers during “slop” time. At the half Green had what? A 3.9 YPC? He ended with over 5 YPC against the Bears defense. That is sad, “slop” time or not. If a team can run a draw from a shotgun 4 times during a game and get 10 yards a pop, then your defense isn’t very good. Don’t hand me that cover two crap because the Bears were not good in this game defensively. The yards for the Packers may have been low but that was not the Bears doing, it was the Packers doing.

7) On 3rd and short, Green’s forward progress clearly gave Green Bay a first down, the officials marked him 3” short. No Challenge ~ Why? On 4th and inches Favre’s torso clearly went past the first down marker. The officials claimed he lost 2-3”. No Challenge ~ Why?

8) The Packers are driving and there are two holding calls in a row. Why? They replayed one of them and it was a horrible call. My brother and I were like if they are going to call that then the Bears should have 100 of them. The officials blew it on that drive.

9) Favre throws deep to Ferguson, the DB pushes Ferguson to the ground then drops the ball. No call. The announcers are pretty liberal but when you hear the words “Text book pass interference” and no flag, you have to wonder how much the Bears paid them before hand.

10) On the punt return for a touchdown, Ahmad Carol could not get separation from the two blockers because THEY BOTH had a hold of him. One on his right shoulder and the other on his left arm. They played that highlight over and over again to show the return but not one announcer said, “um, that’s holding”. It was holding in a big way, again no call. I am not saying the Packers coverage was good on the return but when your gunner get’s held by two guys in front of the official and they do nothing you know you are not in for a good day.

11) Grossman was rolling to his left because of pressure from KGB. KGB was grabbed by his jersey, spun around kept pursuit and then got grabbed from behind by another Bears player. You could hear someone yell “holding”, but apparently the officials didn’t care to see it.

12) Noah Heron’s fumble: What a crock. According to last year, he was down by contact, which he was because his forward progress had stopped. They showed it enough, it was clear. The official reviews it and said it wasn’t stopped. RIIIIIIGHT, talk about a crock of shit. You knew right then and there that there was no way that these officials were going to let Green Bay play no matter what.

13) My brother and I both agree after last year’s 4-12, that the officials will not only not call blatant calls, but the Packer’s won’t get a break from the officials until they can win games.

14) Favre’s interceptions were after the fact. One was a miscommunication and the other was Favre being Favre. I feel bad that he was even put into that position to begin with.

15) McCarthy looks less emotional on the sidelines then Sherman and that isn’t a good thing. He needs to have “fire” like Holmgren. I hope this was a fluke, if not look for another coach next year.

16) Shottenheimer needs to GO. He is a horrible coach and at times the secondary was like “what coverage are we in?”.

Overall I know that the Packers will improve. Hopefully it’s by this up coming weekend. I am not however holding my breath. One of the things the Packers used to do well was to adjust their game plan as the game wore on. That hasn’t happened in 3 years and I don’t see that happening now. We shall see. BTW, Aaron Rodgers in NOT our best chance to win. I would rather see Ingle Martin in there because that guy has nothing to play for.

red
09-11-2006, 08:06 PM
wow, very nice well thought out rant