8 5-6 Jake Luton, Oregon State
9 6-7 James Morgan, FIU
10 6-7 Nate Stanley, Iowa
11 7-FA Anthony Gordon, Washington State

Other QBs watched, but graded as UDFA:
Cole McDonald, Tyler Huntley, Steven Montez

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2020, 02:05 AM
Watched a bit more of Eason, Luton, Morgan, Stanley, and Gordon. Not much changed. Luton is still my sleeper of the group after the top 7. The two kids from Wisconsin, Morgan and Stanley, have their strengths and weaknesses. Morgan has a big arm, but is inaccurate. He looked great against Louisiana Tech, but looked like a mess in other games. He didn't have a very good team around him. Stanley looks like a solid NFL backup.

Gordon is a hard evaluation. He has some of the worst mechanics I've witnessed. He looks like a gangly fawn in the pocket, but there's no denying he has some arm talent.

I give Tua a better grade than Herbert, but the injury concerns are real. I would not be surprised to see Herbert go before Tua.

Final QB Rankings:

1 1 Joe Burrow, LSU
2 1 Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama
3 1 Justin Herbert, Oregon
4 1-2 Jordan Love, Utah State
5 2-3 Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma
6 3 Jacob Eason, Washington
7 3-4 Jake Fromm, Georgia
9 6-7 James Morgan, FIU
11 6-7 Anthony Gordon, Washington State

Preference for the Packers: Mid Day 3 pick on Luton or Morgan.

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2020, 11:56 PM
I guess we aren't getting Luton. :)

RashanGary
04-24-2020, 12:17 AM
What did you think of love, Harvey?

RashanGary
04-24-2020, 12:18 AM
Imma have to watch some full games now. See if he has a knack for making shit happen

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2020, 01:24 AM
He's talented, but when there was talk that Love might go before Herbert, I took a look at the two. To me, Herbert is a better prospect. Love has first round talent though. I think he went where he should have. It's just a shock that Green Bay was the team to take him. I thought Drew Lock was a pretty good comp for Love.

RashanGary
04-24-2020, 01:58 AM
I watched 2018 Michigan State tape. He looked composed and competitive against a top 11 ranked team. Deep accuracy was off, but he was constantly under pressure on those throws.

He's gonna benefit from three years of mastering fundamentals. If he can get his footwork and delivery mastered and a good feel for the offense, obviously his chances to succeed go way up.

For him it's an ideal situation . For the Packers, time will tell.

GB-Brandon
04-24-2020, 02:30 AM
He's talented, but when there was talk that Love might go before Herbert, I took a look at the two. To me, Herbert is a better prospect. Love has first round talent though. I think he went where he should have. It's just a shock that Green Bay was the team to take him. I thought Drew Lock was a pretty good comp for Love.

Jalen Hurts is “talented”. Desean Kizer was “talented” who Gute also LOVED btw and strongly considered drafting him instead of Kevin King. Then eventually trading former 1st round pick Randall for him. He SUCKED. This Gute is a fraud. He isn’t some QB guru talent evaluator. He took a total Boom or Bust gamble just like with Gary. What makes this pick worse is how its gonna affect everything from the fans, the media, the locker room and potentially Aaron Rodgers in such a negative way. This is a bomb that will eventually go off. I mean if your in the Packers locker room your thinking wtf like does this GM even want to win right now cause his actions say NO! This move sets us back in many ways and was clearly not the right time unless Rodgers plans on hanging it up. That would be the only reason to take a chance on this guy.

Why the hell give Rodgers the big fully guaranteed deal then? The whole idea is to get a rookie QB “playing on a rookie deal” so you can spend $ everywhere else. With the way this whole thing is set up that’s never gonna happen so that’s another fail. So this “boom or bust pick” is gonna sit on the bench for 3-4 years? This makes zero sense when your in the middle of a Super Bowl Run. Why not use the pick to help Rodgers instead of using it to fuck him up? Cause that’s exactly what Gute did.

Now as far as a the “Love Pick” even the scouts that like him say HE MIGHT be able to be something but that he will need at least two years of development and then who knows. There are serious flaws in his game. Why aren’t you talking about the 17 interceptions he threw IN THE MOUNTAIN WEST last year? Why aren’t you talking about his accuracy issues and frequent misses on underneath routes? He is a Fake Patrick Mahommes and i believe more of a Deshon Kizer. Coming into this season he is probably a slightly better player then Boyle.

These are the type of bonehead moves that get GM’s fired and Gute is quickly walking that line if this miracle doesn’t evolve for him. First Gary and now this. I’m sorry guys but Gute isn’t taking us to the promise land.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2020, 02:36 AM
Kizer and Hurts aren't as talented as Love. Randall may have been a first round pick, but by the time of that trade they had no interest in keeping him on the roster. His play was average and he had become a cancer.

GB-Brandon
04-24-2020, 02:40 AM
I watched 2018 Michigan State tape. He looked composed and competitive against a top 11 ranked team. Deep accuracy was off, but he was constantly under pressure on those throws.

He's gonna benefit from three years of mastering fundamentals. If he can get his footwork and delivery mastered and a good feel for the offense, obviously his chances to succeed go way up.

For him it's an ideal situation . For the Packers, time will tell.

Unfortunately teams aren’t taking 3-4 years too develop 1st round QB’s anymore. It’s 2020. Doesn’t work that way. You might take that kind of time to develop a mid round guy like Hundley. Really doesn’t matter cause I doubt Love will even be on the team in 3-4 years and I also doubt Gute will be the GM but the nightmare of this debacle will never go away.

GB-Brandon
04-24-2020, 02:51 AM
Kizer and Hurts aren't as talented as Love. Randall may have been a first round pick, but by the time of that trade they had no interest in keeping him on the roster. His play was average and he had become a cancer.

What do you call Love’s play last year? Hmmm

pbmax
04-24-2020, 08:44 AM
I guess we aren't getting Luton. :)

Brohm/Flynn draft all over again Harv.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2020, 09:38 AM
What do you call Love’s play last year? Hmmm

New coaching staff and one other returning starter on offense probably made it a Herculean effort for Love to succeed. He tried to do too much with subpar talent on offense. Don't love the pick, but Love is not without first round talent. It could work out. It's protection for Rodgers regressing more. Love has two years to get good. I don't love the pick, but I understand it. It's how I felt when Rodgers was selected.

mraynrand
04-24-2020, 10:33 AM
Brohm/Flynn draft all over again Harv.

That TT was a fraud. He wasn't some QB guru talent evaluator. He took a total Boom or Bust gamble with Brohm because he wasn't even sure about Rodgers. Rodgers was a total wild guess. He never believed he would turn out or he wouldn't have taken Brohm.

And don't get me started on AJ Hawk, when he could have put in an all pro at the TE position for a decade, and "surrounded Brett Favre with the talent he needed to win!"

GB-Brandon
04-24-2020, 10:43 AM
New coaching staff and one other returning starter on offense probably made it a Herculean effort for Love to succeed. He tried to do too much with subpar talent on offense. Don't love the pick, but Love is not without first round talent. It could work out. It's protection for Rodgers regressing more. Love has two years to get good. I don't love the pick, but I understand it. It's how I felt when Rodgers was selected.

It’s not the same as 2004 though . It was a horrible Move/Pick and completely unnecessary at this time. This Love kid doesn’t have “it”. There is no good side to this. It creates more damage then good.

Only 1 Packer re-tweeted after the Pick. Way to destroy your locker room. Nobody is happy about this bullshit.

Fritz
04-24-2020, 10:49 AM
It’s not the same as 2004 though . It was a horrible Move/Pick and completely unnecessary at this time. This Love kid doesn’t have “it”. There is no good side to this. It creates more damage then good.

Only 1 Packer re-tweeted after the Pick. Way to destroy your locker room. Nobody is happy about this bullshit.

Maybe you're too young to remember, but this is exactly what was said when Rodgers was drafted...

GB-Brandon
04-24-2020, 10:58 AM
Maybe you're too young to remember, but this is exactly what was said when Rodgers was drafted...

The uninformed fan can live in that bubble to create some kind of normalcy bias but this was nothing like 2004 and is
just really bad all the way around. Sorry, but if people think Love has the arm talent that Aaron Rodgers has then they need some serious mental evaluation. It will be interesting to hear the rumblings when this disaster becomes full circle.

Now if Joe Burrow dropped to us in 1st round it would be somewhat similar to 2004.

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2020, 07:39 PM
Actually, it was that bad. People were livid. Nobody liked Rodgers--even though he was projected to go top two. Tedford disciple. Many here were on the JSO boards back then, and it was a similar reaction. It's more like if Justin Herbert had fallen to us, not Joe Burrow. Ask folks around here that were around back then. People were hoping that some team would stop Rodgers fall before he got to us.

Damn. I've been on a Packers forum with you losers for 15-16 years.

Bretsky
04-25-2020, 07:44 PM
Harv is right; it was chaos and flaming hate with Rodgers. And Herbert falling would be the comparison........MINUS donating our 4th round draft pick

I'm probably more baffled about Gutebag's Failure to address our Captain Obvious Weakness at WR than I am we took a QB. I think it was stupid to trade up for the guy; I'd have felt better if they stayed pat, and I undoubtedly would have rather had them trade down and pick up a 4th and take the WR at top of round two.

But I consider Gutebag grossly incompetent for ignoring that in a draft more loaded with WR's than any I've ever seen. All he had to do was move up a few spots in round two or round three.

Freak Out
04-25-2020, 07:45 PM
The "it" factor. lol Partial?

Sparkey
04-25-2020, 07:53 PM
Marc Ross, Buffalo: "He's a little short. The thing you worry about is those (Jeff) Tedford guys. They don't do anything for a couple years and then they have a good year or two. Who of his quarterbacks has done what they're supposed to do? None of them. Is he just working magic with great college quarterbacks or just manufacturing guys?"

AFC scout: "I like him. He's a very talented guy. A lot of quarterbacks that were system people have not done very well. That puts up a red flag. Not that he is one of them. He could be an exception. But I can't get it out of my craw."

Rich Snead, Tennessee: "I like him. I just don't know if he's maxed out. He's more accurate than (Kyle) Boller but probably not as athletic. He's a better player than Akili Smith. He's more athletic than (Trent) Dilfer was. He's a little more mobile than Joey Harrington. He had to go to a JC because no one would recruit him because they said he was too small. He's been busting his (expletive) his whole life to get to this point. I just don't know how much more he has to give."

NFC scout: "(Alex) Smith is the better athlete."

AFC scout: "I think he has some upside although there are some things that are just ordinary about him."

Jerry Angelo, Chicago: "I'd give Rodgers the edge (over Smith) just because he was easier to evaluate. And there's a little more arm. But the edge is negligible."

NFC scout: "I think he has a good chance of being a bust. Just like every other Tedford-coached quarterback. Thing I struggle with him is he gets sacked a lot. He doesn't have great ability to change the release of the football. He's mechanically very rigid. Brett Favre can change his release point and find different windows. There will be more growing pains with Alex Smith but in the end he has a much better chance to be much better."

NFC scout: "The guys that Tedford has had, what have they developed into? They're too well-schooled. So mechanical. So robotic. I don't know if they become good pro players. I think Rodgers is in that same mold."

AFC scout: "I don't like him. He's a clone of Harrington and Boller. They all throw the same way. What have those guys done? Nothing. If you take him in the second round, fine. Heady guy. They do a marvelous job of coaching quarterbacks there. I don't think he's as good as the top quarterbacks coming out last year."

AFC scout: "I don't think he's in the class of the quarterbacks that came out last year. Strong arm. Pretty good athlete. Still has some holes in his game."

Bill Polian, Indianapolis: "I see a guy who has good arm strength. I see some athletic ability. I see a guy who was pretty good with a good team. I see a guy who's in a pretty efficient offense. Am I certain that he's going to come in and lead my team to the Promised Land? I can't say that. I'm not even sure I can say that about Alex Smith."

AFC scout: "He's a system quarterback. 3-, 5-, 7-step guy. Can't create on his own. Panics under pressure. Gets flustered easy. I don't think there's a quarterback in the draft worthy of a first-round pick. I'm dead serious. None of them are worth it."

NFC scout: "He fit right into the Cal system. He probably executed that as well as anybody. He doesn't have as strong an arm as Boller but can make the same reads and play the scheme as well as Boller did.

sharpe1027
04-25-2020, 07:58 PM
The "it" factor. lol Partial?

My thoughts exactly.

pbmax
04-26-2020, 08:42 AM
Nice find Sparkey.

mraynrand
04-26-2020, 09:07 AM

Damn. I've been on a Packers forum with you losers for 15-16 years.

😀

pbmax
04-26-2020, 09:14 AM
��

Goes back farther than that too. JSO message boards were happening as far back as 98 or 99 I think. I still remember seeing an entire summer of the same damn picture on the Packers JSO page there and it refused to change in the stupid acceptance that there was no news. :lol:

Then I found the message boards.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2020, 01:28 AM
Watched a bit more of Eason, Luton, Morgan, Stanley, and Gordon. Not much changed. Luton is still my sleeper of the group after the top 7. The two kids from Wisconsin, Morgan and Stanley, have their strengths and weaknesses. Morgan has a big arm, but is inaccurate. He looked great against Louisiana Tech, but looked like a mess in other games. He didn't have a very good team around him. Stanley looks like a solid NFL backup.

Gordon is a hard evaluation. He has some of the worst mechanics I've witnessed. He looks like a gangly fawn in the pocket, but there's no denying he has some arm talent.

I give Tua a better grade than Herbert, but the injury concerns are real. I would not be surprised to see Herbert go before Tua.

Final QB Rankings:

1 1 Joe Burrow, LSU
2 1 Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama
3 1 Justin Herbert, Oregon
4 1-2 Jordan Love, Utah State
5 2-3 Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma
6 3 Jacob Eason, Washington
7 3-4 Jake Fromm, Georgia
9 6-7 James Morgan, FIU
11 6-7 Anthony Gordon, Washington State

Preference for the Packers: Mid Day 3 pick on Luton or Morgan.

I feel pretty good about this one. On every draft site that I looked at Anthony Gordon was ranked higher than Jake Luton. I pounded the table for Luton. Jags coaches said Luton was very impressive in camp, and he won the backup job. Gordon wasn't drafted, was cut, and as far as I know not signed to a practice squad.

Jags go with another 6th-rounder, Jake Luton, as backup QB (https://apnews.com/15649bb910fbc45957e839a74f14c326)

General manager Dave Caldwell and coach Doug Marrone kept rookie Jake Luton to play behind Gardner Minshew as they finalized their 53-man roster Saturday. They cut veteran Mike Glennon and waived Josh Dobbs.

“Jake has been very impressive,” Caldwell said. “He actually made the decision relatively easy for us.”

Luton was one of the biggest surprises of Jacksonville’s training camp, along with undrafted running back James Robinson...

It's too early to say what will happen with these guys, but it's fun to read my sleeper looks good.

run pMc
09-11-2020, 11:06 AM
I love this quote (emphasis mine):

AFC scout: "He's a system quarterback. 3-, 5-, 7-step guy. Can't create on his own. Panics under pressure. Gets flustered easy. I don't think there's a quarterback in the draft worthy of a first-round pick. I'm dead serious. None of them are worth it."

Scouts were clearly divided on Rodgers, and it's fairly safe to say NONE of them saw him as a HOF type. Now, I doubt Jordan Love is, but it's waaay too early to know. In terms of drafting, he wasn't really a reach, it's just a surprise GB took him when they had other needs. Just like they did when they drafted a QB and a safety out of the FCS in rounds 1 & 2 of 2005 draft.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-11-2020, 11:33 AM
Josh Love will have a better NFL career than Jordan Love. Y’all read it here first - if y’all actually do read my awesome posts.