PDA

View Full Version : 2020 NFL DRAFT DEFENSIVE LINE TIERS

Deputy Nutz
04-02-2020, 01:52 PM
2020 Draft Tiers - Defensive Line

Decent group of talent in 2020, but not nearly as talented or lofted with the expectations of the 2019 class of defensive linemen. Overall there are two linemen guaranteed to go in the first round with a few others sniffing around the edges of the first round. This group has some athletes but overall there are not many big block eaters in this group.

Tier 1 - Possibly two top ten picks in this group, but I doubt it. It’s more like top 20.

Derrick Brown Auburn 6’5” 326 - If you want to build a prototypical defensive tackle I think Derrick Brown’s physical stature would be a good place to start. He is massive, and has very long arms that when he uses them along with his hips he can press 330 pound blockers off of him with ease. Something that might go unnoticed about him is his motor, he will chase plays downfield and although his combine will tell you that he doesn’t run especially well his film disagrees with his test numbers. He takes really good angles to the football. Against Alabama, the Tide decidedly ran the ball away from him 75% of the time making him beat cut off zone blocks and chase from the backside. He will get himself stalemated in the passing game when he stops moving his feet and peaking to locate the football. When he activates his hands, and uses pass rushing moves he can be successful putting pressure on the QB. He is agile enough to stunt at the next level. For such a big guy he does need to have better pad level, and play better against double teams.

Javon Kinlaw South Carolina 6’5” 324 - Very big, very strong and very unpolished. If he can’t beat the blocker with strength and brute force than he doesn’t make a lot of progress. Strong offensive lines can neutralize him. He is tall, and this affects his pad level along with his balance, when he stands up and gets extended he falls over. He needs to learn how to disengage from blockers and play the shock and awe game. Not overall dynamic off the snap. What he brings to the table is sheer force and strength that coaches can’t wait to get their hands on to work with. Against lesser offensive lines he plays a man’s game against boys.

Deputy Nutz
04-02-2020, 01:53 PM
Tier 2 - These linemen can all be first round draft picks or at the very worst early day 2 picks. They are not overly big linemen but these guys get their numbers through their athleticism.

Ross Blacklock TCU 6’3” 290 - I wouldn’t go so far as to say that he is undersized but he might not have the length or weight to fit in every scheme. Blacklock jumps off the snap and if he can beat the offensive linemen into the gap he usually can be disruptive. If he gets cut off or engaged he struggles to get off blocks or even extend his undersized arms. He has good lateral quickness and foot speed, but he can get overwhelmed and stonewalled if offensive linemen square up on him. He needs to gain some mass and keep his lateral quickness and his jump off the ball.

Justin Mudubuike Texas A&M 6’3” 293 - High motor kid that is built with a thick torso and lower body. Sort of looks like a linebacker. He doesn’t have the first step that Blacklock has but you could make a lot of comparisons to their style of play. Mudubuike seems to have the ability to be in the right place at the right time as he can bat balls down on what seems like a regular basis. He needs to improve his interior pass rushing as it is non existent unless he is running a stunt or is long stemming a gap. He needs to learn to attack first with hands and add more pass rushing moves to his rep. He also needs to keep his feet moving at contact. His recognition is pretty good.

Neville Gallimore Oklahoma 6’2” 304 - Probably has the most active hands and bangs the drums better than many on this list. He does a nice job of getting skinny in the gap, but struggles at times to square up the line of scrimmage and hold his gap in the run game. High motor kid that will chase plays away from him. His biggest knock on him is consistency and one thing he can’t control is height, most scouts would like another inch or two. Similar build to Mudubuike and Blacklock. Gallimore probably offers more in terms of pass rush than anyone else in this tier.

Marlon Davidson Auburn 6’3” 304 - The question with Davidson is how productive or was his bounty a contribution of playing alongside Brown? Auburn used Davidson in a number of different ways, from a 0 tech all the way out to stand up 5 technique. I don’t think he has the ability at the next level to be a stand up edge rusher, but he could be a strong 5 tech tackle or end in a 4-3 defense, or as an end in a 3-4. The lack of overall length could be an issue as an end. Stout against the run, there is no back up in Davidson. He doesn’t have the explosive get off that you would like to see, but he isn’t slow off the ball either. He has a nice dip of the shoulder coming off the edge, I would like to see him with a little more shock or punch power into the offensive linemen, he doesn’t do enough to put the offensive tackle on skates. He is a solid player against the run, and has more than one way to get the passer.

Deputy Nutz
04-02-2020, 01:56 PM
Tier 3 -These are day 2 guys probably late second round to third round players. These guys like most defensive linemen drafted will be expected to contribute. These guys have some things to fix technique wise but have the ability to play meaningful snaps in the 2020 season. Big tier here with a string of linemen that could get drafted one after another.

Leki Fotu Utah 6’5” 330 - Fotu is a massive human with long arms and large hands. As big men goes you can check the boxes on lack of flexibility, and plays too high off the snap, but he is athletic especially for his size. He absolutely has to get better with his hand punch and using his frame to out leverage offensive linemen. For a player his size he can jump the snap and fire off the ball. Fotu can be in the backfield in a split second which is relatively rare for a player his size. If a NFL coach can break him of the sumo mentality he could be player at the next level.

Davon Hamilton Ohio St. 6’4” 320 - The could be quite a bit of upside as he didn’t see starter snaps until his senior year at Ohio St. He is a big strong linemen that could fit most NFL schemes. He has work to do as a pass rusher but that could simply be developmental at this point. A negative that stands out on film is his hip flexibility and getting enough torque from his hips and making use of his fundamental strength in his lower half. He has a large upper body that fails him at times because his lower half struggles to engage. For a larger defensive linemen he has better than average get off and can shoot gaps and be disruptive. He is at his best when he fires off the ball low, keeping his eyes below the offensive linemen’s chin, but when he pops out of his stance, most likely due to his hip tightness he struggles to get a viable push.

Raekwon Davis Alabama 6’6” 311 - Offers a lot in terms of overall length in his height and arms. Davis has sort of hit that threshold in terms of almost being too tall as his first instinct is to stand up automatically making him look over offensive linemen’s hats. His lower half seems skinny to me and he doesn’t come off the ball with enough force and speed, mostly because he gets vertical too fast. Davis struggles with change of direction and locating the football. If the ball isn’t run to his gap then getting himself to the ball is a problem. His best trait is he doesn’t get blown up and keeps himself active holding the point of attack using his long arms. He is really good when he keeps himself square to the line of scrimmage and his head over his knees. He is tall so when he does play with leverage he plays at a different level then those 3 or 4 inches shorter than him.

Rashard Lawrence LSU 6’2” 302 - Very wide shouldered guy with a thick torso, but blessed with above average arm length. He just has to get better using the length in his arms, but it might be a bit of nature because of how wide his shoulders are, his arm length is negated in a way. He isn’t a great athlete but he does a nice job of recognizing blocking schemes and fighting off of it. He isn’t fast twitch at all but he has some dog in him and can hold the point, always scraping to get to the ball. Doesn’t offer much as a pass rusher from the 4 tech or 5. He has a nice arm over technique that works to disengage from blocks.

Nick Coe Auburn 6’5” 280 - Tested with the linebacker group at the combine in truth he is more of a 3-4 edge rusher even a 4 tech to a 5 tech with his hand in the ground. He offers teams a lot of flexibility where they can play him, he probably needs to either drop a 15 pounds or gain 15 pounds to secure a constant position versus just being a rotational guy. He has some good pass rush with a nice shoulder dip and punch but gets in trouble when his feet stop moving. Coe is not the most instinctual guy but high level coaching could help him in this area.

Mctelvin Agim Arkansas 6’3” 309 - If there is a true sleeper in this crew for 2020 with a high ceiling it could be Agim. He could make an impact as a rotational interior pass rusher for a team as when he sets up to pass rush he has a couple of good techniques that he can use and coupled with a good charge off the snap he could develop as a long term starter if he gets into the right fit with the right positional coach. Where he struggles is reading blocks, when he is in position where he is guessing he can be driven off the LOS. This goes back to his ability to use and extend his hands to create seperation, like most he also needs to work on loosening up his hips and getting better bend.

Deputy Nutz
04-02-2020, 01:59 PM
Tier 4 - These guys either lack experience, athletic ability, or size that will make them a hot commodity on draft day. There are some guys that could slide into a rotation in 2020 either on early downs, or some that might offer a little something as pass rushers. Look to see some of them pop off late on day 2 but most likely this Tier will hear their names called on day 3.

Jordan Elliott Missouri 6’4” 302 - Reading his write up from other paper scouts I was sort of high on him, liked him for the Packers somewhere on day 2. After watching him with my own eyes there are big chunks of the game where he just looks sort of lost out on the field. He needs to get better at recognizing blocks by the offensive linemen because it almost seems he is happy to go where they are blocking him. His get off is below average and although he engages his hands his feet don’t seem to go anywhere He is unassuming in the run game and seems to struggle to hold ground against double teams.

Larrell Murchison NC St 6’2” 297 - Stout at eating up blocks, but struggles to consistently get off block and put himself in position to be a disruption to offenses. His best asset is his charge and keeping decent to good leverage. His overall lack of length will be something he needs to overcome at the next level for him to be successful, he needs to engage his hands faster especially when recognizing pass sets because once he gets engulfed he can’t disengage and he it’s like he is in cement. So he obviously needs to work on getting his hands and feet to work together. It’s like he knows what to do he is just a second or two too late.

Jason Strowbridge North Carolina 6’4” 275 - Strowbridge is a tweener in terms of size and athleticism with very little positive. He timed relatively decent at the combine, but you don’t see the suddenness and flash off the snap that you would like to see out of someone that is only 275 pounds. He looks to be more of a 4-3 end, as his best matchup would be as 6 tech or 6i on Tight ends, he doesn’t have the skill as an outside pass rusher. He could add 25 to 35 pounds and his responsibilities as a run stopper could improve. He does work with a good punch and strong hands, if he would play with even better leverage he could control the line of scrimmage.

Brayvvion Roy Baylor 6’1” 320 - When he is a ble to choose a side and shoot a gap with swim, or a slap move he can cause disruption in the backfield. If he is asked to play the point of attack his lack of length can be worrisome, as he isn’t flexible enough in the lower half to keep a lower pad level to create the needed leverage to create chaios. He could impact a roster as a rotational player as an inside pass rusher. He could be drafted as a late round project.

Benito Jones Ole’ Miss 6’1” 316 - His measurables aren’t there, his combine numbers are questionable, but his tape will show a guy looking to hand fight and cause disruption on the line of scrimmage. He may simply not have the length to play nose in a 3-4 but if he lands to a team that asks him to be a true one gapper he could add value as a penetrator.

HarveyWallbangers
04-17-2020, 03:49 PM
Tier 2 - These linemen can all be first round draft picks or at the very worst early day 2 picks. They are not overly big linemen but these guys get their numbers through their athleticism.

Ross Blacklock TCU 6’3” 290 - I wouldn’t go so far as to say that he is undersized but he might not have the length or weight to fit in every scheme. Blacklock jumps off the snap and if he can beat the offensive linemen into the gap he usually can be disruptive. If he gets cut off or engaged he struggles to get off blocks or even extend his undersized arms. He has good lateral quickness and foot speed, but he can get overwhelmed and stonewalled if offensive linemen square up on him. He needs to gain some mass and keep his lateral quickness and his jump off the ball.

Justin Mudubuike Texas A&M 6’3” 293 - High motor kid that is built with a thick torso and lower body. Sort of looks like a linebacker. He doesn’t have the first step that Blacklock has but you could make a lot of comparisons to their style of play. Mudubuike seems to have the ability to be in the right place at the right time as he can bat balls down on what seems like a regular basis. He needs to improve his interior pass rushing as it is non existent unless he is running a stunt or is long stemming a gap. He needs to learn to attack first with hands and add more pass rushing moves to his rep. He also needs to keep his feet moving at contact. His recognition is pretty good.

Neville Gallimore Oklahoma 6’2” 304 - Probably has the most active hands and bangs the drums better than many on this list. He does a nice job of getting skinny in the gap, but struggles at times to square up the line of scrimmage and hold his gap in the run game. High motor kid that will chase plays away from him. His biggest knock on him is consistency and one thing he can’t control is height, most scouts would like another inch or two. Similar build to Mudubuike and Blacklock. Gallimore probably offers more in terms of pass rush than anyone else in this tier.

Watched these three guys, and I think I'd go 1) Gallimore, 2) Blacklock, 3) Madubuike. I think he's a bit better than the other two guys in both pass rush potential and as a run defender. I expected to like the pass rush potential of the other two guys more because they are a little more athletic and smaller than Gallimore--but Gallimore is skilled. Good hand usage, power, and quickness. Plus, he's a high effort guy.

I'd be okay with taking Gallimore late 1st round.

HarveyWallbangers
04-17-2020, 05:11 PM
My man from NDSU getting some love from Steelers Depot (a really solid site). Late day 2 is their protection.

Just not sure he can play as a 3-4 OLB. 4-3 DE most likely.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/04/2020-nfl-draft-player-profiles-north-dakota-st-olb-derrek-tuszka/

Joemailman
04-17-2020, 07:20 PM
Blacklock weighed in at 305 at the Combine. Don't know if that was his playing weight or if he bulked up for the Combine after his season was over. At any rate, he ran well at that weight.

Deputy Nutz
04-18-2020, 01:05 PM
The NFL Combine listed him at 290
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ross-blacklock?id=3219424c-4124-6567-64a2-94c97f8f8038

Joemailman
04-18-2020, 07:37 PM
The NFL Combine listed him at 290
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ross-blacklock?id=3219424c-4124-6567-64a2-94c97f8f8038

Okay, looks like the 305 was his weight at TCU before he hurt his achilles which cost him the 2018 season. He lost the weight after that.

wist43
04-18-2020, 09:45 PM
I've looked at most of these guys, and my ranking of them has been somewhat fluid.

I know the good and bad tape on Elliot... just depends on which guy you think you're getting. That will depend on the face to face meeting they had and the recommendation/review from the Missouri coaching staff. If he checks those boxes, I'm okay with him at 30.

I have Madubuike in the 3rd-4th round range.

Davidson and Gallimore in the 2nd round.

Blacklock at 30.

Don't like Fotu at all.

Hoping to see a big jump from Keke this year, but we definitely need to add some bodies on the DL in this draft.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2020, 03:10 AM
Nutz, what are your thoughts on James Lynch, Khalil Davis, and Raequan Williams? Lynch was productive, tested relatively well in the agility drills, not so much in explosiveness. He has short arms. Those traits remind me of Dean Lowry. Davis has good athleticism, and he looks like he could be a good rotational inside rusher as a 4-3 DT. He doesn't have enough power to be an early down player. Williams has some good moments on film. Not a great athlete and gets a little high. He played mostly DT, but any chance he could transition to 3-4 DE?

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2020, 03:12 AM
I've looked at most of these guys, and my ranking of them has been somewhat fluid.

I know the good and bad tape on Elliot... just depends on which guy you think you're getting. That will depend on the face to face meeting they had and the recommendation/review from the Missouri coaching staff. If he checks those boxes, I'm okay with him at 30.

I have Madubuike in the 3rd-4th round range.

Davidson and Gallimore in the 2nd round.

Blacklock at 30.

Don't like Fotu at all.

Hoping to see a big jump from Keke this year, but we definitely need to add some bodies on the DL in this draft.

I kind of like Fotu. He's a massive, powerful dude--and looks to have a bit of pass rush ability.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2020, 03:17 AM
I was underwhelmed by Elliott and Coe. Agim is intriguing. I expected to see a big run stuffing NT before I watched Roy. Just the opposite. He has a bit of pass rush potential, but he doesn't anchor well for somebody that's 333lbs.

Deputy Nutz
04-20-2020, 09:35 AM
Nutz, what are your thoughts on James Lynch, Khalil Davis, and Raequan Williams? Lynch was productive, tested relatively well in the agility drills, not so much in explosiveness. He has short arms. Those traits remind me of Dean Lowry. Davis has good athleticism, and he looks like he could be a good rotational inside rusher as a 4-3 DT. He doesn't have enough power to be an early down player. Williams has some good moments on film. Not a great athlete and gets a little high. He played mostly DT, but any chance he could transition to 3-4 DE?

Here is my take on those three guys
Lynch - Very much a Dean Lowry clone - He doesn't win on athleticism paired with technique, he just outworks the offensive lineman to get to the QB or the ball. Oklahoma killed him on zone read don't know if it was scheme or if he just didn't do his job, but one play he would go to the QB, next he would go to the RB, then he would attack the mesh and was a second late at that as well. I don't see him as a fit for an NFL 3-4.

K. Davis - Sort of a fire plug with a great combine for a defensive lineman. He sort of gets mauled against a power running game. Watch the first couple series against Wisconsin in 2018 and he got blown up. If you can't hold the point and shed in college the next level is going to be difficult. Doesn't get off the ball quick enough for someone that is undersized, poor play with his hands and pad level.

Raequan Williams - If this guy would just play consistently he would by talked about in the upper tiers of DLs. He comes off the ball with good drive and extension and he can demonstrate how to get extension and release from offensive linemen, he has a quick little swim move to jump a gap. Unfortunately he doesn't like to get double teamed and gets blown out almost every time, fighting a double team is effort with a lot of technique thrown in, he doesn't have either. The potential is really good for Williams, I like his length a lot

GB-Brandon
04-21-2020, 02:23 PM
We’re good on pass rush finally. Need a “Plugger”. Devon Hamilton would be the safe pick for me with R. Davis being the high ceiling guy.

Either would be an upgrade over “Team Northwestern”

Deputy Nutz
04-21-2020, 04:21 PM
Do you understand how football works?

Smidgeon
04-21-2020, 04:26 PM

Ooh! Shots fired. :o

GB-Brandon
04-21-2020, 06:14 PM

Yeah I played at a pretty high level so I think I’m qualified.

Let me tell ya “How It Works”

Number 1. STOP THE FU****G Run!!!!

Number 2. Once you “Can Stop the Run” and get teams “behind the chains” then provide pass rush with ball Hawks in the Secondary and have some success.

Number 3. STOP THE FU****G Run!!!

Number 4. STOP THE FU****G Run!!!

Is this making sense? I think it’s a pretty simple concept. Somehow we’ve practiced it backwards and got “RAN THE F*** OVER”

Also, quit drafting people out of position with top picks with all these fantasies of what they could do. Draft them to do what they do well and implement them that way. Pretty simple stuff?

I think so.

GB-Brandon
04-21-2020, 06:22 PM
This is how Football “is not supposed to work”. I can tell ya that too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma9XORfw_bM&feature=share

GB-Brandon
04-21-2020, 06:29 PM
It blows me away how ten years of drafting defense first along with spending huge $ in free agency and we can’t even “STOP THE RUN”

It’s embarrassing!!!

yetisnowman
04-21-2020, 06:35 PM
That entire game can be summed up on SF's first scoring play. 3rd and 8 from GB's 36. The confidence and audacity to run a draw. Untouched for a TD.

GB-Brandon
04-21-2020, 08:01 PM
They were obviously issued “roller skates” before the game because they got moved all over the field in the worst way. It wasn’t even close how bad they got beat upfront.

So Yeah, I want a big bully that can occupy his space on early run downs and run heavy teams. Right now we have one guy that can do it in this Gizmo Defense. Tired of this finesse crap. Go take someone’s lunch $ upfront.

“Basic Stuff”

GB-Brandon
04-21-2020, 08:37 PM
Look like Gute Agrees.

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0OoufZ1x?pd=02g6SRym&s=i0

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2020, 12:55 AM
My DL Board:

1 1 Derrick Brown Auburn
2 1 Javon Kinlaw South Carolina
3 1-2 Neville Gallimore Oklahoma
4 2 Ross Blacklock TCU
5 2 Justin Madubuike Texas A&M
6 2-3 Raekwon Davis Alabama
7 2-3 Marlon Davidson Auburn
8 3 Leki Fotu Utah
9 3-4 Jordan Elliott Missouri
10 3-4 DaVon Hamilton Ohio State
11 4 McTelvin Agim Arkansas
12 4 James Lynch Baylor
13 4-5 Rashard Lawrence LSU
14 4-5 Larrell Murchison North Carolina State
15 5-6 Raequan Williams Michigan State
16 5-6 Khalil Davis Nebraska
17 6-7 Bravvion Roy Baylor
18 6-7 Nick Coe Auburn
19 7-FA Benito Jones Mississippi

Other DL that I watched, but deemed as UDFA:
Josiah Coatney, Malcolm Roach, John Penisini

Deputy Nutz
04-22-2020, 09:40 AM
Yeah I played at a pretty high level so I think I’m qualified.

Let me tell ya “How It Works”

Number 1. STOP THE FU****G Run!!!!

Number 2. Once you “Can Stop the Run” and get teams “behind the chains” then provide pass rush with ball Hawks in the Secondary and have some success.

Number 3. STOP THE FU****G Run!!!

Number 4. STOP THE FU****G Run!!!

Is this making sense? I think it’s a pretty simple concept. Somehow we’ve practiced it backwards and got “RAN THE F*** OVER”

Also, quit drafting people out of position with top picks with all these fantasies of what they could do. Draft them to do what they do well and implement them that way. Pretty simple stuff?

I think so.

Either use the word "FUCK" or don't. Grow up.

Run pluggers are nice, but the league switched about a 2 decades ago where offenses were throwing the football at all time high. The high priced, one down or two down defensive lineman that weighed 340 pounds that just squatted in a gap became a dinosaur in the NFL. It is also the same reason you don't need 250 pound middle linebackers that can cover. If the Packers or any other team is going to play two down in their nickel or dime defense then you better draft or sign guys that can hold against the run and get pressure as well. I agree the Northwestern guys are not an ideal fit for a hybrid 3-4 defense, short on length and athleticism doesn't work well, and if you are going to have guys short on talent, then you should diversify that group as much as possible.

So San Fran realized that they have an over priced QB that can't really move the ball consistently with his arm, so they relied on a zone scheme and had a lot of success with it especially against the Packers. I think it is great for football as high powered running attacks have always been my favorite thing to watch. Defenses should take not and can't build only to stop the pass, this means carrying one or two less defensive backs and one or two more box players, but I don't think the tide has completely shifted yet on the high profile passing game in the NFL.

run pMc
04-22-2020, 10:53 AM
SF did that most of the year to teams, not just GB. Running was their bread and butter and set up everything else they did. Daddy Shanahan was a big run guy too.
I do think Kenny Clark needs a running mate on the line, and I don't think Lowry or Lancaster is that person. They are decent depth guys but not starter worthy. I'm not convinced this is the draft where they will find that person, but you never know. Keke might emerge or maybe (unlikely) Monty Adams finally figures it out and plays up to his potential.

As for LBs, I'd rather have speed at that level than big dudes. I would keep one big plugger for 4th and short. The passing game is a major part of the game and you need guys who can cover IMO. Not a fan of playing just any safety as a moneybacker, but some can do it. Amos goes about 6'0 210 and Greene is listed at 5'11 200, that's on the small side for dealing with OG's moveing to the second level. I'd think for that you'd want a bigger safety in the Josh Jones mold (Tanner Muse? Chinn?) who have better size and length to shed/avoid blocks.

The other thing with SF running on GB is it sounds like Pettine emphasizes defending the pass over the run, and it also sounds like they don't play a lot of straight 3-4 like they did in the NFCCG. So Shanahan had a smart if obvious game plan - make GB stop the run and play a seldom used defense package. I would expect Pettine will change it up a bit and focus on improving the run defense if he wants to keep his job.

Deputy Nutz
04-22-2020, 11:21 AM
Packers don't have a safety that is a natural hybrid "moneybacker". I think there are a couple mid rounders and late rounders in this draft that you could take a swing at and see if they work out.

Against San Fran in the Playoffs, I thought both Smiths played like garbage, and I think Martinez really struggled in combination with the poor play of the Smiths. Lancaster and Lowry demonstrated they can't hold up playing every down.

GB-Brandon
04-22-2020, 11:28 AM
The bottom line is there are teams like the Niners, Titans, Seahawks Ravens that are “run first teams”

So you either get a guy or two that can hold up and have the ability to be versatile scheme wise or pray you don’t face them in the playoffs.

Once again for a franchise to draft defense first for ten years and break the bank on free agent acquisitions this is completely unacceptable. It has just become the same old worn out story over and over again.

The Tape is UGLY!!!!

The whole world saw how to run then Packers over. Expect teams to test the Packers run defense all year.

GB-Brandon
04-22-2020, 11:37 AM
This whole “Championship Style Defense” is a GIANT PIPE DREAM!!! Never gonna happen. Too many moving parts with franchise QB cap hit. It’s always been a “Failed Vision”

It was never gonna get any better for us on defense then last season. We had close too a 100 percent healthy roster. Where was our big 12th picks in the draft? He couldn’t even get on the field and get snaps cause he is so MEDIOCRE!!!

The chances are the Packers won’t be as healthy this year on defense. The odds don’t add up.

It’s a joke to keep pouring premium gasoline on this fire.

#INSANITY

Deputy Nutz
04-22-2020, 11:55 AM
2011 Green Bay Packers Statistics & Players
Record: 15-1-0, 1st in NFC North Division (Schedule and Results)
Coach: Mike McCarthy (15-1-0)
Points For: 560 (35.0/g) 1st of 32.
Points Against: 359 (22.4/g) 19th of 32.
Expected W-L: 11.9-4.1.
Playoffs: Lost Divisional Round 20-37 vs.
Offensive Coordinator: Joe Philbin.
Defensive Coordinator: Dom Capers

Compare to

2019 Green Bay Packers Statistics & Players
Record: 13-3-0, 1st in NFC North Division (Schedule and Results)
Coach: Matt LaFleur (13-3-0)
Points For: 376 (23.5/g) 15th of 32.
Points Against: 313 (19.6/g) 9th of 32.
Expected W-L: 9.7-6.3.
Playoffs: Won Divisional Round 28-23 vs. ...
Offensive Coordinator: Nathaniel Hackett.
Defensive Coordinator: Mike Pettine.

Not just these stats, but overall your idea of offensive over defense is flawed. A good defense will keep you in games when your offense sputters. You simply can't have one without the other and the 2011 season demonstrated this. If the Packers are to make it back to the Super Bowl and win it they can't simply ignore the defensive issues. Gute is doing his best to remodel the defense, and at the same time add to the offense. I agree that the Packers need a to draft at least one receiver that can compete in 2019 and the Packers are lucky because this draft is loaded at receiver. It is why the round or exact pick doesn't matter. They could easily find a receiver in round three that could put up the same numbers as a receiver in round 1.

Lets remember the NFC Championship game fell on the shoulders of the defense, but the offense was absolutely terrible for the first 25 minutes of the game with lost yardage, turn overs, and consecutive 3 and outs. The defense took it on the chin, but the offense was dominated up front when they tried to pass. The offense didn't get going until adjustments were made in the running game.

pbmax
04-22-2020, 11:58 AM
The bottom line is there are teams like the Niners, Titans, Seahawks Ravens that are “run first teams”

So you either get a guy or two that can hold up and have the ability to be versatile scheme wise or pray you don’t face them in the playoffs.

Once again for a franchise to draft defense first for ten years and break the bank on free agent acquisitions this is completely unacceptable. It has just become the same old worn out story over and over again.

The Tape is UGLY!!!!

Somehow don't recall same problems with Seahawks run game. Its not a defend a run first offense problem. The Niners are a complete team that can shut down your scoring for long stretches and then run against you even when you expect it and then pass well enough to keep you honest.

Packers had three TOs in 49ers playoff game and they still played better than the regular season game (reg season was -23 EP, playoff was -12). First game they were their normal bad against the run (5.1 surrendered) and they were burned by Kittle. Second game they were more concerned about Kittle and gave up 285 rush yards at a 6.8 ypc clip that was so bad that surrender doesn't do it justice.

They abused the part of the D that the Packers tend not to spend resources on, interior D, ILB and safety.

And Nutz is right, you can't just stick in a wide body to occupy 2 gaps because the Niners will throw on you and that guy can't pass rush. Niners gashed the Nitro/moneybacker D.

A run stuffer helps only when the offense obliges you and the Niners try not to do that. Packers need total upgrades. To a degree, an actual run stuffer would be an improvement over Lancaster. But that isn't what you want out of the first or second round.

GB-Brandon
04-22-2020, 03:26 PM
Somehow don't recall same problems with Seahawks run game. Its not a defend a run first offense problem. The Niners are a complete team that can shut down your scoring for long stretches and then run against you even when you expect it and then pass well enough to keep you honest.

Packers had three TOs in 49ers playoff game and they still played better than the regular season game (reg season was -23 EP, playoff was -12). First game they were their normal bad against the run (5.1 surrendered) and they were burned by Kittle. Second game they were more concerned about Kittle and gave up 285 rush yards at a 6.8 ypc clip that was so bad that surrender doesn't do it justice.

They abused the part of the D that the Packers tend not to spend resources on, interior D, ILB and safety.

And Nutz is right, you can't just stick in a wide body to occupy 2 gaps because the Niners will throw on you and that guy can't pass rush. Niners gashed the Nitro/moneybacker D.

A run stuffer helps only when the offense obliges you and the Niners try not to do that. Packers need total upgrades. To a degree, an actual run stuffer would be an improvement over Lancaster. But that isn't what you want out of the first or second round.

First of all we played a Seahawks team that was devastated by injuries. There offensive line had 3 or 4 starters out. They brought Lynch out of retirement because there top 3 RB’s were hurt. With all of that our defense looked slow and gassed and almost gave the game away. If our offense doesn’t get that first down the Seahawks probably win with the way our defense played in the second half. I would not call that game a massive defensive victory. So basically OUR OFFENSE was our defense late in that game. Belichick squeezes the clock all the time with his offense and uses it as a form of defense.

Also. Somehow the Seahawks were able to somewhat contain the Niners run game. They even beat the niners and almost beat them a second time. Guess how they did it? Seahawks were working with “Less Talent” too.

4-3 Base and big bodied run pluggers. This isn’t rocket science.

The Niners threw the ball 8 times so I don’t know what your referring too as far as “not Having pass rush”. We couldn’t even get them into a passing situation. The running lanes were so huge that we could of probably made it through some of them. We couldn’t do anything. We couldn’t set the edge. Guys were getting pushed around an moved all over the field like rag dolls. DB’s were put into situations that weren’t good. It was TOTAL DOMiNATIOM in every sense. Some of this is on Pettine and some of it is on the guys we have on the front 7. The bottom line is I’m sick of it. I’m sick of this wasted opportunity to follow some “Flawed Vision” that was never gonna work. It’s a PIPE DREAM and always has been. To invest another “top pick” on some guy ISN’T GONNA FiX IT.

The two players I recommend in the 2-3 round give us a better shot then “Team Northwestern” . They both have “High Grades” as run defenders with room to grow aa pass rushers. The last thing we need to do is continue this “Fairy Tale Approach” of this ten year failed saga and waste another top pick. You have high dollar free agents and top draft picks all over that defense so make it Fucken Work!!!

It’s just Ridiculous.

GB-Brandon
04-22-2020, 03:36 PM
2011 Green Bay Packers Statistics & Players
Record: 15-1-0, 1st in NFC North Division (Schedule and Results)
Coach: Mike McCarthy (15-1-0)
Points For: 560 (35.0/g) 1st of 32.
Points Against: 359 (22.4/g) 19th of 32.
Expected W-L: 11.9-4.1.
Playoffs: Lost Divisional Round 20-37 vs.
Offensive Coordinator: Joe Philbin.
Defensive Coordinator: Dom Capers

Compare to

2019 Green Bay Packers Statistics & Players
Record: 13-3-0, 1st in NFC North Division (Schedule and Results)
Coach: Matt LaFleur (13-3-0)
Points For: 376 (23.5/g) 15th of 32.
Points Against: 313 (19.6/g) 9th of 32.
Expected W-L: 9.7-6.3.
Playoffs: Won Divisional Round 28-23 vs. ...
Offensive Coordinator: Nathaniel Hackett.
Defensive Coordinator: Mike Pettine.

Not just these stats, but overall your idea of offensive over defense is flawed. A good defense will keep you in games when your offense sputters. You simply can't have one without the other and the 2011 season demonstrated this. If the Packers are to make it back to the Super Bowl and win it they can't simply ignore the defensive issues. Gute is doing his best to remodel the defense, and at the same time add to the offense. I agree that the Packers need a to draft at least one receiver that can compete in 2019 and the Packers are lucky because this draft is loaded at receiver. It is why the round or exact pick doesn't matter. They could easily find a receiver in round three that could put up the same numbers as a receiver in round 1.

Lets remember the NFC Championship game fell on the shoulders of the defense, but the offense was absolutely terrible for the first 25 minutes of the game with lost yardage, turn overs, and consecutive 3 and outs. The defense took it on the chin, but the offense was dominated up front when they tried to pass. The offense didn't get going until adjustments were made in the running game.

I’ll take 15-1 and home field advantage every time. The odds are more in our favor.

As far as the defense I’m done. Every year it’s the same damn thing and the “defense, defense, defense”. It’s like the movie “Ground Hog Day”.

Go model what the Chiefs are doing with putting massive weapons around there Elite QB and have a defense that can compete.

That should be the formula and the vision.

GB-Brandon
04-22-2020, 03:55 PM
You can’t have it BOTH WAYS!!!

If all the our premium pick guys were “the best player available”, “High Character”, “Real Smart” etc etc and picked early in the draft along with millions spent on high priced FA’s then “Show Me The Baby”. I’m tired of
People telling me about the baby.

Talent or Coaching/Scheme?

Its gotta be one or another. So either the Packers are the worst team ever drafting defensive players or Mike Pettine is a Total Fraud.

I believe it’s both.

GB-Brandon
04-22-2020, 04:05 PM
To me Pettine is a guy that makes constant excuses for his failures saying he needs more talent or this or that. He is a “walking excuse” if you’ve followed him. He always seems to be bandstanding to get this guy or that guy for his “Smoke and Mirror Scheme” that doesn’t work unless you have close to elite talent at every position.

He should of been fired.

run pMc
04-22-2020, 04:13 PM
GB got them into passing situations, SF just ran the ball anyway.

That entire game can be summed up on SF's first scoring play. 3rd and 8 from GB's 36. The confidence and audacity to run a draw. Untouched for a TD.

SEA didn't have much of a running game if you ignore Russell Wilson. D was gassed from chasing him all over "like a chicken in a field".

They could certainly bring in a big 340 pounder to two-gap, but what do you do then -- play Clark at 3T? Your 340 pounder won't give you much pass rush or gap penetration, which is what Pettine likes. I 100% agree that Lancaster and Lowry (and the Smiths) got washed out of gaps, and Blake got caught on blocks trying to sift through the trash vs. SF.

I think they've spent a lot of high draft capital on defense, and I'd like to see some investment in the offense.
Suggesting that drafting any defensive players is a waste because the defense is terrible is kind of a contradiction. You draft to improve the talent and production.
And let's be real -- they wouldn't have been in the playoffs without the investments they have made on defense, whether FA (Smiths, Amos) and draft (Clark, Alexander, Savage).

pbmax
04-22-2020, 04:27 PM
First of all we played a Seahawks team that was devastated by injuries. There offensive line had 3 or 4 starters out. They brought Lynch out of retirement because there top 3 RB’s were hurt. With all of that our defense looked slow and gassed and almost gave the game away. If our offense doesn’t get that first down the Seahawks probably win with the way our defense played in the second half. I would not call that game a massive defensive victory. So basically OUR OFFENSE was our defense late in that game. Belichick squeezes the clock all the time with his offense and uses it as a form of defense.

Also. Somehow the Seahawks were able to somewhat contain the Niners run game. They even beat the niners and almost beat them a second time. Guess how they did it? Seahawks were working with “Less Talent” too.

4-3 Base and big bodied run pluggers. This isn’t rocket science.

The Niners threw the ball 8 times so I don’t know what your referring too as far as “not Having pass rush”. We couldn’t even get them into a passing situation. The running lanes were so huge that we could of probably made it through some of them. We couldn’t do anything. We couldn’t set the edge. Guys were getting pushed around an moved all over the field like rag dolls. DB’s were put into situations that weren’t good. It was TOTAL DOMiNATIOM in every sense. Some of this is on Pettine and some of it is on the guys we have on the front 7. The bottom line is I’m sick of it. I’m sick of this wasted opportunity to follow some “Flawed Vision” that was never gonna work. It’s a PIPE DREAM and always has been. To invest another “top pick” on some guy ISN’T GONNA FiX IT.

The two players I recommend in the 2-3 round give us a better shot then “Team Northwestern” . They both have “High Grades” as run defenders with room to grow aa pass rushers. The last thing we need to do is continue this “Fairy Tale Approach” of this ten year failed saga and waste another top pick. You have high dollar free agents and top draft picks all over that defense so make it Fucken Work!!!

It’s just Ridiculous.

Seahawks have two very good backers and good speed all along their defense. That's how they deal with the 49ers run/pass attack. Even so, the 49ers ran for 5 ypc (24-128) as well against the Seachickens at the end of the season. So much for 4-3 big bodied base being the answer as that was the same as the Packers yielded in the first 49er game.

3 TO really hampered the Packers in the playoff game so the offense was not available to help. As such there was even less pressure for the 49ers to throw.

I am not arguing about the need to invest significant resources to improve the D. Despite all the effort in drafting and mistakes, they still need help in the middle of that D. But I am agreeing with the earlier point that run-stoppers aren't the answer. Big bodies with speed and agility would be better.

If your LOS players on D can't get to the QB but can stop the run, the 49ers will just abuse you with Kittle or the backs on passes. You can't be one dimensional against that offense until you get the edge with a lead.

Nutz also brought up a good point about the Smith Bros. Preston was OK but noting special. He didn't even hold the edge well. But Zadarius had a terrible game and was frequently out of position. I expect teams to try to take advantage of him more this season after seeing that tape. He behaved as if all he wanted to do was rush the passer.

pbmax
04-22-2020, 04:34 PM
Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
#Packers have made 7 picks in the first or second round over the last three drafts.
Average RAS: 9.39.
They've preferred elite athletes throughout the draft recently, but they only like elite athletes early.

Zach Kruse@zachkruse2
For #Packers fans who want a defensive lineman early:
The only DL likely to go in the first two rounds with a RAS over 8.0 is Justin Madubuike.

GB-Brandon
04-22-2020, 05:03 PM
My point is being distorted. I was simply replying to being asked “If I know How Football Works”?

I think I have laid out clearly that “I DO”

This discussion has literally gone on for the better part of 10 years and the insanity of the discussion amazes me.

I never said to put a 340 pounder in there. I said a “run plugger”. A guy like Quinton Jefferson of the Seahawks would of been perfect. Both the players i like at DL in the draft are pretty good athletes and have potential as being able to pass rush. If you don’t think they wouldn’t be an improvement over “Team Northwestern then I can’t help ya. I don’t see the need to spend a 1st round pick on a DT. I’m not sure what you get in round 1 is much better then you get in round 3 considering are draft position.

I stand behind my main point that right now the most important thing is to re-load the offense: I believe it’s our best chance. I still believe Rodgers can sling it with the right guys around him and thrive. If people disagree then that is fine.

We’ve been throwing late round picks too the offense for years. I really don’t see the harm of doing it to the defense for a year. It feels like trying to take heroin away from a heroin addict. We need to do something different and I think Gute understand this. Pettine is supposed to be some 4-3/3-4 guru and has “all this talent”. Go figure it out.

GB-Brandon
04-22-2020, 05:07 PM
Seahawks have two very good backers and good speed all along their defense. That's how they deal with the 49ers run/pass attack. Even so, the 49ers ran for 5 ypc (24-128) as well against the Seachickens at the end of the season. So much for 4-3 big bodied base being the answer as that was the same as the Packers yielded in the first 49er game.

3 TO really hampered the Packers in the playoff game so the offense was not available to help. As such there was even less pressure for the 49ers to throw.

I am not arguing about the need to invest significant resources to improve the D. Despite all the effort in drafting and mistakes, they still need help in the middle of that D. But I am agreeing with the earlier point that run-stoppers aren't the answer. Big bodies with speed and agility would be better.

If your LOS players on D can't get to the QB but can stop the run, the 49ers will just abuse you with Kittle or the backs on passes. You can't be one dimensional against that offense until you get the edge with a lead.

Nutz also brought up a good point about the Smith Bros. Preston was OK but noting special. He didn't even hold the edge well. But Zadarius had a terrible game and was frequently out of position. I expect teams to try to take advantage of him more this season after seeing that tape. He behaved as if all he wanted to do was rush the passer.

Once again Pettine didn’t have his defense prepared on a huge stage and he was given a pass so basically we’re back to having very little accountability. Instead some people want to reward him with another premium pick. It’s laughable.

People talk about Lombardi all the time and none of this shit is run like Lombardi would run it. It’s a facade.

GB-Brandon
04-22-2020, 05:21 PM
The bottom line is “This Ship Has Sailed Off” with the passing on Jeffery Simmons due to a “Combine Infatuation” with Rashan Gary. The Corvette with no Engine.

“Don’t hate the Player. Hate the Game.”

pbmax
04-22-2020, 05:50 PM
Once again Pettine didn’t have his defense prepared on a huge stage and he was given a pass so basically we’re back to having very little accountability. Instead some people want to reward him with another premium pick. It’s laughable.

People talk about Lombardi all the time and none of this shit is run like Lombardi would run it. It’s a facade.

I have questions about Pettine too, but I think the current talent on the defense cannot be monsters versus the run and pass in the middle of the field. They have to choose. If it was a baseball platoon, it would work better.

As it is, with Goodson out there and a 3 man line they ar ultra vulnerable to the pass. Or some Nitro S/ILB (with possible exception for Raven Green) with Clark and Smith/Gary at the interior, they are vulnerable to the run. Even still they make it work out about average for most of the season by simply choosing their option by down and distance.

But when Petttine tried to guard against both early in the playoff game, he hedged with a Nitro safety and a 3 man DL. Lancaster and Lowry couldn't get it done and whoever the safety was at ILB just disappeared. Z Smith had a horrid game and P Smith was mostly invisible. Even with help, you can't win with performances like that. Especially when the offense is shooting itself in the foot.

GB-Brandon
04-22-2020, 06:28 PM
I have questions about Pettine too, but I think the current talent on the defense cannot be monsters versus the run and pass in the middle of the field. They have to choose. If it was a baseball platoon, it would work better.

As it is, with Goodson out there and a 3 man line they ar ultra vulnerable to the pass. Or some Nitro S/ILB (with possible exception for Raven Green) with Clark and Smith/Gary at the interior, they are vulnerable to the run. Even still they make it work out about average for most of the season by simply choosing their option by down and distance.

But when Petttine tried to guard against both early in the playoff game, he hedged with a Nitro safety and a 3 man DL. Lancaster and Lowry couldn't get it done and whoever the safety was at ILB just disappeared. Z Smith had a horrid game and P Smith was mostly invisible. Even with help, you can't win with performances like that. Especially when the offense is shooting itself in the foot.

So i guess my question is why not switch to a “4-3 nickel” for the Niner game? Pettine brags that he runs both 4-3 and 3-4 schemes and can flip them on the fly. This Pettine sure talks a good game.

You could of had the smiths on the edge. Lowry and Clark in the middle with Lancaster rotating. Clog up the run lanes. Could slide Gary/Smith around in there on passing downs trying to get Gary involved. You keep Goodson and Martinez on the field. Throw Burks out there some. In nickel you mix Campbell out there with T. Williams in the slot depending on Kittle.

We might of been a little more susceptible to there passing game but I think the Chiefs showed that you make Garapalo beat you. Garapalo will make mistakes. Make him throw!!! The outcome couldn’t of been any worse for us.

The game plan sucked and the preparation sucked and it was the second time we played them so zero excuses. Pettine should be gone: I don’t trust him as he has shown he is too stubborn. There are mumblings in his past that he picks favorites which is a bunch of Harry High School Bullshit.

I’m not impressed at all with Mike Pettine. My fear is we just keep giving him top tier talent and he won’t make it work.

GB-Brandon
04-22-2020, 06:34 PM
It’s pretty simple.

“More Bodies in the Box”

You have 3 first round picks and Big FA signing in the secondary so let them play

All this off the ball smoke and mirrors scheme isn’t the recipe against a power run team.

pbmax
04-22-2020, 08:21 PM
So i guess my question is why not switch to a “4-3 nickel” for the Niner game? Pettine brags that he runs both 4-3 and 3-4 schemes and can flip them on the fly. This Pettine sure talks a good game.

You could of had the smiths on the edge. Lowry and Clark in the middle with Lancaster rotating. Clog up the run lanes. Could slide Gary/Smith around in there on passing downs trying to get Gary involved. You keep Goodson and Martinez on the field. Throw Burks out there some. In nickel you mix Campbell out there with T. Williams in the slot depending on Kittle.
k.

You can't hide Goodson in the passing game. He's too slow. You are simply asking them to isolate him or Martinez on a TE or WR and pray for the best. I would want to call plays against it. This is how they lost the first game, concentrating on the run and being killed by Kittle.

Goodson only plays when its an obvious run down.

In the payoff game they went with a heavy nickel 3-4 if that makes sense. On the LOS was Clark-Lancaster-Lowry. Smiths were OLB. 5 on the line with Martinez and whoever replaced Raven Green in the middle. On one of their TD plays we broke down after the game, Clark was getting a blow and Adams was in there instead. He got moved a bit but fought back but not enough to make a play. At best you could say he defended his gap with one arm.

Which was better than anyone else on the play.

The safety got buried, Martinez was late and there was too much space. Lancaster fell down and Lowry was backside with no pursuit. The Smith's never smelled the ball.

You need a special kind of DB to make that work. Not even Woodson played like that.

They either need another 1-3 tech D tackle who will close that gap or interfere with the Guard or they need a monster hybrid Nitro backer. If you play that offense in that heavy nickel, you might need both. Run plays like that took the Smiths out of the game.

GB-Brandon
04-22-2020, 09:18 PM
You can't hide Goodson in the passing game. He's too slow. You are simply asking them to isolate him or Martinez on a TE or WR and pray for the best. I would want to call plays against it. This is how they lost the first game, concentrating on the run and being killed by Kittle.

Goodson only plays when its an obvious run down.

In the payoff game they went with a heavy nickel 3-4 if that makes sense. On the LOS was Clark-Lancaster-Lowry. Smiths were OLB. 5 on the line with Martinez and whoever replaced Raven Green in the middle. On one of their TD plays we broke down after the game, Clark was getting a blow and Adams was in there instead. He got moved a bit but fought back but not enough to make a play. At best you could say he defended his gap with one arm.

Which was better than anyone else on the play.

The safety got buried, Martinez was late and there was too much space. Lancaster fell down and Lowry was backside with no pursuit. The Smith's never smelled the ball.

You need a special kind of DB to make that work. Not even Woodson played like that.

They either need another 1-3 tech D tackle who will close that gap or interfere with the Guard or they need a monster hybrid Nitro backer. If you play that offense in that heavy nickel, you might need both. Run plays like that took the Smiths out of the game.

I completely understand the athletic limitations overall in the front seven last year. Its basically Kenny Clark and two edge rushers.

However; I would rather take my chances with Garapalo throwing the ball(even with some mismatches) then RB’s hitting there heads on the goal post with ease.

Kansas City was able to slow down there run game(packing in a 4-3 with bodies) and keeping it close. Then they got the game into the 4th quarter and guess what?

Garapalo Choked!!!

Mike Pettine is a JOKE!

RashanGary
04-22-2020, 09:24 PM
Brandon, football is fluid. Every year is different with rule changes and how teams adapt. Relax on the overreaction to last year's wholloping . That was a rare offense we ran into and didn't quite adjust to it in time. Doubt they'll be that good again. Next year's Goliath in the NFC might be more pass oriented with a legendary defense . Then you swing all the way one way only to get beat the other. Just relax, man. Get better across the board and hope for some breaks. 2020 isn't 2019.

Big, slow linebackers and useless slobs up front isn't the answer , bro. Football has too many asoects to sell out one way or the other. Had we sold out on the run and somehow got to KC, we woulda got beat by the pass.

Your one dimensional viewpoint isn't really fittog with the whole game of football.

GB-Brandon
04-22-2020, 09:26 PM
Somehow Garapalo is some HOF QB all the sudden. He is very average. Sooooooooo scared of Jimmie Garapalo. Eeeeeeewwwwww.

smuggler
04-23-2020, 12:10 AM
He's pretty average but his situation seems to get him some nice opportunities from time to time.

pbmax
04-23-2020, 07:58 AM
I completely understand the athletic limitations overall in the front seven last year. Its basically Kenny Clark and two edge rushers.

However; I would rather take my chances with Garapalo throwing the ball(even with some mismatches) then RB’s hitting there heads on the goal post with ease.

Kansas City was able to slow down there run game(packing in a 4-3 with bodies) and keeping it close. Then they got the game into the 4th quarter and guess what?

Garapalo Choked!!!

Mike Pettine is a JOKE!

I agree with you. Kittle or no, would prefer to put game into Jimmy's hands.

GB-Brandon
04-23-2020, 09:20 AM
Brandon, football is fluid. Every year is different with rule changes and how teams adapt. Relax on the overreaction to last year's wholloping . That was a rare offense we ran into and didn't quite adjust to it in time. Doubt they'll be that good again. Next year's Goliath in the NFC might be more pass oriented with a legendary defense . Then you swing all the way one way only to get beat the other. Just relax, man. Get better across the board and hope for some breaks. 2020 isn't 2019.

Big, slow linebackers and useless slobs up front isn't the answer , bro. Football has too many asoects to sell out one way or the other. Had we sold out on the run and somehow got to KC, we woulda got beat by the pass.

Your one dimensional viewpoint isn't really fittog with the whole game of football.

Where have I ever said to “Get Big Goliath Slow LB’s” or “Big slobs upfront”?????

My top prospects for the Packers for where we pick on the defense are as follows

Jordyn Brooks ILB. Think he ran 4.54 at combine and that was with a bad shoulder

DL- Raekwon Davis. - Both have athletic ability to play fast
Devon Hamilton

run pMc
04-23-2020, 09:22 AM
If you don’t think they wouldn’t be an improvement over “Team Northwestern then I can’t help ya. I don’t see the need to spend a 1st round pick on a DT. I’m not sure what you get in round 1 is much better then you get in round 3 considering are draft position.

I stand behind my main point that right now the most important thing is to re-load the offense: I believe it’s our best chance. I still believe Rodgers can sling it with the right guys around him and thrive. If people disagree then that is fine.

Generally agree with this sentiment. Lowry and Lancaster are good depth players, but they (and the Smiths) played poorly in the NFCCG. Their lack of playmakers on offense is also a problem. I think Gute will take steps to fix that. He made significant roster improvements last year, he can make more improvements.

As for Garopolo, he's relatively inexperienced (26 starts, 42 games) and overrated IMO. He is surrounded by some very good talent on defense and a running game which takes the pressure off him. Those things alone are good for a few wins, plus they had a 3rd place schedule (as did GB) IIRC. It would have been best to put the game in his hands, but Shanahan bet big on his running game and it paid off. Even when GB did get them in 3rd and 5+ they were able to convert by running the ball. SF's passing game is predicated on RAC so while packing the box might have forced some 4th downs, but I wonder if it wouldn't also leave them open to Deebo or Kittle running wild like in the regular season game.
GB's turnovers and sloppy offense didn't help -- if they were able to apply more pressure to turn it into a shootout that might have evened the odds.
Don't forget - SF was easily the favorite in the NFCCG.

As it is, they should focus on talent, scheme, and performance to win their division first and worry about other teams second.

GB-Brandon
04-23-2020, 09:23 AM
I agree with you. Kittle or no, would prefer to put game into Jimmy's hands.

Exactly, because more things could go wrong for them. The receiver slips or runs the wrong route. QB doesn’t get adequate protection. QB makes a bad throw. Ball gets tipped. Etc etc etc

Pettine gave us zero chance and showed he has zero ability to adjust. NOT GOOD.