PDA

View Full Version : Jaire’s big sack.... was it a smart play? And savages TD mistake?

RashanGary
09-17-2020, 07:13 PM
I was very curious to hear what the coaches would say. When you make a move like that, you’re abandoning your spot on the field and leaving open the possibility of a really bad play.

My hunch was jaire had underneath responsibility on theilen and it was a good decision. Worst case would be him having deep responsibility and the defense getting burned for a 97 yard touchdown.

Turns out, according to pettine, Jaire had a flat responsibility. I’m assuming it was a cover 3 look with King and the two safeties each having a Deep responsibility and jaire being the outside flat responsibility on his side. That sort of cloud coverage is used a lot against trips looks like that.

But regardless of the other 10 guys jobs, pettine didn’t get into the whole play, pettine did say that was a good risk. Jaire abandoned a short zone to attack what he thought was a run play. Low risk, high reward is the way pettine described it. Signs of a very smart player.

On the TD Jaire gave up, pettine said jaires #1 job was to not get beat deep. That one was Jaire being confident in his ability to play up and still defend the whole field and the Vikings put one on him. Pettine called that one a learning opportunity.

Savage, I thought savage should have played to prevent the deep ball first, but pettine said he credited Minnesota more than he knocked savage because he was all alone in such a big amount of space and minny called the perfect play to make it hard on #26. I was worried Savage was getting too cocky, but pettine put a kabosh on that thinking.

After hearing coach talk, some of my worries about over reckless secondary play are allieved. I’m ok with jaires one over aggressive play he got beat on cuz he’s 23 years old and can grow out of that.

texaspackerbacker
09-17-2020, 08:27 PM
If you're correct about the 3 depp coverage, then probably the worst would have been to give up a first down pass. I'd say at that spot on the field, it was a gamble worth taking. A three-deep with the most skilled player not back deep, I would think, sort of encourages that DB to be a little bit innovative.

As for the other Jaire play, it seems like that happened a few times last season too - his over-estimating his coverage ability. There's a fine line between confidence and recklessness. The kid is damn good, but he needs to be coached up or slapped down a bit to realize where that line is. I don't think it's the kind of thing you just grow out of.

As for Savage, he is supposed to have elite speed, yet he got beat by speed moves, and I think it happened more than once. With limited time to work on things before that game, maybe he took some wrong angles, maybe Sullivan just kinda disappeared, whatever. I said that is something they need to figure out if they're gonna play a prevent or whatever you'd call it. You said, I think, and I agree, that Stafford is better than Cousins. Golladay might be as good or better than Thielen too. Especially if Clark can't play and we need an extra man in the box, our DBs better get their shit together.

We could, of course, just outscore them, but that gets stressful sometimes.

GB-Brandon
09-17-2020, 08:44 PM
All the picks and all the $ and the front 7 of this defense is still soft as butter. They will get ran the fuck over by the likes of a Tennessee or San Fran Team!! The secondary is supposed to be the strength and they have poured massive resources into it yet they don’t have their shit together. I suppose you can give them a semi-pass week 1 with the irregular pre-season. Still, if Savage continues to struggle it will be yet another eye sore for Gute as he dropped his pants to get him.

I said before the season that a KC injury would be catastrophic and now we shall see.

GB-Brandon
09-17-2020, 08:56 PM
Here comes “Team Northwestern”!!!!!!!!!!!

What a roster!!!!! :glug:

GB-Brandon
09-17-2020, 09:09 PM
Is Preston Smith gonna show up to the game this weekend?

Joemailman
09-17-2020, 10:10 PM
Whatever the reason, letting opponent receivers get open deep when you're in prevent must not happen. That has to stop. Fortunately in this case, the Packers wide receivers kept making plays so it didn't put the Packers in serious trouble.

Patler
09-18-2020, 09:49 AM
Alexander's sack was a heads up play following a mistake. He explained it this way. He initially read the alignment as run, and cheated forward a bit as he became more convinced it was a run. When he realized his mistake, he thought he would not be able to get back in time anyway, so he felt his best opportunity to prevent a pass to his responsibility was to rush and disrupt the timing.

That's a heads up play.

George Cumby
09-18-2020, 10:14 AM
Can we say he was thinking fast on his feet?

bobblehead
09-18-2020, 11:39 AM
Alexander's sack was a heads up play following a mistake. He explained it this way. He initially read the alignment as run, and cheated forward a bit as he became more convinced it was a run. When he realized his mistake, he thought he would not be able to get back in time anyway, so he felt his best opportunity to prevent a pass to his responsibility was to rush and disrupt the timing.

That's a heads up play.

It was a mistake overcome by his amazing speed. Heads up? I doubt it. He can say whatever he wants in postgame, I am 100% sure that in that moment a 4 letter word slipped out as he figured he screwed up big time. If Cousins had read it, it could have been a 40 yard gain no matter how Pettine wants to play it now.

Patler
09-18-2020, 12:05 PM
It was a mistake overcome by his amazing speed. Heads up? I doubt it. He can say whatever he wants in postgame, I am 100% sure that in that moment a 4 letter word slipped out as he figured he screwed up big time. If Cousins had read it, it could have been a 40 yard gain no matter how Pettine wants to play it now.

Athletes make mistakes all the time. Good athletes instinctively know how to make the best of bad situations. Alexander probably wasn't thinking "sack" at the time, just get in and disrupt the player however he could. Could it have gone wrong? Of course, but trying to recover in coverage and being caught far out of position would have almost guaranteed a successful Viking's play, absent an unforced error by them. Alexander astutely responded to his mistake in a way in which he could, and did impact the play. He compensated for his mistake instead of compounding it.

RashanGary
09-18-2020, 12:30 PM

That's a heads up play.

Just using jaires explanation this would be as complete of a description as a person could come up with. When he made that decision, I was wondering what the risk was. Was he giving up a deep responsniltu where cousins could lob up a bomb and exploit or was he abandoning a less meaningful position on the field. Turns out he was abandoning a short zone, a lower risk to go after a much larger reward. Pettine talks a lot about being smart about which risks to take. He says giving up the big play is the biggest risk and giving up short plays is lesser risk and hed rather see guys take lesser risks to get big rewards. It sounds like jaire made a low risk move with a high reward outcome. Exactly the way it's coached. Do you see the difference?

RashanGary
09-18-2020, 12:32 PM
Pettine also says, if you're gonna take your shot, take it at 100 mph because half assed shots are useless. Jaire did it exactly the way pettine coaches. He had a short zone, so the risk was low. And he shot his shot at 100 mph, exactly the way it's coached.

RashanGary
09-18-2020, 12:36 PM
Jaire is starting to look like a guy who understands the subtleties of when to shoot his shot and when to be disciplined. There are guys who take risks and give up bombs. And there are guys who never take risks and don't make plays. Jaire knows when to take shots and when to be disciplined. He has HOF potential with that being a part of his already impressive skillset.

GB-Brandon
09-18-2020, 12:53 PM
Pettine also says, if you're gonna take your shot, take it at 100 mph because half assed shots are useless. Jaire did it exactly the way pettine coaches. He had a short zone, so the risk was low. And he shot his shot at 100 mph, exactly the way it's coached.

Your still listening to what Mike Pettine says?