PDA

View Full Version : CBA and salary cap question

red
05-13-2020, 12:23 PM
What happens to the cap in 2021 if teams have to play in empty stadiums this year?

I heard on the radio yesterday that because of the way the NBA cba is structured, if they were to cancel the rest of the current season, next years salary cap would go way down, throwing most teams into cap he’ll

Could this happen to the nfl? Even if they do play but have to do it in empty stadiums, that’s still a huge chunk of money being lost by teams

Patler
05-13-2020, 01:34 PM
More than half of their revenue comes from broadcast rights, which would still be there if they play with or without fans. Game day revenue would be gone, but so would much of their game day expense. It would certainly be a difficult year, but likely manageable.

As for the salary cap, if needed, I suspect players and management will negotiate league wide wage cuts, a cap freeze, a compromised cap calculation or combinations thereof to make it work for 2020 and 2021.

RashanGary
05-13-2020, 01:44 PM
I kind of thought that too, Patler. Would be interesting if the players held firm and the league died and xfl took off. You never know what could happen.

red
05-13-2020, 03:46 PM
I kind of thought that too, Patler. Would be interesting if the players held firm and the league died and xfl took off. You never know what could happen.

Didn’t the xfl already die? Or are they gonna try again next year?

KYPack
05-13-2020, 04:10 PM
Didn’t the xfl already die? Or are they gonna try again next year?

It died.

the ratings followed a similar arc of XFL I.

Strong out of the gate, but down down thereafter

They reserved the right to come back, but few observers think it will.

run pMc
05-13-2020, 04:12 PM

If the players didn't want to play, they'd try to replace the players before the league would fold. The owners are billionaires and have sunk a lot of money into this, plus those TV contracts aren't going to go away. It basically would be like watching the XFL except with NFL uniforms. I would expect the NFLPA and owners to negotiate some kind of deal or freeze the cap in place.

I'm not really sure why the players wouldn't want to play, unless there wasn't any attempt at taking precautions -- and that would reflect badly on Goodell, the league, and the owners.

smuggler
05-13-2020, 06:08 PM
My understanding of the current CBA is that the cap will be affected, but only in the short term. It would, in theory, apply to the 2022 free agency period. They may intervene to keep it from dropping too drastically.

Sparkey
05-13-2020, 08:48 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, but I am guessing that they come up with a way for teams to stretch the cap hits of the top so many players over a short period so that teams are not forced to cut players.

There is no way the players union would agree to current contracts being reduced.

pbmax
05-13-2020, 09:51 PM
My understanding of the current CBA is that the cap will be affected, but only in the short term. It would, in theory, apply to the 2022 free agency period. They may intervene to keep it from dropping too drastically.

Unless forced on them by timing or other situation, I doubt the owners will let the situation fester all of 2020. They'll adjust this years cap to some degree.

The interesting questions will be quarantining players and staff AND what happens to shared revenue if some teams don't have fans.

texaspackerbacker
05-14-2020, 12:48 AM
Not to bring politics into it hahahaha, but the government is bailing out a whole lot of things. If in fact the seats really are empty, I'd be surprised if they didn't throw a few billion the NFL's way.

Upnorth
05-14-2020, 02:04 PM
So the Canadian government is not giving money to the cfl (yet) so they are looking at asking for donations to stay afloat. #1 target is the nfl. So maybe your tax dollars can save the CFL...

Rastak
05-16-2020, 08:12 PM
Not to bring politics into it hahahaha, but the government is bailing out a whole lot of things. If in fact the seats really are empty, I'd be surprised if they didn't throw a few billion the NFL's way.

The head of the government,sued the NFL and got a fully erect dick up his ass. You think so?

ThunderDan
05-16-2020, 08:19 PM
The head of the government,sued the NFL and got a fully erect dick up his ass. You think so?

He got $4.

Rastak
05-16-2020, 08:28 PM
He got $4.

I thought it was 3. Plus the dick.

ThunderDan
05-17-2020, 07:24 AM
I thought it was 3. Plus the dick.
You are right, it was $3. They won $1 but damages were tripled.

pbmax
05-17-2020, 08:29 AM
You will not regret reading this:

https://www.amazon.com/Football-Buck-Crazy-Crazier-Demise/dp/0544454383

Anti-Polar Bear
05-17-2020, 09:26 AM

Yeah, let's give billionaire pigs even more free frogskins. Governments have already handed out trillions to the pig owners, mostly as stadium subsidies. Times like these ("you learn to live again; learn to give and give again; learn to love again"), let the pigs to pay out of their own greed-fucked pockets. If a pig can't make payroll, well, let his firm crumble into the abyss of oblivion - for the love of laissez-faire capitalism!

texaspackerbacker
05-17-2020, 12:37 PM
APB, of all the shit that has happened in this whole corona debacle, the stealing of our sports is the thing I hate the worst. And I think I speak for a very large segment of the population in saying that. If throwing some government money at the mess prevents further disruption like the salary cap hell some have freaked out about, then do it - maintain normalcy and stem the tide of the shit.

red
05-17-2020, 03:44 PM
you guys are gonna get this thread moved too, and its an honest thread

florio had a good article on it yesterday, hit most of my points

he things they might end up spreading the loss over multiple years, so the cap doesn't go up by as much in future years, but wont go down next season

he mentioned that teams aren't gonna want to cut all their good players that they have already given money to up front

Rastak
05-17-2020, 06:30 PM
you guys are gonna get this thread moved too, and its an honest thread

florio had a good article on it yesterday, hit most of my points

he things they might end up spreading the loss over multiple years, so the cap doesn't go up by as much in future years, but wont go down next season

he mentioned that teams aren't gonna want to cut all their good players that they have already given money to up front

I think both players and owners have a stake in this.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-17-2020, 06:41 PM
APB, of all the shit that has happened in this whole corona debacle, the stealing of our sports is the thing I hate the worst. And I think I speak for a very large segment of the population in saying that. If throwing some government money at the mess prevents further disruption like the salary cap hell some have freaked out about, then do it - maintain normalcy and stem the tide of the shit.

Don't want pbmax shipping this thread off to the romper room, so I'll just say this: throwing money at billionaires so they could pay millionaires is pretty fucked.

texaspackerbacker
05-17-2020, 08:52 PM
hahahahaha In the interest of keeping this thread right here, I will refrain from replying.