PDA

View Full Version : Reischel - Yesterday showed why Love was drafted

Patler
10-19-2020, 10:28 PM
All the Rodgers apologists are going to be up in arms over this article by Rob Reischel:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robreischel/2020/10/19/aaron-rodgers-latest-stinker-reminds-everyone-why-the-green-bay-packers-drafted-jordan-love/?utm_campaign=forbes&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_term=Carrie/#2ccd836b232f

One of his more biting statements:

Over the past decade, Rodgers has played in as many marquee games as almost any player in football. Far too often, though, Green Bay’s quarterback has shrunk like a frightened turtle.

texaspackerbacker
10-19-2020, 10:46 PM
This God damned piece of shit is even worse than most of those God damned media pukes. Fuck him and anybody believing he has a shred of credibility!

call_me_ishmael
10-19-2020, 10:55 PM
Advertisement driven business + 3 ads filling my screen = yawn. I think the arguments could be made that he stunk it up in the 2011 playoffs (The Giants did after all win the whole damn thing so they were pretty good too) and in the Seattle game in 2014-2015. That was the Packers team that should have won the Super Bowl. I think just about every other time the Packers have lost in the playoffs they've been the less talented team.

The thing I don't like lately is how they get a big lead and let teams back in. That is a somewhat common theme the past couple years. Minnesota and Dallas games come to mind.

Maybe I'm just an apologist, I dunno, the facts are what they are but I partially believe the Packers had the sustained success above the median because of Rodger's greatness.

GB-Brandon
10-19-2020, 11:01 PM
They fail to mention that he still has the second highest rated PFF score at “92.6” in the entire league through the season.

Click bait bullshit!!

GB-Brandon
10-19-2020, 11:03 PM
Jordan Love has to make the active roster before we can even have a Fucken conversation anyways!!! LOL.

Patler
10-20-2020, 12:06 AM
Problem, of course, is that Reischel's recount of Rodgers' performances in the specific games he mentioned is not wrong; and it is consistent with the persistent story that has been around for years that, more than many other really good QBs, Rodgers doesn't handle pressure well.

Patler
10-20-2020, 12:14 AM
Jordan Love has to make the active roster before we can even have a Fucken conversation anyways!!! LOL.

I don't think Reischel is arguing that Love will be the answer, just that Gutekunst has determined he needs to start looking, and make the change as soon as it works out.

texaspackerbacker
10-20-2020, 05:40 AM
Patler, you're almost as full of shit as this scumbag media puke. Nobody in the NFL has a record of consistency and excellence under pressure like Aaron Rodgers. Last Sunday's game was his fault more than anybody else's for allowing momentum to turn around. However, even in that game, there is plenty of blame to go around. Rodgers' biggest shortcoming was that unlike just about every other game in history, he was not able to compensate for various weaknesses we had elsewhere.

Spaulding
10-20-2020, 08:08 AM
Patler, you're almost as full of shit as this scumbag media puke. Nobody in the NFL has a record of consistency and excellence under pressure like Aaron Rodgers. Last Sunday's game was his fault more than anybody else's for allowing momentum to turn around. However, even in that game, there is plenty of blame to go around. Rodgers' biggest shortcoming was that unlike just about every other game in history, he was not able to compensate for various weaknesses we had elsewhere.

I don't think Patler (correct me if I'm wrong here) is suggesting he agrees with the article only referencing the existence of it. It is of note though to wonder if there is really a growing number of media members that question Rodgers isn't in as great as some fans tend to think.

Whether that is the correct is obviously the point of debate and certainly open to opinion. The article could very well be click bait or something Skip Bayless would say and personally I don't agree with the implication but it does raise some a few points that might be worth a little deeper review.

Zool
10-20-2020, 08:11 AM
I've said quite a few times that he struggles when adversity hits. Instead of getting better, he gets worse. Sunday he threw a pick 6 on a really shitty read, then an INT 3 passes later. He completely crumbled. On Sunday after the pick 6 I asked my wife if we will now get pissed off Rodgers or pouty Rodgers. We all saw the answer.

It's the one knock I've had against the guy.

Zool
10-20-2020, 08:12 AM
I don't think Patler (correct me if I'm wrong here) is suggesting he agrees with the article only referencing the existence of it. It is of note though to wonder if there is really a growing number of media members that question Rodgers isn't in as great as some fans tend to think.

Whether that is the correct is obviously the point of debate and certainly open to opinion. The article could very well be click bait or something Skip Bayless would say and personally I don't agree with the implication but it does raise some a few points that might be worth a little deeper review.

You'll have to forgive Tex. He's apparently had a ton of head injuries in his long....long....long life.

George Cumby
10-20-2020, 08:49 AM
You'll have to forgive Tex. He's apparently had a ton of head injuries in his long....long....long life.

Or he's a reactionary asshole.

Zool
10-20-2020, 08:50 AM
Or he's a reactionary asshole.

Potato potahto

run pMc
10-20-2020, 09:08 AM
I don't think Rodgers is a frightened turtle in marquee games. It's a storyteller making a narrative for clicks. Is he wrong? I think he's come up short in games at times, but he's also played well too.

So the TB-GB is a marquee game, but NO-GB with Rodgers-Brees isn't?

Some of the games listed weren't his fault, and they were underdogs going in. The ARI game with Abbrederis and Janis as your WRs. The ATL game where they have LaDarius Gunter and ??? at corner. The SEA-Bostick debacle. I'm not sure those are all on Rodgers. It's a team game. Every NFCCG he's been in has been a road game... winning a road playoff game is hard.

I don't blame Gute for looking at a Rodgers successor. Having the likes of Harrell, Hundley, Kizer... even Seneca Wallace didn't exactly pan out. He's getting older; those hits and sacks hurt more. Makes sense to develop a backup and spot starter in the short term (Boyle if not Love) AND look at a potential long term starter or trade piece. Better to have a decent QB ready to go than have to shop for one out of necessity.

I more or less disagree with the article, but it's an interesting premise. There may be some nuggets of truth there... but no, one bad game so far (when he was in MVP consideration) does not justify the talk IMO.

Patler
10-20-2020, 09:39 AM

100% correct. I thought this could be an interesting discussion, even if a few would overreact in the way we have already seen.

Recently, I posted in another thread that, in my opinion, in too many big games Rodgers had not stepped up in the way a GOAT should have. I certainly would not be as insulting as Reischel is, but the facts he presents support my earlier post. This doesn't make Rodgers a bad guy or a bad QB, but it does point to the critical need to keep the O-line strong. To be effective, Rodgers has to be comfortable, playing "his game". When he is not, too often we see performances like Sunday.

I hoped for a WR in the draft this year just because there seemed to be so many good ones available, but what I really wanted was an OT. I am more concerned about Gutekunst shorting OL than WR in his drafts. If the OL lets Rodgers play his game, you can make do with OK receivers. If the OL fails, all pro WRs won't matter much. After all, 22% of your starters are O-lineman. One pick in the first four rounds in three years does not bode well for the future.

I do not agree with Reischel's conclusion that Love was drafted because of Rodgers' performances in big games. Love was drafted because Rodgers career will soon come to an end, Father Time guarantees that, and drafting where the Packers do year after year makes it extremely difficult to find a successor in the draft. If Gutekunst evaluated Love as a potential long term starter who could be had for a reasonable trade up cost, he had to make the move to get Love for the same reasons Thompson had to draft Rodgers. The Packers don't get these opportunities often.

George Cumby
10-20-2020, 09:54 AM
^ What jumped out at me Sunday is how the pass rush derailed Rodgers.

Given Rodgers performance the last couple of years, drafting a QB was the smart move.

We will see if his 2020 renaissance continues.

bobblehead
10-20-2020, 09:55 AM
Easy article to both agree and disagree with. I'm just rehashing, but basically anyone with a strong agenda one way, or an over stated opinion to defend is probably wrong. Rodgers has had some crappy big games. This wasn't a "big" game. He had a crappy game. Same goes for every QB to ever don the cleats.

Rodgers is good enough to win an Owl still. He is a definite net benefit to nearly any team. He probably isn't worth his current contract anymore, but he has earned the right to be paid it. I'm not looking to move on to Boyle after one bad start though.

All that being said...if I see him refuse to dive into the pile after he drops the snap in the playoffs again...Bring on Boyle.

RashanGary
10-20-2020, 10:01 AM
I think they might have just drafted him because they thought he had a chance to be a HOF talent and you don’t pass up the chance to take the next Rodgers

Upnorth
10-20-2020, 10:34 AM
This 'article' reminded me of a political debate. Pick your opinion. Pick specific facts thst support you and ignore those that don't. Say it in a patronizing tone so that those who are going to agree with you do even more those that don't don't even more. Profit.
Live isn't going to replace rodgers this year or next. He will be there in 2 to 4 years unless he is useless. Of he is useless you draft another qn in two years to hopefully season a bit before rodgers leaves. Its called long term planning and those that don't will enjoy the moment and regret the past.

texaspackerbacker
10-20-2020, 10:39 AM

I was referring to post #6 above.

Upnorth, it has little or nothing to do with whether Love is worthless or not. Rodgers SHOULD and IMO will be the Packers QB for way more than "2 to 4 Years". If Love is worth keeping around for 6, 7. or 8 years as a back up, and if he has the patience to wait, then maybe, but of course, that is doubtful.

And lumping another reply in with this, Zool, speaking of worthless, you incompetent piece of shit who isn't capable of a coherent thought on any topic, you shoulda stayed gone. The forum was better off without you.

Patler
10-20-2020, 10:44 AM
I think they might have just drafted him because they thought he had a chance to be a HOF talent and you don’t pass up the chance to take the next Rodgers

I think it is even more basic than that. They don't have to project him as a potential HOF talent, just a guy who can be a solid 10-15 starter in the NFL. With Rodgers turning 40 and having his contract expire while Love's contract will be under the teams control, Love has ample time to develop and then step in as the potential long term successor.

Patler
10-20-2020, 11:04 AM
Problem, of course, is that Reischel's recount of Rodgers' performances in the specific games he mentioned is not wrong; and it is consistent with the persistent story that has been around for years that, more than many other really good QBs, Rodgers doesn't handle pressure well.

I was referring to post #6 above.

Upnorth, it has little or nothing to do with whether Love is worthless or not. Rodgers SHOULD and IMO will be the Packers QB for way more than "2 to 4 Years". If Love is worth keeping around for 6, 7. or 8 years as a back up, and if he has the patience to wait, then maybe, but of course, that is doubtful.

And lumping another reply in with this, Zool, speaking of worthless, you incompetent piece of shit who isn't capable of a coherent thought on any topic, you shoulda stayed gone. The forum was better off without you.

So, Tex should I now refer to you as a worthless, incompetent, piece of shit, ass-kissing Rodgers apologist puke, or something like that? Will that promote an intelligent discussion? :-)

Rodgers may want to play until he is 45, that doesn't mean he will be able to play until he is 45. The Packers absolutely have to have a future without Rodgers in the back of their minds. They can sit on Love for the next four years and then make the decision; a few more years of Rodgers or a much longer future with Love.

I think it is reasonable to criticize Gutekunst for his evaluation of Loves potential, but not for drafting him when he reached the conclusion he obviously did.

texaspackerbacker
10-20-2020, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't mind that label at all. For the record, it was the media asshole I labeled that way, not you. I just said you were "full if shit" hahahaha.

Given the way Brady plays at 43, you seriously think Rodgers would not be way better at 45? I certainly think he could be, and it damn well better be with the Packers. I don't know what Love's absolute ceiling is, but I doubt he will become a Mahomes. I even doubt that in 9 years, if he reaches his absolute best, he will be as good as a 45 year old Aaron Rodgers - and that's not a knock on Love.

Patler
10-20-2020, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't mind that label at all. For the record, it was the media asshole I labeled that way, not you. I just said you were "full if shit" hahahaha.

Given the way Brady plays at 43, you seriously think Rodgers would not be way better at 45? I certainly think he could be, and it damn well better be with the Packers. I don't know what Love's absolute ceiling is, but I doubt he will become a Mahomes. I even doubt that in 9 years, if he reaches his absolute best, he will be as good as a 45 year old Aaron Rodgers - and that's not a knock on Love.

I don't think Rodgers will be playing at 45. I doubt he will be playing at 43. Rodgers best game is based on his mobility. That has and will continue to decline, perhaps rapidly at some point because of his gimpy knee that has been an issue for some time. I think the Packers will be lucky if he lasts at near his current level until the end of his contract.

Joemailman
10-20-2020, 11:40 AM
I don't think Rodgers will be playing at 45. I doubt he will be playing at 43. Rodgers best game is based on his mobility. That has and will continue to decline, perhaps rapidly at some point because of his gimpy knee that has been an issue for some time. I think the Packers will be lucky if he lasts at near his current level until the end of his contract.

I agree. Brady has been able to stay more healthy than Rodgers. Rodgers has broken both collarbones, and had significant knee and calf injuries. Playing in this offense may extend his career a bit (as long as there aren't many days like last Sunday) but I'd be surprised if he makes it past 41.

Upnorth
10-20-2020, 11:47 AM
I was typing what Patler typed when I got interrupted by a phone call. My difference was saying 39. So of the range we have seen I am the pessimist.

Patler
10-20-2020, 12:06 PM
With Rodgers, there is already a domino effect in play:

-He throws better with movement than he does setting up in the pocket.
-He is less elusive, can't spin away from rushers as he did. This will get worse and worse.
-He will continue to try and move, because he is better that way.
-He will be dragged down by his legs more and more because if the above.
-His knee, calf and ankle issues will become greater problems or even recur with severity.
-The less he moves, the more he is hit the further is removed from what has made him good.
-While I wouldn't call him brittle, Rodgers is not the most durable QB.
-All the above make another significant injury more probable.
-All the above will adversely impact Rodgers' desire to continue playing.

I think in four years the Packers will need to replace Rodgers whether they will want to or not, and whether Love is the guy, or not.

RashanGary
10-20-2020, 02:56 PM
I think it is even more basic than that. They don't have to project him as a potential HOF talent, just a guy who can be a solid 10-15 starter in the NFL. With Rodgers turning 40 and having his contract expire while Love's contract will be under the teams control, Love has ample time to develop and then step in as the potential long term successor.

I would call that probably 50% of the equation

I don’t think they had to do it last year or move up to do it though. It wasn’t desperate times calling for desperate measures. Had he fell, I would put maybe 75% stock in this line of thinking. But..... since they didn’t have to, and did move up, that tells me they think he’s special (on top of being good timing as well)

RashanGary
10-20-2020, 02:59 PM
It was a combination of near perfect timing (although next years draft would be more like perfect timing)

And

How much they thought of Jordan Love

And as good as Rodgers is playing. He’s old in football years. Period. He’s going to be worse 4 years from now, when he’s 40 than he is now. It’s time to start considering the future and possibly moving on after 40.

Bretsky
10-20-2020, 04:20 PM
Article gives us warm fuzzies on why we gave away a pick for a talented developmental project with upside

smuggler
10-20-2020, 04:28 PM
If anything it was a good choice because our GM will need a few years to replenish the cupboards and Rodgers may decide to hang em up by the time the Shepherd is done.

Bretsky
10-20-2020, 04:51 PM
I would disagree. More and more qbs are coming in pretty nfl ready on cheap 5 year contracts . We took a project and we will have him playing after two or three years. Then....if....he’s good he sucks up a bunch of cap space on the second deal.

beveaux1
10-20-2020, 04:52 PM

-He is less elusive, can't spin away from rushers as he did. This will get worse and worse.
-His knee, calf and ankle issues will become greater problems or even recur with severity.
-The less he moves, the more he is hit the further is removed from what has made him good.

I think in four years the Packers will need to replace Rodgers whether they will want to or not, and whether Love is the guy, or not.

I recall an often repeated quote "It's better to replace a player a year early than a year late."

Bretsky
10-20-2020, 04:53 PM
And I don’t want to be captain obvious but giving up the extra pick handicapped us from getting a wr we need against the competent defenses

GB-Brandon
10-20-2020, 05:03 PM
Once again let’s stick to the FACTS!!!

Rodgers is the second highest rated player in the entire league according to PFF at “92.6” so he is certainly “Worth His Contact”. He is also doing it with far less talent then let’s say what Tom Brady has to work with in Tampa or what many other QB’s have with their teams.

Aaron Rodgers has also been one of the best and some years the best QB in the NFL at “beating the blitz” statistically.

He threw his 3rd pick 6 in his entire career Sunday so that was more of anomaly if anything. My theory is it was more that he isn’t comfortable with the other receivers that were on the field against better competition so he forced the ball to Adams. EQ ran the wrong route early and if we’re going to be honest Shepherd doesn’t make most NFL rosters. Once Tonyan got gimpy we had literally nothing left. They are not confident with Sternberger!!!Todd Bowles knew this and threw the kitchen sink at Rodgers and we had no answers!!

With our shitty defense and shitty overall weapons it always comes back to Rodgers having to play at a Superman Level to overcome all the failures. If he doesn’t it’s time to get rid of him and move on!!

Wake the fuck up people!!!

GB-Brandon
10-20-2020, 05:09 PM
The Green Bay Packers have “Too Many Fucken Warts”.

Go see a doctor!!! Gute is contagious!!

Rodgers is tired of covering them up!!

texaspackerbacker
10-20-2020, 05:13 PM

Seriously? hahahahaha - Rodgers ain't as mobile as he used to be huh? I think you're seeing what you want to see ....... or if not "want" to see, expecting to see after reading and believing sick shit from media pukes.

Rodgers, among other things, is way more athletic than Brady. If Brady can survive to 43 and beyond, certainly Rodgers can. Sure, anybody can get a Dak-like freak injury at any time, but barring that, Rodgers will go on as long as he wants to go on, and it would be an absolute fucking shame if he ends career somewhere else. Maybe my faith is misplaced, but I just can't see Gutekunst, LaFleur, et al being so all out stupid as to let Rodgers go and see the Packers go right down the drain.

GB-Brandon
10-20-2020, 05:20 PM
If Rodgers can avoid serious injury and continues to take care of his body the way he does he can easily still play at his level for another 4-5 years. Maybe longer.

Unfortunately he won’t be doing it for the Packers!!!

Packers fans can watch him win a Super Bowl somewhere else while Gute fiddle Fucks around a Losing Franchise!!!

run pMc
10-21-2020, 08:00 AM
Gute's early but he's not wrong about drafting a QB like Jordan Love.
Unless Rodgers changes the way he plays - and he's resisted that - he's going to lose effectiveness and end up on IR. He's a good athlete but he's 36. Nobody beats Father Time. I think he has 4-5 seasons left. Maybe 6, but even then you're going to need a good backup; I don't trust him to make it through 16+ games with the way he plays, do you? That's ~100 games; I don't think he has that in him.

Look at Brees and Brady. Those guys get rid of the ball quick and generally stay in the pocket. They've also looked very, very mortal. Favre made it to 41; Rodgers won't make it much past that.

Discussion of how long Rodgers will play (and be effective) aside, the article is incomplete since there are facts to dispute it that the writer ignores.

run pMc
10-21-2020, 08:05 AM
I'm with Patler on the OL/WR concerns in the recent draft. I think almost everyone wanted them to draft a WR; I was also concerned about OT depth. Signing Wagner helped, but the possibility of losing Bulaga and Bahktiari in consecutive seasons has to be a concern they address.

Nobody confuses Ryan Tannehill with a HOF QB, and (depending on which stats you prefer) he has been playing at a level on par with Wilson, Rodgers, et al. for TEN. I'd attribute this to scheme fit, plus having a good defense, OL and skill players. Jordan Love doesn't need to be a HOF player, but any QB needs good teammate talent to succeed. Gute has some work to do there.

Upnorth
10-21-2020, 11:26 AM
Gute's early but he's not wrong about drafting a QB like Jordan Love.
Unless Rodgers changes the way he plays - and he's resisted that - he's going to lose effectiveness and end up on IR. He's a good athlete but he's 36. Nobody beats Father Time. I think he has 4-5 seasons left. Maybe 6, but even then you're going to need a good backup; I don't trust him to make it through 16+ games with the way he plays, do you? That's ~100 games; I don't think he has that in him.

Look at Brees and Brady. Those guys get rid of the ball quick and generally stay in the pocket. They've also looked very, very mortal. Favre made it to 41; Rodgers won't make it much past that.

Discussion of how long Rodgers will play (and be effective) aside, the article is incomplete since there are facts to dispute it that the writer ignores.

When I think of successful over the age of 38 qbs who are mobile I canthink of 1. Favre. The qbs with late success all are pocket passages with quick triggers and few sacks or pressures. Does that describe rodgers??? If he is as good as Favre at 39 I will be amazed.

Love is our first attempt to draft for future success. We may need mor than one. I'm glad they tried.

Patler
10-21-2020, 01:52 PM
Silverstein writes just about the same evaluation of Rodgers as Reischel did:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2020/10/21/green-bay-packers-offense-must-lean-more-aaron-jones-ground-game/5992403002/

What we saw against Tampa Bay on Sunday was a pretty good example of how the Packers’ offensive success tends to dive when the other team eliminates Jones as a threat and makes LaFleur depend on quarterback Aaron Rodgers being the guy he was in the prime of his career.

... he also no longer can tilt the field back his way as he showed on that afternoon and so many others before that.

Both of those factors were in play when the Packers twice had a chance to bite back at the Buccaneers’ aggressive defense.

(He then describes the missed throws to Lewis and MVS in the first half)

Hit either of those two passes and the game would have changed.

... the bottom line is it was two plays that could have put the Buccaneers' defense on its heels, and Rodgers couldn’t make them.

Joemailman
10-21-2020, 02:10 PM
Along those lines, I read this week Bucs blitzed about 50% of the time. Rodgers was unable to make them pay. No wonder they had pressure all day.

GB-Brandon
10-21-2020, 03:03 PM
Once again Rodgers couldn’t make them pay because we don’t have anybody on our roster that can beat press coverage against tougher competition other then Adams. It was simple. Bracket Adams and the other guys couldn’t win their matchups. If they can’t get a clean release Rodgers has NO CHANCE!! It’s that simple. To think Rodgers wouldn’t throw balls to wide open guys is just ridiculous.

Tonyan got gimped up. MVS, Shepherd and EQ are trash!! Mercedes Lewis is a dinosaur. Sternberger has not developed as planned. There is nothing left in the cupboard. It’s a giant failure on the part of Gute and Rodgers has been left hanging once again.

Patler
10-21-2020, 05:05 PM
Don't forget the opportunities that were there, when Rodgers couldn't capitalize. On this game day, Brady dropped a couple passes into well-covered receivers for big plays and Rodgers missed a couple open ones for what should have been big plays. That can be the difference in the nature of the game.

Upnorth
10-21-2020, 05:16 PM
Once again Rodgers couldn’t make them pay because we don’t have anybody on our roster that can beat press coverage against tougher competition other then Adams. It was simple. Bracket Adams and the other guys couldn’t win their matchups. If they can’t get a clean release Rodgers has NO CHANCE!! It’s that simple. To think Rodgers wouldn’t throw balls to wide open guys is just ridiculous.

Tonyan got gimped up. MVS, Shepherd and EQ are trash!! Mercedes Lewis is a dinosaur. Sternberger has not developed as planned. There is nothing left in the cupboard. It’s a giant failure on the part of Gute and Rodgers has been left hanging once again.

So you didn't watch the game then obviously. Or you cant identify open receivers other than Adams.
I must add this was the first game rodgers was consistently pressured.

bobblehead
10-21-2020, 06:32 PM

Crazy talk. There has to be some hidden motivation involving Rodgers. ITS ALL ABOUT RODGERS!!!!

bobblehead
10-21-2020, 06:39 PM

I'll play devils advocat. He actually plays best when he runs in rhythm and gets rid of the ball consistently only to take the big play when teams collapse to the 15 yard box. He has been mostly smart about his mobility this season, and now in the one instance where he dove for a TD he got hit hard. I still think that is the reason he played for shit from that point on. I think as long as he accepts his mortality he can easily play to 40.

bobblehead
10-21-2020, 06:45 PM
When I think of successful over the age of 38 qbs who are mobile I canthink of 1. Favre. The qbs with late success all are pocket passages with quick triggers and few sacks or pressures. Does that describe rodgers??? If he is as good as Favre at 39 I will be amazed.

Love is our first attempt to draft for future success. We may need mor than one. I'm glad they tried.

Both Favre and Brees ran similar to Rodgers in the younger years. (favre not as gracefully though). Both stopped leaving the pocket as they got older. No reason Rodgers can't make that adjustment other than stubbornness.

bobblehead
10-21-2020, 06:46 PM
Silverstein writes just about the same evaluation of Rodgers as Reischel did:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2020/10/21/green-bay-packers-offense-must-lean-more-aaron-jones-ground-game/5992403002/

This would be true if I didn't watch Rodgers dismantle that defense before getting rocked in the endzone. Since I did see it, its crap.

bobblehead
10-21-2020, 06:46 PM

You said that already.

GB-Brandon
10-21-2020, 06:47 PM
So you didn't watch the game then obviously. Or you cant identify open receivers other than Adams.

Do we really need to overthink this? RODGERS IS ONE OF THE ALL-TIME BEST PASSERS AT BEATING THE BLITZ!!!!!

Was he rattled? Yes

Was he pressured? Yes

We’re Packer receivers winning and beating press coverage? No

Did he resort to desperation and going back to his mainstay and forcing the ball to Adams? Yes

Do the Packers need help with another weapon that can stretch the middle of the field and attack the perimeter that also has the ability to beat man press? 1000 PERCENT ABSOLUTELY YES!!!!

DOES 1 + 1 = 2? GET IT?

bobblehead
10-21-2020, 06:47 PM

He lives in his own world. I could replay the 2 deep passes he missed MVS on and he would claim an unnatural gust of wind came from nowhere to move the ball in midair.

bobblehead
10-21-2020, 06:49 PM
No Brandon, you are wrong. He wasn't even pressured on his first pick 6 to adams. He had time. He stared right at Adams the entire time. He threw it to a horrible spot. He didn't even get hit on the play if I recall.

Rodgers is great. We realize you have a fetish. He wasn't in this game. You look stupid blaming everyone else. He got rocked and played a crappy game after that. Let me say it again. Rodgers is great. He was not Sunday.

Edit...and we lost our LT which almost always results in a tire fire.

GB-Brandon
10-21-2020, 07:02 PM
I’m sorry but an offense that is relying on Mercedes Lewis to make game changing plays down the seam and Jamal Williams making plays on wide receiver screens and a guy like Darius Shepherd to make a big play in crunch time is not an elite Fucken offense!!!

We just saw it play out for gods sake!!

bobblehead
10-21-2020, 07:10 PM
I’m sorry but an offense that is relying on Mercedes Lewis to make game changing plays down the seam and Jamal Williams making plays on wide receiver screens and a guy like Darius Shepherd to make a big play in crunch time is not an elite Fucken offense!!!

We just saw it play out for gods sake!!

Erin failed to execute. He missed MVS on 2 bombs. He threw 2 pick 6s (practically). Nothing wrong that Erin cleaning up his game can't fix.

GB-Brandon
10-21-2020, 07:14 PM
No Brandon, you are wrong. He wasn't even pressured on his first pick 6 to adams. He had time. He stared right at Adams the entire time. He threw it to a horrible spot. He didn't even get hit on the play if I recall.

Rodgers is great. We realize you have a fetish. He wasn't in this game. You look stupid blaming everyone else. He got rocked and played a crappy game after that. Let me say it again. Rodgers is great. He was not Sunday.

Edit...and we lost our LT which almost always results in a tire fire.

I’ve already addressed Rodgers forcing the ball. As far as MVS I don’t know what’s going on. I don’t know if they aren’t on the same page or what’s going on. We don’t know for sure. It’s easy to watch it on tv and see MVS and the ball go somewhere else and blame Rodgers but we’re not sure exactly where MVS was supposed to be. Whatever the case they have had problems thus far hooking up deep just like the last two years. Something isn’t clicking between those two. Hopefully they can figure it out.

I’m not saying we win that particular game if we had that “Other Weapon” but what I am saying is we are probably going to have to play that team again and other teams that can play us that way. We really need to get someone that I am describing. It’s actually a key piece in the Shanahan/LaFluer system if you look around the league and it will also help us match up better against certain teams. It’s not really that hard to understand.

LaFluer knows this by some of things he said after the game regarding Ervin. I can guarantee you LaFluer would not complain with the addition of the piece I am talking about either. If Gute doesn’t do it then he is a complete Jackass but most of us already know that.

GB-Brandon
10-21-2020, 07:24 PM
Erin failed to execute. He missed MVS on 2 bombs. He threw 2 pick 6s (practically). Nothing wrong that Erin cleaning up his game can't fix.

Second pick I don’t put on Rodgers. Adams has to real that one in as a pro bowl receiver and come back to the ball more with positioning. Even on the first pick Devante’s route didn’t look typical. Adams just didn’t look right all game. Maybe he needs to get his legs back. Regardless, as posted earlier it’s a 14-10 ballgame. It’s still a game early in the second quarter and we couldn’t do anything for basically three quarters so I don’t know what the hell your talking about?

So the game was over when we were down 14-10 after Rodgers threw two picks early in second quarter. Should they of just stopped the game? Geeez!

GB-Brandon
10-21-2020, 07:26 PM
Is our team that Fucken fragile that if Rodgers throws a interception we lose. He has to be that Fucken perfect? It’s Fucken ridiculous!!!

GB-Brandon
10-21-2020, 07:28 PM
I’m so glad I’m selling the fuck out of here. The losing is going to be unreal!!! Wait until Jordan Fucken Love is throwing picks every Fucken game!!

Sparkey
10-21-2020, 08:15 PM
You know, feel free to keep trashing the team. But dropping f'bombs left and right doesn't make you more correct.

It just makes you appear to be an idiot.

GB-Brandon
10-21-2020, 08:36 PM
You know, feel free to keep trashing the team. But dropping f'bombs left and right doesn't make you more correct.

Don’t worry after over 20 plus years going to camp, traveling to road games, the draft etc etc I’m just about done. If Gute doesn’t do something by the trade dead line I’m throwing in the towel for good on this pathetic front office. I’m very serious too. I can’t do it anymore. There are some other things I want to do as well so it’s probably time anyways.

I thought when they brought Gute in we were going to have a nice 4-5 year run but what he has created is nothing short of a nightmare when I see the big picture. The bubble is going to pop. Rodgers era is coming to an end and Gute is going to be on the wrong side of this whole thing when all the cards come falling down because he hasn’t built jack shit!!!

There won’t be much left. I’m not going through a massive rebuild with this whole thing. They won’t get it right.

George Cumby
10-21-2020, 08:40 PM

Fuck fuk phuq fukkity fug fugen ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkk fik fork fuggity-fuk-fuk fucky-mcfukkerson FUCK fichen fuckface-fitzfeuckeroni

Am I doing this right?

Sparkey
10-21-2020, 08:45 PM
Fuck fuk phuq fukkity fug fugen ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkk fik fork fuggity-fuk-fuk fucky-mcfukkerson FUCK fichen fuckface-fitzfeuckeroni

Am I doing this right?

Lol, my grandson just asked me if you are ok or missed your meds. Hahaha

George Cumby
10-21-2020, 08:54 PM
^ You've trained him well. He'll fit right in.

:-)

Harlan Huckleby
10-21-2020, 09:48 PM
I have memories of Favre fizzling in big games too. Part of that is every good team (except one) ends the season with a painful loss. Those losses tend to stick in your craw. Usually the QB is blamed.

MadtownPacker
10-21-2020, 10:40 PM
I'll play devils advocat. He actually plays best when he runs in rhythm and gets rid of the ball consistently only to take the big play when teams collapse to the 15 yard box. He has been mostly smart about his mobility this season, and now in the one instance where he dove for a TD he got hit hard. I still think that is the reason he played for shit from that point on. I think as long as he accepts his mortality he can easily play to 40.He got bitch slapped, nothing more nothing less. He sure had it in him to go back and forth with dumbass suh the rest of the game. That's what had his attention and he let it happen. Like I said in the game thread he should have grabbed fatboys facemask with both hands and dragged him down hard. Shithead knowing Rodgers had enough of his shit and the entire Packers roster seeing him stand up for himself might have been the match that lit a fire under their asses. More than worth the 15yd penalty.

Instead he shrunk to the occasion. Even worse in a interview he said that suh appearred to want deal with it after the game. He straight up said "Im not fighting him". That's lame.

Spaulding
10-22-2020, 10:44 AM
I’m so glad I’m selling the fuck out of here. The losing is going to be unreal!!! Wait until Jordan Fucken Love is throwing picks every Fucken game!!

Does this mean you've only been a fan during the golden years of Favre and Rodgers? If so that explains your posts and behavior quite a bit.

Many of us suffered through the 70's and 80's where a winning season was even getting to .500 and thus winning as many games as they lost.

In many ways it was like child abuse cheering for the Packers and not being old enough to drink beers during a blowout to dull the pain.

If this is the Packers fan base these days most are in for a rude awakening when they aren't consistent playoff contenders. Hopefully your hate towards Love is wrong and he continues the good times.

And cheering for winning teams is easy. Jumping ship after one bad game is irrational and dramatic.

GB-Brandon
10-22-2020, 11:06 AM
Does this mean you've only been a fan during the golden years of Favre and Rodgers? If so that explains your posts and behavior quite a bit.

Many of us suffered through the 70's and 80's where a winning season was even getting to .500 and thus winning as many games as they lost.

In many ways it was like child abuse cheering for the Packers and not being old enough to drink beers during a blowout to dull the pain.

If this is the Packers fan base these days most are in for a rude awakening when they aren't consistent playoff contenders. Hopefully your hate towards Love is wrong and he continues the good times.

And cheering for winning teams is easy. Jumping ship after one bad game is irrational and dramatic.

Actually I was born and raised in Green Bay. Was a toddler on my grandfathers lap as he yelled at the TV of some of those bad Packer teams in the 70’s. Grew up watching Dickey and all of that. Then of course the turn around with Ron Wolf and what followed.

I remember when my family moved from Wisconsin and I could only watch the Packers play once or twice a year because they were so bad that they weren’t on TV that much. I’ve experienced both sides of things.

I’ve thoroughly explained my frustration now. To sum it up shortly i was very excited when Gute was named GM and thought we would be headed on a 4-5 year run of excellence with Rodgers at the helm. I decided i wanted to be a part of that so I bought a home near Lambeau and expectations were high. I will reveal more after the season. Let’s just say I have been thoroughly disappointed. Yes, they went 13-3 last year and they are 4-1 now but I just don’t believe they have put the necessary effort and commitment into winning now. Maybe I will be wrong. We shall see.

GB-Brandon
10-22-2020, 11:10 AM
I’m thoroughly invested in this whole thing and I want out!!!

Sparkey
10-22-2020, 11:40 AM

If that's the case, then don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. Otherwise, chill. It's just a game and regardless of the ups and downs, it shouldn't consume your emotions like it appears you allow.

SudsMcBucky
10-22-2020, 12:02 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0BTdo6qGwo

run pMc
10-22-2020, 12:19 PM
LOL dude vanished during the win streak and showed up to troll after one loss. He belongs on a Real Housewives reality show, he's pretty overdramatic about things.

Patler
10-22-2020, 03:39 PM
What does it mean to be "all in" as a FAN?

I have been a continuous follower, backer and rooter of the team for more than 60 seasons. I reveled in the success of the 1960s and lived through the dark years of the '70s and '80s when national writers and reporters openly questioned if an NFL franchise in Green Bay could ever be competitive again in the age of big money sports. I never waivered in my enthusiasm for the team even when they looked like bumbling fools in the front office and incompetents on the field. I watched and listened to all games I could, rooted for them and cheered when they did succeed. I have closely followed every off season. I own every issue of their official annual yearbook, including this year's.

BUT....., I never allowed the Packers successes or failures to change my life for more than the times of the games themselves. I have never believed that the team owed ME anything. They have never been more than entertainment to me. I have enjoyed following them even when they have been bad. It has never entered my mind to qualify my support with ultimatums to the front office.

Does that mean I'm not "all in" as a fan?

Upnorth
10-22-2020, 04:04 PM
Packers fans are fairly spoiled with success. You not only get to root for the greatest nfl team but they tend to win a lot.

Try being a rider fan. I would virtually kill for the packers success to transfer to the riders. Its a lot like cheering for the 70s and 80s packers while never getting the 90s to now.

GB-Brandon
10-22-2020, 04:12 PM
It’s a personal choice for everyone for how far one wants to go. I don’t need to sit here and make a list of “What I have done.” I will reveal more at the end of the season. I’m just worn out. It doesn’t mean I wasn’t baptized by Saint Vince. It doesn’t mean I don’t bleed Green and Gold. It means I can only go so far with my expectations with a front office that is more concerned about expanding Title Town District then winning a World Championship. If people want to lie to themselves and make excuses for all their “Non-Moves” and “Failures” of the front office then that’s their choice and I respect that. This is my choice. I really don’t need to explain my interest or how close I am or what I have put into this. I will just say it is a lot.

My due date is November 3rd as I’ve posted. This whole thing for me has come to a giant head. I’ve already been mentally preparing myself to becoming more of a casual fan due to the direction the Packers have been going. It really didn’t need to be this way. I haven’t been this upset following the Packers in last 20+ years. I’ve come to accept it either way it goes. My wife would rather go cruising around the world anyways.

Guiness
10-22-2020, 04:34 PM
Lol, my grandson just asked me if you are ok or missed your meds. Hahaha

is this him?

https://www.reddit.com/r/KidsAreFuckingStupid/comments/hoxfr8/please_help_with_the_fucking_jam/

Patler
10-22-2020, 06:37 PM
If people want to lie to themselves and make excuses for all their “Non-Moves” and “Failures” of the front office then that’s their choice and I respect that. This is my choice. I really don’t need to explain my interest or how close I am or what I have put into this. I will just say it is a lot.

For most of us, it has absolutely nothing to do with "lying to ourselves," We realize that we can neither influence what the Packers do nor change what they've done or not done. We accept the reality of what the facts are, and go on from there. Personally, I would rather try to understand why they drafted Gary, didn't draft a WR or traded up to draft Love than continue to agonize over the facts that things didn't turn out as I expected or hoped in the last two drafts. I am very content to wait another few years and see if they were right. It's part of what makes the NFL interesting to me.

bobblehead
10-22-2020, 06:41 PM

Am I doing this right?

Is that a Haiku? Did Ozzie Guillen write it?

bobblehead
10-22-2020, 06:46 PM
LOL dude vanished during the win streak and showed up to troll after one loss. He belongs on a Real Housewives reality show, he's pretty overdramatic about things.

https://listabuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/funny-reasons-kids-throw-temper-tantrums-1.jpg

GB-Brandon
10-22-2020, 07:21 PM
For most of us, it has absolutely nothing to do with "lying to ourselves," We realize that we can neither influence what the Packers do nor change what they've done or not done. We accept the reality of what the facts are, and go on from there. Personally, I would rather try to understand why they drafted Gary, didn't draft a WR or traded up to draft Love than continue to agonize over the facts that things didn't turn out as I expected or hoped in the last two drafts. I am very content to wait another few years and see if they were right. It's part of what makes the NFL interesting to me.

And that’s great and fine. I’m getting ready to slow it down myself for reasons I’ve posted. However; there are much more worse things people can get consumed with and “ARE” then the Green Bay Packers. I could list them but that would take too long.

George Cumby
10-22-2020, 07:49 PM
Is that a Haiku? Did Ozzie Guillen write it?

No, no, no, no, you philistine. Haiku is in a strict 5-7-5 format:

Fuck phuq fukkity

Fork fichen fuggito fuck

Fucking Brandon fug

sharpe1027
10-22-2020, 08:22 PM
It's an interesting point, but certainly too simplistic. Fact is, nobody knows what will happen to Rodgers over the next few years. That's why taking a QB isn't a statement. It's just taking advantage of a opportunity to strengthen the team. R-E-L-A-X

RashanGary
10-23-2020, 03:23 PM
It's an interesting point, but certainly too simplistic. Fact is, nobody knows what will happen to Rodgers over the next few years. That's why taking a QB isn't a statement. It's just taking advantage of a opportunity to strengthen the team. R-E-L-A-X

Exactly. Gute has said, he liked love and greatly values the QB position. It's not a soap opera drama. It's a team consistently investing in talent.

RashanGary
10-23-2020, 03:47 PM
Jordy Nelson davante, rodgers and TJ Lang are interesting draft picks.

Jordy was behind jennings and driver during the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons but I think we can agree that, that was a good long term pick for the Packers.

Lang was behind colledge and Sitton his rookie year and his second year in the league. But then he was a long term, pro bowl level guard for the several years following.

Rodgers was a backup QB for three years, but I think most of us feel good about that first round draft pick.

Adams was behind Nelson and Cobb his first year. Nelson was lost for the season in Adams 2nd season and he couldn't capitalize partly due to that ankle, but broke out in his third year.

The way NFL players tend to be so/so or even poor as rookies and second year players, but often times reach their full potential in year's 3, 4 and 5...... And those players also tend to get favorable second contracts that average in the last year of their rookie deals. When you draft well, you end up with well priced veteran starters in the long run.

Sometimes, a lot of times, you don't really know what you have in a player for a few years. Montravious Adams is sort of an odd ball this year. He's starting to play well, sort of shockingly well considering I've all but given up on him. He might end up being a staple next to Clark for the next 4 or 5 years and a great draft pick.

Team and player development is a hard concept to grasp because the emotions of the ”right now” nature of football games and football seasons can overwhelm and stifle the ability to see how superbowls are won over the course of several years of good decision making and development.

Gute, Love, Alexander, Gary, Savage, Lizard, etc.... There is a football season every year and a champion every year and pro bowlers every year. We've yet to see the full playout of the compilation of decisions made or development that's happening that we might not be able to see yet.

We all have our suspicions, but most of Packer nation was devastated by the loss of Favre and it worked out. We’ll see it Gute wins a championship. I.hope he does but today isn't the day to crown or fire anyone. It's time to see how it plays

GB-Brandon
10-23-2020, 05:42 PM
I’d say you might want to crown the Bucc’s as Champs of the NFC at least!!!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30175919/source-antonio-brown-meet-tampa-bay-buccaneers-saturday

We have to do something if we expect to close the gap. Lazard coming back doesn’t cut it. Sorry!!!!!!

GB-Brandon
10-23-2020, 06:31 PM
Kansas City and Tampa would be an amazing Super Bowl. Lots of story lines.

bobblehead
10-24-2020, 12:00 PM
I’d say you might want to crown the Bucc’s as Champs of the NFC at least!!!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30175919/source-antonio-brown-meet-tampa-bay-buccaneers-saturday

We have to do something if we expect to close the gap. Lazard coming back doesn’t cut it. Sorry!!!!!!

Cancel the season. Give 'em the crown. Is that you Lovey? THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!

GB-Brandon
10-24-2020, 12:05 PM
Cancel the season. Give 'em the crown. Is that you Lovey? THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!

On Paper it’s a lot for the Packers to overcome. That’s for sure!!!

Zool
10-24-2020, 05:36 PM

Denny Green

texaspackerbacker
10-24-2020, 08:09 PM
Jordy Nelson davante, rodgers and TJ Lang are interesting draft picks.

Jordy was behind jennings and driver during the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons but I think we can agree that, that was a good long term pick for the Packers.

Lang was behind colledge and Sitton his rookie year and his second year in the league. But then he was a long term, pro bowl level guard for the several years following.

Rodgers was a backup QB for three years, but I think most of us feel good about that first round draft pick.

Adams was behind Nelson and Cobb his first year. Nelson was lost for the season in Adams 2nd season and he couldn't capitalize partly due to that ankle, but broke out in his third year.

The way NFL players tend to be so/so or even poor as rookies and second year players, but often times reach their full potential in year's 3, 4 and 5...... And those players also tend to get favorable second contracts that average in the last year of their rookie deals. When you draft well, you end up with well priced veteran starters in the long run.

Sometimes, a lot of times, you don't really know what you have in a player for a few years. Montravious Adams is sort of an odd ball this year. He's starting to play well, sort of shockingly well considering I've all but given up on him. He might end up being a staple next to Clark for the next 4 or 5 years and a great draft pick.

Team and player development is a hard concept to grasp because the emotions of the ”right now” nature of football games and football seasons can overwhelm and stifle the ability to see how superbowls are won over the course of several years of good decision making and development.

Gute, Love, Alexander, Gary, Savage, Lizard, etc.... There is a football season every year and a champion every year and pro bowlers every year. We've yet to see the full playout of the compilation of decisions made or development that's happening that we might not be able to see yet.

We all have our suspicions, but most of Packer nation was devastated by the loss of Favre and it worked out. We’ll see it Gute wins a championship. I.hope he does but today isn't the day to crown or fire anyone. It's time to see how it plays

Good picks are the ones we get lucky on. Bad picks are the ones we don't get lucky on and end up playing like crap.

RashanGary
10-25-2020, 09:31 AM
Good picks are the ones we get lucky on. Bad picks are the ones we don't get lucky on and end up playing like crap.

In some ways, yeah, definitely. The sacred cow was a 4h round pick, who out performed the first round pick of a few years earlier, Sherrod. If they were so smart and luck wasn’t at least half of it, there would be a lot more consistency than there is in draft production.

League wide, 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks tend to have a better chance. Loading up on 2nds and 3rds is a strategy New England employs, taking advantage of the spots in the draft that are a little less luck dependent.

texaspackerbacker
10-25-2020, 11:36 AM
Yeah, if Bakhtiari is half as good as most in here think, that's a golden example of getting lucky. And Sherrod, damn, what he might have been if not for the luck of getting hurt.

th87
10-27-2020, 03:26 AM
And that’s great and fine. I’m getting ready to slow it down myself for reasons I’ve posted. However; there are much more worse things people can get consumed with and “ARE” then the Green Bay Packers. I could list them but that would take too long.

A few months after Seattle was when I decided to pull back. Waking up sad over a football game didn't make any sense.

It was difficult to actually do it. But it eventually worked, and I don't get as upset after losses.

I've now fully accepted losing in the playoffs to a physical team while Pettine is around. To make Mostert look like Jim Brown is a rare feat.

GB-Brandon
10-27-2020, 09:24 AM
A few months after Seattle was when I decided to pull back. Waking up sad over a football game didn't make any sense.

It was difficult to actually do it. But it eventually worked, and I don't get as upset after losses.

I've now fully accepted losing in the playoffs to a physical team while Pettine is around. To make Mostert look like Jim Brown is a rare feat.

Ah yes, Seattle!!! The game I lost a Job, a GF, and had to leave the city!!! Looking back I probably should of drawn the line at that disaster and choke show as well. Hats off to you!!

The fact that this organization has such open wounds of being so close makes it that much more pathetic that they refuse to make the extra effort to secure a Championship NOW. Yet RG says I need to feel compassion for some entitled 5th round pick that can’t play football and how the locker room might revolt if we replace him!!! I can’t believe this shit!!

I am slowly separating. Like this Houston win didn’t do anything for me. Until this team beats a really good team it’s just a little dog and pony show as far as I’m concerned.

RashanGary
10-27-2020, 11:44 AM

Welcome back. I used to see you at ff but the tyrannical moderation over there is too much

th87
10-27-2020, 03:15 PM
Ah yes, Seattle!!! The game I lost a Job, a GF, and had to leave the city!!! Looking back I probably should of drawn the line at that disaster and choke show as well. Hats off to you!!

The fact that this organization has such open wounds of being so close makes it that much more pathetic that they refuse to make the extra effort to secure a Championship NOW. Yet RG says I need to feel compassion for some entitled 5th round pick that can’t play football and how the locker room might revolt if we replace him!!! I can’t believe this shit!!

I am slowly separating. Like this Houston win didn’t do anything for me. Until this team beats a really good team it’s just a little dog and pony show as far as I’m concerned.

As I'd gotten older, I saw that "who you know" factors into hiring much more than I ever believed, in all fields. Competence is secondary.

The Packers board and Murphy want to field a successful enough team, run by people they like, but aren't willing to be ruthless to win. That's how MM, TT, Capers, and Pettine have stuck around so long riding Rodgers coattails.

These guys aren't *that* smart. They're former meatheads who knew the right people, worked hard (their most impressive trait), and moved up. Not geniuses, and not much more adept than an average fan if they took the same route. There are revolutionary exceptions like Bill Walsh, for example, but most are not.

So...Pettine is just an average dude who will be utterly destroyed by any slightly smart offensive coach. I'm fully resigned to this. Our only chance is to get lucky in our playoff matchups.

That makes it a little easier, but still disappointing to see such potential squandered because not enough was done.

th87
10-27-2020, 03:18 PM
Welcome back. I used to see you at ff but the tyrannical moderation over there is too much

Thanks man. FF is a homer cult...no dissent is ever allowed, even though the legitimate and nuanced critics of TT, MM, and Capers were proven correct.

GB-Brandon
10-27-2020, 04:49 PM
As I'd gotten older, I saw that "who you know" factors into hiring much more than I ever believed, in all fields. Competence is secondary.

The Packers board and Murphy want to field a successful enough team, run by people they like, but aren't willing to be ruthless to win. That's how MM, TT, Capers, and Pettine have stuck around so long riding Rodgers coattails.

These guys aren't *that* smart. They're former meatheads who knew the right people, worked hard (their most impressive trait), and moved up. Not geniuses, and not much more adept than an average fan if they took the same route. There are revolutionary exceptions like Bill Walsh, for example, but most are not.

So...Pettine is just an average dude who will be utterly destroyed by any slightly smart offensive coach. I'm fully resigned to this. Our only chance is to get lucky in our playoff matchups.

That makes it a little easier, but still disappointing to see such potential squandered because not enough was done.

So So True. I like to call it “The Good Old Boy Club.”

And yeah it really is “Let’s Get Lucky” with these guys. That’s why I’ve had to manage expectations. They have proven they can’t be taken seriously.

I used to get all mad and call it media bias but I have learned the hard way it is well deserved!!

RashanGary
10-27-2020, 05:00 PM
Thanks man. FF is a homer cult...no dissent is ever allowed, even though the legitimate and nuanced critics of TT, MM, and Capers were proven correct.

I lean on the homer side of things. But, I like to hear people’s views, regardless of whether I agree. Nobody is really banned or punished for being anti-packer administration here. It’s probably 40% of the group, compared to most places where it is squashed out.

RashanGary
10-27-2020, 05:10 PM
Im a pretty big fan of the good ol boy club mentality. Banding and teaming up and sticking together, all those things feel good to me.

The league changes quite a bit year after year with officiating changes. Years ago they’d call penalties on the offensive rub routes, they called it OPI. Recently they’ve let just about all of it go. So man defense is a little tougher. And zone is becoming more effective a lot of times.

There are some disadvantages of sticking with the dinosaurs in that many of them don’t really adapt as quickly to the changes. You can’t run the same defenses if the officiating has changed and taken away the advantages of the old defense.

So there is a blend of youth, open mindedness, adaptability and conventional wisdom that all comes into play. At the end of the day, it’s a physical sport. Throwing a ball on point, making an open field tackle, tipping a football and preventing a pass. So much of it isn’t rocket science, but rather focus and a feel for spatial and physical things. So the dinosaurs do bring a lot to the table with keeping it simple and letting guys play ball vs making it too much of a chess match. Chess is sitting at a table with no physical edge unless you’re incapable of moving a piece. Football is very different from chess and needs some of that old fashioned common sense