PDA

View Full Version : Robinson NOT "signed" - yet

Patler
09-11-2006, 09:40 PM
I don't think he is actually signed yet. All the releases say "agreed to terms" with, not "signed". In the past the Packers have been very careful in their use of terminology in press releases. Plus, no announced player released yet.

I have a hunch the Packers are working on a trade to free a roster spot to sign Robinson. Probably a DT for a draft pick. There were rumors of that before the final cutdown. Could be Cory Williams, good enough to get a draft pick for, but not so good as to be missed.

ND72
09-11-2006, 09:44 PM
i wouldn't doubt it, but I donno if it'd be Williams...He's on Kick Return, Kick off, and punt return, and played a lot of defensive snaps this past weekend....i could be wrong of coruse, but i don't know if it'd be him.

Patler
09-11-2006, 09:48 PM
i wouldn't doubt it, but I donno if it'd be Williams...He's on Kick Return, Kick off, and punt return, and played a lot of defensive snaps this past weekend....i could be wrong of coruse, but i don't know if it'd be him.

My second guess would be Jenkins, but I think they like his pass-rush. Cole is solid and I would be reall surprised if he is traded. Kenderick and Jolly wouldn't draw a lot of interest. That's why I settled on Williams.

retailguy
09-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Patler,

I don't think this is accurate. I just checked packers.com and they used the term "signed". also, he's been issued jersey #81..

Is it possible that the release of Mike Hawkins back on the 8th, left us at 52? I wasn't really paying attention. But no one has been released and we can't have 54, for even a moment....

Partial
09-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Patler,

I don't think this is accurate. I just checked packers.com and they used the term "signed". also, he's been issued jersey #81..

Is it possible that the release of Mike Hawkins back on the 8th, left us at 52? I wasn't really paying attention. But no one has been released and we can't have 54, for even a moment....

IR

Willard
09-12-2006, 01:27 PM
I counted the number of players on the Pack's roster. It is 54. http://www.packers.com/team/players/

Maybe a team gets a roster exemption for a week after getting humiliated on its home turf. Do Tampa Bay and Oakland also get 54 players this week? :wink:

red
09-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Patler,

i thought someone said hawkins was on IR so he didn't count against our cap.

but i also think that we can't have 54 at any point, so a cut would have had to be made before he was signed

Partial
09-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Patler,

but i also think that we can't have 54 at any point, so a cut would have had to be made before he was signed

FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD!! JK, he had a good game last week.

prsnfoto
09-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Brett favre was released this afternoon and immediately signed with the tampa bay Bucs. Sorry Brett if you are reading this it is a joke.

Patler
09-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Patler,

I think I may have figured it out, finally! :roll:

Seattle received a two week exemption for Branch. He can practice but not play and can be activated at anytime by releasing another player. GB probably did the same with Robinson, if he has in fact signed, even though every reference has been "agreed to terms" not "signed". If he is exempt they have a few days to decide what they want to do, even if they intend to play him this weekend.

Fosco33
09-12-2006, 01:39 PM
I still think they'll demote Humphrey (#4 TE) and release Alcorn (Practice Squad TE). No reason to mess w/ the DLine now that we have another WR.

woodbuck27
09-12-2006, 01:47 PM
From the NFL's Internet RAG, PFT.COM:

POSTED 8:14 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 8:25 a.m. EDT, September 12, 2006

K-ROB TO PROP UP B-FAV?

The Packers made a move on Monday aimed at helping a roster seemingly devoid of talent. Specifically, they signed receiver Koren Robinson, who now embarks on his third chance to prove himself worthy of an NFL paycheck.

Robinson, a Pro Bowl kick returner in 2005 and a top-ten draft pick in 2001, was cut by the Vikings after an August 15 felony arrest after fleeing police who were trying to pull him over on suspicion of DUI. (At least he had his clothes on.) The Vikes had signed him last September after the Seahawks gave up on him.

In addition to the new charges, Robinson also faces revocation of probation resulting from a 2005 guilty plea on drunk driving charges.

Also hanging over Robinson is the possibility of a one-year suspension by the league, along with alcohol issues that surely aren't resolved even after his much-publicized treatment "tune up" over the summer.

It's a desperate move by a desperate team, in our view. And we can only imagine how zealously Vikings fans will gloat regarding the fact that the Packers have been reduced to sorting through Minnesota's trash heap in order to give Green Bay a frozen tundra's chance at winning games and, at a minimum, scoring points.

The former member of the N.C. State Wolfpack (which after the recent DUI arrest of Jags corner Brian Williams might want to change its nickname to the Sixpack) has the talent to be successful, but there are too many questions -- and too great a chance that Robinson will be more trouble than he's worth.

Looming in the background is the issue of how much of this quarterback Brett Favre can take. There were rumors flying on Monday of Favre possibly packing it in, but in lieu of posting those rumors (we have learned from past errors) we bounced them off of some knowledgeable NFL types and learned that there is nothing to such talk, for now.

Still, if Robinson ends up playing Speed Racer down Lombardi Avenue, it could be enough to make Favre and plenty of other folks swear off cheese, permanently.

Comment woodbuck27:

Whhhheeeuuu !! Sticky situation. :mrgreen:

Are YOU :cool: Ted? :idea:

Willard
09-12-2006, 01:49 PM
I still think they'll demote Humphrey (#4 TE) and release Alcorn (Practice Squad TE). No reason to mess w/ the DLine now that we have another WR.

I agree that this will happen. Regarding the DT glut, I predict TT is in a game of chicken with at least one other team who is interested in one of our DTs. If TT gets the draft pick he wants he will seal the deal.

Fosco33
09-12-2006, 01:49 PM
From the NFL's Internet RAG, PFT.COM:

[b]And we can only imagine how zealously Vikings fans will gloat regarding the fact that the Packers have been reduced to sorting through Minnesota's trash heap in order to give Green Bay a frozen tundra's chance at winning games and, at a minimum, scoring points.

Cheap shot from a suspect source, at best. Lest we forget that the Vikings have went after many more Packers than the Packers have former Vikings. :crazy:

packrulz
09-12-2006, 02:26 PM

Tory Humphrey was in NFLE so I doubt he's eligible for the PS, TT would have to just release him.

Pack0514
09-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Tory Humphrey was in NFLE so I doubt he's eligible for the PS, TT would have to just release him.

Bigby was NFLE also and he is on the PS...... Sorry Rulz, but we still love ya anyways.

packrulz
09-12-2006, 03:16 PM

Bigby was NFLE also and he is on the PS...... Sorry Rulz, but we still love ya anyways.

Oh yea, my bad. Thanks, it's nice to be appreciated in spite of my incompetance. :roll:

Pack0514
09-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Well..... rumor has it that Vonta Leach got the axe....... there is also a rumor that he will sign with the Saints. Im sure they will pump him for info on game plans etc.

Pack0514
09-13-2006, 07:44 AM
http://media.Scout.com/Media/Image/35/355486.jpg
Vonta Leach

By Todd Korth
packrepted@aol.com
Posted Sep 12, 2006

The Green Bay Packers Tuesday announced that they released fullback Vonta Leach in order to make room on the 53-man roster for wide receiver Koren Robinson, who officially signed his two-year contract.

Leach started Sunday's game against the Chicago Bears for the injured William Henderson, who is expected to return to action this Sunday against the New Orleans Saints.

Leach, a third-year pro, started five of 16 games last year for the Packers. He had problems catching passes out of the backfield during training camp this season, which likely was one of the main reasons he was released.

Robinson is expected to join the team for practice, beginning Wednesday.

Henderson, a 12th year pro, is the team's only true fullback. The Packers used David Martin, one of four tight ends on the roster, for a handful of snaps at fullback on Sunday against the Bears. Henderson underwent arthroscopic knee surgery Aug. 21 after he was injured Aug. 19 in a preseason game against Atlanta. He returned to practice last week but was not activated to the game day roster against the Bears.

Guiness
09-13-2006, 10:14 AM
I think releasing Leach was just plain stupid, for on main reason: I think he ends up on the Saints roster this week.

The 'aints injured both of their FB, so they need a starter. By picking him up, they would get a serviceable FB, who'll be incredibly motivated and know our O quite good.

Does that make any sense at all?

Fosco33
09-13-2006, 10:52 AM
I think releasing Leach was just plain stupid, for on main reason: I think he ends up on the Saints roster this week.

The 'aints injured both of their FB, so they need a starter. By picking him up, they would get a serviceable FB, who'll be incredibly motivated and know our O quite good.

Very interesting indeed - I did not know that. You wonder, does Robinson play this weekend - if not, they really should've waited to pull this trigger until next week :crazy:

Patler
09-13-2006, 11:18 AM

Leach will go through waivers, so whether or not the Saints get him even if they want him will depend on who else puts in a waiver claim. There has been some talk that Houston might. Apparently they have some injuries at FB too.

All in all, I think worrying about which team might sign a player that you no longer want would be a waste of time for the GM. What's the difference if it is the team you play this week, next week, the week after, or the week after that? You could argue that a player going to the Saints this week would cause less damage than if he went to someone the Packers play later in the season because the Saints already have their game plan made out for the Packers and will have less time to change it than if the player is available for info before the game plan is finalized. They will have less time to gain information from him, as he probably won't be there until Thursday anyway.

MJZiggy
09-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Huh. I didn't know Leach had to go through waivers. There's also the thought that if NO were to claim him, they'd have to cut someone as well.

mmmdk
09-13-2006, 11:22 AM

Very interesting indeed - I did not know that. You wonder, does Robinson play this weekend - if not, they really should've waited to pull this trigger until next week :crazy:

I thought the very same thing when I read it - this could haunt the Pack sunday. Also, Payton was interviewed by TT for Packers HC job. Payback? Nah, Payton seems happy to be a Saint...