PDA

View Full Version : Mike Daniels - what happened to him in Green Bay?

Vincenzo
08-11-2020, 02:11 PM
I know it’s been a while but what do you think happened to Mike Daniels in Green Bay?
Apart from his injury, were we fooled my him? Reason why I ask is cuz he had so much promise and seemed like such a “high-character” individual who would be a Packer for many years.

Vincenzo
08-11-2020, 03:06 PM
I guess what I’m asking is, now that we’re 2 years removed from this guy (he went to Detroit and now apparently Houston is gonna sign him) has there been anything revealed regarding his character. I wonder if he was a bit of a nut-job behind the scenes.... all perfect up front but underlying issues we weren’t aware of.

GB-Brandon
08-11-2020, 07:34 PM
There was “No Serious Character Issues”. It was more of Gute making a move to free up cash to extend Dean Lowry and they also believed Daniels was regressing.

Fosco33
08-12-2020, 09:29 AM
He landed w/ Bengals today.

GB-Brandon
08-12-2020, 11:06 AM
To further analyze Mike Daniels he wasn’t a Brian Gutekunst type player to begin with. Daniels was an undersized, under-talented type player that played and won with high effort and high motor. Not exactly what Gute has looked for when building the roster. They saw Lowry as a player that was ascending and younger while Daniels who had just turned 30 and was on the decline. This probably made the decision easier for them to move in the direction of Lowry which in the end turned out to be an “Over-Pay” as it sits now.

I believe they should of never gotten rid of Mike Pennel(who is better then both) but that is whole different discussion.

gbgary
08-14-2020, 02:34 PM
ankle (i believe) and primarily a cap casualty.

run pMc
08-14-2020, 04:12 PM
Availability (health), Upside, Versatility, Cost, Leadership style.

Undersized, expensive & injured 30 year old DL aren't likely to have lengthy future production.
When you're a lot of swagger and talk and it puts off some in the locker room, that might be another reason.
Coaching changes and their preferences had something to do with it as well. Daniels didn't allow a lot of the versatility Pettine prizes.

bobblehead
08-15-2020, 12:42 PM
Short answer. He turned 30 and didn't have gifted physical size to make up for the slight lost step while playing the highest level on the planet.