PDA

View Full Version : Mike Pettine’s fastball

RashanGary
09-08-2020, 06:10 PM
Pettine said with the shortened off season, teams might have to rely more on their fastball out of the gate and work in those curveballs as the season unfolds.

In play calling terms, he was saying his defense is gonna line up early in the season and primarily do what they do best. So what could that look like?

On first and second down, the Packers have struggled to stop the run. Neither Z or P are particularly good at setting an edge and playing the run.

However, pettine does have the luxury of a veteran secondary. Last year with Savage being a rookie, I don’t think he wanted to play as much true one safety looks. This year, on first down, I could easily see Pettines fast ball being 8 in the box and asking Savage To use his elite speed to cover from hash to hash with Alexander and Kings speed making that even more possible.

1st and second down fast ball = 8 in the box, one safety high, run stopping looks, leaning more on the secondary than they did a year ago.

3rd down is obvious. 4 man rushes, few blitzes cuz our guys get home anyway and mixed masked coverages in the back

Game one, this is what I expect to see. The biggest difference between 2019 and now is Pettines ability to ask more of the secondary and commit more run stopping resources on 1st and 2nd down.

Top 5 D.

Championship!

RashanGary
09-08-2020, 06:25 PM
Last year he talked about his DL and OLBs having to play a gap and a half. He was protecting his rookie free safety by avoiding 8 man boxes and asking more out of the guys up front.

This year he’s talking about the continuity and talent in the back. 8 man box, each defender can play their gap aggressively rather than having to cover a gap and a half.

Reasons the run defense improves

1. Pettine can lean on his secondary more and call more aggresssive 8 man boxes in 2020
Z and P in second year with Pet
Gary second year in league
Clark, Lowry and Lancaster still improving
Keke improving
Adams improving and in contract year

More 8 man boxes, a better secondary and a every run defender improving are the reasons we should be better in 2020