PDA

View Full Version : Packers defense discussion thread

RashanGary
09-18-2020, 05:54 PM
One of the guys I follow on twitter watches every player on every play using the all 11 on game pass. He said savage was a guided missile.

I was a little worried cuz my TV impression was that savage was invisible. Glad to hear otherwise.

Sparkey
09-18-2020, 06:04 PM
My general belief is that if you don't here about someone during a game, he is probably playing smart, solid defense. Maybe no splash but no bone head plays either.

I am looking forward to see Kirksey and Barnes play again.

George Cumby
09-18-2020, 09:50 PM
Some Packers fan called into 'Moving the Chains' with Kirwan and Miller, whinging about all the points given up in the fourth quarter.

Kirwan and Miller were all "WTF are you complaining about? They were up 29-10 at the end of the third and played prevent the entire fourth, give it a break."

Miller even had it on rewind, or something, was scrolling through, 'prevent, prevent, prevent, who the fuck cares with that lead?"

GB-Brandon
09-18-2020, 10:11 PM
Some Packers fan called into 'Moving the Chains' with Kirwan and Miller, whinging about all the points given up in the fourth quarter.

Kirwan and Miller were all "WTF are you complaining about? They were up 29-10 at the end of the third and played prevent the entire fourth, give it a break
Miller even had it on rewind, or something, was scrolling through, 'prevent, prevent, prevent, who the fuck cares with that lead?"

Well i remember being at a Packer game where the defense blew a 12 point lead in 3 minutes and 52 seconds that took me some time to recover from.

A defense that can completely collapse is always a concern!!!

Patler
09-19-2020, 02:27 AM

Kirwan and Miller were all "WTF are you complaining about? They were up 29-10 at the end of the third and played prevent the entire fourth, give it a break."

I could buy that reasoning, except for the simple fact that the prevent defense failed at precisely what it is designed to do. A prevent defense is intended to prevent quick scores. Make the opponent use a lot of the game clock, even if they do score.

The Vikings 4th quarter scoring drives:

4 plays, 77 yards, 1:16
7 plays, 65 yards, 2:07
9 plays, 75 yards, 1:58

3 Touchdowns; 20 plays; 217 yards; just 5 minutes, 21 seconds of game clock used.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-19-2020, 03:27 AM
I could buy that reasoning, except for the simple fact that the prevent defense failed at precisely what it is designed to do. A prevent defense is intended to prevent quick scores. Make the opponent use a lot of the game clock, even if they do score.

3 Touchdowns; 20 plays; 217 yards; just 5 minutes, 21 seconds of game clock used.

Oh mother of irony, Crumby has been SHAMROCKED!

(Fact: At the birth of this site, ole Patler went by the name “ShamrockFan69.”)

I remain the only one who has never been “Patlerized” or “Shamrocked.” Back in them glorious JSO days, Patler arrogantly argued that it was impossible for the Packers to retain Wahle, Rivera and D-Sharp. Patler was “tanked” after I flawlessly - with math - debunked his argument.

GB-Brandon
09-19-2020, 08:59 AM
It’s not some big, nasty & mean shut down defense. Never really has been and won’t be until they build a dominant front seven that can control and dominate the line of scrimmage. It’s “Mickey Mouse” with “Smoke & Mirror” schemes that lines Z up at nose tackle even on a run down that tries to win on confusion and error.

I’m not against having good DB’s but have always been a proponent of “Never Leaving The Game In The Hands of DB’s” and that’s coming from a DB. The “Unless” would be the case where you have a HOF’er in Charles Woodson and another guy who I believe could of been a HOF’er in Nick Collins. The Packers simply don’t have that type of play in the secondary right now.

So that circles us back around to the front seven and the Packers front office not filling the defense out on the front seven and completing what they started. This is what I constantly talk about and mean when I talk about the “Scattered Vision” of the front office and the dysfunction.

GB-Brandon
09-19-2020, 09:35 AM
A lot of people wanted Jeffery Simmons(I sure did). You take Simmons instead of Gary and it’s not even hard to wonder why we didn’t.

Both Jordyn Brooks and Queen played well in their first games as rookies. Both are way more talented then UDFA Barnes but we’d still have Barnes too.

You draft another DL in 3rd-4th this year past draft as well. You still have K. Martin in the 5th too.

Savage should of never been drafted and certainly not traded up for. We could of gotten another safety and a WR instead with all the resources used. Hated the pick then and still Now. Especially with all the WR talent that was on the board. Huge Mistake!!! Juan Thornhill would of been just fine.

But the Fans are so Stupid and Gute is such a Genius!!!!

George Cumby
09-19-2020, 09:37 AM

And that's a solid point which is well taken, as is Brandon's.

So what if the defense hadn't gone to prevent and kept doing what they had been doing the first three quarters? How do you think that would have changed the outcome?

Also, the teams were just trading scores through the fourth, the Packers were almost scoring at will, no?

KYPack
09-19-2020, 10:02 AM

I remain the only one who has never been “Patlerized” or “Shamrocked.” Back in them glorious JSO days, Patler arrogantly argued that it was impossible for the Packers to retain Wahle, Rivera and D-Sharp. Patler was “tanked” after I flawlessly - with math - debunked his argument.

Of the four score or so that have been "Patlerized" in the past, you do have one distinction. (But not the one your think you have)

You are the only dumb bastard that Patler has shredded, but still doesn't understand what he meant.

Tank not only tries to beat a dead horse, he's so goofy that he tries to ride it!

GB-Brandon
09-19-2020, 10:15 AM
And that's a solid point which is well taken, as is Brandon's.

So what if the defense hadn't gone to prevent and kept doing what they had been doing the first three quarters? How do you think that would have changed the outcome?

Also, the teams were just trading scores through the fourth, the Packers were almost scoring at will, no?

This is where I give LaFleur credit for keeping the foot on the gas. A MM team might of got too conservative and started clock watching.

bobblehead
09-19-2020, 10:21 AM

Which is why I hate prevent defense. Playing soft does prevent "big" plays, but it prevents nothing else of consequence. The time involved in those scoring drives is what matters, and whats worse is once a player shifts to prevent mindset, its near impossible to flip back to attack defense.

Although Flower has revamped the offense in the image I like, its time for the disciples of fat Mike to be gone. We need an attacking D coordinator out of the Vic Fangio mindset.

In other news Gary lead the team in pressures sunday.

bobblehead
09-19-2020, 10:23 AM

Everyone on this site has been shamrocked a couple times, including ole shamrock himself. But your reference to the shamrock instead of Patlerized is why you remain a fun poster despite your many and obvious flaws. Well played.

bobblehead
09-19-2020, 10:28 AM
A lot of people wanted Jeffery Simmons(I sure did). You take Simmons instead of Gary and it’s not even hard to wonder why we didn’t.

Both Jordyn Brooks and Queen played well in their first games as rookies. Both are way more talented then UDFA Barnes but we’d still have Barnes too.

You draft another DL in 3rd-4th this year past draft as well. You still have K. Martin in the 5th too.

Savage should of never been drafted and certainly not traded up for. We could of gotten another safety and a WR instead with all the resources used. Hated the pick then and still Now. Especially with all the WR talent that was on the board. Huge Mistake!!! Juan Thornhill would of been just fine.

But the Fans are so Stupid and Gute is such a Genius!!!!

Probably your best post so far. All pretty much accurate. However, Gary did lead team in pressures sunday and we didn't trade up for him...but Burns or Sweat in a trade back would have been better. However, at the end of the day, results matter and we are now 14-3 in the last 17 regular season games.

The only thing I disagree with you on is your continued mantra that we need to squander more resources at WR when our offense is plenty good to win an Owl.

Fosco33
09-19-2020, 10:28 AM
Which is why I hate prevent defense. Playing soft does prevent "big" plays, but it prevents nothing else of consequence. The time involved in those scoring drives is what matters, and whats worse is once a player shifts to prevent mindset, its near impossible to flip back to attack defense.

Although Flower has revamped the offense in the image I like, its time for the disciples of fat Mike to be gone. We need an attacking D coordinator out of the Vic Fangio mindset.

In other news Gary lead the team in pressures sunday.

Exactly. I’ve never understood prevent. Was it prevent or just bad defense or something else?

bobblehead
09-19-2020, 10:32 AM
Of the four score or so that have been "Patlerized" in the past, you do have one distinction. (But not the one your think you have)

You are the only dumb bastard that Patler has shredded, but still doesn't understand what he meant.

Tank not only tries to beat a dead horse, he's so goofy that he tries to ride it!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d0/6e/11/d06e11f3f5605ae48429ef082b582b09.jpg
Just wanted to feel the power between my legs....YEE HAW!!!

bobblehead
09-19-2020, 10:35 AM
Exactly. I’ve never understood prevent. Was it prevent or just bad defense or something else?

Oh, they were playing prevent. They DBs were on their heels trying to stop big plays instead of playing downhill. "prevent" when in an open field simply opens up gimme 20 yard completions underneath though. A relic of the past that coaches everywhere refuse to put out to pasture.

RashanGary
09-19-2020, 10:45 AM
Oh, they were playing prevent. They DBs were on their heels trying to stop big plays instead of playing downhill. "prevent" when in an open field simply opens up gimme 20 yard completions underneath though. A relic of the past that coaches everywhere refuse to put out to pasture.

There are better options than prevent. Just play defense and make sure the DBs lean a little more on the side of caution.

GB-Brandon
09-19-2020, 10:49 AM
Probably your best post so far. All pretty much accurate. However, Gary did lead team in pressures sunday and we didn't trade up for him...but Burns or Sweat in a trade back would have been better. However, at the end of the day, results matter and we are now 14-3 in the last 17 regular season games.

The only thing I disagree with you on is your continued mantra that we need to squander more resources at WR when our offense is plenty good to win an Owl.

“IF” the Packers made the “Right Moves” and built a top 5 defense I would agree with you that “They Would Have Enough On Offense” with AR12 playing at an Elite level.

However, I don’t believe this defense is anywhere near top 5.

“No Tickey No Watchy”

bobblehead
09-19-2020, 10:50 AM
“IF” the Packers made the “Right Moves” and built a top 5 defense I would agree with you that “They Would Have Enough On Offense” with AR12 playing at an Elite level.

However, I don’t believe this defense is anywhere near top 5.

Then they won't win an Owl. We have seen Rodgers with a top 5 D win an Owl. We have seen Rodgers break a ton of passing records and fall short...more than once.

bobblehead
09-19-2020, 10:51 AM
Remember when Arod went into soldier field and lit the bears up in the NFCC to propel us to the Owl...me either.

GB-Brandon
09-19-2020, 10:58 AM
Nobody is taking about it and probably because it’s only one week but need to keep an eye on Preston Smith. I have friends who live in DC and are die hard skins fans and I’ve heard things about him not showing up for extended periods of time. Something to keep an eye on.

GB-Brandon
09-19-2020, 11:01 AM
Remember when Arod went into soldier field and lit the bears up in the NFCC to propel us to the Owl...me either.

With the No.1 ranked defense in the NFL.

We don’t have that type of defense right now. Not even close!!!!

KYPack
09-19-2020, 11:28 AM

+1000, Bobble

George Cumby
09-19-2020, 12:24 PM

Tank has been........ KYed.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-19-2020, 01:36 PM

Skinny pants made with stretchy/flexible fabrics, something like the pair the chick appears to be wearing, has gotta be the merchants’ greatest innovation since the invention of the wheel.

Biology didn’t bless me with a 6’4” muscular body, so I don’t always look good in said skinny, stretchy pants (or jeans). But they’re pretty comfortable while flipping burgers, which requires a tons of walking and bending. Plus, I no longer have to change into workout cloths after clocking out. Can immediately hit the course and comfortably play a round of disc golf.

Patler
09-19-2020, 03:55 PM

...and once again, you are wrong.

I have never gone by the name "ShamrockFan69".