PDA

View Full Version : JK Scott - Worst punter in the league???

Patler
10-16-2020, 09:19 PM
Scott's averages for both gross and net yardage are dead last in league rankings, or would be if he had enough punts to actually qualify. Through four games, he has punted just 7 times, which is too few to be included in league rankings, but his averages are lower than all those who do qualify.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2020/10/15/green-bay-packers-no-worries-rust-punter-jk-scott/3667526001/

Joemailman
10-16-2020, 09:36 PM
Of his 7 punts, 4 have been downed inside the 20. 1 returned for 14 yards. 1 touchback. With the efficiency of the Packer offense, he hasn't been in a position of needing long booming punts. I think he's been fine, although the risk of becoming rusty is there.

Patler
10-17-2020, 01:25 AM
It is a very small sample, so small that we can easily look at each punt:

1. From GB 41 to MN 19, out of bounds, 40 yards.
2. From GB 48 to Det. 7, out of bounds, 45 yards.
3. From Det. 39 to "0", penalty for blocking after fair catch signal, enforced at 10 to 5, 34 effective net.
4. From GB 36 to Det. 10, out of bounds, 54 yards.
5. From GB 37 to NO 25, 14 yard return, 38 yards, 24 net.
6. From GB 30 to Atl. 33, out of bounds.
7. From Atl. 44 to endzone.

#2 and #4 were very good punts.
#1 was fair, technically 'inside to 20", but barely. Not long. Could have been better.
#3 was effective only because of Det. penalty. Without that, it was a touchback, and just 19 net yards.
#5 and #6 were not good.
#7, as I recall, looked like an intentional touchback to avoid a return.

Looks like he needs to be consistently better.

RashanGary
10-17-2020, 06:23 AM
Too early imo

Patler
10-17-2020, 08:32 AM
Too early imo

I agree, it is too few opportunities to know for sure, but there have been a couple already that were well below expectations, and considering his very inconsistent performance last year, I wanted him to come out of the gate with strong performances. It is time for him to step up. He needs to be better than he was his first two seasons. So far, he has not been.

One area that he has always been good in is handling snaps, both punting and holding for Crosby. Bradley has not been the most consistent in snap locations, just as he was his first two seasons, but Scott has handled them well. On the missed PAT, the snap looked to be OK, so I'm not sure what happened on that one. Crosby may have just miss hit it.

Bretsky
10-17-2020, 10:40 AM
Have we punted this year ?

run pMc
10-17-2020, 11:12 AM
Agree on the individual assessment of each punt, and I also agree the sample size this year is much too small. He's punted 3-4x less than last year at this point. That would be like determining Rodgers year off of 1 quarter, or Dillon off of the few snaps he's gotten so far.
Scott is doing fine as a holder, and hardly is being used otherwise so I'm happy about that. I would like to see his net improve though. Finally, how he does as the weather gets colder will matter.

There have been games in the past where he has bailed out the team with some great punts but that hasn't happened this year out of necessity/opportunity.

Consistency is an issue with him. I don't think he's a bad punter but I'm waiting on him being a Mike Scifres type of punter that is essentially a ST weapon. Gute called him "special" and there have only been flashes.

bobblehead
10-17-2020, 12:06 PM
Who is JK Scott? I don't recall seeing him on the field much at all.

Seriously though, you can't judge him very easily based on minimal use. For his contract he is fine. If I had a really good team I would have a coffin corner punter who would kick it 35 yards and out of bounds every kick.

Joemailman
10-17-2020, 12:22 PM
Have we punted this year ?

No. With the stellar play of our wide receivers, we haven't had to. :p

Fosco33
10-19-2020, 06:45 AM
I blame this thread for the 7 punts yesterday with 46 avg, 42 net and 2 inside 20.

Patler
10-19-2020, 07:44 AM
I blame this thread for the 7 punts yesterday with 46 avg, 42 net and 2 inside 20.

:) At least he now has enough punts to be included in the NFL's stats! As of this morning's list, he is 24th in gross average, 24th in net average. With 6 of 14 inside the 20, he looks to be about 11th in % of punts inside the 20.

RashanGary
10-19-2020, 09:30 AM
Scott is starting to have a profile.... a below average Punter profile. Punting in Green Bay though, a slight bump to average might be fair. I’m disappointed he hasn’t developed.

Joemailman
10-19-2020, 09:42 AM
Scott wasn't bad yesterday. There was a strong crosswind that was probably a factor. He was better than TB's punter by 8 yards per punt.

RashanGary
10-19-2020, 09:45 AM
Scott wasn't bad yesterday. There was a strong crosswind that was probably a factor. He was better than TB's punter by 8 yards per punt.

Green Bay gets pretty windy in the fall/winter. All of his career numbers should get a bump. But..... even with a bump he looks average and doesn’t seem to be developing beyond that

Joemailman
10-19-2020, 09:51 AM
Green Bay gets pretty windy in the fall/winter. All of his career numbers should get a bump. But..... even with a bump he looks average and doesn’t seem to be developing beyond that

I'm okay with average. Can't remember a lot of Super Bowls where the punter was the key.

Vincenzo
10-25-2020, 12:26 PM
Great Scott just punted it 62 yards vs Houston, plus the penalty makes it a 72 yard play.

Vincenzo
10-25-2020, 12:59 PM
Next time on the field Scott punts from mid-field to the 2 yard line of the Texans.
Having a great day so far. ��

Fritz
10-25-2020, 03:04 PM
Who is JK Scott? I don't recall seeing him on the field much at all.

Seriously though, you can't judge him very easily based on minimal use. For his contract he is fine. If I had a really good team I would have a coffin corner punter who would kick it 35 yards and out of bounds every kick.

That's a lost art, the coffin corner punt. I don't know why they don't teach that. It was deadly.

For a punter to get picked in the fifth round is a big deal. Scott has not been a big deal.

I must say I'm not super impressed with Gute's drafting. That offense is keyed by guys all picked by Thompson. Elgton Jenkins is the best offensive player Gute has drafted. He's good, but that's not a ringing endorsement when your best pick is an offensive guard. Who else on that offense has he drafted? AJ Dillon, and....Sternberger...and....?

Joemailman
10-25-2020, 07:02 PM
That's a lost art, the coffin corner punt. I don't know why they don't teach that. It was deadly.

For a punter to get picked in the fifth round is a big deal. Scott has not been a big deal.

I must say I'm not super impressed with Gute's drafting. That offense is keyed by guys all picked by Thompson. Elgton Jenkins is the best offensive player Gute has drafted. He's good, but that's not a ringing endorsement when your best pick is an offensive guard. Who else on that offense has he drafted? AJ Dillon, and....Sternberger...and....?

Gute hasn't drafted many guys who have been impact players... yet. What today proved though is that he's really improved the depth of this team. This team today was missing at least 6 guys who would have been considered key starters at the start of the season.( Bakhtiari, Lane Taylor, Lazard, Aaron Jones, Kirksey, Savage, King) Yet they didn't miss a beat and actually had one their best performances of the season.

Bretsky
10-25-2020, 07:31 PM
Gute hasn't drafted many guys who have been impact players... yet. What today proved though is that he's really improved the depth of this team. This team today was missing at least 6 guys who would have been considered key starters at the start of the season.( Bakhtiari, Lane Taylor, Lazard, Aaron Jones, Kirksey, Savage, King) Yet they didn't miss a beat and actually had one their best performances of the season.

Of those only Savage was a draft pick by Gute. I agree with Fritz; it's a good Gute utilizes free agency

Joemailman
10-25-2020, 08:07 PM
Of those only Savage was a draft pick by Gute. I agree with Fritz; it's a good Gute utilizes free agency

He's doing it the right way. Draft guys based on upside, and using FA to fill temporary needs.

RashanGary
10-25-2020, 08:21 PM
He's doing it the right way. Draft guys based on upside, and using FA to fill temporary needs.

I haven’t been able to profile him just yet. But this interesting and very likely true. He does seem to draft for upside and fill in holes with free agency.

Of course, the next three years will be different with Covid but it’s a good early description.

texaspackerbacker
10-25-2020, 09:54 PM
I haven't seen a word in here about the blocked punt (unless I missed something in the Gameday Thread). Don't get me wrong, I have a fairly high opinion of Scott, but I was a little worried even on the 60+ yarder and in other games about him taking too much time and getting one blocked. He's decent, but not all that super IMO.

RG, what's with the "3 years" bullshit?

Joemailman
10-26-2020, 09:06 AM
Back to original subject, J.K. Scott is 17th in punting average, 24th in net average. He's only 21st in punts inside 20, but he's punted less than just about everybody.

RashanGary
10-26-2020, 10:46 AM
Back to original subject, J.K. Scott is 17th in punting average, 24th in net average. He's only 21st in punts inside 20, but he's punted less than just about everybody.

The analytics guys need to come up with some new punting metrics that give us a better idea of a guys situational effectiveness and overall effectiveness. Maybe a pooch metric, a mid range metric and a long range metric.... see who’s good at what and how often they’re getting each type of opportunity. There has to be a better way, we’re just guessing at this point.

Zool
10-26-2020, 10:53 AM
The analytics guys need to come up with some new punting metrics that give us a better idea of a guys situational effectiveness and overall effectiveness. Maybe a pooch metric, a mid range metric and a long range metric.... see who’s good at what and how often they’re getting each type of opportunity. There has to be a better way, we’re just guessing at this point.

This sounds like the most boring job in the entire world. Coming up with punting metrics. Does it come with a free noose?

run pMc
10-26-2020, 11:41 AM
That blocked punt was on Dexter Williams IMO. He was the edge protector and basically got run over on the play. Jamaal Williams replaced him on the next punt. Dexter's blocking (or lack of) is likely what keeps him on the sideline/PS.