PDA

View Full Version : What percentage of a teams effectiveness is attributed to the QB?

RashanGary
10-17-2020, 09:37 PM
10% special teams
45% defense
45% offense

Since a QB isn’t on the field for 55% of plays, wed start to look at how much he impacts the 45% he plays in.

I’d split the offenses effectiveness into three groups and give them about equal thirds

OL
Skill players
QB

The quarterback accounts for, by my estimation, approximately 1/3 of 45% or 15%

This is not the Green Bay Rodgers vs the Tampa Bay Brady’s

MadScientist
10-17-2020, 10:30 PM
That sound plausible, but when you look at the results from replacing Rodgers with Hundley, the offense took a huge hit.

Bretsky
10-17-2020, 10:39 PM
10% special teams
45% defense
45% offense

Since a QB isn’t on the field for 55% of plays, wed start to look at how much he impacts the 45% he plays in.

I’d split the offenses effectiveness into three groups and give them about equal thirds

OL
Skill players
QB

The quarterback accounts for, by my estimation, approximately 1/3 of 45% or 15%

This is not the Green Bay Rodgers vs the Tampa Bay Brady’s

What percentage Super Bowl's have been won by bad QB's over the last 15 years ?

Upnorth
10-17-2020, 10:43 PM
That sound plausible, but when you look at the results from replacing Rodgers with Hundley, the offense took a huge hit.

2010 defence minus Nick collins became crap. 2020 defence withput Clark becomes crap.
When certain players become keys to scheme they have a larger impact on the game. Qbs tend to become keys to the scheme. As to rodgers impact I think it would be larger than 15% but he is one of the greatest to ever play the game. For an average qb I would say 10-15 is very realistic

smuggler
10-17-2020, 11:57 PM
The defense when the game is on the line has actually been decent this year. They've just been playing a lot of garbage time. To be fair, they have FAILED in garbage time. You're willing to give up points in exchange for burning clock. The garbage time defense has given up quick points.

bobblehead
10-18-2020, 01:23 AM
What percentage Super Bowl's have been won by bad QB's over the last 15 years ?

Bad or average? And do you mean IN THAT GAME, or overall. Cuz Brady's Owl wins read:

13-3, 34-28, 28-24, 24-21, 32-29, 20-17

So in 4 of 6 wins he didn't put 30 on the board. Other recent Owl winners who were not great: Nick Foles, Washed up Manning, Other Manning 2x, and Joe Flacco.

But no, you can't have a BAD QB and win. Average..sure.

RashanGary
10-18-2020, 05:07 AM
First, there are about 25 good quarterbacks in the NFL. You wouldn’t know that unless you’ve watched every game for a season. You would bitch and cry how bad good players are like most fans do.

A huge amount of nfl quarterbacks do a good job leading their teams. Very few are so bad, their team can’t win with them at QB.

So the difference is the average ones (most of them being good) can win and the great ones give their teams a better shot. 15% makes total sense.

I know nobody wants to hear it, but the difference between Brady, Rodgers and Tannenhill is more supporting cast than individual performance. And a bunch of the QB stats are surrounding cast stats more than QB stats.

Upnorth
10-18-2020, 09:14 AM
First, there are about 25 good quarterbacks in the NFL. You wouldn’t know that unless you’ve watched every game for a season. You would bitch and cry how bad good players are like most fans do.

A huge amount of nfl quarterbacks do a good job leading their teams. Very few are so bad, their team can’t win with them at QB.

So the difference is the average ones (most of them being good) can win and the great ones give their teams a better shot. 15% makes total sense.

I know nobody wants to hear it, but the difference between Brady, Rodgers and Tannenhill is more supporting cast than individual performance. And a bunch of the QB stats are surrounding cast stats more than QB stats.

I agree. Nfl is more if a team sport than any other. I think a few currently may exceed the 15% maybe. The list is probably rodgers Wilson and and no one else.
I feel like the oline in total is more important than most qbs

sharpe1027
10-18-2020, 10:08 AM
There's a difference between comparing a dropoff after injury and QBs with an offense designed for them and after an entire preseason of preparation. You would expect a bigger difference when a backup gets put into a spot due to injury.

So hard to really quantity because injury situation would otherwise be a great way to judge by comparing the same supporting cast for two QBs.

Zool
10-18-2020, 10:34 AM

It’s not really possible to have 25 “good” QBs. Someone has to be average and that has to be in the middle. Everyone branches out from there. You can’t have 25 out of 32 be above average. Number 15-17 would be the average QBs.

bobblehead
10-18-2020, 10:36 AM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2020/10/17/21520269/nathaniel-hackett-unsung-hero-of-the-packers-offense

How about we switch it up. How much is attributed to system. First line here is "freed of Blake Bortles". Take a look at actual history. Bortles regressed every year under Hackett. Hackett blew as OC of Jacksonville. Now he is suddenly head coaching material? Only to an idiot owner who doesn't realize Hackett is riding Flower's coat tails.

RashanGary
10-18-2020, 10:40 AM
It’s not really possible to have 25 “good” QBs. Someone has to be average and that has to be in the middle. Everyone branches out from there. You can’t have 25 out of 32 be above average. Number 15-17 would be the average QBs.

25 quarterbacks you can win with. Using your metric, you're correct. If you're looming for a Qb who can win games, even championships, im correct. Since I focus on winning, not comparative dick size, I like my metric. I

RashanGary
10-18-2020, 10:44 AM
I do see a lot of bad defensive tackles, OTs and corners. Those positions are losing games more than the mostly excellent QB play around the league.

There are like 10 good DTs in the league at any given time. Id draft them first all day if there's a good one.

RashanGary
10-18-2020, 10:46 AM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2020/10/17/21520269/nathaniel-hackett-unsung-hero-of-the-packers-offense

How about we switch it up. How much is attributed to system. First line here is "freed of Blake Bortles". Take a look at actual history. Bortles regressed every year under Hackett. Hackett blew as OC of Jacksonville. Now he is suddenly head coaching material? Only to an idiot owner who doesn't realize Hackett is riding Flower's coat tails.

Relax! You have no clue if Hackett is any good as a coach!

Zool
10-18-2020, 01:15 PM
25 quarterbacks you can win with. Using your metric, you're correct. If you're looming for a Qb who can win games, even championships, im correct. Since I focus on winning, not comparative dick size, I like my metric. I

I’m just using math, not your dick. You can’t have 80% of things over average. Otherwise it’s not average. Average is middle.

If you compare them to QB play 30 years ago, they probably do seem much better. The game has changed. QBs are given too much credit and too much blame.

Bretsky
10-18-2020, 03:10 PM
Metrics aside, AROD has carried this team to the playoffs for a while now.

MadtownPacker
10-18-2020, 05:07 PM
Are we talking about just today?

call_me_ishmael
10-18-2020, 11:44 PM
Bad or average? And do you mean IN THAT GAME, or overall. Cuz Brady's Owl wins read:

13-3, 34-28, 28-24, 24-21, 32-29, 20-17

So in 4 of 6 wins he didn't put 30 on the board. Other recent Owl winners who were not great: Nick Foles, Washed up Manning, Other Manning 2x, and Joe Flacco.

But no, you can't have a BAD QB and win. Average..sure.

Sort of revisionist history though. Flacco got the biggest contract in NFL history after winning the super bowl. He was a very good QB at the time. Manning 2 was no Peyton but he was damn good in his own right. Kind of hard to believe he was only a 4x pro bowler TBH.

If you put Mahomes on any of the top 10 teams in the NFC, are they suddenly #1?

bobblehead
10-19-2020, 12:42 AM
Relax! You have no clue if Hackett is any good as a coach!

I think I'm pretty good at grading coaches and future coaches. I pegged Adam Gase as a flop. Was calling for O'Briens head 2 years ago. Predicted Frank Reich would be really good. And I'm telling you Nate isn't doing shit other than smiling at Flower. He didn't do shit in Jacksonville either. He is an NFL coordinator because the old man was a decent coordinator.

bobblehead
10-19-2020, 12:43 AM
I’m just using math, not your dick. You can’t have 80% of things over average. Otherwise it’s not average. Average is middle.

If you compare them to QB play 30 years ago, they probably do seem much better. The game has changed. QBs are given too much credit and too much blame.

Actually you are describing the median. If you average 500,000, 2, 34, 87, 3, 6, 11, 14, 22, and 89 then 90% of them are below average.

bobblehead
10-19-2020, 12:44 AM
Are we talking about just today?

Today he 100% stared down Adams and the result was a pick 6. I am honestly starting to become stupid and believe he is a better QB with Adams out.

Upnorth
10-20-2020, 10:43 AM
Sort of revisionist history though. Flacco got the biggest contract in NFL history after winning the super bowl. He was a very good QB at the time. Manning 2 was no Peyton but he was damn good in his own right. Kind of hard to believe he was only a 4x pro bowler TBH.

If you put Mahomes on any of the top 10 teams in the NFC, are they suddenly #1?

Flacco and manning were both carreer below average and (by zool standard not rg standard) who got crazy hot at the right times. Give me a Matt Stafford or Kirk cousins over flacco or Eli 85% of the time.

Mahones is better than most kfc and except wilson and rodgers imo.
Thinking about it now with Prescott gone and brady and brees old I think Stafford cousins and Kyle Murray are fighting for the third best qb in the nfc

texaspackerbacker
10-20-2020, 10:51 AM
I agree with a lot of that, Upnorth. You did kinda leave out Lamar Jackson, though. And I wouldn't quite put Cousins on the same level as Stafford.