PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Tight Ends??

RashanGary
05-18-2020, 01:14 PM
Honestly, anything could happen. They could all be aweful. Or maybe we got lucky on two third round picks in back to back years.

Sternberger has to be the most inexperienced and unlikely to succeed starting tight end in the league. That's not to say he's proven to be a bust, but we have no clue. His most consistent talent in his shortened 2019 season was his knack for space/move blocks. Might have a little kittle in him in that regard. Runs well. Caught a couple passes. He's a total question mark outside of being a talented move blocker

Lewis is mostly a short yardage player at this point in his career. Extremely limited in that he can't run.

Deguara is a rookie. Shows tenacity as a blocker, speed and ball skills at the college level. The NFL is not kind to rookie tight ends and as a guy who profiles as a multi-positional player, you almost have to expect him to get a slow start and be overwhelmed.

The two young guys could be long term hits for Gutebag, but multi-positional guys who have so much on their plates, it's hard not to picture them struggling. They're a year away, if they're good at all.

I can envision AR and Flower making it happen with the WRs and running backs. I don't think our tight ends have enough experience to really open up the run/pass offense that Lafleur wants to run. Im guessing we'll see an offense more like last year's with Lazard and the running backs being the improvement. Also, Jace a run blocking upgrade over Graham. I don't expect we'll see SF style run/pass proficiency because we don't have no kittle and juice to open it up. In the long run, you see what they're trying to do with Jace and Deguara though. Tenacious blockers who excel in space, run and catch

RashanGary
05-18-2020, 01:20 PM
Aaron and Flower did a great job abandoning the run/pass concepts in favor of Aaron picking apart the defense. Kinda sad for Aaron that his last couple years of his prime fall in this "in between" zone. I think we're a year away from seeing the flower offense flourish

bobblehead
05-18-2020, 01:25 PM
Great QBs that win late in their career adjust and learn to utilize the run game. The TE position is improved because Jimmah is gone and Tonyan and Sternberger are another year in. Deguara can contribute because they are going to ask him to do the things he did in college. That will help him make a more immediate impact.

The Flower vision of an offense is more like I desire of confusion and taking what given. These TEs are more in line with the O he wants to run. Our O will improve this year with a better running game, more 3rd and 3, and better precision passing.

RashanGary
05-18-2020, 01:25 PM
I think they're gonna try to use Jace and Deguara like Kittle and Juice, but the inexperience is gonna cause a lot of stumbling blocks.

The offense is going to be so much more productive with Adams, Jones and Lazard, they're just going to naturally go away from the run/pass concepts that should work in the long term but are likely to stumble short term.

Or maybe they push at it and get it all clicking by years end. Who the hell knows, right. I'm not betting on young, multi-positional played tho. Too much responsibility too early.

RashanGary
05-18-2020, 01:31 PM
Great QBs that win late in their career adjust and learn to utilize the run game. The TE position is improved because Jimmah is gone and Tonyan and Sternberger are another year in. Deguara can contribute because they are going to ask him to do the things he did in college. That will help him make a more immediate impact.

The Flower vision of an offense is more like I desire of confusion and taking what given. These TEs are more in line with the O he wants to run. Our O will improve this year with a better running game, more 3rd and 3, and better precision passing.

I love the vision. Young players stumble though, and that might push them away from really getting it going

RashanGary
05-18-2020, 01:37 PM
I envision some tension getting the young pieces on track. How stubborn are they gonna be sticking to it? It might be better if they just lean on the guys who are NFL ready this year than try to force it a year early.

texaspackerbacker
05-18-2020, 01:46 PM
Aaron Rodgers talked like Marcedes Lewis is coming back too - the "big dog". As far as I know, that's not official yet. Myself, I like Tonyan better than Sternberger. Supposedly he played hurt all last season and is healthy now.

Can we keep four? Maybe if a couple are cross-trained as fullbacks.

HarveyWallbangers
05-18-2020, 02:00 PM
I'm on the Sternberger bandwagon. I had little question about his receiving skills coming out of college. Just go back and watch him. I was worried about his blocking skills. He looked kind of scrawny--like a big WR. The fact that he missed much of the year, but came back and proved to be an effective blocker is really encouraging. I predict he'll go for about 55 receptions, 680 yards, 5 TDs--while providing better blocking than the best receiving TEs the Packers have had (Finley, Cook, Graham) in ARod's years.

This guy called him the best pass catching TE in the 2019 draft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHG7FDtL2x4

Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rie66F1j_GY

One year in the SEC: 800+ yards, 10 TDs

RashanGary
05-18-2020, 02:36 PM
Harvey, I do remember you saying you're a fan. Watching that breakdown, the worst thing he did was his pass protection. He looked like Graham that way.

Strengths:
Toughness
Loves contact
Competitive
Swag
Smooth in space. Slows down and speeds up to create space on routes or after the catch.
Movement blocks... Real natural at adjusting on the move, slows down, speeds up, gets in the way. Natural
Fast
Agile

Weaknesses:
Pass protection

Being a bad pass protector in an Aaron Rodgers offense is scary. A couple of those and it'll be a lot harder to keep him on the field. But that's why TEs are so hard to find. They have to pass block vs really good pass rushers, catch like a WR and do all sorts of movement blocks. I hope he gets better at his glaring weakness.

CaptainKickass
05-18-2020, 04:22 PM
I feel like James Looney needs to be mentioned in this thread. Particularly since - with the exception of "The Luxury Automobile™" - the rest of the TE group are about equal in the fact that they're all unknown at the NFL level.

RashanGary
05-18-2020, 08:18 PM
Jace just had his first twitter off-season workout post. He's a beast. I think his toughness and filth surprised me most. I thought he was gonna be this finesse player who just liked to run routes, but he lives for contact. Tough guy. Culture guy. They say Deguara is like that too. We need some toughness !!

And to beat a dead horse, Lazard is that kind of guy too! 2020!

run pMc
05-19-2020, 11:32 AM
I'm with Harv on the bandwagon. I thought he blocked surprisingly better than any TE except Lewis.
I've heard some remark that if he'd come out for the draft this year he might have been the top TE taken. He has receiving skills, it's the other parts that he had to learn and being hurt cost him valuable time. The COVID stuff hurts his development as well, but I think he'll improve and get a lot of snaps early in the year to show if he has.

I think they will keep 4 TEs unless one gets hurt or stinks up the place. Tonyan is on thin ice but probably sticks, especially if MLF wants to run a lot of 12 personnel.
Jimmy Graham was a warrior -- he played thru some injuries -- but he was well past his prime and didn't scare anyone anymore. It's addition by subtraction there.

texaspackerbacker
05-19-2020, 12:35 PM
Everybody talks like Lewis is a sure thing, but he isn't even signed yet, is he? And so many of ya'all saw something good in Sternberger that I, optimist that I am, just didn't see. And I hope they give Tonyan a fighting chance, because I think he could have a good year - and hopefully it will be with the Packers.

I also would like to see Looney get a shot - but starting in 5th place, he is swimming against the tide.

All of this really makes you wonder about the Deguarra draft pick. Do they see something special in him, a bargain they just couldn't turn down at that point? Or were they just stupid?

pbmax
05-19-2020, 01:13 PM
Signed, sealed, delivered, he's yours.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-free-agency-2020/2020/3/18/21186227/packers-re-sign-te-marcedes-lewis-to-one-year-contract-per-report

Zool
05-19-2020, 01:38 PM
Signed, sealed, delivered, he's yours.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-free-agency-2020/2020/3/18/21186227/packers-re-sign-te-marcedes-lewis-to-one-year-contract-per-report

Please, that was months ago. What has he done for me lately?

Joemailman
05-19-2020, 02:13 PM
Honestly, anything could happen. They could all be aweful. Or maybe we got lucky on two third round picks in back to back years.

Sternberger has to be the most inexperienced and unlikely to succeed starting tight end in the league. That's not to say he's proven to be a bust, but we have no clue. His most consistent talent in his shortened 2019 season was his knack for space/move blocks. Might have a little kittle in him in that regard. Runs well. Caught a couple passes. He's a total question mark outside of being a talented move blocker

Lewis is mostly a short yardage player at this point in his career. Extremely limited in that he can't run.

Deguara is a rookie. Shows tenacity as a blocker, speed and ball skills at the college level. The NFL is not kind to rookie tight ends and as a guy who profiles as a multi-positional player, you almost have to expect him to get a slow start and be overwhelmed.

The two young guys could be long term hits for Gutebag, but multi-positional guys who have so much on their plates, it's hard not to picture them struggling. They're a year away, if they're good at all.

I can envision AR and Flower making it happen with the WRs and running backs. I don't think our tight ends have enough experience to really open up the run/pass offense that Lafleur wants to run. Im guessing we'll see an offense more like last year's with Lazard and the running backs being the improvement. Also, Jace a run blocking upgrade over Graham. I don't expect we'll see SF style run/pass proficiency because we don't have no kittle and juice to open it up. In the long run, you see what they're trying to do with Jace and Deguara though. Tenacious blockers who excel in space, run and catch

I think they'll get more out of Sternberger than you think. As far as knowing the offense, he won't be a rookie. He's a natural receiver. His TD against 49ers was a great job of getting open after a play had broken down. Watch Rodgers run into the end zone to congratulate him after the play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwOz_BTPDXg.

Deguara being a rookie will be the one most affected by lost practice time. I don't expect a whole lot from him as a rookie. That might open up some opportunities for Tonyan.

pbmax
05-19-2020, 02:27 PM
Please, that was months ago. What has he done for me lately?

Its also a media report, which tex by definition doesn't believe.

Maybe we can get Marcedes to confirm for us by posting.

Joemailman
05-19-2020, 02:36 PM

Green Bay Packers
@packers
Big Dog is back!

#Packers re-sign TE
@MarcedesLewis89

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ET54YY3WkAALuFW?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Zool
05-19-2020, 03:05 PM

I thought Lewis was Tex?

pbmax
05-19-2020, 03:17 PM
I thought Lewis was Tex?

I can see Marcedes having a beef with Direct TV.

Joemailman
05-19-2020, 05:23 PM
I can see Marcedes having a beef with Direct TV.

:huh:

texaspackerbacker
05-19-2020, 06:17 PM
Glad to hear Marcedes Lewis is coming back. I like Direct TV. I still don't have a high opinion of Sternberger, but I'm open to changing my mind about him if he shows je deserves it.

pbmax
05-19-2020, 07:42 PM
:huh:

Tex, who by Zool’s post is Marcedes, had a difference of opinion with Direct TV last year about the terms of his renewal for the Sunday Ticket package.

Eh, never-mind. Wasn’t that funny anyway.

GB-Brandon
05-19-2020, 08:35 PM
Sternberger needs to step up and now is his time. I actually had him mocked as a 3rd round target last year. I liked him better in the 3rd then Hockenson or Fant in 1st. We’ll see soon what was better. I really believe in Sternberger and he will be an upgrade over Graham. He needs to stay healthy but if he does I think Packer Fans will like what he can do.

Lewis is just a big smasher. He is a massive dude. He will help in certain sets and is a good locker room guy.

Deguara will be all over the place. They will use him like the Niners use Juszczyk. This was a LaFluer pick. He will add some versatility for LaFluer to run more of his concepts.

I have always liked Tonyan and if they keep 4 TE’s(which I belive they will)then I’m very pleased having him as our 4th. That’s a good sign for the group as whole. I like where the Packers are at at TE.

Bretsky
05-19-2020, 09:45 PM
Sternberger needs to step up and now is his time. I actually had him mocked as a 3rd round target last year. I liked him better in the 3rd then Hockenson or Fant in 1st. We’ll see soon what was better. I really believe in Sternberger and he will be an upgrade over Graham. He needs to stay healthy but if he does I think Packer Fans will like what he can do.

Lewis is just a big smasher. He is a massive dude. He will help in certain sets and is a good locker room guy.

Deguara will be all over the place. They will use him like the Niners use Juszczyk. This was a LaFluer pick. He will add some versatility for LaFluer to run more of his concepts.

I have always liked Tonyan and if they keep 4 TE’s(which I belive they will)then I’m very pleased having him as our 4th. That’s a good sign for the group as whole. I like where the Packers are at at TE.

Oh great is the hypemachine turning you into a fluffy too now :)))))

GB-Brandon
05-19-2020, 09:56 PM
Oh great is the hypemachine turning you into a fluffy too now :)))))

I suppose after thoroughly talking about our receiving Corp it makes everything else look AMAZING! :bang:

At least I can kinda buy into this group.

Bretsky
05-20-2020, 11:04 PM
I suppose after thoroughly talking about our receiving Corp it makes everything else look AMAZING! :bang:

At least I can kinda buy into this group.

Start with dimes instead of $100 bills