PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 other games thread

Guiness
09-10-2020, 09:58 PM
Ok, it's been quiet in here, but this is something else - 4th quarter of the season's opening day, and there's no discussion of the game? wow:huh:

Mahomes putting on a clinic. KC's new RB is a gamer, that's going to make them even tougher to deal with on offense, if that's possible.

Houston looks...bad. The OL is horrible, both tackles are regularly getting beat and Watson has no time to do anything. David Johnson is running well though, he's doing more to take pressure off Mahomes than anything else. Just watched Watson take a 5 step drop after a shotgun snap, have someone in his face within a second. He tucked and ran around, covering about 15 yards to get back to the LOS.

call_me_ishmael
09-10-2020, 10:43 PM
Man it's great to have football back

Freak Out
09-10-2020, 11:58 PM
PB and Joe would be posting like mad...sucks they got ran off.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-11-2020, 11:42 AM
PB and Joe would be posting like mad...sucks they got ran off.

In yesteryears, Prof Rand, ole wist, O’Day, Rutnstrut, Shadow, Bobble, Fosco, Roark and Skinbaskets often frequent the Other Games threads. This year, however, they’re boycotting the NFL.

Tex said it best, “Hahahahahaha.”

Bossman641
09-13-2020, 03:59 PM
detroit lions did typical detroit lion things today...

Rutnstrut
09-13-2020, 04:12 PM
Tampa got hosed on that call.

texaspackerbacker
09-13-2020, 06:47 PM
Brady looked like crap, and Brees was ok, not much more.

Rutnstrut
09-13-2020, 07:48 PM
Brady looked like crap, and Brees was ok, not much more.

They will both be playing much better a month in.

texaspackerbacker
09-13-2020, 07:48 PM
The whole league, or at least the whole NFC other than the Packers seems a little bit down this season. As some of us expected, the Niners don't seem as good with a few personnel losses, etc. Ditto that for the Bears. Philadelphia kinda floundered. The Cowboys so far seem worse on D with a new coordinator who maybe messed things up for them - even though it seems like their personnel is improved.

RashanGary
09-13-2020, 09:04 PM
Aaron Donald is unblockable

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2020, 09:35 PM
Just turned on this game. First play, the refs miss a blow to Goff's head on the pick. Second play, he refs miss a hold on Donald. Jerry paying these guys or what?

bobblehead
09-14-2020, 11:10 AM
In yesteryears, Prof Rand, ole wist, O’Day, Rutnstrut, Shadow, Bobble, Fosco, Roark and Skinbaskets often frequent the Other Games threads. This year, however, they’re boycotting the NFL.

Tex said it best, “Hahahahahaha.”

I am not boycotting the NFL. I even stood in my living room, hand over heart for the Black National Anthem.

That being said, I have a couple observations. One, MM can't help but blame the refs. He probably will have a nice 10 win season with a loaded roster.

Two, Brady is finding out how hard it is to play QB when your D doesn't hold the other team to 12 points.

bobblehead
09-14-2020, 11:13 AM
Aaron Donald is unblockable

Nonsense. If you commit the right 3 guys to him it is easy to take him out of the play.

bobblehead
09-14-2020, 11:14 AM
Just turned on this game. First play, the refs miss a blow to Goff's head on the pick. Second play, he refs miss a hold on Donald. Jerry paying these guys or what?

Third play, Fat Mike complains that the officials are costing him his place in history as a brilliant head coach.

texaspackerbacker
09-14-2020, 11:27 AM
A lot more calls went against the Cowboys in that game than for them, especially the OPI on Gallup in the last few seconds of the game.

I don't know if McCarthy is gonna be a success for them or not, but he sure handicapped himself by bringing in a second generation piece of crap as his D Coordinator (Nolan).

bobblehead
09-14-2020, 11:36 AM
He handicaps everything he touches by being an unlikable douche.

RashanGary
09-14-2020, 12:36 PM
SF got shredded by Murray. Murray looks real good. Hard to bet against him cuz he wrecks defendes with his legs. The unstoppable 49ers looking..... Stopable... But Shanahan likes to try a lot of things early in the year. He got away with some cutsie wins last year and developed a nice arsonal of things his guys do well by the end. This year, not so lucky, early anyway. Good team, about on par with Packers. Receivers of Packers looked like the difference tho :lol:

Sparkey
09-14-2020, 12:55 PM
SF got shredded by Murray. Murray looks real good. Hard to bet against him cuz he wrecks defendes with his legs. The unstoppable 49ers looking..... Stopable... But Shanahan likes to try a lot of things early in the year. He got away with some cutsie wins last year and developed a nice arsonal of things his guys do well by the end. This year, not so lucky, early anyway. Good team, about on par with Packers. Receivers of Packers looked like the difference tho :lol:

Don't forget the history of teams losing the previous years Superb Owl is not a good one...

RashanGary
09-14-2020, 01:21 PM
I watch all the games. Just watched Hussey referee the colts jags in a horrible fashion. Decided this year to keep bad refareeing in my gambling data and who the bad crew was. Can't bet on games that are over refd. No telling who's better

RashanGary
09-14-2020, 01:29 PM
I'm a big Minshew fan. Has the Favre demeanor. Competitive, scrappy, clever, tough. Arm looks a slight tick stronger this year. Curious if he can grind and will his body into getting a little more arm strength next year the way Cousins clearly grinded his way into better athleticism.this year.

I'm a big Cousins fan this year too. Gonna have monster year.

Sparkey
09-14-2020, 02:27 PM
How bout dem Cowboys?!

RashanGary
09-14-2020, 03:27 PM
After the seahawks game.... Gotta say, might be the best back 7 I've seen the last two years. DL is weak.

Wilson is a true HOF Qb in his prime with good weapons. OL is bad.

But we match up well to them. I hope they make playoffs. And best 9ers.

49ers still probably our worst matchup. But, Cardibals, Rams and Seahawks all look real solid. I dont expect SF to have a great record and if we get fans for the playoffs, could easily see us beating them at home, if they make it at all in that brutal division

RashanGary
09-14-2020, 03:37 PM
Of the losing teams, 49ers situation is fixable with WR health. Vikings situation is fixable with pass rush health and growth from the corners.

Top 3 I've watched so far (and I haven't seen Tampa and NO yet)
Packers
49ers
Vikings
Cardinals (maybe)

Seahawks weak up front on both sides. Don't think they have a chance.
Cowboys bad pass defense. Don't like their chances
Rams just so ho hum decent. I dont like their lack of star power.

Packers definitely in the SB conversation. I doubt I'm gonna like NO or Tampa. I see both QBs as washed up. Both looked in slow motion to me last year.

Fosco33
09-14-2020, 03:46 PM
Anyone else cheering for dem Boys to be slightly above average but not great so they can deal w/ 5-7 years of M3?

George Cumby
09-14-2020, 04:38 PM
^ I like how you think.

He also has to submissively urinate when Jerrah walks in the room.

RashanGary
09-14-2020, 05:08 PM
:lol: McCarthy!

Just watched Eagles/Redskins. Eagles OL is pathetic. Wentz doesnt know when to take a loss. Too aggressive with that bad OL. Redskins dismantled the eagles OL. WOW!!! Did not expect that. Best DL Performanceof the 8 games I watched. Shocked. Haskins looked almost ok too. No bad mistakes. Big arm. Actually moved pretty well. Didn't think that was his game. Good, smart game for the young guy.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2020, 05:12 PM
I forgot MM is in Dallas. So much fun I've been missing out on in lockdown.

GB-Brandon
09-14-2020, 05:32 PM
:lol: McCarthy!

Just watched Eagles/Redskins. Eagles OL is pathetic. Wentz doesnt know when to take a loss. Too aggressive with that bad OL. Redskins dismantled the eagles OL. WOW!!! Did not expect that. Best DL Performanceof the 8 games I watched. Shocked. Haskins looked almost ok too. No bad mistakes. Big arm. Actually moved pretty well. Didn't think that was his game. Good, smart game for the young guy.

The Eagles were down 4 starters on the O-Line by end of game. 3 didn’t even start. That’s what happens when you run a makeshift OL against a legit front which Washington has.

RashanGary
09-14-2020, 05:54 PM
Saints/Buccaneers

Best game I watched out of the 10 so far. Brees looks like such a helpless statue. Brady's arm talent is so far above Brees. Brees has absolute command of the best overall team in football (still have to see Baltimore before I say that for sure). Game manager if there's ever been one.

Brady now, I thought he looked old by mid season with marshmallow at LT last year but he looked timeless yesterday. Big strong arm, some amazing throws. Some miscommunication, but I have no doubt him and Ariens will clean that up soon.

Saints, I love their team. QB is a question.

Buccanneers.... Imma wait a bit. If they get on the same page with 12, they've got a shot.

Rodgers best QB performance of the week (few games pending)

Rus Wilson, Kyler Murray, Brady, Cousins the other QBs I think looked real good in week 1. I don't care about stats. Didn't last year when I thought Rodgers played HOF football and not now when Brady looks like a stud (as long as his legs hold up)

Good week 1 so far. Saints dangerous. Curious to see of Brees, the closest thing to helpless I've seen since 40+ Payton, can somehow lead a stacked team to a championship. But boy, game managers have a way of winning

Fosco33
09-14-2020, 06:54 PM
My new dream job is fake crowd noise engineer

RashanGary
09-14-2020, 07:36 PM
Burrow played like garbage. Tyrod Taylor even worse. Feel bad for the otherwise solid chargers team. Both teams doomed.

Lions weak in the trenches. Doomed.

Turdbuscuit looked lost and horrible down field. An otherwise solid Bears team is doomed.

It's Packers Vikings in the north.

RashanGary
09-14-2020, 08:14 PM
Lamar Jackson is the greatest football player of all time. I've never seen a guy so smart and elite as a game manager and also the greatest athlete on the field at the same time. GOaT

GB-Brandon
09-14-2020, 08:24 PM
Burrow played like garbage. Tyrod Taylor even worse. Feel bad for the otherwise solid chargers team. Both teams doomed.

Lions weak in the trenches. Doomed.

Turdbuscuit looked lost and horrible down field. An otherwise solid Bears team is doomed.

It's Packers Vikings in the north.

I really believe your overvaluing the Vikings this year but that’s fine.

RashanGary
09-14-2020, 09:16 PM
I really believe your overvaluing the Vikings this year but that’s fine.

Cook is a real good player
Theilen is damn good
Rudolf is a crafty vet and fits a play action team well
Irv smith is hitting his prime and solid
The FB is solid too and fits a play action offense like that
Their OL is solid and played together for a bit
Cousins has always been good and his athleticism is improved now

They’re a great offense. Pass rushers will change the d

texaspackerbacker
09-14-2020, 10:24 PM
We've still got the GOAT, RG. Mahomes is the best candidate to take over that label in 12-15 years, not Jackson.

I only saw the last few seconds of the Bears game, but Trubisky - who I've always said ain't as bad as a lot of people think - apparently came through for them pretty well.

Also unlike a lot of people in here apparently, I'm not really rooting against McCarthy - partly because he now coaches my second favorite team, but mostly because he was basically more good than bad for the Packers for a long time. I blame Ted a helluva lot more for the lack of Super Bowls. You can't really even say lack of success, given the overall won/lost record and playoff appearances. And I'd take Jerry Jones' team building over that of just about anybody's GM over the last couple of decades.

Whether the Vikings are "overvalued" is gonna depend on their defense. I really want to see if other teams are able to kick them around like the Packers did, or if the Packers O is just that good. I lean toward the latter.

I don't see where you think Brady played a good game, RG. I saw most of that game, and he looked mediocre at best - nowhere near the accuracy he used to have and nowhere near of good judgment of for example, Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson.

Isn't there anybody else around here that knows how to create a poll? In the spirit of APB, I'd be interested to see how people rank black QBs - Mahomes, Wilson, Jackson, Watson, Murray, Newton, Winston, is there anybody else worth mentioning?

GB-Brandon
09-15-2020, 12:01 AM
Cook is a real good player
Theilen is damn good
Rudolf is a crafty vet and fits a play action team well
Irv smith is hitting his prime and solid
The FB is solid too and fits a play action offense like that
Their OL is solid and played together for a bit
Cousins has always been good and his athleticism is improved now

They’re a great offense. Pass rushers will change the d

They are nothing special. Lost lots of good players that were aging or wanted out that needed to be replaced.

“Mini Re-build”

Maybe next year.

GB-Brandon
09-15-2020, 12:50 AM
We've still got the GOAT, RG. Mahomes is the best candidate to take over that label in 12-15 years, not Jackson.

I don't see where you think Brady played a good game, RG. I saw most of that game, and he looked mediocre at best - nowhere near the accuracy he used to have and nowhere near of good judgment of for example, Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson.

?

I’m not sure what he is seeing in Brady either. If I’m Tampa I’m very concerned right now. They loaded the shelves for Brady but the fact is he is 43. I’m not sure he was the right choice to begin with in a Bruce Arians Vertical Threat Offense. In fact the Saints didn’t respect Brady’s arm at all and sat on him for a pick 6. He also lost control of a lot of his throws and missed real bad at times. It’s early, but I could see big trouble brewing in Tampa.

Rodgers could average 50 points a game in that offense!!!!

Sparkey
09-15-2020, 09:12 PM
Talking Brady you can't help but admire how the Pats crafted an offense that worked perfectly for Cam in his first game.

RashanGary
09-15-2020, 11:41 PM
Talking Brady you can't help but admire how the Pats crafted an offense that worked perfectly for Cam in his first game.

Yep. I bet on them to upset seahawks this week. Imma fan.

RashanGary
09-16-2020, 12:00 AM
Josh Allen
Kirk Cousins
Lamar Jackson
Kyler Murray
Daniel Jones

Those are the five QBs I see that made big gains from last year.

Allen with composure and accuracy
Cousins with athleticism and speed
Jackson with accuracy (and overall command, of which he was already really good)
Murray looks faster, more accurate and much better command
Jones same guy, just better across the board

To me, Rodgers and Wilson are cream of the NFC crop. I think Cousins is next. And then everyone else behind them. Daniel Jones has HOF makeup but probably a year too early to put him on Cousins level. Same for Murray.

RashanGary
09-16-2020, 12:01 AM
I love Minshew too. He was NFL ready on day 1. I don’t even know how that happens. I hope he gets some new age twitch training to make his arm more lively next year. His arm is just a touch weaker than most legit NFL QBs. But nigga has Favre level moxie. He’s a baller.

Patler
09-16-2020, 12:04 AM
I read today that when Brady ran for a TD Sunday, he became the oldest payer to score a TD.

RashanGary
09-16-2020, 12:06 AM
I read today that when Brady ran for a TD Sunday, he became the oldest payer to score a TD.

I thought he looked warn out last year. There’s this slow motion thing I saw with Favre and Manning at the end. Brady had that last year. But his legs look under him for now and the ball flys off his hand with a quick release. He looks like an ageless wonder. I can’t believe how good he looked

Guiness
09-16-2020, 12:08 AM
Josh Allen
Kirk Cousins
Lamar Jackson
Kyler Murray
Daniel Jones

Those are the five QBs I see that made big gains from last year.

Allen with composure and accuracy
Cousins with athleticism and speed
Jackson with accuracy (and overall command, of which he was already really good)
Murray looks faster, more accurate and much better command
Jones same guy, just better across the board

To me, Rodgers and Wilson are cream of the NFC crop. I think Cousins is next. And then everyone else behind them. Daniel Jones has HOF makeup but probably a year too early to put him on Cousins level. Same for Murray.

Jones? I haven't seen near enough to change my (and most others, I think) opinion that taking him at 6 was a hell of a reach that hasn't looked to be paying off.

RashanGary
09-16-2020, 09:39 PM
Jones? I haven't seen near enough to change my (and most others, I think) opinion that taking him at 6 was a hell of a reach that hasn't looked to be paying off.

Daniel Jones is playing on a pretty bad team. I watched all of his games last year. Big arm. Accurate. Throws great off platform and on the move. Composed af for a young guy. I’ll bet on him all day.

And giants making big improvements. Young. New coach. But hitting on some big pieces. Dexter Lawrence is a hard to find big guy in the middle there. Leonard Williams looked real good on Sunday. That’s two big guys. The rookie LT was..... decent. But he’s a rookie. Decent on game one is a real good sign. Those are three big guys. Hard to find. Jones and Barkley growing together. Maybe not this year, too young and too much coaching change. But Jones has showed signs and so has that team of having the right pieces. QB and talented young big guys.