PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Thread

call_me_ishmael
08-07-2020, 08:45 PM
So is training camp happening? So f'n weird without the media reports. August is normally my favorite month following all of training camp and getting into the regular season.

Tap tap tap is this thing on?

How's Rashan Gary looking?

texaspackerbacker
08-07-2020, 11:32 PM
It's about time we have a training camp thread. I've seen a few reports, but very few.

When are we gonna have a roster prediction thread and a record prediction thread?

run pMc
08-08-2020, 04:49 PM
Practices start Aug 15, I believe.

texaspackerbacker
08-08-2020, 11:19 PM
No preseason at all, and no fans in Lambeau for at least the first two home games. S-h-i-i-i-t.

call_me_ishmael
08-08-2020, 11:58 PM
Practice hasn't even started yet? What the heck are the players doing in GB?

Freak Out
08-09-2020, 01:36 AM
Bring all the players in and bubble them. Get to work. By the time he season starts they will be so pissed and full of pent up sexual energy they will destroy opponents.

GB-Brandon
08-09-2020, 01:10 PM
From what I gather their doing all the installs that they missed from OTA’s and Mini-Camp.

GB-Brandon
08-09-2020, 02:42 PM
The backfield is stacked. That’s for sure. Most talent 1-4 they have probably ever had. Then you throw in Deguara at FB at times and it’s pretty impressive.

I think Dexter Williams will make this roster.

call_me_ishmael
08-09-2020, 10:43 PM
Bring all the players in and bubble them. Get to work. By the time he season starts they will be so pissed and full of pent up sexual energy they will destroy opponents.

For real. Joking aside, the NFL should really follow the NBAs lead and do the divisional games first in a bubble and see where we're at come December.

call_me_ishmael
08-10-2020, 12:02 PM
If I was the NFL, I would do this:

First 6 weeks are divisional games at bubble site one.

Then have teams travel by bus to site 2. Here the teams play their opposite conference divisional opponents for four weeks.

You're not at week 10, so I would give everyone a one week bye and the league could re-evaluate what it's going to do.

What I would do is this:

Let's say bye ends on a Sunday. Everyone should travel to the next site and check in on Sunday. They then quarantine for a week, then another week of practice, etc. So 3 weeks total off of football. It'd be less than ideal, but it is what it is.

I would then finish the season with another divisional rivalry. Each division plays 4 games against another division. If the league felt so inclined, do another 2 games against that same divison to keep things interesting.

It's now playoff time, so all playoff teams travel to the bubble site (I would say make it Indianapolis in the dome personally). They quarantine for a week, etc, then they start the playoffs as they normally do.

This recipe would almost certainly work and would keep things on a somewhat normal-ish schedule.

Will it happen? No. Will football successfully happen if they don't follow a plan like this? Probably not.

GB-Brandon
08-12-2020, 07:38 PM
I will be making an attempt to attend as much of camp as I can once the pads come on. I’ve been checking out some spots around nitschke Field to get a birds eye view where fans will be allowed. I’m expecting a lot of live scrimmaging at camp due to zero pre-season games so should be fun. I will be giving as many updates as possible.

Practice starts Saturday with an off day Sunday and back on Monday but without pads probably for the first week.

call_me_ishmael
08-13-2020, 12:14 AM
I thought it was no fans, no media?

GB-Brandon
08-13-2020, 11:26 AM
I thought it was no fans, no media?

Some levels of media apparently are allowed at the practices. The way Nitschke Field is designed is there is chain link all around the perimeter so I’m not sure how they plan to block it all off. Well just have to wait and see how aggressive they are with blocking off the perimeter around Nitschke field.

GB-Brandon
08-15-2020, 11:23 AM
Dillion is a “Grown Man”

RashanGary
08-15-2020, 11:25 AM
Deguara starting FB
Lane Taylor starting RG
Billy Turner starting RT

RashanGary
08-15-2020, 11:26 AM
Swervin Ervin looks to be a WR

GB-Brandon
08-15-2020, 12:20 PM
I saw something where Dillon ran against a stacked box in college 75 percent of the time and still ran for over 1200 yards against it with many of the yards after contact.

I think he is gonna be a beast in this offense with having some more space. He can catch somewhat too.

bobblehead
08-15-2020, 12:40 PM
I hope Dillon adds an element of smash. I think we are going to see a lot of injuries this year as teams don't play preseason and then try to go 100% for a full game out of the gate. I hope Flower runs 4 heavy contact practices, almost scrimmage like to let these guys get used to hitting in phases.

GB-Brandon
08-15-2020, 09:01 PM
Big Surprise Everyone!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2904845-packers-qb-jordan-love-has-a-lot-to-clean-up-right-now-matt-lafleur-says

GB-Brandon
08-15-2020, 09:06 PM
Maybe this whole thing will get Gute Fired and we can get someone in here to put some real weapons around Rodgers.

GB-Brandon
08-15-2020, 09:09 PM
I hope Dillon adds an element of smash. I think we are going to see a lot of injuries this year as teams don't play preseason and then try to go 100% for a full game out of the gate. I hope Flower runs 4 heavy contact practices, almost scrimmage like to let these guys get used to hitting in phases.

Dillon is $. Probably their best pick of the draft.

call_me_ishmael
08-15-2020, 09:52 PM
Jordan Love got some chicken legs.

GB-Brandon
08-15-2020, 10:15 PM

He is a huge huge project. A way bigger project then Rashan Gary. It is really gonna come down to hard this kid is going to work and how mentally strong he is and maybe not even then. HE DOESN'T SEE THE FIELD WELL!!! I have some reservations regarding this. I posted after the draft of these things I had heard about him and people ignored me and said i was basically a fucken idiot and ignored me. Well see how it plays out.

He is so lucky that they are treating Nitschke Field like its Homeland Security and they have everything tarped off so nobody can see anything from the outside. He isn't gonna have to show anything in any pre-season games either. They just get to hide him like a little baby. Gute's little baby project. It will be interesting to see how Flower handles this moving forward if development doesn't happen as planned and watch how he maneuvers around to try and pivot and separate from the guy to try and save his ass. This is gonna be interesting for sure but not really that fun due to the cost of all this bullshit.

call_me_ishmael
08-15-2020, 10:18 PM
Love is a way bigger project without the upside beyond being at a high impact position. This dude isn't a Rashan Gary type prospect. That'd be more of the Josh Allen type. Love isn't really a freaky athlete or uniquely talented by any measure AFAICT.

GB-Brandon
08-15-2020, 10:30 PM
Love is a way bigger project without the upside beyond being at a high impact position. This dude isn't a Rashan Gary type prospect. That'd be more of the Josh Allen type. Love isn't really a freaky athlete or uniquely talented by any measure AFAICT.

Gary is a whole different discussion but yes to a degree. I still consider Gary a project. Love has a big time arm so that's why I would put him in this category of high upside. The problem is as you probably know there is just so much more to it then having a big time arm and being able to make "All The Throws". Josh Allen is a pretty good comp. I'm really worried about Love's ability to read the field and defense's in the NFL. I think he is gonna be a pick machine and the mental toughness is a huge concern.

I am also very very very concerned about the intangibles regarding this. This whole thing just doesn't make any sense.

GB-Brandon
08-15-2020, 10:36 PM
Both Gary and Love entered the draft coming off years of mediocre production. That's the "COMMON DENOMINATOR"!!!!!

Go get some PRODUCTION GUTE!!

texaspackerbacker
08-16-2020, 09:39 AM
I'm withholding judgment on Love. The bottom line is they aren't gonna need him this season.

As for bust or not in the future, I hated it when they drafted him, just like a lot of other people, but they must see something in him, and they must have made the judgment call that we didn't need WRs or anything else all that much. IMO, Gutekunst has performed well enough - extremely much better than Ted Thompson, so I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt - for a while anyway. You could argue that getting high potential guys coming off low production years is smart/bargain hunting. How smart, though, remains to be seen.

I'm also expecting a big year and a long Packer career from Aaron Rodgers - despite the panicky crap that flows from some people, both in here and in the damn media.

GB-Brandon
08-16-2020, 09:54 AM
I'm withholding judgment on Love. The bottom line is they aren't gonna need him this season.

As for bust or not in the future, I hated it when they drafted him, just like a lot of other people, but they must see something in him, and they must have made the judgment call that we didn't need WRs or anything else all that much. IMO, Gutekunst has performed well enough - extremely much better than Ted Thompson, so I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt - for a while anyway. You could argue that getting high potential guys coming off low production years is smart/bargain hunting. How smart, though, remains to be seen.

I'm also expecting a big year and a long Packer career from Aaron Rodgers - despite the panicky crap that flows from some people, both in here and in the damn media.

Then we have the wrong people "Making Judgement's" and it's really that simple.

The whole world knows were weak at WR and if even if you don't believe that then go back and watch the NFC Champ game where we gave up a RUSHING RECORD to some no namer and got embarrassed in front of the world and got our fucken teeth kicked in. oh yeah, we also lost our second best O-Lineman in free agency.

"WE DID'NT NEED ANYTHING ELSE?"

bobblehead
08-16-2020, 11:12 AM

So did Joe Montana, Kapernick, and Rodgers, right off the top of my head. Maybe he can borrow some of Dillons Earl Campbell legs.

bobblehead
08-16-2020, 11:14 AM

I think his sparq/ras score was really high actually.

run pMc
08-16-2020, 01:21 PM
I think his sparq/ras score was really high actually.

RAS 8.45, SPARQ 94.1
https://relativeathleticscores.com/2020/01/28/jordan-love-ras/#:~:text=Jordan%20Love%20was%20drafted%20by,out%20 of%20a%20possible%2010.0.
https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/jordan-love/

ICYC, Aaron Rodgers graded a RAS of 7.16 and SPARQ of 99.5

I expect Love to look iffy and for some people to have an anuerysm about the pick this year, forgetting Rodgers looked garbage his 1st year.
GB shouldn't need Love to play this year and he should develop with proper coaching. Dude's got an arm and sufficient athleticism, it's a matter of his fundamentals and what's between the ears.

texaspackerbacker
08-16-2020, 01:57 PM
Then we have the wrong people "Making Judgement's" and it's really that simple.

The whole world knows were weak at WR and if even if you don't believe that then go back and watch the NFC Champ game where we gave up a RUSHING RECORD to some no namer and got embarrassed in front of the world and got our fucken teeth kicked in. oh yeah, we also lost our second best O-Lineman in free agency.

"WE DID'NT NEED ANYTHING ELSE?"

I was campaigning for a speedy WR during the draft, but now that things are settled down, I'm satisfied that we have plenty of quality and quantity at WR.

As for those other needs, I would like to see an upgrade at ILB too, but that's not a position where it's smart to grab one too early in the draft. And we do have people currently on the team - disrespected by many in here, but I'll go with the opinion of the GM and coaching staff over that.

RT, we did draft help there. That also is a position where I wouldn't want to see one taken to early - the bust factor is too great. Somebody said Lane Taylor is starting at RG with Turner moving to RT. That sounds pretty adequate to me. Most of our running success is over the G/C spots anyway, and Aaron Rodgers has proven for years that he can thrive even with lame-assed pass blocking - which I know many disagree we have had, but I never liked Bakhtiari much, and the whole line basically gave him about 1 second pocket on most plays - based on my observation. Lost our second best O Lineman? I'll take Jenkins and Linsley over Bakhtiari and Bulaga any day.

GB-Brandon
08-16-2020, 05:21 PM
I was campaigning for a speedy WR during the draft, but now that things are settled down, I'm satisfied that we have plenty of quality and quantity at WR.

As for those other needs, I would like to see an upgrade at ILB too, but that's not a position where it's smart to grab one too early in the draft. And we do have people currently on the team - disrespected by many in here, but I'll go with the opinion of the GM and coaching staff over that.

RT, we did draft help there. That also is a position where I wouldn't want to see one taken to early - the bust factor is too great. Somebody said Lane Taylor is starting at RG with Turner moving to RT. That sounds pretty adequate to me. Most of our running success is over the G/C spots anyway, and Aaron Rodgers has proven for years that he can thrive even with lame-assed pass blocking - which I know many disagree we have had, but I never liked Bakhtiari much, and the whole line basically gave him about 1 second pocket on most plays - based on my observation. Lost our second best O Lineman? I'll take Jenkins and Linsley over Bakhtiari and Bulaga any day.

Billy Tuner at RT should be interesting. LOL

GB-Brandon
08-16-2020, 05:26 PM
They missed on Lucas Niang in the 3rd round. They also missed on John Hightower in the 4th. They missed on Quez Watkins or James Porche in the 6th. They Missed all over the place. It was the worst nightmare ever.

Production Baby!!!

call_me_ishmael
08-16-2020, 11:08 PM
So did Joe Montana, Kapernick, and Rodgers, right off the top of my head. Maybe he can borrow some of Dillons Earl Campbell legs.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Efe2q_sWsAESnGA?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Efecl19XkAEyXMY?format=jpg&name=medium

GB-Brandon
08-16-2020, 11:45 PM
I wish they would just fire Gute now.

GB-Brandon
08-16-2020, 11:55 PM
I don’t know if it’s even safe for Jordan Love to play in the NFL. LOL!!!!!

“Snap, Crackle, POP”

GB-Brandon
08-17-2020, 12:01 AM
Looks like he has been working real hard and putting in extra time in the weight room. That’s for sure!!!!

GB-Brandon
08-17-2020, 12:33 AM
fire this Gute bum and get John Dorsey in here. He will fix this shit up quick!!! Then we can start winning Super Bowls again and having some fun again. Let’s actually restore “Raising The G” and get back to doing it the right way!!!!

call_me_ishmael
08-17-2020, 12:46 PM
Dillion got enough calves for two people tho. Thighland fo' shizzle. Tree trunks!

GB-Brandon
08-17-2020, 12:54 PM
Dillion got enough calves for two people tho. Thighland fo' shizzle. Tree trunks!

Dillion “Belongs”. Love looks like he should be turning out for the “Tennis Team.”

George Cumby
08-17-2020, 09:04 PM
Just for laughs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AKvgLK0TKE

bobblehead
08-18-2020, 09:30 AM
I don’t know if it’s even safe for Jordan Love to play in the NFL. LOL!!!!!

“Snap, Crackle, POP”

Time will tell if he misses as much time as Rodgers has in his career. Rodgers has actually been incredibly fragile for a QB in todays game. I think he had 2 injuries playing almost no snaps his first 3 years, then of course he has missed a couple half seasons since 2013. I can't think of too many QBs who have missed that much time in recent history. Yea, basically the guy has been very fragile throughout his career.

bobblehead
08-18-2020, 09:31 AM
Dillion “Belongs”. Love looks like he should be turning out for the “Tennis Team.”

Yea, love has some skinny legs in that picture CMI posted. But comparing a 22 year olds legs to a 36 year old isn't fair. I just hope Love is more durable than our current QB has been throughout his career.

texaspackerbacker
08-18-2020, 09:42 AM
Time will tell if he misses as much time as Rodgers has in his career. Rodgers has actually been incredibly fragile for a QB in todays game. I think he had 2 injuries playing almost no snaps his first 3 years, then of course he has missed a couple half seasons since 2013. I can't think of too many QBs who have missed that much time in recent history. Yea, basically the guy has been very fragile throughout his career.

Oh come on ...... we all know why Rodgers played so little in his first three years. (yeah, I know he had the injuries, but ......)

After that, I'd say his missed time from injuries has been no worse than average for a starting QB.

And regarding Love, skinny legs don't necessarily mean leg injuries. Those big thick muscles some guys have are just as likely to be a problem.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-18-2020, 09:54 AM
fire this Gute bum and get John Dorsey in here. He will fix this shit up quick!!! Then we can start winning Super Bowls again and having some fun again. Let’s actually restore “Raising The G” and get back to doing it the right way!!!!

Dorsey is too old school for today’s hip hop NFL. The Cleveland gig is proof that Ron Wolf’s egoistic, anti-midget, anti-math, you-either-got-game-or-you-ain’t strategy is obsolete

I, for one, would be dandy with the Packers terminating both the German Shepherd (Gutekunst) and the Frog (LaFleur) and bringing in J-Mac (McDanials) to run the whole she-bang. But if just the German Shepherd, I think Eliot Wolf would be the cooler choice.

GB-Brandon
08-18-2020, 10:21 AM
Dorsey is too old school for today’s hip hop NFL. The Cleveland gig is proof that Ron Wolf’s egoistic, anti-midget, anti-math, you-either-got-game-or-you-ain’t strategy is obsolete

I, for one, would be dandy with the Packers terminating both the German Shepherd (Gutekunst) and the Frog (LaFleur) and bringing in J-Mac (McDanials) to run the whole she-bang. But if just the German Shepherd, I think Eliot Wolf would be the cooler choice.

Yeah, Dorsey only built the Super Bowl Champion Chiefs roster. LOL!!!!

He is too far disconnected.

Green Bay is the perfect spot for Dorsey actually.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-18-2020, 10:30 AM
Yeah, Dorsey only built the Super Bowl Champion Chiefs roster. LOL!!!!

He is too far disconnected.

Green Bay is the perfect spot for Dorsey actually.

Mahomes was Andy Reid’s guy. Chiefs don’t win the SB without Mahomes.

Dorsey took over a Cleveland team with a tons of draft capital and a tons of cap space. Didn’t do fuck.

GB-Brandon
08-18-2020, 10:33 AM
Yea, love has some skinny legs in that picture CMI posted. But comparing a 22 year olds legs to a 36 year old isn't fair. I just hope Love is more durable than our current QB has been throughout his career.

Love doesn't have much to him anywhere though. As Simms would say "NO LEGS AND ASS!" Kinda looks like they grabbed Tony Dungy out of the booth and threw a uniform on him.

That or some kid from a local High School!!! Fits with the whole narrative of everything I have heard if I don't say.

This is what you trade up for in the 1st round with so many other needs on a so called Super Bowl Contender?

UNFORGIVABLE!!!!

GB-Brandon
08-18-2020, 10:40 AM
Mahomes was Andy Reid’s guy. Chiefs don’t win the SB without Mahomes.

Dorsey took over a Cleveland team with a tons of draft capital and a tons of cap space. Didn’t do fuck.

Reid didn't make that trade man. No Way. Yes, Reid liked Mahommes but Dorsey made the trade and wanted him as well. He also built that roster and made them a winner in "one year". The problem in KC is those two had such huge ego's that one had to go and it was Dorsey.

Cleveland was a different situation. Dorsey once again loaded that roster with talent and that talent is still there. The issue there was Freddie Kitchens.

With the Packers Power Structure Dorsey is the right guy. He would have our talent deficiency at WR, ILB, DT taken care of and we never would of drafted some high school bodied QB in the 1st round.

GB-Brandon
08-18-2020, 10:56 AM
The Pattrick Mahommes comparisons should probably stop immediately because Mahommes has a much thicker base which allows him to do many of things that he does in the pocket and moving around while making certain throws against his body.

Mahommes is only 24 BTW.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-18-2020, 11:56 AM
Reid didn't make that trade man. No Way. Yes, Reid liked Mahommes but Dorsey made the trade and wanted him as well. He also built that roster and made them a winner in "one year". The problem in KC is those two had such huge ego's that one had to go and it was Dorsey.

Cleveland was a different situation. Dorsey once again loaded that roster with talent and that talent is still there. The issue there was Freddie Kitchens.

With the Packers Power Structure Dorsey is the right guy. He would have our talent deficiency at WR, ILB, DT taken care of and we never would of drafted some high school bodied QB in the 1st round.

Packers Power Structure? Murphy got rid of the Wolf silos. The GM no longer has absolute authority over the futbol operation. If anything, the tri-power structure currently in place likely would only batter Dorsey’s ego.

I do agree with you that Dorsey woulda upgraded the WR/ILB/DT positions.

texaspackerbacker
08-18-2020, 03:35 PM
I honestly don't know if a comparison to Mahomes is accurate or not, but thickness of base or whatever has nothing to do with it. Mahomes inherited that baseball pitcher arm and has decent foot speed. Those are the two things I want to see from Love. His arm is apparently strong enough, but is it accurate enough? - which would mean if it is, would mean all those college picks were a head problem, and that's more curable than an arm problem. The little bit of film I've seen of Love, he didn't seem to run much. I hope he has at least Rodgers-level foot speed.

GB-Brandon
08-18-2020, 04:39 PM
I honestly don't know if a comparison to Mahomes is accurate or not, but thickness of base or whatever has nothing to do with it. Mahomes inherited that baseball pitcher arm and has decent foot speed. Those are the two things I want to see from Love. His arm is apparently strong enough, but is it accurate enough? - which would mean if it is, would mean all those college picks were a head problem, and that's more curable than an arm problem. The little bit of film I've seen of Love, he didn't seem to run much. I hope he has at least Rodgers-level foot speed.

I firmly disagree. It has a lot to do with it as far as core strength and avoiding injury. Core is everything. Look no further then Russell Wilson. I've seen Wilson get mangled and stretched like a pretzel and that dude has somehow survived. Love would never sustain those hits or plays. He would of been snapped in three places. Wilson's core has also allowed him to do a lot of things such as make throws at certain throwing angles under pressure.

I am not saying that this means Jordan Love does not have a chance in the NFL but it's not something I would look for. You look at JL's thin lower leg area and you would have to think there would be a greater probability they would snap by a 300 pounder falling on him awkwardly. You also look at QB's that had similar builds like RG3 and Desean Watson and they both had serious knee injuries. Love also looks real thin up in the shoulder area all the way up. He needs to put on some weight. Bottom line. I don't believe Love could even survive an NFL season with his current build right but that's just me.

Horrible Pick!!!

It makes sense now why Jordan Love looked kinda funny in his uniform at Utah State.

RashanGary
08-18-2020, 10:50 PM
Kevin King looks in great shape. Gotta be 205 now. I do like Jaire’s full game a little more with the instincts and ability to play every kind of coverage equally well. But king, as a pure man cover guy, I think he’s better at that and has probowl potential.

The secondary is kind of the talk of camp right now. I’m not surprised. Could be a great defense in 2020

RashanGary
08-18-2020, 10:50 PM
Looking through the pics, Lazard looks to be in beast mode physical condition too. Can’t wait!

RashanGary
08-18-2020, 10:51 PM
Really think Lazard and Adams gonna be one of the best 1/2 in football!

bobblehead
08-18-2020, 11:23 PM
Oh come on ...... we all know why Rodgers played so little in his first three years. (yeah, I know he had the injuries, but ......)

After that, I'd say his missed time from injuries has been no worse than average for a starting QB.

And regarding Love, skinny legs don't necessarily mean leg injuries. Those big thick muscles some guys have are just as likely to be a problem.

Brady, Rivers, Brees, Cousins...none of these guys missed the kind of time that Rodgers has.

texaspackerbacker
08-19-2020, 08:03 AM
If I recall, Brady missed most or all of a season - the Pats just kept on winning, though. And all of those guys had better O Lines (IMO) and ran much less than Rodgers.

GB-Brandon
08-19-2020, 10:24 AM
Brady, Rivers, Brees, Cousins...none of these guys missed the kind of time that Rodgers has.

And your definitely a Rodgers Hater.

Add a "Love Jersey" to your "MVS Jersey" collection!!!

Wow, your gonna have so much fun!!!

GB-Brandon
08-19-2020, 11:03 AM
Sounds Like Jordan Love is 3rd string behind Boyle to Me. LOL. What a bunch of Crap!!!

http://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1296111644876169217

GB-Brandon
08-19-2020, 11:07 AM
This is getting to the point where I can see some fans starting to lose interest. What's the point of all this other then to cover shit up?

texaspackerbacker
08-19-2020, 11:15 AM
Boyle should be second and Love third - at least to start with.

WHY would fans be losing interest at this point? Things are finally getting rolling.

GB-Brandon
08-19-2020, 11:24 AM

WHY would fans be losing interest at this point? Things are finally getting rolling.

Reporters can't even report who is working out with what team? Why is that such a big fucken deal? They have several private practices without the media to do their private shit. This is just bullshit.

This makes absolute zero sense. In a normal season fans would be able to be there to see everything the reporters can see anyways.

GB-Brandon
08-19-2020, 11:32 AM
I never thought I would be completely reliant on seeing things "Through the eyes of Aaron Nagler" and it's horrible!!!

bobblehead
08-19-2020, 01:41 PM

I actually love Rodgers. He is right there with anyone I have ever watched. What would make you think I hate him?

run pMc
08-19-2020, 04:11 PM

Agree. I'm actually very interested to hear about how the top 3 picks (Love, Dillion, Deguara) look, as well as the 2nd and 3rd year players. And yes, Boyle should be QB2.
Preseason games are generally horrible, but can be interesting to see how some players do under the lights. Without that plus the shortened camps, I think many fans are grateful there's news.

I do wonder how they are going to keep hundreds of players in their 20's and 30's, plus coaches, virus free for 16+ games. Wouldn't shock me if the season was abbreviated at some point, but am hoping it isn't.

GB-Brandon
08-19-2020, 05:03 PM
Wow, that didn’t last long. Guy probably ran two routes.

http://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1296175414499565568

run pMc
08-20-2020, 09:18 AM
^ LOL. Making room for guys coming off the COVID list so they stay at/under 80. Hunter Bradley > #8 WR, I guess.

GB-Brandon
08-20-2020, 11:54 AM
Packers practiced with pads at Lambeau today. From what I gathered out there.

1. Rodgers and Boyle looked sharp
2. Josh Jackson continues to look improved
3 Dillon has shown nice hands but some early problems in pass blocking
4. Mixed bag from receivers
5. Deguara has shown some natural catching ability
6. Wagner went to locker room with arm injury- “Huge Surprise”

GB-Brandon
08-20-2020, 01:34 PM
If we get stuck with Billy Turner at RT we’re in big big trouble.

bobblehead
08-20-2020, 07:19 PM
Packers practiced with pads at Lambeau today. From what I gathered out there.

1. Rodgers and Boyle looked sharp
2. Josh Jackson continues to look improved

rodgers has failed to get a score and thrown 2 picks in 11 on 11's. How sharp has he looked?

GB-Brandon
08-20-2020, 08:07 PM
rodgers has failed to get a score and thrown 2 picks in 11 on 11's. How sharp has he looked?

He actually threw 3 picks the other day. Depends who you listen too. Since Gute has locked down all communication of who is running with who etc etc and needlessly mind-fucking everyone with all this secret squirrel bullshit who really knows. Everyone is left with who they trust or whatever source they say they have. I saw that Rodgers was crisp and sharp today. Maybe he is attempting to throw to receivers that aren't really open like everybody wanted him to do last year?

THE ONLY UNANIMOUS THING I HAVE HEARD IS JORDAN LOVE SUCKS!!!

Yep, BIG BLUE CHIP LOVE!!!

RashanGary
08-20-2020, 08:26 PM
Does anyone else find the js coverage to be pathetic?

texaspackerbacker
08-20-2020, 08:32 PM
I think Rodgers either is instructed or just on his own, throwing the ball like any other QB would do - not exercising his traditional caution. That's good in practice, as the D gets a more generalized normal situation.

As good as Josh Jackson was in college, there's hope he will still shape up as a pro.

With Dillon's strength and mobility, a little bit of coaching ought to be able to fix any pass blocking deficiencies.

I read somewhere that 7th round pick Vernon Scott, a Safety, is looking good.

GB-Brandon
08-20-2020, 09:08 PM
I think Rodgers either is instructed or just on his own, throwing the ball like any other QB would do - not exercising his traditional caution. That's good in practice, as the D gets a more generalized normal situation.

As good as Josh Jackson was in college, there's hope he will still shape up as a pro.

With Dillon's strength and mobility, a little bit of coaching ought to be able to fix any pass blocking deficiencies.

I read somewhere that 7th round pick Vernon Scott, a Safety, is looking good.

Exactly, He is putting the ball in play and letting guys try and make a play and compete. His individual drills and accuracy are his normal stellar self.

GB-Brandon
08-20-2020, 09:09 PM
Does anyone else find the js coverage to be pathetic?

I've been following Nagler in times like this and i'm usually not the biggest fan.

GB-Brandon
08-20-2020, 09:12 PM
Gute has lost his mind.

http://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/1296532980274548740

Upnorth
08-20-2020, 09:34 PM

He actually threw 3 picks the other day. Depends who you listen too. Since Gute has locked down all communication of who is running with who etc etc and needlessly mind-fucking everyone with all this secret squirrel bullshit who really knows. Everyone is left with who they trust or whatever source they say they have. I saw that Rodgers was crisp and sharp today. Maybe he is attempting to throw to receivers that aren't really open like everybody wanted him to do last year?

Lol yesterday espn reported that love was sharp in the two minute drill right after arod threw a pick. At least you stick to your talking points.

GB-Brandon
08-20-2020, 11:35 PM
Lol yesterday espn reported that love was sharp in the two minute drill right after arod threw a pick. At least you stick to your talking points.

According too Aaron Nagler who is at camp and is following the team much more closely then ESPN gives Love about almost a zero percent chance of getting past Boyle which I consider a huge failure for a QB that was traded up for in the first round. Someone that is supposed to be so damn talented and blah blah blah should have no problem coming in and beating out Boyle on sheer talent alone. I expect people to make excuses for him though and Gute as well. Oh yeah but Gute says media can’t say who is working out with who. What a shit show. Dumbest Fucken thing ever. It’s Fucken training camp!!! His pick Sucks Balls and he Knows it!!

Looks like we already need a RT but hey Gute used a 1st and 4th on a 3rd string QB. This is exactly Fucken Why the Packers aren’t gonna win the Fucken Super Bowl for quite some time!!!

#FireGuteNow!!!

texaspackerbacker
08-21-2020, 04:54 AM
Gute has lost his mind.

http://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/1296532980274548740

Mostly good stuff there. We went 13-3 with Billy Turner in the O Line, and he supposedly does better at Tackle than at Guard, plus, I'd rather have a healthy Lane Taylor back at Guard.

As for the #2 QB spot, I was and would be satisfied with Boyle there. Love, for better or worse, is a project drafted for the fairly distant future. I'm thinking if he sees the field much at all this season, it will be for a few custom made for him run/pass option plays. The bottom line is that they (and I) didn't think the needs were so great that we had to do anything else with that pick.

Upnorth
08-21-2020, 08:42 AM
According too Aaron Nagler who is at camp and is following the team much more closely then ESPN gives Love about almost a zero percent chance of getting past Boyle which I consider a huge failure for a QB that was traded up for in the first round. Someone that is supposed to be so damn talented and blah blah blah should have no problem coming in and beating out Boyle on sheer talent alone. I expect people to make excuses for him though and Gute as well.

#FireGuteNow!!!

I had originally posted a link showing Craig ball as qb2 and arod qb3 in arods rookie season but then found a different one with arod at #2. So due to conflicting evidence I deleted my post.

GB-Brandon
08-21-2020, 09:47 AM
Mostly good stuff there. We went 13-3 with Billy Turner in the O Line, and he supposedly does better at Tackle than at Guard, plus, I'd rather have a healthy Lane Taylor back at Guard.

As for the #2 QB spot, I was and would be satisfied with Boyle there. Love, for better or worse, is a project drafted for the fairly distant future. I'm thinking if he sees the field much at all this season, it will be for a few custom made for him run/pass option plays. The bottom line is that they (and I) didn't think the needs were so great that we had to do anything else with that pick.

Just because Lane Taylor is healthy doesn’t mean you throw Turner out at Tackle where Turner can struggle in Pass Protection. Yes, Turner can play RT in a pinch but cracks are ultimately starting to form on the OL rather early if the plan is for him to attempt to be a 16 game starter at RT. So I don’t know how this among other active concerns jives with “Them Not Needing Anything Else.”

To me it’s very clear there is already going to be some type of problem at RT moving forward. Now it’s just a question of how bad will it be. Even if Wagner’s injury is minor this is an area of concern moving forward as mentioned prior to camp.

texaspackerbacker
08-21-2020, 12:14 PM
If I recall, I think Turner was mostly a OT before the Packers signed him and moved him inside. I'm not overly thrilled with him in general, but I think he will be at least adequate at Tackle. After all, Aaron Rodgers has survived and thrived forever with poor pass blocking. I've watched a couple of old highlights of his the past few days, and it just confirms what I've always said about the O Line being like a sieve, and his needing to run for his life just about every pass play. The big Richard Rodgers Hail Mary in particular, Bakhtiari - who I have always considered overrated - got beat like a little bitch, but Aaron dodged the free rusher and threw the classic bomb.

bobblehead
08-21-2020, 12:56 PM

Rodgers plays around and experiments in camp is the answer. Love is a rookie is the other answer.

bobblehead
08-21-2020, 12:58 PM
According too Aaron Nagler who is at camp and is following the team much more closely then ESPN gives Love about almost a zero percent chance of getting past Boyle which I consider a huge failure for a QB that was traded up for in the first round. Someone that is supposed to be so damn talented and blah blah blah should have no problem coming in and beating out Boyle on sheer talent alone. I expect people to make excuses for him though and Gute as well. Oh yeah but Gute says media can’t say who is working out with who. What a shit show. Dumbest Fucken thing ever. It’s Fucken training camp!!! His pick Sucks Balls and he Knows it!!

Looks like we already need a RT but hey Gute used a 1st and 4th on a 3rd string QB. This is exactly Fucken Why the Packers aren’t gonna win the Fucken Super Bowl for quite some time!!!

#FireGuteNow!!!
Don't you change. Don't dare. You are adorable just the way you are.

RashanGary
08-21-2020, 05:50 PM
Coach Smith said Gary might be the best in the room at setting an edge right now. Pettine said he worked on his get off and pad level and made tremendous strides during the offseason.

Can’t wait!!

RashanGary
08-21-2020, 05:52 PM
Lazard, Gary, Savage, Sullivan, Kirksey and Elgetron should be big upgrades over last years versions of themselves (and Martinez)!

RashanGary
08-21-2020, 05:54 PM
Lots of talk about the DB group playing cohesive and big upgrades over last years inexperienced versions of themselves. Not many secondary’s in the NFL faster and these are smart guys who have played together and stayed in the defense. Top 5 defense is very possible. Top 5 offense too. STs too!

Can’t wait!

RashanGary
08-21-2020, 05:56 PM
Could easily see

Rodgers
Adams
Jones
Jenkins
Bahktiari

Clark
Alexander
Z
Savage

All in the probowl!

GB-Brandon
08-21-2020, 06:28 PM
I really haven’t heard much from Lazard other then he had some catches on Jaire in one on one’s but then Jaire completely shut him down in 11 on 11’s. Apparently MVS had a good and his best practice yesterday.

I have heard Kirksey looks really good and the secondary looks great. I really hope Gary can turn the corner. Effort has never been the issue with him.

It’s pretty safe to say that the defense is ahead of the offense right now with everything being so far behind. Need to see what happens in upcoming weeks. Might even take 2-3 weeks into the season to really see what type of offense we have.

GB-Brandon
08-21-2020, 06:39 PM
Lots of talk about the DB group playing cohesive and big upgrades over last years inexperienced versions of themselves. Not many secondary’s in the NFL faster and these are smart guys who have played together and stayed in the defense. Top 5 defense is very possible. Top 5 offense too. STs too!

Can’t wait!

I was mostly satisfied with the defense last year other then not being able to stop the run at times. The question is “Can they stop the Run?”

Not gonna be able to find that out yet.

GB-Brandon
08-21-2020, 06:40 PM
I’ve also heard Tonyan is ahead of Sternberger right now.

RashanGary
08-21-2020, 07:09 PM
Its shit or get off the pot for Tonyan. I like Jace’s smooth athleticism more than Tonyan’s stiffness, although I could see Tonyan take some snaps from Deguara early with the rookie being overwhelmed by multiple positions that require pass blocking, run blocking and route running and catching. That’s a lot to pick up in a year.

texaspackerbacker
08-21-2020, 08:53 PM
I hope Sternberger is improved, but he looked like crap to me last season, and I think Tonyan was playing hurt last year. I'm rooting for Tonyan at that spot.

gbgary
08-22-2020, 12:14 PM
heard Love was very good yesterday in the two minute O. threw a beautiful deepish ball to Lazard. josh jackson is supposedly doing very well. he's playing outside coverage only (no slot). if that continues they could let king walk after the season if he's not resigned. they'll need every dollar they can save to make the 2021 cap.

RashanGary
08-22-2020, 01:08 PM
heard Love was very good yesterday in the two minute O. threw a beautiful deepish ball to Lazard. josh jackson is supposedly doing very well. he's playing outside coverage only (no slot). if that continues they could let king walk after the season if he's not resigned. they'll need every dollar they can save to make the 2021 cap.

True. I’ve pretty much given up on Jackson but if he can somehow play boundary corner at a high level.... Or Hollman, That sure would make keeping Aaron Jones a lot more possible.

I love king though, as much as I like Jones, I like King. And Bakh is almost non negotiable. Ugh, hard decisions to come. Let’s hope a few of the young guys make it easier to finalize the decisions.

RashanGary
08-22-2020, 01:13 PM
It’s so much harder to get guys for 3rd contracts. Bakhs cap hit is 14.5M this year. Any contract he signs is gonna be so expensive. In the most ideal of worlds we’d luck into a LT emerging and then we keep both King and Jones. But since there are only about 10 truly good LTs in the NFL, odds are pretty slim there. Bakh is gonna be expensive. Period.

Ugh. Or we go into next year just desperately NEEDING a LT and one falls to us. Just a lot of Ughs when it comes to near future decision making. I’m deeply disappointed to lose any of King, Jones or Bakh and I’m pretty sure one can’t be kept without losing Alexander some day soon.

RashanGary
08-22-2020, 01:41 PM
Move Turner out to RT next year. Go cheap at C and RG. Hope for the best at LT in the draft and sign Jones and King. Lol, that sounds like disaster! Maybe plug a guy like Solder or whoever 2021s near washed up LT is :lol:

Bakh doesn’t look negotiable.

Bakh, Jenkins, Patrick ensure Rodgers has a solid left side. Cut Turner and go young on the right side. That’s an option to keep King and Jones!

GB-Brandon
08-22-2020, 01:42 PM
Well they only have Adams singed through 2021. In fact, they don’t have any receiver signed beyond 2021.

RashanGary
08-22-2020, 01:43 PM
In a perfect world, Runyan and Hanson both pan out. That opens up the eject Turner option and keep the two talented homegrown at RB and CB. I just can’t part easy with the vision I have in the secondary.

RashanGary
08-22-2020, 01:51 PM
Well they only have Adams singed through 2021. In fact, they don’t have any receiver signed beyond 2021.

Adams and Bakh are gonna be huge contracts. Those are the toughest calls cuz both guys are Packer HOFers approaching 30 as their contracts expire.

RashanGary
08-22-2020, 01:56 PM
Jones might be the one who has to go. If Dillon and a reasonable Williams contract make that possible. In that event, Lazard/EQ development is almost a must.

It’s sure not looking like anything is guaranteed in the near future. But I guess that’s when if you draft and develop well, it all takes care of itself. In gute we trust

RashanGary
08-22-2020, 02:06 PM
IN GUTE WE TRUST

RashanGary
08-22-2020, 02:11 PM
Or maybe you let Aaron Rodgers and Davante go after 2021 and you have unlimited funds And a couple first round picks to stack Loves team! In Gute we trust!

Bretsky
08-22-2020, 04:04 PM
Kevin King looks in great shape. Gotta be 205 now. I do like Jaire’s full game a little more with the instincts and ability to play every kind of coverage equally well. But king, as a pure man cover guy, I think he’s better at that and has probowl potential.

The secondary is kind of the talk of camp right now. I’m not surprised. Could be a great defense in 2020

Was listening to one of the beat guys and they agreed.

They actually said surprise of the camp is Josh Jackson and went on to say if he is good our secondary is going to be very very good. Loves King's talent; he just needs to stay healthy

GB-Brandon
08-22-2020, 06:48 PM
The thing is there letting and gonna let Jackson play outside though. He is still going to be backing up Jaire and King. I could see them playing Jaire inside sometimes though.

GB-Brandon
08-22-2020, 06:49 PM
The fact that Jackson is developing means they don’t need to re-sign King. If King stays healthy he will be way expensive anyways.

GB-Brandon
08-22-2020, 06:58 PM
IN GUTE WE TRUST

Unfortunately we’re not even close to that yet.

RashanGary
08-22-2020, 07:15 PM
The thing is there letting and gonna let Jackson play outside though. He is still going to be backing up Jaire and King. I could see them playing Jaire inside sometimes though.

If Jackson, Hollman or any of the other young guys are legit outside, yeah. If none of those guys are close to Alexander and King, I imagine Sullivan, Greene and Redmond would split nickel and dime.

RashanGary
08-22-2020, 07:18 PM
Alexander can play outside, obviously. He could probably play safety, nickel or dime too. He’s just sort of good at every kind of coverage and leverage. His tackling is not to the level I like inside so considering the NFL still runs the ball almost half the time, Alexander is more of a pure corner or inside player in long yardage.

RashanGary
08-22-2020, 07:22 PM
Sullivan and Redmond tackle better. Greene too, obviously. With Kirksey as our only legit linebacker, those nickel and dime guys play a lot in regular down and distances and need to be more stout.

But like last year, passing situations, Alexander could play some of Tramons nickel (primary coverage situations) snaps. That’s pending a legit outside corner emerging.

GB-Brandon
08-22-2020, 07:58 PM
I’m hearing this Kamal Martin is a very instinctive and has been showing too.

texaspackerbacker
08-22-2020, 08:05 PM
I absolutely HATE the idea of Bakhtiari getting a huge contract. And if it costs us Linsley - who I see as a lot better player, then I hate it even more. And if that meant not signing Jones, shit, that would suck so bad. Jones not only played damn good, but he is the kind of breakaway big play threat I want instead of a grinder. I can live with the idea of Dillon getting a lot of snaps, because his films show that he has breakaway speed too, even at his size.

As of now, yes, in Gute I trust too. But if he loses good players signing a plug like Bakhtiari, it will damn well turn me against him too. And don't tell me how he's so respected by the media or whoever - blah blah blah. What I see in games, confirmed by highlight films, say different.

texaspackerbacker
08-22-2020, 08:12 PM
We have a lot of potential among the DBs. I just hope Alexander snaps back to where he was as a rookie and King plays like a lot of people (not me) expect of him. Yes, RG, you nailed it. One reason ILB wasn't much of a need was because we play so much nickel and dime, and our guys there have generally done damn good. Hopefully Greene stays healthy, as he seemed like the best of the bunch. Hopefully Jackson finally rounds into playing like he did in college. He covered opponents' top receivers at Iowa, and did it well. Man coverage shouldn't be that much different in the NFL than against the best Ohio State, Michigan, etc. had in college.

bobblehead
08-22-2020, 10:34 PM
Lazard, Gary, Savage, Sullivan, Kirksey and Elgetron should be big upgrades over last years versions of themselves (and Martinez)!

I'm still leaning towards MVS being the #2 WR this year. He has more tools than anyone and he has looked better when healthy. Not throwing shade at Lazard, just think MVS has more.

bobblehead
08-22-2020, 10:39 PM
Move Turner out to RT next year. Go cheap at C and RG. Hope for the best at LT in the draft and sign Jones and King. Lol, that sounds like disaster! Maybe plug a guy like Solder or whoever 2021s near washed up LT is :lol:

Bakh doesn’t look negotiable.

Bakh, Jenkins, Patrick ensure Rodgers has a solid left side. Cut Turner and go young on the right side. That’s an option to keep King and Jones!

Jones goes. No one has succeeded paying a RB. Franchise him for next year then let him walk and draft a kid. Just the way the NFL works.

bobblehead
08-22-2020, 10:42 PM
Was listening to one of the beat guys and they agreed.

They actually said surprise of the camp is Josh Jackson and went on to say if he is good our secondary is going to be very very good. Loves King's talent; he just needs to stay healthy

I've pimped King all along, but I admit I had lost all faith in Jackson. If he can become an asset that is pure profit from my perspective. Sullivan is a steal for an undrafted guy, but I would like him and Jackson to push each other constantly.

RashanGary
08-23-2020, 07:31 AM
I'm still leaning towards MVS being the #2 WR this year. He has more tools than anyone and he has looked better when healthy. Not throwing shade at Lazard, just think MVS has more.

The Packers FIRED and I

put that in caps to make it a point that FIRING a coworker is a hard thing to do and must come with good reason. MVS made comments last year that made me think he ran the route that was drawn up on paper, and felt it was the right thing to do. I didn’t hear anything from the coaches or players, other than Rodgers who vaguely eluded to the reality that other guys played and highlighted the way they adjust their routes naturally as part of the reason. For the first time LaFleur added to Rodgers frustration in route adjustments not being made in direct correlation to what it means to be consistent and earn playing time. He said part of being a WR is running the right route based on the defense being played and said there are adjustments to every route.

I think it shows LaFleur adjusting even more for his HOF QB, as he should IMO. He’s made it a staple of the offense, one that, for the first time, he speaks out loud of and fires guys for not buying in.

There is some hope with the new coaching emphasis because Rodgers will not throw to someone who won’t do common sense things like run a route where there is a place to throw the ball when said adjustment doesn’t get in the way of the rest of the play. And Rodgers expects that everyone he plays with can understand when to do it and how. It’s really not unreasonable but it does limit the types of minds that Rodgers can work with.

That said, Lazard has said he’s lost weight since his rookie year. He ran a 4.55 at 227 pounds. Playing at 220 and with legit NFL dedication he’s the type of player who’s probably made big gains from Iowa state to NFL. I’d call him a 4.50 guy more realistically with the body change, which is elite for 6’5 and 220. He’s also fierce, savvy, and a natural football guy with great hands. To me, Lazard has first round makeup and is an absolute steal. The things Lazard naturally does, I doubt MVS will ever be able to do.

But, there are packages, downs, distances, situations; where you really want a 4.38 guy threatening the seam. MVS is kind of an ideal #3 in that regard. He has a place if he can grow and Rodgers starts connecting with him.

RashanGary
08-23-2020, 07:39 AM
Jones goes. No one has succeeded paying a RB. Franchise him for next year then let him walk and draft a kid. Just the way the NFL works.

I like hearing this stuff. It’s true. And I don’t think anyone in the NFL front offices view Jones on the level of the HOF running backs who’ve made so much money. I would stay in the conversation with Jones next offseason because his agent might be grossly disappointed in what he’s offered and it might be more reasonable than we think.

King now, King comes way cheaper now than in the offseason. He looks thicker, sturdier and more NFL ready than ever. Even if he gained 10 pounds since rookie, his athleticism was so off the charts he’d still be elite. And now all of the experience.... he’s due for a breakout season. I’d sign king now and risk losing Jones next year.

RashanGary
08-23-2020, 07:46 AM
Summary

Let Lindsey go. Centers are too easy to find
Sign king now cuz his price will go up
Negotiate with Jones next year but don’t pay more than he’s worth
Try really hard to extend Bakh as soon as possible

And Bakh is the type of guy, he’s due to make 10 mil new money this year so he’s gonna need a significant portion up front to make a new deal even worth it. His dedication to his craft is elite. You can count on him to perform even if a big chunk is up front. I could see King and Bakh in the fold before the season starts.

run pMc
08-23-2020, 12:20 PM
Summary

And Bakh is the type of guy, he’s due to make 10 mil new money this year so he’s gonna need a significant portion up front to make a new deal even worth it. His dedication to his craft is elite. You can count on him to perform even if a big chunk is up front. I could see King and Bakh in the fold before the season starts.

I think Bahk is the only one they keep.
Linsley will be replaced by Patrick/Hanson. As you said centers can be found/developed, and they are doing that now.
Jones will price himself into a big FA contract elsewhere, and Dillon/Dexter/Ervin can take the snaps.
King is good when healthy, but replaceable and with a good year will likely get a decent contract elsewhere, and they can probably get same production from one of a revitalized Josh Jackson/Stanford Samuels/Hollman. You resign your Core players and replace the rest. I see Jaire fitting that description more than King.

Bahk is the only one they don't have an obvious replacement for, and he still has tread on the tires. He's also a Pro Bowl caliber LT, those guys don't grow on trees. When you have a QB like Rodgers you want a good blindside protector.

texaspackerbacker
08-23-2020, 01:40 PM
Do you people seriously not look at films and see how Bakhtiari gets beat time after time after time? Do you not watch games and see that we do almost all our successful running plays through the Center/Guard gaps, and almost every time we run toward Bakhtiari's spot, the play gets stuffed for a loss? Are you seriously not aware that his whole career, Aaron Rodgers has been thriving despite shitty pass blocking, especially from the Tackle position? Sheeeeeesh!

RashanGary
08-23-2020, 01:44 PM
We watch Rodgers hold the ball and everyone get beat eventually. Except Lindsey who’s a damn center and almost always is involved with a double.

bobblehead
08-23-2020, 01:53 PM
Three separate reporters on Twitter comment on rashan Gary dominating the Red zone on three consecutive plays. I think all of us would love to eat crow and have rashan Gary turn into a stud.

call_me_ishmael
08-23-2020, 09:42 PM
I predict he does become a very good player in time but might take a few years. Might always be a little overrated like Clowney too.

run pMc
08-24-2020, 11:02 AM
Would be very happy if Rashan Gary pans out and has a Clowney like career. When Clowney is on he's a threat.

Tex, don't get me wrong, I like Linsley a LOT and thought keeping him over Tretter was the right call. I just think LTs are more of a premium position and Bahk is a good one, and unless you have an obvious replacement you want to keep him.

RashanGary
08-24-2020, 11:04 AM
I predict he does become a very good player in time but might take a few years. Might always be a little overrated like Clowney too.

True. Gary might be a little bigger, stronger, faster, but it could go that way for sure

texaspackerbacker
08-24-2020, 11:18 AM
I agree, LTs are an important position, but I don't agree that Bakhtiari is all that good a one. I've just seen him get beat too many times as well as failing on run blocks too many times. It's really hard to believe he gets so much praise.

Gary is really fast for a big guy, and he looks to be strong too, but similar to Clowney, he seems a little bit less good laterally than some players - Z Smith for example. I expect him to have a good career, but a little bit short of great.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-24-2020, 11:23 AM
I, a shutdown corner in HS who shut down Darren Charles in a game, could cover any of the wankers playing WR for the Pack. Save y’all Jackson hard-ones for the season.

King’s nothing extraordinary. Jones’ inconsistent.

GB-Brandon
08-24-2020, 01:27 PM
Kevin King is supposedly up to 205 now.

GB-Brandon
08-24-2020, 01:55 PM
If he balls out and stays healthy the Packers will not be able to afford him.

call_me_ishmael
08-24-2020, 11:07 PM
Summary

King isn't even worth anything. He has showed basically nothing in three years. Oft hurt, etc. Maybe he'll turn it around but is King really any different than whats-his-face from Iowa? He's faster on paper. That's about it. King can't play inside. There is no comparison, IMO, between Jaire and King. Jaire is leagues better.

Baktiari is going to get straight up paid so he isn't in a rush to do a deal I'm sure. Could easily be 20M per year if he hits the free market.

bobblehead
08-25-2020, 10:56 AM
Would be very happy if Rashan Gary pans out and has a Clowney like career. When Clowney is on he's a threat.

Tex, don't get me wrong, I like Linsley a LOT and thought keeping him over Tretter was the right call. I just think LTs are more of a premium position and Bahk is a good one, and unless you have an obvious replacement you want to keep him.

The right call was to move Tretter to Guard where he would be even more elite than he is at center....and where we had a need at the time. And keep Linsley as out center.

bobblehead
08-25-2020, 10:59 AM
King isn't even worth anything. He has showed basically nothing in three years. Oft hurt, etc. Maybe he'll turn it around but is King really any different than whats-his-face from Iowa? He's faster on paper. That's about it. King can't play inside. There is no comparison, IMO, between Jaire and King. Jaire is leagues better.

Baktiari is going to get straight up paid so he isn't in a rush to do a deal I'm sure. Could easily be 20M per year if he hits the free market.

This isn't just at you, but at everyone who is hating on King. King is really good when healthy and he was mostly last year. There is a reason teams throw at Alexander as much as they do.

gbgary
08-25-2020, 11:59 AM
king was a total bust until last year...and only because he couldn't stay on the field and when he was on the field he was playing hurt. last year he was very solid. solid enough to resign? sure...but if jackson's sudden rise is for real there'll be no reason to resign king because cap space is just too precious due to covid damage (and rodgers ridiculous contract going forward). they can keep him though if they want to. they just have to set it up like clark's deal.

Upnorth
08-25-2020, 01:43 PM
Why am I getting flashes of Casey Hayward...

Rutnstrut
08-25-2020, 07:51 PM
A good center is NOT easy to find. Every time they let a good one walk it takes a few years to find a suitable replacement. Plus the continuity of the line takes a hit.

GB-Brandon
08-25-2020, 08:20 PM
Three separate reporters on Twitter comment on rashan Gary dominating the Red zone on three consecutive plays. I think all of us would love to eat crow and have rashan Gary turn into a stud.

Well, everyone will be dominating Billy Turner on the Edge this year. Get used to it.

GB-Brandon
08-25-2020, 08:25 PM
Do you people seriously not look at films and see how Bakhtiari gets beat time after time after time? Do you not watch games and see that we do almost all our successful running plays through the Center/Guard gaps, and almost every time we run toward Bakhtiari's spot, the play gets stuffed for a loss? Are you seriously not aware that his whole career, Aaron Rodgers has been thriving despite shitty pass blocking, especially from the Tackle position? Sheeeeeesh!

Bak is the No.1 rated pass blocking LT in the league. Overall the Packers have had some pretty good OL play during Rodgers career. Maybe. Go watch the Seahawks play a few games and you will see see a little more clearly. And if you think Bak is bad your gonna have a cow watching Billy Turner try to play RT all year.

RashanGary
08-25-2020, 09:39 PM
Kevin King is supposedly up to 205 now.

Where'd ya hear that? He looked bigger in his pics. Look at his legs 3 years ago and now the new pics. Big change. Looks like good weight.

RashanGary
08-25-2020, 09:40 PM
If he balls out and stays healthy the Packers will not be able to afford him.

Sign him now. I believe he's a star.

texaspackerbacker
08-25-2020, 09:46 PM
No. 1 rated by whom? Game films say something very different. "pretty good OL play during Rodgers career"? Films put the lie to that too hahahahaha. Virtually every pass play, Rodgers has had to run for his life, and run blocking has been spotty at best over the years - and very very very little of that from Bakhtiari. Turner - or Wagner or one of three draft picks, etc. I doubt what we see will be worse than Bulaga every year other than his contract year, 2019, and he was just ok even then. Rodgers' whole history is thriving despite having poor pass blocking, especially from the Tackle positions.

bobblehead
08-26-2020, 02:13 AM
Why am I getting flashes of Casey Hayward...

Was just about to say something similar.

call_me_ishmael
08-26-2020, 10:07 AM
I know I'm a huge homer but I am starting to think the team is going to be damn good this year. Sounds like ARod is ready to go all "You like that" on Gooter.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/kirk-cousins-redskins-gm-scot-mccloughan-how-you-me-now

bobblehead
08-26-2020, 10:50 AM
I know I'm a huge homer but I am starting to think the team is going to be damn good this year. Sounds like ARod is ready to go all "You like that" on Gooter.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/kirk-cousins-redskins-gm-scot-mccloughan-how-you-me-now

Yea, you can lose perspective being a huge homer. You tend to go one of two ways. You go all Brandon and cry because you don't have 24 starting All Pro players and bemoan the coming 12 loss season or you go all Tex and declare that despite the obvious hole of the LT being only a mere top 5 player, Rodgers is so great and an undrafted slow guy is good enough to win the OWL every year.

I'm with you, a hopeless optimist, but I recognize we don't have a mountain of weapons. 3 really good ones. However, I played the game long enough (at low levels granted) to understand you win in the trenches. Give me 5 Pro Bowl OL and a top 10 QB and I'll give you a decent offense.

The team has a shot. As good as any in the NFC. They also have a 1st place schedule. Maybe a 15% shot at an owl, which is pretty good. No team in this league has more than a 25% chance and thats probably the defending champs.

Upnorth
08-26-2020, 12:20 PM

Yea, you can lose perspective being a huge homer. You tend to go one of two ways. You go all Brandon and cry because you don't have 24 starting All Pro players and bemoan the coming 12 loss season or you go all Tex and declare that despite the obvious hole of the LT being only a mere top 5 player, Rodgers is so great and an undrafted slow guy is good enough to win the OWL every year.

I'm with you, a hopeless optimist, but I recognize we don't have a mountain of weapons. 3 really good ones. However, I played the game long enough (at low levels granted) to understand you win in the trenches. Give me 5 Pro Bowl OL and a top 10 QB and I'll give you a decent offense.

The team has a shot. As good as any in the NFC. They also have a 1st place schedule. Maybe a 15% shot at an owl, which is pretty good. No team in this league has more than a 25% chance and thats probably the defending champs.

Why are you being resonable??? How dare you make a fair handed level post about the overall quality of the team or its players.

bobblehead
08-26-2020, 03:04 PM
Why are you being resonable??? How dare you make a fair handed level post about the overall quality of the team or its players.

I'm mostly level headed. If I'm not its because I am trolling Brandon. I have picture of Brandon that I found.

https://www.incimages.com/uploaded_files/image/970x450/getty_619745378_303256.jpg

Patler
08-26-2020, 04:16 PM
A good center is NOT easy to find. Every time they let a good one walk it takes a few years to find a suitable replacement. Plus the continuity of the line takes a hit.

Not really true.

Packers starting centers:

Winters 1993-2002
Flanagan 2001-2005 overlapped with Winters, and started ahead of Winters, with Winters as backup in 2002.
Wells 2005-2011 overlapped with Flanagan, started at guard in 2005 with Flanagan at center.
Saturday/EDS 2012
EDS 2013
JC Tretter 2013-2016 was on IR in 2013 when EDS started. 10 starts 2014-2016. Couldn't stay healthy in GB.
Linsley 2014 -present overlapped with Tretter.

Other than the failed stopgap attempt with an over-the-hill Saturday in 2012 the Packers have had capable replacements for their centers. Even in 2012, they could have been OK if they committed to EDS from the start.

I'm not trying to downplay the importance of having a good center, just noting that GB has been able to find one when they need one, perhaps because they do attach importance to it.

Upnorth
08-26-2020, 04:21 PM
Saturday was always a headscratching move. Very un Ted like imo. Not cheap.

Patler
08-26-2020, 04:37 PM
Saturday was always a headscratching move. Very un Ted like imo. Not cheap.

In retrospect it was, because Saturdays tank was completely on empty. The pro scouting group is paid to know those things. Obviously, they gave better reports on him than they should have. He had been a very good player for a very long time. I think the Packers kind got caught that year and threw a Hail Mary to Saturday.

RashanGary
08-27-2020, 02:46 PM
In Mcginns scouting reports from NFL personnel guys, when Lindsey has to play, the scouts said something like “they spent a 4th round pick on a bleeping center. He better work out.” Or something to that affect. NFL personnel guys seem to think they’re the easiest piece to find and not worth even a 4th round pick for the most part and if you spend one that high, it better be a sure thing.

Soooooo. Yeah, centers are easier to find according to personnel guys. But what do they know about football, right.

RashanGary
08-27-2020, 02:48 PM
And centers are the lowest paid position in football too. So there’s that

RashanGary
08-27-2020, 02:50 PM
Pace, complexity, tempo.... center is probably a more important position in an Aaron Rodgers lead offense tho.

texaspackerbacker
08-27-2020, 03:24 PM
I'll bite on that last one. Why? A lot of the time, it seems that Rodgers gets flushed out of the pocket, and it ends up being like back yard football - scramble and hit the open man. Whatever complexity there is, it seems like, comes from the running game, so you could say it happens whether Rodgers is QB or anybody else. The quick sets and free plays from catching opponents with too many men on the field? Yeah, I suppose the Center is a large part of that, but it seems like it could be pretty quickly learned too.

texaspackerbacker
08-27-2020, 03:27 PM
In Mcginns scouting reports from NFL personnel guys, when Lindsey has to play, the scouts said something like “they spent a 4th round pick on a bleeping center. He better work out.” Or something to that affect. NFL personnel guys seem to think they’re the easiest piece to find and not worth even a 4th round pick for the most part and if you spend one that high, it better be a sure thing.

Soooooo. Yeah, centers are easier to find according to personnel guys. But what do they know about football, right.

Actually, Tretter was the 4th round pick. Linsley was kinda a 6th round after thought. Just the same, I really really really hope they keep him, and if he ends of a casualty of re-signing damn Bakhtiari, I will be really really pissed off.

And I say again, McGinn stands out even among other media pukes as somebody I don't like.

bobblehead
08-28-2020, 12:04 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/HoJE_0roNtIKyVVRqr1wW4fuhI4=/0x0:1671x2507/920x613/filters:focal(628x284:894x550):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/67309305/1162816396.jpg.0.jpg

I try not to get excited about physical appearance, cuz otherwise you end up drafting Rashaan Gary or that OLB from years ago, but Yosh is a man among boys.

GB-Brandon
09-02-2020, 10:13 AM
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29793803/source-packers-rookie-kamal-martin-surgery-knee-miss-least-six-weeks

That hurts. Was having the best camp of any rookie.

RashanGary
09-02-2020, 10:25 AM
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29793803/source-packers-rookie-kamal-martin-surgery-knee-miss-least-six-weeks

That hurts. Was having the best camp of any rookie.

Eh, rookies don’t mean much. He woulda made more problems than he helped

texaspackerbacker
09-02-2020, 11:16 AM
If he's really any good, that may have something to do with why he was still there in the fifth round.

Freak Out
09-02-2020, 12:27 PM
Lots of injuries with the ILB group.

GB-Brandon
09-02-2020, 12:53 PM
Eh, rookies don’t mean much. He woulda made more problems than he helped

He was pressing to crack the starting lineup. Was having an amazing camp.

GB-Brandon
09-02-2020, 12:57 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/post/green-bay-packers/68381993-42b2-44c4-8778-0d5909398bf4

GB-Brandon
09-02-2020, 01:02 PM
Martin was making big play after big play in camp on a daily basis. Making several tackles or plays on the opposing side of LOS. Also coming up and taking on lead blockers and showing he had the power to anchor himself. On one play he came up and knocked Deguara completely on his ass blowing the play up.

Tough Break for a defense that needed help in this area.

GB-Brandon
09-02-2020, 03:03 PM
Looks like Turner might be out for awhile too.

http://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1301239630927364097

GB-Brandon
09-02-2020, 03:14 PM
I’ve noticed a pause to the “Super Bowl Shuffle” lol

texaspackerbacker
09-02-2020, 04:09 PM
We might actually be better off with somebody other than Billy Turner starting.

GB-Brandon
09-02-2020, 04:24 PM
Well if it’s Alex Light then god help us now!!!

bobblehead
09-02-2020, 05:13 PM
Martin was making big play after big play in camp on a daily basis. Making several tackles or plays on the opposing side of LOS. Also coming up and taking on lead blockers and showing he had the power to anchor himself. On one play he came up and knocked Deguara completely on his ass blowing the play up.

Tough Break for a defense that needed help in this area.

I thought you told me 5th rounders don't have the pedigree to be great.

bobblehead
09-02-2020, 05:15 PM
I’ve noticed a pause to the “Super Bowl Shuffle” lol
Huh? You mean cuz a rookie 5th rounder got hurt? Not sure I understand this post.

GB-Brandon
09-02-2020, 09:31 PM
I thought you told me 5th rounders don't have the pedigree to be great.

I think I’ve been pretty clear with my “probability approach” and while it’s possible to find good or great players as has been done in mid to late rounds the probabilities are usually higher of finding such talent in the earlier rounds.

Not sure what your trying to stoke up here.

GB-Brandon
09-02-2020, 09:36 PM
Huh? You mean cuz a rookie 5th rounder got hurt? Not sure I understand this post.

He was showing the most early potential of any rookie in camp up to this point at a position that needed an upgrade. Take it for what you want.

Add the injury to Turner which is another serious area of concern and this could be an issue.

You are aware of who the Vikings edge rushers are right?

RashanGary
09-03-2020, 12:17 AM
Rookies suck. Kamal being out makes us better. Maybe not in the long run cuz his development is important, but winning the first game, we're better off without him.

Taylor and Wagner are probably are most reliable right side so turner being down for a game or two shouldn't hurt.

I think we'll all celebrate if Lazard and MVS ball out this year, and I'm pretty sure they're gonna silence the doubters

Great finish to camp! R-E-L-A-X!!!!!

bobblehead
09-03-2020, 09:35 AM
I think I’ve been pretty clear with my “probability approach” and while it’s possible to find good or great players as has been done in mid to late rounds the probabilities are usually higher of finding such talent in the earlier rounds.

Not sure what your trying to stoke up here.

That you are an inconsistent fool and use whichever argument suits your purpose. Duh, you do better mathematically with a 1st rounder over a 5th. But your biggest knock on MVS is his draft pedigree. Same with Lazard. But when you like a player like Martin, then it doesn't matter. The guy hasn't played 1 single NFL game yet and you are pimping him. I like the camp he put together. I like the camp MVS put together as well. You dismiss one but not the other because it fits the point you want to make at the moment.

bobblehead
09-03-2020, 09:36 AM
He was showing the most early potential of any rookie in camp up to this point at a position that needed an upgrade. Take it for what you want.

Add the injury to Turner which is another serious area of concern and this could be an issue.

You are aware of who the Vikings edge rushers are right?

And MVS has flashed a ton of potential through 2 seasons and this camp. But you have insisted he can't emerge.

GB-Brandon
09-03-2020, 03:45 PM
That you are an inconsistent fool and use whichever argument suits your purpose. Duh, you do better mathematically with a 1st rounder over a 5th. But your biggest knock on MVS is his draft pedigree. Same with Lazard. But when you like a player like Martin, then it doesn't matter. The guy hasn't played 1 single NFL game yet and you are pimping him. I like the camp he put together. I like the camp MVS put together as well. You dismiss one but not the other because it fits the point you want to make at the moment.

My complaint has been the same all along which was to rely on a bunch of late round development receivers was a mistake. Time will tell.

Does this mean I can’t like Aaron Jones or Bak either? You are completely taking this out of context to what my issue was.

The Packers didn’t draft a receiver for two years PERIOD!!!

GB-Brandon
09-03-2020, 04:13 PM
Rookies suck. Kamal being out makes us better. Maybe not in the long run cuz his development is important, but winning the first game, we're better off without him.

Taylor and Wagner are probably are most reliable right side so turner being down for a game or two shouldn't hurt.

I think we'll all celebrate if Lazard and MVS ball out this year, and I'm pretty sure they're gonna silence the doubters

Martinez started games as a rookie. When/if Kirksey goes down this becomes a huge injury.

wist43
09-03-2020, 07:30 PM

Hopefully Summers can step up... Burks has never been an option.

Losing Martin hurts a lot... except for the fact that the Packers don't care about the position in general.

texaspackerbacker
09-03-2020, 08:37 PM
I think Curtis Bolton is still around too. He did damn good in the preseason last year, better than Summers. I haven't given up on Burks. Not being instinctive ought to be curable over time with coaching. Keep him another year or two, and hopefully he will be develop - and in the meantime, with his athleticism he ought to be serviceable with good coaching on special teams.

bobblehead
09-03-2020, 11:39 PM
My complaint has been the same all along which was to rely on a bunch of late round development receivers was a mistake. Time will tell.

Does this mean I can’t like Aaron Jones or Bak either? You are completely taking this out of context to what my issue was.

The Packers didn’t draft a receiver for two years PERIOD!!!

Fair enough. We haven't drafted and ILB early ever and the mark of the best 3-4 defenses is a dominant ILB. Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, Luke Keuchly, Bobby Wagner. I wish we would get a guy like that...although I like Kirksey, and I agree Martin sounded good. But I really need to see him play first.

bobblehead
09-03-2020, 11:40 PM
I think Curtis Bolton is still around too. He did damn good in the preseason last year, better than Summers. I haven't given up on Burks. Not being instinctive ought to be curable over time with coaching. Keep him another year or two, and hopefully he will be develop - and in the meantime, with his athleticism he ought to be serviceable with good coaching on special teams.

Not being instinctive is the one thing you CAN'T coach.

texaspackerbacker
09-04-2020, 05:36 AM
Over time, I think you can. Instinctive players aren't just born that way; They got that way from being coached right in earlier years. It's athleticism that can't be coached.

texaspackerbacker
09-04-2020, 05:41 AM
And the way the Packers play the 3-4, ILB is one of the least important positions. Hopefully Kirksey, maybe Martin, Bolton, or Summers, maybe even Burks get it up to a decent standard, but regardless, I wouldn't expect to see two ILBs on the field at a time very often. Pettine seems to prefer the extra DB, and given the pass heavy offenses most teams have, that's normal and smart.

GB-Brandon
09-04-2020, 09:17 AM
And MVS has flashed a ton of potential through 2 seasons and this camp. But you have insisted he can't emerge.

I’m Hearing MVS is our big chance with some better and expanded route running skills. He was my favorite one out of the three that were drafted coming out of his class. As posted I have been thoroughly disappointed and would love nothing more then for him to prove me wrong.

Someone is going to have to step up outside of Adams. I’m thinking Tonyan and MVS are the meal tickets for this thing to have a serious chance.

GB-Brandon
09-04-2020, 09:22 AM
And the way the Packers play the 3-4, ILB is one of the least important positions. Hopefully Kirksey, maybe Martin, Bolton, or Summers, maybe even Burks get it up to a decent standard, but regardless, I wouldn't expect to see two ILBs on the field at a time very often. Pettine seems to prefer the extra DB, and given the pass heavy offenses most teams have, that's normal and smart.

Or one of the most important!!! I think everyone saw that in the title game where Blake Martinez got completely exposed.

bobblehead
09-04-2020, 10:47 AM
Over time, I think you can. Instinctive players aren't just born that way; They got that way from being coached right in earlier years. It's athleticism that can't be coached.

Yes, they are born that way. You can teach reads and keys, but you can't teach raw instincts. LB and RB are instinct positions. You either have it or you don't. Again, you can improve, but a non instinctive athlete will never be great at those positions. You can teach to tackle. You can teach to get under the pads, footwork. A lot can be taught, but not that feel that some have for the game. When Peterson runs through traffic he sees lanes that aren't there yet. You can't learn it.

bobblehead
09-04-2020, 10:48 AM

Until the biggest game of the year....when it wasn't.

bobblehead
09-04-2020, 10:50 AM
I’m Hearing MVS is our big chance with some better and expanded route running skills. He was my favorite one out of the three that were drafted coming out of his class. As posted I have been thoroughly disappointed and would love nothing more then for him to prove me wrong.

Someone is going to have to step up outside of Adams. I’m thinking Tonyan and MVS are the meal tickets for this thing to have a serious chance.

And Lazard. Between those 3 guys I think we get enough contribution. Especially if Rodgers buys in. This is what most of us have been saying all off season. Oh, and Sternberger. We just need improvement from all 4 of those guys. We can live without a kittles if Rodgers runs it like he can. 2nd year in the offense and those players all being young I EXPECT it, not hope for it.

run pMc
09-04-2020, 11:41 AM

Has Bolton practiced yet? I thought he was still rehabbing a torn ACL. I wouldn't count on him being around. I could see them IR-waiving him and then adding him to PS mid-season or something. By then Kamal should be back and likely working his way into some meaningful snaps. In the meantime, I think they play a S like Raven there on 70% of the snaps and give 20% to Ty and maybe 10% to Burks.

RashanGary
09-04-2020, 05:47 PM
LaFleur said Lazard is extremely physical and smiled, and said he can’t wait to see him on the field. Said he can pass protect, run block and play WR. Kinda a unique slot weapon. Still has 4.5 speed and tough enough to block. Gonna be interesting to see how he’s used.

I could easily see a package of jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones, Lazard, MVS and Davante being exciting to watch. Williams honed in his WR skills. Jones is even better I’m sure. With Williams and Lazard being such good blockers, you have a lot of run/pass unpredicability there.

RashanGary
09-04-2020, 05:50 PM
I like Jamaal more than a FB. Jamaal is a crafty football player. He’s the kind of guy who’s gonna find a way to make his block even if he’s 10 pounds underweight. His screen game is filthy. His pass pro is stellar. He’s a great guy to open up any type of play, whether it’s a lead block, extra pass pro or running a route, he can do everything.

Throw those guys in. If the opponent goes small, run (or play pass). If the opponent goes big, spread em out and get Jones on a LB with Williams securing the pocket for 12.

RashanGary
09-04-2020, 05:56 PM
I think our best, most experienced and versatile weapons that can really click with 12 are the guys I listed above. We have a vet OL, a generational veteran QB. I see the experience being more important than paper physical traits.

MVS is a 4.3 guy
Lazard, Williams, Jones and Adams are 4.5 guys

That’s quite a bit of speed to go along with Jones rushing talent and Williams/Lazard unique physical abilities for their positions. I really think we’re gonna see a lot of this!

bobblehead
09-05-2020, 10:51 AM
Has Bolton practiced yet? I thought he was still rehabbing a torn ACL. I wouldn't count on him being around. I could see them IR-waiving him and then adding him to PS mid-season or something. By then Kamal should be back and likely working his way into some meaningful snaps. In the meantime, I think they play a S like Raven there on 70% of the snaps and give 20% to Ty and maybe 10% to Burks.

Bolton was put on PuP today. He is a guy with those natural instincts, but he isn't a superior athlete and is undersized. There are places for him in the NFL, but you are always looking to replace him.

bobblehead
09-05-2020, 10:54 AM
LaFleur said Lazard is extremely physical and smiled, and said he can’t wait to see him on the field. Said he can pass protect, run block and play WR. Kinda a unique slot weapon. Still has 4.5 speed and tough enough to block. Gonna be interesting to see how he’s used.

I could easily see a package of jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones, Lazard, MVS and Davante being exciting to watch. Williams honed in his WR skills. Jones is even better I’m sure. With Williams and Lazard being such good blockers, you have a lot of run/pass unpredicability there.

And that is what I begged for through the last several years of MM's reign. We had Cobb and Montgomery on the field at the same time and teams still knew exactly what we were about to run. MM capitalized on Rodgers greatness. What Brandon bitches about I bitched about schematically for years. We relied solely on Rodgers. Now we are asking him to spread it around. We are trying to have a lot of GOOD players instead of one GREAT player. If Rodgers buys in, look out NFL.

RashanGary
09-05-2020, 11:42 AM

No. No. No.

Instinct is built at younger ages than that. It’s drive at a young age to do physical things and practice at those impressionable ages that builds instinct you can’t coach into adults imo

And Tex, I give ya shit cuz u can handle it!

bobblehead
09-05-2020, 08:06 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/HoJE_0roNtIKyVVRqr1wW4fuhI4=/0x0:1671x2507/920x613/filters:focal(628x284:894x550):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/67309305/1162816396.jpg.0.jpg

I try not to get excited about physical appearance, cuz otherwise you end up drafting Rashaan Gary or that OLB from years ago, but Yosh is a man among boys.

My boy Yosh made the 53. Maybe he ends up starting at RT!!

RashanGary
09-05-2020, 09:01 PM

Nice call!

Patler
09-05-2020, 11:45 PM

It will be interesting to see how he develops. I read several of his pre-draft scouting reports. All said he was unquestionably the best physical specimen among all of the OTs, but......

One scout put it this way:
- if you design the perfect OT from scratch, you get Yosh Nijman physically and athletically.
- came to college as the #1 H.S. prospect on defensive line. Started college career on defense.
- converted to OT, but seems to have no idea how to play it. Not clear how he was coached.
- said he needed to go to a team with excellent coaches who would be willing to take several years to start from scratch with him, build up from the most basic concepts.

bobblehead
09-06-2020, 09:33 AM

Finally figured out who Lazard reminds me of. Shannon Sharpe. Sharpe played TE at about 235. 15-25 pounds lighter than most TE. Lazard is 5-10 pounds lighter than Sharpe, but he is almost a hybrid TE/WR. It just adds to the effectiveness of confusion and doing what the defense gives you in todays specialized game.

bobblehead
09-06-2020, 09:37 AM
It will be interesting to see how he develops. I read several of his pre-draft scouting reports. All said he was unquestionably the best physical specimen among all of the OTs, but......

One scout put it this way:
- if you design the perfect OT from scratch, you get Yosh Nijman physically and athletically.
- came to college as the #1 H.S. prospect on defensive line. Started college career on defense.
- converted to OT, but seems to have no idea how to play it. Not clear how he was coached.
- said he needed to go to a team with excellent coaches who would be willing to take several years to start from scratch with him, build up from the most basic concepts.

All true from what I read and watched as well. Yosh is a physical freak. Last year I pimped Dillard, but Yosh is physically even more gifted. OL can be taught if the student is willing. I still don't think Yijman is "there" yet, but he is obviously far enough along that they didn't want to expose him to other teams grabbing him.

edit: I have nothing to back him not being there yet other than he was so green coming out, and having no offseason, if he is it would be a remarkable accomplishment of coaching and student.

RashanGary
09-06-2020, 09:45 AM
Finally figured out who Lazard reminds me of. Shannon Sharpe. Sharpe played TE at about 235. 15-25 pounds lighter than most TE. Lazard is 5-10 pounds lighter than Sharpe, but he is almost a hybrid TE/WR. It just adds to the effectiveness of confusion and doing what the defense gives you in todays specialized game.

Not a bad comp. Hines ward is different in height/weight, but similar in the sense of being a WR who could block almost like a TE. Kind of a cross between Sharpe and Ward with skill set. A body between the two as well.

bobblehead
09-06-2020, 09:50 AM
Not a bad comp. Hines ward is different in height/weight, but similar in the sense of being a WR who could block almost like a TE. Kind of a cross between Sharpe and Ward with skill set. A body between the two as well.

Go back and look at some early sharpe pics. Body is eerily similar. If Lazard adds 5-10 pounds muscle in next offseason its nearly a clone.

RashanGary
09-06-2020, 11:38 AM
Go back and look at some early sharpe pics. Body is eerily similar. If Lazard adds 5-10 pounds muscle in next offseason its nearly a clone.

I see it somewhat. For now I like Hines Ward as a skill set comparison being both guys are tough as nails in all aspects and play WR. I like how Lazard lost weight since coming out of college but still wins physical battles like a big guy. I don’t really want to see him bigger because lighter he’s faster and quicker but still keeps his toughness. I think he’s ideal where he’s at.

As he ages, I could easily see him transition into more of a TE role because he barely has enough speed and quickness to hang at WR.

If I had to plan his career, id keep him WR for a while and transition into a TE mold later in his career.

bobblehead
09-08-2020, 11:16 AM
I see it somewhat. For now I like Hines Ward as a skill set comparison being both guys are tough as nails in all aspects and play WR. I like how Lazard lost weight since coming out of college but still wins physical battles like a big guy. I don’t really want to see him bigger because lighter he’s faster and quicker but still keeps his toughness. I think he’s ideal where he’s at.

As he ages, I could easily see him transition into more of a TE role because he barely has enough speed and quickness to hang at WR.

If I had to plan his career, id keep him WR for a while and transition into a TE mold later in his career.

Hines is listed at 6', but I have stood next to Hines. I am 5'9" tall. I wasn't looking up by 3".

Fritz
09-08-2020, 12:02 PM

Man, he looks skinny for a tackle. He needs to go on the Cletidus Hunt diet.

RashanGary
09-08-2020, 12:34 PM
Hines is listed at 6', but I have stood next to Hines. I am 5'9" tall. I wasn't looking up by 3".

Not a body comp. More of a skillset comp. Both smart guys who run good routes and build trust with the QB. Both fiery blockers from the WR position who can play slot almost like a TE. So more on skillset than body type.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-09-2020, 03:14 AM

How come Hines Ward and Pat Chung are Black but Taylor Rapp is Asian?

SudsMcBucky
09-09-2020, 02:11 PM
How come Hines Ward and Pat Chung are Black but Taylor Rapp is Asian?

I'm assuming it has something to do with what each of their parents' races were.

bobblehead
09-10-2020, 12:52 AM
Man, he looks skinny for a tackle. He needs to go on the Cletidus Hunt diet.

He is 6'7" It makes him appear more slight than he is. Man is massive and athletic. Heard nothing about his progress. I figured with no off season he would spend another year on PS, but they must think he is ready. Probably best if we don't need him to start this year, but if he lives up to his eye test, he can be a player.

Patler
09-10-2020, 09:53 AM
He is 6'7" It makes him appear more slight than he is. Man is massive and athletic. Heard nothing about his progress. I figured with no off season he would spend another year on PS, but they must think he is ready. Probably best if we don't need him to start this year, but if he lives up to his eye test, he can be a player.

He was signed to the 53 man roster from the practice squad last year in November when Cole Madison went on IR, then ended up going on IR himself in week 16 with an arm injury that required surgery. This year he has moved ahead of Alex Light who was ahead of him last year. There seems to be a promising progression, anyway.

call_me_ishmael
09-10-2020, 11:57 AM
Anybody a JSO subscriber that can copy-pasta the Q&A with Goot-goot?

RashanGary
09-10-2020, 12:56 PM

It's kind of like defenders having to cover extended plays when they play Wilson, Rodgers, mahommes and rothlisberger. Maybe none are great body comps, but all are skillset comps in that they are excellent at extending plays.

Ward and lizard are similar in that they block like tight ends from the wr position so bring similar affect to the game.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-10-2020, 01:07 PM
It's kind of like defenders having to cover extended plays when they play Wilson, Rodgers, mahommes and rothlisberger. Maybe none are great body comps, e all are skillset comps in that they are excellent at extending plays.

Ward and lizard are similar in that they block like tight ends from the wr position so bring similar affect to the game.

Lazard is a poor man’s Miles Austin. He’s even white like Austin. Then again, if Taylor Rapp calls himself Asian, then Lazard can call himself Black for all I care, not I that cared. :)

texaspackerbacker
09-10-2020, 08:06 PM
You mean white like Mahomes? hahahahahaha

Miles Austin, as I recall, was a lot faster but not near as strong as Lazard.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-11-2020, 03:41 AM
Anybody a JSO subscriber that can copy-pasta the Q&A with Goot-goot?

You make $192,000/yr working from home for Chinese tech mongrel “Tencent”, you’re about to be hired by Facebook for 4 times your current salary, you own $5.5 M worth of Apple stocks, and you can’t afford the $30 annual PackersNews fee?

Anti-Polar Bear
09-11-2020, 04:01 AM
You mean white like Mahomes? hahahahahaha

Miles Austin, as I recall, was a lot faster but not near as strong as Lazard.

An argument could be made for Mahomes being White (grammar note, Tex: the “races” are now capitalized, i.e. or e.g.- I absolutely regret not majoring in English - White, Black, Yellow, etc.). I mean, Mahomes produces pretty numbers like an elite White QB. He carried his team to Super Bowl glory like an elite White QB.

Much like Austin, Lazard is a tall, slow “White” receiver who excels at blocking. If I recall correctly, Austin once concussed ole Sam Shields with a vicious block. Both Austin and Lazard aren’t 6th or even 50th ballot Hall of Famers, and teams are always looking to replace them, but some Sundays, they’re “solid” starters when starting by default.

German Shepherd shoulda drafted DK Metcalf.

Patler
09-11-2020, 01:23 PM
If I recall correctly, Austin once concussed ole Sam Shields with a vicious block.

In fairness, didn't Shields get concussions strapping on his helmet?

bobblehead
09-12-2020, 12:55 PM
It's kind of like defenders having to cover extended plays when they play Wilson, Rodgers, mahommes and rothlisberger. Maybe none are great body comps, but all are skillset comps in that they are excellent at extending plays.

I'll grant that. Ward was tenacious as hell. A decent guy also. I hope Lazard can live up to the comp. Hell, I hope he can exceed it.

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2020, 03:56 PM
I am just checking back into Packer football, peaked at roster. Allen Lazard is a starter!? Also, Marcedes Lewis at TE is kinda weak.
I'll pull an all-nighter to get caught up.

RashanGary
09-12-2020, 04:00 PM
I am just checking back into Packer football, peaked at roster. Allen Lazard is a starter!? Also, Marcedes Lewis at TE is kinda weak.
I'll pull an all-nighter to get caught up.

Welcome back! Thought you were a gonner

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2020, 04:05 PM
Rumors of my death are only slightly premature.

I saw Jon Runyan on the roster and said, "Jesus, he must be really old"

By game time tomorrow I will have many strong opinions about the Packer roster to share on the game thread. Don't know shit now but I'm a gamer.

RashanGary
09-12-2020, 04:09 PM
Rumors of my death are only slightly premature.

I saw Jon Runyan on the roster and said, "Jesus, he must be really old"

By game time tomorrow I will have many strong opinions about the Packer roster to share on the game thread. Don't know shit now but I'm a gamer.

:lol:

I'll never forget the time I argued with you that James Jones was better than Jordy Nelson and then Nelson went on to make me look like a retard.

But I'll never forget the time I watched Kampman at camp and was the first to note he was beating Taischer at the time. He was looking like a career Dean Lowry type and you were skeptical of his weight loss going into that year. Kamp made me look good that year!

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2020, 04:13 PM
Kampman fizzled quickly when he left the Pack, as I probably misrecall. I remember the Packers tried to make him a standup linebacker. You have a good memory. I smell almonds.

bobblehead
09-21-2020, 01:24 PM

Well....Bosa, Soloman Thomas, Barkely, Lock, Sutton, McCaffrey, Paris Campbell, Kenny Clark. I could go on for an hour.

You need camp and you need contact. 1 quarter at a time in pre season to remember the angles, the turning of the body. Big name guys play a quarter at first, then 2. They get in "game shape". I have been beating the drum for years. You can't rest rest rest then go play 100% on sunday and not expect to get hurt.

texaspackerbacker
09-21-2020, 02:01 PM
Kenny Clark shouldn't be in the same category with those others - out for the season or at least 6-8 weeks.

You may have a point, though, about getting used to getting hit - or not. Teams have been trending toward less and less contact in training camp anyway. I still think the injuries are mostly a matter of luck.

RashanGary
09-21-2020, 09:46 PM
Well....Bosa, Soloman Thomas, Barkely, Lock, Sutton, McCaffrey, Paris Campbell, Kenny Clark. I could go on for an hour.

You need camp and you need contact. 1 quarter at a time in pre season to remember the angles, the turning of the body. Big name guys play a quarter at first, then 2. They get in "game shape". I have been beating the drum for years. You can't rest rest rest then go play 100% on sunday and not expect to get hurt.

You have, but 49ers had super physical camp and worst injured in the league.

bobblehead
09-22-2020, 11:47 AM
You have, but 49ers had super physical camp and worst injured in the league.

I didn't hear that they had a super physical camp, but Shannahan has that history, so probably. They are blaming the turf. But that turf doesn't explain the rest of the league. Also Flower runs a much more physical camp than MM by reports. Last year we had one of our best seasons as far as injuries are concerned.

texaspackerbacker
09-22-2020, 12:03 PM
I say again, L U C K.

run pMc
09-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Generally speaking, I'd chalk it up mostly to luck, but with a shortened camp there's an element of that factoring in as well.
I think it's hard to be in football shape without playing/practicing, and they had an abbreviated timeline.

Adams hamstring or Clark's groin injuries might be partly due to a shorter camp, whereas the Parris Campbell injury looked to me like plain old bad luck on how he got hit/tackled by Smith.

call_me_ishmael
09-22-2020, 03:45 PM
I didn't hear that they had a super physical camp, but Shannahan has that history, so probably. They are blaming the turf. But that turf doesn't explain the rest of the league. Also Flower runs a much more physical camp than MM by reports. Last year we had one of our best seasons as far as injuries are concerned.

I could be wrong but I seem to recall Flower runs a less physical camp. I could be wrong of course as it was a year ago and this years camp got basically no coverage at all.

Joemailman
09-22-2020, 04:03 PM
I could be wrong but I seem to recall Flower runs a less physical camp. I could be wrong of course as it was a year ago and this years camp got basically no coverage at all.He runs a physical camp, but the practices are shorter than McCarthy used to run. To avoid fatigue injuries I suspect.

RashanGary
09-22-2020, 06:02 PM
He runs a physical camp, but the practices are shorter than McCarthy used to run. To avoid fatigue injuries I suspect.

Yeah, I have the same impression. He seems to give guys more time off and is less likely to put an injured guy on the field to get re injured. The health since lafeur took over is remarkable so he could be doing something right.

bobblehead
09-22-2020, 11:41 PM
I could be wrong but I seem to recall Flower runs a less physical camp. I could be wrong of course as it was a year ago and this years camp got basically no coverage at all.

Last year some tried to argue that his practices were shorter and that somehow =s less physical. I read 4 different reporters who said the biggest thing they noticed compared to MM is how physical the play was in Flower's first camp.

bobblehead
09-22-2020, 11:42 PM
He runs a physical camp, but the practices are shorter than McCarthy used to run. To avoid fatigue injuries I suspect.

Exactly. Anyone who is a ski enthusiast knows when you get hurt. Its not taking a spill on the moguls when you are fresh and in practice. Its first week out when you get tired towards the end of the day.