PDA

View Full Version : Packerrats and COVID-19

Radagast
04-08-2020, 10:37 PM
I've taken notice of the large percentage of this forum that are minorities. Studies show that in America, Blacks in particular have been falling victim more than any other group to this virus. All of us need to heed what the medical experts that say,:

Stay Home (unless you provide a critical service need)
Make those trips to the grocery store count and try to avoid unnecessary repeat trips.
Wear a mask and gloves when you must visit your Pharmacy/Grocery Store.Be sure to maintain a 6ft space between you and others.
Wash your hands with soap and warm water.

We have all heard these things before, but repeating them just serves to reinforce their importance.

I wish everyone well, even those that have been less than civil in the past. Perhaps now is a good time to begin behaving with more tolerance.

mraynrand
04-08-2020, 11:37 PM
There are two other threads on this:

One more about sports and less political:
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?31393-More-Banjo-Coronavirus-And-Sports

One more political and nasty:
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?31399-What-exactly-did-COVID-19-do

Bretsky
04-08-2020, 11:38 PM
Thank you for the well wishes Rad

I agree we should all co exist in peace and follow the rules tightly and enhance everybody's chances

I may be ignorant, but I really haven't noticed that a large percent is minorities but I tend to be blind to that stuff anyways.

Anyways, I hope you are your family are well and safe,
Bretsky

texaspackerbacker
04-09-2020, 11:17 AM
Wha-a-a-a-t? The large percentage in here are minorities? Who? I'd say more like few if any. I used to think APB was black, but he corrected me on that.

It is a valid point that a large percentage of corona cases seem to be black, though. However, I think that is more a question of geography than anything else living in urban areas where the virus has showed up. I don't think there's any studies showing that blacks or other minorities are more susceptible to it.

Good point about the two other threads, Rand.

Deputy Nutz
04-09-2020, 11:49 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/11/06/af/1106af169c29aeabdd312813b31ef8ee.jpg

Joemailman
04-09-2020, 05:42 PM
nm

texaspackerbacker
04-09-2020, 05:50 PM
I'm still waiting to hear who comprises that "large percentage of this forum that are minorities". Anybody want to step forward? Radagast, what is your basis for saying something like that?

HowardRoark
04-09-2020, 06:02 PM
I’m black.

Joemailman
04-09-2020, 07:34 PM
In some way, aren't each of us a minority?

Joemailman
04-09-2020, 07:35 PM
Stay safe out there.

https://starecat.com/content/wp-content/uploads/norton-antivirus-cd-compact-disc-face-mask-corona-virus-protection.jpg

Radagast
04-09-2020, 07:39 PM
I'm still waiting to hear who comprises that "large percentage of this forum that are minorities". Anybody want to step forward? Radagast, what is your basis for saying something like that?

Place a white man in Harlem, NYC and he would stand out. The same metaphor applies here in this web site. Bias, statements concerning stories/situations, as well as other factors identify many as white or black or hispanic, etc. No negative criticisms or innuendo, just an observation.

"Experts" have been saying that minority groups are more susceptible to COVD-19 due to the socio/economic makeup of their communities. The truth of such theories is supported by the larger % of affected blacks (for instance) in relation to their actual % in the areas of many of the hardest hit places in the USA. In my opinion minorities may be more at risk due to so many with service jobs that place them in more direct contact with the public.

All of us need to be very careful as this dreadful virus, invisible and highly contagious, has no respect for race, economic status, sex, or ethnic origin. COVID-19 is blind to such things and requires our vigilance and adherence to the current rules set down in our various states. Personally I don't live that far from an elderly care facility that has tallied 39 deaths so far with more still fighting the virus. My intention was not to point any fingers at any groups, but to serve as a report of the facts currently being discussed in the public media.

Now is not the time for political stances or racial bigotry, but a time for all pull in the same direction for a while. There will be time many months down the road from now to revert back to uncivil and belligerent behavior, however now is not the time for such childish behavior/s.

My best to all, stay safe, stay strong !

hoosier
04-09-2020, 09:03 PM
I've taken notice of the large percentage of this forum that are minorities. Studies show that in America, Blacks in particular have been falling victim more than any other group to this virus. All of us need to heed what the medical experts that say,:

Stay Home (unless you provide a critical service need)
Make those trips to the grocery store count and try to avoid unnecessary repeat trips.
Wear a mask and gloves when you must visit your Pharmacy/Grocery Store.Be sure to maintain a 6ft space between you and others.
Wash your hands with soap and warm water.

We have all heard these things before, but repeating them just serves to reinforce their importance.

I wish everyone well, even those that have been less than civil in the past. Perhaps now is a good time to begin behaving with more tolerance.

Well that's mighty white of you.

texaspackerbacker
04-09-2020, 09:38 PM
Place a white man in Harlem, NYC and he would stand out. The same metaphor applies here in this web site. Bias, statements concerning stories/situations, as well as other factors identify many as white or black or hispanic, etc. No negative criticisms or innuendo, just an observation.

"Experts" have been saying that minority groups are more susceptible to COVD-19 due to the socio/economic makeup of their communities. The truth of such theories is supported by the larger % of affected blacks (for instance) in relation to their actual % in the areas of many of the hardest hit places in the USA. In my opinion minorities may be more at risk due to so many with service jobs that place them in more direct contact with the public.

All of us need to be very careful as this dreadful virus, invisible and highly contagious, has no respect for race, economic status, sex, or ethnic origin. COVID-19 is blind to such things and requires our vigilance and adherence to the current rules set down in our various states. Personally I don't live that far from an elderly care facility that has tallied 39 deaths so far with more still fighting the virus. My intention was not to point any fingers at any groups, but to serve as a report of the facts currently being discussed in the public media.

Now is not the time for political stances or racial bigotry, but a time for all pull in the same direction for a while. There will be time many months down the road from now to revert back to uncivil and belligerent behavior, however now is not the time for such childish behavior/s.

You coulda just said oops, and admitted you were wrong about "I've taken notice of the large percentage of this forum that are minorities".

I do tend to agree to you, "now is not the time for political stances or racial bigotry", but clearly one side is grasping at that lame straw a helluva lot more than the other.

mraynrand
04-10-2020, 12:14 AM
I’m black.

I’m a transexual pangolin.

mraynrand
04-10-2020, 12:18 AM
Now is not the time for political stances or racial bigotry

And yet, strangely enough, that’s exactly what you did.

To thine own self be true!

LEWCWA
04-10-2020, 11:11 AM

One thing I noticed as they started down this minority path, is they would say for instance 30% of the population in LA was black and 70% of the deaths were black....It would be much more telling if they stated the % of population in NO is black and what percentage of NO deaths are black....I'm sure it just didn't look as good! See Tex, I can call out spin on the evil lefts side! That like I said is the difference between you and I!

Radagast
04-10-2020, 11:19 AM
You can communicate with some all of the time, and all some of the time, but there will always be those that can't help but remain village idiots. No matter how serious the subject they believe they can be clever, post their twisted thoughts and call it humor. Even those that are ignored still insist that they have something to say and like the circus clown they look to draw attention to themselves.

COVID-19 is a terrible thing that is killing people. Blacks are making up a disportionant % of the affected. We all need to protect ourselves and our families/friends during these challenging times. Picking my or anothers post apart to spin something into a way to divert attention from this most serious subject speaks loudly about those that feel the need to be third grade class clowns.

Stay Home
Wash your hands
Wear a mask/gloves if you must go shop for food or to get prescriptions filled.
Look out for your neighbors and those that may need assistance.

mraynrand
04-10-2020, 11:54 AM
What an asshole.

hoosier
04-10-2020, 01:33 PM
Pedant

Radagast
04-11-2020, 02:37 AM
Pedant

So you learned a new word. Bettering ourselves in life should be noble goal. Setting rules and adhering to details separate mankind from tribes that live in the dirt and piss in their neighbors water supply. Being proud of your vulgarity, or poverty, or ugliness toward others only degrades the person further. Groaning over their station in life labels a person lazy and unwilling to put forth the effort to upgrade their lives.

As I've posted before, those I choose to ignore, I don't read. There are those on that list for various reasons, but still I'd can't wish them any harm.Be safe, self isolate, and let's all fight this Pandemic until it is eradicated.

texaspackerbacker
04-11-2020, 07:58 AM
"breakin' the rules, breakin' the rules" - Beavis and Butthead

mraynrand
04-11-2020, 10:33 AM
Bettering ourselves in life should be noble goal.

Physician, heal thyself!

MadtownPacker
04-13-2020, 02:39 PM
All this time I thought I was the problem in my relationship with Radagast. I really did. Now I realize it is all of you mfers that don’t show him the respect he commands. If you don’t wash your hands and stop being a dirty bitch Rad is gonna block you. Then your life won’t be worth shit and you should consider yourself weakest among the PackerRats brotherhood.

mraynrand
04-13-2020, 02:49 PM
All this time I thought I was the problem in my relationship with Radagast. I really did. Now I realize it is all of you mfers that don’t show him the respect he commands. If you don’t wash your hands and stop being a dirty bitch Rad is gonna block you. Then your life won’t be worth shit and you should consider yourself weakest among the PackerRats brotherhood.

I consider myself unworthy of Radsghast's sublime purity. At this point in my fallen existence, I know I can't live up to his elevated standards, but I am not sure I can even withstand his radiating nobility.

George Cumby
04-13-2020, 03:09 PM
This is a weird thread.

mraynrand
04-13-2020, 03:25 PM
This is a weird thread.

Welcome to Packerrats, stranger.

:)

Radagast
04-13-2020, 07:52 PM
At a recent family (internet) internet gathering, without any suggestions/promotions from me of any kind, the subject turned to Americas current social makeup. Both political points of view were solidly represented. To my amazement there was a conscientious agreement about the decades long decline in social standards. How what now would not raise an eyebrow today in years past would find the offender fined or in some places locked up in a jail. I made no comment, but thought to myself how true and that I see it all the time on the internet.

IMO, too few families are instilling any basic child religious training, moral social organizations (Girl Scouts/Boy Scouts/ religious organizations) that promote self reliance,morality, courtesy, and good manners. Sadely, instead of raising our nation through "Affirmative Action" and equal rights legislation, America has slid down instead of up with it's "society's norms".

I used to take pride in America, but as I read post here in this forum, it is clear that many have no self pride. Expand this behavior to America and it becomes understandable how hate for America grows each day across the world. Post like mine encouraging members to clean up their act, just throws gasoline on the fire. People don't like to change, but history shows case after case where the deterioration of societies have lead to social/economic disasters and even in some cases wars.

For those that don't believe in God, or that God has no place in their lives, I say this. The Bible is not just a collection of stories designed to scare people. It is also a verified written history and the same God that flooded the earth, destroyed cities, sent famine/plagues is still on the job today. The way we behave during our lives is being logged and we each will have to answer for our good/bad behavior. Yes , Jesus did give his life to shield us from gods wrath, but even he will not shield many from their unforgivable behavior/s. Go ahead and laugh, poke fun, behave as you please, but remember they laughed at Noah and Lot and even at Jesus himself when they went about their good works.

hoosier
04-13-2020, 08:57 PM
At a recent family (internet) internet gathering, without any suggestions/promotions from me of any kind, the subject turned to Americas current social makeup. Both political points of view were solidly represented. To my amazement there was a conscientious agreement about the decades long decline in social standards. How what now would not raise an eyebrow today in years past would find the offender fined or in some places locked up in a jail. I made no comment, but thought to myself how true and that I see it all the time on the internet.

IMO, too few families are instilling any basic child religious training, moral social organizations (Girl Scouts/Boy Scouts/ religious organizations) that promote self reliance,morality, courtesy, and good manners. Sadely, instead of raising our nation through "Affirmative Action" and equal rights legislation, America has slid down instead of up with it's "society's norms".

I used to take pride in America, but as I read post here in this forum, it is clear that many have no self pride. Expand this behavior to America and it becomes understandable how hate for America grows each day across the world. Post like mine encouraging members to clean up their act, just throws gasoline on the fire. People don't like to change, but history shows case after case where the deterioration of societies have lead to social/economic disasters and even in some cases wars.

For those that don't believe in God, or that God has no place in their lives, I say this. The Bible is not just a collection of stories designed to scare people. It is also a verified written history and the same God that flooded the earth, destroyed cities, sent famine/plagues is still on the job today. The way we behave during our lives is being logged and we each will have to answer for our good/bad behavior. Yes , Jesus did give his life to shield us from gods wrath, but even he will not shield many from their unforgivable behavior/s. Go ahead and laugh, poke fun, behave as you please, but remember they laughed at Noah and Lot and even at Jesus himself when they went about their good works.

"Sadely"--or was it sagely?--the figure that you invoke here also said something about not judging lest you too be judged by the very standard to which you hold others. It will not go well.

hoosier
04-13-2020, 09:00 PM

Our job is just to rile him up so he can go charging after you like an enraged toddler.

texaspackerbacker
04-13-2020, 09:26 PM
Radagast, I'm seeing a new side to you in this most recent post of yours, mainly in the area of religion. Hoosier has a point about judging. It seems like you do a lot of that, and usually over questionable behaviors and attitudes that don't have much Biblical basis.

This sentence you wrote is particularly puzzling: "Sadely, instead of raising our nation through "Affirmative Action" and equal rights legislation, America has slid down instead of up with it's "society's norms". I'm not just talking about misspelling "sadly". What exactly did you mean by this? It seems like it could be taken two diametrically opposite views on affirmative action and equal rights legislation. Which of those is what you meant to say?

mraynrand
04-13-2020, 09:43 PM

The first thing Noah did after landing the ark was to go get hammered. But Jesus loves him anyway.

George Cumby
04-13-2020, 09:44 PM

https://yarn.co/yarn-clip/0af54806-e2a5-4fb9-b2f7-f06504303e52

George Cumby
04-13-2020, 09:47 PM
It's my experience that nothing gets people to behave better than to wag your finger in their face and tell them how they aren't behaving the way you want them to.

I find this technique to be particularly effective when I wrap it in a metric ton of supercilious, condescending judgement.

HowardRoark
04-13-2020, 10:40 PM
I think they behave much better in Canada.

MadtownPacker
04-13-2020, 10:44 PM
It's my experience that nothing gets people to behave better than to wag your finger in their face and tell them how they aren't behaving the way you want them to.

I find this technique to be particularly effective when I wrap it in a metric ton of supercilious, condescending judgement.Is this sarcasm? Asking for Tex.

MadtownPacker
04-13-2020, 10:48 PM
Our job is just to rile him up so he can go charging after you like an enraged toddler.How dare you!! This is how we need to strive to be:

https://youtu.be/9p2BjhSEnNI

texaspackerbacker
04-14-2020, 12:28 AM
Is this sarcasm? Asking for Tex.

No, I knew he was being sarcastic. If he really meant it, he would have spelled judgment right.

George Cumby
04-14-2020, 02:25 PM
Welcome to Packerrats, stranger.

Hi! Long time Lurker, First-time Poster!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

By Golly you sure are a lovable group of goofy, fun-luvin' fellas, by jehosophat!

3irty1
04-14-2020, 04:14 PM
How dare you!! This is how we need to strive to be:

https://youtu.be/9p2BjhSEnNI

Finally a man of taste in this thread.

hoosier
04-17-2020, 10:52 PM

I find this technique to be particularly effective when I wrap it in a metric ton of supercilious, condescending judgement.

I know it works wonders with my kids. :-|

texaspackerbacker
04-19-2020, 01:29 AM
]

oldbutnotdeadyet
04-19-2020, 05:37 AM
Wha-a-a-a-t? The large percentage in here are minorities? Who? I'd say more like few if any. I used to think APB was black, but he corrected me on that.

It is a valid point that a large percentage of corona cases seem to be black, though. However, I think that is more a question of geography than anything else living in urban areas where the virus has showed up. I don't think there's any studies showing that blacks or other minorities are more susceptible to it.

Good point about the two other threads, Rand.

well, I am an old black jew atheist nonpolitical guy in northern wisconsin, but wtf does that have to do with anything? We are all facing a medical issue that requires us to come together and try to meander thru this. Instead, things are devolving along political lines, and reinforcing my belief that we are fucked...

sharpe1027
04-19-2020, 07:49 AM
well, I am an old black jew atheist nonpolitical guy in northern wisconsin, but wtf does that have to do with anything? We are all facing a medical issue that requires us to come together and try to meander thru this. Instead, things are devolving along political lines, and reinforcing my belief that we are fucked...

It's amazing how you can tell with near certainty someone's political views based in their views of this crisis. Sad. The two should only have loose correlation.

LEWCWA
04-19-2020, 10:34 AM
It's amazing how you can tell with near certainty someone's political views based in their views of this crisis. Sad. The two should only have loose correlation.

Much of that is due to the msg's coming out of the white house....fed. gov't actions at least starting mid march say one thing, but the words and tweets coming from the president say something different.

bobblehead
04-19-2020, 11:12 AM

Yea. I agree. It seems like the ones screaming "You need to be on lockdown" but then going about their own business are almost always.....well, I don't want to get political here.

bobblehead
04-19-2020, 11:13 AM
Much of that is due to the msg's coming out of the white house....fed. gov't actions at least starting mid march say one thing, but the words and tweets coming from the president say something different.

You are mistaken. It was the message coming from the WHO, the CDC and the entire fucking world. Its tools like you that want to pretend...muh orange man bad!!

mraynrand
04-19-2020, 11:15 AM

Many people enjoy watching the same movie over and over again, but it’s interesting that some people are still surprised when the ending is the same.

sharpe1027
04-19-2020, 11:26 AM
Yea. I agree. It seems like the ones screaming "You need to be on lockdown" but then going about their own business are almost always.....well, I don't want to get political here.

Impressive how you were able to underscore the point of a thread so completely by using yourself as an example.

sharpe1027
04-19-2020, 11:28 AM

You identified part of the picture, but you're underscoring my point with what you chose to focus on.

falco
04-19-2020, 01:46 PM
Impressive how you were able to underscore the point of a thread so completely by using yourself as an example.

it's about par for the course now

texaspackerbacker
04-19-2020, 02:41 PM

And who do you see as to blame for that? The people just trying to help and mitigate this situation? Or the desperate assholes trying to overrule the electoral process and harm America and Americans in their efforts? You're probably correct that there should not be much correlation with political views, but the losers in the political process have made that impossible. Believe me, most Americans are acutely aware of what each side is doing.

oldbutnotdeadyet, if somebody says they are whatever in terms of ethnicity, I ain't gonna argue with them. I will say, though, I find what you say a bit hard to believe. Maybe you've been taking sarcasm lessons from Rand hahahahaha.

ThunderDan
04-19-2020, 04:06 PM
And who do you see as to blame for that? The people just trying to help and mitigate this situation? Or the desperate assholes trying to overrule the electoral process and harm America and Americans in their efforts? You're probably correct that there should not be much correlation with political views, but the losers in the political process have made that impossible.

I don’t come in here and post but just one question. How did All of these Democratic Governors become governor except through the electoral process?

How did the Senate and Congress and the President all get elected if not by the electoral process?

How do Democrats, Republicans, Tea Party, Libertians, Independents some how get elected to run our government if not through the electoral process?

Just because your party doesn’t win every election doesn’t mean it’s “desperate assholes trying to overrule the electoral process and harm America".

sharpe1027
04-19-2020, 04:24 PM
And who do you see as to blame for that? The people just trying to help and mitigate this situation? Or the desperate assholes trying to overrule the electoral process and harm America and Americans in their efforts? You're probably correct that there should not be much correlation with political views, but the losers in the political process have made that impossible. Believe me, most Americans are acutely aware of what each side is doing.

oldbutnotdeadyet, if somebody says they are whatever in terms of ethnicity, I ain't gonna argue with them. I will say, though, I find what you say a bit hard to believe. Maybe you've been taking sarcasm lessons from Rand hahahahaha.

Human nature, motivated reasoning. You present the exact same facts and propose two different solutions, if you also indicate (random) party affiliations with these solutions the party is more important than facts to which is preferred.

Second part is people confronted with this freely see the bias in others, but are blind to their own.

Cheesehead Craig
04-19-2020, 04:42 PM
I think they behave much better in Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOR38552MJA

mraynrand
04-19-2020, 05:16 PM
I don’t come in here and post but just one question. How did All of these Democratic Governors become governor except through the electoral process?

How did the Senate and Congress and the President all get elected if not by the electoral process?

How do Democrats, Republicans, Tea Party, Libertians, Independents some how get elected to run our government if not through the electoral process?

Just because your party doesn’t win every election doesn’t mean it’s “desperate assholes trying to overrule the electoral process and harm America".

The people get the government they deserve. Sometimes they get it real hard.

sharpe1027
04-19-2020, 05:39 PM
The people get the government they deserve. Sometimes they get it real hard.

Which sentiment was echoed by the other side of the debate with equal conviction. Each having built up their house of cards from selective logical underpinnings and carefully honed arguments and justifications.

LEWCWA
04-19-2020, 05:45 PM
You are mistaken. It was the message coming from the WHO, the CDC and the entire fucking world. Its tools like you that want to pretend...muh orange man bad!!

Your full of shit....I was referring to his statements throughout....even up to yesterday.....look at the phases of reopening, then look at his statements and tweets...they don't jive with each other. You want to lay it all on China, fine. Doesn't really matter to me, If you ask me they both have plenty of blame. I know Trump did everything right....lol....most of the country doesn't see it that way.

texaspackerbacker
04-19-2020, 05:46 PM

No quarrel with any of that. I suppose even the desperate leftist assholes of the media are merely acting within the electoral process, albeit trying to subvert things with their fake news and distortions. Of course, you didn't say anything about the inane and insane efforts at impeachment. Arguably, though, the electoral losers failed at that just before this overblown corona mess came up - no coincidence there, I'm sure hahahaha.

People in general, and I would assume even you know the score here - which side is doing their best to help America and improve the situation, and which side is doing their damnedest to desperately scramble to mess with Us the American People and harm the country in general.

LEWCWA
04-19-2020, 05:47 PM
You identified part of the picture, but you're underscoring my point with what you chose to focus on.

Maybe, but I did say much of it! lol-

texaspackerbacker
04-19-2020, 05:53 PM
Human nature, motivated reasoning. You present the exact same facts and propose two different solutions, if you also indicate (random) party affiliations with these solutions the party is more important than facts to which is preferred.

Second part is people confronted with this freely see the bias in others, but are blind to their own.

Your post is a little bit hard to comprehend, but it seems like you're pushing the idea of moral equivalence here. Hell no! There is no moral equivalence here. One side is slogging along doing what it takes to fix the mess; The other side is dragging its feet, obstructing, whining, and yes, trying to harm America. The electoral population of America knows this, and if you aren't convinced, maybe the November election will make it clearer.

texaspackerbacker
04-19-2020, 05:57 PM
I see those lame-assed attempts at moral equivalence by several in here - that's always been a favorite tactic of the party and people who don't have the interests of America and Americans at heart. It's bogus here, as it almost always is. And We the People know it.

mraynrand
04-19-2020, 06:07 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EV_4rdeWAAUtvQc?format=jpg&name=small

sharpe1027
04-19-2020, 06:33 PM
Your post is a little bit hard to comprehend, but it seems like you're pushing the idea of moral equivalence here. Hell no! There is no moral equivalence here. One side is slogging along doing what it takes to fix the mess; The other side is dragging its feet, obstructing, whining, and yes, trying to harm America. The electoral population of America knows this, and if you aren't convinced, maybe the November election will make it clearer.

Not at all. You missed the point entirely. There was zero reference to morality. It's physchology. It's how we are wired.

texaspackerbacker
04-19-2020, 06:56 PM
This is what you said "Human nature, motivated reasoning. You present the exact same facts and propose two different solutions, if you also indicate (random) party affiliations with these solutions the party is more important than facts to which is preferred.

Second part is people confronted with this freely see the bias in others, but are blind to their own."

I don't think there is a word "physchology" hahahaha, but regardless, what you said absolutely is the definition of moral equivalence. "how we're wired"? No, it's how one side - the anti-American side - is wired, grasping at straws as they see the American People not buying the crap they are selling.

mraynrand
04-19-2020, 09:55 PM
]

I agree

sharpe1027
04-19-2020, 11:09 PM
Tex, I'm referring to studies showing just what I said. It's not a statement about one party or the other.

You asked me who I blamed for political leaning seemingly dominating logic and facts. I blamed human nature because the evidence points that way.

A president does something and someone labeling themselves as the other party criticizes. Nine times out of ten (I made up the percentage, but you get the point) whether we agree with the critcism will line up with "our" party. The validity of the criticism matter so much less than the you vs them.

There's also evidence that when presented the evidence of this bias, we'll more readily admit that others have the bias, but we know deep down that we are different. We are right and the true exception to the rest of humanity!

Was that too over the top? Probably, but what the hell.

texaspackerbacker
04-19-2020, 11:45 PM
And I'm saying that implying any validity to the agenda-driven criticism is wrongheaded, possibly innocently by you, but wrongheaded just the same.

Do you or do you not give any credence to the bullshit criticism you talk about?

Do you seriously not acknowledge that the travel bans saved tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of lives, and the various mitigation procedures, many of which even I don't like, are pretty much the best middle course of action that could have been taken?

Do you seriously claim that the words and actions of the two sides here are equally good or bad to each other?

These are not rhetorical questions, but tests of whether or not you're afflicted with the disease of corona moral equivalence - and I assume you're in favor of testing.

sharpe1027
04-20-2020, 06:34 AM
It's a complex set of questions. The fact that you think it can be answered without any more detail than generic statements relying entirely on some notion of what the "other" side is to you is proving my point. There aren't two sides, there are millions of people with all sorts of different views.

Let's start with what criticism am I supposed to be considering? Be specific in terms of who (name a person) and the words and context.

texaspackerbacker
04-20-2020, 08:23 AM
Actually, they're all just yes or no questions ....... but by all means, go into detail.

Those millions of views can generally be grouped as for or against - easily. I hope you take a stand rather than use whatever as an excuse to wimp out - I'm still trying to form an overall opinion of you.

What criticism? Pick pretty much anything negative said about Trump or the sum total of it regarding handling of this corona mess - I ask you again, do you or do you not give any credence to the bullshit?

sharpe1027
04-20-2020, 09:09 AM
Actually, they're all just yes or no questions ....... but by all means, go into detail.

Those millions of views can generally be grouped as for or against - easily. I hope you take a stand rather than use whatever as an excuse to wimp out - I'm still trying to form an overall opinion of you.

What criticism? Pick pretty much anything negative said about Trump or the sum total of it regarding handling of this corona mess - I ask you again, do you or do you not give any credence to the bullshit?

Some is valid and some is bullshit. Nobody is perfect. I don't know which criticism you have in your head since you won't tell me.

texaspackerbacker
04-20-2020, 11:39 AM
I said pick any. ok, I'll pick one for you.

Trump's travel bans - I would say far and away by a large margin the most significant factor in greatly reducing corona deaths, and something most leftists hated and would not have done just because of their damned anti-American bias - and that conclusion about leftists is based mostly on their own words, Biden, for example, against it before saying he was for it months after the fact.

I ask you again, can you cite ANY of Trump's actions that have not either been very successful and popular or unpopular but grudgingly accepted as lessening deaths? And can you cite ANY example of leftist suggestions that would have better served the American People. And do you seriously see the bulk of the criticism of Trump as anything other desperate politicizing by the side he beat in the election and presumably will beat again?

Please try to stop the ducking and dodging you have been doing and take a stand.

sharpe1027
04-20-2020, 02:09 PM
Travel ban was helpful, but it's a fair criticism to ask how effective it was with a loophole that allowed 40k individuals from China into the US. Don't go halfway and get downside without the upside.

No matter what Trump did, it was open for criticism, and speculation that there was a better option. I don't think it's really open for debate on that point, he couldn't win with certain people regardless. On the other hand certain people will never admit he could have done better. Neither is right.

If I had to pick one critcism, it's this. Understanding you can never get everything perfect, the thing he was in control of was clarity of his message. There are many benefits to being clear and consistent, but the messaging was kinda all over the map, both with just his statements over time and between different individuals in the administration. Case in point is saying the cases could go to zero while his own team was saying it was inevitable that it would spread here. There's other examples.

texaspackerbacker
04-20-2020, 02:23 PM
You didn't address the point of blatantly politicized criticism by media and other leftists. You also didn't cite any ideas or suggestions from the other side that would have been more effective than the actions Trump has taken.

40,000 came from China? after the travel ban? I don't know how they managed that unless they were American citizens, but if it's true, it shouldn't have happened. I assume they were suitably quarantined.

sharpe1027
04-20-2020, 03:22 PM
You didn't address the point of blatantly politicized criticism by media and other leftists. You also didn't cite any ideas or suggestions from the other side that would have been more effective than the actions Trump has taken.

40,000 came from China? after the travel ban? I don't know how they managed that unless they were American citizens, but if it's true, it shouldn't have happened. I assume they were suitably quarantined.

Yes, 40,000. Mostly citizens, over a thousand directly from Wuhan. It appears they were not quarantined in a consistent ror robust fashion.

George Cumby
04-20-2020, 03:32 PM
I agree

His all time most insightful post.

sharpe1027
04-20-2020, 03:37 PM

Who said I had all the answers?

MadtownPacker
04-20-2020, 04:01 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EV_4rdeWAAUtvQc?format=jpg&name=small
Noble attempt to keep the thread interesting while staying on topic. Though I was disappointed it had no raptor reference.

Special shout out to the homie Radagast. As shitty as he can be I don’t think he has ever had a thread moved due to posting about politics.

mraynrand
04-20-2020, 04:21 PM
Noble attempt to keep the thread interesting while staying on topic. Though I was disappointed it had no raptor reference.

Special shout out to the homie Radagast. As shitty as he can be I don’t think he has ever had a thread moved due to posting about politics.

I don't deserve any credit. There are 38 threads about Covid on this site. I have no idea what thread I'm in. I will probably draft Covid in the third round.

sharpe1027
04-20-2020, 04:38 PM

I'll take my medicine, but I don't think I said anything about politics before this thread was moved.

texaspackerbacker
04-20-2020, 05:34 PM
Yeah, me too. I'll confine any further remarks on this topic to FYI.

MadtownPacker
04-20-2020, 06:16 PM
I'll take my medicine, but I don't think I said anything about politics before this thread was moved.In fairness to you an explanation is due. Typically this would get the boot from the Packers area straight to FYI. But it is a legit topic that folks want to discuss so gave it a chance to stay in the Romper room. Was doing fine until the last page. Guessing you thought politics was ok after it was moved. If so I understand the confusion.

sharpe1027
04-20-2020, 06:18 PM
In fairness to you an explanation is due. Typically this would get the boot from the Packers area straight to FYI. But it is a legit topic that folks want to discuss so gave it a chance to stay in the Romper room. Was doing fine until the last page. Guessing you thought politics was ok after it was moved. If so I understand the confusion.
That's on me for not understanding the distinction on the nonfootball rooms. First time posting outside of the Packers area.

MadtownPacker
04-20-2020, 06:29 PM
Oh and don’t sweat the infraction much. I was just trying it out. Fitting for all the doom and gloom. Though I might implement it in the future.

LEWCWA
04-20-2020, 06:54 PM

Seriously--this is news to you....why do you even opine on things you know absolutely nothing about?

George Cumby
04-20-2020, 08:18 PM
Seriously--this is news to you....why do you even opine on things you know absolutely nothing about?

ROFLMAO.

Dunning-Krueger, anyone?

Deputy Nutz
04-20-2020, 08:23 PM
So apparently this Covid-19 thing killed off a bunch of you fucks. This forum is fucking dead, ON DRAFT WEEK!!!.

mraynrand
04-21-2020, 12:05 AM
So apparently this Covid-19 thing killed off a bunch of you fucks. This forum is fucking dead, ON DRAFT WEEK!!!.

Go to FYI for discussion if you like. But the reaction to this virus, not the virus itself, has me so concerned I honestly don’t even care about football anymore.

texaspackerbacker
04-21-2020, 12:19 AM
Aw c'mon Rand. This really ought to be another example of your sarcasm, but somehow, I suspect you really mean it. The whole disgusting mess just ain't that big a deal.

mraynrand
04-21-2020, 08:34 AM
Aw c'mon Rand. This really ought to be another example of your sarcasm, but somehow, I suspect you really mean it. The whole disgusting mess just ain't that big a deal.

Sure, we shut down the economy, oil futures ‘sell’ at negative values, people cower in their homes over a weak virus and the ‘press’ routinely spouts Chinese propaganda. Some people think that’s extraordinary. You think it’s ‘Tuesday.’

texaspackerbacker
04-21-2020, 12:21 PM
Which is affecting you more, that shit or the upcoming draft?

Low oil prices are a good thing for most people, and I'm confident the oil companies can afford it. Very very few people are "cowering in their homes" - literally nobody I know or know of. And virtually no regular American People believes the God damned news media about much of anything, much less Chicom propaganda.

Yes, it's Tuesday - two days before something that is gonna affect our lives for many years to come.

mraynrand
04-21-2020, 12:35 PM
Which is affecting you more, that shit or the upcoming draft?

Low oil prices are a good thing for most people, and I'm confident the oil companies can afford it. Very very few people are "cowering in their homes" - literally nobody I know or know of. And virtually no regular American People believes the God damned news media about much of anything, much less Chicom propaganda.

Yes, it's Tuesday - two days before something that is gonna affect our lives for many years to come.

I suspect you have no clue how solipsistic and callous you are.

George Cumby
04-21-2020, 02:21 PM
"Suspect"?

texaspackerbacker
04-21-2020, 02:46 PM
Solipsism: the view or theory that the self is all that can be known to exist; egocentric

Yup, I'll plead guilty to that, and I'll take the huge majority of Americans and people in general along with me.

Democracy (or if you prefer, representative government with democratically elected representatives) as well as Capitalism BOTH are based on the aggregate of "selfs" acting in their own interest, thus producing the optimum result for the greatest number.

mraynrand
04-21-2020, 04:22 PM
"Suspect"?

mraynrand
04-21-2020, 04:36 PM
EET MOR BURGERS

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EWHoI48XkAAA9bc?format=jpg&name=small

texaspackerbacker
04-21-2020, 06:01 PM
I got back a while ago from violating the stay at home order - again ...... great tennis weather today.

McDonalds is open here, drive-thru only, but whatever, really busy after people got their stimulus checks. My wife actually has a paper saying she is "essential personnel" hahahaha, although she has never been asked to show it.

George Cumby
04-21-2020, 08:19 PM
EET MOR BURGERS

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EWHoI48XkAAA9bc?format=jpg&name=small

I believe there exists a niche for a fast food joint that serves mutton.

I'm cooking dinner atm so I'm distracted, but I think this is an opportunity for the Packerrats to cook up some names they won't be sheepish about.

Joemailman
04-21-2020, 08:40 PM
Mmmmmm...Egg McMutton.

mraynrand
04-21-2020, 10:03 PM
Cheap dip

mraynrand
04-21-2020, 10:03 PM
Mutton Honey.

MadtownPacker
04-21-2020, 11:33 PM
I was uncivil towards some osama look-alike at the grocery store after work today. Am I wrong for sometimes feeling like I wish chaos would break loose?

GrnBay007
04-22-2020, 01:02 AM
Hey You! You are Chaos! :twisted::-P

mraynrand
04-22-2020, 07:23 AM

No way! Look who is here! How the hell are you?

texaspackerbacker
04-22-2020, 08:52 AM
I was uncivil towards some osama look-alike at the grocery store after work today. Am I wrong for sometimes feeling like I wish chaos would break loose?

Hell No! Just r-e-l-a-x and keep on being the Good Normal American that you apparently are, and tell yourself also that anytime you have a conflict with people, THEY are in the wrong, and you are right. (it works for me hahahaha). That's especially true if they are scruffy longhairs.

Hey, maybe you can get an SBA loan which doesn't need to be paid back - due to all the ad revenue you are not getting at Packerrats (my lame attempt at Rand-like sarcasm).

Deputy Nutz
04-22-2020, 10:16 AM

Where you uncivil because of his ethnicity?
A similar experience happened to me about a year ago. I was playing a pick up game of basketball with my students before lunch. We played for an hour and I was thirsty so I ran over to the gas station/convenience store to buy a gallon of water. I grabbed a jug and went to the cashier and "Osama" scanned the jug and stated, "Four dollars, and thirty-three cents please."
Really? I simply stated, "Hey, this is America, water isn't the same kind of commodity that it is in the desert that you are from." I then walked out.

MadtownPacker
04-22-2020, 01:21 PM
What the hell??? How have you been chica?? You have been sorely missed. I have emailed trying to get you back here. Figured you had married some rich dude. :lol:

MadtownPacker
04-22-2020, 01:25 PM
Hell No! Just r-e-l-a-x and keep on being the Good Normal American that you apparently are, and tell yourself also that anytime you have a conflict with people, THEY are in the wrong, and you are right. (it works for me hahahaha). That's especially true if they are scruffy longhairs.

Hey, maybe you can get an SBA loan which doesn't need to be paid back - due to all the ad revenue you are not getting at Packerrats (my lame attempt at Rand-like sarcasm).Thanks Tex. This bastard was in the wrong. I just reacted harshly. Don’t feel bad for him but I guess for the people that had to witness it.

MadtownPacker
04-22-2020, 01:46 PM
Where you uncivil because of his ethnicity?
A similar experience happened to me about a year ago. I was playing a pick up game of basketball with my students before lunch. We played for an hour and I was thirsty so I ran over to the gas station/convenience store to buy a gallon of water. I grabbed a jug and went to the cashier and "Osama" scanned the jug and stated, "Four dollars, and thirty-three cents please."
Really? I simply stated, "Hey, this is America, water isn't the same kind of commodity that it is in the desert that you are from." I then walked out.No but once I became angry and he started staring hard I did say “fuck allah and everything you believe in”.

He and his ragged bitch were shopping too. It was a large supermarket not his corner gas station store. First strike was his bitch getting all close to me in the meat section even though they had hella space. Strike two was when I saw them again getting into the cleaning supplies cabinet at the end of an aisle. I hate when people touch things they don’t need to, always have. Third strike, there was a lady waiting with her cart in line following the distancing guidelines. He walks in front of her with his cart and ask is she is in line. She looked surprised and told him to go ahead of her. Seemed to me she was trying to be polite and keep her distance.

So that is when I blew my top. Loudly told him that was crap and that he knew she was inline. Then I told him he was an asshole and why was he trying to steal the cleaning supplies in the aisle. He kept mad dogging and asking what did he do and what was my problem. I then stared back until he blinked and told him he wasn’t even good at it. Made him madder. Told him we could talk outside once I paid for my shit (I was about two rows away). We got louder and the manager of something came up and said please be civil or go outside. I told him I would just deal with it outside and he walked away. By then osama he started paying for his shit. When I walked out I looked for his towel wearing ass but he was no where to be found. He did have his bitch and teen son (acting like a lil prince in the store of course) with him so probably for the best.

George Cumby
04-22-2020, 07:16 PM
Can’t we all just get along?

wist43
04-26-2020, 08:46 PM

Hey 007... longtime no see.

Hope you all well!!

mraynrand
04-26-2020, 09:07 PM
Can’t we all just get along?

no