PDA

View Full Version : Nutz's 2020 NFL 1st Round Mock Draft

Deputy Nutz
04-20-2020, 12:42 PM
1. Cincinnati Bungles: Joe Burrows QB LSU - Unless Cincinnati totally screws this up this pick will go off with very little surprise. Sure they could fall in love with Chase Young and do something stupid like draft him #1 without trading back. Burrows isn't without risk though, he had one record setting phenomenal type year at LSU and looked good doing it. There was no magic there, no crazy June Jones type offense with smoke and mirrors. Burrows is legit, but he came out of the shadows for one season.

2. Washington Racists: Chase Young DE Ohio St - Premier pass rusher in a draft that is severely lacking in players that have the total combination in getting the QB to the ground. This pick makes a lot of sense but like the Bengals above, Washington has ways of screwing themselves up. They might decide that Tua is the signal caller of the future and draft him here, which would be a mistake.

3. Detroit Kittens: Derrick Brown DL Auburn - This organization struggles to do anything right. So this pick is totally up in the air. This team needs a game changer and I don't know how many are left on the defensive side of the ball. If I was Detroit I would trade this pick and never look back. Brown gives them a big, quick man in the middle that can shut down opponent's run games and can get the push you want in the pass game.

4. New York Giants: Isaiah Simmons LB Clemson - Every offensive tackle is available, and they are all very good. Protection for a young QB is vital to a successful offense but the Giants are looking to catch magic 40 years ago and draft a game changing linebacker. Simmons is a great athlete, some would say a generational athlete, but I think he is only a good football player.

5. Miami Dolphins: Justin Herbert QB Oregon - Dolphins have three first round picks. If they really wanted Joe Burrows They could trade every one of their first round picks to the Bengals, but I still don't think it would work. There are a lot of great football players available, especially at Tackle, but the Dolphins follow blueprints and go with a signal caller. There is a lot of risk here as if they don't pick the right one they will strive for mediocrity for the next ten years.

6.Los Angels Chargers: Tua Tagovialoa QB Alabama - I think a month ago the Chargers were trying to figure out a way to be in a position to draft Tua, but with the rise of Herbert and the possible fall of Tua, The Chargers are happy to stand by and see which one gets to them. This changes if a team moves ahead of them in the draft.

7. Carolina Panthers: Jeffery Okudah CB Ohio St. - Panthers content to roll with Bridgewater and look towards the defensive side of the ball. The Panthers land the best defensive back in the draft, and should be quick to dial the phone on draft day to get him. Okudah is not a burner but he is very fluid, large frame, and can tackle.

8. Arizona Cardinals: Tristan Wirfs OT Iowa - Some how the Cardinals managed to get Deandre Hopkins in the off season so they don't need to go big at receiver in the first round, they can find some protection for their young QB. Wirfs is the best out of a group of 4 that are extremely talented offensive linemen.

9. Jacksonville Jaguars: CJ Henderson CB Florida - Jacksonville could be one of those teams that could use their two first round picks to move up in this draft to get into the sweepstakes for Herbert and Tua. It might be a decent decision as both of their picks are in interesting spots in the first round. Henderson is a heck of a cover guy and he should be a solution to the chaos in the Jacksonville secondary.

10. Cleveland Browns: Andrew Thomas OT Georgia - This pick makes a lot of sense hopefully the Browns have finally fixed their front office issues and coaching staff and the draft is the first sign that the Browns are ready to operate like a professional NFL franchise. Thomas is big, long, and athletic and could easily be a fixture at left tackle for years to come. He has the ability to step into the giant footprints left by Joe Thomas.

11. New York Jets: Mekhi Becton OT Louisville - This dude is a Monmouth of a human. Red flagged for a tainted drug specimen at the combine, no info of what drug was in his system. The guy is super large, and athletic. It will be interesting in what order these top tackles will come off the board.

Deputy Nutz
04-20-2020, 12:42 PM
12. Las Vegas Raiders: Henry Ruggs III WR Alabama - In my humble opinion Ruggs is the best receiver in this draft and also the fastest. Something the Raiders will always draft ahead of any other attribute. I also love the sound of "Las Vegas" in front of the Raiders. The Raiders have also stockpiled draft picks in the first round and in the second round, they could easily make a push for one of the top QBs in this draft.

13. San Francisco 49ers: Jerry Juedy WR Alabama - Back to back Alabama receivers come off the board. Juedy can run routes, and catch footballs with the the best of them. He is super talented and in one word "graceful" running routes. Not much separates the top 3 receivers from each other so it will be the preference of the teams that select wide receivers.

14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jedrick Wills OT Alabama - Lamb is still available and so are the top three running backs, but keeping Brady up right will be most important, he can still throw receivers open and running backs will come and go. Wills has position flexibility and is probably as good as any other lineman in this draft.

15. Denver Broncos: Cee Dee Lamb WR Oklahoma - Denver is in a good position as one of the top 3 receivers is still available, but other teams might be willing to give up top draft capitol to get a Lamb. Lamb is electric after the catch and is a play maker. His top end speed is average.

16. Atlanta Falcons: K'Lavon Chaisson Edge LSU - Falcons should consider themselves lucky to land Chaisson as he is the second best edge rusher in the draft. Other teams should have interest in this pick and the Falcons have holes to fill.

17. Dallas Cowboys: Jeff Gladney CB TCU - Gladney has been compared favorably to Jaire Alexander, but might not have that top gear that Alexander has. Gladney is a solid corner that isn't going to get you burned in the secondary. Cowboys could go a couple different directions but this solves their #1 need on defense.

18. Miami Dolphins: Xavier McKinney S Alabama - Not the sexiest pick, but one that is needed in the Miami secondary. Miami isn't going to find huge value with the 18th pick. They might choose to trade down and keep adding picks for a deep 2020 draft.

19. Las Vegas Raiders: Javon Kinlaw DL South Carolina - Kinlaw has the potential to be considered a top 5 pick in any draft, but he is a bit of project, but a project that should hit the ground running. The Raiders get great value here.

20. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jordan Love QB Utah St - Jaguars simply could have someone offer to move up for the same player and I think they would be just as happy. The Jaguars aren't a team that needs quarterback controversy as Minshew is solid but he has engraved his name as the starter in Jacksonville. Love is the better prospect and has a better long term future but he might have better fits in the NFL than the Jaguars.

21. Philadelphia Eagles: Justin Jefferson WR LSU - The Eagles lands a top 4 receiver and find a pass catcher for Wentz, this should give the Eagles more ways to score touchdowns and move the football

Deputy Nutz
04-20-2020, 12:43 PM
22. Minnesota Vikings: Kristian Fulton CB LSU - Vikings need all the help they can get at corner as high picks in the past of underachieved. Fulton brings a good mix to the position.

23. New England Patriots: Denzel Mims WR Baylor - This pick could go a lot of different directions as the Pats are not known for drafting receivers in the first round. Mims is a receiver that can check all the boxes and has really moved up the draft boards these past few weeks.

24. New Orleans Saints: Patrick Queen LB LSU - Saints need to shore up the middle of their defense. They could also go to the other side of the ball and draft another receiver. Queen provides some elite athleticism to the position, more than anything he is going to be solid for years.

25. Minnesota Vikings: Cesar Ruiz OL Michigan - Another need filled for the Vikings, Ruiz is an athletic mauler that can be a fixture on the interior line of the Vikings for a lot of years.

26. Miami Dolphins: Josh Jones OT Houston - I think Jones is more of a project than most people, but he did a nice job at the Senior Bowl and his stock went through the roof. He went from a 3rd round pick to 1st round pick. He is long and has some natural athleticism that is needed for the position. I would like to see him bend a little more at the knees.

27. Seattle Seahawks: Isaiah Wilson OT Georgia - He might be the most aggressive tackle in the draft. He just doesn't push people around, he throws them around. He isn't the most agile tackle in the draft but he gets people blocked, and after all that is what counts.

28. Baltimore Ravens: Zach Baun Edge Wisconsin - Baltimore could go receiver, but they need a linebacker and an edge rusher as well, so they go with a hybrid jack of all trades in Baun.

29. Tennessee Titans: Yetur Gross-Metos Edge Penn St - This is a solid pick, but nothing more. I am not that high on Metos although he is a better edge setter than some, and although he doesn't have a great first step he uses his length well.

30. Green Bay Packers: Kenneth Murray LB Oklahom - This is the pick I would make, this is probably not the pick the Packers will make. The Packers need long term athleticism at the middle linebacker position, along with a player that can play off his instincts. Murray is that type of athlete that can benefit the Packers in defending the run and the pass.

31. San Francisco 49ers: AJ Terrell CB Clemson - The rich get richer as the 49ers fix a problem area on their defense. They could look at filling a hole left by Buckner on the defensive line as there are many candidates available.

32. Kansas City Chiefs: Noah Igbinoghene CB Auburn - Kansas city wants to challenge the pass on defense whether that is through rushing the passer or defending with coverage. Obviously the Chiefs could use this pick on any of top three running backs still available.

pbmax
04-20-2020, 01:21 PM
Nutz, I fixed a color tag issue in the post with the Bucs player.

Love the mock draft. Would be very happy with Murray but I expect this only happens if they can't trade down.

Possible that having an LB for good money (with fifth year option) makes this palatable for the Packers expense plan on defense.

GB-Brandon
04-20-2020, 07:38 PM
I heard a rumor the Chiefs are interested in trading up for “Ruggs”. Imagine that?

They seem to understand the importance of giving there franchise QB a multitude of weapons.

Deputy Nutz
04-20-2020, 08:11 PM
Chiefs are going to have to move into the top twenty. That will mean giving up next year's first round pick along with slew of picks this year.

GB-Brandon
04-20-2020, 08:18 PM
I like Ruggs a lot but I think Reagor would do the job.

I’d be okay with Mimms too. How can you not with his “RAS Score” and production.

Bretsky
04-20-2020, 10:08 PM
Murray would be pretty dam good for GB

call_me_ishmael
04-20-2020, 10:52 PM
I think Murray is gonna be long gone by the time GB picks but that is just my uninformed opinion and reading between the tea leafs of some of the more popular Twitter pundits. The vibe I'm getting is "GMs" (lol) think he is a special player and one of the better players in the draft.

pbmax
04-21-2020, 12:52 AM
The KC rumor was unearthed by Peter King (no idea if he was first but he made it widely known) but even he labeled it a wild rumor.

But the rumor is the Chiefs would jump up into the 20s if Ruggs drops into that range.

Deputy Nutz
04-21-2020, 09:45 AM
I think Murray is gonna be long gone by the time GB picks but that is just my uninformed opinion and reading between the tea leafs of some of the more popular Twitter pundits. The vibe I'm getting is "GMs" (lol) think he is a special player and one of the better players in the draft.

His film wasn't as good as Devin Bush's or T. White's from last year. He is good but it is coin flip between him and Queen.

bobblehead
04-21-2020, 12:05 PM
Nice draft nutz. Only couple things I think go a bit different. I agree that Herbert goes before Tua...I think someone will trade to 3 to get him as lions won't mind moving back. I think Tua slides even further down the board. Maybe as late at 20. I also think Gutz moves up. He will fall in love with Mims. Big athlete. Its a gutz type pick. Athleticism over football player. I also think Gruden remembers what made Rice special and goes with Jeudy over Ruggs.

Personally if I were Gutz I would jump to 27 and trade with Seattle again. Shouldn't cost much, and I would land Baun. I think he is really a nice versatile chess piece. Have him play inside out. Maybe slide to edge on obvious pass downs with Z moving inside. Or he can stay off the ball. It could confuse an offense not knowing where guys might line up.

Deputy Nutz
04-21-2020, 12:48 PM
I think Ruggs gets hit with the stereotype that because he is fast he isn't a polished route runner. This would be a false stereotype.

GB-Brandon
04-21-2020, 01:18 PM
I have Ruggs as the best receiver in the whole draft. To me he is faster and will be even a better version of Emanuel Sanders.

Would be a grand slam if he dropped into 20’s and Gute scooped him up.

GB-Brandon
04-21-2020, 01:26 PM
D. Adams, Ruggs, Funches along with AJ in the backfield would be lethal.