PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER TYPICAL NATIONAL ARTICLE-----MY QUESTION

Bretsky
05-01-2020, 07:00 PM
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-brandon-aiyuk-pick-could-cause-aaron-rodgers-packers-divorce?fbclid=IwAR2jSrr_SMxiT3cFB4WjjKbuhLNc-Mku0fFTpzDllnnRQpOT6tPSs8yYJ44

When nearly everybody is writing similar things, are we able to open our minds up to the idea ?

MY REAL QUESTIONS

1. Did GB Trade up BEFORE or AFTER SF moved ahead of them ? In other words, most think GB was trading up to pick Aiyuk although Gutebag won't confirm, or deny, which is smart.

BUT were they stuck there before SF jumped ahead of us, or could they have just remained at 30 ? Any sources on this ? I'm genuinely curious.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2020, 07:20 PM
This has been mentioned before, but if Aiyuk was their guy, they could have bailed on the offer, so this premise makes no sense.

Move on. Nothing to see here.

What likely happened is the Packers has Aiyuk and Love as their last two players with first round grade. Once Aiyuk went, they were worried about Indianapolis trading up to get Love (which I heard in a post draft article was the case) and made the move.

Joemailman
05-01-2020, 07:26 PM
I don't think they would trade up with the aim of taking Aiyuk unless they knew Aiyuk was available. I have to believe they traded up after the 49ers made their pick. I read somewhere that after Aiyuk was gone Love was the only guy left that they had a 1st round grade on. If so,they likely had 2 considerations: Trade up and take Love, or trade down out of the 1st round.

Harvey beat me to it.

mraynrand
05-01-2020, 07:45 PM
Good topic and good posts.

Bottom line is that the Packers seemed to want to get an impact player with their first round pick. I think they got him. It just won’t (hopefully) be this year or next. In know that’s disappointing to many, but if Rodgers commits to the offense I think he can be great in it and prolong his career, maybe even for a couple few years after GB, and maybe with at least another Lombardi in GB to his credit.

RashanGary
05-01-2020, 08:29 PM
Good topic and good posts.

Bottom line is that the Packers seemed to want to get an impact player with their first round pick. I think they got him. It just won’t (hopefully) be this year or next. In know that’s disappointing to many, but if Rodgers commits to the offense I think he can be great in it and prolong his career, maybe even for a couple few years after GB, and maybe with at least another Lombardi in GB to his credit.

Well fuck, that about sums this whole drama up on a paragraph.

pbmax
05-02-2020, 08:29 AM
I have been following football for a long time. I could have missed a story.

But I have never, ever read a story where the trading up team did not wait to confirm the trade until the target pick was on the clock on a draft day. In fact the normal story is that teams wait too long to confirm and run the risk of the clock running out.

The only concern the sequence of events gives me is whether or not trading down was fully explored or if Love was truly their target after the top receivers left the board.

Bretsky
05-02-2020, 03:38 PM
I have heard the logistics from posters in here; but I've never ready anything that confirmed out beliefs. That's why I was inquiring about documentation of exactly when they made the trade.

bobblehead
05-05-2020, 03:20 PM
I have been following football for a long time. I could have missed a story.

But I have never, ever read a story where the trading up team did not wait to confirm the trade until the target pick was on the clock on a draft day. In fact the normal story is that teams wait too long to confirm and run the risk of the clock running out.

The only concern the sequence of events gives me is whether or not trading down was fully explored or if Love was truly their target after the top receivers left the board.

McGinn has scouts impressions on the athletic. One scout basically said Love is the second best QB in this draft and if he slipped out of the top 10 everyone would wonder why in a few years. I'm starting to think that scout was on the packers staff. I think this is the way Gutes felt. He genuinely believes he is getting a top 10 pick and future stud QB. That is the ONLY reason to do what he did. If its for ANY other reason then he is a bigger idiot than I think he is (and I do think he is).

GB-Brandon
05-05-2020, 06:42 PM
I have heard the logistics from posters in here; but I've never ready anything that confirmed out beliefs. That's why I was inquiring about documentation of exactly when they made the trade.

Looks like they didn’t need to trade up to get Jordan Love. Seahawks were working a trade with Packers too per John Schnieder.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2890217-schefter-packers-didnt-need-to-trade-up-to-pick-jordan-love-in-2020-nfl-draft

Bretsky
05-05-2020, 07:18 PM
Looks like they didn’t need to trade up to get Jordan Love. Seahawks were working a trade with Packers too per John Schnieder.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2890217-schefter-packers-didnt-need-to-trade-up-to-pick-jordan-love-in-2020-nfl-draft

After reading about sources post draft this is what I had come to believe.

And giving up that 4th cost us the chip needed for a WR in round 2

HarveyWallbangers
05-05-2020, 07:58 PM
Firstly, there’s no way of knowing. The Colts aren’t going to let anybody know that they liked Love more than Eason. Secondly, it doesn’t really matter. The Packers have been criticized by people on this forum for not trading up when somebody people have liked have been available to trade up for. Just because it wasn’t for a player you wanted, don’t be hypocritical.

sharpe1027
05-05-2020, 08:12 PM
Maybe the Packers didn't even like Aiyuk. This article is pure speculation written as fact.

GB-Brandon
05-05-2020, 08:37 PM
Well one thing for certain is Gute is super aggressive so right now he needs to “get aggressive” and go get us another receiver.

I’ve heard rumors of a trade for Ju Ju Smith. Hope it’s true.

Bretsky
05-05-2020, 08:49 PM
Well one thing for certain is Gute is super aggressive so right now he needs to “get aggressive” and go get us another receiver.

I’ve heard rumors of a trade for Ju Ju Smith. Hope it’s true.

Was reported last night that JuJu is on the market. But one year left on his contract. And he'd be tough to sign next year.

ThunderDan
05-05-2020, 08:57 PM
Was reported last night that JuJu is on the market. But one year left on his contract. And he'd be tough to sign next year.

We don't have the cap space to sign our own next year. If we traded for JuJu I assume it would be a one and done.

Bretsky
05-05-2020, 08:59 PM
We don't have the cap space to sign our own next year. If we traded for JuJu I assume it would be a one and done.

Great point and how much can you give up for a one and done ? Probably not what Pitt wants

ThunderDan
05-05-2020, 09:01 PM
Great point and how much can you give up for a one and done ? Probably not what Pitt wants

We could give a 3rd and 6th. Pitt would get a 4th next year if he walked after 2020.

texaspackerbacker
05-05-2020, 09:13 PM
Juju would just be more of what we already have - a pretty good but not very fast WR. I'd still like to see us get a speed guy, but we absolutely don't need just more of the same.

ThunderDan
05-05-2020, 09:14 PM
If you think JuJu compares to anyone on our roster but Adams you are completely ignorant.

GB-Brandon
05-05-2020, 09:21 PM
Juju would just be more of what we already have - a pretty good but not very fast WR. I'd still like to see us get a speed guy, but we absolutely don't need just more of the same.

Absolutely Not and please don’t insult him that way. He can get separation and “get open”. He has tons of “chunk plays”

That is not more of what we have.

pbmax
05-05-2020, 11:13 PM

There is no mention of the Seahawks in this article.

pbmax
05-05-2020, 11:14 PM
After reading about sources post draft this is what I had come to believe.

And giving up that 4th cost us the chip needed for a WR in round 2

I'd like the pick back, but you have NO idea if they would have grabbed a WR.

GB-Brandon
05-06-2020, 11:28 AM
There is no mention of the Seahawks in this article.

There ya go. I don’t make things up.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/4/23/21234063/seattle-seahawks-trade-down-green-bay-packers-drafting-jordyn-brooks-2020-nfl-draft-news

pbmax
05-06-2020, 01:15 PM
There ya go. I don’t make things up.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/4/23/21234063/seattle-seahawks-trade-down-green-bay-packers-drafting-jordyn-brooks-2020-nfl-draft-news

The other story of the Colts possibly not moving up is more damning. This just means the target wasn't the Seahawks.

Gute says he got a better deal. Was that the one pick higher or less compensation? Who knows.

GB-Brandon
05-06-2020, 01:30 PM
The other story of the Colts possibly not moving up is more damning. This just means the target wasn't the Seahawks.

Gute says he got a better deal. Was that the one pick higher or less compensation? Who knows.

I think the Packer brain trust believes they got the “2nd coming of Patrick Mahommes” and they weren’t gonna take any chance of not getting him once he became available in lower 20’s. They had to have him.

Time will tell.

pbmax
05-06-2020, 01:46 PM
I think the Packer brain trust believes they got the “2nd coming of Patrick Mahommes” and they weren’t gonna take any chance of not getting him once he became available in lower 20’s. They had to have him.

Time will tell.

That is entirely possible.

Zool
05-06-2020, 01:48 PM
That is entirely possible.

Seems like the most likely scenario to me. They fell in love with a guy they thought they had no chance of getting. It's going to be a tenure defining pick.

pbmax
05-06-2020, 01:50 PM
Seems like the most likely scenario to me. They fell in love with a guy they thought they had no chance of getting. It's going to be a tenure defining pick.

The trade up is what kills me about it.

At least it wasn't a punter.

GB-Brandon
05-06-2020, 02:09 PM

Once again if you think your getting a “Patrick Mahommes Level Talent” what’s a 4th round pick?

This Love guy is gonna be watched so so closely with eye balls on every move. It will be interesting how a kid playing at Utah State and basically under the radar will handle this pressure. If things don’t start off at least in the good direction the wheels could come off quickly. Many say the Browns destroyed Kizer’s psyche forever and killed him mentally making him toast. There are a lot of unknown doors too this whole thing. I am also very curious too how far the Packers played this whole tape. I’m hoping and excited to get see him at camp this summer.

The time element of waiting is what makes a lot of this so difficult.

call_me_ishmael
05-06-2020, 03:09 PM
I don't mind the pick at all but I really dislike the Mahomes comparison because the odds of that actually playing out are just astronomical. If it's just a "pro-bowl level talent that can consistently lead a good org to the playoffs" I think we'd all be overjoyed. Mahomes may be the best QB ever when all is said and done, as crazy as that sounds when Peyton Manning and Tom Brady exist.

Zool
05-06-2020, 03:12 PM
Once again if you think your getting a “Patrick Mahommes Level Talent” what’s a 4th round pick?

This Love guy is gonna be watched so so closely with eye balls on every move. It will be interesting how a kid playing at Utah State and basically under the radar will handle this pressure. If things don’t start off at least in the good direction the wheels could come off quickly. Many say the Browns destroyed Kizer’s psyche forever and killed him mentally making him toast. There are a lot of unknown doors too this whole thing. I am also very curious too how far the Packers played this whole tape. I’m hoping and excited to get see him at camp this summer.

David Carr is still twitching in a corner somewhere.

pbmax
05-06-2020, 03:24 PM

Gute and you and everyone on this board knows that there is no guarantee. Except that the 4th round OL they would have selected would be a 4 year starter.

pbmax
05-06-2020, 03:25 PM
Back to the OP, Bretsky could get a job writing terribly leaning poll questions if he ever needs a side hustle.

mraynrand
05-06-2020, 05:57 PM

Just close your eyes and think of Bill Ferrario.

pbmax
05-07-2020, 07:59 AM
Just close your eyes and think of Bill Ferrario.

If the World League had continued to exists, Bill Ferrario would be a Pro Bowler.

run pMc
05-07-2020, 11:23 AM
Jordan Love is not Mahomes. He's got some similar traits, but the sound bite that's going around about him being like Mahomes was taken out of context.

I wasn't a fan of giving up the 4th because they could have used it to either draft a player or use with their 2nd rounder to move a few spots up and take one of the remaining WRs on their board. Giving up two picks for one player can work out (Clay Matthews) but can also mean you've really spent a lot for a bust (Spriggs). If Love pans out and becomes a top 12 NFL QB (above average) it's worth it because you can build talent around that guy and win, but not if they keep trading up.

Smidgeon
05-07-2020, 12:23 PM
Jordan Love is not Mahomes. He's got some similar traits, but the sound bite that's going around about him being like Mahomes was taken out of context.

I wasn't a fan of giving up the 4th because they could have used it to either draft a player or use with their 2nd rounder to move a few spots up and take one of the remaining WRs on their board. Giving up two picks for one player can work out (Clay Matthews) but can also mean you've really spent a lot for a bust (Spriggs). If Love pans out and becomes a top 12 NFL QB (above average) it's worth it because you can build talent around that guy and win, but not if they keep trading up.

Grade C-

"Calling him a project is a major understatement. He's nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he's going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick."
^Regarding Patrick Mahomes in 2017.

Love may not be Mahomes now, but it isn't decidedly out of the question that he might be similar. The odds are against him, but you can't come to any conclusions this early about what he will be. Let him develop it and get to where he needs to be first.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2020, 11:21 PM
Hmmm... read this on footballs future. Bretsky, give proof this isn’t true.

The Chiefs GM Brett Veach was asked about if he thought about trading out of the 1st round and if he had any offer to do so. He said that they were very active in the back half of the first round with teams early in the second that were interested in trading back into the 1st if their player was still there. He said after Jordan Love was selected the calls stopped coming and they end up drafting the highest player on their board in Clyde Edwards-Helaire.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2020, 11:26 PM
Validation

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/draft/veach-breaks-down-clyde-edwards-helaire-pick

pbmax
05-08-2020, 07:47 AM
Predict I will now reference this find 450 times before Love's fourth year.

Bretsky
05-08-2020, 07:33 PM
Hmmm... read this on footballs future. Bretsky, give proof this isn’t true.

So what you are saying is teams were willing to move to pick 32 because he was draftable there ? :)))))

I get the point. Maybe others were interested.

Only time will tell if he was worth a 1st and pick and a 4th round pick.

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2020, 12:51 AM
So what you are saying is teams were willing to move to pick 32 because he was draftable there ? :)))))

I get the point. Maybe others were interested.

Only time will tell if he was worth a 1st and pick and a 4th round pick.

What I'm pointing out is that there just may have been interest from other teams to trade back into the first round to draft him. People acting like the Packers for sure didn't have to trade up to get him is nonsense--because nobody knows. That's all. Is he worth it? We'll see, but wasting time machinating whether or not the Packers could have drafted him at #30 is completely worthless. He's either going to be worth #26 and the 4th OR not worth even the #26. I don't think throwing in the 4th round pick is going to matter one bit in retrospect four years from now.

ThunderDan
05-09-2020, 08:45 AM
What I'm pointing out is that there just may have been interest from other teams to trade back into the first round to draft him. People acting like the Packers for sure didn't have to trade up to get him is nonsense--because nobody knows. That's all. Is he worth it? We'll see, but wasting time machinating whether or not the Packers could have drafted him at #30 is completely worthless. He's either going to be worth #26 and the 4th OR not worth even the #26. I don't think throwing in the 4th round pick is going to matter one bit in retrospect four years from now.
If the 4th round pick is Martinez, Bach or Tretter. It hurts s lot to give that up. If it is J'mon Moore not so much.

Bretsky
05-09-2020, 09:25 AM
If the 4th round pick is Martinez, Bach or Tretter. It hurts s lot to give that up. If it is J'mon Moore not so much.

IIMO what we gave up in round 4 was the ability to move up in round 2 in get a WR. It sounds like we tried; we just couldn't agree on the price. I think the 4th round pick was what was needed.

GB-Brandon
05-09-2020, 02:12 PM
IIMO what we gave up in round 4 was the ability to move up in round 2 in get a WR. It sounds like we tried; we just couldn't agree on the price. I think the 4th round pick was what was needed.

I said it another thread which is “A Day Late And A Dollar Short.” We constantly hear about all these “Moves” that Gute was in on like getting Mack or E. Sanders in a trade. It’s like things get a little heavy to “finish the deal” and Gute gets scared and backs off.

We need someone like J. Dorsey that isn’t afraid to “Closee The Deal”

Zool
05-09-2020, 07:40 PM

Assuming that they were even targeting a WR in round 2 you mean?

GB-Brandon
05-09-2020, 07:45 PM
Assuming that they were even targeting a WR in round 2 you mean?

That’s just it. The arrogance of the whole thing. Everyone and there brother knew this was a stacked receiving class. If Gute really didn’t believe none of the 36 receivers drafted couldn’t help us(with our current receiver group in mind) then we need to seriously start questioning the scouting department.

Zool
05-09-2020, 07:47 PM
I’ll just watch football. Last time I was in a meeting with a Murphy and Packers HR to discuss their hiring practices, they slapped me with a restraining order.