PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know this trivia answer

jklowan
06-09-2020, 03:48 PM
There was a Division 1 college football game where a QB threw a touchdown pass to his wide receiver. One of them was a heisman trophy winner. And the other a NFL MVP. They have 23 pro bowls between them and neither are in the hall of fame. Can you name both players?

jklowan
06-09-2020, 03:48 PM
I do not have an answer

StPaulPackFan
06-09-2020, 04:01 PM
Could it be Tom Brady to Charles Woodson?

mraynrand
06-09-2020, 04:18 PM
[COLOR=#000000][FONT="]There was a Division 1 college football game where a QB threw a touchdown pass to his wide receiver. One of them was a heisman trophy winner. And the other a NFL MVP.

It's a trick question: no NFL MVP ever played in a college game.

Zool
06-09-2020, 05:39 PM

This sounds right, neither is eligible for the HoF yet. Played at Michigan together.

Check out the big brain on Brad.

Smidgeon
06-09-2020, 06:11 PM
The Heisman winner had to be a WR. If I remember correctly no NFL WR has been an MVP.

Smidgeon
06-09-2020, 06:14 PM

Trivia or specifically worded trick question? You are likely correct, but "his wide receiver" wording is going to throw people (like me) off.

wist43
06-09-2020, 06:20 PM
This sounds right, neither is eligible for the HoF yet. Played at Michigan together.

Check out the big brain on Brad.

Well, we all know what happened to Brad :)

https://youtu.be/Y6YBKdmOlM8

wist43
06-09-2020, 06:21 PM
The Heisman winner had to be a WR. If I remember correctly no NFL WR has been an MVP.

Woodson did play some WR.

Zool
06-09-2020, 06:52 PM
Well, we all know what happened to Brad :)

https://youtu.be/Y6YBKdmOlM8

Yeah we do. He had a delicious burger.

Patler
06-09-2020, 07:17 PM

That sounded like a great answer, so I checked. College football stats list Brady's first TD pass being the year after Woodson left.

Hard to think of two other college teammates with that many Pro Bowls, let alone meeting the other requirements.

mraynrand
06-09-2020, 08:29 PM
Was thinking maybe Brees to Peterman, but they didn't connect in AP's brief stint in NO and neither was a Heisman winner.

Joemailman
06-09-2020, 08:35 PM
nm

Fosco33
06-09-2020, 08:36 PM
Chuck had 9. Brady has 14 pro bowls

Joemailman
06-09-2020, 08:59 PM
Chuck had 9. Brady has 14 pro bowls

Woodson had TD receptions in 1996 and 1997. But according to wiki, Brady had no TD passes in 1996 or 1997. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady

mraynrand
06-09-2020, 10:11 PM
Was thinking maybe Brees to Peterman, but they didn't connect in AP's brief stint in NO and neither was a Heisman winner.

oops :)

Patler
06-10-2020, 02:16 AM
That sounded like a great answer, so I checked. College football stats list Brady's first TD pass being the year after Woodson left.

Hard to think of two other college teammates with that many Pro Bowls, let alone meeting the other requirements.

Woodson had TD receptions in 1996 and 1997. But according to wiki, Brady had no TD passes in 1996 or 1997. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady

Yup, I even checked their bowl games, in case Brady had one that didn't show up in his season stats. Nothing. Checked several sources. No TD passes for Brady in the years he and Woodson were teammates.

texaspackerbacker
06-10-2020, 06:42 AM
I haven't been able to come up with an answer either, but I did have this thought: what if his WR was a DB too - like Woodson - and the "TD pass" was a pick six? I checked Oakland QBs who played with Woodson, and none of them seemed to fit, but maybe some other similar pair. Rich Gannon was MVP in 2002 and is not in the Hall of Fame, but I doubt his Delaware Blue Hens ever played Michigan. There are actually ten retired MVP QBs who are not in the Hall of Fame, but there are very few Heisman winning WRs who might have also played some DB. I tried to correlate them but came up dry.

mraynrand
06-10-2020, 07:42 AM
It has to be recent because there’s no pair in history who has that combination of mvp and pro bowls who aren’t in the HOF. It can’t be Nile Kinnick and Don Hutson for example. (And they did not overlap in college)

mraynrand
06-10-2020, 07:43 AM
On an unrelated note, in a four year career, Kregg Lumpkin has 42 rushes and 45 receptions but never scored a touchdown.

pbmax
06-10-2020, 08:10 AM
I come to this site because nowhere else but their family text chains do you get Kinnick and Lumpkin mentions.

My guess of Eddie George (1 reception TD in college) and a Hoying brother (Bobby or Tom) or Stanley Jackson did not pan out.

mraynrand
06-10-2020, 08:19 AM
It’s got to be a current QB throwing to a Heisman winner before one or both transferred. (Or more likely it’s Brady/Woodson and the question is inaccurate)

texaspackerbacker
06-10-2020, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I'm beginning to think the question is inaccurate. There are so few Heisman winners who were anybody's Wide Receiver, and the few it could have been like Tim Brown and Desmond Howard, not to mention Woodson, don't seem to correlate with any NFL MVP who threw passes in college but isn't in the Hall.

RashanGary
06-10-2020, 10:31 AM
Manning and Witten?

mraynrand
06-10-2020, 01:53 PM
Manning and Witten?

Written was never MVP nor Heisman

I thought Manning was already in the HOF but I guess this year is five years. He’s a good guess for the QB (assuming it’s a QB and not a trick play scenario)

Zool
06-10-2020, 02:01 PM
Peerless Price was the WR with the most NFL success from Peyton's years in Tennessee, but no Pro Bowls.

SudsMcBucky
06-10-2020, 02:06 PM
Peerless Price was the WR with the most NFL success from Peyton's years in Tennessee, but no Pro Bowls.

Funny story. His kids went to the same small private school as my daughter. At Field Day, I got to race him in the 40, along with the other dads. On the bad side, let's just say it wasn't a race. On the good side, I at least came in 2nd out of about 25. Pearless turned around and "ran" the last 10 yards backwards. LOL.

Zool
06-10-2020, 02:08 PM
I thought maybe this was a trick and it was Hornung and someone else, but he only had 3 Pro Bowls. I can't find a QB that had 20.

Zool
06-10-2020, 02:10 PM
Funny story. His kids went to the same small private school as my daughter. At Field Day, I got to race him in the 40, along with the other dads. On the bad side, let's just say it wasn't a race. On the good side, I at least came in 2nd out of about 25. Pearless turned around and "ran" the last 10 yards backwards. LOL.

That's an awesome story. I have a similar brush. I went to high school with Darryl Thompson. I was a sophomore when he was a senior. We played a game of pick-up football at a local park. It quickly went from tackle to 2 hand touch. There's a different level of speed that those guys have. We were all running in oatmeal by comparison.

Fosco33
06-10-2020, 02:47 PM
I was thinking Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees based on probowls. But Brees doesn’t have an MVP or a Heisman.

Smidgeon
06-10-2020, 03:11 PM
The question has to be inaccurate. The only people with more than 11 probowls not in the HoF are Manning, Brady, Brees, Witten, and Fitzgerald. If it isn't Brady or Manning (since Brees hasn't been an MVP), there are absolutely no combination of non HoFers that have a combined 23 probowls. Charles Woodson is the only player from the right era with at least 9 probowls who was not an offensive or defensive lineman (and all of those were non-transfer players in college). There are no other combinations that would make 23 probowls.

The only way this trivia question would be right is if there was a all-star game or senior game or east v west game or something (I don't know much about college ball) where they connected for a TD.

Other than that chance (which might be impossible for all I know), the question is inaccurate.

QBME
06-10-2020, 05:33 PM
So, jklowan, what say ye?

jklowan
06-10-2020, 05:57 PM
I think the question is wrong, I'm going to submit brady and woodson and see what he says

RashanGary
06-10-2020, 09:11 PM
I think the question is wrong, I'm going to submit brady and woodson and see what he says

You bastard! Make us all scour for your answer :lol:

run pMc
06-11-2020, 11:15 AM
The only way this trivia question would be right is if there was a all-star game or senior game or east v west game or something (I don't know much about college ball) where they connected for a TD.

I suspect this is correct.

SudsMcBucky
06-11-2020, 11:36 AM

Then that would leave us with only 2 choices for WR. Desmond Howard, and Tim Brown are the only "WR's" to win the Heisman. One article listed Johnny Rodgers as a 3rd potential WR who won the Heisman.

HowardRoark
06-11-2020, 12:26 PM
One article listed Johnny Rodgers as a 3rd potential WR who won the Heisman.

....and Jerry Tagge had his all his Pro-Bowls and MVP seasons with the Pack.

texaspackerbacker
06-11-2020, 01:43 PM
Don't blame poor jklowan too much. If it hadn't been for this apparently flawed trivia thing, apparently Packers section posting would have been completely empty these past few days.

If there is any validity to the question, I'm still wondering if maybe the TD pass wasn't a pick six.

Smidgeon
06-11-2020, 02:20 PM
Don't blame poor jklowan too much. If it hadn't been for this apparently flawed trivia thing, apparently Packers section posting would have been completely empty these past few days.

If there is any validity to the question, I'm still wondering if maybe the TD pass wasn't a pick six.

I thought about it too, but the question is worded "his wide receiver", so not a pick six.

Patler
06-11-2020, 08:40 PM
Players not in HOF, and having 9-14 Pro Bowls. No one has more than 14.

14 – Peyton Manning, Tom Brady
13 – Drew Brees
11 – Jason Witten, Larry Fitzgerald
10 – Joe Thomas
9 – John Lynch, Walt Sweeney, Jim Tyrer, Demarcus Ware, Maxie Baughan, Ruben Brown, Charles Woodson, Alan Faneca, Jason Peters

Heisman winners of the above - Woodson
NFL MVPs of the above - Manning, Brady

We know the answer isn't Brady/Woodson. Manning and Woodson were in the same draft class. Did they play an all-star game together? Did Manning throw a TD pass to Woodson?

sharpe1027
06-11-2020, 09:43 PM
Was the touchdown thrown, but then called back for a penalty?

mraynrand
06-12-2020, 07:18 AM
A Pick six is still a TD throw... Favre knows this all too well. :)

Fosco33
06-16-2020, 08:35 AM
Or it was a spring intramural game or something

mraynrand
06-16-2020, 10:02 AM
Somewhere on another message board is the following thread:

Create an impossible message board challenge

"Hey guys, I am a member of a Packer forum called Packerrats. Those self-absorbed self-proclaimed experts get under my skin. Help me come up with a question that has an entirely plausible answer, but has no actual answer and is murky enough so as to be impossible to dismiss as fake. I'll report back the hilarity that ensues at a later date. Thanks!"

-jklowan

jklowan
06-16-2020, 12:54 PM
Somewhere on another message board is the following thread:

Create an impossible message board challenge

"Hey guys, I am a member of a Packer forum called Packerrats. Those self-absorbed self-proclaimed experts get under my skin. Help me come up with a question that has an entirely plausible answer, but has no actual answer and is murky enough so as to be impossible to dismiss as fake. I'll report back the hilarity that ensues at a later date. Thanks!"

-jklowan

LOL...what post in this thread is so hilarious that I would want to share? I was having trouble figuring this out, I respect some of the knowledge here so I thought I would share and see if anyone came up with anything. Without this post this site was dead for the last 2 weeks anyhow

mraynrand
06-16-2020, 02:56 PM
:)