PDA

View Full Version : 2020 running back committee

RashanGary
05-18-2020, 12:55 PM
Aaron Jones is a talented runner. Can break a big one at any moment and is really talented at finding a crease. Also pass blocks, runs good routes and catches the ball. A legitimate overall weapon.

Jamaal Williams catches quite a few passes. He pass blocks well and sets up screens well. A bit of a ho him runner, but profiles as a really good 3rd down back in passing situations with his blocking, screen prowess and route running.

AJ Dillon brings some excitement. Has potential to be an every down work horse, but McGinns scouts rave about his short yardage talent. They say he gets 3 every time. Obviously that's a figure of speech, but Dillon profiles on day 1 as a good short yardage piece.

Aaron Jones as the main back. Williams in clear passing situations, Dillon short yardage. When theyre all healthy, this seems like a good way to highlight each players skillset.

bobblehead
05-18-2020, 01:29 PM
I think the new platoon is Dillon and Jones swapping series with Jamaal at his more natural 3rd down back role. We may see a tad more Jones outside the redzone, Dillon in the redzone making them not quite interchangeable, but still mostly so.

falco
05-18-2020, 01:30 PM
What about sets where Dillon lines up in the backfield and Jones flanks out as a WR? A way to get both on the field and compensate for receiver depth?

texaspackerbacker
05-18-2020, 01:39 PM
As I have said, somebody has to play fullback for a lot of plays in LaFleur's offense. Neither Dillon nor J. Williams seems likely to do that. Maybe we use Deguara or one of the other TEs. I hope we don't waste a roster spot for an exclusive FB.

Jones has been pretty durable, and if he stays healthy, he should be really good again, maybe even better than last year. Jamal Williams really seems to be working to have a great contract year - a couple of months ago, I thought maybe he would be the primary fullback, and he may still get some work there. And what I've seen of Dillon in films, he looks like he could be better than Lacy at his best.

Nobody has advocated pass first more than I have, but with this group of runners, even I wouldn't mind seeing more balance.

All that and Dexter Williams too - somebody I thought before the draft was gonna take a leap forward this season. And then there's Tyler Ervin too.

It's about time somebody starts a roster prediction thread - what with at least 5 RBs, maybe 4 TEs, and at least 6 WRs all fairly likely to make the team, not to mention a strong chance of 3 QBs.

bobblehead
05-18-2020, 04:06 PM
What about sets where Dillon lines up in the backfield and Jones flanks out as a WR? A way to get both on the field and compensate for receiver depth?

That works if one of them can run block. If not, teams treat it as a nickel/dime situation.

smuggler
05-19-2020, 02:02 AM
bobble, it works if Jones motions a defender away from the box for Dillon, too, or visa versa. That's only IF Dillon can't block, which he probably can reasonably well with some teaching.

bobblehead
05-19-2020, 09:09 AM
bobble, it works if Jones motions a defender away from the box for Dillon, too, or visa versa. That's only IF Dillon can't block, which he probably can reasonably well with some teaching.

My point being that if neither can run block then a team is in nickel/dime and you don't gain an advantage by handing it to the other one. If Jones is pulling a non run defender away it really doesn't help you. If the team is in run personnel then it helps to split Jones out and pass the ball. You want to catch them in dime and then pull both into the backfield and exploit the advantage in the run game with an extra blocker that they aren't matched up against.

run pMc
05-19-2020, 11:23 AM
Or you motion Jones out wide, and then motion Deguara to the backfield or across the formation as the blocker. They will not keep a FB on the roster unless they find a Kuhn-like gem. Deguara and occasionally Lewis/Jace will fill the role.

Even if the defense treats it as a nickel/dime situation, you're running the ball in a light box and that should be to your advantage (lead blocker or no) more often than not.

texaspackerbacker
05-19-2020, 12:23 PM
Every year, I long for the good old days of split backs, Hornung and Taylor style or maybe Grabowski and Anderson. I still say, that kind of symmetrical offense, both RBs capable of carrying the ball as well as blocking for each other, there's no reason why that wouldn't be a big success against today's defenses. Yet nobody even considers it. Passing to the backs would be better that way too.

They'd rather have a drone (in the bee sense) of a fullback, and wear out the RB and shorten his career.

RashanGary
05-19-2020, 05:37 PM
My point being that if neither can run block then a team is in nickel/dime and you don't gain an advantage by handing it to the other one. If Jones is pulling a non run defender away it really doesn't help you. If the team is in run personnel then it helps to split Jones out and pass the ball. You want to catch them in dime and then pull both into the backfield and exploit the advantage in the run game with an extra blocker that they aren't matched up against.

I understand what you're saying. Williams is kind of a savvy ball player. Curious if he can run block. Sternberger is shockingly agile in setting up blocks. Curious about him sliding into the backfield and executing those movement type blocks too. Dillon is a rookie. I'll be happy if can get 2 yards every time on 3rd and 1 to start. Deguara, a couple packages.

RashanGary
05-19-2020, 05:41 PM
In the long run, im a huge fan of Dillon and Deguara. But I've seen so much football in the last 20 years. So rare for guys to reach their potential in that first year. Or second a lot of times.

Joemailman
05-19-2020, 06:58 PM
In the long run, im a huge fan of Dillon and Deguara. But I've seen so much football in the last 20 years. So rare for guys to reach their potential in that first year. Or second a lot of times.

RB's have a much better track record at contributing as rookies than TE's do. If they can learn their blitz pickups they can usually play. TE's have a lot more they have to learn.

RashanGary
05-19-2020, 07:24 PM
RB's have a much better track record at contributing as rookies than TE's do. If they can learn their blitz pickups they can usually play. TE's have a lot more they have to learn.

For sure. Jones is so solid right now, would almost rather see Dillon just short yardage for the first few weeks. Plus Williams is so solid in 3rd down pass pro and screens and even running routes. Just a real solid 3rd down back..... If Dillon can cannonball 2 yards in 3rd and 1, that would be a big chain mover on day 1

RashanGary
05-19-2020, 07:28 PM
In short, Dillon has a good shot of being ready on day 1, but probably won't be better than Jones as an everydown back or Williams as a 3rd down back.

GB-Brandon
05-19-2020, 08:15 PM
Dillion is a major “Positive” in all of this. He can and I believe will contribute early and make a significant contribution. He will have to split action with AJ but an injury here or there could put Dillion in the spotlight more then some might think. You don’t draft a RB in the second round to sit on the bench all year. I am quite sure he is a big part of the plan this year. They will pound the shit out of Dillion. “High Miles & Headaches”

This is what Nick Chubb did his first couple years. I’m not saying Dillon will have these numbers but I also wouldn’t be surprised if he did.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ChubNi00.htm

RashanGary
05-20-2020, 01:00 PM
Dillion is a major “Positive” in all of this. He can and I believe will contribute early and make a significant contribution. He will have to split action with AJ but an injury here or there could put Dillion in the spotlight more then some might think. You don’t draft a RB in the second round to sit on the bench all year. I am quite sure he is a big part of the plan this year. They will pound the shit out of Dillion. “High Miles & Headaches”

This is what Nick Chubb did his first couple years. I’m not saying Dillon will have these numbers but I also wouldn’t be surprised if he did.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ChubNi00.htm

Packers were 15th in rush yards a year ago with 1800.

Improved run blocking with Jace, Deguara, Tonyan and Lewis over last year's graham

The addition of Dillon...

They could push for top 10 2,000ish yards or even top 5 2,200ish yards

Healthy, maybe something like
Jones 1,100 yards
Dillon 700 yards
Williams 300 yards

Injury happens, and yeah, Dillon could have a Chubb like rookie season of 1000

With Aaron Rodgers, that veteran pass blocking reliability of the other two guys probably limits Dillon a little bit with sharing snaps compared to the rookies who put up 1000 even though Dillon does seem to be on that talent level.