PDA

View Full Version : Smartest-Guy-In-The-Room Syndrome

The Shadow
08-18-2020, 01:36 PM
Boy, I hope Gutey isn't suffering from it. The moves to acquire the Smiths & Amos last year turned out terrific - and his 1st year coach got the team to the playoffs.
Does he believe he has a Golden Touch now?
I keep looking at his draft - and esp. that Jordan Love + the trade-up cost - + the failure to add a WR, meanigfully beef up the D line & LB corp.... and I wonder.

GB-Brandon
08-18-2020, 02:14 PM
The recent moves leave “No Middle Ground”. He is either a genius or a complete idiot that just got lucky last year because what he has done is just crazy and bucks the trend so hard of just about what any expert has said they would do with a team so close to the promise land with their current roster in place.

We didn’t lose the NFC Champ game because Aaron Rodgers didn’t dive for a fumble. We lost because we got our ass kicked on both sides of the ball upfront. On top of the that the team showed all season a lack of “big play ability” from the WR position outside of Adams. Sure, there might of been a splash play here or there against a team like the Lions but the consistency was lacking. The days of guys streaking open are no more and the days of the Packers offense striking fear and giving opposing defenses nightmares is no longer.

All things considered this has been the worst offseason I can remember. It’s been a horror movie.

GB-Brandon
08-18-2020, 02:19 PM
In all actuality the Horror Movie started the day they decided to keep Mike Pettine.

texaspackerbacker
08-18-2020, 03:18 PM
Or maybe he and the rest of the staff just don't believe like some panicky fan fools that the situation and needs are so bad.

It's safe to say that if Gutekunst was in this room, he'd be the smartest person in the room - football mind anyway.

GB-Brandon
08-18-2020, 04:25 PM
Or maybe he and the rest of the staff just don't believe like some panicky fan fools that the situation and needs are so bad.

It's safe to say that if Gutekunst was in this room, he'd be the smartest person in the room - football mind anyway.

Well if I remember right you had your own concerns over Pettine and scheme, The D-line and wanted some speed at the slot position at the WR position and even corner help.

Here we are and nothing has really changed but we have a new power back and some interior OL help and a gadget piece for LaFleur's big offense. Oh yeah, Aaron Rodgers successor too that looks to be a bigger project then even anticipated.

Overall though, as far as 2020 It's like running your cloths through the washing machine and they come out dirty and saying lets just wash them again. Not sure how smart that is?

texaspackerbacker
08-19-2020, 07:58 AM
As I have said, I was campaigning for a speed WR in the draft. I've gotten over that now - satisfied that what we have is good enough. I don't recall complaining about Pettine's scheme (although maybe I'm getting old and forgetful hahahaha). I have always been thankful with him and several other DCs that we have a scheme emphasizing pass rush. I hated it long ago when we were otherwise. I did often defend Capers, though - mainly for the same reason. Maybe that's what you're thinking of. And yeah, I wanted Corner help. I don't have the faith that many have in Kevin King, and Alexander IMO took a step backward last season. Hopefully he can get back on track this year.

You're right, not much has changed. They went with Love - who I definitely would not have taken, but then I had no idea Dillon was as good as it seems he might be either. The "smartest-person-in-the-room" thing would be Pettine apparently diagnosing that not much immediate help was needed, and I'd have to go along with him on that. We'll see, I guess.

I haven't seen you in the prediction thread yet.

run pMc
08-19-2020, 11:12 AM
Agree that I haven't liked some of Gute's moves, but this is Year 3 of his first draft so we should get an idea of how he is there by end of season. The challenge is a team has more holes than it can fill in any given season.
Getting rid of M3 was a given. Jury's out on MLF, but what he's done overall is ok.
He's more active in FA than TT.
Draftwise he's made some head-scratching picks (as did TT) and I think we have to wait and see. Would be huge if they could get quality production from Jackson and Burks, and if 2 of Gary/Savage/Sternberger make a jump this year.
Managing the cap to keep their best players will be the other thing to watch.

Gute's done enough to keep his job for now.

Having an opinion doesn't make you an expert.

GB-Brandon
08-19-2020, 11:29 AM
Agree that I haven't liked some of Gute's moves, but this is Year 3 of his first draft so we should get an idea of how he is there by end of season. The challenge is a team has more holes than it can fill in any given season.
Getting rid of M3 was a given. Jury's out on MLF, but what he's done overall is ok.
He's more active in FA than TT.
Draftwise he's made some head-scratching picks (as did TT) and I think we have to wait and see. Would be huge if they could get quality production from Jackson and Burks, and if 2 of Gary/Savage/Sternberger make a jump this year.
Managing the cap to keep their best players will be the other thing to watch.

Gute's done enough to keep his job for now.

Having an opinion doesn't make you an expert.

Yet the Story has remained the same for the better part of six months and i'm done repeating it. Well see what happens. At this point we can start going into the evaluation stage but it sucks not being able to be at camp or have any pre-season games.

run pMc
08-19-2020, 04:36 PM
Well you could always send Murphy an email or give him a call to voice your opinion. Agree for now we have to watch and cheer them on.

SudsMcBucky
08-20-2020, 09:35 AM
Yet the Story has remained the same for the better part of six months and i'm done repeating it. Well see what happens. At this point we can start going into the evaluation stage but it sucks not being able to be at camp or have any pre-season games.

Promise?

GB-Brandon
08-20-2020, 10:46 AM
Promise?

For now but the situation very well could further deteriorate moving forward initiating future dialogue. This is by far the most heinous thing I’ve experienced with the Packers in over the last ten years and possibly longer which is probably why the situation has required such advanced discussions.

Just yesterday there was a massive scare regarding D. Adams.

sharpe1027
08-20-2020, 03:32 PM
For now but the situation very well could further deteriorate moving forward initiating future dialogue. This is by far the most heinous thing I’ve experienced with the Packers in over the last ten years and possibly longer which is probably why the situation has required such advanced discussions.

Just yesterday there was a massive scare regarding D. Adams.
It was probably a rhetorical question since we all knew the real answer.

Tony Oday
08-20-2020, 04:09 PM
I HATE the Love pick, I do not think he was so special that the Packers had to give up what they did to get him. I REALLY hope people can quote this and throw it back in my face that I am a dumb ass muncher. There is no reason we did not add a WR, I like the bigger running back, better TE's but it feels like we do not have the weapons at WR UNLESS we see some big steps by the youngins.

VERY interested to see who of the Smiths or Gary moves inside.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-20-2020, 11:45 PM
I HATE the Love pick, I do not think he was so special that the Packers had to give up what they did to get him. I REALLY hope people can quote this and throw it back in my face that I am a dumb ass muncher. There is no reason we did not add a WR, I like the bigger running back, better TE's but it feels like we do not have the weapons at WR UNLESS we see some big steps by the youngins.

German Shepherd could draft Pat Mahomes and you’d still hate the pick. You, O’Day, are the antithesis of my pal Partial. There ain’t a black QB Partial doesn’t love, whereas there’s not a black QB you don’t hate.

As for moi-self, I like moi food spicy, moi beer cold, moi women hot, moi corners dark and moi QBs pale.

Tony Oday
08-21-2020, 11:21 AM
German Shepherd could draft Pat Mahomes and you’d still hate the pick. You, O’Day, are the antithesis of my pal Partial. There ain’t a black QB Partial doesn’t love, whereas there’s not a black QB you don’t hate.

As for moi-self, I like moi food spicy, moi beer cold, moi women hot, moi corners dark and moi QBs pale.

I could care less if he is black, I freaking hope he is a hall of fame player, I just see the analysis and it doesn't seem like he was worth the capital to move up and not select a WR. You see everything as race based and I feel sorry for you. Maybe you can get help.

gbgary
08-22-2020, 12:01 PM
clearly they don't think the wr room is as thin as others do. they have adams, they have a speed guy, they have possession guys, they have TE's, etc. the Love pick makes perfect sense. he checks all their boxes for what they want in a qb and he's cheap for several years (which they'll need because of covid trashing the cap). they know the SB window is closed with Rodgers. his cap hit going forward is untenable. they'll need that $40m windfall they'll get in 2022 (if Rodgers is gone after this season). if they structure things right they might even be able to keep Jones.

bobblehead
08-22-2020, 10:46 PM

Absolutely NOBODY liked that pick, so no one will be able to throw it in your face. Best case we act like...shit, was going to make a political reference, but lets just say we will be scrubbing our histories if he turns all pro.

RashanGary
08-23-2020, 07:57 AM
There can only be one smartest guy in the room at any given point. And here, consistently, that is me :wink: Brandon just can’t handle that :lol: