PDA

View Full Version : #1 WI Sports Moment, Desmond Howard and the Super Bowl 31 Win

pbmax
05-22-2020, 08:13 AM
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2020/05/22/50-greatest-wisconsin-sports-moments-no-1-packers-win-sb-xxxi/3115393001/

Best notes:
1. Outdueling Michael Bates in the NFC Championship Game. Both players were talking a bit pregame but Bates correctly noted Desmond had been a more successful punt returner that year than KO returner. Desmond and his boys put up 26 yards per KO return. Bates had 14.8. Bates had averaged 30 in the 1996 season.

2. Don "Freaking" Beebe was on the KO return team. That's how you get to a Super Bowl with good ST. If Funchess is on punt return this camp, I will take it as a good sign.

3. Keith McKenzie was on KO return which just seems unfair to the kickoff team.

4. Andre Rison's TD catch was an audible. If not for Bruce Wilkerson, the award would be the Andre Rison Thanks for Saving our Ass Award.

"It was an audible," Rison said. "Brett came to the line of scrimmage and saw the safeties come down and he (called an audible) and changed the play. I had a post on (Smith) and caught him in man-to-man coverage. I just ran the route, and Brett just hit me with a great pass."

texaspackerbacker
05-22-2020, 01:05 PM
Must be young people making the list hahahahaha.

Super Bowl #1 and Lombardi's comments after has to top the list.

The 37-0 victory over the Giants for the NFL Championship a year or two before Super Bowl 1 also is near the top.

It's sports in general, so the 1957 World Series championship of the Braves over the Yankees is also right there.

I would also include the coin flip heard around the world where the Bucks got Alcindor/Jabbar that led to literally more than two decades of excellence with the two trades that followed.

The Badgers 1963 Rosebowl 42-37 loss to USC when we had Vanderkellen and Richter also is in the running.

pbmax
05-22-2020, 01:48 PM
Must be young people making the list hahahahaha.

Super Bowl #1 and Lombardi's comments after has to top the list.

The 37-0 victory over the Giants for the NFL Championship a year or two before Super Bowl 1 also is near the top.

It's sports in general, so the 1957 World Series championship of the Braves over the Yankees is also right there.

I would also include the coin flip heard around the world where the Bucks got Alcindor/Jabbar that led to literally more than two decades of excellence with the two trades that followed.

The Badgers 1963 Rosebowl 42-37 loss to USC when we had Vanderkellen and Richter also is in the running.

Top 50 Moments in Last 50 years

1970-2020

texaspackerbacker
05-22-2020, 01:58 PM
Oh, last 50 years, huh? That conveniently leaves out the best stuff hahahahahaha. Typical media shit.

hoosier
05-26-2020, 10:54 AM
Oh, last 50 years, huh? That conveniently leaves out the best stuff hahahahahaha. Typical media shit.

Nah, 1996 was objectively better by virtue of the endless desert separating that year from anything resembling good.

Rosebowl loss to USC vying for greatest moment in WI sports history???? What have you been smoking?

Bruce Wilkerson award: I have always thought of that as someone plucked out of the trash heap who unexpectedly ends up making a meaningful contribution. But if Rison is a good example of a Wilkerson candidate, he shows us that saving the season isn't enough: you have to also be someone whose value to the team expires precisely as the season ends. Wilkerson, because his body wouldn't hold up to the rigors of a full season. Rison, because Holmie and Wolf knew they wouldn't be able to tolerate his presence for an entire season. So we need to add to the list of criteria the idea of a clear best-by date.