PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IF ....WE.....DRAFTED......A RB HIGH ???????????????????

Bretsky
03-27-2020, 08:38 PM
REAL TOPIC

The case for paying RB's a lot of money has not turned out well lately.

Aaron Jones...18 TD's

You all know I've been Aaron Jones Greatest Pimp in here; I got him last year in every fantasy auction league I was in because I knew he was undervalued

But another season like that one ? That could mean a contract in excess of 12 MIL/Year

Could It be more ?

Thanks of the expensive Backs signed to big second contracts . Lav Bell to the Jets. How'd that work ? Todd Gurley. How'd that work ? Zeke--To be Determined----But he's cream of crop along with probably McFadden and Barkley.

IF the Packers are not going to pay big money to Aaron Jones, would you be upset if Green Bay drafted a RB, like perhaps Jonathon Taylor, or JK Dobbins, high, in preparation of the possiblility of losing my man, AJO

texaspackerbacker
03-27-2020, 11:13 PM
All I can say is if we do, it better be Jonathan Taylor. The guy is Ezekial Elliot minus the bad attitude. But no, we won't and we shouldn't draft a RB before maybe the 6th round.

call_me_ishmael
03-27-2020, 11:19 PM
I would not pay big bucks to a running back. I wouldn't resign Aaron Jones. I realize you've gotta pay somebody, so I'd pay for essential folks that are undervalued. OTs, DL, CB.

smuggler
03-28-2020, 07:19 AM
We might actually take a RB in round 2 or 3, realistically. Both our backs are free agents at the end of '20.

run pMc
03-28-2020, 07:40 AM
We might actually take a RB in round 2 or 3, realistically. Both our backs are free agents at the end of '20.
Yes. Unless they can very carefully structure a contract, I struggle to see how they keep him, Clark, and Bahktiari (all FA next year). Plus there's the durability question, although I'd argue he answered that, as well as MLF helping to keep him healthy.

I don't know that they will draft a RB high though. Taylor or Dobbins would be my pick, but I haven't watched Swift out of Georgia. They can get away with lower round guys, and the depth is decent this year. My votes would be for

Darrynton Evans: One-cut runner, can catch passes and operate in outside zone, and ran a 4.41.
Clyde Edwards-Helaire: Dangerous and productive receiver for LSU, has good enough instincts as a runner but not great speed.

bobblehead
03-28-2020, 08:42 AM
At the 30 pick, you have lost the cream of most positions, but you might just get your pick of top RB. Of course, as always I believe in BPA.

Bretsky
03-28-2020, 04:52 PM
At the 30 pick, you have lost the cream of most positions, but you might just get your pick of top RB. Of course, as always I believe in BPA.

Odds are pretty good we could draft the top RB

And odds are good the Ohio State multip purpose back will be there in round 2

Those are really nice options

call_me_ishmael
03-28-2020, 09:14 PM
I would much rather do that than pat Jones.

Bretsky
03-28-2020, 09:27 PM
I would much rather do that than pat Jones.

It's a real debate. Aaron Jones is playing for very little right now. SO most likely he's going to try to get paid in his 2nd contract.

call_me_ishmael
03-28-2020, 10:23 PM
It's a real debate. Aaron Jones is playing for very little right now. SO most likely he's going to try to get paid in his 2nd contract.

And he absolutely should - he's a really good player who the Packers use well. That said - my opinion is this type of player is available every year and often misused. Is Curtis Samual really that different than Aaron Jones? Both are good receivers. Both struggle at pass blocking. Both are very explosive and have insane acceleration. I worry a lot about Jones as the every down guy on a longer term contract.

Tony Oday
03-29-2020, 11:25 AM
I'd rather have Jones than Clark. Clark is so overrated and he is going to get monster money.

smuggler
03-29-2020, 11:50 AM
Nah. Clark is more important to our success over the next five years than Jones, even if Jones is the better player at his position. Need one more horse on the DL.

texaspackerbacker
03-29-2020, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I have to go with Clark too as more important ...... but the key question is, why not both? Other teams don't force themselves to sacrifice like that - I wrote in a different post about the many massive contracts the Cowboys have for example.

Regarding Aaron Jones, I want to see much more use of Dexter Williams this year - preseason extremely and some in the real games too; Why? To determine if the Jones phenomenon is because Jones is so good, or if any fairly decent RB could have that kind of success due to teams needing to concentrate on Aaron Rodgers and the passing game.

run pMc
03-29-2020, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I have to go with Clark too as more important ...... but the key question is, why not both? Other teams don't force themselves to sacrifice like that - I wrote in a different post about the many massive contracts the Cowboys have for example.

Regarding Aaron Jones, I want to see much more use of Dexter Williams this year - preseason extremely and some in the real games too; Why? To determine if the Jones phenomenon is because Jones is so good, or if any fairly decent RB could have that kind of success due to teams needing to concentrate on Aaron Rodgers and the passing game.

At a glance, I'd say the Cowboys rolled over more cap space, so they can use it.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

So they aren't actually working with the exact same cap space. Signing Turner, Amos and the Smiths used up a lot of cap space.

Also, GB has 11 players with cap hits over $5M, with Ricky Wagner just missing from being the 12th. Cowboys have 8.

I'd rather they keep Clark and Bahktiari, and draft reinforcements/replacements for them + Jones. By now it's well established you can get a good RB after Round 2, and you don't really need to have a bell-cow to be effective. You can have RB by committee and just ride the hot-hand/go on matchups. Look at SF with Coleman/Brieda/Mostert.

pbmax
03-29-2020, 02:50 PM
No.