PDA

View Full Version : First Round Pick 2020, Jordan Love

pbmax
04-24-2020, 12:50 PM
Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood
#Packers GM Brian Gutekunst says he has not yet spoken to Aaron Rodgers, but says "he's a pro." Calls this a long-term decision.

"The way things worked out, this was the best decision for the #Packers."

Gutekunst says he "you never really know" on whether teams behind him are willing to move up to draft he same prospect he wants, "but we thought that was a possibility" with teams trying to draft Jordan Love.

Gutekunst says not fair to Jordan Love right now to say the new first-round pick will be Aaron Rodgers' eventual replacement as #Packers starting QB. "We've got the best quarterback in the National Football League, and we plan to have him for awhile, competing for championships."

Gutekunst on what he likes about QB Jordan Love: "He's a very natural thrower, can make all the throws. He's a very good athlete, he has the size we look for. There's some rawness to him, but we feel like he has everything in front of him."

Gutekunst says Jordan Love's dip in production last season at Utah State was a matter of him still developing. "He went through some moments this year that he'd probably like to have back, but getting through the other side of that was important."

Gutekunst says he didn't have Jordan Love in mind specifically when he expressed willingness to draft a QB in first round back in February before the combine, just a QB in general. But he's been aware of Love since last summer, obviously had interest.

New #Packers QB Jordan Love says Aaron Rodgers has not reached out to him yet. What kind of relationship does he hope to have with Rodgers? "I'm already knowing that I'll be able to learn a lot from Aaron Rodgers. He's one of the greats of the game."

Jordan Love had 6 picks his first season at Utah State. Six his second season. Then 17 his third, last year.
What does he make of that?
"I was just trying to force balls and do too much. Try to make plays when plays weren't needed."

Jordan Love says he has a lot to learn, from playbook to mechanics, and he's looking forward to opportunity to learn from Aaron Rodgers: "Just being able to sit behind him and learn, what's better than that? So I think it's a great situation for me."

Jordan Love says he thinks he'll be wearing No. 10: "I'm not sure if that's set in stone yet, but that's what I've heard."

Jordan Love on what he brings to the #Packers: "I would say playmaker. That's what you need at the quarterback spot. That's what they've got right now. ... Just a playmaker when the play breaks down and making off-schedule throw.s"

pbmax
04-24-2020, 12:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuCs248rETU

pbmax
04-24-2020, 12:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-6fLDrpvAg

pbmax
04-24-2020, 12:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW-lNnYafxI

pbmax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo67gdl5yKY

pbmax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnJgmCVSjCE

pbmax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkmpN18f6lk

pbmax
04-24-2020, 12:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADhDHDCd6MI

pbmax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSjHUJajWxE

RashanGary
Intriguing. If he's good, he'll make the defense better by being a scout team hero

pbmax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w624cyjrI9A

pbmax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogbzFEvWdPE

Bretsky
04-24-2020, 12:55 PM
Intriguing. If he's good, he'll make the defense better by being a scout team hero

It is time to predict he contributes more then Baconator #1 in 2020 ?

pbmax
04-24-2020, 12:56 PM
Harv or Joe, can you put your best scouting report source in this thread for Love? Thanks.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2020, 01:17 PM
Here are some:

Jordan Love isn’t without his warts but he possesses a high-level physical skill set and peaks on tape that reveal the ceiling of a potential dynamic NFL starting quarterback. His arm talent and mobility is perfect for the trends of today’s NFL and there is no limitations to what he can do on the field. The full playbook is open for Love and then some. With that said, he does need to make notable strides in several key areas including decision-making, timing and accuracy to achieve his ceiling. An early investment in Love is a bet on yourself to be able to develop his overall game but his upside is worth the calculated risk.

Summary: Jordan Love is an incomplete passer who has understandably attracted the NFL eye with the ceiling offered by his natural talent. Love's natural release of the football, ability to throw receivers covered to uncovered with touch, and extension of plays all profile as a high-caliber playmaker in the NFL in the mold of a Mahomes, Wilson, or Rodgers. With that said, nothing about Love's play is yet normalized: he does not set his throwing base, get into his drop, identify his read, or place the football with anything resembling consistency. Love will be picked on by NFL defenders if forced to start early in his career, and I believe he is a strong candidate to sit for a season as he adjusts to the speed of NFL play and scripts for himself a better response to pressure packages and safety rotations. Love is a boom/bust prospect who will be overdrafted for his boom, and his stock is conditional on landing with a team willing to do the hard work of developing him.

Jordan aligns at QB for the Aggie spread offense, mostly from the gun. He has good overall athleticism for the position. He has a Carson Wentz like windup and delivery of the football and although he has a quick release, getting his operation more efficient will speed up his delivery even more. He is quick in his drop and shows good foot work in the pocket. Due to having an offensive line that struggled with protecting, he spends a lot of time retreating and throwing off his back foot. However, when he has a clean pocket he has shown the ability to deliver the ball with zip and accuracy. He was also forced to make quick decisions and was not a good decision maker in these instances. His mechanics began to suffer as the game progressed when faced with consistent pressure from the rush. He can change his arm angle on check-downs and other short area throws to fit in tight windows. He does a good job of helping the protection with his decisiveness and by getting the ball out quickly. He has good escapability and does a very good job of extending plays with his legs. His quick release, decisiveness and internal timer allow him to makes plays on schedule. His good athleticism, ability to improvise and his good mobility allow him to make plays off schedule, giving the offense another opportunity. He does a very good job of keeping his eyes downfield when escaping the pocket and has shown good accuracy and touch on the move. He has shown good accuracy and touch on intermediate to deep throws, putting the ball on the number away from the defender and allowing the receiver to catch and run. He needs to do a better job of throwing the ball away to avoid negative plays and not forcing the ball into tight windows. In the NFL, I believe this player develops into a starter by year 2. He will need to break some bad habits, learn to make better decisions under duress and trust his protection up front. He will also need time to develop other nuances of the position, like reading defenses from under center and manipulating safeties with his eyes. With that said, his skill set is a good fit for todays NFL. The arrow is definitely pointing up with this player and his best football is ahead of him.

Player Summary - Jordan Love has franchise quarterback qualities and should be regarded as a prospect with a Pro Bowl ceiling. Love's statistical regression in 2019 isn't indicative of a regression in skills or decision making — was a victim of poor supporting cast in many instances. Love will need patience and must go to a team with coaching staff able to nurture, develop and cater passing schemes to where he thrives. He isn't plug and play but he's a potential game changing QB.

Dynamic signal-caller with a flick-of-the-wrist throwing style, good touch, and plenty of athleticism―but big questions around his decision-making and ball security

MAIN SELLING POINT: Tools, tools, tools
SCOUTING REPORT
Love is as big of a traits-based prospect as we’ll see in this draft. The 6-foot-3, 224-pound quarterback has prototypical size, athleticism, and a strong arm but took a massive step back statistically this year (partially due to a coaching change and a lack of surrounding talent). He tossed 20 touchdowns to 17 interceptions after posting a 32-to-6 touchdown-to-interception line the season prior. But his skill set and potential ceiling as a passer are sure to intrigue a few teams―and it’s notable that less-than-impressive final stat lines didn’t cause Josh Allen or Daniel Jones to fall too far in recent years.

Love has showed off flashes of incredible touch and precise ball placement to every level of the field while operating primarily in a shotgun offense; he has the ability to manipulate defenders with his eyes; he has a pretty, catchable deep ball; and he shows willingness to attempt tight-window throws against one-on-one coverage. He throws well on the move, and when plays break down, he has the athleticism to pick up yards on the ground (he ran for 403 yards and scored nine touchdowns in three seasons at Utah State). Love can strafe, backpedal, and keep himself in a throwing posture while avoiding the rush in a muddied pocket, and he never seems fazed―even when the gates of hell apparently open up in the stands.

That said, Love’s big plays are too often punctuated by poor ones. His ball placement is erratic at times, which is a trait that could get him in trouble. He has the ability to toggle through throws of varying velocity, but there were times when his default was to loft up a rainbow when a bullet throw was necessary. Overall, Love created far too many turnovers, and appeared to predetermine his targets while ignoring coverages.

WHY HE COULD RISE
Love has scintillating arm talent and a high ceiling as a passer; his skill set should translate well to the combine and pro day environments.

WHY HE COULD FALL
He comes with a low floor, he turned the ball over far, far too much in 2019, and he may need some time as a backup to refine his game.

mraynrand
04-24-2020, 01:19 PM

he will audible to runs

pbmax
04-24-2020, 01:33 PM
It is time to predict he contributes more then Baconator #1 in 2020 ?

I predict he will beat out the starter at his position.

JK Scott will be the backup placekick holder.

beveaux1
04-24-2020, 01:37 PM
I predict he will beat out the starter at his position.

JK Scott will be the backup placekick holder.

LOL

Deputy Nutz
04-24-2020, 01:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo67gdl5yKY

He has a easy, hitch free arm motion that produces a lot of zip on the ball.
His foot work seems legit
his intermediate passes are tight and fit in the correct window.
Combination of Favre and Rodgers with touch.

I watched this film and LSU defender #8 kept standing out. Ouch....

pbmax
04-24-2020, 01:57 PM
https://youtu.be/GOG1qvCbqsc

RashanGary
04-24-2020, 02:00 PM
He has a easy, hitch free arm motion that produces a lot of zip on the ball.
His foot work seems legit
his intermediate passes are tight and fit in the correct window.
Combination of Favre and Rodgers with touch.

I watched this film and LSU defender #8 kept standing out. Ouch....

He never looked rattled despite playing against NFL talent with a poor supporting cast. Tough competitor too.

Bretsky
04-24-2020, 02:01 PM
Dude has talent. I would have loved the same guy/pick if this was 2 years later.

Yesterday I would have loved Patrick Queen

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2020, 02:24 PM
2018 - Utah State has their best record ever at 11-2. They finish in the top 25 for the third time in program history. They finish with double digit wins for the third time in program history. This is Utah State, not Utah. Not a good program historically.

2019 - They lose their coaching staff (Texas Tech hired their HC after the 2018 season) and 9 out of their other 10 starters on offense. Of course, things were going to be really rough. It might be a good thing for Love. He had to deal with adversity and maybe got humbled. Utah State still finished at 7-6--which was only their 6th winning season in the last 23 years.

mraynrand
04-24-2020, 03:46 PM
https://youtu.be/GOG1qvCbqsc

I didn’t even watch the video. The lightning bolts were enough to convince me he is awesome!!

red
04-24-2020, 04:23 PM
sporting news

Grade : D
In an NFC where the 49ers, Buccaneers and Saints are in win-now mode, the Packers trading up for a potential successor to Aaron Rodgers makes little sense over a top wide receiver or offensive tackle to help him extend his Super Bowl window coming off a 13-3 season. Love (6-4, 224 pounds) matches his size with physical skills, including a big arm, and his athleticism bodes well if his accuracy, decision-making and footwork can become cleaner with good NFL coaching.

sbnation

This is the single most stunning selection in the first round by a long shot. The Packers traded into this pick, and the thought was that it would be for a wide receiver for Aaron Rodgers. Instead, they picked the veteran’s successor.

This pick could pay off big down the road. A quarterback on a rookie contract is almost priceless in today’s NFL. And Love is a player who needs to sit at least a year to fix some of his flaws. But with Rodgers, the Packers should push to win now.

Grade: D+

CBS

Grade: D. Terrible move by the Green Bay Packers. Aaron Rodgers told me last summer he wants to play until he's 40. They needed a receiver. They needed defensive help. Sitting behind Rodgers will do Love well, but not going to do the Packers well. You're on the cusp of getting to a Super Bowl, get Rodgers some help.

red
04-24-2020, 04:26 PM
nfl.com

Day 1 grade and analysis: A-
I thought Jordan Love was worth a first-round selection. The Packers did as well. In a mirror reflection of the 2005 draft, the Packers pick a first-round quarterback to learn behind Aaron Rodgers, just as they picked Rodgers to groom behind Brett Favre.

I believe Rodgers has at least a few more years of high-level performance in him -- should they have selected someone to help Rodgers excel during that time? Some Packers fans will think so. However, Love could help Green Bay win games over that span if Rodgers gets hurt again. Plus, there wasn't great value at receiver at the end of the first round; I expect the Packers to meet that need in Rounds 2 or 3 in a deep class. They also have needs at linebacker (Patrick Queen was available at No. 26), cornerback (same goes for Jaylon Johnson and Kristian Fulton) and right tackle (Josh Jones), but the players remaining at those spots did not offer as much value as Love. The Packers expect to pick near the end of the first with Rodgers as their QB1, so they figured they would get their guy while they could. They found value at the game's most important position.

They gave up the 30th pick in Round 1 and a fourth-round pick (No. 136) to get Love, which is standard fare for this type of move.

USA today FTW

D-

Landing with a team that already has a quarterback in place is ideal for Love, but I just can’t justify this from the Packers’ perspective. The Packers aren’t a team that has the luxury to draft for the future with Aaron Rodgers’ career winding down. Green Bay was an impact draft class away from competing for the Super Bowl. Even if Love drops all of the bad habits that littered his 2019 tape, this pick isn’t going to make the Packers, a team that should be in win-now mode, better any time soon.

red
04-24-2020, 04:33 PM
bleacher report

That sound you are hearing is Aaron Rodgers' teeth grinding. He is grinding them so hard it is registering on the Richter scale. But before we delve into the psychodrama that's about to get very real in Green Bay, let's look at Love for a moment.

Bleacher Report's Pinpoint-Accurate Quarterback Comparison: 70 percent as good as Patrick Mahomes equals 90 percent as good as Drew Lock equals, er, maybe 110 percent of Jake Locker?

Every team wants to draft the next Patrick Mahomes. But searching for the next Patrick Mahomes is a great way to get coaches, scouts and execs fired.

That's the paradox NFL evaluators face in the 2020s. Mahomes is the new template for a franchise quarterback, but it's a template loaded with negatives. Mahomes was erratic and made risky decisions as a college quarterback. The search for more Mahomes-types leads to lots of big-armed, mobile, wildly inconsistent talents. Invest too heavily in the wrong guy and you may end up fired for selecting an interception machine. But playing it safe with traditional dropback passers is a great way to end up with Mitchell Trubisky instead of Mahomes. It's a lose-lose.

We're making the Mahomes comparison because Love welcomed it at the Senior Bowl. "I like that comparison," Love said. "We've both got strong arms. He obviously makes ridiculous throws off-schedule and stuff like that. It's something that I've tried to model in my game, just trying to make throws like that. And I hope to be on the same platform as him."

To be clear: Love is not in the same league as Mahomes. He does have a great arm and improvisational skill, plus a quick delivery when he's operating from the pocket. But he's not the one-of-a-kind athlete Mahomes is, and he throws too many Jameis Winston-style passes directly to underneath defenders. A better comparison for Love is Denver's Drew Lock, who also inspired some Mahomes comparisons because of his knack for quirky big plays.

The Packers, of course, have plenty of time to develop Love. The question now becomes whether he will become what Aaron Rodgers was late in Brett Favre's career—part heir apparent, part challenger and burr in the saddle—or whether he will prove too erratic to mount a serious threat anytime soon.

But make no mistake: the Packers made a statement by trading up for Love. Rodgers heard it. And we'll be hearing a lot about the dynamic between this promising rookie and the ever-so-slightly (heh) temperamental incumbent in the weeks and months to come.

Grade: C, for "Combustible."

walterfootball

O'BRIEN Grade (not a good grade)
Wow. This is terrible. The people on TV are comparing this to the Aaron Rodgers pick from 2005, but the difference is that Rodgers was considered a No. 1 overall pick prospect who just happened to fall. Jordan Love was never that good. Love is an extremely raw quarterback who has some major decision-making issues. He has high upside, but chances are that he flops. This, of course, means that the Packers aren't helping Rodgers win now, so they might as well trade him. If I were a Packer fan, I'd be very disappointed right now, and I imagine Rodgers is quite upset as well.

Also, why the trade up? Whom were the Packers attempting to jump for Love? This is just a dumb pick.

nflspinzone

The Green Bay Packers have had plenty of success at taking quarterbacks who fall in the draft and letting them sit behind a proven veteran. They do what they did with Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre now with Jordan Love and Rodgers. This is a perfect situation for Love as he can mold his elite tools behind a future Hall-of-Famer in a budding offense.

Grade: A-

nesn

Grade: C In a vacuum, drafting Love — who some felt was a top-10 talent — makes sense given where Aaron Rodgers is in his career. But if the Packers feel they’re truly a 13-3 team that came within one win of a Super Bowl, which is what happened last season, it’s puzzling for them to make a pick that’s clearly made with an eye on the long-term future. There probably was a better way for them to improve in the short and long term with that pick, but maybe they just love Love.

fantasypros

Grade: D-
I laughed so hard when this pick was made. WHY!!!? Rodgers still has four years left on his contract so is Love ever going to start a game for Green Bay? Sure, Rodgers is 36 years old, but he is still playing great football and the team won 13 games last year! The very least they could have done was given him the weapon he’s been begging for over the past several years. Not only that, but Love was horrendous in 2019 against lackluster competition. Major yikes.

athlonsports

Aaron Rodgers can't like this pick! Great long-term move, but for a team that made it to the NFC title game last season, you do wonder about the immediate need. If it pays off though, talk about being set for three decades at the most important position in the field.

Grade: B

call_me_ishmael
04-24-2020, 04:53 PM
I actually think the Jameis Winston comparison is apt.

Joemailman
04-24-2020, 05:14 PM
Dude has talent. I would have loved the same guy/pick if this was 2 years later.

Yesterday I would have loved Patrick Queen

I agree with this. However, if Rodgers has to miss games due to injury, he probably gives the Packers a better chance to win games in Rodgers'absence than any other backup on the roster.

smuggler
04-24-2020, 05:14 PM
Best understanding of the pick goes to nesn and athlonsports, red

Teamcheez1
04-24-2020, 05:31 PM
I'm not arguing for or against the pick although I do feel there were other areas of need that maybe should have been addressed with this pick. I'm sure the Packers were also looking at next year's draft class when evaluating whether to take Love.

I think we're fooling ourselves if we think AR's performance (or lack thereof) is strictly due to WR's. Be it injury, age, new offense, etc., my opinion is he didn't play that well last season. I never felt he would finish the new contract he signed. Maybe, the Love pick will light a fire under Rodgers, but I don't believe he has any issues with competitive drive and spirit. He has his moments as he is truly a great QB., but I have been left scratching my head at many of his performances and decision-making. I think Packer brass know he is a lot closer to the cliff edge than many of the fans and they decided to make the move now.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2020, 05:34 PM
Kiper had Love going #19 to the Raiders.
McShay has Love going #6 to the Chargers. He liked Love more than Herbert.

red
04-24-2020, 05:38 PM
One thing I heard today that really stuck out was that live is the first offensive skill player taken in the first by Green Bay since they drafted Rodgers

That’s still just shocking to me

It’s just insane how many first round picks we’ve wasted on defensive players on a side that never figured it out, and really refused to go after better weapons for a rod

Sure there were a few years in there where we had no need for wrs, but other then that, 15 years, no wrs, TEs or RBs

Reminds me of Ron wolf talking about how he wished he would have gotten Favre more weapons

We’ve never learned

RashanGary
04-24-2020, 05:49 PM
2018 - Utah State has their best record ever at 11-2. They finish in the top 25 for the third time in program history. They finish with double digit wins for the third time in program history. This is Utah State, not Utah. Not a good program historically.

2019 - They lose their coaching staff (Texas Tech hired their HC after the 2018 season) and 9 out of their other 10 starters on offense. Of course, things were going to be really rough. It might be a good thing for Love. He had to deal with adversity and maybe got humbled. Utah State still finished at 7-6--which was only their 6th winning season in the last 23 years.

Wow! Yeah, I liked his composure. Not surprised he's a winner

GB-Brandon
04-24-2020, 05:52 PM
I'm not arguing for or against the pick although I do feel there were other areas of need that maybe should have been addressed with this pick. I'm sure the Packers were also looking at next year's draft class when evaluating whether to take Love.

I think we're fooling ourselves if we think AR's performance (or lack thereof) is strictly due to WR's. Be it injury, age, new offense, etc., my opinion is he didn't play that well last season. I never felt he would finish the new contract he signed. Maybe, the Love pick will light a fire under Rodgers, but I don't believe he has any issues with competitive drive and spirit. He has his moments as he is truly a great QB., but I have been left scratching my head at many of his performances and decision-making. I think Packer brass know he is a lot closer to the cliff edge than many of the fans and they decided to make the move now.

JL’s biggest problem is “decision making”. Teams like BYU flustered him. Teams like Kent State flustered him at times. LSU obviously flustered him. He had LOT’S OF FILM being flustered and making “bad decisions”. He has a hard time making multiple reads and struggles and then just launches the ball in harms way. If you think Rodgers decisions are bad you haven’t seen nothing yet. I sure in the hell don’t want to endure a QB who throws 25-30 picks in a full NFL season. It’s gonna be a painful process if he is forced to play. This guy doesn’t have Brett Favre or P. Mahommes arm talent to get away or make up for all his struggles. One scout said he is 70 percent of P. Mahommes and a 105 percent of Jake Locker which is not good.

This guy is another project like Gary. He is a head case like Jamies Winston and forces stuff. Carson Palmer did the same thing too. It’s tough to work these things out cause everyone see’s things differently on the field. He is a natural thrower yes but isn’t very accurate at times which is another big problem in the NFL and tighter windows.

If we plugged him in right now with current offensive roster it would be a total disaster. Be prepared for a Bumpy Ride.

King Friday
04-25-2020, 10:05 AM
Love to me does not come across as highly intelligent. Against weaker competition when you have superior ability, you can largely get away with that...which explains his success at Utah State. That won't happen in the NFL. You need to be able to digest film and tendencies. I'm guessing this kid is clueless in that regard. However, the same could've been said for Favre coming out of college.

The one area that I have not seen a whole lot reported regarding Love is his work ethic. If that is strong, that would at least give me some hope. The pick is a roll of the dice. Gute is going to live or die in GB on this pick.

Bretsky
04-25-2020, 10:23 AM
One thing I heard today that really stuck out was that live is the first offensive skill player taken in the first by Green Bay since they drafted Rodgers

That’s still just shocking to me

It’s just insane how many first round picks we’ve wasted on defensive players on a side that never figured it out, and really refused to go after better weapons for a rod

Sure there were a few years in there where we had no need for wrs, but other then that, 15 years, no wrs, TEs or RBs

Reminds me of Ron wolf talking about how he wished he would have gotten Favre more weapons

We’ve never learned

Rodgers gets us to 8 wins; a bit more talent gets us in the playoffs. Then it shows

mraynrand
04-25-2020, 10:25 AM
"Even if Love drops all of the bad habits that littered his 2019 tape, this pick isn’t going to make the Packers, a team that should be in win-now mode, better any time soon."

Unless, of course Rodgers gets hurt. But we all are happy with Boyle, just like we were with Hundley and Kizer. And Rodgers cannot possibly get hurt ever, at all! :)

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2020, 10:30 AM
Love to me does not come across as highly intelligent.

Why do you feel this way? For what it’s worth, Love had the 5th highest wonderlic. Stanley, Fromm, Burrow, Luton scored higher. Eason, Herbert, Hurts, Tua, Gordon, and others scored lower. Both of Love’s parents were police officers (25 year veterans) and were very involved in his life, so I’m guessing education was important to them.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001101587/article/at-peace-with-family-tragedy-jordan-love-fulfilling-fathers-vision

Bretsky
04-25-2020, 10:33 AM
I think Love is a smart dude; he's way more Favre than Rodgers as he thinks he can slip every throw in.

2 years from now this would have been a nice pick

ANYBODY ELSE see a nice landing spot in New England for Aaron Rodgers !!! CLASSIC ending to a career. Hoody Genius calls, makes a trade, and AROD wins 2 more Super Bowls ...............lol

mraynrand
04-25-2020, 11:04 AM
ANYBODY ELSE see a nice landing spot in New England for Aaron Rodgers !!! CLASSIC ending to a career. Hoody Genius calls, makes a trade, and AROD wins 2 more Super Bowls ...............lol

Hoodie isn't giving up multiple round 1 picks

Vincenzo
04-25-2020, 12:26 PM
Oops, wrong thread

Bretsky
04-25-2020, 01:21 PM

Probably won't get that for a guy who has 1-2 years left to play somewhere else

Bretsky
04-26-2020, 01:42 PM
chicks will dig him like MattyFloor

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2020, 02:51 AM
https://twitter.com/Basaraski/status/1253798235426164737

mraynrand
05-01-2020, 06:15 AM
https://twitter.com/Basaraski/status/1253798235426164737

LOVE FELL DOWN AFTER THROWING THE BALL! (POOR BALANCE!)

WASTED PICK!

pbmax
05-01-2020, 07:36 AM
LOVE FELL DOWN AFTER THROWING THE BALL! (POOR BALANCE!)

WASTED PICK!

That class for football scouting is paying off nicely. Good work.

But can you work in a personal/emotional reference as the baseline reason he fell down?

His pinewood derby car once fell off the track and he hasn't been steady on his feet since.

He once asked a group of friends where they wanted to eat and it took 10 minutes to make a decision. QBs don't have 10 minutes in the pocket Bob.

mraynrand
05-01-2020, 07:37 AM
That class for football scouting is paying off nicely. Good work.

Today's lesson: ONLY FIRST ROUND WIDE RECEIVERS ARE GOOD.

Professor: Matt Millen

pbmax
05-01-2020, 07:48 AM
Jersey Al gets these occasionally and he all but says they are from whatever BLESTO scouting service is called these days. Its the service that runs its own scouting department and makes its reports available to member teams. Each team sends them some money and a scout. At least they used to .

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/jordan-love-scouting-report-sneak-peek-759

Player: LOVE, Jordan
School: Utah State
Jersey: 10
Year Entered: 2016

Body Structure
Love has a tall, lean frame, but possesses the ability to add at least ten pounds of bulk without the additional bulk impacting his above average quickness. He has good bone structure, tight waist and abdomen, with long limbs, good upper body muscle development, with good thigh and calf muscle definition. He has a well-proportioned build, not really “jacked up,” where he is overly muscular, as his athletic frame perfectly suits his impressive agility and mobility.
General Report 8.24

Athletic Ability 8.7
Love has the best athleticism of any 2020 draft eligible quarterback not named Tua, as he has outstanding foot quickness and agility, making him a dangerous threat to run and turn up field when the pocket is compromised. He displays excellent body control on the move, possessing the agility and balance to step into his throws. As a ball carrier, he has above average speed and acceleration for his position.

Despite early season struggles in 2019, he has shown improvement throwing on the move. He has the balance and feet to slide away from pass rushers and good range of motion on the move. He can develop into a savvy decision maker rolling out of the pocket, as he displays above average kinesthetic awareness.

Football Sense 8.0
Love has complete command of the huddle and total control on the field. He has shown much better improvising skills as a junior than during his senior year, but he appears to have confidence in his ability to create in an instant. He has solid field awareness and outstanding pocket presence, but must do a better job of protecting the ball, especially from backside pursuers. He has shown very good play retention ability and is a master at improvising on the run. With his natural football instincts and accuracy throwing on the move, he looks like a version of Aaron Rodgers for the way he handles check-downs and gets the ball out to his receivers without having them adjust too much for the ball. He has shown in the past that he can be a good decision maker capable of making the spectacular play. He plays with the swagger you look for in a quarterback, combining that with above average athleticism and quick feet to be a dangerous threat on the move or standing in the pocket. He sees coverage developing very quickly and makes good adjustments changing up the plays in game situations. He is good at making checks and makes a conscious effort to scan the field and use all the tools given him (very alert to secondary targets), especially when forced to improvise. He is a “student of the game” who puts in the extra hours after practice and in the film room, where he studies tapes religiously (has that bit of Rodgers' perfectionist to him, as he takes advantage of any avenue to improve his overall game).

Character 8.0
Love is well-liked and respected by the staff and teammates. He comes from a very supportive family, is close to his older brother and has always had that “inner fire” to succeed in whatever he does. He has no known off-field issues and with the way he responds to the coaches and works with his teammates, he would make a nice coaching candidate when he hangs up his football helmet.

Competitiveness 8.3
Love is a classic warrior. The only thing missing in the trenches is “war paint.” He plays with bumps and bruises that would sideline most quarterbacks and he instantly brings confidence to his teammates with the swagger he displays on the field. The thing you see on film is his extreme confidence in his athletic ability, as it allows him to be an aggressive playmaker with the confidence he displays to take chances and create something out of nothing. The thing that impresses talent evaluators is that he will seek out and play with reckless abandon (has that Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers moxie to his play). He is patient working with younger teammates, but will also take them to task for mistakes. He does all the “little extras” that a pro quarterback needs to do in the training and film rooms. He is sometimes his harshest critic, a bit of a perfectionist, but who wouldn’t want a field general with his desire to win, at any cost? He has excellent huddle command and is both mentally and physically tough.

Work Habits 8.2
Love has that businessman’s approach to his craft and puts forth the extra hours needed to hone his skills. He plays with tremendous pride and is known to “get hard on himself” after games for what he deems is a less than perfect performance, yet, he never lets bad plays affect the rest of his game, quickly shunning them to get back to the game plan at hand. Sometimes, it seems like Love lives in the football office. More often than not, his spare time will be spent in the film room or on the practice field. He is an example for the younger players to emulate. Anyone “talking bad” about him is probably an opposing defensive coordinator, as that coach knows he is in for a long afternoon facing a well-prepared Love coming out of the huddle. He commands respect in the locker room and huddle, yet prides himself on being “one of the guys.”

pbmax
05-01-2020, 07:49 AM
Athletic Report 7.94

Set Up 7.9
Love is still not NFL-ready, but his set-up displays cat-like quickness. He has a nice array of fakes and moves to freeze a defense and shows above average body mechanics getting to his pass set point. He has the balance, foot speed and body control to drive back from center quickly. He is highly effective throwing on the move. The thing that gives Love an advantage vs. the blitz is his quick feet in his set-up. He has very good balance and body control getting to his drop point and is usually in position to make all his throws. He shows good pad level and feet to separate from under center, consistently delivering the back-foot press and pop-up. He has the ability to step up in the pocket and keeps defenses honest with his ability to tuck the ball and run with it, if he finds that space needed to get into the second level.

Reading Defenses 8.0
Love is a classic touch passer who has very good vision and instincts, evident by the way he can instantly read and understand the defensive coverage. He is an instinctive player and good decision maker. While he is a quick decision maker, he is also the type that plays within the offense’s framework. He has that instinctive nature you look for in a successful quarterback – he knows when to throw and when to run.

Release 7.1
Love has worked hard to erase a bit of a wind-up that he sometimes had in the past when trying to fire the ball from a low angle. Summer camps has seen him develop a highly effective and quick release (high), along with an ability to improvise on the run. He throws across the body effectively and even on the occasions where he will sidearm the ball, he puts good zip behind his tosses. When he throws from overhead and not shoot from the hip, he is very capable of getting the ball out with outstanding velocity and touch. He has shown marked improvement in making his delivery more compact and when that ball comes off his fingers, you can actually hear the “buzz” behind his throws before it explodes into his target’s chest. Even when he fires with a “big circle,” he gets the ball out quickly, thanks to his ability to anticipate his receivers on the route’s progression. More patient coaching will help him to prevent dropping the ball in his motion, but you can see he has the mechanics for a smooth and compact delivery.

Arm Strength 8.5
Love has an NFL-caliber arm, as he generates exceptional velocity and zip on the ball. The team system is geared more for the intermediate passing game, but he has more than enough arm strength to fire long. His ball comes off his fingers with excellent velocity. He is still learning how to take “something off” his throws in order not to break his receivers’ fingers, especially when throwing into tight areas. He puts very good zip on his passes to get it to his targets from the opposite hash. While his coaches misuse his arm strength by relying more on the running game, he has shown flashes of brilliance getting the ball up the seam, especially noted on deep comebacks, streaks and when roping the posts. He has a lively arm for the short passing game, also, and good accuracy when airing it out. You can see that he has that outstanding arm strength to put zip behind his throws.

Accuracy 7.3
After struggling early with poor receivers and a scheme that did not match his athleticism, Love was allowed more say in the play-calling the second half of 2019 and he showed the ability to change up speed on his short tosses to make the completion, thanks to solid consistency and timing. On the long throws, he flashes touch and accuracy, even though he was “stuck” in an offense that was more designed for the short-to-intermediate passing game. He is a highly effective short-to-medium range passer when given protection, as he can generate the touch and velocity, when needed. The coaches don’t let him uncork the long ball as much as a QB with his arm strength needs to do, but on those occasions, you can see that he can throw the deep ball with optimum air, velocity and timing. The thing you saw in his 2019 games the second half of the season was his ability to “smoke it” into the cornerback/safety voids. With his improved touch, he is perfectly capable of giving his receivers space and time to adjust.

Touch 7.3
Love has that great field vision a pro quarterback needs when reading defenses and making adjustments. He uses all of his receivers with effectiveness and will locate and hit his targets with consistency. He has very good anticipation of the receiver’s route progression and shows good timing to get the ball to his targets as they become open. He has the timing to connect with the long ball and while he has to eliminate his big circle (just does that on occasion now), he has a good feel for timing routes. He shows that he can lay it over the top when going deep and down the seam and also along the boundaries. Even though he does not get a lot of “shots” downfield as his strong arm deserves, he has good deep ball placement when he does fire into this area. The thing you notice on 2018 game tapes was his success in leading his receivers to the ball, but in 2019, he had very poor quality targets to work with. He throws that deep ball with ease, even though it whistles and buzzes with tremendous velocity. Another thing noticed on tapes is that he throws the long ball with nice trajectory.

Poise 8.0
Love has the swagger of “Johnny Depp in the Pirates of the Caribbean.” He is the total take-charge type on the field and the consummate playmaker and team leader, as the Aggies players seem to rally around their field general. He has that moxie to hold the ball and not get rattled in the face of a fierce pass rush, but if the defense gets too aggressive, he has that speed and running ability to tuck the ball and get good yardage on the ground.He shows very good focus on the scramble and knows he has the ability to make things happen with his arm or feet. He stays composed and feels pressure well, knowing when to step up in the pocket or slide laterally to avoid the rush.

Leadership 8.3
Love has great presence in the huddle and everyone knows he is in charge. He is a good leader by example, but will not hesitate to get vocal if he feels a teammate is not playing up to his abilities. He is highly respected by the staff and a good presence in the locker room. Players look up to him and he has the maturity, tactfulness, competitiveness and confidence to be the type that will be a respected leader at a young age, once he enters the NFL.

Pocket Movement 8.3
Love shows very good pocket awareness and when he sees an open rush lane, will not hesitate to hit the hole with quickness and power. He is a long strider that gobbles up real estate in a hurry and is perfectly capable of rolling out and throwing the ball deep from the opposite hash. He shows good balance and timing on his three-step drop and even on longer drops, he has the change of direction skills to stop on the dime, redirect and leave a would-be tackler grabbing at air. The thing you see consistently on those game films is his ability to step up or get out of the pocket to borrow time before completing the pass. He does a nice job of maintaining focus down field and the vision to locate his secondary targets. When given time to read coverage, he is very efficient at distributing the ball to lots of targets. I like the way that he goes through his progressions to locate those second and third options, rather than getting “tunnel vision” by locking on to his primary target for too long.

Scrambling Ability 7.4
Love can move fast away from pressure while also showing the ability to throw on the run. Opposing defenses know that he is a dangerous runner and this forces them to “man up” on him rather than double-teaming another Utah State player. You can see that he can pull up and hit a big play, thanks to his cannon for an arm. You see on film that while he can avoid contact, he also has that underrated strength to square his shoulders and power through to fight for additional yardage.

Compares To
Aaron Rodgers-Green Bay...Love is an athletic “stallion” in the mold of McNabb during Donovan’s prime. He needs to add some bulk to his frame to absorb punishment at the next level and undergo some mechanical refinement (wind-up and low release point), but I challenge anyone to find another quarterback eligible for the 2020 draft that has his arm strength, running ability and quickness. His arm rivals that of Rodgers' and his swagger is favorably compared to that of Matt Ryan’s. He’s just not utilized to his best assets by the Utah State coaches.

mraynrand
05-01-2020, 08:10 AM
" he looks like a version of Aaron Rodgers for the way he handles check-downs"

Translation: He does not throw check-downs. TD all the way, baby!

ThunderDan
05-01-2020, 09:00 AM
Today's lesson: ONLY FIRST ROUND WIDE RECEIVERS ARE GOOD.

Professor: Matt Millen

Any WR drafted is better than no WRs drafted at all.

Professor: ThunderDan

ThunderDan
05-01-2020, 09:09 AM
^^^^

Especially when you have Allison, Lazard, Kumerow, MVS and Shepherd behind Devante Adams.

Upnorth
05-01-2020, 09:11 AM
That is the most flattering appraisal of Love i have read. I hope it is right.

Bretsky
05-01-2020, 09:59 AM

Nope, and odds are Gutebag wouldn't get multiples either

mraynrand
05-01-2020, 10:09 AM
^^^^

Especially when you have Allison, Lazard, Kumerow, MVS and Shepherd behind Devante Adams.

Wait you know Geronimo is gone and Funchess is in, right? Many don’t agree with me, but I think it’s a big deal. Of course he was only a second rounder, so Matt Millen would be displeased.

ThunderDan
05-01-2020, 10:49 AM
Wait you know Geronimo is gone and Funchess is in, right? Many don’t agree with me, but I think it’s a big deal. Of course he was only a second rounder, so Matt Millen would be displeased.

Yes, and Funchess hasn't really played in over a year. I hope it is a good pick up but until I see him playing well and healthy I am skeptical. Funchess's best year was 60+ catches. Better than the shit we had on our roster last year (except Lazard at the end) but not by a lot.

mraynrand
05-01-2020, 11:01 AM
Yes, and Funchess hasn't really played in over a year. I hope it is a good pick up but until I see him playing well and healthy I am skeptical. Funchess's best year was 60+ catches. Better than the shit we had on our roster last year (except Lazard at the end) but not by a lot.

I’m skeptical too, but his ceiling is way above Geronimo.

yetisnowman
05-01-2020, 11:16 AM
"With the swagger of Matt Ryan"

Fuck it. Now I'm sold.

Edit
Apologies for paraphrasing and using quotes

mraynrand
05-01-2020, 11:24 AM
"With the swagger of Matt Ryan"

Fuck it. Now I'm sold.

Edit
Apologies for paraphrasing and using quotes

In fairness, I think it was supposed to read 'stagger'

pbmax
05-01-2020, 01:50 PM
In fairness, I think it was supposed to read 'stagger'

I have never understood the Ryan hype.

mraynrand
05-01-2020, 07:48 PM

Yep. No finish, No edge, despite the “Matty ice designation still, Rodgers in his fading years might look like peak Ryan, but with a little more moxie.

George Cumby
05-01-2020, 07:50 PM

Ayuh.

Smoke and mirrors.

GB-Brandon
05-06-2020, 11:57 AM
The down side.

http://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1257773385003778048

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2020, 11:27 PM
https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/draft/veach-breaks-down-clyde-edwards-helaire-pick

In the time leading up to the draft, Veach said the Chiefs received calls from teams asking if the Chiefs were interested in trading up. As soon as Green Bay traded up to draft quarterback Jordan Love at No. 26, the phones went silent. The GM was okay with that, keeping the Chiefs tracking with their board.

pbmax
05-08-2020, 10:30 AM
Nice writeup of Love basically from hometown to college:

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/49016/jordan-loves-transformation-from-sticks-to-packers-future-qb

mraynrand
05-08-2020, 10:42 AM
https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/draft/veach-breaks-down-clyde-edwards-helaire-pick

In the time leading up to the draft, Veach said the Chiefs received calls from teams asking if the Chiefs were interested in trading up. As soon as Green Bay traded up to draft quarterback Jordan Love at No. 26, the phones went silent. The GM was okay with that, keeping the Chiefs tracking with their board.

I keep scratching my head over this. It's backwards somehow. Other teams asking Chefs if they want to trade up? Why? Why would those go silent after Love was selected. Chefs didn't want to move up to get Love, right? Did they want to move up for anyone? And why would Love selection affect that. I'm missing something here. Maybe I didn't read this thread carefully? Help me out...

ThunderDan
05-08-2020, 10:43 AM
I keep scratching my head over this. It's backwards somehow. Other teams asking Chefs if they want to trade up? Why? Why would those go silent after Love was selected. Chefs didn't want to move up to get Love, right? Did they want to move up for anyone? And why would Love selection affect that. I'm missing something here. Maybe I didn't read this thread carefully? Help me out...

If you draft someone in the 1st round you can get an extra year of control of the player.

mraynrand
05-08-2020, 10:46 AM
If you draft someone in the 1st round you can get an extra year of control of the player.

OK. I know that. Weren't the Chefs the last pick in round 1?

I checked: they were #32 as you'd expect.

OK, so OTHER teams must have been contacting the Chefs to trade up to #32 to get some Love. I get it now...

ThunderDan
05-08-2020, 10:47 AM

I completely misread what you wrote and went and read the article. Why would the Chiefs specifically be thought of as a team who would trade up? What does Love have to do with teams asking KC to trade up who already has their starting QB for the next 10 years on their roster?

mraynrand
05-08-2020, 10:49 AM
I completely misread what you wrote and went and read the article. Why would the Chiefs specifically be thought of as a team who would trade up? What does Love have to do with teams asking KC to trade up who already has their starting QB for the next 10 years on their roster?

The way it was worded was confusing. Had to be other teams wanting that #32 spot from the Chefs to draft Love. Once Packers picked him, the calls stop, right?

ThunderDan
05-08-2020, 10:49 AM

That sentence in the link is horribly worded. Looks like people were calling the Chiefs to trade up to #32 but sounds like teams were asking the Chiefs if they wanted to move up from #32.

mraynrand
05-08-2020, 10:50 AM
That sentence in the link is horrible worded. Looks like people were calling the Chiefs to trade up to #32 but sounds like teams were asking the Chiefs wanted to move up from #32.

yep

pbmax
05-08-2020, 10:52 AM
Writing at SI has taken a huge hit now that they are a content farm.

mraynrand
05-08-2020, 10:57 AM
Writing at SI has taken a huge hit now that they are a content farm.

So what you're saying is that they need to use a fourth rounder to trade up into the first for a real writer. I wonder if they're taking calls...

mraynrand
05-08-2020, 10:59 AM

It just goes to show you that the old adage is true: Everyone wants love, but only with options.

pbmax
05-08-2020, 11:17 AM
So what you're saying is that they need to use a fourth rounder to trade up into the first for a real writer. I wonder if they're taking calls...

That's what the fans want them to do.

They are doing what red or someone predicted about Ted a long time ago: trade all picks and collected every 7th rounder from now until the end of the decade.

mraynrand
05-08-2020, 11:33 AM
They are doing what red or someone predicted about Ted a long time ago: trade all picks and collected every 7th rounder from now until the end of the decade.

hahahahahahaha

GB-Brandon
05-08-2020, 04:08 PM
The more i think about this I would of preferred the Packers to make a trade for Josh Rosen over this move. IMO it would of been much cheaper and to me Rosen is the better prospect. Rosen is only 23 and has superior accuracy in short to intermediate throws. He is also athletic and already has some in-game experience. I like the swagger he brings. He has been completely set up too fail thus far. A couple years behind Aaron could of worked wonders for Rosen.

The best part about it is we probably could of gotten him for a 3rd or possibly even that 4th we gave to trade up for Love. Just would of made much more sense to me.

mraynrand
05-08-2020, 04:14 PM
The more i think about this I would of preferred the Packers to make a trade for Josh Rosen over this move. IMO it would of been much cheaper and to me Rosen is the better prospect. Rosen is only 23 and has superior accuracy in short to intermediate throws. He is also athletic and already has some in-game experience. I like the swagger he brings. He has been completely set up too fail thus far. A couple years behind Aaron could of worked wonders for Rosen.

The best part about it is we probably could of gotten him for a 3rd or possibly even that 4th we gave to trade up for Love. Just would of made much more sense to me.

I will bet you three internet LOLs that Love ends up the better NFL QB than Rosen.

Bretsky
05-08-2020, 07:29 PM

I'd take Love over Rosen

GB-Brandon
05-08-2020, 07:41 PM
I will bet you three internet LOLs that Love ends up the better NFL QB than Rosen.

If Rosen gets in the right situation then I would gladly take that bet. The Steelers would be a great spot for him to sit behind R-Burger for a couple years. If something like this happens then he could end up being a super star.

“Chosen Rosen”

GB-Brandon
05-08-2020, 08:48 PM
I think people are gonna be in for a big shock when they see JL’s lack of ability or accuracy in the short to intermediate passing game. This is way way faster then the Mountain West. A lot of guys look great when playing 7 on 7 or Skelly without pads. Love has light years to go from everything i have seen.

Rosen has much more refined arm talent.

call_me_ishmael
05-09-2020, 12:17 AM
I think people are gonna be in for a big shock when they see JL’s lack of ability or accuracy in the short to intermediate passing game. This is way way faster then the Mountain West. A lot of guys look great when playing 7 on 7 or Skelly without pads. Love has light years to go from everything i have seen.

Rosen has much more refined arm talent.

I am shocked Rosen is still available for seemingly pennies on the dollar. Buy cheap, let him ride pine for a few years, and see if he can figure out how to play. Clearly has a lot of talent in there somewhere.

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2020, 12:54 AM
If Rosen gets in the right situation then I would gladly take that bet. The Steelers would be a great spot for him to sit behind R-Burger for a couple years. If something like this happens then he could end up being a super star.

“Chosen Rosen”

Rosen sucks. I called it before that draft. I had Josh Allen ahead of Rosen in that draft. I don't want to talk about Lamar. :)

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2020, 12:56 AM
I am shocked Rosen is still available for seemingly pennies on the dollar. Buy cheap, let him ride pine for a few years, and see if he can figure out how to play. Clearly has a lot of talent in there somewhere.

Nah, I think it's pretty obvious that Rosen doesn't have "it". Just like Deshone Kizer from 2017. It didn't take long to figure either out. Quite honestly, I'd take Tim Boyle over Rosen.

pbmax
05-09-2020, 07:30 AM

I was hoping Rosen would find his way here. But three poor years might have foreclosed that opportunity. He got beat out by Fitzgerald and that is never a good sign.

mraynrand
05-09-2020, 07:36 AM
Nah, I think it's pretty obvious that Rosen doesn't have "it". Just like Deshone Kizer from 2017. It didn't take long to figure either out. Quite honestly, I'd take Tim Boyle over Rosen.

+1. But I would take Rosen over Kizer. Kizer’s ‘hesitation hitch’ is a unrecoverable fatal flaw.

GB-Brandon
05-09-2020, 02:26 PM
I was hoping Rosen would find his way here. But three poor years might have foreclosed that opportunity. He got beat out by Fitzgerald and that is never a good sign.

People can call me crazy but watching Rosen at UCLA reminded me a lot of Rodgers. It was actually kinda scary.

Rosen has been completely sabotaged for two seasons. He is real tough mentally and I believe he could bounce back in the right situation. If we made Mark Brunell a winner then we could do the same with Rosen IMO.

Rosen would of been cheap too and we could of gotten our receiver as well. This was the correct move IMO.

GB-Brandon
05-09-2020, 02:37 PM
Gute too me is trying to do things that could make him look smarter then everyone else. He is “Over-Doing” and “Over-Thinking” things and turning his head on the obvious Play Book to follow to win. It’s like he has to prove he is smarter then anyone else. This is dangerous for overall growth of the team.

First the Gary pick at 12 last and now this. Both of these picks went against everything the Packers needed to “Win Now”. Not only are these guys projects but we already have Studs at those position groups with “Massive Financial Investment”.

It makes Zero Sense. We have a “Wanma- Be GM” that has an ego driving him to make insane decisions.

pbmax
05-09-2020, 02:45 PM
Perhaps he is not trying to win now.

That is one of the lessons have taken away from this.

That and the fact that a first round WR might not be taken until Jon Gruden's children overthrow the Ron Wolf Legacies in the NFL War of the Roses in 2052.

GB-Brandon
05-09-2020, 03:09 PM
Perhaps he is not trying to win now.

That is one of the lessons have taken away from this.

That and the fact that a first round WR might not be taken until Jon Gruden's children overthrow the Ron Wolf Legacies in the NFL War of the Roses in 2052.

Right, but why extend Rodgers with all that guaranteed $ and make all these big free agent moves on defense?

This is what makes it frustrating. “THE CUMULATIVE MOVES” lack any Clear Vision or premise. They actually contradict each other.

“Dangerous Formula”

pbmax
05-09-2020, 03:28 PM
Right, but why extend Rodgers with all that guaranteed $ and make all these big free agent moves on defense?

This is what makes it frustrating. “THE CUMULATIVE MOVES” lack any Clear Vision or premise. They actually contradict each other.

“Dangerous Formula”

1. Wasn't his call to extend

2. Might believe in WR class (MVS, ESB, Canadian Dude or Funchess)

3. Might believe La Fleur can make it work

4. Trying to secure job after Rodgers

I should say the part I would worry about if I am La Fleur is the O line. They looked pretty good inside zone blocking for Jones. Its an open bet how they'll look without Rodgers.

GB-Brandon
05-09-2020, 07:21 PM
1. Wasn't his call to extend

2. Might believe in WR class (MVS, ESB, Canadian Dude or Funchess)

3. Might believe La Fleur can make it work

4. Trying to secure job after Rodgers

I should say the part I would worry about if I am La Fleur is the O line. They looked pretty good inside zone blocking for Jones. Its an open bet how they'll look without Rodgers.

We’ve already seen that Movie.

Go back and watch the games where we were led by Matt Flynn, Scott Tolzien, Senaca Wallace, Brett Hundley and Kizer. It was such a “Horror Movie” that people wanted to bring Favre out of retirement or sign Colin Kaepernick. Lol

“A Masterpiece Of Failure”

To put this thing in the hands of a guy that regressed at Utah State in the Mountain West Conference is Frightening.

People will be begging for Rosen. Lol

GB-Brandon
05-09-2020, 07:39 PM
This whole thing just piss’s me off the longer it goes. We have Rodgers who basically went and had a surgery where they put 13 screws and a steel plate in his shoulder so he could come back quicker and try to get us in the playoffs against most medical advice.

On our Super Bowl Run in 2014-15 he played with basically “1 Fucken leg” with a torn calf muscle and was hoping around out there making huge plays and throws.

For Gute to do this at this time is so ridiculous and literally disgusting and disgraceful. Who the fuck do these guys think they are?

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2020, 10:18 PM
People can call me crazy but watching Rosen at UCLA reminded me a lot of Rodgers. It was actually kinda scary.

Rosen has been completely sabotaged for two seasons. He is real tough mentally and I believe he could bounce back in the right situation. If we made Mark Brunell a winner then we could do the same with Rosen IMO.

Rosen would of been cheap too and we could of gotten our receiver as well. This was the correct move IMO.

I'll call you crazy. Rosen sucks! I called it before the draft, and I'm sticking to it. I had a second round grade on him. Vastly overrated coming out.

mraynrand
05-10-2020, 07:13 AM

Go back and watch the games where we were led by Matt Flynn, Scott Tolzien, Senaca Wallace, Brett Hundley and Kizer. It was such a “Horror Movie” that people wanted to bring Favre out of retirement or sign Colin Kaepernick.l

So the Packers probably should invest some draft or other capital in a backup QB with at least the possibility of being on the same level as Rodgers, eh? Scattershot filling of the backup/successor QB position has not worked.

sharpe1027
05-10-2020, 09:57 AM

“Chosen Rosen”
This is BS. If Rosen does well, you'll be patting yourself on the back and we'll never hear the end of it. If he doesn't, you'll explain how it was the "wrong" situation.

Take a position.

sharpe1027
05-10-2020, 09:59 AM
This whole thing just piss’s me off the longer it goes. We have Rodgers who basically went and had a surgery where they put 13 screws and a steel plate in his shoulder so he could come back quicker and try to get us in the playoffs against most medical advice.

On our Super Bowl Run in 2014-15 he played with basically “1 Fucken leg” with a torn calf muscle and was hoping around out there making huge plays and throws.

For Gute to do this at this time is so ridiculous and literally disgusting and disgraceful. Who the fuck do these guys think they are?

Trolls gonna troll. Take the bait!

GB-Brandon
05-10-2020, 12:46 PM
This is BS. If Rosen does well, you'll be patting yourself on the back and we'll never hear the end of it. If he doesn't, you'll explain how it was the "wrong" situation.

Take a position.

Well I don’t consider what happened in Arizona and then Miami to be a great situation for any young QB to succeed. Are you really trying to tell me that Jordan Love would flourish in those situations? He would of went in there and just turned it around?

I think “NOT”

GB-Brandon
05-10-2020, 12:48 PM
Why is it that anytime anyone has a different take or opinion and disagrees with what the Packers braintrust does there is such huge blow back?

It’s not exactly as though there on some big Winning Streak.

GB-Brandon
05-10-2020, 12:58 PM

I really don’t enjoy being right about such things. Don’t get upset with me. I didn’t put this disaster together.

GB-Brandon
05-10-2020, 01:03 PM
I'll call you crazy. Rosen sucks! I called it before the draft, and I'm sticking to it. I had a second round grade on him. Vastly overrated coming out.

Once again it’s way way to early to write Rosen off at 23 years old. If JL has some of the same problems i’m quite sure you will most likely be out front advocating that “He Just Needs More Time” and for everyone to be patient.

run pMc
05-10-2020, 01:42 PM

LOL true...so tempting.
The GM, the scouts, the whole personnel department and coaching staff -- who the fuck do these guys think they are?

GB-Brandon
05-10-2020, 01:43 PM
I’d “Love” to be wrong but I’m not gonna “Rah Rah Rah” every Packer move just to do it.

Packers draft R. Gary with 12th pick in Draft = “Rah Rah Rah”

Packers trade up in first round to draft Jordan Love= “Rah Rah Rah”

Packers do almost nothing to fortify there run defense = “Rah Rah Rah”

Packers do almost nothing to fortify there revering Corp = “Rah Rah Rah”

Packers shift gears and direction of personnel to become a “run first team” = “Rah Rah Rah”

Aaron Rodgers will probably ask to be traded next year = “Rah Rah Rah”

Sorry, I’m not down with any of this.

red
05-10-2020, 03:39 PM
Could this pick be a way for the coach and him to make sure they keep their jobs for another 4 or 5 years?

If we were to miss the playoffs next season (if there is a season), then there’s a good chance coach and him are on the hot seat

However, by putting us into rebuild mode and drafting our future QB, you would think they would be allowed enough time to see things out

However if Murphy has allowed this to happen when it seems like we could be trying for trophies, then he needs to go, in that case would a new ceo clean house, or allow the coach and GM more time to see what they can do?

mraynrand
05-10-2020, 04:10 PM
Why is it that anytime anyone has a different take or opinion and disagrees with what the Packers braintrust does there is such huge blow back?

1) I don’t need the hysteria. 2) people have differing opinions. For example, 3) in the past several
Years I see Rodgers get hurt and miss time with awful backups in his place. I didn’t like it and not anyone I know liked it. Packers needed a better option at backup QB. Because 4) Rodgers is getting old and could be done in an instant, a lot like other great QBs his age. So they need a backup QB and a successor. So they made that pick. Like it or not, it’s not the end of the world, it’s just a different strategy. 5) I didn’t like it or dislike alternative because of Relative proximity to the Packer brain trust. I liked the moves because it’s what I think they should do. 6). Like any fan, Inhave my own view and 7) don’t like straw man arguments against my views so 8) piss off and 9) have a great day! :)

sharpe1027
05-10-2020, 04:32 PM

Why is it whenever someone comes in here with an extreme opinion and repeats it 100 times with little room for acknowledging there are other valid opinions, they are surprised when people disagree?

What do you expect, everyone to agree with you? You're getting so much blowback in part because you're a broken record. I have to believe it's intentional at this point, thus the troll reference. What's your main/alt account in here?

sharpe1027
05-10-2020, 04:33 PM
Could this pick be a way for the coach and him to make sure they keep their jobs for another 4 or 5 years?

If we were to miss the playoffs next season (if there is a season), then there’s a good chance coach and him are on the hot seat

However, by putting us into rebuild mode and drafting our future QB, you would think they would be allowed enough time to see things out

However if Murphy has allowed this to happen when it seems like we could be trying for trophies, then he needs to go, in that case would a new ceo clean house, or allow the coach and GM more time to see what they can do?

That's pretty risky, but maybe.

GB-Brandon
05-10-2020, 05:09 PM

Very good point and I thought the same thing. We’re gonna be stuck with these frauds for awhile.

GB-Brandon
05-10-2020, 05:22 PM
Why is it whenever someone comes in here with an extreme opinion and repeats it 100 times with little room for acknowledging there are other valid opinions, they are surprised when people disagree?

What do you expect, everyone to agree with you? You're getting so much blowback in part because you're a broken record. I have to believe it's intentional at this point, thus the troll reference. What's your main/alt account in here?

Yeah, because I’m the only person in America saying this. it’s only the daily talk on just about every sports talk show and podcast. Get over yourself.

The fans “PAY FOR ALL THIS SHIT” which gives us a right to voice an opinion. It’s better then doing other things that are self destructive. For some of us passionate fans “that understand football” this is tough because we know it has a much bigger chance of being a GIANT FAIL then a huge success. It has wasted yet another opportunity to WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. To me that’s a pretty special thing for the fans and the City of Green Bay and the state of Wisconsin. I understand wild card games an occasional division round Is all it takes to float some people’s boat.

To me Green Bay is “Title-town” so it’s time to back that up once and for all.

I’ve also talked about several different topics on this forum.

GB-Brandon
05-10-2020, 05:24 PM
“Head In The Sand”

GB-Brandon
05-10-2020, 05:53 PM
1) I don’t need the hysteria. 2) people have differing opinions. For example, 3) in the past several
Years I see Rodgers get hurt and miss time with awful backups in his place. I didn’t like it and not anyone I know liked it. Packers needed a better option at backup QB. Because 4) Rodgers is getting old and could be done in an instant, a lot like other great QBs his age. So they need a backup QB and a successor. So they made that pick. Like it or not, it’s not the end of the world, it’s just a different strategy. 5) I didn’t like it or dislike alternative because of Relative proximity to the Packer brain trust. I liked the moves because it’s what I think they should do. 6). Like any fan, Inhave my own view and 7) don’t like straw man arguments against my views so 8) piss off and 9) have a great day! :)

Very interesting. Please help me with that vision? Please play out this “play it safe vision” and how this helps us win a Championship?

Rodgers gets hurt possibly and Love gets inserted and magically leads us to the promise land?

#headinthesand

mraynrand
05-10-2020, 06:51 PM
Very interesting. Please help me with that vision? Please play out this “play it safe vision” and how this helps us win a Championship?

Rodgers gets hurt possibly and Love gets inserted and magically leads us to the promise land?

#headinthesand

I thought I explained it pretty clearly. Love should be a better option to cover a few games than any backup the Packers have had the last several years. Also, he clearly has the potential to be an NFL starter after Rodgers is gone (voluntarily or involuntarily). So one pick serves two needs. My view (and the reason I predicted the Packers would draft Love) was that their backup and future QB prospects were both abysmal and needed addressing

PS. Maybe instead of sand, you can shove your head up your ass! :) ;). Have a great night!

RashanGary
05-10-2020, 06:51 PM
Would be really cool to go back to back to back HOF QBs. 45 years straight of HOF QB play!!!

sharpe1027
05-10-2020, 09:21 PM
Yeah, because I’m the only person in America saying this. it’s only the daily talk on just about every sports talk show and podcast. Get over yourself.

The fans “PAY FOR ALL THIS SHIT” which gives us a right to voice an opinion. It’s better then doing other things that are self destructive. For some of us passionate fans “that understand football” this is tough because we know it has a much bigger chance of being a GIANT FAIL then a huge success. It has wasted yet another opportunity to WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. To me that’s a pretty special thing for the fans and the City of Green Bay and the state of Wisconsin. I understand wild card games an occasional division round Is all it takes to float some people’s boat.

To me Green Bay is “Title-town” so it’s time to back that up once and for all.

I’ve also talked about several different topics on this forum.

I'm over myself. Thanks for the great advice!

GB-Brandon
05-10-2020, 11:42 PM
I thought I explained it pretty clearly. Love should be a better option to cover a few games than any backup the Packers have had the last several years. Also, he clearly has the potential to be an NFL starter after Rodgers is gone (voluntarily or involuntarily). So one pick serves two needs. My view (and the reason I predicted the Packers would draft Love) was that their backup and future QB prospects were both abysmal and needed addressing

PS. Maybe instead of sand, you can shove your head up your ass! :) ;). Have a great night!

Lol!!!!!

This is fantastic although if all Jordan Love becomes is a career back up Gute will soon be packing his bags. You don’t trade up in the 1st round ignoring all your needs for a career back up QB. Gute’s put his job on this pick.

This is “Bad Business”

mraynrand
05-11-2020, 06:24 AM
Lol!!!!!

This is fantastic although if all Jordan Love becomes is a career back up Gute will soon be packing his bags. You don’t trade up in the 1st round ignoring all your needs for a career back up QB. Gute’s put his job on this pick.

This is “Bad Business”

Here’s a theory for you. Rodgers is the problem. His going ‘off script’ and running his own offense and his unwillingness to dive after his own fumbles demoralizes the team. If you disagree with me, you’re just ignoring the truth and are a shill for Rodgers. See how this works? Isn’t it fun? Wheee!

pbmax
05-11-2020, 08:24 AM

Yes, its a way to guarantee job security, though I think more for Gute than LaFleur. Young QBs survive longer than new Head Coaches with young QBs.

If they miss the playoffs this year, it depends on the season they have. But I think even if its bad, its a year too easy for hot seat.

Nothing like this will happen and you know it. Rightly or wrongly, the organization has a new mode of operating (QB above all else) and its going to last awhile. That is the Wolf legacy.

Zool
05-11-2020, 08:24 AM

You literally do the exact opposite of this in almost all of your last 200+ posts.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 09:56 AM
Here’s a theory for you. Rodgers is the problem. His going ‘off script’ and running his own offense and his unwillingness to dive after his own fumbles demoralizes the team. If you disagree with me, you’re just ignoring the truth and are a shill for Rodgers. See how this works? Isn’t it fun? Wheee!

Except Rodgers still competed all the way to the end with basically one good weapon. The defense should of just stayed in the locker room at halftime. That was just Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad. They got punched in the face and just laid there and rolled around. Pettine shouldn’t even of been allowed on the airplane back to Green Bay. For that performance to be tolerated only sets the team back more as it creates a level of entitlement and mediocrity. Same old Same old. Look here but don’t look there!!!

Rodgers calls too many audibles? Well he has been doing it for a long time now. I’m perfectly fine with a HOF 15 year vet making calls at the LOS. I understand some have anointed Matt LaFleur as some genius coordinator/coach but I’m not quite sold yet. We’ll see how this plays out.

bobblehead
05-11-2020, 09:57 AM
I'd take Love over Rosen

I'd take Boyle over Rosen.

bobblehead
05-11-2020, 10:02 AM

Your credibility is now entirely shot with me. Rosen will be out of the league in a few more years. His rookie campaign with AZ, he couldn't hit water from the ocean. Complete deer in headlights. Did you watch him, or just read what someone wrote? Cuz he was/is a mess.

bobblehead
05-11-2020, 10:05 AM

Go back and watch the games where we were led by Matt Flynn, Scott Tolzien, Senaca Wallace, Brett Hundley and Kizer. It was such a “Horror Movie” that people wanted to bring Favre out of retirement or sign Colin Kaepernick. Lol

“A Masterpiece Of Failure”

To put this thing in the hands of a guy that regressed at Utah State in the Mountain West Conference is Frightening.

People will be begging for Rosen. Lol

You can't compare the current line with any of the lines you quoted. They aren't the same guys except for a couple of them who were here with Hundley.

bobblehead
05-11-2020, 10:17 AM
Except Rodgers still competed all the way to the end with basically one good weapon. The defense should of just stayed in the locker room at halftime. That was just Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad. They got punched in the face and just laid there and rolled around. Pettine shouldn’t even of been allowed on the airplane back to Green Bay. For that performance to be tolerated only sets the team back more as it creates a level of entitlement and mediocrity. Same old Same old. Look here but don’t look there!!!

Rodgers calls too many audibles? Well he has been doing it for a long time now. I’m perfectly fine with a HOF 15 year vet making calls at the LOS. I understand some have anointed Matt LaFleur as some genius coordinator/coach but I’m not quite sold yet. We’ll see how this plays out.

So was it AJones or DAdams that WASN'T a good weapon....I mean, he only had one right? How about the damn good OL? Why did Rodgers have his best games of the season and go 5-0 when Adams was hurt? Maybe Adams is over rated and Rodgers looks to him to the detriment of the offense and team. Maybe they have enough options, but Rodgers doesn't know how to utilize a TE busting the seam up the middle to open things up.

Or maybe having a wide open, run deficient high powered O featuring 3 great WR isn't the winning formula. Maybe if Rodgers just allows the run game to demoralize a D, control the clock and open up nice 3rd and 2 situations we can win an Owl.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 10:20 AM
Your credibility is now entirely shot with me. Rosen will be out of the league in a few more years. His rookie campaign with AZ, he couldn't hit water from the ocean. Complete deer in headlights. Did you watch him, or just read what someone wrote? Cuz he was/is a mess.

I really don’t care and I know what I’m taking about. I’m not gonna align my opinions to help create false optimism. Yes, I really like Rosen and I’ve followed him a lot all the way back to UCLA. His college tape and arm talent is much more impressive then JL’s in the short to intermediate passing game which is mandatory to have in the NFL. He was ran out of Arizona due to a coach/scheme change and then hung out to dry in Miami during a Fire Sale.

I believe he is very talented and can turn the corner in the right situation. Time will tell and we can re-visit this later.

mraynrand
05-11-2020, 10:28 AM

See? I was right. You are a Rodgers bootlicker and ignore reality.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 10:35 AM
So was it AJones or DAdams that WASN'T a good weapon....I mean, he only had one right? How about the damn good OL? Why did Rodgers have his best games of the season and go 5-0 when Adams was hurt? Maybe Adams is over rated and Rodgers looks to him to the detriment of the offense and team. Maybe they have enough options, but Rodgers doesn't know how to utilize a TE busting the seam up the middle to open things up.

Or maybe having a wide open, run deficient high powered O featuring 3 great WR isn't the winning formula. Maybe if Rodgers just allows the run game to demoralize a D, control the clock and open up nice 3rd and 2 situations we can win an Owl.

Well we found out spending 155 million on Free agents and adding 1-2 round picks every year to the defense isn’t a “Winning Formula”. It got Fucken “Boat Raced” off the field. Dominated to the CORE! Knocked the Fuck Out!

See this is what happens when talent deficiencies start to accumulate. I wish I was here last off-season as my take was everyone was gonna blame Rodgers as Gute Failed once again to bring in any legitimate weapons in the passing game and look what’s happening. No surprise. Let’s run and follow LaFluer and try to re-create the Tennessee Titans when we NEVER GAVE GIVING RODGERS WEAPONS A CHANCE other then the early years where we actually won a Super Bowl.

#INSANITY

This is why Green Bay does not deserve Aaron Rodgers.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 10:44 AM
See? I was right. You are a Rodgers bootlicker and ignore reality.

Actually I want Rodgers to leave so he can actually have a chance to Win a Super Bowl and then many can come down to a harsh reality because the level of ignorance is unprecedented.

mraynrand
05-11-2020, 10:48 AM
Actually I want Rodgers to leave so he can actually have a chance to Win a Super Bowl and then many can come down to a harsh reality because the level of ignorance is unprecedented.

Of course. You only believe whatever Rodgers tells you to believe. You can’t thinK for yourself. You’ve lost all objectivity and are a head-nodding shill.

PS. Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Zool
05-11-2020, 11:01 AM
This is why Green Bay does not deserve Aaron Rodgers.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/f6/f62bce4dd989acfcdd7e43fd31c4499506d9ced3e978edf84a 03e2c91d248675.jpg

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 11:17 AM
Of course. You only believe whatever Rodgers tells you to believe. You can’t thinK for yourself. You’ve lost all objectivity and are a head-nodding shill.

PS. Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!

No, actually I have witnessed and SEEN this guy for years basically carry a dysfunctional front office that makes mistakes in their sleep.

To not back him up with legitimate pieces might be one of the biggest tragedy’s in all of sports. Imagine if the Chicago Bulls just left Michael Jordan hang out to dry like the Packers did to Rodgers?

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 11:22 AM

PS. Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!

#GREATNESS
https://youtu.be/Au35osOrWGQ

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 11:27 AM
Even if by some MIRACLE this Jordan Love becomes anything the Packer front office will most likely just piss it away anyways.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 01:04 PM

!50 Million and 1st and 2nd round picks everywhere gets you this in San Fran.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=a4cc315ef0&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1666418042040862188&th=17204e615325c5ec&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8g5SEfBb2rbKrZUa1YYjOJGjxNgfijeH2PyIP AK3Y6-8coAHI72-ZvaKdugQRd6HPp8mZFO01KFvrVdHgf1_WvOEDMyYBwcBIwamCm pQuhz0lzxPCAf6zqPJk&disp=emb

Whooooppppppieeeeee Dewwww Dahhhhh!

yetisnowman
05-11-2020, 01:11 PM
You do realize a significant part of why we got "boat raced" in the title game is because AR played like dogshit right? Shut out for the 2nd straight title game in the first half. I don't even disagree about your opinion of the Love pick. But I'm also capable of seeing the other side. And a big part of seeing that side is being objective about AR's age, regression, injury history, and his garbage performances when the team is on the cusp of a SB.

Joemailman
05-11-2020, 02:32 PM
No, actually I have witnessed and SEEN this guy for years basically carry a dysfunctional front office that makes mistakes in their sleep.

To not back him up with legitimate pieces might be one of the biggest tragedy’s in all of sports. Imagine if the Chicago Bulls just left Michael Jordan hang out to dry like the Packers did to Rodgers?

He had 1 of the top WR's in the NFL. He had 1 of the best dual threat RB's in the NFL. He played behind 1 of the best OL's in the NFL. A lot of NFL QB's had to make do with less. When Adams went out with his injury the offense actually got better as Rodgers was forced to look to receivers other than Adams. If the other guys were as useless as you claim, that would not have happened.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 02:33 PM
You do realize a significant part of why we got "boat raced" in the title game is because AR played like dogshit right? Shut out for the 2nd straight title game in the first half. I don't even disagree about your opinion of the Love pick. But I'm also capable of seeing the other side. And a big part of seeing that side is being objective about AR's age, regression, injury history, and his garbage performances when the team is on the cusp of a SB.

Unfortunately his "Playoff QBR" doesn't align with this. He currently ranks 5th of all time. Most of these playoff loses were on glaring weakness's that never got addressed by the front office that finally caught up with the team. They failed to successfully address these things even though throwing massive resources at it which depleted the offensive talent. Now they want to do a "DO OVER."

I can understand the injury concern but once again the Packers won't win a Super Bowl if Rodgers gets hurt and Love has to take us the distance. There was zero reason to jump off the reservation and throw the investment they did when this team was teetering on going all the way.

Aaron Rodgers 100.0 "Playoff QBR"

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career_playoffs.htm

SudsMcBucky
05-11-2020, 02:45 PM

Nobody gives huge blow back with different takes, but when it's all nearly all 652 posts over a 4 month period, yeah, that's tiresome.

mraynrand
05-11-2020, 02:49 PM

Good post. Even so, I’m OK if he doesn’t even see the other side. If only he’d stop with assuming bad motives and building straw men, the discussion would be a lot more fun and interesting.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 02:51 PM
He had 1 of the top WR's in the NFL. He had 1 of the best dual threat RB's in the NFL. He played behind 1 of the best OL's in the NFL. A lot of NFL QB's had to make do with less. When Adams went out with his injury the offense actually got better as Rodgers was forced to look to receivers other than Adams. If the other guys were as useless as you claim, that would not have happened.

They did a good job surviving without Adams. That would be a plus for LaFleur but these were wins against KC(with no Mahommes) a gift against Detroit along with beating two "Non-Playoff teams in Dallas and Oakland.

Rodgers also didn't have a horrible season. 4,000 yards 26TD's and 4 interceptions is nothing to sneeze at. In fact I would argue this offense is "MAXED OUT" with current talent and it doesn't really matter what QB you have. Do you really believe Pattrick Mahommes could come into this offense and rip it up like he does with KC? Geez, Give me a break.

Yeah take away Tyreek Hill and Kelce and all those weapons they have on the perimeter and he certainly wouldn't be and MVP candidate.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 03:00 PM
Nobody gives huge blow back with different takes, but when it's all nearly all 652 posts over a 4 month period, yeah, that's tiresome.

That just simply isn't true. There has been much covered other then this topic. Like the Playoff Debacle, Draft. Free Agency etc etc.

I am sorry the truth hurts.

SudsMcBucky
05-11-2020, 03:03 PM
That just simply isn't true. There has been much covered other then this topic. Like the Playoff Debacle, Draft. Free Agency etc etc.

I am sorry the truth hurts.

The "truth" doesn't hurt. And to be quite honest, I agree with a good bit of it, but seeing post after post after post after post, usually right after each other basically same the same thing different ways is tiresome. Sorry if the truth hurts.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 03:07 PM
Let me be very CLEAR. I am not rooting for the Packers to FAIL. I am not Rooting for Jordan Love to Fail.

Am I excited about the possibilities of this team and the direction?

Absolutely Not. There is still time for Gute to make a move so have to see what happens.

yetisnowman
05-11-2020, 03:16 PM
Unfortunately his "Playoff QBR" doesn't align with this. He currently ranks 5th of all time. Most of these playoff loses were on glaring weakness's that never got addressed by the front office that finally caught up with the team. They failed to successfully address these things even though throwing massive resources at it which depleted the offensive talent. Now they want to do a "DO OVER."

I can understand the injury concern but once again the Packers won't win a Super Bowl if Rodgers gets hurt and Love has to take us the distance. There was zero reason to jump off the reservation and throw the investment they did when this team was teetering on going all the way.

I'm talking about NFC championship games. Hence "cusp of the superbowl" His QBR was 97 in last years title game. Because he padded his stats in the 2nd half when the team was down by 3-4 scores. Same with 2017. 91 QBR. Empty, meaningless stats. How many times do zero points in the first half of a playoff game get the job done? He's done that twice in a row in NFCCGs. And if you are a slave to the QBR stat why don't you look at the whole Sea game, or the first half in ATL and SF when the game was actually being decided. Or explain how AR being 20th in the NFL in QBR last year doesn't concern you.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 03:19 PM
If you wanna BE HONEST about it the move itself is very "NEGATIVE" cause your basically betting that Rodgers has maybe a year left of good play.

Why would anyone do that to the best thing that's happened to Green Bay in years. I am starting to think that people really don't like Rodgers but rather they put up with him because of his stellar play. That's too bad.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 03:27 PM
I'm talking about NFC championship games. Hence "cusp of the superbowl" His QBR was 97 in last years title game. Because he padded his stats in the 2nd half when the team was down by 3-4 scores. Same with 2017. 91 QBR. Empty, meaningless stats. How many times do zero points in the first half of a playoff game get the job done? He's done that twice in a row in NFCCGs. And if you are a slave to the QBR stat why don't you look at the whole Sea game, or the first half in ATL and SF when the game was actually being decided. Or explain how AR being 20th in the NFL in QBR last year doesn't concern you.

The Atlanta Game? Really? Do you remember Julio Jones? They scored at will just like in the Niner's did. That game was over when the FB fumbled. The Seahawks game was against one of the best defenses of all time in a very hostile environment and he played well enough to win playing with a torn calf muscle. It's a shame we didn't win that Seahawk game but the others we were clearly over-matched on paper and were only there because of Rodgers amazing play all season long. This roster other then 2015 Champ game had really no business being in those games. I don't know if there is any other QB that could of taken some of those teams to an NFC Champ Game.

All of these games were on the road as well. The percentages aren't good at winning Champ Games on the road. 10-6 teams usually can only go so far.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 03:38 PM
But as far as Atlanta that was one of "The Greatest QB Runs Of All-Time." He basically took that team that was "very average" and put it on his back and played at a level I don't believe I have ever seen before or since.

This is just ridiculous.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 03:42 PM
"CONJECTURE"

bobblehead
05-11-2020, 03:49 PM
!50 Million and 1st and 2nd round picks everywhere gets you this in San Fran.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=a4cc315ef0&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1666418042040862188&th=17204e615325c5ec&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8g5SEfBb2rbKrZUa1YYjOJGjxNgfijeH2PyIP AK3Y6-8coAHI72-ZvaKdugQRd6HPp8mZFO01KFvrVdHgf1_WvOEDMyYBwcBIwamCm pQuhz0lzxPCAf6zqPJk&disp=emb

Whooooppppppieeeeee Dewwww Dahhhhh!

See, the general narrative that Gutes has effed this all up I agree with. The general narrative that Rodgers single handedly dominates the league anymore I do not. He can't win by himself anymore (actually no NFL player ever can).

I was a TT fan and MM hater, now I am a gutes hater and flower fan. I will give Gutes a little rope though since we did make the NFCC game last year. Yea, we laid an egg against SF, but they get paid too....and they have had much higher picks to rebuild with for more years than we have. I'll judge Gutes by the entire body of work. If we regress this season he gets the blame for making what I consider multiple bad picks. His 3 drafts are abysmal imo and he will ultimately answer for that unless several players he has picked break out this year. So far he is living off TTs roster and TTs money that he left open in cap space. Draft wise he has produced not a hell of a lot to date and his 1st this year won't do anything (or we hope he won't)

bobblehead
05-11-2020, 03:53 PM

You did watch the first half of the SF game right? How about the epic great NFCC game he played in 2010 to vault us into the Owl. I love Rodgers, but he laid an egg in many a playoff losses over the years, and it could definitely be argued he was just as responsible for the debacle on the bay as the D was.

bobblehead
05-11-2020, 03:53 PM
They did a good job surviving without Adams. That would be a plus for LaFleur but these were wins against KC(with no Mahommes) a gift against Detroit along with beating two "Non-Playoff teams in Dallas and Oakland.

Rodgers also didn't have a horrible season. 4,000 yards 26TD's and 4 interceptions is nothing to sneeze at. In fact I would argue this offense is "MAXED OUT" with current talent and it doesn't really matter what QB you have. Do you really believe Pattrick Mahommes could come into this offense and rip it up like he does with KC? Geez, Give me a break.

Yeah take away Tyreek Hill and Kelce and all those weapons they have on the perimeter and he certainly wouldn't be and MVP candidate.

I just love "except for" arguments. Except for all those games we won, we sucked!!

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 03:57 PM
See, the general narrative that Gutes has effed this all up I agree with. The general narrative that Rodgers single handedly dominates the league anymore I do not. He can't win by himself anymore (actually no NFL player ever can).

I was a TT fan and MM hater, now I am a gutes hater and flower fan. I will give Gutes a little rope though since we did make the NFCC game last year. Yea, we laid an egg against SF, but they get paid too....and they have had much higher picks to rebuild with for more years than we have. I'll judge Gutes by the entire body of work. If we regress this season he gets the blame for making what I consider multiple bad picks. His 3 drafts are abysmal imo and he will ultimately answer for that unless several players he has picked break out this year. So far he is living off TTs roster and TTs money that he left open in cap space. Draft wise he has produced not a hell of a lot to date and his 1st this year won't do anything (or we hope he won't)

I agree with most of this. I just wish Thompson wouldn’t have had his condition. I miss him so much getting us “prized possessions” at receiver in the 2nd round. That’s when this used to be really fun.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 04:05 PM
You did watch the first half of the SF game right? How about the epic great NFCC game he played in 2010 to vault us into the Owl. I love Rodgers, but he laid an egg in many a playoff losses over the years, and it could definitely be argued he was just as responsible for the debacle on the bay as the D was.

Well that’s just it. Rodgers plays at an “MVP LEVEL” and Packers win. Rodgers plays at an “AVERAGE LEVEL” and Packers lose. He has to be a constant miracle worker with not much help. They have drained the offense down to D.Adams and AJ and a bunch of JAGS.

Tom Brady didn’t have to do nearly what Rodgers has been asked to do. And look what happened last year. Brady didn’t have the talent he liked on offense and he said “See Ya”

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 04:10 PM
There is no doubt that Rodgers hasn’t been the same but with what the front office has given him to work with I don’t really know how much more anyone can expect.

Period!!

Zool
05-11-2020, 04:11 PM
Period!!

Well then I guess there's nothing more to say. You've pulled out the haymaker and we're all powerless.

Zool
05-11-2020, 04:12 PM
Thank goodness you didn't say "nuff said" Then we'd really be in trouble.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 04:14 PM

Also, you do realize at one time he had Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Randell Cobb, James Jones and Jermical Finley.

Com’mon Man!!!

pbmax
05-11-2020, 04:32 PM

BEEP BEEP BEEP

Back up!

Four game win streak (DAL, OAK, DET, KC) without Davante

152 passes / 89 rushes / 241 total plays

63% pass, 37% run

Full disclosure, I counted Aaron Rodgers runs as pass attempts because they aren't calling naked boots for Rodgers.

Throwing to alternate receivers in the main (RBs) is a big plus. Running more not so much.

pbmax
05-11-2020, 04:45 PM

What?!

Rodgers is the reason for the poor showing in Atlanta?

At some point, possibly on the death bed of each poster, each will come to the realization that football is so complicated that reducing it to a binary like this is insanity. So you have that going for you.

The Packers had no business playing in the Championship game in 2016, Rodgers willed them there calling the extended offense.

Just as McCarthy's offense had stalled with the depletion of the receiving corp, Rodgers extended offense has run out of gas.

Whatever decline he has suffered pales in comparison to the loss of personnel on offense. Brandon isn't wrong about that. Its been noted by many others.

Rodgers is being headstrong about running his preferred pass offense, but that is as predictable as QBs getting older. The success of the next two years is in large part going to be dependent on reconciling Rodgers to the current version of the offense. La Fleur seems to be prepared to do that, but I am not sure Gute thinks it part of his job description.

I am not sure The Flower is up to that task alone.

pbmax
05-11-2020, 04:47 PM

Which is it? Is QBR a good metric or a useless metric?

pbmax
05-11-2020, 04:49 PM

Mainly the offense in Adams absence was Jones. And teams just started to cover him with DBs.

mraynrand
05-11-2020, 04:53 PM
Also, you do realize at one time he had Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Randell Cobb, James Jones and Jermical Finley.

Com’mon Man!!!

He has Davante and Aaron Jones!!!!!

!!!!!!!!

mraynrand
05-11-2020, 04:55 PM

I DONT KNOW!!!! BUT I HATE EVERYONE WHO SUPPORTS THE PACKER FRONT OFFICE PATRIARCHY!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!

yetisnowman
05-11-2020, 04:56 PM
Look I'm on record as hating the Love pick. And I'm on record for several years saying we needed to invest FA/high draft capital on receiver weapons. And that the past handful of years of either standing pat or throwing a bunch of day 3 picks flat out wasnt good enough. But I'm also very vocal about Aaron wetting the bed in NFC title games.
Yes that to get that far in 2016 with that roster was incredible. 0 pts in any first half of playoff football in the modern era almost guarantees you a loss. And at least some of that is on the QB.
All of these things can be true.

mraynrand
05-11-2020, 04:56 PM
!!!!!!!!!!

mraynrand
05-11-2020, 04:57 PM
All of things can be true.

That’s very metaphysical.

yetisnowman
05-11-2020, 05:00 PM

Somewhere in between, that's my point. Not useless. But certainly can be misleading. As in obviously AR wasn't the 20th best qb last year. And his playoff game in San Fran was not a good performance.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 05:06 PM
Look I'm on record as hating the Love pick. And I'm on record for several years saying we needed to invest FA/high draft capital on receiver weapons. And that the past handful of years of either standing pat or throwing a bunch of day 3 picks flat out wasnt good enough. But I'm also very vocal about Aaron wetting the bed in NFC title games.
Yes that to get that far in 2016 with that roster was incredible. 0 pts in any first half of playoff football in the modern era almost guarantees you a loss. And at least some of that is on the QB.
All of these things can be true.

Well against Atlanta Crosby missed a very doable FG and Ripkowski had a costly fumble on a drive that looked to score some points. It was a complete disaster all the way around. It was too much to make up by any single person just like the Niners game.

Yeah, I suppose if Rodgers played at the “120 QBR Level” we might of had a chance but you better get him the weapons needed to even have a chance to pull something like that off

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 05:07 PM
!!!!!!!!!!

I’m really not understanding your “temper tantrum”?

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 05:12 PM
Why can’t everyone just come to the conclusion that Gute sucks and he buried us moving forward. The cap is all fucked up and his picks are beyond questionable and now he is trying to cover it all up with this “Hail Mary Jordan Love Pick.”

The Packers and Mark Murphy picked the wrong guy to replace Ted Thompson. Pettine should of never been retained. Time to gut the whole thing.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 05:26 PM
Gute’s draft board is the “RAS Board”. Nothing really more then that.

run pMc
05-11-2020, 05:52 PM
Mainly the offense in Adams absence was Jones. And teams just started to cover him with DBs.

This is true. I posted somewhere the breakdown of receiver targets in those four games... they started featuring Jones and Jamaal more as targets. Defenses adjusted by covering Jones with a DB instead of a LB and the offense didn't throw to Jones as much as a result (Adams also returned by then). Drafting Dillon and Deguara will help them mask things by forcing defenses into bad matchups. They can motion Jones out wide and handoff to Dillon, for example, or use a heavy look and pass to Deguara sneaking out of the backfield.

Drafting the Day 3 OL means they won't keep Linsley, Madison, Taylor and possibly Turner around after this season. (Madison and Taylor might not make the roster this season.)

I think there's a faulty assumption that the offense is going to be same as it's largely been with Rodgers running it, vs. how MLF wants it run. Getting more pieces for his offense should change that, and should change our thinking of what the offense could/should look like. They simply don't have a Donald Driver caliber WR as their #4 anymore (sadly), but this isn't the M3 offense either. You can decry it as run-oriented or TEN football, but Shanahan took a past-his-prime Elway to back-to-back championships (as we know all too well) on that offense, and his son got to the SB with Jimmy freakin Garrapolo at QB with it.

I'd absolutely love to see them get some better WR talent and am disappointed they didn't this draft, but it's early to call the season over and a failure. If they get one of Lazard/ESB to make a leap forward the WRs might be passable when paired with Adams and Funchess.

I do think this is the year we can start to honestly assess Gute's scouting, it will be year 3 of his first draft. By the end of the 2021 season he might be a goner based on his 1st two drafts. Some of his picks have been worrisome, but you could say that about many of the Wolf/Thompson picks.

pbmax
05-11-2020, 05:55 PM
Somewhere in between, that's my point. Not useless. But certainly can be misleading. As in obviously AR wasn't the 20th best qb last year. And his playoff game in San Fran was not a good performance.

I can agree with all this. But then the question is: why the variability?

I think his stubbornness, born out of frustration with the great (almost forgotten offensive slow down of 2015-16), is a problem.

But it is also linked to a regression of talent. And I also think there is a disconnect between the outside zone game of LaFleur. The Packers success at running last year was a function of Jones inside AND a DC's fear of Rodgers. While I am not quite tex, the O line is still being remade to be a good outside zone blocking unit.

This offense doesn't have a new identity yet.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 06:19 PM
All that stuff is all “Fine And Dandy” but we don’t have the defensive front to pull it off and play that type of ball on offense. Once you get down it’s over and all the sudden you resort back to Rodgers throwing the ball all over to weak receivers(that can’t win)outside of Adams.

If this is indeed the plan then they need to cut Taylor and Lindsley now and go after Clowney on a one year deal and outbid the Seahawks.

Only Chance.

“Team Northwestern” won’t get it done.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 06:27 PM
Gute should “Love Clowney.” He is a high RAS guy that can actually get it done.

RashanGary
05-11-2020, 06:41 PM
This offense doesn't have a new identity yet.

I liked the overall view of the whole post. I'll nitpick the one piece I disagree with tho. While it wasn't a full shift into Tenn/ATL/SF/Rams football, I did feel like there was a mildly different identity last year compared to previous year.

1. The run game was highlighted more and was more successful than recent MM years. Seemed like more big runs and the WRs and whole offense just took the run game more seriously.

2. RBs were used more in the pass game.

3. Less extended offense so Rodgers took less of a physical toll.

I think they want to evolve even more in this run game direction. Sternberger and Deguara are two athletic young TEs who like to block and have the ability to do a lot of those movement blocks that Kittle is so good at in SF. The big running back should open up some more outside zone stuff. Jamaal Williams seems to be really dedicated to his craft this off-season on Twitter. I'm excited to see him this year too.

Adams = Adams last year
Lazard > Lazard last year
Funchess > MVS last year
MVS/EQ > Allison last year

All those WRs block well too. So quietly, I think our receivers have improved over last year's young and inexperienced group too.

I do think there was a shift last year. Maybe 20% identity change with another 20% coming this year. But it's Aaron Rodgers so it's still gonna have that feel.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 06:57 PM
Can we do Begelton>Driver too?

George Cumby
05-11-2020, 08:56 PM
That’s very metaphysical.

Go put Schrodinger's cat some place metaphysiacally impossible.

Zool
05-11-2020, 10:24 PM
Can we do Begelton>Driver too?

Adam or Minnie?

Zool
05-11-2020, 10:25 PM
Go put Schrodinger's cat some place metaphysiacally impossible.

What, like the back seat of a Volkswagen?

pbmax
05-11-2020, 10:38 PM
I liked the overall view of the whole post. I'll nitpick the one piece I disagree with tho. While it wasn't a full shift into Tenn/ATL/SF/Rams football, I did feel like there was a mildly different identity last year compared to previous year.

1. The run game was highlighted more and was more successful than recent MM years. Seemed like more big runs and the WRs and whole offense just took the run game more seriously.

2. RBs were used more in the pass game.

3. Less extended offense so Rodgers took less of a physical toll.

Agree with this all. But the effect wasn't huge. It was hardly noticeable.

2019 Packers O was 8th overall in DVOA, 11th for pass(+17.3) and 4th for run(+8.2)
376 points, 23.5 per game, ranked 15th
ran 411 times for 4.4 apc and 190 first downs (573 pass attempts)

2018 Packers O was 7th overall in DVOA, 12th for pass(+18.0) and 3rd for run(+12.4)
376 points, 23.5 per game, ranked 14th
ran 333 times for 5.0 apc and 298 first downs (640 pass attempts)

The improvement was almost all on D. The Packers offense ran a lot more on first down and to not much effect.

pbmax
05-11-2020, 10:41 PM

You mean the trunk?

Massive J
05-11-2020, 10:46 PM
This.

mraynrand
05-12-2020, 07:17 AM

More like ‘tomorrow’

Zool
05-12-2020, 07:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc7_NEinAjI

RashanGary
05-12-2020, 10:27 AM

2019 Packers O was 8th overall in DVOA, 11th for pass(+17.3) and 4th for run(+8.2)

2018 Packers O was 7th overall in DVOA, 12th for pass(+18.0) and 3rd for run(+12.4)

The improvement was almost all on D. The Packers offense ran a lot more on first down and to not much effect.

Wow, didnt realize how eerily similar the statistics were. I did agree with just about everything and even moreso now agree but you could see some phylisophical change in trying to attack the whole field. Receivers block with passion. RBs run routes with passion. Just sort of a push toward run/pass balance and unpredictable assignments to keep defenses guessing.

I do expect, with the 2nd round running back and the 3rd round TE, the direction is going to continue to go toward more running than we've seen. I could see 450 runs and 530 passes or something like that... Just getting closer.

red
05-12-2020, 06:13 PM

That’s because a rod was still running his own offense that fat mike allowed him to implement while he was busy in his office with the massage girls

mraynrand
05-12-2020, 10:02 PM
That’s because a rod was still running his own offense that fat mike allowed him to implement while he was busy in his office with the massage girls

Hahahahahaha

Massive J
05-12-2020, 11:36 PM

Worthless without pics.

pbmax
05-13-2020, 07:26 AM

I thought ARod's offense meant he was too arrogant and greedy to run the ball more?

mraynrand
05-13-2020, 07:29 AM
I thought ARod's offense meant he was too arrogant and greedy to run the ball more?

a rod was only running his own offense on passing downs.

pbmax
05-13-2020, 07:45 AM
a rod was only running his own offense on passing downs.

Where do all the non-coach approved audibles fit in?

mraynrand
05-13-2020, 07:55 AM
Where do all the non-coach approved audibles fit in?

When you check to the pass the offense is all yours!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ncoblvNQC48

call_me_ishmael
05-14-2020, 12:13 AM

Classic movie right here. Been awhile.

Zool
05-26-2020, 11:51 AM
I suppose we should start asking....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNEgUPKxk7A