PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Packers Offense Packages

pbmax
05-19-2020, 09:43 AM
This goes slightly nuts. It also assumes that both Dillon and Daguerrotype get immediate playing time (Dillon ahead of Williams, Daguerrotype ahead of Lewis). But its a good look at what you could do.

Bonus Swervin' Ervin mentions.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/ContentGallery/Five-new-personnel-packages-that-will-ignite-Green-Bays-offense-Davante-Adams-Aaron-Jones-AJ-Dillon-Jace-Sternberger-147289232/

texaspackerbacker
05-19-2020, 12:13 PM
Good Article, but a lot of it doesn't ring true/sounds more like media generated bullshit. At the top of that list is so much Funchess talk. I think Lazard and St. Brown and maybe MVS will get more use than him. Rodgers seemed to say that in his press conference too. They did sort of say what I suspected that the Packers will likely go with TEs, mainly Deguarra at fullback. I would think Ervin isn't even a sure thing to make the team, given the glut of RBs we have.

Joemailman
05-19-2020, 01:24 PM
Noteworthy that only 2 of the 5 packages have 3 WR's on the field. 1 has only 1 WR. That's the new normal in Green Bay. It's maybe one reason why recently drafting at TE and RB has been a bigger priority for Packers than WR.

Joemailman
05-19-2020, 01:43 PM
2019 Snap counts of Packers skill players by position:

RB: 1094

QB: 1078

WR: 2739

TE: 1374

FB: 170

I would expect the RB numbers to go up as LaFleur finds ways to utilize Jones and Dillon on he field at the same time. WR numbers will go down. FB numbers (Vitale) will be absorbed by TE position.

texaspackerbacker
05-19-2020, 06:05 PM
"I wanted to take a quick look at five personnel packages that I’m most excited to see in 2020." - I say again, this is nothing but media speculation i.e. made up shit - not something coming from the team or anybody in position to know. It's ludicrous to think the Packers will seldom other than very short yardage have less than 3 WRs in the game. Expect more plays with 4 than with less than 2.

Even if the running game is emphasized a little more, it will work better if the D has to spread out and worry about the pass.

Joemailman
05-19-2020, 06:27 PM
"I wanted to take a quick look at five personnel packages that I’m most excited to see in 2020." - I say again, this is nothing but media speculation i.e. made up shit - not something coming from the team or anybody in position to know. It's ludicrous to think the Packers will seldom other than very short yardage have less than 3 WRs in the game. Expect more plays with 4 than with less than 2.

I don't think you'll see 4 WR or 1 WR packages very often. But you'll see 3 WR packages less often than you're used to.

GB-Brandon
05-19-2020, 08:21 PM
Smash Mouth and Play Action with some mix and match to go along with it. If you follow the Packers moves this is where it leads you.

That’s the Game Plan.

George Cumby
05-20-2020, 10:58 AM
Smash Mouth and Play Action with some mix and match to go along with it. If you follow the Packers moves this is where it leads you.

That’s the Game Plan.

This.

pbmax
05-20-2020, 11:38 AM
I think its going to require a year or two of transition. No one has seen either the RB or the H back against pros yet.

texaspackerbacker
05-20-2020, 12:58 PM
I don't doubt that LaFleur, etc. are hoping to transition to more run first, not necessarlily smash mouth. Given the mediocrity of the O Line and the greatness of the QB, I think and hope we continue to pass first and run as the change of pace.

RashanGary
05-20-2020, 01:13 PM
I think its going to require a year or two of transition. No one has seen either the RB or the H back against pros yet.

Agree. NFL pass protection isnt just a 101 class, it's a full associate degree at those positions.

12 lead passing attack is another daunting task.

Run blocking isn't easy.

Motions, multi positions , checks, audibles, etc...

TE is a tough position. Jace has a good chance. Deguara, the rookie, is doubtful as a consistent presence. He's gonna have to beat Tonyan out for snaps most likely, and Tonyan has a huge leg up in experience.

RashanGary
05-20-2020, 01:16 PM
I'm more excited about 2021 with Sternberger hitting his prime, Deguara having the experience I think he needs, Dillon being a steady presence in the offense...... That looks like a good smash mouth group, a year from now.

RashanGary
05-20-2020, 01:18 PM
I love the theory, have some doubts about it "in practice", but 12 shocked the shit out of me how well he moved the offense last year. He brings people up. Never know. I'm wrong so often, I don't even like guessing anymore

GB-Brandon
05-20-2020, 02:28 PM
I don't doubt that LaFleur, etc. are hoping to transition to more run first, not necessarlily smash mouth. Given the mediocrity of the O Line and the greatness of the QB, I think and hope we continue to pass first and run as the change of pace.

They drafted a big Power Back, What they believe will be an “Elite H-Back”, Three Interior O-Lineman. The Jenkins pick last year. Bringing in a big huge physical receiver.

I belive the writing is pretty much on the wall.

GB-Brandon
05-20-2020, 02:30 PM
Aaron Rodgers has one foot out the door.

GB-Brandon
05-20-2020, 02:38 PM
Yep a “New Era.” Just because it’s “New” doesn’t mean it will be Good.

Gute has gone out of his way to destroy anything with Thompson’s name on it.

pbmax
05-20-2020, 02:52 PM
They drafted a big Power Back, What they believe will be an “Elite H-Back”, Three Interior O-Lineman. The Jenkins pick last year. Bringing in a big huge physical receiver.

I belive the writing is pretty much on the wall.

It might be. But none of them, even assuming health, are guaranteed to start this year.

texaspackerbacker
05-20-2020, 03:44 PM
All of that notwithstanding, we still have the GOAT QB and an outstanding speed back. If Rodgers has the kind of year that he really ought to have, and if Jones has a great contract year to the point where it seems like a good idea to shell out money to re-sign him, I still see a strong chance that the next 3, 4, or 5 seasons are pass first and highly successful that way.

The reason the Packers did so well last year was not because of LaFleur's new offense, but because LaFleur had the good sense to subordinate his own ego and preferred offense to what worked. I think/hope that continues.

texaspackerbacker
05-20-2020, 03:49 PM
If it goes the other way, and some of ya'all get your wish, we end up with something like Tennessee, then I will be the new Brandon around here. IMO, Tennessee got lucky last season, and they will be back down where they belong this year. I really don't want my favorite team to be like that. And it likely would be even worse, because to play run first/smash mouth, you need a D that can compensate for a lot of short empty offensive series - which it doesn't seem like we have.

RashanGary
05-20-2020, 05:02 PM
The reason the Packers did so well last year was not because of LaFleur's new offense, but because LaFleur had the good sense to subordinate his own ego and preferred offense to what worked. I think/hope that continues.

Last year shannahan, and a few others (don't recall specifically, but I remember a couple others were asked)

The common thread was that a few principals from Washington, Atlanta, Tennessee and to a lesser extent, Rams and 9ers offenses were brought to the Packers. I know fangio mentioned they did a bunch of the things the Packers have always done with Rodgers.

The common opinion of coaches familiar with Lafleur and with the Packers was that Lafleur didn't force the players into an offense, but rather created an offense that fit the players he had.

The other thing they said, was, "that's what we do. Good coaches make the best out of the players they have" and I remember more than one saying, lafleur did a great job making the best of the guys he had and they admired the job he did.

Further, I agree. Rodgers, a veteran OL, Adams and Jones were the strengths of the offense and lafleur didn't fight that. Inside zone was the strength of the run game and lafleaur didn't fight that. He adapted to his roster.

2020 Packers will not be 2018 Titans. Will.not be 2016 falcons. Will not be 2017 rams or 2013 Redskins. Lafleur has been around long enough to have a track record of highlighting what he has.

Equally realistic is the 2020 Packers will also not be the 2019 Packers. Wagner starts. Sternberger starts. Lazard is very likely to be a different player. We have a whole bunch of possible other guys who could contribute. Hard to predict to what level. I don't even think lafleur knows whos gonna grow or regress until the season unfolds.

But lafleurs history, his history of being around success, makes it likely that he will ride the hot hands and come up with an offense that fits the guys he has now, the way they're playing now with that coming before any rigid identity some think he will try to force. The 2020 Packers offense will be more like the 2019 Packers offense than the 2017 rams, there is some decent bets. Rodgers, Jones and Adams will be highlighted with what they do best. After that a whole.bunch of stuff is up on the air.

I have confidence lafleur will adjust to whoever steps up and adapt to injury or regression as well. He'll deal in the here and now and so whatever helps the team win.

He'll also coach "all 11", "team over self", "player lead", effort, dedication and details. He'll let guys be themselves and have fun. That's a part of who he is, but after that, schematically, it's an open book to whatever his guys do best with the 2019 Packers being the closest fit because it's the most similar.to this teams roster.

RashanGary
05-20-2020, 05:10 PM
One major difference from McCarthy to lafleur seems to be McCarthy looked for more creativity and lafleur watches other teams best plays to take advantage of other people's creativity.

The cool thing about mcCartbys way is he's viewed as an offensive creative leader and allowed Rodgers to pave the way for the new QB blueprint.

The cool thing about lafleur, even though he'll never probably get that kind of recognition, it's not about his reputation , but just winning. So stealing ideas, while not as glorious as coming up with your own, is lot easier and takes advantage of all 32 teams creativity, not just your own.

I like flower more. Think it's less glorious, but more effective.

GB-Brandon
05-20-2020, 05:58 PM
It might be. But none of them, even assuming health, are guaranteed to start this year.

Runyan will come in and compete. When attrition takes a toll I could very easily see him starting by seasons end.

Deguara is gonna play snaps all over the place. He may not be a “Starter” but he will be out there quite a bit. He is a key part of the scheme.

Dillion will average at least 10-12 touches a game.

Kamal Martin is a guy nobody is taking about but he should be. Kirksey will go down. Enter Kamal Martin.

GB-Brandon
05-20-2020, 06:05 PM
One major difference from McCarthy to lafleur seems to be McCarthy looked for more creativity and lafleur watches other teams best plays to take advantage of other people's creativity.

The cool thing about mcCartbys way is he's viewed as an offensive creative leader and allowed Rodgers to pave the way for the new QB blueprint.

The cool thing about lafleur, even though he'll never probably get that kind of recognition, it's not about his reputation , but just winning. So stealing ideas, while not as glorious as coming up with your own, is lot easier and takes advantage of all 32 teams creativity, not just your own.

I like flower more. Think it's less glorious, but more effective.

Great!!! At the end of the day it’s gonna come down to Rodgers making plays and front office didn’t do him any favors.

GB-Brandon
05-20-2020, 06:18 PM
If they truly wanted to give Rodgers some help they’d give him a guy or guys that can take a 10 yard slant 70 yards for a TD. That would take a tremendous amount of pressure off Rodgers. Instead Rodgers has to sit there and orchestrate these dink and dunk drives with perfection. Having to do it several times a game creates tremendous pressure along with consistently making big plays on 3rd down to move the chains. One mistake by a receiver stalls the whole drive.

Everybody wants to be good on “3rd Down”. Why not build an offense that rarely gets to 3rd down?

We have the HOF QB to do it. I just don’t understand the disconnect.

GB-Brandon
05-20-2020, 06:22 PM
We were supposed to bring in a coach that was gonna allow Rodgers to flourish with more “modern concepts” and weaponry to succeed.

Instead we got people in there that want to replace him and put hand cuffs on him. Limit him and turn him into a game manager.

Talk about getting hoodwinked.

GB-Brandon
05-20-2020, 06:37 PM
The “Elephant In The Room” with Lafleur’s big “Smash Mouth” and “All Gas and No Brake” is his defensive identity doesn’t match. Talk about Finesse. They don’t have the horses upfront to play Grind it Out.

It’s a “Smoke and Mirror Defense” that needs the lead. These guys are just going in to many different directions. It’s either a Rebuild or these guys have no clear vision. That’s where it’s at.

RashanGary
05-20-2020, 06:44 PM
The “Elephant In The Room” with Lafleur’s big “Smash Mouth” and “All Gas and No Brake” is his defensive identity doesn’t match. Talk about Finesse. They don’t have the horses upfront to play Grind it Out.

It’s a “Smoke and Mirror Defense” that needs the lead. These guys are just going in to many different directions. It’s either a Rebuild or these guys have no clear vision. That’s where it’s at.

We were a game a way from the SB and have a shot this year again. It might not be as bad as you thinkp

GB-Brandon
05-20-2020, 06:53 PM
We were a game a way from the SB and have a shot this year again. It might not be as bad as you thinkp

I don’t know. Things opening up here and I went to barber shop today. I’m not the only person in Green Bay who thinks this way. I can tell you that much.

GB-Brandon
05-20-2020, 07:09 PM
I hope they let us “Rail-Birds” attend camp. I really wanna see this.

Bretsky
05-20-2020, 10:58 PM
I hope they let us “Rail-Birds” attend camp. I really wanna see this.

If you make it throw an egg at GuteBag for me

GB-Brandon
05-21-2020, 12:19 AM
If you make it throw an egg at GuteBag for me

They would probably put a restraining order on me and I'd be like your putting the restraining order on the "Wrong Person" :glug: