PDA

View Full Version : Griffen

Tony Oday
07-29-2020, 09:18 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-packers-expressed-interest-everson-190958842.html

So who can play in the middle?

GB-Brandon
07-29-2020, 10:53 AM
Nobody other then Kenny Clark really. A Clark injury would be catastrophic.

Major Hole!!!

bobblehead
07-29-2020, 04:33 PM
Nobody other then Kenny Clark really. A Clark injury would be catastrophic.

Major Hole!!!

Z is an inside rusher so he can play in the middle. Or the fat run stuffers can play there. But as far as a duel threat, its true, the packers like every team in the NFL have limited inside guys who can stop the run AND get after a passer. As a matter of fact we have one more of them than most teams have.

GB-Brandon
07-29-2020, 10:00 PM
Z is an inside rusher so he can play in the middle. Or the fat run stuffers can play there. But as far as a duel threat, its true, the packers like every team in the NFL have limited inside guys who can stop the run AND get after a passer. As a matter of fact we have one more of them than most teams have.

Lowry is average at best. He might be okay but not with all the responsibilities Pettine runs with 2 DL sets with sometimes only 1 ILB against power run teams. Lancaster is more or less just another body.

So part of it is personnel and the other part is scheme. Adding a player like Griffen doesn’t do anything for us other then creating more depth behind Z. Griffen would not be able to hold up in Lowry’s spot in Pettine’s scheme on early run downs.

The $ and resources should obviously be spent elsewhere that i don’t believe I even need to list.

GB-Brandon
07-29-2020, 10:10 PM
Once again Gute passed on taking a shot on getting a very talented ILB prospect or DL prospect in the draft to help push this defense over the top. Instead he thought it was time to pull the plug and go chase a unicorn from Utah State that threw 17 interceptions.

Time will tell!!!

I would of been happy with Jordyn Brooks!!!

run pMc
07-30-2020, 12:07 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-packers-expressed-interest-everson-190958842.html

So who can play in the middle?

I expect the Vikings and Bears are asking the same thing after Pierce and Goldman opted out.

The Packers interest in Griffin strikes me as just how Gute does business; with TT he'd quietly kick the tires on people, Gute -- and other GMs like Schneider -- aren't quiet about it. Just because you ask and don't deny the reports doesn't mean you're dead set on adding them to the team.

IF they signed Griffin I expect they'd play him like they do Z. I don't think he could hold up full time at 3T (he's a 4-3 DE). Obvious passing downs could be fun with the Smiths, Gary and Griffin all standing up and confusing an OL (they might have to play one DL on the line like Kenny, but still). Fun to speculate, but consider me skeptical anything happens.

texaspackerbacker
07-30-2020, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers sign Griffen if: they were confident he still had something in the tank and if the price was right. Having a fresh rotation of the Smiths, Gary, and him would be good as well as insurance against injuries, and in obvious passing situations, put 3 or even all 4 of them across the front in any order - that would be one helluva pass rush.

It might have been good to get rid of Lancaster, Lowry, or both, but that position mainly occupies blockers will the ILBs and outside guys actually stop the run anyway.

GB-Brandon
08-01-2020, 11:25 AM
The more I think about this I think it might be a good idea. Pettine has experience running different fronts. Maybe this allows him to do some different things.

Just not sure we have the LB’s to play 4-3 fronts.

call_me_ishmael
08-02-2020, 09:20 PM
Dean Lowry signing looking like a mistake to me. He is just a guy. They could easily replace him with an older vet for 50% of the price and likely get better production.

GB-Brandon
08-03-2020, 12:26 AM
Yeah, Lowry was an “Over-Pay” and we’re stuck with him this year with guaranteed $. Definitely add it to the mistake list.

smuggler
08-03-2020, 03:46 PM
Lowry was paid for his youth more than anything. He's been healthy up to now, so there have definitely been worse contracts, but I agree. He did not take any steps forward after signing him.