PDA

View Full Version : Likely to have breakout seasons in 2020. Why?

RashanGary
05-21-2020, 06:16 PM
So many NFL players improve in their 2nd, 3rd and even 4th years. It's the offseason. Who might be this year's so/so young guys who become really good pros as they develop??

Rashan Gary - down 12lbs to 275lbs. Moving better than last year's clips doing same drills. 2nd year at new position in same defense. Opportunity with Sackrell departure

Allen Lazard - showed signs as ascending player. Second year in offense. Chemistry with 12. Opportunity.

Darnell Savage - second year. Second year with Amos, King and Alexander. High upside athlete. Very solid for rookie play last year. Some splash plays too. Twitter has a run play that the guided missile blew up, that only a handful of guys can make.

Jace Sternberger - showed flashes of everything you want to see. His college pass protection was sketchy, but he says it's night and day where he is today. He's gotta shot

Chandon Sullivan - pff graded him 6th highest on Packers defense. Moved around. Made plays wherever he went. Opportunity with Tramon gone.

Jamaal Williams - his trainer is posting twitter clips. Rodgers said in his interview it was nice to see Jamaal working on the twitter clips. He's expanding his route tree. Always a savvy blocker, savvy setting up his screens and caught a lot of passes for the opportunities he got. Ideal 3rd down skillset.

AJ Dillon - Jones gets stopped pretty easy in short yardage situations. He's one of the best at hitting a small seam in the NFL, but poor at punching a hole. Williams, while big, is so ho hum as a runner, he didn't show much in short yardage either. I don't want a rookie pass protecting against blitz heavy teams, but on day 1, this beast profiles as a chain moving battering ram in short yardage situations. If injury hits, he could be more.

I tried to keep it to likely candidates. I could make a case for a lot of guys, but these guys seem likely to breakout in my opinion.

GB-Brandon
05-21-2020, 06:35 PM
Pretty much all these players need to make a jump for the Packers to have any chance at the ultimate prize. There all pretty much Gute's boys except Williams so its time to actually see some production. I wouldn't be surprised a bit if Williams gets jettisoned for some late round pick during camp if the other Williams improves. Gute's acquired talent needs to start making the difference. We will know a lot and all will be revealed by seasons end. There will be a crystal clear direction of where this whole thing is going.

Joemailman
05-21-2020, 06:45 PM
Kingsley Keke . The heir apparent to Mike Daniels. He just needed a year to get acclimated to the NFL.

RashanGary
05-21-2020, 06:51 PM
Kingsley Keke . The heir apparent to Mike Daniels. He just needed a year to get acclimated to the NFL.

Mike Daniels is healthy. He was in twitter saying he wants to be a Packer.......

Keke was the guy I almost put on the list, but he just didn't show enough for me to want to try n defend it

RashanGary
05-21-2020, 06:55 PM
Ol' Montravious is going into his fourth year. Gutebag has had a weird attachment to that guy. There are some rare examples of guys who ain't shit and then they are for no apparent reason.

Ummmmm.... I can't think of a 4th year example except Donald Driver being a dud for 3 years then breaking out.

Imma go ahead and hold my money. Not liking the Montravious bet.

GB-Brandon
05-21-2020, 07:07 PM
Montro Adams might be out.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2892876-packers-dl-montravius-adams-arrested-on-3-misdemeanor-charges-in-georgia

GB-Brandon
05-21-2020, 07:12 PM
Mike Daniels is healthy. He was in twitter saying he wants to be a Packer.......

Keke was the guy I almost put on the list, but he just didn't show enough for me to want to try n defend it

I don't see Gute bringing back Mike Daniels. His RAS score doesn't mix with Gute's Kool-Aid.

Joemailman
05-21-2020, 07:13 PM
Ol' Montravious is going into his fourth year. Gutebag has had a weird attachment to that guy. There are some rare examples of guys who ain't shit and then they are for no apparent reason.

Ummmmm.... I can't think of a 4th year example except Donald Driver being a dud for 3 years then breaking out.

Imma go ahead and hold my money. Not liking the Montravious bet.

In fairness to Driver, he was playing behind Freeman and Schroeder. All Mt. Adams would have had to was be better than than Lowry. Big difference. That's why I'm high on Keke.

Joemailman
05-21-2020, 07:15 PM

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2892876-packers-dl-montravius-adams-arrested-on-3-misdemeanor-charges-in-georgia

Can't fix stupid.

red
05-21-2020, 08:03 PM

jesus

dump him. he's been next to worthless so far anyways

Bretsky
05-21-2020, 08:17 PM
jesus

dump him. he's been next to worthless so far anyways

I think he was another one of our overdrafted shit 3rd round picks we're famous for

pbmax
05-21-2020, 08:29 PM
Less than an ounce of marijuana and a suspended license. I think the new CBA gives him a cap free raise now.

Zool
05-21-2020, 08:33 PM
Less than an ounce of marijuana and a suspended license. I think the new CBA gives him a cap free raise now.

Seriously, some weed and driving without insurance? Is that even illegal anymore?

RashanGary
05-21-2020, 09:30 PM
Is Finley the only decent 3rd round pick in the last 15 years? Finely and James jones... Can't think of any other

texaspackerbacker
05-21-2020, 09:49 PM
Unaccustomed as I am to being a negativist, there are several who have been mentioned that I just can't see any reason to expect good things from. The primary of those are Sternberger and Keke. I'd love to be proven wrong, but everything I saw from Sternberger was mediocrity, and Keke couldn't even beat out Adams, who as was pointed out, couldn't beat out the two Northwestern pigs, Lowry and Lancaster.

As for RG's list in the original post, I too have high hopes for Gary, but the fact is, he sure hasn't given us much reason on the field to hope. As for Dillon and J. Williams, there probably are not gonna be enough snaps and carries for them to "break out". Of the two, Williams in his contract year and knowing the system is more likely to stand out. I expect Aaron Jones to break out even from the great season he had last year, assuming he stays healthy in this, his contract season.

I agree, Lazard should have a break out season, but I have just as high hopes for Valdez-Scantling, although I'll concede he hasn't given us much reason to be positive. St. Brown also I have high hope for. I'm also hopeful Tonyan returns to his form from before last season when he supposedly played hurt.

On D, Savage I agree, has star written all over him. Sullivan came out of nowhere and looked good. I think he loses playing time, though, to Raven Greene who I see as a more likely breakout candidate if he stays healthy.

I really wish we had picked up a true star shut down Corner, as the Pettine type of zone-hating D pretty much requires outstanding Corner play. King, to me, is not even close even when healthy, and Alexander would be a super second Corner, but seemed to struggle whenever he had to cover a top receiver one on one. I really wish they would play more zone, but I don't expect it. I wish I could predict a break out year for Kadar Hollman or Josh Jackson, but in either case, it would be a long shot.

Another who I am hoping has a break out season is Curtis Bolton, assuming his healthy.

We need somebody to break out as a second interior D Lineman; We also need two somebodys to step forward in the O Line beyond Linsley, Bakhtiari, and Jenkins. There are 6 or 8 possibilities, but nobody I would predict to break out. Watch out for Yosh Nijman, though.

red
05-21-2020, 09:52 PM
Seriously, some weed and driving without insurance? Is that even illegal anymore?

but he's still black and driving in the south

RashanGary
05-21-2020, 09:53 PM
Tex, i almost listed Bolton too. He looked good in preseason.

Greene looks like dime backer. Sullivan nickle so more chances

red
05-21-2020, 09:55 PM
could it be time for jaire to make the jump

had a nice rookie year and an OK second year. maybe he steps up and becomes that shutdown corner that tex wants

Massive J
05-22-2020, 12:02 AM
Who`s up for a breakout season? I hope its Rodgers. You know, actually run the offense the way it's called. Throw the ball to the open man whether you like him or not. Maybe not chuck so many air balls or one-hoppers. Or a few less "spite" throws where the only purpose was to highlight that the receiver wasn't as smart as you. That would be great.

Patler
05-22-2020, 01:24 AM
Equanimeous St. Brown. Two years ago, I thought he should more pro-level skills than any of the other rookies. Good hands, nice sideline work, good concentration on contested throws. Could be what they need.

pbmax
05-22-2020, 07:45 AM
Sternberger and ESB. By midseason my plan is to be complaining about mostly the defense.

SudsMcBucky
05-22-2020, 12:48 PM
Equanimeous St. Brown. Two years ago, I thought he should more pro-level skills than any of the other rookies. Good hands, nice sideline work, good concentration on contested throws. Could be what they need.

Yep. This is my pick.

Joemailman
05-22-2020, 05:57 PM
Is Finley the only decent 3rd round pick in the last 15 years? Finely and James jones... Can't think of any other

It's been pretty bad. Morgan Burnett was good. Holy Fackrell was okay. I have high hopes for Sternberger and DeGuara.

red
05-22-2020, 06:54 PM
I think a lot of us have high hopes for ESB

Someone needs to step up from that we group, and I really liked him in that draft. He’ll, I wanted the team to take him with their second round pick

woodbuck27
05-23-2020, 06:13 PM
A nice thread.

Thanks Packerrats.

Bretsky
05-23-2020, 09:38 PM
Sternberger. Maybe the Bacsonator too; if not the staff and Gutebag will die trying

RashanGary
05-24-2020, 01:32 PM
Wrong thread

red
05-24-2020, 03:54 PM
Wrong thread

WERE YOU ABOUT TO CALL ME AN ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RashanGary
05-24-2020, 04:25 PM

Lol!!! No! It was about the defense

sharpe1027
05-24-2020, 05:30 PM
Aaron Rodgers. Let's face it, last year was not his best, despite their record. Will he find that chip o. His shoulder again to motivate himself? I think so.

texaspackerbacker
05-24-2020, 08:55 PM
hahahahaha 13-3 that way; If Rodgers has a breakout season, how high is up?

bobblehead
05-25-2020, 09:51 AM

Huh...visions of Bull Durham. "Do you want me to call you a cocksucker?"

bobblehead
05-25-2020, 09:53 AM
Can't believe no one said MVS. He had a decent rookie campaign, a good camp, and a nice start before knee and ankle derailed his season. I would ideally like improvement all over the offensive weapons group. I want those stats showing that Rodgers has hit 8 different targets with passes midway through the 3rd quarter.

texaspackerbacker
05-25-2020, 11:26 AM
I did in post #15.

red
05-25-2020, 04:07 PM

R. Lee Ermey

full metal jacket

sharpe1027
05-25-2020, 04:10 PM
hahahahaha 13-3 that way; If Rodgers has a breakout season, how high is up?

Rodgers didn't win those games alone. He could have a better year this coming season and the Packers could end up with a worse record.

Last year was a down year for Rodgers in many regards. Watching him miss a lot of passes he used to make in his sleep and he missed some opportunities. The team played well. They had a lot of close games and were pretty injury free. Not to mention they dodged Mahomes.

Does anyone think last year was one of Rodgers better years for his individual play? I hope he improves.

4 interceptions (1st)
95.4 passer rating (12th)
62.0 completion percentage (21st)
7.0 yards per passing attempt (17th)
26 touchdown passes (tied for 8th)

GB-Brandon
05-25-2020, 04:29 PM
Rodgers didn't win those games alone. He could have a better year this coming season and the Packers could end up with a worse record.

Last year was a down year for Rodgers in many regards. Watching him miss a lot of passes he used to make in his sleep and he missed some opportunities. The team played well. They had a lot of close games and were pretty injury free. Not to mention they dodged Mahomes.

Does anyone think last year was one of Rodgers better years for his individual play? I hope he improves.

4 interceptions (1st)

First year in a new system. Limited play makers on the outside. Seemed to be confusion at times between him and his receivers. Only George Siefert had a better rookie head coaching season then LaFluer as far as wins and losses. This appears to be what they are building on. I would still put Rodgers in the top 10 of all QB’s played based only on last year. Everyone has been spoiled with Rodgers Greatness so anything but that and people jump to conclusions. The fact is Rodgers at 80 percent of his “Elite Play” still makes him a top 10 QB.

I do see some things with Rodgers where time has caught up with him based on last year. Like when he is in the Pocket sliding around at times he doesn’t appear to be functioning at the same speed as everyone around him like he used too. He certainly doesn’t run like he used too. I believe the arm talent is still good but he isn’t gonna throw 50/50 balls to guys he doesn’t 100 percent believe in.

If your waiting around for Rodgers to play at the elite level he did in “Run The Table” you will probably be disappointed but if he can get in a situation where he has more help he can certainly take a team the distance.

sharpe1027
05-25-2020, 09:06 PM
Brandon, much of what your saying is my point. There's good reason to believe Rodger's might have a break out relative to last year.

GB-Brandon
05-25-2020, 09:22 PM
If Wagner holds up at RT and Funches can stay healthy along with one of the receivers making a significant jump then yeah I would say there is nothing holding him back from doing that.

texaspackerbacker
05-25-2020, 09:54 PM

4 interceptions (1st)

Like you said, it wasn't one of his better seasons, and we still went 13-3. That, as you said, means a lot of other players contributed pretty well. I'm just saying there would seem to be a fairly good chance Rodgers reverts to normalcy and has a much better season this year. We do have a little bit tougher schedule, but just he same, 13-3 or better seems like a very likely outcome.

Optimism is reality in the majority of cases.

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2020, 10:21 PM
Can't believe no one said MVS. He had a decent rookie campaign, a good camp, and a nice start before knee and ankle derailed his season. I would ideally like improvement all over the offensive weapons group. I want those stats showing that Rodgers has hit 8 different targets with passes midway through the 3rd quarter.

MVS sucks. He crapped the bed when given a chance. Bad hands and worse ball skills. Hop on the ESB bandwagon.

hoosier
05-26-2020, 07:25 AM

Nope. Lee Ermey in FMJ.

pbmax
05-26-2020, 08:23 AM
MVS sucks. He crapped the bed when given a chance. Bad hands and worse ball skills. Hop on the ESB bandwagon.

He might get lost in the shuffle (Funchess, ESB), but I am curious if he was truly affected last year by injuries. He looked OK as a deep threat.

ThunderDan
05-26-2020, 09:02 AM
He might get lost in the shuffle (Funchess, ESB), but I am curious if he was truly affected last year by injuries. He looked OK as a deep threat.

Until he dropped the balls that landed right in his lap.

texaspackerbacker
05-26-2020, 09:58 AM
I'm thinking/hoping Funchess is the one who gets lost in the shuffle, maybe even cut if Lazard, Valdez-Scantling, and St. Brown all look good. Myself, I'd rather have Kumerow than Funchess - although I suppose most would disagree with that.

Zool
05-26-2020, 11:09 AM
My first prediction is JL will not be a break out this year because....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk2ht0Ceqyc&disable_polymer=true

Love takes time. You gotta take some time to let Love grow.

pbmax
05-26-2020, 11:19 AM
Until he dropped the balls that landed right in his lap.

Its not ideal. But that speed is valuable.

Zool
05-26-2020, 11:48 AM
So for now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8nLraecPRY

RashanGary
05-26-2020, 12:55 PM
Look out for the albino French Canadian version of Richard Sherman, Marc-Antoine Decouy.

6'3" 198
4.35 40
6.65 3 cone
37" very

Gonna set the league en feugo!

RashanGary
05-26-2020, 12:59 PM
In the world of far fetched dreaming, the idea of king and the canadian, two 6'3" guys on the outside with Alexander playing the slot..... Would be a nice look for us on defense.

texaspackerbacker
05-26-2020, 02:10 PM
Look out for the albino French Canadian version of Richard Sherman, Marc-Antoine Decouy.

6'3" 198
4.35 40
6.65 3 cone
37" very

Put him at WR - the name says it all.

RashanGary
05-26-2020, 03:19 PM
Savage has got to be the best bet to be great of the young guys. Had such a decent showing as a rookie. Sky high upside. Same defense, same guys around him. All of the conditions are just right for a huge growth year.

RashanGary
05-26-2020, 03:21 PM
Savage being the best bet....

Gary has to be the biggest "hope." We need that defensive front to be stronger. Gary panning out would be huge.

RashanGary
05-26-2020, 03:28 PM
Elgton Jenkins might be the surest thing

Bretsky
05-26-2020, 09:49 PM
Savage being the best bet....

Gary has to be the biggest "hope." We need that defensive front to be stronger. Gary panning out would be huge.

Yup; we're stuck with that sack for shit for a few more years so I'm a huge fan.

BACONATOR< MAKE YOURSELF GOOD !!!!!!!!!!!!

RashanGary
05-26-2020, 10:54 PM
Yup; we're stuck with that sack for shit for a few more years so I'm a huge fan.

:lol:

pbmax
05-26-2020, 11:16 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA4DR4vEgrs

8 hour perfume for your 24 hour women. Still doesn't make sense 40 years later.

RashanGary
05-27-2020, 01:27 PM
Perfume doesn't make sense to me. I like the smell of sweat and vagina. I don't want no chemical aroma getting in the way.

HarveyWallbangers
05-28-2020, 12:21 AM

6'3" 198
4.35 40
6.65 3 cone
37" very

That reminds me, whatever happened to Moritz Boehringer? Remember when Mayock talked Rick Spielman into taking that stiff?

Moritz

6'4" 227
4.49 40
6.64 3 cone
39" vertical
131" broad jump

Fritz
05-28-2020, 09:38 AM
Mercedes Lewis is working on speed and agility drills this offseason. I see a breakout year for him. He's got potential, that one.

run pMc
05-28-2020, 12:00 PM
That reminds me, whatever happened to Moritz Boehringer? Remember when Mayock talked Rick Spielman into taking that stiff?

Moritz

6'4" 227
4.49 40
6.64 3 cone
39" vertical
131" broad jump

There were some here that were enamored of him. He signed with CIN to play TE. I think MIN spent an R6 for him.

International players that test well don't give me a lot of optimism personally. The Margus Hunts and Bjorn Werners of the world get overdrafted.

sharpe1027
05-28-2020, 12:03 PM
All these receiving targets are identified for a breakout. In order for that to happen, barring setbacks elsewhere on the receiving group, Rodgers will also have a significant improvement in his numbers. Hard to have one without the other.