PDA

View Full Version : THE LAURELS OF FUCKDOGGERY: 2020 Weekly Barnabus Fuckdoggle Award Thread

smuggler
09-15-2020, 09:36 PM
The Packers have a knack for having unheralded players step up and play well when it matters most and it is fucking INFURIATING. I would like the loss of a star player to crush them. But NO… no, they always have some asshole behind him ready to go because they’re committed to internal player development because they’re so goddamn PERFECT. Bah! I want scrubs to be SCRUBS. I want to be able to laugh at a rival team for having to put Barney Fuckdoggle in at corner or whatever. It’s a real let-down when Barney turns into a hidden gem, and Collinsworth is like, “You know, Al. I think I really LIKE this Fuckdoggle guy!” That never happens with my team. With my team, the shitty players are shitty.

Our guy Magary coined the nickname "Barney Fuckdoggle" in a 2015 article he posted on Deadspin (https://deadspin.com/is-playing-quarterback-too-hard-1732774349) after the Packers defeated the Chiefs at Lambeau. Inside linebacker Joe Thomas (now on the Cowboys) was the first recipient of the award, after he recorded a sack and played well in 38 snaps in his first significant playing time of his career.

This week we have a few candidates for players that can be immortalized in the laurels of Fuckdoggery. I propose Krys Barnes and Jon Runyan as the two best candidates. Perhaps Barnes is the better choice, in a smaller body of work, because he went undrafted. Runyan, at least, was a 6th round pick, but he played the remainder of the game after coming in off the bench.

What say you, rats?

George Cumby
09-15-2020, 09:46 PM
I didn't see enough of the game but I am glad to see the Fuckdoggle get fished out of the Dispose-All.

Carry on.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2020, 11:22 PM
Has to be Barnes

RashanGary
09-15-2020, 11:46 PM
Barnes. Obscurity for sure

Patler
09-15-2020, 11:57 PM
Barnes got there an odd way, but he didn't really replace anyone. He apparently won the starting job. Martin probably would have had the position, but he has been gone a coupe weeks. Barnes beat out Burks, Summers, etc.

On the other hand, Runyan got in only because three guys ahead of him were injured.

Give it to Runyan.

Guiness
09-15-2020, 11:59 PM
Barnes with a classic Fuckdoggle play blowing up that screen to Cook!

(saw a clip of it but it's gone)

edit: dude was waived, signed to practice squad, then back to roster!

MadScientist
09-16-2020, 01:52 AM
Barnes with a classic Fuckdoggle play blowing up that screen to Cook!

(saw a clip of it but it's gone)

edit: dude was waived, signed to practice squad, then back to roster!

That just screams Fuckdoggle.

run pMc
09-16-2020, 08:48 AM
I'm with Patler. Runyan played RG off the bench when he mostly practiced at LG in camp, and held his own. Offense kept right on humming with him. That's stepping in and and stepping up.
I'd put Barnes in 2nd place. If it weren't for Runyan he'd get it. He had that nice play on the TFL and the game didn't seem too big for him. Joe Thomas-esque.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2020, 09:30 AM
Barnes was cut and added to the practice squad. 31 teams could have signed him. He obviously wasn't penciled into the starting lineup until late in the week. Otherwise, they wouldn't have subjected him to waivers. Besides, I think the Fuckdoggle goes to an obscure player doing the best (not with how they got there), and that has to be Barnes.

Fosco33
09-16-2020, 09:55 AM
It might be Barnes as BF2020 annual winner

Patler
09-16-2020, 12:43 PM
Barnes starting just showed the lack of talent at the position. He didn't really replace anyone. He just won the job in a very odd way.

Runyan played only because of an injury, after an injury, after an injury. Three of them. His play demonstrated their depth. Isn't this what the Fuckdoggle is all about?

hoosier
09-16-2020, 12:53 PM
The beauty of the Fuckdoggle seems to reside in its simplicity, but this thread brings out an interesting complexity. Is the Fuckdoggle an homage to depth or to coming out of obscurity and making something of yourself? Or is it both? If both, then maybe we have two meritorious candidates. But then there's an additional layer of complexity: Runyan, through no fault of his own, is already a known entity, national recognition. Barnes, nobody has ever heard of him before. I even had to scroll back up to remember his name when writing the previous sentence. So can an accident of birth damage your Fuckdoggle chances, or is the Fuckdoggle an equal opportunity award?

George Cumby
09-16-2020, 01:12 PM
If we return to the source material:

"...I would like the loss of a star player to crush them. But NO… no, they always have some asshole behind him ready to go..."

Which should be canon, Runyan is the Week 1 Fuckdoggle.

Upnorth
09-16-2020, 01:27 PM
What is obscure about runyon. Everyone thought he would be at least ok and would play at some point.

Barnes for fd!!!

Upnorth
09-16-2020, 01:28 PM
Plus Barnes is the closest to barnabus we will get. It almost too perfect when you take your snoopy colored glasses off

Guiness
09-16-2020, 01:33 PM
Barnes starting just showed the lack of talent at the position. He didn't really replace anyone. He just won the job in a very odd way.

Runyan played only because of an injury, after an injury, after an injury. Three of them. His play demonstrated their depth. Isn't this what the Fuckdoggle is all about?

What's the third injury? Taylor and Patric, or are you counting Turner?

Wouldn't that be something if Runyan morphed into a solid starting guard? Him and Jenkins could be there a long time.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2020, 01:49 PM

Wouldn't that be something if Runyan morphed into a solid starting guard? Him and Jenkins could be there a long time.

If you count Taylor, don't you have to count Martin (projected starter) and maybe Burks (projected ahead of him, but injuries in camp set him back) and Bolton?

This was the news coming out of Packers camp in the week leading up to the game:

Burks is dealing with a groin injury and was a limited participant during Wednesday's practice, Matt Schneidman of The Athletic reports.

Burks was dealing with an undisclosed issue that was keeping him out of training camp, but, as evidenced by this news, he had his injury clarified.

Maybe they thought Burks would be ready (why they cut Barnes to begin with), but later in the week realized he wouldn't be ready for full-time action (so they called up Barnes)?

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2020, 01:52 PM
I lean towards a player coming out of obscurity to shine. If it's based on replacing an injured guy, is it just replacing a guy injured in a game?

wist43
09-16-2020, 02:23 PM
If you count Taylor, don't you have to count Martin (projected starter) and maybe Burks (projected ahead of him, but injuries in camp set him back) and Bolton?

This was the news coming out of Packers camp in the week leading up to the game:

Maybe they thought Burks would be ready (why they cut Barnes to begin with), but later in the week realized he wouldn't be ready for full-time action (so they called up Barnes)?

I went thru the Minn tape... Barnes is a better football player than Burks will ever be.

Cut Burks and be done with it.

Guiness
09-16-2020, 03:30 PM
I lean towards a player coming out of obscurity to shine. If it's based on replacing an injured guy, is it just replacing a guy injured in a game?

Nah, I'd say replacing an injury mid-game is part of the award. Guy goes down, announcers say how important that guy is and how much the pass potection/pass rush/run defense etc is going to suffer, and some fuckdoggle comes off the bench and plays lights out!

I'm leaning towards co-winners here :-)

bobblehead
09-16-2020, 05:59 PM
Barnes in a landslide. I am a packer junkie and I didn't even know who he was coming into the game.

wist43
09-16-2020, 07:26 PM
Barnes was cut and added to the practice squad. 31 teams could have signed him. He obviously wasn't penciled into the starting lineup until late in the week. Otherwise, they wouldn't have subjected him to waivers. Besides, I think the Fuckdoggle goes to an obscure player doing the best (not with how they got there), and that has to be Barnes.

I went back and looked at some of his college tape - based on what saw, he should have been drafted. Perhaps he wasn't drafted b/c of combine measurables?? 40, vertical, 3-cone, etc.

He shows excellent instincts, takes good angles, wraps up... everything Burks can't do.

Burks looked like a 1st round choice at the combine, but really shouldn't have even been drafted based on his tape.

Joemailman
09-16-2020, 07:44 PM
I went back and looked at some of his college tape - based on what saw, he should have been drafted. Perhaps he wasn't drafted b/c of combine measurables?? 40, vertical, 3-cone, etc.

He shows excellent instincts, takes good angles, wraps up... everything Burks can't do.

Burks looked like a 1st round choice at the combine, but really shouldn't have even been drafted based on his tape.

Barnes wasn't even invited to the Combine. Seems like a strange oversight to me since he was a good player coming out of UCLA. Then due to Covid UCLA's pro day was cancelled. Guess he flew under the radar. He's a bit undersized, but actually not much lighter than a guy like Kirksey.

Patler
09-16-2020, 08:35 PM

Yup, Turner. They listed him as a starter. When he went down, to start the best available 5, they moved Jenkins to tackle and inserted Patrick at guard. When Patrick went out, the answer wasn't to insert Runyan at the position he practiced, the best 5 moved Jenkins back to guard, and inserted Wagner at tackle. Only when Taylor went out did Runyan come in, and at the opposite side from where he had practiced. Runyan was their #4 guard, #8 lineman for that game, and needed three injuries to get in.

wist43
09-16-2020, 09:31 PM
Barnes wasn't even invited to the Combine. Seems like a strange oversight to me since he was a good player coming out of UCLA. Then due to Covid UCLA's pro day was cancelled. Guess he flew under the radar. He's a bit undersized, but actually not much lighter than a guy like Kirksey.

Tried to look up his pro day numbers, but couldn't find 'em... I'm assuming he must have run at his pro day.

Nevertheless, everyone must have assumed he wasn't athlete enough. Every indication to me says the kid can play.

Hoping they don't try to stick Burks back in the there... he's a huge liability.

wist43
09-16-2020, 09:35 PM

I hadn't looked on YouTube... found this.

https://youtu.be/OI3pTucolOc

RashanGary
09-16-2020, 10:23 PM

Credit wist, I have no clue how to gauge linebackers. QB's, I can see the confidence and command and arm and accuracy. I have no clue what the linebacker is supposed to do, or how quick he's supposed to be able to make a decision, but you're damn close to right-on with your assessment over the years. Teach me.the ways mr miagi

Joemailman
09-16-2020, 10:54 PM
Instinct is everything for an ILB. You're so close to the line and you have to be able to process things quickly. As for that video, the 40 time is mediocre for a LB. But the 3-cone is pretty good, and the 25 reps on the bench is outstanding.

Aaron Jones was the 19th RB taken in the 2017 draft. His 40 time was just average for a RB. It's his vision, instinct and attitude that make him great.

RashanGary
09-16-2020, 11:43 PM
Instinct is everything for an ILB. You're so close to the line and you have to be able to process things quickly. As for that video, the 40 time is mediocre for a LB. But the 3-cone is pretty good, and the 25 reps on the bench is outstanding.

Aaron Jones was the 19th RB taken in the 2017 draft. His 40 time was just average for a RB. It's his vision, instinct and attitude that make him great.

Welcome back, Joe! For sure! I have no clue the assignment, so as I watch, I have no clue if he's doing what he's supposed to do or not, or when he's supposed to trigger

Upnorth
09-17-2020, 08:40 AM
After the draft I expected runyon to be our rg in year two or three. After Barnes was drafted I expected him to fight thexlollipop guild because he was on no one's radar. Barnabus fuckdoggle should go to our killer b krys Barnes.

Seriously though dude has potential and I want to see him this week

George Cumby
09-17-2020, 08:42 AM

Combine vs. Game Speed/Tape.

bobblehead
09-17-2020, 11:07 AM
Credit wist, I have no clue how to gauge linebackers. QB's, I can see the confidence and command and arm and accuracy. I have no clue what the linebacker is supposed to do, or how quick he's supposed to be able to make a decision, but you're damn close to right-on with your assessment over the years. Teach me.the ways mr miagi

I do. His SS and 3 Cone times were good. More important than a 40 for ILB. More important than that is instincts. I didn't watch college tape, but his instincts are good from the limited play I watched. ILB requires fast diagnosis, good angles and quick change of direction. He seems to have all that. That being said, I am not sold after such a limited showing, but there is no reason to state emphatically that he can't play, and many reasons to believe he can.

bobblehead
09-17-2020, 11:08 AM

Yea...basically this.

smuggler
09-28-2020, 10:29 AM
There weren't any true candidates in week two, but against the Saints, perhaps Ty Summers deserves a Fuckdoggle shoutout. He was forced into action by the Kirksey injury and donned the green dot helmet for the defense, finishing with 9 tackles. He had one nice play in the flat tackling Kamara, but mostly had a nondescript game. Lazard went undrafted and had a huge game. But he's already established in the offense, so maybe it would be disingenuous to award him a Fuckdoggle. What say you, rats?

Vincenzo
09-28-2020, 10:39 AM
There weren't any true candidates in week two, but against the Saints, perhaps Ty Summers deserves a Fuckdoggle shoutout. He was forced into action by the Kirksey injury and donned the green dot helmet for the defense, finishing with 9 tackles. He had one nice play in the flat tackling Kamara, but mostly had a nondescript game. Lazard went undrafted and had a huge game. But he's already established in the offense, so maybe it would be disingenuous to award him a Fuckdoggle. What say you, rats?
When Summers made that tackle you’re speaking of, I immediately thought of that frustrated Vikings fan you quoted......” That never happens with my team. With my team, the shitty players are shitty.”

smuggler
09-28-2020, 10:41 AM
When Summers made that tackle you’re speaking of, I immediately thought of that frustrated Vikings fan you quoted.

It gives me the warm and fuzzy to think of that Vikes fan suffering because our team develops players like Summers.

HarveyWallbangers
09-28-2020, 10:49 AM
Probably Summers, but maybe Keke?

George Cumby
09-28-2020, 10:53 AM
I saw Summers flailing about. IDK if his performance was good enough for the Fuckdoggle, but I wouldn't protest too much, either.

Joemailman
09-28-2020, 10:54 AM
Summers is a 7th round pick who had to come off the bench unexpectedly. He's got my vote.

CaptainKickass
09-28-2020, 10:55 AM
For me it was Billy Winn. Elevated from the practice squad just for this game.

I realize he's a veteran player but I was all "who?" when he signed to the practice squad and then later I was all "Oh yeah, forgot about him" when he made that play.

Veteran Billy Winn played in his first NFL game in nearly four years and had a deflected pass at the line of scrimmage to show for his efforts.
- packers.com

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_actionshot_desktop/f_auto/packers/p8qvqisyjwo2lsza24oe

#93 did a good thing.

George Cumby
09-28-2020, 11:10 AM
Summers is a 7th round pick who had to come off the bench unexpectedly. He's got my vote.

Yeah, I guess one doesn't really expect a seventh rounder to make the team let alone produce, even sporadically against a really good team.

bobblehead
09-28-2020, 01:02 PM
Probably Summers, but maybe Keke?

Its hard to give real props to anyone on D, but they did enough in the 4th Quarter. Both of these fuckdoggles deserve some consideration though.

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2020, 02:41 PM
Without a preseason it's kind of hard to tell a fuck from a doggle.

It seems like there hasn't been a huge amount of turnover on the roster compared to recent years. I like that.
Still, I'm having trouble picking out the outstanding new players on defense. It will take a few more games.

ps. MN seems to have had a lot more turnover

Fritz
09-28-2020, 03:49 PM
The beauty of the Fuckdoggle seems to reside in its simplicity, but this thread brings out an interesting complexity. Is the Fuckdoggle an homage to depth or to coming out of obscurity and making something of yourself? Or is it both? If both, then maybe we have two meritorious candidates. But then there's an additional layer of complexity: Runyan, through no fault of his own, is already a known entity, national recognition. Barnes, nobody has ever heard of him before. I even had to scroll back up to remember his name when writing the previous sentence. So can an accident of birth damage your Fuckdoggle chances, or is the Fuckdoggle an equal opportunity award?

When Chester Marcol caught his own blocked kick and scored a touchdown, was that the ultimate fuckdoggle?

hoosier
09-29-2020, 09:12 PM
When Chester Marcol caught his own blocked kick and scored a touchdown, was that the ultimate fuckdoggle?

I think that was a Duckfoggle: backasswards. But Bart cut his ass a month after that Bears game, reportedly because he was bringing too much blow into the locker room, so maybe it was a fuckdoggle.

But I think Marcol's real fuckdoggle moment was post retirement when he survived his self-administered cocktail of vodka, battery acid and warfarin. I don't think he really understood how warfarin works, by the way, but that doesn't make the survival story any less dramatic.

Fritz
09-30-2020, 02:44 PM
I think that was a Duckfoggle: backasswards. But Bart cut his ass a month after that Bears game, reportedly because he was bringing too much blow into the locker room, so maybe it was a fuckdoggle.

But I think Marcol's real fuckdoggle moment was post retirement when he survived his self-administered cocktail of vodka, battery acid and warfarin. I don't think he really understood how warfarin works, by the way, but that doesn't make the survival story any less dramatic.

"Gosh darn it, Chester, you know the rules: no more than two lines per player in the locker room. You're out of here!"

run pMc
10-01-2020, 09:34 AM
I don't think there's really been a fuckdoggle the last two games. These young drafted guys have to produce eventually, and it's not like we didn't see them before.
Barnes pretty much came out of nowhere.

Guiness
10-01-2020, 12:06 PM
his first NFL game in nearly four years

Really? Wow
Wikipedia says he played in '16, tore his ACL during a preaseason game in '17, out of football in '18 and IR'd with a triceps injury in '19. Oh, ended up on IR in late in the '15 season as well!

RashanGary
10-01-2020, 01:50 PM
Barnes, chandon, lazard, big bob, Lucas Patrick

Our top undrafted guys right now. It's a pretty strong scrap heap compilation.

Joemailman
10-01-2020, 05:56 PM
Malik Taylor. Darrius Shepherd. This is your big chance.

Joemailman
10-25-2020, 03:06 PM
I mean, how many had even heard of Henry Black?

smuggler
10-25-2020, 11:22 PM
He's a BBD. Big Black 'Doggle.

CaptainKickass
10-26-2020, 09:48 AM
I mean, how many had even heard of Henry Black?

I had heard of him only because I saw his name added to the roster, but that was it. Hands down this weeks Fuckdoggle in my opinion. Out of nowhere a game changing play was made and I was all "Wait. Who the hell is that?"

Joemailman
01-03-2021, 07:42 PM
Dominique Daffney - Undrafted guy who played at 3 different colleges. Signed to practice squad in October. Added to roster in December. Scores 1st TD as Packers clinch #1 seed. Ultimate Fuckdoggle.

George Cumby
01-03-2021, 07:49 PM
Agreed.

KYPack
01-03-2021, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Fuckdoggle indeed. I loved his TD play. The Bears didn't know who he was and neither did I. I've gone from hating our TE room last year to loving it w/ Marcedes, Big Bob with the breakthru year, and this kid. Jace S has got to be looking over his shoulder.

RashanGary
01-03-2021, 10:07 PM
Of Stergberger can learn pass pro he’ll be fine. But to put a guy on the field who runs 4.7 and pass protects worse than Lazard who runs 4.5..... why? Just why?

If you’re a TE and a clear downgrade receiving from a WR then you better be able to do tight end things. Stergberger can’t. Period.

Zool
01-04-2021, 03:44 PM
Sturgeon is an injury waiting to happen. They are going to lose patience early with all the other options.

RashanGary
01-04-2021, 04:06 PM
Less fuckdoggles in the lucky lafleur injury era

RashanGary
01-04-2021, 04:08 PM
McCarthy was good for 14 IR players per year and 7 additional injury inactives every week. Fuckdoggles were a real thing back then

Guiness
01-04-2021, 10:36 PM
Dominique Daffney - Undrafted guy who played at 3 different colleges. Signed to practice squad in October. Added to roster in December. Scores 1st TD as Packers clinch #1 seed. Ultimate Fuckdoggle.

Loved the catch, but coming down the field and absolutely creaming Cordarelle on the kick return, the very next play, was the real cherry on top!

smuggler
01-05-2021, 05:29 AM
Loved the catch, but coming down the field and absolutely creaming Cordarelle on the kick return, the very next play, was the real cherry on top!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezawPHPKs9M