PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers Press Conference

pbmax
05-15-2020, 02:59 PM
Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky

Aaron Rodgers on a conference call with Packers media said "I like where we're at" in terms of the roster heading into this year.

Aaron Rodgers said his general reaction on the Jordan Love pick was: "Surprise, like many people.:
He added: "Not going to say I was thrilled by the pick necessarily but I understand the organization is thinking about the future and the present."

AR on Jordan Love: "He's not to blame at all ... I'm excited to work with him."

if he still thinks he'll finish his career with the Packers: "What it does is it reinforces the adage that you can only control what you can control.
"That obviously is something that's very important to me."

Aaron Rodgers on working with Jordan Love: "He didn't get asked to be drafted by the Packers. He's not to blame at all. ... Had a good conversation with him the day after the draft. I'm excited to work with him." https://es.pn/2Tad4oP

Rodgers, age 36: "The goal is to play into my 40s. That hasn't changed."

Rodgers on the conference call: "Someone needs to mute that."
He should've been on the call during the draft!

Aaron Rodgers on whether it's safe to play football: "Hope we can use some common sense and make decisions based on the best interests and hope that sports is a part of it." He said it's important to think about the state of the country and its people.

When asked about the returning Packers receivers on the roster and stepping up, Aaron Rodgers began with Allen Lazard. "He's a great teammate and an ascending player. Loved his approach every week."

He indicated he has a small group of SoCal-based players he's worked out with.
Aaron Rodgers said he feels "like a kid throwing the football at the park" during stay-at-home workouts.

falco
05-15-2020, 03:07 PM
Sounds like a pretty thoughtful and pragmatic way to approach it. At least he's handling it professionally, regardless of his feelings behind the scenes.

pbmax
05-15-2020, 03:16 PM
Matt Schneidman @mattschneidman
Aaron Rodgers: "I like what Brian has done. I obviously hope there's a season and hope we get a chance to get back together soon."

Rodgers on the Jordan Love pick: "The general reaction at first was surprised, like many people. I'm not gonna say I was thrilled with the pick."
Rodgers adds that he understands the pick and that Gutekunst has to plan for the present and future.

Rodgers on Love: "He didn't get asked to be drafted by the Packers. He's not to blame at all...I had a good conversation with him the day after the draft. I'm excited to work with him."

Rodgers says finishing his career with the Packers beyond his current contract is still "very important" to him but he understands that's now out of his control. He said he hopes to make a potential decision to move on from him in the future a very hard one for management to make

If he still thinks he'll finish his career with the Packers: "What it does is it reinforces the adage that you can only control what you can control.
"That obviously is something that's very important to me."

Does the Jordan Love pick motivate Aaron Rodgers?
"I've never really needed a ton of external motivation. You always look for one or two things over your career to fire you up."
Says his main motivation is to prove he can be consistent even as he gets older.

Aaron Rodgers, 36 years old: "The goal is obviously to play into my 40s. That hasn't changed."

Loud shrieking noise and someone getting text notifications on their phone during the call because somebody isn't on mute.
Rodgers: "Somebody needs to mute that."

Rodgers: "There's probably not gonna be sky-high expectations for us like last year. At the same time, I think we're gonna be in the mix."

Rodgers name-dropped Equanimeous St. Brown, Allen Lazard, Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Jake Kumerow as returning wide receivers who he expects big things from this coming season.

Rodgers says the Favre/Rodgers and Rodgers/Love situations aren't entirely similar because of "Favre's mindset in 03 and 04" (hinting at retirement) and Rodgers' insistence he wants to play for the Packers beyond his current contract, which has four years left on it.
Rodgers on not having physical workouts: "It's too early to be making any types of predictions in terms of who's gonna be playing where and in what roles."

Rodgers: "It would definitely be a weird situation to not have any fans in the stands and I hope that's not the reality."

Rodgers has said "that's a good question" after almost every question. See, he loves the media.

Aaron Rodgers says he feels like a "kid throwing the football at the park" working out during quarantine.

Aaron Rodgers says Michael Jordan, who has invited Rodgers to play golf in Vegas numerous times, is the GOAT:
"I'd love to debate anybody on that."

Rodgers, after this, added he still feels confident and capable of playing into his 40s for the Packers but that "may not be a reality at this point" after the Jordan Love pick. Says the future is now less in his control than it was before, but he still wants to finish in GB.

Rodgers clarifies why he wasn't "thrilled" with the Jordan Love pick:
"It was more the surprise of the pick based on my own feelings of wanting to play into my 40s and then really the realization that it does change the controlables a little bit."

Main takeaways from 40 minutes with Aaron Rodgers:
-He wasn't "thrilled" with the Love pick but he understands it
-He still wants to finish his career with GB in his early 40s but realizes likelihood of that is less now after the pick
-He will not treat Love like Favre did him
Most honest Aaron Rodgers answer just now, in response to being asked why he wasn't thrilled with the Love pick.
"My sincere desire to start and finish with the same organization, just as it has with many other players over the years, may not be a reality at this point."

pbmax
05-15-2020, 03:17 PM
Longer quote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYFV9NHXkAQLKp0?format=png&name=small

GB-Brandon
05-15-2020, 05:29 PM
He said what everybody expected him to say. We will have to wait and see the attitude’s and communication levels when some adversity hits which does every NFL season. Despite what people think about my views I like POWER FOOTBALL. If the running game works “All Gas No Fucking Brake” then great but at some point these guys are gonna have to win on the perimeter. They will be helped out with a productive run game no doubt but I still wish we had another weapon and believe it might cost us at some point. My fear is other then Adams they won’t win outside consistently and then we will all have too see those smug looks from Mr. Rodgers after plays where he just launches the ball out of bounds and appears frustrated. If that starts to become a problem resentments could start to surface. If I was a Gute I would be working to get another weapon in here. To me we’re putting all our eggs in a basket that’s kinda a long shot.

https://www.facebook.com/Packers/videos/537961136893533/?vh=e&d=n

falco
05-15-2020, 05:34 PM
He said what everybody expected him to say. We will have to wait and see the attitude’s and communication levels when some adversity hits which does every NFL season. Despite what people think about my views I like POWER FOOTBALL. If the running game works “All Gas No Fucking Brake” then great but at some point these guys are gonna have to win on the perimeter. They will be helped out with a productive run game no doubt but I still wish we had another weapon and believe it might cost us at some point. My fear is other then Adams they won’t win outside consistently and then we will all have too see those smug looks from Mr. Rodgers after plays where he just launches the ball out of bounds and appears frustrated. If that starts to become a problem resentments could start to surface. If I was a Gute I would be working to get another weapon in here. To me we’re putting all our eggs in a basket that’s kinda a long shot.

https://www.facebook.com/Packers/videos/537961136893533/?vh=e&d=n

I wonder who will be our slot receiver this year. I don't even know who played the role last year, if I'm being honest.

Joemailman
05-15-2020, 05:53 PM
I wonder who will be our slot receiver this year. I don't even know who played the role last year, if I'm being honest.

I think it was Allison quite a bit of the time. Shouldn't be too difficult to improve on his production. Not sure how much Lazard lined up there. I think ESB played some slot in 2018. Adams has been very effective when lining up there.

GB-Brandon
05-15-2020, 05:55 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vuJbXqTdIs&feature=share

This is what I’m hoping for at this point. Faster and a more polished receiver then Ervin. Got lost in Chicago with Trubisky which is easy to do. If he is a go I believe could help us big time.

texaspackerbacker
05-15-2020, 06:04 PM
He may have said what he was expected to say, but it kinda depends on whose expectations we're talking about. To me, this press conference, if you can call it that, kinda shot down the alarmists who are whining about Rodgers only being with the Packers for another year or two. If he continues his GOAT-level excellence for one, two, three, or all four years of his contract - entirely possible considering Brady's quality of play into his 40s, then it will be a tough decision, to let him go either at the end of his contract or a year or two or three sooner. If he is still at or near the top of his game, I could see the Packers signing him for a couple more years at less money than now but still a lot - maybe something like Brady got from Tampa. Taking Rodgers at his word, it's likely he would stay with the Packers for the same or even a little less money than another team would offer.

And what of Jordan Love? Honestly, I was beginning to get psyched up for the possibility that he would be Rodgers successor - a guy with all the tools who would observe and learn to play the position the way Aaron Rodgers plays it. Now, I'm not so sure. I expect the Packers to train him and showcase him to the extent that he maybe is tradeable for a decent amount at some point.

GB-Brandon
05-15-2020, 06:27 PM
He may have said what he was expected to say, but it kinda depends on whose expectations we're talking about. To me, this press conference, if you can call it that, kinda shot down the alarmists who are whining about Rodgers only being with the Packers for another year or two. If he continues his GOAT-level excellence for one, two, three, or all four years of his contract - entirely possible considering Brady's quality of play into his 40s, then it will be a tough decision, to let him go either at the end of his contract or a year or two or three sooner. If he is still at or near the top of his game, I could see the Packers signing him for a couple more years at less money than now but still a lot - maybe something like Brady got from Tampa. Taking Rodgers at his word, it's likely he would stay with the Packers for the same or even a little less money than another team would offer.

And what of Jordan Love? Honestly, I was beginning to get psyched up for the possibility that he would be Rodgers successor - a guy with all the tools who would observe and learn to play the position the way Aaron Rodgers plays it. Now, I'm not so sure. I expect the Packers to train him and showcase him to the extent that he maybe is tradeable for a decent amount at some point.

I understand being positive but com’on. They haven’t even put the pads on yet. He is getting ready to get paid 30 plus million dollars this year so he can do another year in Green Bay. The fact is we simply don’t know how this is gonna work or play out. Let’s see what happens “in-season” and how things go.

GB-Brandon
05-15-2020, 06:29 PM
BTW, the Alarmist was the guy “that made the move” and I don’t think anyone here is Gute.

RashanGary
05-15-2020, 06:44 PM
He's handling it well. Really likes Lazard. He's embracing his game manager role.

GB-Brandon
05-15-2020, 07:02 PM
He's handling it well. Really likes Lazard. He's embracing his game manager role.

Of course he is handling it well. Aaron is very smart. He probably kept quiet for so long because he wanted the immediate anger to become manageable. All we really know is he still plans on playing into his 40’s and he is gonna do the best he can with what he has to work with. We don’t know what’s Gute plan is.

Yeah, he liked Lazard from the beginning. Not sure that alone will create another Jordy Nelson. We can love these guys to death but we’re facing some “physical realities” that might be too much to overcome. Rodgers didn’t sound overly excited about our receivers. To me it felt kinda ho hum. Training Camp will be very telling.

GB-Brandon
05-15-2020, 07:11 PM
I also hate to burst anyone’s bubble but I really don’t believe Gute is gonna wanna pay Rodgers 30 plus million a year to hand the ball off with an occasional shot down field in a cookie cutter offense.

The Love pick makes perfect sense. We’re in a step too “A New Era” like it or not.

GB-Brandon
05-15-2020, 07:17 PM
The positive is the Packers are stacked at RB. I even like Dexter Williams and think he can still be something. They are literally 4 deep right now with NFL caliber backs. I wish they were stacked at receiver like they are with RB’s. What a difference from how it used to be.

falco
05-15-2020, 08:53 PM
I think I agree with Tex here.

It's all about optionality. The Packers now have a hedge against Rodgers decline as well as against some of his shenanigans.

What they don't have is his sure fire successor.

Enterprises work to hedge against catastrophic risk and to plan for the future. It's hard for me not to see that this way. I may be proven wrong if the whole thing blows up in their face.

GB-Brandon
05-15-2020, 09:31 PM

It's all about optionality. The Packers now have a hedge against Rodgers decline as well as against some of his shenanigans.

Enterprises work to hedge against catastrophic risk and to plan for the future. It's hard for me not to see that this way. I may be proven wrong if the whole thing blows up in their face.

I don’t see anything wrong with “Hedging Play or contracts for that matter” but first things first. If we have an offense that isn’t complete then what are we really hedging? It’s kinda like putting the cart in front of the horse. I mean like your last post you were even uncertain who are slot receiver was last year. So we’re basically “Hedging” at something that is incomplete to begin with. Gute was supposed to fix all this.

Rodgers is gonna take his 34 million and smile the whole way either way Gute goes. Nobody knows how long he will be here for sure other then “This Season.” So then the question is “What is the Ultimate Goal Of This Franchise In 2020?” Is it to just compete while we go through this transformation or is it to Win A Championships? Nobody is taking about Super Bowls anymore at 1265 Lombardi which is a concern to start even start with. Our offense hasn’t scared anyone for years. Our defense gave up 186 yards rushing “before contact” against the Niners in the Champ Game.

I’m sorry but this mediocre receiving Corp and lack of disrupters up front on defense is what needs to be “Hedged Against With Assets.” There are moves out there Gute could make that are potential “Game Changers” for this current roster. We’re gonna lose some guys next year. If they really wanna make a legitimate run at the time is now.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kaAcm66dzLPynAdz7

GB-Brandon
05-15-2020, 09:40 PM
khttps://www.phrases.org.uk/images/cart-before-the-horse.jpg

RashanGary
05-15-2020, 11:12 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Rodgers lead an offense with so much firepower at the RB position.

A feiry competitor like Rodgers, the experience..... He'll add to the run game too with his cadence and the pace he pushes and the checks and overall composure of the operation. Brady is the best at that, but AR can be right there at this point in his career.

And I like the two young tight ends. Sternberger was shockingly aggressive and enthusiastic as a blocker. And Deguara has that quality too. The OL, tight ends and backs all playing aggressive, attacking football. I know Rodgers has a reputation as the goat with moving around and throwing the ball.... But he's at an age and stage where he enjoys seeing the guys fired up and winning some fist fights.

I actually think Rodgers is gonna benefit and enjoy the new direction of the offense.

RashanGary
05-15-2020, 11:14 PM
Plus, AR is a big legacy guy and history guy. It'll feel even better for him to win knowing the team didn't spend the first round pick on him. Like, look, I'm so good, I don't even need a first round receiver.

Vincenzo
05-15-2020, 11:33 PM
I tell you what pbmax, the word intelligence comes to mind with Aaron Rodgers and his very high IQ has a lot to do with how he conducts himself in mid-May. There’s no way he’s going to say anything stupid at this point.
And even if he is a complete dick.

Vincenzo
05-15-2020, 11:54 PM

Dude you sound like a cross between my brother and my wife. My brother is a successful VP at a Big Bank and my wife is an Audit Risk and Compliance director at a large transit commission/authority.

Bretsky
05-15-2020, 11:55 PM
Plus, AR is a big legacy guy and history guy. It'll feel even better for him to win knowing the team didn't spend the first round pick on him. Like, look, I'm so good, I don't even need a first round receiver.

You sound like you are trying to sell yourself on this stuff

What I heard. AROD was surprised but in public he's going to toe the line. He realizes his goal is still to play at least 4 years and realizes the drafting of the Love Machine makes it unlikely he plays 4 more years in Green Bay

GB-Brandon
05-15-2020, 11:58 PM
IMO The RB talent from 1-4 is cumulatively the most talented they have ever had on the roster and there set up for injury and attrition. I can’t wait to see these guys and hope I get a chance at camp. I like where the OL is at and I believe Runyan will contribute this year at some point. The wild card being Wagner. I like the TE group collectively and what they can do with Deguara. I kinda feel like that was a LaFLeur pick that he can expand his scheme with . M.Lewis is a locker room leader and very good blocker still at his age. I’ve met him and he is a big dude. Sternberger will be better then Graham of last year.

Then we get to WR. I really believe this offense is one playmaker at WR away from being very very lethal. It would be the final piece.

Then it would come down to health.

Vincenzo
05-16-2020, 12:08 AM
What I heard. AROD was surprised but in public he's going to toe the line. He realizes his goal is still to play at least 4 years and realizes the drafting of the Love Machine makes it unlikely he plays 4 more years in Green Bay
Love Machine, are you serious Bretsky? Have you been taking some sort of Tablets?

pbmax
05-16-2020, 07:39 AM

Sometimes I wonder about you :D

pbmax
05-16-2020, 07:50 AM

I think the blow up is less likely with Rodgers/Gute than Favre/Thompson but it seems like the burden of communication has once again fallen to the coach. Apparently something else Mr. Silo hasn't fixed.

I agree that Love is a potential successor at this point. And it could be a year or two or three before they are comfortable with him starting.

However, its also possible as others have pointed out that La Fleur doesn't want the Rodger's offense anymore. And its possible Gute doesn't want the cap restraint. So there could be pressure to end Rodgers time with the Packers early. Timing is a big thing though. As Andy Herman wrote, if you want to run a version of LaFleur's offense with a young QB and room to spend to help them, then Love really needs to be starting in his Year 3, 2022. He could start in 2021, but you won't have a ton of cap room yet if you resign the vets coming up.

Its not going to be a traditional rebuild in 2021 if the succession happens then. But it could be a blowout in 2022.

pbmax
05-16-2020, 08:01 AM
IMO The RB talent from 1-4 is cumulatively the most talented they have ever had on the roster and there set up for injury and attrition. I can’t wait to see these guys and hope I get a chance at camp.

Ahman Green, Vernand Morency, Noah Herron and Dr. Gado beg to differ.

But Ahman Green, Najeh "Compost" Davenport, Tony Fisher and William Henderson would like to fight you.

Bretsky
05-16-2020, 08:14 AM
Sometimes I wonder about you :D

my bet was the booze was kicking in :)

ThunderDan
05-16-2020, 08:17 AM

But Ahman Green, Najeh "Compost" Davenport, Tony Fisher and William Henderson would like to fight you.

My first thought also was Green, Davenpoop, Henderson and Fisher.

They had the 4th and 26 game on ESPN2 last night. It would be nice to actually show some of the games the Packers won once and a while.

So far they have had the Fail Mary, 95 Cowboys NFC title game and 4th and 26.

pbmax
05-16-2020, 08:24 AM
My first thought also was Green, Davenpoop, Henderson and Fisher.

They had the 4th and 26 game on ESPN2 last night. It would be nice to actually show some of the games the Packers won once and a while.

So far they have had the Fail Mary, 95 Cowboys NFC title game and 4th and 26.

When they tripped up Wahle on the goal line and Ahman didn't score on fourth down, I had to turn it off. Even though they still had the lead.

And in a rare moment, Troy Aikman actually gave some sound play calling advice on the replay (it was Buck, Aikman, Collingsworth): If you run a trap near the goal line and the D line penetrates, you could be in some trouble. It was hindsight sure, but a good note to make.

run pMc
05-16-2020, 09:24 AM

I'd think it would be ESB or Begelton, who ran a 4.53 with a 39.5 vertical (pretty explosive), with Adams in there occasionally as well if the matchup is good. No idea on Funchess.
They might put Jace there too, since they often flexed Graham out.

In other words, it's likely by committee.

falco
05-16-2020, 10:43 AM
Dude you sound like a cross between my brother and my wife. My brother is a successful VP at a Big Bank and my wife is an Audit Risk and Compliance director at a large transit commission/authority.

LOL - I've got something of a similar background, so I guess you can see where my biases are!

falco
05-16-2020, 10:46 AM
However, its also possible as others have pointed out that La Fleur doesn't want the Rodger's offense anymore. And its possible Gute doesn't want the cap restraint. So there could be pressure to end Rodgers time with the Packers early. Timing is a big thing though. As Andy Herman wrote, if you want to run a version of LaFleur's offense with a young QB and room to spend to help them, then Love really needs to be starting in his Year 3, 2022. He could start in 2021, but you won't have a ton of cap room yet if you resign the vets coming up.

If that's what they are driving towards, they are definitely taking a lot of risk. If you alienate Rodgers, Love is a bust, and MLF turns out to be a one-hit wonder, legacies will be tarnished.

We won't know any of that for at least another 2 or 3 years though...

GB-Brandon
05-16-2020, 12:54 PM

More games will need to be played obviously to prove it. I’m am expecting big big things from the current group. They have already won the “Underwear Olympics Competition” that’s for sure.

On paper I would have to to give the current group the nod.

RashanGary
05-16-2020, 04:48 PM
Word is the new running back is really good at short yardage. That will come I. Handy with a running attack offense and game manager QB

RashanGary
05-16-2020, 05:05 PM
Gonna be interesting to see how Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams (who's working his butt off this off-season), Sternberger, Dillon, Deguara and Dexter Williams all come together this year.

Maybe we'll be all disappointed that we dont have 2011 type passing firepower, but then get bailed out by the run/play action offense and defense.

And maybe Adams, Lazard, Funchess and company will be better than we expect on top of it. Who knows! Exciting times!

ThunderDan
05-16-2020, 05:36 PM
More games will need to be played obviously to prove it. I’m am expecting big big things from the current group. They have already won the “Underwear Olympics Competition” that’s for sure.

On paper I would have to to give the current group the nod.

Green had more yards rushing in 2003 than the whole team did in 2019.

Then add 400 for Poop and 200 for Fisher.

2020 backs aren’t going to come anywhere near those numbers.

GB-Brandon
05-16-2020, 06:18 PM
Green had more yards rushing in 2003 than the whole team did in 2019.

Then add 400 for Poop and 200 for Fisher.

2020 backs aren’t going to come anywhere near those numbers.

Once again. I am talking about pure talent and they all show up on film but some is still college film I understand. These guys have RAS scores that combined are off the charts other then Williams. I really like Williams though and had him mocked to the Packers too back when he got drafted.

There is just a combination of everything here. Packer fans gonna Love AJ Dillon. Yes, they all have to put it together on the field but it’s all there on paper when you throw in how they can use Deguara.

Need another legitimate perimeter weapon to set it all off.

GB-Brandon
05-16-2020, 06:24 PM
Dillon isn’t just big and fast and physical. He has amazing vision which sets him apart from a lot of big backs. He knows how to set his blockers up. His blocking might need to be cleaned up a little. They think he can catch.

IMO he is gonna be a “Star”

RashanGary
05-16-2020, 06:32 PM
Dillon isn’t just big and fast and physical. He has amazing vision which sets him apart from a lot of big backs. He knows how to set his blockers up. His blocking might need to be cleaned up a little. They think he can catch.

IMO he is gonna be a “Star”

Mcginns scouts liked Dillon. Said he's kind of a luxury piece, change of pace, but he'll get you 3 in short yardage every time. Said second round, but a luxury piece cuz you need a change of pace with him.

RashanGary
05-16-2020, 06:35 PM
Packers might be lining up to keep jones. Jones and Dillon make sense together. Almost as nice as elite receivers, a good running game might be good for Aaron's twilight. And I dont see why you can't play Aaron for four more years. Fuck it, just give love a try in his fifth year.

GB-Brandon
05-16-2020, 07:04 PM
Mcginns scouts liked Dillon. Said he's kind of a luxury piece, change of pace, but he'll get you 3 in short yardage every time. Said second round, but a luxury piece cuz you need a change of pace with him.

If Dillon can show he can catch consistently and cleans up his blocking he can be a “Showcase Back.” His feet are extremely quick for his size. Sometimes he gets a little too high which is correctable. Everything else matches his “Elite Talent.” This guy is scary explosive.

If he can stay healthy he will be better then Eddy Lacy. Book It!!!

Joemailman
05-16-2020, 07:12 PM
If Dillon can show he can catch consistently and cleans up his blocking he can be a “Showcase Back.” His feet are extremely quick for his size. Sometimes he gets a little too high which is correctable. Everything else matches his “Elite Talent.” This guy is scary explosive.

If he can stay healthy he will be better then Eddy Lacy. Book It!!!

I see him as Lacy-lite and I'm not talking about weight. I agree that he has quick feet for a man that size. However, Lacy was freakish in that regard. I don't think he's quite in Lacy's class in that regard. I agree with RG that Packers will want to pair Jones with Dillon for several years to come.

GB-Brandon
05-16-2020, 07:25 PM
If you can keep them both then great. Dillon to me is much more talented then Lacy. We’ll see.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1254148713947136000/kfP_0Ve1_400x400.jpg

https://img.bleacherreport.net/img/article/media_slots/photos/002/442/552/5c969fcf5e3598e935fd0b9be2316408_crop_exact.jpg?w= 340&h=234&q=85

RashanGary
05-16-2020, 07:40 PM
Go watch bettis highlights and this guy. Not all that disimilar.

GB-Brandon
05-16-2020, 07:43 PM
Lets be honest here too. Lacy liked to eat and drink beer. Dillon is a "Finely Tuned Machine"

Joemailman
05-16-2020, 08:56 PM
Lets be honest here too. Lacy liked to eat and drink beer. Dillon is a "Finely Tuned Machine"

I agree. Good chance Dillon will have a longer career. Lacy's career trajectory bummed me out. I thought he had a chance to be one of the all-time great Packers. But then...

https://i.imgur.com/9kGChDV.png

GB-Brandon
05-16-2020, 09:03 PM
I agree. Good chance Dillon will have a longer career. Lacy's career trajectory bummed me out. I thought he had a chance to be one of the all-time great Packers. But then...

https://i.imgur.com/9kGChDV.png

That and his known trips to Milwaukee boozing it up on nights way too close to game day.

I really liked him too coming out of Bama and was very excited when the Packers got him. He was great for a couple years but then things kinda caught up with him. He had that body type that just gets bigger and he wasn’t the hardest worker. I’m not sure he really Loved Football either.

GB-Brandon
05-16-2020, 09:11 PM
I endorse everything in this video on Dillon. Also shows Dillon’s “Hip Flexibility” which I believe is far superior to Eddy Lacy. Keep in mind this was his Sophomore year. People can cry about using a 2nd round pick on him but I think we got a really good player here. I was mocking him in 4th mostly but that was basically cause that’s where he was at on all the boards. I didn’t understand how he was dropping and apparently the Packers didn’t either.

https://youtu.be/UqGT7Jtm3TM

Zool
05-16-2020, 10:33 PM
I endorse everything in this video on Dillon. Also shows Dillon’s “Hip Flexibility” which I believe is far superior to Eddy Lacy. Keep in mind this was his Sophomore year. People can cry about using a 2nd round pick on him but I think we got a really good player here. I was mocking him in 4th mostly but that was basically cause that’s where he was at on all the boards. I didn’t understand how he was dropping and apparently the Packers didn’t either.

That's the complete in-exact science about the draft. What if someone had drafted Brady in the 3rd? They would have been spit roasted for a reach on a mediocre college QB. If the player pans out, there is no such thing as a reach. I blame ESPN.

RashanGary
05-17-2020, 08:59 AM
What if..... The Packers keep and play Rodgers until his contract is over.

Take the 5tb year option on love

And then play love In his 5th year, letting Rodgers go.

pbmax
05-17-2020, 09:48 AM

I think it's possible. Gute might not be so enamored of the cheap QB on a rookie deal paradigm. Also, a one year starter isn't going to get a monster second deal.

But when he did draft for need, he got parts that fit LaFleur's offense better than Rodgers. So its easy to see it going either way.

GB-Brandon
05-17-2020, 10:00 AM

There are just too many dynamics with the situation too see that far out. I’m sure anything is possible but I believe Rodgers needs to win a Super Bowl to even return next year. Anything less will leave a bad taste in the mouth and lead too finger pointing. There will be some roster attrition next year as well. It sounds like Rodgers has mentally accepted that there is a good chance he won’t finish his career with Green Bay so once that voice starts talking(which it has) it can easily be used when things don’t go as planned.

You don’t trade up in the 1st round to draft a QB to keep him on the bench for 4 years. Super Bowl Wins are the only thing that justify this. Just about any other result will force the hand. Its too bad because I really believe with a refreshed receiving Corp along with other moves made this offense would have a chance to explode.

RashanGary
05-17-2020, 10:52 AM
I think it's possible. Gute might not be so enamored of the cheap QB on a rookie deal paradigm. Also, a one year starter isn't going to get a monster second deal.

But when he did draft for need, he got parts that fit LaFleur's offense better than Rodgers. So its easy to see it going either way.

Rodgers second contract was modest for that same reason.

Love has the athleticism and arm strength to play for a really long time. So few quarterbacks get the time Rodgers got to learn the NFL. Will be interesting to see Love's career unfold.

GB-Brandon
05-17-2020, 11:13 AM
That's the complete in-exact science about the draft. What if someone had drafted Brady in the 3rd? They would have been spit roasted for a reach on a mediocre college QB. If the player pans out, there is no such thing as a reach. I blame ESPN.

It works the other way too like when they drafted Josh Jackson with the 45th pick and everyone was “WOW!!!!, What Amazing Value in the Second Round!!!”

Turned out to be he is a mid-round talented player at best.

pbmax
05-17-2020, 12:42 PM
Rodgers second contract was modest for that same reason.

Love has the athleticism and arm strength to play for a really long time. So few quarterbacks get the time Rodgers got to learn the NFL. Will be interesting to see Love's career unfold.

That is the other thing here. Love's physical profile and style of play seems more Favre/Rodger than Garrapolo or Lamar Jackson. I haven't read much about what kind of offense he ran as a sophomore with the coach who left.

So its not necessarily that Love would be LaFleur's first choice in QB for an offense. A new QB isn't going to help his long term prospects unless it works out.

RashanGary
05-17-2020, 12:55 PM
What do gorapolo and Lamar Jackson have to do with lafleur?

texaspackerbacker
05-17-2020, 12:56 PM

That's a helluva lot better than a lot of shit that has been spewed, but if Rodgers is still very near the top of his game at that time, I'd prefer keeping him and getting what we can for Love - hopefully something worthwhile if we have developed and showcased him well in that four or so years.

How about this: the Packers do the unthinkable - re-sign Rodgers for several more years, but give Love an adequate second contract, not letting the first round pick and years of development go to waste. What would the sacrifice required be? One mid level contract at some other position that we maybe couldn't afford. I'd certainly consider that.

RashanGary
05-17-2020, 01:04 PM
Brees after 40 doesn't do.much for me. Manning, Favre Brady either. I'm fine letting AR go at 40 years old even if he has two more good ones in him.

pbmax
05-17-2020, 01:12 PM

Jimmy G is running the Shanny offense in SF. Lamar Jackson is running a different option scheme in Baltimore. Both distinct from remnants of WCO elsewhere.

Joemailman
05-17-2020, 01:12 PM

Garropolo plays in a version of the same offense that MLF runs. Not sure about what Ravens run. Mark Roman seems to be from a different coaching tree.

pbmax
05-17-2020, 01:14 PM
Garropolo plays in a version of the same offense that MLF runs. Not sure about what Ravens run. Mark Roman seems to be from a different coaching tree.

Hairball's.

Point was that its not a given that Gute drafted Love to hand off or boot around the end. He looks (to me) like drop back first kind of QB. Protoypical size and arm.

He's mobile but seems to run after progressions. But I don't know what he was running at Utah State for an offense.

RashanGary
05-17-2020, 01:20 PM
Elway did alright in a shannahan offense. Mobility only adds to the playbook, doesn't take away from.

RashanGary
05-17-2020, 01:22 PM
I think if you have an elway or Rodgers or Love, you just highlight that a little more. Doesn't have to be cookie cutter. Lafleur and Rodgers showed that last year

RashanGary
05-17-2020, 01:27 PM
I don't know if any offenses are so rigid that they stop adapting to maximize players strengths or cover weaknesses. Every coach in the league seems to try to take advantage of strengths while limiting liabilities.

That's why lafleurs offense looked one way with mariotta and henry and then a different way with Rodgers and Jones....

RashanGary
05-17-2020, 01:31 PM
I have a feeling lafleurs offense will look different with Jones, an improved Jamaal Williams, and AJ Dillon than it did last year with mostly just Jones.

Might look a little different with a healthy MVS in year 3 and Lazard with experience too.

Just really hard to take a league where coaches are so open minded to using what they have and try to lock them into any one thing.

On fact, I think shannahan would have a different offense right now if he were given Rodgers too. They all adapt to what they have.

Bretsky
05-17-2020, 01:47 PM
I think if you have an elway or Rodgers or Love, you just highlight that a little more. Doesn't have to be cookie cutter. Lafleur and Rodgers showed that last year

How did Elways get brought into a Love comparison ?

Joemailman
05-17-2020, 01:49 PM

Played in a Shanahan offense.

GB-Brandon
05-17-2020, 02:26 PM
I have a feeling lafleurs offense will look different with Jones, an improved Jamaal Williams, and AJ Dillon than it did last year with mostly just Jones.

Might look a little different with a healthy MVS in year 3 and Lazard with experience too.

Just really hard to take a league where coaches are so open minded to using what they have and try to lock them into any one thing.

On fact, I think shannahan would have a different offense right now if he were given Rodgers too. They all adapt to what they have.

There are some principles that are etched in stone. Show me one place it’s worked effectively without multiple legitimate perimeter weapons and a strong running game?

Most recently The Rams, The Niners, The Titans, The Falcons all had receiving corps that put ours to shame. Were missing half the equation.

RashanGary
05-17-2020, 02:36 PM

Mobility and extended offense. I was wondering how Lamar Jackson and gorapolo were used in the same sentence.

RashanGary
05-17-2020, 02:38 PM
There are some principles that are etched in stone. Show me one place it’s worked effectively without multiple legitimate perimeter weapons and a strong running game?

Most recently The Rams, The Niners, The Titans, The Falcons all had receiving corps that put ours to shame. Were missing half the equation.

I don't know if I think as low of our receivers as you. I don't know what to expect of the TEs. Im curious to see it play out.

RashanGary
05-17-2020, 02:43 PM
I guess I do picture love trying to play a similar style to a young Aaron rodgers. Take the play if it's there and then move around and make something happen off schedule if it's not

pbmax
05-18-2020, 11:13 AM
Elway did alright in a shannahan offense. Mobility only adds to the playbook, doesn't take away from.

Sure.

But the offense can be run with young QBs who are not prototypes to typical NFL QBs of the past (RGIII). Those guys can cost less. Grappling Hook was traded for a second. Jackson was drafted #32.

Matt Ryan also ran it.

Gute took a prototype Packer QB specimen. I don't think this acquisition was hand in glove seamless like some people are speculating.

I think Gute drafted *his* next QB, and the process was not driven by The Flower.