PDA

View Full Version : GETTIN NO LOVE

Bretsky
08-28-2020, 11:21 PM
Lots of media about Jordan Love and how poortly he's looked so far in camp. National Media was all over reports from the athletic.com as well as some interviews with the Packer media guys.

I'm not going to bag on Jordan Love yet. I'm on record as actually liking his talent. I just thought it was stupid to overpay by giving up your 4th to get him.

Jordan Love has no rookie camp, and in reality no training camp either. He's probably our 3rd stringer all year

But look at how that Kenny Clark contact is structured. To me it's clear the Packers are planning on Rodgers being her only two more years. So Love has to get ready soon.

But all of this criticism of Jordan love at this point is even more stupid than Gutebag gift wrapping his 4th round draft pick and overpaying for him :)))

bobblehead
08-28-2020, 11:23 PM
I think you should get on the Tim Boyle Bandwagon. Part of the reason Love is 3rd string is because by all accounts Boyle is having a really nice camp.

Upnorth
08-29-2020, 08:38 AM
The negative comments on love get more play but when he has been sharp it doesn't get traction. Lafluer just praised him ( and gary) yesterday

Bretsky
08-29-2020, 10:17 AM
The negative comments on love get more play but when he has been sharp it doesn't get traction. Lafluer just praised him ( and gary) yesterday

It actually worried me when coached make points to praise certain players. I saw a local article a few weeks ago that GB thinks our WR's are just fine. You never see this stuff about the non worry positions.

Early on, remember who great Gary was last year ? And then games kicked in. What I have heard from reporters watching practices is his accuracy has not been good. We've got 2 years to fix that before they run Rodgers out of town.

But that is a bit concerning

Bretsky
08-29-2020, 10:19 AM
I think you should get on the Tim Boyle Bandwagon. Part of the reason Love is 3rd string is because by all accounts Boyle is having a really nice camp.

I've heard more than one, and the Athletic state Love has not looked good at all. But I'm not worried; he has 2 years.

I have always liked Boyle as well though. Not sold that he can start long term but he can be a valuable Matt Flynn type backup

Patler
08-29-2020, 10:58 AM
I've read several times that his accuracy is very good when he just let's it rip, but not so good when he tries to finesse a throw. He has also been indecisive. (No surprise there, especially this year.) All typical of inexperienced, young QBs.

We aren't hearing, reading or seeing anything that was not completely expected from him. Even the most positive scouting reports about him said he needed to go to a team that wouldn't want him to play right away. He was going to need time to be ready to play. He probably ended up in one of the very best situations that he could have. We will see if it works in a few years, not this year. Unfortunately, he is not getting nearly as much out of this year as he normally would have.

Speaking of Gary, in response to a reporters question one of the coaches said "guys like him don't fail". Said he is physically gifted and one of the most passionate about the game that he has been around. As an example, he said late one evening he got an email from Gary asking for things he should work on the next day to get better. Coach said the important thing to note was that the next day was an off day, but Gary wanted it to use it to improve instead. Reporters have said he has had some very impressive pass rushes in drills. Let's hope, anyway!

Patler
08-29-2020, 11:08 AM
It actually worried me when coached make points to praise certain players. I saw a local article a few weeks ago that GB thinks our WR's are just fine. You never see this stuff about the non worry positions.

Early on, remember who great Gary was last year ? And then games kicked in. What I have heard from reporters watching practices is his accuracy has not been good. We've got 2 years to fix that before they run Rodgers out of town.

But that is a bit concerning

I've heard more than one, and the Athletic state Love has not looked good at all. But I'm not worried; he has 2 years.

So, let me see if I understand your position:
- We should believe as true what ever click-bait sports reporters write or say about any player.
- We should be skeptical about what the coaches say about players because it is mere puffery.

Is that about right?. :) :)

texaspackerbacker
08-29-2020, 11:24 AM
I was as pissed off as anybody when they drafted Love, but I've come around to the view that he has a decent chance to be good.

As for Rodgers only being around two more years, I absolutely don't believe it. Either the moves are in recognition of a lower than normal cap increase this year followed by a bigger than normal increase the next year, or else it is with the idea that Rodgers will be restructured in two years.

As for only seeing comments about being fine with a position when there is reason to worry, I'd say the comments are more likely in reaction to the silly panic on the part of many fans and media pukes about our WRs.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-29-2020, 11:44 AM
Allow me to echo Tony O’Day: The GOAT, the Great Arm of Butte, couldn’t beat out Craig Nall as a rook. The GAB was gift-wrapped the backup gig via default.

Chill on Jordan Love Hewitt.

RashanGary
08-29-2020, 02:13 PM
Allow me to echo Tony O’Day: The GOAT, the Great Arm of Butte, couldn’t beat out Craig Nall as a rook. The GAB was gift-wrapped the backup gig via default.

Chill on Jordan Love Hewitt.

Pretty much. And AR took 4’s 13-3 team who gave up like 11 sacks all season and turned it into a 6-10 squad that gave up 50 sacks. So there’s that too.

RashanGary
08-29-2020, 02:14 PM
AR got his shit really together in 2010.

2008 below average
2009 average with glimpses
2010 HOF level play

And that was after three years of sitting

run pMc
08-29-2020, 02:54 PM
I'm not surprised he's looked a little shaky, coming from Utah State as a junior into a pro offense.
This year without all the camps and snaps that a rookie QB needs haven't been there for him, and I think the reports are a little overblown because camp news is so locked down.
I'll worry next year if he doesn't look better.

Boyle is and should be the #2 QB. He's earned it. Rodgers isn't going anywhere (for now).

Patler
08-29-2020, 03:22 PM
Pretty much. And AR took 4’s 13-3 team who gave up like 11 sacks all season and turned it into a 6-10 squad that gave up 50 sacks. So there’s that too.

That brings up a good point. Every QB has to find their "style", and the team needs to learn how to incorporate that style into their offense. Favre and Rodgers are almost polar opposites.

Favre never worried about interceptions, and especially later in his career seemed to dread being sacked. He would do almost anything to avoid a sack. Rodgers, on the other hand, abhors interceptions, and will hold the ball, take a sack or run to avoid it. Either way can work, as we have seen, but some things have to be done differently for one or the other.

First, Love has to find his comfort zone, then coaches have to devise how to best use it.

Bretsky
08-29-2020, 03:25 PM
I've read several times that his accuracy is very good when he just let's it rip, but not so good when he tries to finesse a throw. He has also been indecisive. (No surprise there, especially this year.) All typical of inexperienced, young QBs.

We aren't hearing, reading or seeing anything that was not completely expected from him. Even the most positive scouting reports about him said he needed to go to a team that wouldn't want him to play right away. He was going to need time to be ready to play. He probably ended up in one of the very best situations that he could have. We will see if it works in a few years, not this year. Unfortunately, he is not getting nearly as much out of this year as he normally would have.

Speaking of Gary, in response to a reporters question one of the coaches said "guys like him don't fail". Said he is physically gifted and one of the most passionate about the game that he has been around. As an example, he said late one evening he got an email from Gary asking for things he should work on the next day to get better. Coach said the important thing to note was that the next day was an off day, but Gary wanted it to use it to improve instead. Reporters have said he has had some very impressive pass rushes in drills. Let's hope, anyway!

I read this stuff about Gary all the time and don't know what to think other than to shrug my shoulders and hope for the best. In 4 years at Michigan, they tried to find his inner beast too.
But they didn't

Bretsky
08-29-2020, 03:28 PM
So, let me see if I understand your position:
- We should believe as true what ever click-bait sports reporters write or say about any player.
- We should be skeptical about what the coaches say about players because it is mere puffery.

Is that about right?. :) :)

Incorrect

We don't have to believe the click bait. Whether I buy it or not I underscore it and consider this a redshirt year for our project with upside.

But coaches are famous for puffery. I'm always skeptical about that. Puffery is the one thing to be sure we're getting on an annual basis, and it's rarely pufferying the producers who we are confident in

RashanGary
08-29-2020, 07:11 PM
That brings up a good point. Every QB has to find their "style", and the team needs to learn how to incorporate that style into their offense. Favre and Rodgers are almost polar opposites.

Favre never worried about interceptions, and especially later in his career seemed to dread being sacked. He would do almost anything to avoid a sack. Rodgers, on the other hand, abhors interceptions, and will hold the ball, take a sack or run to avoid it. Either way can work, as we have seen, but some things have to be done differently for one or the other.

First, Love has to find his comfort zone, then coaches have to devise how to best use it.

All this and a whole bunch of things we probably haven’t thought of or realized. Way early to make calls on Love though. I think most of us are in that boat.

run pMc
08-30-2020, 02:44 PM
Incorrect

We don't have to believe the click bait. Whether I buy it or not I underscore it and consider this a redshirt year for our project with upside.

But coaches are famous for puffery. I'm always skeptical about that. Puffery is the one thing to be sure we're getting on an annual basis, and it's rarely pufferying the producers who we are confident in

If it helps, Silverstein at JSO has said Gary has looked good in camp. With Z being out for several practices he got more reps and he looks fast, powerful and sets the best edge vs. the run of the OLBs. I'm skeptical of coach-puffery as well, but in this case there might be a partial truth. I'll believe it when I see, and hope I do. :)

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2020, 04:34 PM
AR got his shit really together in 2010.

2008 below average
2009 average with glimpses
2010 HOF level play

And that was after three years of sitting

More like:

2008 Solid (28 TDs, 13 ints, he only took 34 sacks)
2009 Good (65%, 8.2 ypa, 30 TDs, 7 ints) moving to very good by the end of the year (Arizona playoff game)
2010 Good moving to great by the end of the year (Super Bowl run)
2011 On a level I had never seen by a QB

RashanGary
08-30-2020, 06:04 PM
In 2008 his stats were prettier than his losing efforts would indicate. Going from Favre, the tempo felt pathetically slow, seeming to never have the defenses on their heels. He's always been turnover adverse and made a few throws so his stats wherent awful but 37 year old favre was a lot better than 24 year old Rodgers.

Love has a long way to go before we start making threads about no love

RashanGary
08-30-2020, 06:06 PM
Rodgers showed the arm and leg talent early. He made pretty throws in his 4th NFL season for sure. Let's see love in his 4th season before we start the sky is falling talk

bobblehead
08-31-2020, 12:02 AM
Incorrect

Listen to other players. Listen to the talk out of Pittsburg on Chase Claypool. Coaches aren't saying much. Media is positive. Players are absolutely gushing. Chase might be top rookie this year.

texaspackerbacker
08-31-2020, 10:18 AM
He sounds like a slightly slower slightly heavier MVS hahahahahaha.

bobblehead
08-31-2020, 10:34 AM
Yea, 6' 4 1/2" 238 pounds and a mere 4.42. He is a beast chosen in the 2nd round of a WR rich draft. But yea, basically the same as MVS who is 1/2 inch shorter, 32 pounds lighter, but runs a whopping .05 faster. He also outjumped MVS by 10" in the vertical with an ordinary 40.5".

But hey, the other guy over 235 to run a sub 4.45 at WR was some piker named Calvin Johnson.

George Cumby
08-31-2020, 01:26 PM
If we are having this conversation 8/31/21, then I'll be concerned.

call_me_ishmael
08-31-2020, 11:29 PM
Listen to other players.

Also, not what they say, but how they say it. I remember knowing Greg Jennings was going to be an absolute stud because of how Chuck talked about him during camp. Just saying he was very advanced in his route running and supremely polished, etc.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-01-2020, 08:29 AM
Yea, 6' 4 1/2" 238 pounds and a mere 4.42. He is a beast chosen in the 2nd round of a WR rich draft. But yea, basically the same as MVS who is 1/2 inch shorter, 32 pounds lighter, but runs a whopping .05 faster. He also outjumped MVS by 10" in the vertical with an ordinary 40.5".

But hey, the other guy over 235 to run a sub 4.45 at WR was some piker named Calvin Johnson.

Yep. Shoulda drafted DK Metcalf.

RashanGary
09-08-2020, 06:38 PM
Is anyone else reminded of Colin Kaepernick when they look at Jordan Love?

(Ducks)

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2020, 11:30 PM
Is anyone else reminded of Colin Kaepernick when they look at Jordan Love?

(Ducks)

No, not really. Kaepernick had great athleticism (4.53 40), very strong arm, poor accuracy, slow delivery (long windup). Love has solid athleticism (4.74 40), a good arm, decent accuracy, solid delivery.