PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Reality: Who Did The Packers Actually Want?

pbmax
04-24-2020, 01:00 PM
Let's say they couldn't pass Jordan Love because he was a first round grade at a position of some need. So no trading down.

Who were they trying to trade up for and not get?

Obviously not Queen who they could have taken.

I'd say Aiyuk.

mraynrand
04-24-2020, 01:26 PM
Wait, but they didn't make their trade until the SF trade was already completed and the pick made....Or, are you saying they were working on the trade to get to Aiyuk, made it but SF just out traded them? That's interesting. So they got burned 2X according to that theory.

beveaux1
04-24-2020, 01:29 PM
I think when Aiyuk came off the board, the last 1st round grade they had was Love. They moved up and took him.

I don't believe they were targeting an ILB or an OT in the 1st round. Queen was a first year starter for LSU and didn't start coming on until the middle of the season.
He was no Devin White. None of the OTs left on the board were thought to be immediate starters.

Mims, Higgins, and Shenault are built like the rest of their receivers minus Adams. My guess is, after the top 3, they wanted either Reagor or Aiyuk to help in the slot.

The choice was to move up and make sure they get Love or try to drop back and take a WR with a 2nd round grade.

They felt they couldn't pass up someone with the arm talent of Love.

mraynrand
04-24-2020, 01:30 PM
I think when Aiyuk came off the board, the last 1st round grade they had was Love. They moved up and took him.

I don't believe they were targeting an ILB or an OT in the 1st round. Queen was a first year starter for LSU and didn't start coming on until the middle of the season.
He was no Devin White. None of the OTs left on the board were thought to be immediate starters.

Mims, Higgins, and Shenault are built like the rest of their receivers minus Adams. My guess is, after the top 3, they wanted either Reagor or Aiyuk to help in the slot.

The choice was to move up and make sure they get Love or try to drop back and take a WR with a 2nd round grade.

smart take

pbmax
04-24-2020, 01:37 PM
Wait, but they didn't make their trade until the SF trade was already completed and the pick made....Or, are you saying they were working on the trade to get to Aiyuk, made it but SF just out traded them? That's interesting. So they got burned 2X according to that theory.

Basically. Would either have taken Aiyuk at 30 or at 26, but could not find the right price to go higher.

Speculation was that the Dolphins or Raiders would be open (18 and 19) because of multiple first round picks.

I suspect the truth is that they didn't like end of round 1 value for any remaining ILB or WR.

Smidgeon
04-24-2020, 01:48 PM

I think it was Aiyuk, Reagor, or possibly Ruiz. When they were all gone, then trade up and get the last first round talent they had on their list, a guy they possibly were really, really high on (otherwise a likely trade back). I think there was a decent chance the Saints would have taken him, but that's something I can only speculate on.

Zool
Arm talent of Love.

Hot

Smidgeon
Basically. Would either have taken Aiyuk at 30 or at 26, but could not find the right price to go higher.

Speculation was that the Dolphins or Raiders would be open (18 and 19) because of multiple first round picks.

I suspect the truth is that they didn't like end of round 1 value for any player.

Fixed

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2020, 02:08 PM

Completely agree

Deputy Nutz
04-24-2020, 02:35 PM
Who the hell knows because the Packers are never going to share their big board with anyone. I thought both Queen and Murray were worthy of first round picks and other teams confirmed that. I didn't think Jordyn Brooks was, but the Seahawks confirmed that he was. Good looking out Brandon. Mims was the only other receiver that I had with a first round grade that was left at 26, although reaching on Pittman at 30 wasn't that big of a reach in my book.

Packers front office has a different way of looking at positional value than I do. Defensively you have to be strong up the middle and the Packers prove year and year again that as the season goes on they get exploited up the middle. I would spend high picks on ILBs. Other teams are doing it. To ILB went top 15 last season and three were drafted this year in the first round. I thought the Packers were going to take Queen. I currently don't see a lot of value in the second or third round for inside linebackers in the 2020 draft.

RashanGary
04-24-2020, 03:10 PM
The two name guy you like abd maybe logan Wilson at the end of the third maybe...

Fritz
04-24-2020, 03:22 PM
Who the hell knows because the Packers are never going to share their big board with anyone. I thought both Queen and Murray were worthy of first round picks and other teams confirmed that. I didn't think Jordyn Brooks was, but the Seahawks confirmed that he was. Good looking out Brandon. Mims was the only other receiver that I had with a first round grade that was left at 26, although reaching on Pittman at 30 wasn't that big of a reach in my book.

Packers front office has a different way of looking at positional value than I do. Defensively you have to be strong up the middle and the Packers prove year and year again that as the season goes on they get exploited up the middle. I would spend high picks on ILBs. Other teams are doing it. To ILB went top 15 last season and three were drafted this year in the first round. I thought the Packers were going to take Queen. I currently don't see a lot of value in the second or third round for inside linebackers in the 2020 draft.

Not really sure what you're asking, PB, since I don't think Gute would trade up before Miami was actually on the clock, for the reason others here have mentioned. Why trade up before you knew the guy you wanted was actually going to be there?

I agree with Nutz. The middle, the middle, the middle. I hoped they'd take Queen if they were trading up.

pbmax
04-24-2020, 06:56 PM
Not really sure what you're asking, PB, since I don't think Gute would trade up before Miami was actually on the clock, for the reason others here have mentioned. Why trade up before you knew the guy you wanted was actually going to be there?

I agree with Nutz. The middle, the middle, the middle. I hoped they'd take Queen if they were trading up.

The idea is to assume Love wasn't the target. What could have been the target? Even if they had to trade up.

run pMc
04-24-2020, 07:29 PM

I wasn't listening super closely, but the JSO podcast was talking something like this -- that Gute was acting like he was good where he was at 30 until SF traded up, and then he started looking to move. One of their theories was that Aiyuk was the target and Love was the backup plan when they couldn't trade down. They will never admit to that, but I could see them getting stuck a little bit.

Smidgeon
04-24-2020, 08:33 PM
I wasn't listening super closely, but the JSO podcast was talking something like this -- that Gute was acting like he was good where he was at 30 until SF traded up, and then he started looking to move. One of their theories was that Aiyuk was the target and Love was the backup plan when they couldn't trade down. They will never admit to that, but I could see them getting stuck a little bit.

If you're stuck, you try to trade back. If you like someone, you trade up.