PDA

View Full Version : What’s your early take on Jordan Love?

Pages : 1 [2]

Rastak
04-26-2020, 02:49 PM
Tedious? Every main sports news talk show is talking about this. So were supposed to act like what’s there isn’t really there?

At the grave risk of sticking my nose where it doesn't belong. This is kinda like my wife and Donald Trump. She has stated 300,000 times how much she hates him, which was 299,999 too many because my hearing is degraded but works. I got it the first fucking time my dear. Shut the fuck up already lady. I even agree with her despite being a life long republican but eventually beating the dead horse over and over and over is strictly annoying rather than informative.

LEWCWA
04-26-2020, 02:51 PM
Best case scenario is ESB steps up, Gary and Keke develop into starters, and Burks finally figures out how to play football.

If those things happen, we can maybe contend next year. If not?? We're looking at 2024 at the earliest.

I think you have to make those assumptions with the young WR's. We might not see it, but they have used draft capitol on them and I assume they think they are talented enough to make strides. Who would've thought DD was going to turn out like he did. These guys have to produce and why should we think they can't! With Funchess on board, I just think they have a bunch of WR's and 3 going into big leap years for that pos. if esb or mvs don't show up we can complain, but I think they will! Drink some Kool-aide would ya!

LEWCWA
04-26-2020, 02:53 PM
Everything I see says we had one of if not the worst draft in the league.....I like that!

Rastak
04-26-2020, 02:54 PM
Everything I see says we had one of if not the worst draft in the league.....I like that!

Me too!

LEWCWA
04-26-2020, 02:59 PM
Me too!

Not what I meant, but funny!

Rastak
04-26-2020, 03:07 PM
Not what I meant, but funny!

Just messing with you. In know what you meant. The pundits are reaming you guys though. PFF gave the Vikings an A and the Packers a D....which I suppose is the kiss of death for my favorite team.

George Cumby
04-26-2020, 04:52 PM

I'm with you.

Remember TT's prime years when we'd all be asking who these MFers were? Remember the shit grades he's get?

Next thing you know were cooking up the Barney Fuckdoggle award because the roster was so deep. I remind everyone, that "Barney Fuckdoggle" was a phrased coined by a Bears Fan who was lamenting the quality and depth of our roster.

The question remains, is Gutey channeling Prime Ted or Poor Ted?

Zool
04-26-2020, 05:10 PM
Tedious? Every main sports news talk show is talking about this. So were supposed to act like what’s there isn’t really there?

He’s referring to you.

Zool
04-26-2020, 05:10 PM
Best case scenario is ESB steps up, Gary and Keke develop into starters, and Burks finally figures out how to play football.

If those things happen, we can maybe contend next year. If not?? We're looking at 2024 at the earliest.

Which Smith gets replaced by Gary?

Edit, Burks will probably not learn how to play football. He always looks lost.

wist43
04-26-2020, 05:50 PM
Which Smith gets replaced by Gary?

Edit, Burks will probably not learn how to play football. He always looks lost.

Both Smiths are under contract for the next 2 years, so I expect we can be multiple with all 3 on the field together 75% of the time.

In the big picture it doesn't matter though b/c we aren't going to contend for a while, so Gary is the only one of those 3 that matters in the long run. Both Smith brothers and Amos will be gone after the 2022 season, so the only guys on defense that matter are Gary, Keke, Burks, Savage, and Alexander. Everyone else will be churned out by then.

But I dont think Burks can play at all, so the other 4 will be the core guys we need to try and build around.

wist43
04-26-2020, 06:02 PM
I'm with you.

Remember TT's prime years when we'd all be asking who these MFers were? Remember the shit grades he's get?

Next thing you know were cooking up the Barney Fuckdoggle award because the roster was so deep. I remind everyone, that "Barney Fuckdoggle" was a phrased coined by a Bears Fan who was lamenting the quality and depth of our roster.

The question remains, is Gutey channeling Prime Ted or Poor Ted?

Channeling any part of Ted and his philosophy is a bad thing.

Ted's philosophy was seriously flawed, and that is reflected in the fact that, despite having a HOF QB under center for 13 years, he only won one SB.

In the mean time, how many SB's was Brady winning??

And for the record, I think Rodgers is better than Brady all day long.

Ted's philosophy builds 9-7/10-6 teams... if strictly adhered to - like this year by Gute?? The team will remain stuck there b/c of philosophical stubbornness.

This draft is a sad reminder of just how flawed Ted's philosophy is. I was hoping Gute was not a doctrinaire disciple, but apparently he is.

GB-Brandon
04-26-2020, 06:03 PM
He’s referring to you.

Well, unfortunately I believe that the Packers punting(who i believe is the most talented QB of all time) Aaron Rodgers to be big news.

Zool
04-26-2020, 06:08 PM
Well, unfortunately I believe that the Packers punting(who i believe is the most talented QB of all time) Aaron Rodgers to be big news.

We know. You’ve said it in every thread multiple times per page.

Vincenzo
04-26-2020, 06:33 PM
Mel Kiper named the Packers’ selection of Jordan Love and their refusal to take a wide receiver as his most “head scratching” pick of the 2020 draft.

“I got one big one,” Kiper said when asked to name his ‘head scratching’ pick. “I understand Aaron Rodgers, you figure let’s get the heir apparent in Jordan Love, but then not to take a wide receiver…in a historically deep wide receiver class, pretty amazing.”

Teamcheez1
04-26-2020, 06:43 PM
Rodgers is now older than Favre when he was originally drafted to replace Favre. I honestly think Rodgers only has a couple of good years left. 3 or 4 years was more of a pipe dream. Love needs a couple of years to get ready.

GB-Brandon
04-26-2020, 06:47 PM
Mel Kiper named the Packers’ selection of Jordan Love and their refusal to take a wide receiver as his most “head scratching” pick of the 2020 draft.

“I got one big one,” Kiper said when asked to name his ‘head scratching’ pick. “I understand Aaron Rodgers, you figure let’s get the heir apparent in Jordan Love, but then not to take a wide receiver…in a historically deep wide receiver class, pretty amazing.”

This is why I don’t expect him back. Gute probably could of kept it together if he drafts mims or maybe a couple of other guys later but too just ignore the entire position group is like pouring salt in the wound too AR12.

GB-Brandon
04-26-2020, 06:52 PM
Rodgers is now older than Favre when he was originally drafted to replace Favre. I honestly think Rodgers only has a couple of good years left. 3 or 4 years was more of a pipe dream. Love needs a couple of years to get ready.

That’s all well and good but what makes you think Rodgers wants to just ho hum around on a rebuilding team that isn’t even really a contender for two years as they groom Jordan Love?

Rodgers strikes me as being just too much of a competitor.

Teamcheez1
04-26-2020, 06:56 PM
That’s all well and good but what makes you think Rodgers wants to just ho hum around on a rebuilding team that isn’t even really a contender for two years as they groom Jordan Love?

Rodgers strikes me as being just too much of a competitor.

You may be right, but Rodgers contract is cost prohibitive for a trade for at least a couple of years unless we get a boatload of draft picks in return or he is willing to restructure prior to the trade. Tampa Bay should be looking for another aging superstar by that time.

Spaulding
04-26-2020, 07:08 PM
Whose to say this doesn't light a fire under him. Correct me if I'm wrong but his last two years haven't been traditional "Rodgersesque" have they? Either due to injuries, holding the ball too long, unwillingness to take a chances, he hasn't been the same player he was for the first ten years. He's still a top ten QB but many now don't believe he's elite and if that holds true, how soon does his true drop off commence?

Gute may have had Love as a top ten pick and possibly the 2nd highest rated QB in this years draft (right or wrong). Seeing him available late in the first round meant he thought it was a value and BPA pick. Time will tell if this was the correct move or not. If Rodgers play drops off this year and continues into the following season where's just then an average starter then this pick might look like gold. Or if Rodgers goes down with another injury, having a legitimate backup to fill in a few games might save a season.

Three years will likely tell us the value of this draft. For every pick there's a counter argument on what it potentially does for the roster. For the crying on need for WR's, maybe they've seen enough in practice from flashes from ESB and MVS to think they are close enough to getting it versus a new highly drafted rookie receiver.

Wasn't it only a few years ago that little to nothing of rookie receivers was expected and that it wasn't until year 2 or 3 that they might start to show that they were capable? If so that doesn't do Rodgers any good anyways at as he moves towards 40.

Throw back a few (or full case if you need to fully sedate) and see where this leads. I don't think anybody saw a 13-3 season last year and it was awesome ride. Lack of injuries, scheduling benefits and peaking at the right time gives most teams a chance that are otherwise .500 (see Packers of 2011) and enjoy the ride.

Bretsky
04-26-2020, 07:53 PM
I would agree the last two years of play has been less than Rodgersesque. But part of that is when the following happens.

Rodgers back to pass.......nobody open
Rodgers steps up in the pocket...nobody still open
Rodgers rolls out...tick tick ....nobody still open

We haven't had the WR talent back there to be consistent, IMO

texaspackerbacker
04-26-2020, 08:17 PM
So what happens next? Rodgers takes off and runs for a first down or Rodgers throws it away. Love damn well better learn his lessons well and do the same. The piss ants who would have either of them put it up for grabs can eat shit.

It would be nice to have our receivers get open and this scenario happen less, though.

sharpe1027
04-26-2020, 08:18 PM
I would agree the last two years of play has been less than Rodgersesque. But part of that is when the following happens.

Rodgers back to pass.......nobody open
Rodgers steps up in the pocket...nobody still open
Rodgers rolls out...tick tick ....nobody still open

We haven't had the WR talent back there to be consistent, IMO

Part if it is also Rodgers either not seeing the open receiver or just not pulling the trigger. His accuracy was not great last year. Maybe he's compensating by being even more cautious? I don't know, but it'ss not fair to out all of Rodgers poor play on the receivers.

sharpe1027
04-26-2020, 08:21 PM
So what happens next? Rodgers takes off and runs for a first down or Rodgers throws it away. Love damn well better learn his lessons well and do the same. The piss ants who would have either of them put it up for grabs can eat shit.

It would be nice to have our receivers get open and this scenario happen less, though.

There's a point that holding the ball is worse than making the throw. Every single throw is a risk. Nobody wants him to throw it up for grabs, but being a little more aggressive might do more good than harm. Favre was way more aggressive all through his career and he was outstanding until the end of his career.

pbmax
04-26-2020, 08:26 PM
There's a point that holding the ball is worse than making the throw. Every single throw is a risk. Nobody wants him to throw it up for grabs, but being a little more aggressive might do more good than harm. Favre was way more aggressive all through his career and he was outstanding until the end of his career.

Ah, he has a couple of not outstanding seasons mixed in. Aggressiveness doesn't cure talent problems. He had a horrible year in 2005 and his last season was no great shakes.

pbmax
04-26-2020, 08:27 PM
Part if it is also Rodgers either not seeing the open receiver or just not pulling the trigger. His accuracy was not great last year. Maybe he's compensating by being even more cautious? I don't know, but it'ss not fair to out all of Rodgers poor play on the receivers.

Its definitely both. But the receiver drop off has been very large compared to the QB drop off in my opinion.

He wants to trust each receiver to make predictable adjustments before regularly throwing them contested balls. More so than in the offense's heyday, the number or targets he trusts is low. Several for good reasons.

texaspackerbacker
04-26-2020, 08:28 PM

Keep telling yourself that shit. What sets Rodgers apart from every other QB now and pretty much in history is his good judgment not to do stupid crap like you and some others seem to crave. 13-3 with a mediocre supporting cast says it all.

GB-Brandon
04-26-2020, 08:34 PM
It’s give and take. Rodgers threw for 4000 yards with only 4 interceptions. That’s huge. The Packers were in a a lot of close games last year too. Would you rather have a few more highlight reel plays or double digit interceptions and probably not winning 13 games.

I get that everyone wants Aaron Rodgers to play at this “all time elite level” and make below average receivers look like Jerry Rice but those days are gone. However, he can still be a top QB in this league and compete for MVP’s but that entails getting him more to work with in the passing game then he currently has.

sharpe1027
04-26-2020, 08:51 PM
Keep telling yourself that shit. What sets Rodgers apart from every other QB now and pretty much in history is his good judgment not to do stupid crap like you and some others seem to crave. 13-3 with a mediocre supporting cast says it all.

I agree that's part of what sets him apart. I don't want him to do stupid crap. I do want him to find the open receiver a few more times a game.

sharpe1027
04-26-2020, 08:56 PM
It’s give and take. Rodgers threw for 4000 yards with only 4 interceptions. That’s huge. The Packers were in a a lot of close games last year too. Would you rather have a few more highlight reel plays or double digit interceptions and probably not winning 13 games.

I get that everyone wants Aaron Rodgers to play at this “all time elite level” and make below average receivers look like Jerry Rice but those days are gone. However, he can still be a top QB in this league and compete for MVP’s but that entails getting him more to work with in the passing game then he currently has.

Well, if that's my only two options, I'll take 13-3. Funny how that works when you intentionally picked a bad option to compare to the option you want me to pick.

I don't believe Rodgers played up to his potential, even at this age. I don't disagree that the receivers were a large part of the problem. I do disagree that was enough to give Rodgers a pass on his play.

sharpe1027
04-26-2020, 09:02 PM
Its definitely both. But the receiver drop off has been very large compared to the QB drop off in my opinion.

He wants to trust each receiver to make predictable adjustments before regularly throwing them contested balls. More so than in the offense's heyday, the number or targets he trusts is low. Several for good reasons.

I can't agree that the appropriate response to a few mistakes is to stop throwing the ball to certain players. If what you say is true, you don't think other teams took advantage of that? Who is to blame?

George Cumby
04-26-2020, 09:03 PM
Channeling any part of Ted and his philosophy is a bad thing. Disagree, generally, draft and develop is sound. Granted, Ted didn't use FA as aggressively as he should have, but this is hindsight.

Ted's philosophy was seriously flawed, and that is reflected in the fact that, despite having a HOF QB under center for 13 years, he only won one SB. Same for Ron Wolf.

In the mean time, how many SB's was Brady winning?? With the greatest/cheatingest coach of all time. Apples and oranges.

And for the record, I think Rodgers is better than Brady all day long. Agreed.

Ted's philosophy builds 9-7/10-6 teams... if strictly adhered to - like this year by Gute?? The team will remain stuck there b/c of philosophical stubbornness. What was the Packers average W/L during Ted's tenure? Better than 9-7/10-6, iirc.

This draft is a sad reminder of just how flawed Ted's philosophy is. I was hoping Gute was not a doctrinaire disciple, but apparently he is..

IDK. I don't know if I could articulate what Gutes philosophy is right now, the data isn't there. Just based on his aggressive F/A usage, I'd say he's not following Ted's Dogma. And I'm not sold on Gutes or this draft, BTW, it's just too early to say, IMO.

sharpe1027
04-26-2020, 09:08 PM

I do agree the WR is more of the problem than Rodgers, but I read some of the posts as making excuses and a free pass.

GB-Brandon
04-26-2020, 09:08 PM
The nail in the coffin wasn’t Rodgers play. It was Gute/Flower turning a sports car into a 4 by 4 truck.

They were supposed to come in and restore the sports car and get the right new parts. Not lift it up in the air and put big tires on it with some sup’d up muffler.

ThunderDan
04-26-2020, 09:48 PM
The nail in the coffin wasn’t Rodgers play. It was Gute/Flower turning a sports car into a 4 by 4 truck.

They were supposed to come in and restore the sports car and get the right new parts. Not lift it up in the air and put big tires on it with some sup’d up muffler.

You forgot the truck nuts.

pbmax
04-27-2020, 08:02 AM
I can't agree that the appropriate response to a few mistakes is to stop throwing the ball to certain players. If what you say is true, you don't think other teams took advantage of that? Who is to blame?

I am not sure there is a fix. Brady did the same thing to Hoody in New England. Brady wanted better talent at WR too.

Ideally, you have a lot of long conversations and win him to your side.

Instead, the Packers are dong what they did with Favre, not talking to him much and just waiting to see what he does.

mraynrand
04-27-2020, 09:00 AM
Instead, the Packers are dong what they did with Favre, not talking to him much and just waiting to see what he does.

Maybe they did talk to him? Like, right after the draft? If not, they openly said they missed on the receivers they wanted. They basically threw the new guys under the bus - probably at least a little for Rodger's sake.

GB-Brandon
04-27-2020, 12:14 PM
Let’s please quit acting like all we did was draft a back up QB that provides future upside too.

The whole draft was slanted towards Rodgers not having a chance to excel other then “3 yards and a cloud of dust”

This is the type is shit you do when you have Blake Bortles and an Elite Defense.

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2020, 12:55 PM
No, it was slanted toward the idea - rightly or wrongly - that we really didn't have that many immediate needs. The status quo brought us 13-3 last season. The negativists and panic mongers seem to think that was an aberration and can't happen again. Gutekunst, LaFleur, etc. seem to think it can. The more I read about Love, Dillon, and most of the lower picks, the more it seems like we got good players, just players we didn't need in the short term. We'll see if they got it right.

pbmax
04-27-2020, 12:56 PM
Maybe they did talk to him? Like, right after the draft? If not, they openly said they missed on the receivers they wanted. They basically threw the new guys under the bus - probably at least a little for Rodger's sake.

Gute said after Round 1 they had not spoken. Not sure about since then.

GB-Brandon
04-27-2020, 02:35 PM
No, it was slanted toward the idea - rightly or wrongly - that we really didn't have that many immediate needs. The status quo brought us 13-3 last season. The negativists and panic mongers seem to think that was an aberration and can't happen again. Gutekunst, LaFleur, etc. seem to think it can. The more I read about Love, Dillon, and most of the lower picks, the more it seems like we got good players, just players we didn't need in the short term. We'll see if they got it right.

What do you think the odds are of having the same luck with injuries this year?

I don’t think the percentages are in are favor.

I’m starting to like some of these picks too. Dillon was a guy i wanted. Gute needs to go get another receiver.

Is Paul Richardson still available anyone?

bobblehead
04-27-2020, 02:51 PM
Let’s please quit acting like all we did was draft a back up QB that provides future upside too.

The whole draft was slanted towards Rodgers not having a chance to excel other then “3 yards and a cloud of dust”

This is the type is shit you do when you have Blake Bortles and an Elite Defense.

I mean...I have suggested signing Bortles to a cheap deal as the QB after Rodgers.

bobblehead
04-27-2020, 02:52 PM
Gute said after Round 1 they had not spoken. Not sure about since then.

Rodgers stopped answering his calls...

GB-Brandon
04-27-2020, 03:03 PM
Here is the vision on “Love” lol

Best scenario they drafted a Patrick Mahommes type talent and in there mind worse case scenario with development they get a Jimmie Garapalo type QB on a rookie deal with 5th year option.

So they felt like they couldn’t pass it up. Time will tell.

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2020, 03:13 PM
I am not sure there is a fix. Brady did the same thing to Hoody in New England. Brady wanted better talent at WR too.

Favre just about begged Thompson to pick up Randy Moss in 2007, and Thompson called Moss and asked him to be a good boy and that Driver was the leader of the receiver crew. Moss was then traded to New England and caught 23 touchdown passes. Thompson loved giving the big "Fuck You" to Favre. Gutenkunst is following the same script.

GB-Brandon
04-27-2020, 03:16 PM
Also what Gute can do is now is leverage draft picks to bring in another weapon now with being able to re-coupe that pick or picks when they trade Rodgers down the road.

Might of been a genius move. I’d love to be wrong here.

GB-Brandon
04-27-2020, 03:20 PM
Favre just about begged Thompson to pick up Randy Moss in 2007, and Thompson called Moss and asked him to be a good boy and that Driver was the leader of the receiver crew. Moss was then traded to New England and caught 23 touchdown passes. Thompson loved giving the big "Fuck You" to Favre. Gutenkunst is following the same script.

See this is my problem. Why do that to Rodgers? The guy gave us everything. I mean he had his shoulder literally screwed together to try and come back early to help us win and make the playoffs.

That’s a Fucken bullshit chicken shit attitude. If this is what Gute is doing then I can’t wait for it to crash on his dumb ass and bury him 6 feet under. That’s Fucken some bullshit.

sharpe1027
04-27-2020, 03:21 PM

That's a pretty big assumption. We only get what each side decides to tell us. I don't know you're wrong, but I have to believe they'll pick up the phone to talk unless Rodgers shuts it down?

GB-Brandon
04-27-2020, 03:22 PM
“EVIL PEOPLE”

GB-Brandon
04-27-2020, 03:23 PM
Go make a trade for AJ Green and then Rodgers will pick up the Phone. Get it done!!!

ThunderDan
04-27-2020, 04:16 PM

Not even close.

Favre had Driver, Jennings and James Jones in 2007. We don't have anything like the talent on this team after Adams.

What did Favre put up for stats in 2007? 4,155 yards 28 tds 15 ints. One of his best years in GB. Whose yards are you taking to keep Randy Moss happy?

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2020, 04:26 PM
What do you think the odds are of having the same luck with injuries this year?

I don’t think the percentages are in are favor.

I’m starting to like some of these picks too. Dillon was a guy i wanted. Gute needs to go get another receiver.

Is Paul Richardson still available anyone?

I wouldn't bet against a mostly injury free season. That's the norm. Just about anybody other than the GOAT gets hurt, and we'd survive ok. And I don't expect all that many.

According to Google, Paul Richardson is still a FA. It seems like our leaders don't see a need for speed, though.

call_me_ishmael
04-27-2020, 04:38 PM
I am almost certain the Packers will address WR before the season starts. They'll add at least one more FA, if not two.

pbmax
04-27-2020, 05:52 PM
Favre just about begged Thompson to pick up Randy Moss in 2007, and Thompson called Moss and asked him to be a good boy and that Driver was the leader of the receiver crew. Moss was then traded to New England and caught 23 touchdown passes.

Is this a short story? Patriots offered a fourth round pick and the Packers a fifth.

Better story is the fiction a guy in New England was making up.

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/507561055103766528

Bill Barnwell @billbarnwell
Great trade rumors of the 21st century.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bws4FwbIIAA30b7?format=png&name=small

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2020, 05:59 PM
Trading away the 4th round pick steep asking price for a top 5 receiver ALL TIME!!! You know who the Packers ended up taking with that 4th round pick, that was considered so valuable that Thompson couldn't part with? The answer is offensive lineman Allen Barbre. Hindsight is a real motherfucker

pbmax
04-27-2020, 06:06 PM
Trading away the 4th round pick steep asking price for a top 5 receiver ALL TIME!!! You know who the Packers ended up taking with that 4th round pick, that was considered so valuable that Thompson couldn't part with? The answer is offensive lineman Allen Barbre. Hindsight is a real motherfucker

I mean, when you look at the championship Moss delivered, its hard to argue with you.

But this wasn't about Favre, Thompson wanted his own guys and didn't like spending extra. He wouldn't even up his offer for Beast Mode for Rodgers when he was the QB. Ted didn't like FA if he could avoid them.

mraynrand
04-27-2020, 07:20 PM
Is this a short story? Patriots offered a fourth round pick and the Packers a fifth.

Better story is the fiction a guy in New England was making up.

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/507561055103766528

Bill Barnwell @billbarnwell
Great trade rumors of the 21st century.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bws4FwbIIAA30b7?format=png&name=small

Wait, a TOP 5 QB OF ALL TIME for a TOP 5 RECEIVER OF ALL TIME? Good trade: Favre wouldn’t throw that INT in Moss’ direction in the NFCG and they could always bring back Brohm after Fave retired to run the show.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2020, 01:35 AM
2020 NFL Draft: Love-Packers, Dobbins-Ravens among top 10 fits
(http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001111967/article/2020-nfl-draft-lovepackers-dobbinsravens-among-top-10-fits)

1) Jordan Love, QB, Green Bay Packers
Drafted No. 26 overall (Round 1)

To the chagrin of many Packers fans, the team traded up to get their quarterback of the future at the end of the first round. The Utah State standout is a unique combination of A-plus arm talent, athleticism and improvisational skills that could make him a star in the league. While the skeptics point to his disappointing 2019 season (20:17 TD-to-INT ratio) as a major concern, Love posted a 32:6 TD:INT ratio as a sophomore in 2018, exhibiting patience, poise and discipline as a pocket passer surrounded by experienced playmakers and a creative play-caller. In Green Bay, Love will have at least a year or two to sit behind Aaron Rodgers and become the player that captivated scouts' imaginations prior to the 2019 college football season. If Packers coach Matt LaFleur can smooth out the rough patches in Love's game while helping the young playmaker retain the aggressive approach that conjured up loose comparisons to Patrick Mahomes, the Packers could extend their unprecedented run of extraordinary quarterback play into the 2030s.

gbgary
04-29-2020, 11:23 AM
Nobody had been able to explain anything to me how this team got better thus far this offseason or how this draft has kept up in contention for any type of Super Bowl?

I'm not going to try because "this season" isn't what it's about. this team isn't SB caliber and nothing they could have done was going to change it. this draft was about replacing guys they won't be able to keep going into 2021, and in Rodgers case it's about moving on from someone they're tired of dealing with. Gute told him not to be the problem but he couldn't help himself. he's pushed back from day 2 of the MLF era.

pbmax
04-29-2020, 12:47 PM
I'm not going to try because "this season" isn't what it's about. this team isn't SB caliber and nothing they could have done was going to change it. this draft was about replacing guys they won't be able to keep going into 2021, and in Rodgers case it's about moving on from someone they're tired of dealing with. Gute told him not to be the problem but he couldn't help himself. he's pushed back from day 2 of the MLF era.

#8 offense in DVOA.

As I said about replacing M3, they will be lucky to get better. Careful what you wish for.

GB-Brandon
04-29-2020, 01:10 PM

The guy has a nice rookie season going 13-3(mostly with smoke and mirrors)and all the sudden he is the next “Vince Lombardi”. Gute’s drafting is becoming very concerning and suspect to say the least. The cap is maxed and they are getting zero production out of some 1st round picks.

These guys might go down as the biggest failures and the most destructive in the history of the franchise. This whole thing is now riding on the development of Jordan Love.

This was completely unnecessary and rather reckless i might add. They don’t have near the leverage they are portraying.

Fritz
04-29-2020, 01:56 PM
My hope is that TimBoil will be the backup QB this year and Jordan Love can stay safely tucked away on the non-active list every Sunday. Ideally, Rodgers would start for the Packers for the next two or even three years, and if the kid pans out, then off you go. At that point Rodgers could retire or request a trade.

But I have no idea if the kid will be good or not. He appears to have great physical tools. But does he have the vision to be an NFL QB, sensing the pressure and knowing when to stand in and when to go? I don't know. Can Matt The Flower develop an NFL QB? I don't know. I hope so.

texaspackerbacker
04-29-2020, 03:51 PM
My sentiments exactly - except I would say 3, 4, or even 5 years, not just 2 or 3.

Zool
04-29-2020, 03:56 PM
Can Matt The Flower develop an NFL QB? I don't know. I hope so.

What a gigantic career defining bonk this could turn out to be if he can't. He'll either be Mike McCarthy or Mike Sherman at the end of this thing.

pbmax
04-29-2020, 04:07 PM
What a gigantic career defining bonk this could turn out to be if he can't. He'll either be Mike McCarthy or Mike Sherman at the end of this thing.

To be fair, Mike Sherman's GM never drafted him good enough talent to develop at QB.

mraynrand
04-29-2020, 04:24 PM
He'll either be Mike McCarthy or Mike Sherman at the end of this thing.

Either way, he'll be eating at the Golden Corral then.

Bretsky
04-29-2020, 06:18 PM

TRENT DILFER

Rastak
04-29-2020, 06:25 PM
2020 NFL Draft: Love-Packers, Dobbins-Ravens among top 10 fits
(http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001111967/article/2020-nfl-draft-lovepackers-dobbinsravens-among-top-10-fits)

From behind a paywall, this small snippet.

“The only outcome that makes sense is that Love is the starter by no later than the first game of his third year,” a veteran NFL team executive said. “If he is already gone or never starts, that is a terrible outcome. What is the outcome that the Packers are expecting? And the outcome that they are expecting, in my estimation, is that in two years they are going to move on from Aaron, and it might be next year, depending on how things go this year.”

Bretsky
04-29-2020, 06:32 PM

“The only outcome that makes sense is that Love is the starter by no later than the first game of his third year,” a veteran NFL team executive said. “If he is already gone or never starts, that is a terrible outcome. What is the outcome that the Packers are expecting? And the outcome that they are expecting, in my estimation, is that in two years they are going to move on from Aaron, and it might be next year, depending on how things go this year.”

The Truth will Set you Free

GB-Brandon
04-29-2020, 06:40 PM
Lets not forget, although I’ve tried but this whole thing has just covered up temporarily “The Other Elephant In The Room” which is called “Mike Pettine And A Defense That Can’t Stop The Run”.

They did almost nothing to help here so this isn’t just about getting some shinny new toy for Aaron. All these people that think this crazy theory that we were just “A Really Good 13-3 football team with little to improve” obviously weren’t watching the same Championship Game I was. Without some high powered offense I’m not sure how you can overcome this glaring deficiency.

Yeah, I’m certain Kirksey is gonna just instantly turn the run defense around all by himself.

NOT!!!!!!

pbmax
04-29-2020, 06:56 PM

Which paywall Ras?

pbmax
04-29-2020, 06:58 PM

Eh, maybe. I don't think too many people would be surprised by a two year wait.

What they are saying instead is that Rodgers is great, he is the starter and the other guy is just punching a time card. Which no one believes.

Is it punching a time clock? time card? are you just punching a clock?

UndergroundDawg45
06-26-2020, 12:45 AM
The more I watch highlights of Love, the more I’m starting to like him.

Nobody knows what the future brings. Love could be a complete bust, a career backup, so-so starter or Hall of Famer. But I think, at worst, Love will be another Cutler. Take away his penchant for bad decisions, and Cutler was’t too bad a QB.

Hopefully Love replaces Rodgers after the Pack’s third consecutive Owl win in the next 3 years and proceeds to carry 4 and 12’s torch.