PDA

View Full Version : Packers secondary

RashanGary
09-05-2020, 12:36 PM
It’s not a new story, but it’s one that’s not seemingly taken seriously by fans on twitter or here. I watched nearly every game last season On game pass (45 minute condensed). I don’t think people who didn’t watch a lot of football realize how close the Packers secondary was to elite. Last year Amos, Alexander and King balled out. King especially is under appreciated.

Savage was a rookie that showed signs of being an elite talent one day, but he wasn’t great in year 1.

Sullivan showed signs of being an elite nickel. His tackling for a corner is top notch and he showed signs of being a savvy coverage player too.

All those guys working together..... the packers have a chance to be the best secondary in the league in 2020. I think what Petrine means on relying a lot on them is that he’s going to bunker down up front in the run game on 1st and 2nd. And we have one of the few secondaries that can handle it.

Top 5 defense in 2020! Bet!

Third down will be impossible for opponents with the pass rush!

RashanGary
09-05-2020, 12:52 PM
From base (kirksey/Greene) Amos is a second hybrid type that makes the Greene at LB less of a run liability
To nickel (kirsksey/Sullivan)
To dime (Kirksey/Greene/Sullivan)

Every package has experience, athleticism, tackling and team chemistry.

We have the best nose in football
One of the best edge duos
Gary is a wild card

Elite!

woodbuck27
09-05-2020, 06:26 PM
Believe.

bobblehead
09-05-2020, 08:09 PM
A great pass rush makes an average secondary look great.

RashanGary
01-03-2021, 10:18 PM
Secondary playing pretty well down the stretch here

texaspackerbacker
01-04-2021, 12:31 PM
It's safe to say the secondary was the strength of the D, but Kevin King still is the weak link. Robinson couldn't get a sniff of a reception against Alexander, but he beat King several times. King also missed several tackles on run plays. If we let King go and get lucky drafting his replacement, this secondary would be top level.

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2021, 01:06 PM
Robinson had 2 catches. :) King had position on one of the, but sometimes the star WR makes a play.

RashanGary
01-04-2021, 01:17 PM
Jackson and Hollman should get their chance next year. Considering the strength of the rest of the unit and the practice experience of said new players, it shouldn't be a dumpster fire. But keeping savage and Alexander seems to be priority over king. Continuing to draft corner talent seems obvious so as to never have a true dumpster fire, which king clearly isn’t.

Guiness
01-04-2021, 01:32 PM
Robinson had 2 catches. :) King had position on one of the, but sometimes the star WR makes a play.

Robinson made one amazing catch I remember, with King in excellent coverage. He got pretty much no YAC on it.

texaspackerbacker
01-04-2021, 01:56 PM

He wasn't able to against Alexander - apparently in a lot more reps, and King got beat by the other WR too.

RashanGary
01-04-2021, 02:42 PM
He wasn't able to against Alexander - apparently in a lot more reps, and King got beat by the other WR too.

King isn't as good as jaire.
Lizard isn't as good as Adams.

That is what that is but it doesn't mean the other player is trash.

RashanGary
01-04-2021, 02:47 PM
Redmond and Kirksey seemed to split about 50% of the snaps. When we went smaller, Amos was linebacker and Redmond safety. When we went big it was Amos at safety and Kirksey in that second linebacker role. I guess that's the role kirksey always played in Cleveland so he's more natural there. Barnes is a tough dude. Thoroughly impressed.

RashanGary
01-04-2021, 02:52 PM
We miss Greene. I don't notice Redmond making plays like Greene seemed to. But it's nice that Amos is able to shift so we can utilize our other experienced safety (Redmond) and not have to go futilely young in the back.

texaspackerbacker
01-05-2021, 01:48 PM
King isn't as good as jaire.
Lizard isn't as good as Adams.

That is what that is but it doesn't mean the other player is trash.

I guess. A #2 WR generally isn't in position to give up TDs and potentially lose games like a #2 Corner, though. I never said King was trash, just that he's probably not worth the money it would take to re-sign him, especially with the decreasing cap.

+1 to your other observations about the DBs, though.

RashanGary
01-05-2021, 05:24 PM
Just saw a pic of young leroy butler. Built kinda like savage. A good comp?

Savage ran 4.37. Butler 4.56. But butler obviously played closer to 4.37. Kinda similar in size and heat seeking missile playstyle.

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2021, 06:28 PM
Where did you read 4.56 for Butler? I’m pretty sure he was faster. Came in as an athletic CB from FSU. Woodson was a better Cover guy than Butler, but they had a lot of similarities. LeRoy was a good tackler, but not a heat seeking missile. That was Chuck Cecil. Savage is more like Collins, but Collins was a full grown man. Savage is a bit skinny.

The Shadow
01-05-2021, 10:05 PM
Secondary jelling. Like to see less cushion.

Jaire
01-05-2021, 11:16 PM
A great pass rush makes an average secondary look great.

Agreed

But the Packers have seemingly always been about the secondary first on defense. On offense its about QB and WR and a solid line.

That said I like this secondary almost as much as the 2010. They are simply young. I wonder if they will extend King just to keep these guys together. It's starting to jell.