View Full Version : Not nearly as early as the past 53 man Roster Predictions

bobblehead
08-26-2020, 03:01 PM
QB-3- Rodgers, Boyle, Love
RB-5- Jones, Williams, Dillon, Lovett, Ervin
TE-4- Tonyan, Sternberger, Lewis, Deguarra
WR-5- Adams, Lazard, MVS, EQSBrown, Begelton
OL-9- Bak, Jenkins, Linsey, Taylor, Turner, Wagner, Runyan, Patrick, Hansen

DL-5-Clark, Lowrey, Kingsley, Lancaster, Previlon?? (else)
ILB-4- Kirksey, Martin, Burks, Summers
OLB-5- Z, Preston, Gary, Garvin, Williams
CB-6- Alexander, King, Sullivan, Jackson, Hollman, Sunderland
S-4- Savage, Amos, Greene, Scott

Crosby, Scott, Bradley

This roster is overall more set than previous years. There will be a few surprises I'm sure, and a couple spots could go different. Kumerow for Begelton, Lovett might end up PS instead of roster allowing another safety type. I think Previlon won't be on team, but we will scour the waiver wires or Montravious might salvage a last season. A lot can happen after the first 7 on the OL. But honestly, I feel like the first 48 are pretty well settled coming in.

SudsMcBucky
08-26-2020, 03:31 PM
I thought they were having expanded rosters this year. Or did I just think I heard that?

Patler
08-26-2020, 04:59 PM
I thought they were having expanded rosters this year. Or did I just think I heard that?

Rosters remain at 53 for 2020, but two players from the practice squad can be added to increase overall roster sizes to 55 on gameday. The two ps guys revert to the practice squad after gameday. Practice squads increase from 10 to 12. Active gameday rosters increase from 46 to 48, but there is some added requirement for the number of offensive linemen that I'm not quite certain of*.

*Edit - Game day rosters are 47. They can have 48 if at least 8 are offensive linemen.

Patler
08-26-2020, 05:13 PM
Further clarification regarding rosters:

No PS player can be elevated as #54 or #55 on game day and returned to PS automatically for two consecutive weeks, and no PS player can be elevated and returned more than twice in a season.

run pMc
08-27-2020, 06:03 PM
Actually, the practice squad is 16 players this year only because of Covid.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-nflpa-agree-to-revised-cba-salary-cap-details-training-camp-timeline-roster-size-and-more-to-know/#:~:text=Roster%20size,-In%20order%20to&text=16%20deadline%20for%20trimming%20offseason,cu tdown%20ahead%20of%20Week%201.)

And no, I'm not trying to patlerize you. :)

run pMc
08-27-2020, 06:06 PM
The expanded PS means cuts will be fairly straightforward in many cases -- there aren't many starting spots open, and they only need to go from 80 players down to 69.
Most teams will likely keep their own players because there was so little camp time, and no preseason games to scout either.

bobblehead
09-05-2020, 10:09 AM
QB-3- Rodgers, Boyle, Love
RB-5- Jones, Williams, Dillon, Lovett, Ervin
TE-4- Tonyan, Sternberger, Lewis, Deguarra
WR-5- Adams, Lazard, MVS, EQSBrown, Begelton
OL-9- Bak, Jenkins, Linsey, Taylor, Turner, Wagner, Runyan, Patrick, Hansen

DL-5-Clark, Lowrey, Kingsley, Lancaster, Previlon?? (else)
ILB-4- Kirksey, Martin, Burks, Summers
OLB-5- Z, Preston, Gary, Garvin, Williams
CB-6- Alexander, King, Sullivan, Jackson, Hollman, Sunderland
S-4- Savage, Amos, Greene, Scott

Crosby, Scott, Bradley

This roster is overall more set than previous years. There will be a few surprises I'm sure, and a couple spots could go different. Kumerow for Begelton, Lovett might end up PS instead of roster allowing another safety type. I think Previlon won't be on team, but we will scour the waiver wires or Montravious might salvage a last season. A lot can happen after the first 7 on the OL. But honestly, I feel like the first 48 are pretty well settled coming in.

Lovett and Begelton gone from my initial predictions. Edit: And Tim Williams

Anti-Polar Bear
09-05-2020, 11:16 AM
Hot fuck, they got rid of the only white WR on the team, the long-haired hipster J-Kum. 100% certain Rand, O’Day, Wist, Bobble and Rut will now be boycotting the NFL, the Packers included. Tex, not so much. Ole Tex never allows shit to get in they way of his sports enjoyment- hahaha.

In other NFL news, today I found out that Rams safety Taylor Rapp is Asian. As someone who supports NFL oddities, I smiled upon finding out the news.

RashanGary
09-05-2020, 11:44 AM
Not watching camp or preseason, I have no guess here

texaspackerbacker
09-05-2020, 12:38 PM
I just got around to looking at those cuts. Dexter Williams gone, and Lovett too at RB, Williams going surprises me.

They really cleaned house at WR. APB, I really don't pay much attention to who's white and who isn't. I assumed from the name, though, that Begelton was white. I am a little disappointed to see Kumerow go, based on how he played in the preseason last year. I wasn't even aware that we had two Maliks - Taylor and Turner. It seems like they kept the better of the two. Apparently he has some speed as well as being 6'3" and 220.

Stanford Samuels is gone too. I had heard some good things about him.

run pMc
09-05-2020, 01:31 PM
I just got around to looking at those cuts. Dexter Williams gone, and Lovett too at RB, Williams going surprises me.

They really cleaned house at WR. APB, I really don't pay much attention to who's white and who isn't. I assumed from the name, though, that Begelton was white. I am a little disappointed to see Kumerow go, based on how he played in the preseason last year. I wasn't even aware that we had two Maliks - Taylor and Turner. It seems like they kept the better of the two. Apparently he has some speed as well as being 6'3" and 220.

Stanford Samuels is gone too. I had heard some good things about him.

I'm not surprised by Dexter getting cut, although I think they'll bring him back to the PS. Same for Samuels - he's an UDFA and there's no preseason tape on him. Either him or Deshaun Amos. They can (and likely will) bring a good number of these cut players back to the PS since it's expanded this year due to COVID.

Kumerow getting cut is a mild surprise because he was fighting it out with a couple of players for the spot. You know what you have with him -- we have to assume he's at his ceiling now -- and he's a pro who will play ST and can run block. I think they liked what they saw in Malik Taylor from last year on the PS into this year - he's 6-1, 220 and runs a 4.4. A little bit of a different body type from the other tall lanky WRs and probably has more upside to explore yet than Kumerow. I wasn't sure they were going to keep ESB, but figured based on what I'd heard Taylor was a good bet and it likely was going to come down to Kumerow, ESB, and Begelton for the last spot.

John Lovett getting cut means we'll see a lot of H-back and 1-back. A.Jones, Jamaal, Dillon, Ervin as a swiss army knife player ain't bad. I agree with others who've said we can expect the RB (and TE hopefully) to play a larger role in passing game than we're used to from the M3 days.

I'd heard good things about Tim Williams; a little surprised he was cut before Greg Roberts and Randy Ramsey (who might still get cut).

RashanGary
09-05-2020, 02:23 PM
I’m spamming the shit out of this topic, but 12 excels with experienced, smart players. Jamal Williams worked really hard on his route running and pass catching on top of being an elite pass blocker. He’s such a savvy guy. He’s our right now, Aaron Rodgers compatible Swiss Army knife. Our Kyle Juszchek (spelling).

Lafleur and Rodgers bout to show some outside the box creativity!

wist43
09-05-2020, 09:43 PM
Here is the team’s initial 53-man roster:

OFFENSE (25)

QB (3): Aaron Rodgers, Tim Boyle, Jordan Love

RB (4): Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, A.J. Dillon, Tyler Ervin

WR (5): Davante Adams, Allen Lazard, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown, Malik Taylor

TE (4): Marcedes Lewis, Robert Tonyan, Jace Sternberger, Josiah Deguara

OL (9): David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Lane Taylor, Corey Linsley, Billy Turner, Lucas Patrick, Yosh Nijman, Jon Runyan

DEFENSE (25)
DL (5): Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry, Tyler Lancaster, Montravius Adams, Kingsley Keke

ILB (4): Christian Kirksey Oren Burks, Kamal Martin, Ty Summers

OLB (5): Za’Darius Smith, Preston Smith, Rashan Gary, Jonathan Garvin, Randy Ramsey

CB (6): Jaire Alexander, Kevin King, Chandon Sullivan, Josh Jackson, Ka’dar Hollman, Kabion Ento

S (5): Adrian Amos, Darnell Savage, Raven Greene, Will Redmond, Vernon Scott

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)

K: Mason Crosby
P: JK Scott
LS: Hunter Bradley

--------------------------------------

Man, that DL looks pretty iffy... hopefully Keke can step up.

And the ILB's??? Yikes!!!

RashanGary
09-06-2020, 09:32 AM
Every one of the DL is young and back for another season. No doubt, health pending, that group is better.

Z and P are in their second years in the defense

Gary is in his second year in the league and 2nd year in D. A team that’s short on ILBs, that plays a lot of hybrid safety types should benefit with Gary’s skill set over Fackrell’s, especially on 1st and 2nd down vs elite run offenses

Kirksey is a faster, more complete version of Blake. Is experienced in Pettines defense and NFL defense in general. Greene is healthy this year. Is experienced in Pettines defense.

Amos is in his second year in the defense. Savage is in his second year in the defense and in the league.

Alexander is just hitting his prime. King is just hitting his prime.

Sullivan is in his second year in the defense. Physical nickel corner who shows a lot of intelligence and upside as an inside coverage player. Working with the same secondary group as last year. Should have good chemistry.

Redmond is back for another year. Another chemistry player who knows how to work with the starters and in the defense.

Hollman and jackson are back for another year. Even if limited, are better than brand new 1st year players with the chemistry and experience.

From top to bottom.... especially up front with every DL, Z and P all being more experienced in the defense.... and in the back end too, all guys back and more experienced.... Pettine has one of the most athletic and experienced defensive groups in the league. There is no rookies or first year guys to mess up the details. He has guys who know each other, know the defense, and should be able to handle all sorts of defensive calls without a lot of mistakes.

This was a top 10 defense a year ago. I’m fairly certain, health pending, they’re top 5 this year. Pass rush and secondary are the biggest strengths, so third down defense looks to be elite. With the secondary so strong, and the DL so experienced, 1st and 2nd down look to allow for a more aggressive run stopping front, while they lean on the secondary to do more in the back end.

bobblehead
09-06-2020, 09:46 AM
There are a lot of reasons to be optimistic. I agree with wist we are thin at DL. I bet they add a guy somewhere and draft one pretty high next year (although its hard to grade young guys that big. They are still developing which is why TT usually drafted them late and often).

There were no shocks here. Biggest for me was Randy Ramsey making the squad. 5 at OLB, and a guy who I didn't hear much about throughout camp. I would have bet on Bayless over him if there was a betting line. Bayless not making squad would probably be 2nd biggest "shock" which is pretty mild.

GB-Brandon
09-06-2020, 10:11 AM
It’s almost the same holes as last year. No legit receiver in sight after Adams. Clark or Kirksey injuries and the defense is in major trouble all the sudden. Need someone to step up at TE.

Big potential problems at RT.

Bretsky
09-06-2020, 10:32 AM
no surprises to me

We are a playoff team with similar weaknesses to what we have in the past.

In terms of points scores and points given up per game, it should be interesting which unit performs better, offense or defense

RashanGary
09-06-2020, 12:35 PM
no surprises to me

We are a playoff team with similar weaknesses to what we have in the past.

In terms of points scores and points given up per game, it should be interesting which unit performs better, offense or defense

Similarly players on paper

At different stages in their careers where improvement is likely

At a different stage in the installation of a new offense

And in the third year of the same defense with a lot of returning young pieces

RashanGary
09-06-2020, 12:36 PM
The Vikings sort of peaked for the last two or three years with that sort of continuity on defense. The Packers are peaking right now with that sort of continuity in all three phases.

Bretsky
09-06-2020, 04:46 PM
The Vikings sort of peaked for the last two or three years with that sort of continuity on defense. The Packers are peaking right now with that sort of continuity in all three phases.

I haven't seen the Packers peak yet on defense; but that might occur this year. They seem to have the personnel. Petting is out of escuses for the team not having an elite defense IMO.

RashanGary
09-06-2020, 06:09 PM
I haven't seen the Packers peak yet on defense; but that might occur this year. They seem to have the personnel. Petting is out of escuses for the team not having an elite defense IMO.

Agree. Each secondary player played well last year and almost no doubt they’ll be better because they’re all young and ascending

Alexander - looks like a probable top 10 corner as he enters his prime
King - looks like a probable top 20 corner as he enters his prime
Amos - a top 15 safety
Savage - looks like at least a top 15 safety going into his better years
Sullivan - perfect skill set for slot. Not a top player, but a glue guy

I wouldn’t say any of them are HOFers, but not many teams have 4 guys that would start on just about any team in the league and the 5th, 6th and 7th all have experience and talent. Most teams have a weak spot. We don’t. It opens up a lot of options to mix and mask and also the option to play the run hard on first and second down cuz the secondary can hold up alone back there. No weak link to pick on.

RashanGary
09-06-2020, 06:11 PM
And obviously, up front, we have the best nose in football and two of the better edge rushers. Along with all of the DL being so young. Even without new players, the young guys should be better

GB-Brandon
09-06-2020, 07:50 PM
The D-line isn’t deep or strong enough after KC for this defense to be elite.

RashanGary
09-06-2020, 10:05 PM
The D-line isn’t deep or strong enough after KC for this defense to be elite.

I’d bet against you on this one!