PDA

View Full Version : WHAT ARE THE GREEN BAY PACKERS ??

Bretsky
05-09-2020, 09:32 AM
There's only one team who wins the last game of the year. How do you categorize the current Green Bay Packers ???? Let's get some tassling in here :))) !!!!

Super Bowl Contenders---Championship or Bust, and we're getting one in the next 5 years

Super Bowl Pretenders----Playoff Teases, Good Enough to Slip in most every year but not complete enough to have a chance to win it all

Super Bowl Frauds--------This team is moving in the wrong direction. A Fart in the Wind is very far away

Bretsky
05-09-2020, 09:34 AM
P.S. Don't be a p@ssy and refuse to take a stand and say we're somewhere in between :)))

Joemailman
05-09-2020, 09:43 AM
Contender. Now, for that to happen, I think Pettine will need to change his approach some but I think it will happen. 49ers are clearly the favorite in the NFC, but I think the Packers are the equal of anyone else. I think the defensive embarrassment against the 49ers last year had as much to do with scheme as it did with personnel.

pbmax
05-09-2020, 10:59 AM
What is the difference between pretender and fraud? Self awareness of your limitations?

mraynrand
05-09-2020, 11:00 AM
Contender. But they’ve gotta have some moxie like they did in 2010. Woodson, fearless Rodgers, Clay, the desperate veteran (Driver). The coach who will say “I’ll play ‘em in a parking lot” the defensive back who will chant “1,2,3 ‘White House’”. Etc. lotta intangibles go into winning it all. Has to fall in place. But need those special leaders and elite performances when it matters.

GB-Brandon
05-09-2020, 02:02 PM
I say “Super Bowl Pretenders”. It’s been yearly talk that started with McCarthy always talking “Super Bowls” and “High Hopes”. This team over the last 10 years has been built to be just good enough to compete while mostly playing it safe. Rodgers has spent years covering up all the bad decisions and warts from the front office. He also covered up years of failed “Game Management” by McCarthy. He also covered a DC that became incompetent. Without Aaron Rodgers the last ten years this a team and franchise that mirrors the Cleveland Browns.

2015 was our big shot which could of changed the whole direction of everything. The Green Bay Packers are “MASSIVE HEART-BREAKERS.” They LOVE TO BREAK YOUR HEART!!! They have failed to make that “game changing move” like they did with Reggie White or Charles Woodson. It’s the same damn thing this year which is basically do enough to be competitive. Win some games and get everyone’s hopes up just to get blown out in a playoff game or lose a “HEART-BREAKER”

They need to make the “big move”. Whether it’s singing J. Clowney or trading for a legit receiver it is what needs to be done to help push us over the top. Otherwise we’re just “Pretnders” and “Heartbreakers”

GB-Brandon
05-09-2020, 02:04 PM
We just appear to be a day late and dollar short and it’s frustrating. :bang:

GB-Brandon
05-09-2020, 02:17 PM
If you want to have “A CHAMPIONSHIP MIND-SET” then you need to back it up with “CHAMPIONSHIP MOVES”

That isn’t what’s going on around here. It’s like we’re saving up and planning for a rainy day. Some people call me “doom and gloom” but technically predicting and saving for a rainy day indirectly is the same damn thing.

GB-Brandon
05-09-2020, 03:16 PM
Also, sometimes I feel Mark Murphy and Co. are more interested in building out “Title-Town District” then winning CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Bretsky
05-09-2020, 05:14 PM
been saying this for years; AROD's combo of talent and decision making...aka...no turnovers....normally gets us to 8 wins each year so we slip into the playoffs. Then we find out we aren't good enough to win it all. Teases.

After last year's Free Agency I thought we were going all in. But the drafts IMO .....another story

Bretsky
05-09-2020, 05:15 PM
Also, sometimes I feel Mark Murphy and Co. are more interested in building out “Title-Town District” then winning CHAMPIONSHIPS.

That is an interesting statement from a local GB guy; I wonder of others feel the same about Marcia

Teamcheez1
05-09-2020, 05:44 PM
been saying this for years; AROD's combo of talent and decision making...aka...no turnovers....normally gets us to 8 wins each year so we slip into the playoffs. Then we find out we aren't good enough to win it all. Teases.

After last year's Free Agency I thought we were going all in. But the drafts IMO .....another story

Is Rodger's all in? We have our strengths/weaknesses, but we a puncher's chance if he's willing to buy into the system. He was put on notice with this year's draft and the ship may have already sailed according to the current management.

pbmax
05-09-2020, 05:48 PM
Is Rodger's all in? We have our strengths/weaknesses, but we a puncher's chance if he's willing to buy into the system. He was put on notice with this year's draft and the ship may have already sailed according to the current management.

Then they were fools to bring in the coach they did and keep the QB.

They should have met, redid the contract and traded him. Otherwise, its 2 years of wasted development of Love and the core veteran group on the team.

They'd be idiots for this to be the plan. I don't think they are that cunning or dumb.

GB-Brandon
05-09-2020, 07:29 PM

Exactly! People have learned to take this for granted. It will be a “painful reality” when they start losing the turnover battle and it further exposes the roster.

Zool
05-09-2020, 07:43 PM
I’d say they are a National Football League franchise.

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2020, 10:21 PM
I'm calling it right now. 2021 Super Bowl Champiions!

texaspackerbacker
05-09-2020, 10:30 PM
Aaron Rodgers alone, even at his age, would put us in the upper third or fourth of the league even if there was mediocrity pretty much with all other position groups. And we are way better than mediocre in a lot of areas - near the top in pass rush, above average in D Backs, top level in RBs, according to most, above average in our O Line. Arguably our receivers are still pretty mediocre (I'd say slightly above average), and our run D has been deficient more than it has been good.

All of that adds up to top tier with as good a chance as anybody at this stage of going to/winning the Super Bowl.

wist43
05-10-2020, 07:25 AM
Pretenders...

Gute has done exactly what TT did, i.e. made enough moves to elevate us to a 9-7/10-6 team - then just stay in our lane and draft.

The offensive philosophy has changed in that we are targetting different types of players, but overall the TT formula for a perpetual 9-10 win team is evident.

The focus is always on 3-5 years down the line, any push toward a SB is a "fart in the wind".

sharpe1027
05-10-2020, 10:03 AM
I picked pretenders, but think they have a shot. I just can't guarantee it'll work out. It's really between contenders and pretenders. I see them consistently in the playoffs, which gives them a chance.

red
05-10-2020, 01:49 PM
Pretender

I don’t think we’re good enough to win it all

Last season all the star lined up for us, we won games we shouldn’t have and had almost no injuries

I just don’t see everything going right for us again like last season

Our window is shut imo

GB-Brandon
05-10-2020, 01:57 PM
Pretender

I don’t think we’re good enough to win it all

Last season all the star lined up for us, we won games we shouldn’t have and had almost no injuries

I just don’t see everything going right for us again like last season

Our window is shut imo

So So True. We didn’t really dominate anybody. Lots of balls and calls went our way. The level of overall health was unreal.

Rodgers knew this and basically stated it heading into and during playoff run in so many ways.

GB-Brandon
05-10-2020, 02:06 PM
The big hope was that this offseason the Packers were gonna go “All-In” and get some more pieces and hope for some growth in the 2nd year of this LaFluer Scheme.

Instead they went in a completely different direction.

Radagast
05-10-2020, 03:00 PM
Here it is just may and already the evaluation of the 2020 Packers has begun?

Some have actually started predicting the Packers success/failure in 2020. While still others focus on offensive or defensive areas even before TC and how they see these parts of the not yet formed roster.

Most don't even mention that LaFleur and Pettine have in a relatively short time turned around a faltering GB team that saw M.McCarthy terminated before the end of the 2018 season. They did far better than most had thought they would. Furthermore, I don't see the Packers rebuilding at all, rather they are evolving into Packers that have been/are using an offensive that's clearly different from past systems. Additionally, FA personal added before last season proved to be a shot in the arm for the Packer defense that showed marked improvement.

Every team is a contender at this time of the year. A better question might be will the Regular NFL season start as already scheduled or could a 2nd or even 3rd wave of Covid-19 preclude games this fall? As a fan and a concerned citizen I hope for a return to a more normal way of life before then, but much could depend on factors as yet unforeseen.

GB-Brandon
05-10-2020, 04:08 PM
Here it is just may and already the evaluation of the 2020 Packers has begun?

Some have actually started predicting the Packers success/failure in 2020. While still others focus on offensive or defensive areas even before TC and how they see these parts of the not yet formed roster.

Most don't even mention that LaFleur and Pettine have in a relatively short time turned around a faltering GB team that saw M.McCarthy terminated before the end of the 2018 season. They did far better than most had thought they would. Furthermore, I don't see the Packers rebuilding at all, rather they are evolving into Packers that have been/are using an offensive that's clearly different from past systems. Additionally, FA personal added before last season proved to be a shot in the arm for the Packer defense that showed marked improvement.

Every team is a contender at this time of the year. A better question might be will the Regular NFL season start as already scheduled or could a 2nd or even 3rd wave of Covid-19 preclude games this fall? As a fan and a concerned citizen I hope for a return to a more normal way of life before then, but much could depend on factors as yet unforeseen.

I’m not so certain the season will go as planned. Here in Green Bay the virus is just starting to peak. I’ve called off family night because I don’t believe we’re gonna go from not being able to currently even get a hair cut too packing 80k fans at Lambeau for family gatherings and giant scrimmage in less then 90 days.

texaspackerbacker
05-10-2020, 08:46 PM
It's good this poll was put out there now. It says a helluva lot more about the posters voting than it says about the team. Somehow I'm not shocked that almost half as of now don't have the ....... whatever it takes to be realistically positive about the home team. Glancing at the votes, it seems that the usual suspects make up most of the negative voters.

George Cumby
05-11-2020, 08:54 PM
Tex, as we have otherwise established, you're a "Fan", keep polishing that turd.

Pretender.

They are decent to good.

Rodgers has fallen off, receivers are suspect, defense doesn't know enough to play hard one game from the SB, LaFleur might have been more lucky than good last year.

They'll make the playoffs more than likely, but won't make the Show.

Upnorth
05-11-2020, 09:23 PM
I dont see anyone in the nfcn dethroning us so i gotta go with contender.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 09:50 PM
I dont see anyone in the nfcn dethroning us so i gotta go with contender.

The Bears will be the biggest challenge now that they have a competent QB in Foles. There roster is better then ours from top to bottom.

It will be no easy ride.

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 09:52 PM
Also remember we have had a hard time with Detroit. We beat them twice last year and didn’t lead one second of either game.

Not sure we will get as lucky.

Zool
05-11-2020, 10:28 PM
The Bears will be the biggest challenge now that they have a competent QB in Foles. There roster is better then ours from top to bottom.

It will be no easy ride.

You take Nick Foles out of Philly and he’s actually pretty bad. Maybe it’s the green uniforms, I don’t know.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FoleNi00.htm

GB-Brandon
05-11-2020, 11:57 PM
You take Nick Foles out of Philly and he’s actually pretty bad. Maybe it’s the green uniforms, I don’t know.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FoleNi00.htm

Did you not see Trubisky play? They have surrounded him with so many weapons. Trubisky has been the Achilles Heel of that team. I expect Foles to have success with all that firepower. They have good RB’s and are 6 deep at receiver. Nagy has all kinds of different weaponry he can now scheme with Foles. This is a scary team for us. We’re gonna need to score more points this time around thats for sure.

Zool
05-12-2020, 07:44 AM
Did you not see Trubisky play? They have surrounded him with so many weapons. Trubisky has been the Achilles Heel of that team. I expect Foles to have success with all that firepower. They have good RB’s and are 6 deep at receiver. Nagy has all kinds of different weaponry he can now scheme with Foles. This is a scary team for us. We’re gonna need to score more points this time around thats for sure.

I have seen him play. I've also watched Foles play in St Louis, Kansas City, and Jacksonville. By his 8th season, he should have been able to beat out Gardner Minshew after he came back from injury.

Upnorth
05-12-2020, 07:57 AM
While foles maybe a slight upgrade from the turd (maybe more but that is not what his carrer says outside from one philly run like flacco in baltimores second sb) there d regressed last year to normal from the 2018 spike.
Vikings took a large step back on d and replaced a top wr with a rookie and rookies can only do so much outside of rb.
You are right about Detroit being our challenge but they played up against us last year while we played down imo. I dont think we sweep the north this year but do think we only lose 1, that being @ detroit.
While we have all been going on about closing the gap vrs sf, I also believe this draft helps us vrs the bears and lions which is important as well.

mraynrand
05-12-2020, 08:20 AM
^^^^. CHICAGO IS SIX DEEP AT WR!!!!!!

mraynrand
05-12-2020, 08:24 AM
PATTERSON! WIMS! GINN!!! (THANKSTED).

RIDLEY! ROBINSON!!! ALLEN!!

OMG! The Packer D will just WITHER under their onslaught! Don’t even watch the games. It’s. Already. over.

mraynrand
05-12-2020, 08:25 AM
DEEP SIX

GB-Brandon
05-12-2020, 09:18 AM
PATTERSON! WIMS! GINN!!! (THANKSTED).

RIDLEY! ROBINSON!!! ALLEN!!

OMG! The Packer D will just WITHER under their onslaught! Don’t even watch the games. It’s. Already. over.

You left out Anthony Miller

pbmax
05-12-2020, 09:27 AM
^^^^. CHICAGO IS EIGHT DEEP AT TE!!!!!!

FIFY

mraynrand
05-12-2020, 09:36 AM
OMG! EVERY OTHER TEAM HAS GOTTEN BETTER! THE PACKERS ARE COLLAPSING! HELP! HELP!

mraynrand
05-12-2020, 09:36 AM
You left out Anthony Miller

CHICAGO IS SEVEN DEEP AT WR!!!!

ThunderDan
05-12-2020, 10:22 AM
I think we win the North and punch a ticket to the playoffs. After that anything can happen.

If the playoffs were best of 7 series I would say we are Pretenders, but for 1 game we can beat anyone in the NFL.

GB-Brandon
05-12-2020, 11:02 AM
CHICAGO IS SEVEN DEEP AT WR!!!!

Don’t forget about the versatile Tarik Cohen.

GB-Brandon
05-12-2020, 11:12 AM
The biggest problem I see is the “Contradicting Narrative” which is We’re Gonna Run The Ball because Aaron is regressing and calling too many audibles when the reality is Aaron has been the one who got us over the hump to win a lot these games in the past. Rodgers might of been the “Greatest Equalizer” of all time.

It will be very very interesting to see how this plays out.

Regardless; we have a ton of question marks waiting to be answered.

RashanGary
05-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Pff put out a top 25 under 25 years old list. Clark and Alexander come in at 11 and 20 on the list. Not bad for a trash organization that doesn't know what they're doing.

GB-Brandon
05-12-2020, 11:17 AM
Pff put out a top 25 under 25 years old list. Clark and Alexander come in at 11 and 20 on the list. Not bad for a trash organization that doesn't know what they're doing.

Both very good players that their somehow gonna have to sign at some point. Should of capitalized on them NOW!!

GB-Brandon
05-12-2020, 11:34 AM
Towards the end of the game with the game in balance all these fans that don’t appreciate Rodgers and have this delusional thought process that are weapons are as good as everyone else’s will be on the edge of there seat hoping and praying Rodgers comes through and somehow saves us. Then at some point he won’t and everyone will say he is washed up when Rodgers never really had a chance.

So all this is “CONJECTURE”

mraynrand
05-12-2020, 12:12 PM
Towards the end of the game with the game in balance all these fans that don’t appreciate Rodgers and have this delusional thought process that are weapons are as good as everyone else’s will be on the edge of there seat hoping and praying Rodgers comes through and somehow saves us. Then at some point he won’t and everyone will say he is washed up when Rodgers never really had a chance.

So all this is “CONJECTURE”

If Rodgers never even had a chance then they won’t be in many games into the fourth quarter.

Same if he’s washed up

Teams generally do poorly with poor QB play. See the Chicago Bears for examples.

Upnorth
05-12-2020, 02:34 PM
our weapons arent as good as some but better than others. You combine our wrs and rbs and te i say we are a solid average.

GB-Brandon
05-12-2020, 02:44 PM
our weapons arent as good as some but better than others. You combine our wrs and rbs and te i say we are a solid average.

I would go along with that but would add there is zero margin for any injuries other then maybe at RB.

RashanGary
05-12-2020, 03:18 PM

I'm excited to see Lazard. More of a possession WR like James Jones was, but Aaron likes him.

Then we need one of Funchess, MVS and EQ to play well and we have a decent unit.

We'll see how it pans out, but with likely improvements from so many young guys and the deep RB stable, we have a shot.

TE is a huge question mark with so much youth. We'll see how that pans out.

Upnorth
05-12-2020, 06:54 PM
if we ignore te i think we are above average. With te just average as they are an unknown due to sge like you said rg

RashanGary
05-12-2020, 06:58 PM
if we ignore te i think we are above average. With te just average as they are an unknown due to sge like you said rg

I'm an unrealistically hopeful packer fan. I'll admit that. I can't help but envision Sternberger and Deguara being physical dudes who like to mix it up. But realistically, I have to acknowledge that's a huge question mark! I do have hope though. Other than draft picks only panning out 1/3 of the time, I have no reason to think those guys can't play, so I'm still over here hoping!

Bretsky
05-12-2020, 10:23 PM
I'm an unrealistically hopeful packer fan. I'll admit that. I can't help but envision Sternberger and Deguara being physical dudes who like to mix it up. But realistically, I have to acknowledge that's a huge question mark! I do have hope though. Other than draft picks only panning out 1/3 of the time, I have no reason to think those guys can't play, so I'm still over here hoping!

I'm more concerned about the WR's than the TE position

RashanGary
05-13-2020, 11:02 AM
I'm more concerned about the WR's than the TE position

Lazard looked pretty good, no? 477 yards in about half a season with the arrow pointing up.

Funchess, MVS and EQ..... I have to think a 3 will emerge from that.

But then again, I thought MVS would advance last year and we ended up lucking out and getting Lazard to perform just well enough instead.

Realistically, it could go both ways, but I guess as a Kool aid drinking packer fan, I always envision the good stuff coming

pbmax
05-13-2020, 02:57 PM
Funchess, MVS and EQ..... I have to think a 3 will emerge from that.

Are you ranking on a 10 point scale? Because a 3 is pretty harsh.

RashanGary
05-13-2020, 09:00 PM

A #3 receiver. I was saying Lazard is a good bet to be the #2 and solid at it. And we'll get a #3 wr out of the group behind him.

Bretsky
05-13-2020, 09:19 PM

Is that a combined score. In other words on the one to ten scale each of them are about 1.5 ?

Bretsky
05-13-2020, 09:20 PM
A #3 receiver. I was saying Lazard is a good bet to be the #2 and solid at it. And we'll get a #3 wr out of the group behind him.

How many top 3 tandems do you think we are better than ?

mraynrand
05-13-2020, 09:42 PM

You’ve asked this before. It’s an interesting question, but I don’t think you can answer it independent of the rest of the offense, especially QB (what is the offensive emphasis, what does the QB like to run, typically run etc) But worth a look. I’ll do a new thread on it if I get a chance. Of course Someone else can start it though if they like.

pbmax
05-13-2020, 10:00 PM
Is that a combined score. In other words on the one to ten scale each of them are about 1.5 ?

If you stick MVS, ESB and Kumerow into The Fly's (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091064/) transportation chamber and have an "accident", you'd have a hell of a receiver.

call_me_ishmael
05-14-2020, 12:11 AM

Probably zero. I really think Devante Adams is one of the most overrated players in the league. Seems like few agree with me so I am probably wrong, though.

RashanGary
05-14-2020, 03:49 PM

Last year I had hope for MVS and assumed WR would be ok. I was wrong.

This year, I actually do see Lazard as a quality player and expect him to be an 800 yard per season James Jones sort of asset.

After that, I think one of ESB, MVS and Funchise is likely to be a quality #3.

So in short, I think our receivers will be solid. I was wrong last year though and I do tend to lean toward optimism so I could be wrong again.

What ever happened to you being the leader of the realistic optimists??

GB-Brandon
05-14-2020, 04:30 PM

This year, I actually do see Lazard as a quality player and expect him to be an 800 yard per season James Jones sort of asset.

So in short, I think our receivers will be solid. I was wrong last year though and I do tend to lean toward optimism so I could be wrong again.

For me the years have just piled up high and heavy in a row of this actually working. I think the Packers have just worn a lot of their fans out with this pie in the sky approach of building a formidable receiving Corp. Some of those guys you listed could make some sort of jump but for me it has just become less and less believable.

texaspackerbacker
05-14-2020, 07:01 PM

Good Post/Good Point of View.

I'd say 80/20 in favor of this being more accurate when all is said and done than the stupid panicky negativist shit that several in here can seem to stop posting.

RashanGary
05-14-2020, 07:03 PM
Does anyone else remember when bretsky started the realistic optimists group..... What the hell happened to that bretsky!?

Bretsky
05-14-2020, 07:08 PM
Does anyone else remember when bretsky started the realistic optimists group..... What the hell happened to that bretsky!?

I think I'm the same

Many of you have just changed to a bunch of Kool Aide Fluffy's :))))

mraynrand
05-14-2020, 08:55 PM
I think I'm the same

Many of you have just changed to a bunch of Kool Aide Fluffy's :))))

Are you gonna sing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXWvKDSwvls