PDA

View Full Version : Barnes band wagon

Upnorth
09-15-2020, 09:56 AM
For a guy on our roster for less time than it takes for a pizza to get delivered this guy was solid. 5 tackles and 2 assists in less snaps than you have fingers and toes ( at least I hope you have more than 15).

Imaging how much better he will be once he opens the playbook!!!!

Is it early, you bet. Is it national over reaction week. Yes. Let's ride the Barnes bus all the way to the superb owl!!!

GB-Brandon
09-15-2020, 10:06 AM
Kind of reminds me of a Sam Barrington type. I’m all for it. Not sure why they still even keep Burks on the roster at this point.

Freak Out
09-15-2020, 10:49 AM
He had a heck of a game for being thrown to the lions. Great read on that screen.

run pMc
09-15-2020, 11:01 AM
but but but his high school quarterback teammate was Jordan Love, so he must be garbage and overdrafted. ;)
https://dairylandexpress.com/2020/05/22/green-bay-packers-scouting-report-udfa-lb-krys-barnes/

Seriously, he did play some good snaps and I think we won't be seeing much of Burks unless it's mop up time or ST. Too bad - I had high hopes for Burks when he was drafted.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2020, 11:29 AM
A feel good post about a UDFA having a good first game. Followed by yet another dig at Burks. Ugh! Hopefully, this guy is decent. Really want to see how Martin does when he comes back. Burks isn't going anywhere this year. He's one of our core players on special teams. He and Redmond had the most ST snaps.

RashanGary
09-15-2020, 02:42 PM
Fuck it, I’m in. He’s got a quick trigger and seems competent

Joemailman
09-16-2020, 04:35 PM
Barn. Bandwagon.

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/red-green-old-antique-wagon-front-red-barn-farm-missouri-town-wooden-fence-42768236.jpg

bobblehead
09-16-2020, 05:38 PM
Picture makes me homesick. But hell, why not. Burks sucks, might as well find something to get excited about.

Sparkey
09-19-2020, 05:02 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWWauX_R9R4fmiOxCqRRg6XvyTSi7-fOZF-AUJvSggkA&s

Here I come sucker!

George Cumby
09-19-2020, 05:04 PM
Fuck it, I’m in. He’s got a quick trigger and seems competent

+1

Upnorth
10-07-2020, 01:25 PM
Barnes looked great so far. 85 defensive snaps with 25 tackles or assists. And he generally takes good lines and plays good contain from what I can see. You guys who understand lb play better than me please break him down for us dumb one's.

Spaulding
10-07-2020, 04:40 PM
He seems like the opposite of Burks. Burks was athletic (RAS score of 9.73) but considered raw and unpolished. His collegiate results weren't all that impressive at Vanderbilt and so somewhat of a workout wonder and clocked as low as 4.50 with an official time of 4.59.

Barnes on the other hand was a polished Power 5 ILB but considered not near as athletic. An inch shorter and only a few pounds heavier, he was clocked as low as 4.66 with an official time of 4.76. Pretty slow for an undersized (235lbs) ILB and thus went undrafted.

However his natural instincts appear to be exceptional and the reply they played on Monday night where he bit on the play action run to the right but then had the awareness and quickness to drop back into coverage and get his hand on the ball in the air was pretty awesome. Granted the tip pass ended up as a completion but the play itself showed how he belongs on the field. Definitely an upgrade over Burks who has flashed nothing. Will be interesting to see when Kirksey comes back from injury what they decide regarding the starter and division of playing time.

Short of timed 40 speed, he seems to have fluid hips and thus an ability to change direction quickly and his short burst quickness seems more than adequate to make impact plays as long as his play recognition remains high.

Looking to be an excellent find so far by Gute and the Packers scouting department.

HarveyWallbangers
10-07-2020, 05:35 PM
I was looking at his mock pro day video. They claim these were his results:

6'1" 235
4.68 40 electronic (4.62 hand)
4.30 short shuttle
7.00 3 cone
25 bench

Pro Day results are often questionable, and these mock pro days even moreso, but in pads he looks close to these. If these are close to legit, athletically he's a Zach Baun clone.

6'2" 238
4.65 40
4.31 shuttle
7.00 3 cone
24 bench

bobblehead
10-08-2020, 08:03 AM
I was looking at his mock pro day video. They claim these were his results:

6'1" 235
4.68 40 electronic (4.62 hand)
4.30 short shuttle
7.00 3 cone
25 bench

Pro Day results are often questionable, and these mock pro days even moreso, but in pads he looks close to these. If these are close to legit, athletically he's a Zach Baun clone.

6'2" 238
4.65 40
4.31 shuttle
7.00 3 cone
24 bench

Interesting, and I really like Baun as an ILB prospect. One of the guys I thought Gutes should target. And honestly I always say 40 time is way over rated for ILB, its about angles and change of direction and side to side movement. Those shuttle and 3 cone times are damn good.

run pMc
10-08-2020, 09:24 AM
Erik Kendricks measured just over 6'0", 232 with a 4.61 40, 38" vert, 10'4" broad, 19 bench at the combine
with a 4.14 SS, 7.14 3cone at his pro day.

He's undersized too but has made a good career even if he's starting to break down a little.

Agree that virtual Pro days are suspect, but it's clear from how he's ascended up the chart that he can play a role. Instincts and reaction speed are really important for ILB. I think when Kirksey and Kamal are back they will start and Barnes subs in a lot.
I think Burks is done in GB when his contract ends...he's an expensive core ST player. Summers will be the #4.

I think Barnes' play made Bolton expendable.

Joemailman
10-09-2020, 08:26 AM
Barnes makes PFF's first quarter all-rookie team.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/08/packers-lb-krys-barnes-named-to-pffs-quarter-season-all-rookie-team/

Linebacker Krys Barnes, an undrafted free agent from UCLA, is receiving national recognition after emerging as a surprise starter for Mike Pettine’s defense. Pro Football Focus, who grades every player on every play of every game, named Barnes to the site’s All-Rookie Team after four games. According to PFF, Barnes has seven stops – or a tackle constituting a failure for the offense – and zero missed tackles over 85 snaps.

Overall, he’s the site’s second-highest graded rookie linebacker among players with at least 25 snaps played.

Amazingly, Barnes wasn’t even on the Packers’ initial 53-man roster. GM Brian Gutekunst added him to the active roster on the Saturday before the Packers’ season-opener against the Minnesota Vikings, and then Pettine shocked many by started him at linebacker next Christian Kirksey.

Gute may have his ILB duo for the next several years once Kamal Martin gets healthy, and will have used only 1 5th round pick to do it.

RashanGary
10-09-2020, 09:07 AM
Looking at those numbers, he's just athletic enough to be considered a high upside player. He's looked, already, in flashes, more impactful than Martinez. Kamal Martin is another one who has a chance. We might have lucked into a situation like 2010 when we had the rookie udfa, shields, play legitimate football in his rookie year and help put us over the top.

Sparkey
10-09-2020, 07:59 PM
The only other ilb on the pff first qrtr all rookie team is Patrick Queen.

I wasn't completely sold on Barnes, but the play against ATL where he bit on the play take, flipped his hips and dropped back into zone and nearly picked off the pass sold me on the physical abilities and instincts. He should only improve the more he plays.

bobblehead
10-10-2020, 10:44 AM

I wasn't completely sold on Barnes, but the play against ATL where he bit on the play take, flipped his hips and dropped back into zone and nearly picked off the pass sold me on the physical abilities and instincts. He should only improve the more he plays.

Wait...that means the guy I said I would have drafted beat out the guy Brandon would have drafted. COME BACK CLOWN SHOES!! We have so much left to mock you about.

Sparkey
10-10-2020, 12:42 PM
Wait...that means the guy I said I would have drafted beat out the guy Brandon would have drafted. COME BACK CLOWN SHOES!! We have so much left to mock you about.
:knll::glug:

run pMc
10-11-2020, 06:13 PM

Yeah I went back and watched part of the ATL game and thought he showed some good things for a rookie. I think he'll be a solid player and maybe that's it, but even if that's the case that's a great find for a UDFA rookie. That he got the start and shares the dot with Summers says something about how well he's picked things up.

I'm on the bandwagon.

run pMc
10-11-2020, 06:20 PM

Jordyn Brooks, wasn't it? Out with an MCL sprain after mostly playing ST so far. Seachickens kicking the tires on Mychal Kendricks, which would push Brooks farther down the chart.

Didn't Patrick Queen get benched during one game? I liked him at LSU but all these 6'0" ILBs make me think they are basically chase-and-hit types, and if a OL gets on them they're done (Kamal Martin goes about 6'3" with 34" arms). Hell, if Malik Taylor at 6'2" 220 gets a block on them they will have a fight. I suppose that's still better than playing a safety at ILB.

RashanGary
10-11-2020, 07:32 PM
Uh oh seahags. If they lose to Minny and we beat SF, it’s a two game lead cuz of common opponent tie breaker

Upnorth
10-14-2020, 10:12 AM
Thought this belinged in here.
https://www.packers.com/news/undrafted-krys-barnes-making-the-most-out-of-unusual-rookie-year
One thing that stand out is no missed tackles. That feels very unpacker like to me especially when thinking back to the saints game.

bobblehead
10-20-2020, 12:14 PM
Bump. He was the only positive in this game. We found a gem UDFA.

Joemailman
10-20-2020, 12:23 PM
Bump. He was the only positive in this game. We found a gem UDFA.

Yep. He is the anti-Burks. Quick because he in instinctive.