PDA

View Full Version : Official NFL Draft Day 1 Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Gotarace
04-23-2020, 11:00 PM
Maybe Love has Excellent Hands running a Slant...

red
04-23-2020, 11:00 PM
Basically Gute and Lafleur saying Rodgers isn't capable of leading a team to a SB anymore. The balls to say we are going to not only use a first rounder but trade up to get a guy than in no way helps our current roster, to be his replacement. Wow. I'm just dumbfounded. If I'm Aaron I'm trying to figure any way the fuck out of GB.

i think i kinda agree

this was not a "win now" move, and it also just put a giant expiration date on aaron rodgers

i wouldn't doubt he demands a trade, but we literally can't do it for 2 years

GB-Brandon
04-23-2020, 11:01 PM
Trade up and bring is some pot head QB from Utah State and deny any chance of greatness.

wist43
04-23-2020, 11:01 PM
guess what folks

aaron rodgers is not going to retire as a packer either

wonder if this one will farther fracture packer nation

Yeah, that's one of the first things I thought of too... the locker room, and drama, and meism...

Gute just threw a major monkey wrench into the organization... seriously, he did not think this thru.

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2020, 11:02 PM
The more experienced scout (Marino) from The Draft Network--as opposed to Solak from an earlier part.

Jordan Love isn’t without his warts but he possesses a high-level physical skill set and peaks on tape that reveal the ceiling of a potential dynamic NFL starting quarterback. His arm talent and mobility is perfect for the trends of today’s NFL and there is no limitations to what he can do on the field. The full playbook is open for Love and then some. With that said, he does need to make notable strides in several key areas including decision-making, timing and accuracy to achieve his ceiling. An early investment in Love is a bet on yourself to be able to develop his overall game but his upside is worth the calculated risk.

GB-Brandon
Welcome to 3-13. Lol

Rastak
Vikings take DB Gladney

GB-Brandon
04-23-2020, 11:03 PM
Welcome to 3-13

wist43
04-23-2020, 11:03 PM
Guy could become the next Favre.....anyway, Vikes on the clock and I gotta work in the morning.......

Cya ras... we're seriously bummed over here, lol.

red
04-23-2020, 11:04 PM
Vikings take DB Gladney

i have no clue if thats a good pick or not

i think i had a stroke about a half hour ago

wist43
04-23-2020, 11:04 PM
Vikings take DB Gladney

Love to Gladney?? Sounds like it's in our future :)

Rastak
04-23-2020, 11:05 PM
i have no clue if thats a good pick or not

i think i had a stroke about a half hour ago

No idea, guy I watch thought he'd be great in the 2nd so who knows.

Bretsky
Guy could become the next Favre.....anyway, Vikes on the clock and I gotta work in the morning.......

NICE PICK Rastak; gotta be a great day for a Viking fan to get these two guys. Producers with nice talent and upside.

mraynrand
This thread looks a lot like the 2005 draft thread.

red
04-23-2020, 11:06 PM
The more experienced scout (Marino) from The Draft Network--as opposed to Crabbs from an earlier part.

Jordan Love isn’t without his warts but he possesses a high-level physical skill set and peaks on tape that reveal the ceiling of a potential dynamic NFL starting quarterback. His arm talent and mobility is perfect for the trends of today’s NFL and there is no limitations to what he can do on the field. The full playbook is open for Love and then some. With that said, he does need to make notable strides in several key areas including decision-making, timing and accuracy to achieve his ceiling. An early investment in Love is a bet on yourself to be able to develop his overall game but his upside is worth the calculated risk.

oh, he just isn't good at the 3 most important things a QB needs

GB-Brandon
04-23-2020, 11:06 PM
It isn't so much that Gute is throwing in the towel for Rodgers final years - it's the combination of that along with the pick itself, i.e. Love's tape does not look good at all.

They just drafted him on pure speculation... b/c to date - he's not been very good.

The kid threw 17 picks last year!! Yikes, is the word that comes to mind.

It’s so crazy. It’s even crazier then Gary last year. Gute is gonna go down hard and fast. Mayhem in Green Bay sooner then later.

Freak Out
04-23-2020, 11:07 PM
Wow. Just got off a flight to see this. Lol

red
04-23-2020, 11:07 PM

i loved the rodgers pick

this feels more like last years pick, or the fucking harrell draft

Joemailman
04-23-2020, 11:08 PM
The reactions here are kind of funny. Trade Rodgers? Not now. The plan here would seem to be exactly what the plan was when they drafted Rodgers. How did that work out? Don't know how it will turn out, but the plan has worked before.

GB-Brandon
I’d rather have Hurts then Love. At least Hurst is a “Winner”.

Love is punk

mraynrand
You should have seen what people were saying about Tedford QBs in 2005.

Bretsky
Welcome to 3-13

You are going against my long term philosophy as a perrenial players loser.

Rodgers for many many years gets us right to 8 wins. We get a couple to few more each year to make the playoffs.

Then the lack of talent catches up to us and we get bounced. We didn't help our chances at all today.

And I'm not sure the 8 wins Rodgers would always get us to is accurate anymore.

But having an elite QB gets us to about 8 wins.

Rastak
From my perspective the Vikings got a WR and CB and some extra picks. No OL so we'll see what tomorrow night brings.

texaspackerbacker
04-23-2020, 11:09 PM
I felt the same way 16 years ago when we drafted Rodgers, and that turned out pretty good. I'd rather draft have Love than Tua. Apparently Love is excellent physically, great arm and mobile - it's just the damn interceptions. If the kid learns and becomes Rodgers-like in sitting behind him for 2, 3, 4, maybe 5 years, then this could turn out all right.

There are still plenty of good WRs including my guy Duvernay. I did not want an ILB. A first round O Lineman would have been risky. There probably was not a D Lineman they liked (and I have some hope for that FA pick up Willis).

It ain't the end of the world.

Bretsky
04-23-2020, 11:11 PM

Back when a guy who was once projected as the top player in the draft free fell because very few teams had a need for a QB and Rodgers Fell into our Lap

SO MANY differences

Freak Out
04-23-2020, 11:11 PM
I don't know fuck all about drafting players other than Sanders over Bulk every fucking day. I'm ok with this pick. I'm not even sure
Who was left of the board but we all know Arod is in his twilight years.

beveaux1
04-23-2020, 11:12 PM
How many rounds tonight? We’re back to the Bengals?

GB-Brandon
The reactions here are kind of funny. Trade Rodgers? Not now. The plan here would seem to be exactly what the plan was when they drafted Rodgers. How did that work out? Don't know how it will turn out, but the plan has worked before.

Love isn’t Rodgers and never will be. You will see. He is a pick machine at Utah State. He has already had issues legally. This is not the guy. I can’t believe it. Rodgers was expected to go possibly no.1 and dropped to us. Love is not in that category. He has major holes in his game.

Rodgers should be beside himself. To not give him any weapons after everything he has done for this franchise is just ugly. And for Love? OMG!!!! Total slap in the face. Welcome to the “Green Bay Browns”

You will see.

Deputy Nutz

yep, and 2005 the Packers ended up 4-12, so there is that

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2020, 11:13 PM
Another guy from The Draft Network:

Player Summary - Jordan Love has franchise quarterback qualities and should be regarded as a prospect with a Pro Bowl ceiling. Love's statistical regression in 2019 isn't indicative of a regression in skills or decision making — was a victim of poor supporting cast in many instances. Love will need patience and must go to a team with coaching staff able to nurture, develop and cater passing schemes to where he thrives. He isn't plug and play but he's a potential game changing QB.

Joemailman
04-23-2020, 11:14 PM
You should have seen what people were saying about Tedford QBs in 2005.

Rodgers didn't even know how to hold the damn ball.

mraynrand
04-23-2020, 11:14 PM

Well, if it wasn’t obvious, my point was the Overwhelming negative reaction to drafting a QB when the Packers had all sorts of need positions.

GB-Brandon
04-23-2020, 11:15 PM
Back when a guy who was once projected as the top player in the draft free fell because very few teams had a need for a QB and Rodgers Fell into our Lap

SO MANY differences

Yes, this is nothing like that. So many many differences. This is the end. It’s over.

Joemailman

Well, if Rodgers throws 29 INT's, they'll be 4-12 again.

mraynrand
Yes, this is nothing like that. So many many differences. This is the end. It’s over.

:)

Hang in there.

Bretsky
04-23-2020, 11:16 PM

I'm not sure that is a really a reaction; it's the reality of the NFL. Young QB's need to play sooner. You can load a shitload of talent with a good QB making a few million a year as opposed to 30Mil/Year when you have to let talent walk out the door.

Russell Wilson/Patrick Mahommes...perfect examples of winning a Super Bowl on the first contract. In today's cap world sitting a QB for three to four years rarely happen, and when do you remember a team trading a 1st round pick and a 4th round pick to "move" up and let him sit on the bench for three to four years.

Freak Out
Lol

HarveyWallbangers
CBS #19 overall prospect
ESPN #20 overall prospect
NFL Draft Scout - projected to go middle of 1st round

mraynrand
04-23-2020, 11:18 PM
I'm not sure that is a really a reaction; it's the reality of the NFL. Young QB's need to play sooner. You can load a shitload of talent with a good QB making a few million a year as opposed to 30Mil/Year when you have to let talent walk out the door.

Russell Wilson/Patrick Mahommes...perfect examples of winning a Super Bowl on the first contract. In today's cap world sitting a QB for three to four years rarely happen, and when do you remember a team trading a 1st round pick and a 4th round pick to "move" up and let him sit on the bench for three to four years.

Based on Rodgers recent history and the history of 36 year old QBs, Packers will be very fortunate if they don’t need Love to play significant minutes this year.

Teamcheez1
04-23-2020, 11:19 PM
Welcome to 3-13

It's way past your bedtime.

run pMc
04-23-2020, 11:20 PM
Don't like the pick. Think there was better value elsewhere and if they wanted a better backup than Tim Boyle they could find one outside Round 1. Rodgers has 4 years left and is basically untradable because of the cap hit.

mraynrand
04-23-2020, 11:20 PM
BTW, did anyone see Mike Vrabel? What was going on at his house?

GB-Brandon
04-23-2020, 11:22 PM
Boy, people are over exaggerating

Actually your getting ready to cheer on a LOSER!

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2020, 11:24 PM
We all know Rodgers has regressed over the last few years. What will he be like at 38? We can realistically cut him after 2021. We'd save $5M by cutting him after that year. Love would be starting his third year and we get the fifth year option. If Rodgers regresses or gets injured or Love really impresses, he could be the starting QB by 2022.

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2020, 11:25 PM
Don't like the pick. Think there was better value elsewhere and if they wanted a better backup than Tim Boyle they could find one outside Round 1. Rodgers has 4 years left and is basically untradable because of the cap hit.

Over the cap says we'd save $5M by cutting him after 2021, so we can get out from under his contract at that time.

GB-Brandon
04-23-2020, 11:25 PM
You guys aren’t getting it. Rodgers isn’t gonna respond well to this. He holds all the cards with his guaranteed contract. It’s already reported he is beyond pissed. This was not the time for this move and Love was not the right guy to do this with when the time was right.

This is gonna be a disaster. It’s gonna get real ugly.

mraynrand
04-23-2020, 11:26 PM
I have to confess that there were at least 3-4 other positions that I would have been happy to see upgraded. Worried about OT and obviously WR and LB. but I am sure they believe Burks can take over for Martinez.... (lol).

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2020, 11:26 PM

If Love is good and/or Rodgers further regresses or gets injured, Love will be starting by 2022.

GB-Brandon
04-23-2020, 11:28 PM
We basically gave it all away for Desean Kizer.

mraynrand
You guys aren’t getting it. Rodgers isn’t gonna respond well to this. He holds all the cards with his guaranteed contract. It’s already reported he is beyond pissed. This was not the time for this move and Love was not the right guy to do this with when the time was right.

This is gonna be a disaster. It’s gonna get real ugly.

If he’s really this big of a pussy, then maybe it’s time to move on sooner than later. Yes it likely will get ugly at some point. QBs typically don’t go out on a high note.

call_me_ishmael
If Love is good and/or Rodgers further regresses or gets injured, Love will be starting by 2022.

Yep. I think it's pretty telling that unless Love is a total bust, next year is ARod's last with the Packers.

Y'all citing that fake tweet know that was fake, right?

Teamcheez1
04-23-2020, 11:29 PM

Rodgers has two years left assuming he can stay healthy. If we didn't draft his replacement this year, we would have next year.

mraynrand
04-23-2020, 11:30 PM
We all know Rodgers has regressed over the last few years. What will he be like at 38? We can realistically cut him after 2021. We'd save $5M by cutting him after that year. Love would be starting his third year and we get the fifth year option. If Rodgers regresses or gets injured or Love really impresses, he could be the starting QB by 2022.

Harvey. Always the most sane voice.

mraynrand
04-23-2020, 11:31 PM
Yep. I think it's pretty telling that unless Love is a total bust, next year is ARod's last with the Packers.

Y'all citing that fake tweet know that was fake, right?

No way! Nobody ever fakes stuff like that!

:)

GB-Brandon
04-23-2020, 11:33 PM

He didn’t really have a chance with the scrubs they gave him. The only way I can see this making any sense is they know there won’t be a season in 2020 and Rodgers will be another year older with some rust built up. Still don’t like the pick. I watched Love a lot this past year and he wasn’t “Lovely” at all. He isn’t the guy so to me it’s a double waste and causes more damage then any good.

run pMc
04-23-2020, 11:33 PM
Based on Rodgers recent history and the history of 36 year old QBs, Packers will be very fortunate if they don’t need Love to play significant minutes this year.

You may be right there. Also, I agree they didn't pick Love to sit for 4 years. They must think Rodgers will be traded or a shell of himself before his contract is up.
<iframe src="https://overthecap.com/contract-embed/1085/" width="600" height="374" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Bretsky
04-23-2020, 11:37 PM

If you don't believe we're leaping by the San Francisco's and Minnesota's and the Saints of the world we should be finding him some playing time anyways

mraynrand
04-23-2020, 11:40 PM
If you don't believe we're leaping by the San Francisco's and Minnesota's and the Saints of the world we should be finding him some playing time anyways

I see no reason to think Packers aren’t better than the Viking or Saints rn.

GB-Brandon
If he’s really this big of a pussy, then maybe it’s time to move on sooner than later. Yes it likely will get ugly at some point. QBs typically don’t go out on a high note.

We basically just signed up for a total rebuild but whatever. 1 game from the Super Bowl with a few pieces missing to a total rebuild with one stupid pick on some pot head that threw 17 interceptions(29 in three years) at Utah State.

Rodgers has a total of 32 total going all the way back to 2014 IN THE NFL!!! That’s 6 NFL seasons.

So much fun!!!

red
Over the cap says we'd save $5M by cutting him after 2021, so we can get out from under his contract at that time.

i think you're reading that wrong. those numbers are for the 2021 season

so we would save 5 million but cutting or trading him after next year (2020), but still take a 31.5 million dollar cap hit

after the 2021 season, we can cut or trade him for a 17.2 million dollar cap hit, or 22 million in savings

you're just reading the years wrong, off by 1 year

2021 will probably be a-rods last season in green bay

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2020, 11:42 PM
To be honest, I don't like the pick. Love was a first round talent though. He's a better and different prospect than Kizer. My comparison for Love is Drew Lock--who had a promising rookie year with the Broncos. I thought the Packers could wait another year to draft the heir apparent, but it eventually had to happen. Maybe they thought this guy had too much upside to pass on. We can sit here in whine, but it's a waste of time. We won't know if this was the right move for a few years. There are still plenty of WRs, ILBs, and DL in this draft. There are some promising developmental OTs.

Maybe Higgins, Shenault, Pittman, Claypool, Edwards, or Van Jefferson will fall to us tomorrow. I have about about 10 intriguing DL still available (not many DL went in round 1). I think this is a pretty deep draft at ILB too. There are even some developmental OTs. We'll see what happens.

Smidgeon
04-23-2020, 11:43 PM
I haven't read the entire thread yet, but here's my speculation:

The Packers had a short list of players they would take at 30. With Reagor and Ayuik and Murray off the board and possibly Ruiz too (planning on not being able to pay all their FAs next year), Love might have been their last player in that tier. So they could trade up and get him or hope to trade back and get what they consider a lesser talent, or be stuck reaching for someone.

If they're right, it's a great move. If they're not, it's no different than reaching for a WR who doesn't pan out at the next level.

mraynrand
04-23-2020, 11:45 PM
We basically just signed up for a total rebuild but whatever. 1 game from the Super Bowl with a few pieces missing to a total rebuild with one stupid pick on some pot head that threw 17 interceptions(29 in three years) at Utah State.

So much fun!!!

Total rebuild? Why would you think that? It’s not like they don’t have more picks. And how many critical pieces did you think they would fill with the 30th pick anyway?

I’d say that based on recent history, backup QB and future starting QB are pretty critical positions.

call_me_ishmael
04-23-2020, 11:45 PM
Aaron and Brett.

https://twitter.com/datboywolf/status/1253532133102096384

Joemailman
04-23-2020, 11:46 PM

so we would save 5 million but cutting or trading him after next year (2020), but still take a 31.5 million dollar cap hit

after the 2021 season, we can cut or trade him for a 17.2 million dollar cap hit, or 22 million in savings

Right. And Love will have 3 years left on his contract assuming Packers pick up his option. What will probably bother Rodgers the most is that he likely won't finish his career in Green Bay unless he wants to retire after 2021.

call_me_ishmael
04-23-2020, 11:47 PM

You two are litreally saying the same thing.

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2020, 11:49 PM

Leaping by the Vikings? We went further than last year, and they've lost Diggs, Joseph, probably Griffen, and much of their secondary (okay, their CBs were terrible last year). Their draft is plugging holes from their offseason losses.

Lynch is a kick ass GM though. SF is trouble. Getting Kinlaw and Aiyuk is sick.

QBME
04-23-2020, 11:51 PM
I dunno, my draft/player expertise is based solely upon the name.
Love in the NFL?
Well, if anywhere it’s possible, it’s in Green Bay.

Bretsky
CBS #19 overall prospect
ESPN #20 overall prospect
NFL Draft Scout - projected to go middle of 1st round

Truth be told, a long time ag o I piimped Jordan love as having a lot of talent at the QB position; I never imagined GB would pick him (and gotta admit NFW would I gift a 4th round draft pick to move up for him) but he's very skilled

Watch his games as a Junior; he was a very good QB . Three OC's in three years. And nearly all of the offensive talent graduated after his Junior Season. Fast forward to his senior year. Talent the same

But his decision making sucked and it didn't appear the coaches were able to reel in some of his Favre like (bad decisions/forcing balls in that he shouldn't throw) tendencies.

It would not surprise me if he turns out to to a good to top half of the NFL type QB. The talent is there IMO. And maybe this turns out to be a good pick. I like the pick a hell of a lot more than last year's 12.

But I believed Rodgers was going to play for Green Bay and start for four more years. I also believed it was a no brainer to try to win now and maybe we can sneak out one more Super Bowl. There were some elite type players there when we were drafting and then we gave up a 4th and could you taken somebody who could have significantly improved our chances to win a Super Bowl in the next few years.

So to me kind of sacrificed the present for the future. It's worked, and failed before for many franchises.

I just had my hopes up for this year; but I'll just adjust my expectations. Maybe today will someday be a great decision for the Packers. But right now it seems like several teams got a lot better and we did not.

I'll stress this in today's NFL; it's important you develop your QB's fast and get them playing. If they gave up a valuable draft pick to move up and get him, he can't sit 3-4 years.

Good chance AROD will not be retiring a Packer. IMO this pick was just two years early

HarveyWallbangers
You two are litreally saying the same thing.

I know he's in a sour mood, so I didn't want to point that out. :)

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2020, 11:55 PM
It doesn't sound like Rodgers will pull a Favre.

Rodgers told ESPN Milwaukee radio last month that he was "realistic" concerning his future and wouldn't have an issue with the Packers drafting a quarterback.

"I know where we're at as an organization and where I'm at in my career," Rodgers said. "I still feel like I have a ton of years left playing at a high level. I'm confident enough. I've always felt like it doesn't matter who you bring in; they're not going be able to beat me out any time soon. I feel really confident about my abilities and my plays.

"We've drafted guys over the years. I think my first year starting we drafted two quarterbacks in 2008. We've drafted various guys over the years. I understand the business and the nature of it, obviously love to bring guys in that are going to be able to play and compete right away. I understand it's a business. I wouldn't have a problem."

Smidgeon
04-24-2020, 12:01 AM
They must really like him and also perhaps feel Rodgers is slipping.

This is the part that makes the most sense to me. I think they've been looking at QBs the last few years (Lock last year) and found one they really liked. We don't know if they'll be right, but we also knew Gute would draft someone at some point. They must have really liked Love.

call_me_ishmael
04-24-2020, 12:04 AM
I agree they must really like him, because there is a QB available in this spot that has some upsides and question marks every year.

GB-Brandon
04-24-2020, 12:04 AM
Total rebuild? Why would you think that? It’s not like they don’t have more picks. And how many critical pieces did you think they would fill with the 30th pick anyway?

I’d say that based on recent history, backup QB and future starting QB are pretty critical positions.

Because other teams are “Getting Better Now” and we’re going “Backwards”. The Niners were already better then us and after today they are way better. We got our ass beat on the field and tonight they kicked our ass on the draft board. Other teams are getting better too.

They could of done many things with the 30th pick. Mimms and Higgins we’re still on the board. Queen who would of filled a piece on Defense was on the board. They could of gotten aggressive and traded up to get Aiyuk and Reagor. The Niners traded way up and got aggressive. They could of traded back and got more ammunition tomorrow.

But noooooooooo! They not only drafted a QB but they traded up to do it. It’s a total FAIL. Unless Love turns into the next cornerstone of this franchise it’s a massive mistake. One that might take years to recover from. I give the grade a F and if I could go lower I would.

Everyone in the entire world knows we don’t have any weapons outside Devante Adams and for people to sit there and say Rodgers has regressed when his receivers are 3rd rate and can’t get open is ridiculous. Then you have the best WR draft in years and this is the shit you pull.

It’s completely dysfunctional. The Gary pick last year and now this. Gute SUCKS!!!!

Typical Packer draft where everyone is scratching there head and trying to sell themselves on the failure. Rodgers will no longer be there to save us and this isn’t even close to a Super Bowl roster without him. With the right weapons I believe he had a lot of game left.

It’s a total throw away. You just can’t make mistakes like this and compete for championships.

GB-Brandon
04-24-2020, 12:08 AM
You guys can sell yourselves on this bullshit all you want but this isn’t good.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2020, 12:09 AM
I've lived through David Whitehurst, Jim Zorn, Blair Kiel, and Randy Wright. If Love turns into a good starting QB, it's not a throwaway pick. The thing is we don't know if Love will be good, so I'm not going to waste too much negative energy worrying about it.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2020, 12:13 AM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/24/what-draft-analysts-said-about-new-packers-qb-jordan-love/

smuggler
04-24-2020, 12:13 AM
If it makes anyone else feel better, I feel exactly like I did about the Rodgers selection. Somewhat disappointed but optimistic. I was particularly sad we had to part with our pick to move up. It didn't seem the teams between 26 and 29 were really interested, but some team might have moved back into the end of the first. Who knows?

Perhaps they can pull some shit in round two top walk away with Mims, Pittman, or Josh Jones.

Bretsky
04-24-2020, 12:17 AM
What legal issues has he had in the past ? Curious if he's a good character.

GB-Brandon
04-24-2020, 12:17 AM
Truth be told, a long time ag o I piimped Jordan love as having a lot of talent at the QB position; I never imagined GB would pick him (and gotta admit NFW would I gift a 4th round draft pick to move up for him) but he's very skilled

Watch his games as a Junior; he was a very good QB . Three OC's in three years. And nearly all of the offensive talent graduated after his Junior Season. Fast forward to his senior year. Talent the same

But his decision making sucked and it didn't appear the coaches were able to reel in some of his Favre like (bad decisions/forcing balls in that he shouldn't throw) tendencies.

It would not surprise me if he turns out to to a good to top half of the NFL type QB. The talent is there IMO. And maybe this turns out to be a good pick. I like the pick a hell of a lot more than last year's 12.

But I believed Rodgers was going to play for Green Bay and start for four more years. I also believed it was a no brainer to try to win now and maybe we can sneak out one more Super Bowl. There were some elite type players there when we were drafting and then we gave up a 4th and could you taken somebody who could have significantly improved our chances to win a Super Bowl in the next few years.

So to me kind of sacrificed the present for the future. It's worked, and failed before for many franchises.

I just had my hopes up for this year; but I'll just adjust my expectations. Maybe today will someday be a great decision for the Packers. But right now it seems like several teams got a lot better and we did not.

I'll stress this in today's NFL; it's important you develop your QB's fast and get them playing. If they gave up a valuable draft pick to move up and get him, he can't sit 3-4 years.

Good chance AROD will not be retiring a Packer. IMO this pick was just two years early

Well said. The total rebuild starts sooner then later. None of it makes any sense though. Why go spend all that $ in free agency last year?

Not only was the time not right but I don’t believe the player chosen was either. This won’t be a happy ending IMO.

GB-Brandon
04-24-2020, 12:20 AM
What legal issues has he had in the past ? Curious if he's a good character.

https://localtvkstu.wordpress.com/2019/12/17/jordan-love-two-other-usu-football-players-charged-with-marijuana-possession/

He has RED FLAGS. Supposed attitude issues. Thinks he is gods gift. Not sure he is easily coached. It’s a Fucken Disaster.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2020, 01:27 AM
Saints take Cesar Ruiz.

Looking at my spreadsheet, I had the NFL comparison for Ruiz as Erik McCoy of the Saints (2nd round pick last year who started 16 games as a rookie). I guess we know what kind of interior OL the Saints like.

texaspackerbacker
04-24-2020, 01:31 AM
The talk of trading Rodgers is hysterical bullshit. Assuming Love has a 4 or 5 year rookie contract, crunch time will not come until then, just like when we had to choose between retaining Favre or giving Rodgers a second contract. If the kid becomes a disciple of Rodgers and learns to stop throwing interceptions by then, fine, keep him. BTW, I heard a significant portion of his 17 picks were balls tipped by his own receivers.

MadScientist
04-24-2020, 02:54 AM
The talk of trading Rodgers is hysterical bullshit. Assuming Love has a 4 or 5 year rookie contract, crunch time will not come until then, just like when we had to choose between retaining Favre or giving Rodgers a second contract. If the kid becomes a disciple of Rodgers and learns to stop throwing interceptions by then, fine, keep him. BTW, I heard a significant portion of his 17 picks were balls tipped by his own receivers.

The rookie contract is 5 years. The Packers made the Favre / Rodgers call after 3 years. By reading the cap Rodgers will be the guy likely for 2 years, although 3 is a possibility.

On the plus side for this year and next, Love may put that chip back on Rodgers' shoulder that has been missing the last few years with everyone telling him how great he is.

GB-Brandon
04-24-2020, 03:05 AM
No. This is a backfire move which is gonna be toxic for the Locker room. Gute jumped the gun and drafted a questionable candidate to replace him when he could of used that capital to help Rodgers with a desperately needed weapon. Based on some of Rodgers interviews he believed the Packers would give him some help and he was pretty excited.

I really don’t believe this is gonna give Rodgers some big chip on his shoulder to make him play better. Getting him some help would of helped him play well. And quite frankly, for a guy that has carried this franchise for years and made it relevant its just disgusting for Gute to do this at this place and time.

Also, this is not 2004 and where the teams were in comparison it is completely different. Also, Rodgers was a legit top 5 pick. Love is a fringe first round pick by some and farther back by others.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2020, 03:26 AM
https://youtu.be/ukzRoLkADLA[

GB-Brandon
04-24-2020, 03:42 AM
https://youtu.be/ukzRoLkADLA

Oh I see. So when Rodgers has to put the team on his back with limited weapons and talent around him and doesn’t play at a Michael Jordan Level he is regressing.

But when Jordan Love has to do it and throws 17 picks and gets arrested for Marijuana before his bowl game(where he got outplayed by Dustin Crum of Kent State) we should give him a pass? Fuck that!!! Sanchez is a bum too.

How many picks did Rodgers throw last year IN THE NFL playing in 18 games? with similar problems? This franchise no longer deserves Aaron Rodgers. It’s PATHETIC!

GB-Brandon
04-24-2020, 04:05 AM
The Packer organization has literally plundered a career of a generational talent with not much to show for it because of Ego, ignorance and a lack willingness(stubbornness) to get him legitimate weapons and necessary talent around him. This thing could of been so much more special.

People are gonna find out real quick what the 70’s were like. Everyone has been pacified by Aaron for quite some time now. If people think Jordan Love is the answer with way the Packers build a defense then there gonna be in for a lot of “L’s”

GB-Brandon
04-24-2020, 04:17 AM
And it’s too late but someone needs to tell Gute that as a general rule when your contending for a championship you don’t draft players in the 1st round just to park them on the bench to develop. They did it with Gary and now with Love.

You just can’t expect to win titles doing this. The league is just too competitive. You need these picks to come in and produce NOW! These are top tier guys. You have to get some production.

Your asking Rodgers to do the impossible.

oldbutnotdeadyet
04-24-2020, 04:40 AM
And it’s too late but someone needs to tell Gute that as a general rule when your contending for a championship you don’t draft players in the 1st round just to park them on the bench to develop. They did it with Gary and now with Love.

You just can’t expect to win titles doing this. The league is just too competitive. You need these picks to come in and produce NOW! These are top tier guys. You have to get some production.

Your asking Rodgers to do the impossible.

So, GB-Brandon, how do you feel about this pick in general? :)

But I tend to agree, wrong place, wrong time, wrong guy. I hope I am wrong.

mraynrand
04-24-2020, 06:19 AM
Because other teams are “Getting Better Now” and we’re going “Backwards”. The Niners were already better then us and after today they are way better. We got our ass beat on the field and tonight they kicked our ass on the draft board. Other teams are getting better too.

They could of done many things with the 30th pick. Mimms and Higgins we’re still on the board. Queen who would of filled a piece on Defense was on the board. They could of gotten aggressive and traded up to get Aiyuk and Reagor. The Niners traded way up and got aggressive. They could of traded back and got more ammunition tomorrow.

But noooooooooo! They not only drafted a QB but they traded up to do it. It’s a total FAIL. Unless Love turns into the next cornerstone of this franchise it’s a massive mistake. One that might take years to recover from. I give the grade a F and if I could go lower I would.

Everyone in the entire world knows we don’t have any weapons outside Devante Adams and for people to sit there and say Rodgers has regressed when his receivers are 3rd rate and can’t get open is ridiculous. Then you have the best WR draft in years and this is the shit you pull.

It’s completely dysfunctional. The Gary pick last year and now this. Gute SUCKS!!!!

Typical Packer draft where everyone is scratching there head and trying to sell themselves on the failure. Rodgers will no longer be there to save us and this isn’t even close to a Super Bowl roster without him. With the right weapons I believe he had a lot of game left.

It’s a total throw away. You just can’t make mistakes like this and compete for championships.

I enjoyed reading this. :).

Fosco33
04-24-2020, 07:03 AM
We had so many glaring ‘win now’ needs. I’m still perplexed by this move.

Bossman641
04-24-2020, 07:31 AM
I just don't see the way we end up extracting a ton of value from this pick. The whole point of having a rookie qb is to have a cheap contract there and open a window to spend elsewhere. Assuming Rodgers is gone after 2 years, we take a 30 million cap hit and have 3 years of Love cheap. More realistically, 3 more years of Rodgers and Love cheap for 2 years. Regardless of how long he sits his first year starting will be a learning experience and most likely not championship caliber. So 1 or 2 years of having a cheap qb.

mraynrand
04-24-2020, 07:50 AM
If he’s the next franchise pro bowl level QB, it’s a great pick.

Even if he’s just a really solid backup it’s likely a valuable pick given that they’ll likely have to play him the next several years.

If he plays like Kizer or Hundley then yes it’s a bad no value pick.

pbmax
04-24-2020, 07:55 AM
I know I will be lashed out at and considered a troll but just relaying what I see.....

lan Rapoport
@UltraToughScene
Sources close to #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers say he is "beside himself" about the team's decision to draft a QB in the 1st round. "Aaron feels betrayed, he was told by management they would get him some weapons to throw to."

Trouble brewing in Packerland.

That is a troll account Ras, if the @UltraToughScene name is accurate.

pbmax
04-24-2020, 07:58 AM
The more experienced scout (Marino) from The Draft Network--as opposed to Solak from an earlier part.

The work on accuracy part is what worries me.

pbmax
04-24-2020, 08:01 AM

Bretsky, all young QBs played early then because they were going to terrible teams. There wasn't perhaps the same cap pressure, but they almost all started.

The two notable exceptions were Rodgers (3 years) and Mahomes (1 year) to get time to adjust.

Packers4Glory
04-24-2020, 08:04 AM
this is nothing more than having players they thought they would get at 30 already taken off the board. So there is this supremely talented QB still sitting there with physical traits and mechanics that need little work. This guy is a possible franchise QB. He needs some work on reading defenses. So you take this formula you already had with Favre/Rodgers and apply it here. Love is going to sit for 3 years unless there's an injury..oh yeah about injuries. If Rodgers gets hurt this team was toast. No real talent behind him. Now if you can get thru a season, 2021 Love will be in a better spot to step in if something happens and maybe you have a real shot at still staying in the playoff race.

the issue is we are in a short window and this is the 2nd year we've taken a project player in the 1st that isn't going to play or play much on a team that needs to win now before one of the best ever really slips.

pbmax
04-24-2020, 08:06 AM

Same thing as with Captain Retirement.

They obviously needed a QB, if for no other reason that a decent backup alternative, but I wasn't looking for this one in the first round.

pbmax
04-24-2020, 08:08 AM
The true irony, I think even better than Favre/Rodgers, is this:

Jordan Love was dismissed in a lot of circles because of his 2019 year. He defenders say he was not given any weapons.

Rodgers is now being projected to be declining. His defenders point out that his receiving corp is missing weapons.

pbmax
04-24-2020, 08:10 AM
To be honest, I don't like the pick. Love was a first round talent though. He's a better and different prospect than Kizer. My comparison for Love is Drew Lock--who had a promising rookie year with the Broncos. I thought the Packers could wait another year to draft the heir apparent, but it eventually had to happen. Maybe they thought this guy had too much upside to pass on. We can sit here in whine, but it's a waste of time. We won't know if this was the right move for a few years. There are still plenty of WRs, ILBs, and DL in this draft. There are some promising developmental OTs.

There are multiple reports that Gute was taking Lock last year until the Broncos jumped in front of them.

pbmax
04-24-2020, 08:19 AM
The rookie contract is 5 years. The Packers made the Favre / Rodgers call after 3 years. By reading the cap Rodgers will be the guy likely for 2 years, although 3 is a possibility.

On the plus side for this year and next, Love may put that chip back on Rodgers' shoulder that has been missing the last few years with everyone telling him how great he is.

I think you could argue that Brett made it after year three, but I hear you.

pbmax
04-24-2020, 08:22 AM
We had so many glaring ‘win now’ needs. I’m still perplexed by this move.

Last year it worked out OK because they got Jenkins instead of Lock.

This year I am hoping it works out because the draft is deep in WR.

But perplexed is the right word.

MadtownPacker
04-24-2020, 08:22 AM
I think you could argue that Brett made it after year three, but I hear you.Cruel irony is pointing straight at Rodgers going out the same way. Maybe he leaves to the bears though. :lol:

Guiness
04-24-2020, 08:26 AM
Basically Gute and Lafleur saying Rodgers isn't capable of leading a team to a SB anymore. The balls to say we are going to not only use a first rounder but trade up to get a guy than in no way helps our current roster, to be his replacement. Wow. I'm just dumbfounded. If I'm Aaron I'm trying to figure any way to get the fuck out of GB.

Or you could subscribe to the belief that the second most important player on the team is the back up quarterback.

With a 17 game season coming and short weeks because of Thursday games I think that's more true than ever.

pbmax
04-24-2020, 08:26 AM
I just don't see the way we end up extracting a ton of value from this pick. The whole point of having a rookie qb is to have a cheap contract there and open a window to spend elsewhere. Assuming Rodgers is gone after 2 years, we take a 30 million cap hit and have 3 years of Love cheap. More realistically, 3 more years of Rodgers and Love cheap for 2 years. Regardless of how long he sits his first year starting will be a learning experience and most likely not championship caliber. So 1 or 2 years of having a cheap qb.

Love won't be as expensive as a decent vet QB backup. So he saves money there. The cap next year is going to very difficult if they have to postpone or cancel games, but the future of ARod's deal is that it gets less expensive compared to a burgeoning cap. Its not the worst timing for paying two guys who can play (hopefully).

But you are right, they won't get the tank/tons of cap space benefit of a rookie starter.

pbmax
04-24-2020, 08:29 AM
Cruel irony is pointing straight at Rodgers going out the same way. Maybe he leaves to the bears though. :lol:

Maybe. And they are much more alike than it appears on the surface (most elite well paid athletes probably are). But I don't think he wants that drama.

Bretsky
04-24-2020, 08:34 AM
Last year it worked out OK because they got Jenkins instead of Lock.

This year I am hoping it works out because the draft is deep in WR.

But perplexed is the right word.

We passed on huge talent at ILB; maybe we don't care about our ILB talent but it's been horrid for a while.

And the WR's at 60 will be very different.

SO HEY, Let's trade up in round 2, give up our 3rd, and draft a CB or Safety for Insurance

jmbarnes101
04-24-2020, 08:35 AM
After having a night to sit and digest I think this pick, while not at all what I was hoping for, is going to work out. Rodgers is getting older and has been hurt over the past couple years. Every time that happens we have paid for not having an actual competent backup QB. Now we have what we hope will be not just a great backup QB but will hopefully become a true #1 QB after Rodgers leaves. To do that you sometimes have to take a chance. In fact this pick reminds me of the 2017 draft and what happened with pick number 10. Go read the comments about that pick, holy cats they were off, and most hated that pick. That pick of course was Patrick Mahomes and we all know what he’s done since then.

No, I don’t think this pick is disastrous like last years picking of our project or the 2017 miss in taking Kenny King over TJ Watt. We have a guy who needs some development but also has what according to “experts” are some fantastic tools and a potential pro bowl guy if given time to learn his craft. He should hopefully have that time and if he doesn’t we are more prepared now to not roll over and play dead if Aaron should get hurt again. Until proven we shouldn’t I’m going to trust that their was logic and forethought with this pick and have faith they know what they are doing. Now let’s focus our attention on 2 weapons available to help this team in the here and now.

Packers4Glory
04-24-2020, 08:39 AM
We passed on huge talent at ILB; maybe we don't care about our ILB talent but it's been horrid for a while.

And the WR's at 60 will be very different.

SO HEY, Let's trade up in round 2, give up our 3rd, and draft a CB or Safety for Insurance

no. trade up and get a WR. it has to happen. ILB isn't that important. we barely run base 3-4 anyway. getting a decent DL built would be more beneficial.

also trade TB and get Howard. close that loop.

Guiness
04-24-2020, 11:47 AM
So, GB-Brandon, how do you feel about this pick in general? :)

But I tend to agree, wrong place, wrong time, wrong guy. I hope I am wrong.

Heh - still not dead I guess. Maybe dead wrong is all! :-)

I'm a strong believer in having a QB learn the position and if this kid works out, we'll all be pretty happy about the pick a few years from now.
Having a solid backup that can run the scout team for the defence as well as coming in for Rodgers if is a great thing to have. We can't know for sure, but I think Boyle was pretty limited.

Bretsky
04-24-2020, 12:32 PM
There are multiple reports that Gute was taking Lock last year until the Broncos jumped in front of them.

I HEARD THIS FROM A FEW SOURCES; PACKER BEAT WRITER GUYS

Maybe Goooters doesn't like AROD

Maybe he just wants his own guy

Cheesehead Craig
04-24-2020, 12:33 PM
Relax, they aren't taking a WR.

See, like i said they weren't taking a WR. Oh, did you think I was talking about SF? I was talking about GB. All hail the Oracle!

pbmax
04-24-2020, 12:38 PM
I HEARD THIS FROM A FEW SOURCES; PACKER BEAT WRITER GUYS

Maybe Goooters doesn't like AROD

Maybe he just wants his own guy

LINKS!

mraynrand
04-24-2020, 12:45 PM
Having a solid backup that can run the scout team for the defense...

I think he should audible all plays to runs

pbmax
04-24-2020, 12:46 PM
I think he should audible all plays to runs

At least we will finally get new rumors about Rodgers mind-set. Frankly I am tired of the only concerned about his stats takes.

GB-Brandon
04-24-2020, 12:46 PM
The true irony, I think even better than Favre/Rodgers, is this:

Jordan Love was dismissed in a lot of circles because of his 2019 year. He defenders say he was not given any weapons.

Rodgers is now being projected to be declining. His defenders point out that his receiving corp is missing weapons.

Add that both had first year OC’s. The bottom line is Rodgers still remained in the top echelon of NFL QB’s. Made some “Big Boy Throws” in a playoff game(Seattle).

Love on the other hand looked horrible at Utah State against Mountain West competition. Was supposed to “show out” in his big bowl game against the “Dominant Kent State” and played inconsistent all game long.

Bretsky
04-24-2020, 01:07 PM
LINKS!

LInks for what, the ESPN stations where they were getting interviewed ?

pbmax
04-24-2020, 01:31 PM
LInks for what, the ESPN stations where they were getting interviewed ?

Yes. If you tell us which show, we can get the podcast version. But mainly, who was speculating what?

RashanGary
04-24-2020, 01:44 PM
Or you could subscribe to the belief that the second most important player on the team is the back up quarterback.

With a 17 game season coming and short weeks because of Thursday games I think that's more true than ever.

Absolutely. Rodgers is great. Still. You hate to ruin a window year by him missing 8 games.

Also, football is a game of preparation. The toughest teams to play have mobile QBs who can throw. Our scout team is run by that now. If love is good, he'll sharpen the defense in practice.

Also, Rodgers is 36 and declining. That alone could make this worth it.

It's not a bad pick if they're right . But gutey is showing to be aggressive in the sense that he'll draft projects. Let's hope he knows what he's doing there

pbmax
04-24-2020, 01:52 PM
Even if you don't use Twitter, you should follow these guys. Almost more fun than tex.

The Packer Ranter @PackerRanter

NFC North QB ranking:

1) Aaron Rodgers

2) Matt Stafford

3) Jordan Love

4)

Bretsky
04-24-2020, 01:58 PM
Yes. If you tell us which show, we can get the podcast version. But mainly, who was speculating what?

OOPS; should have been more specific; but I heard this last year. ESPN 1070 Packer Beat Writer...commended Packers very high on Locke and had they stayed pat his understanding was they were taking him. But it was speculation. Just makes me wonder if GOOOTTSS wants his own guy.

Jerry Krause II ????????????????? LOL

smuggler
04-24-2020, 02:05 PM
If Cousins had any semblance of pocket presence, he'd be above Stafford. And if shits had wings they could fly.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2020, 02:29 PM
The toughest teams to play have mobile QBs who can throw. Our scout team is run by that now. If love is good, he'll sharpen the defense in practice

It will make little difference. Wasn't athletic Manny Wilkins on the team to run the scout team last year?

HarveyWallbangers
10-31-2021, 11:40 AM
DEAR GOOTER

TRADE WITH SEATTLE

JUMP the NINERS

PATRICK QUEEN

Just read an article on Queen. He’s played so poorly that the Ravens moved him to OLB and he’s playing less than half the snaps. Journeyman Josh Bynes and former NDSU UDFA Chris Board are taking the ILB snaps.