PDA

View Full Version : John Ross Request Trade From Bengals

GB-Brandon
10-20-2020, 11:49 PM
He has the skill set we’re lacking and need. He has had some injury issues and not living up to when he was drafted but he has been stuck In Cincinnati so that could be part of it. He is Super Talented. I watched him a lot when he played for Washington and he can flat out fly and shift gears.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/john-ross-reportedly-requests-trade-seven-logical-landing-spots-for-bengals-wide-receiver/

GB-Brandon
10-20-2020, 11:54 PM
He can beat press coverage!!!

https://youtu.be/yrX0Q0kR5SM

Sign me Up!!!!!!!!

texaspackerbacker
10-21-2020, 06:55 AM
I'd be ok with this if he was cheap - 5th or 6th pick, absolutely no higher than 4th. I've always said, we don't need another WR, but undoubtedly he would be a step up from Shepherd, maybe even St. Brown. I hated the Funchess acquisition. If we're gonna get anybody, this is the kind of guy we should get.

I doubt it happens, though, for the same reason we didn't draft a speed WR - whatever the fuck that reason was hahahahaha.

Sparkey
10-21-2020, 07:21 AM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/platform/amp/by-the-numbers/2020/10/20/21522286/packers-trade-targets-john-ross-wide-receiver-bengals-no-thanks

Please NO.

run pMc
10-21-2020, 08:07 AM
That they wanted to move a top 10 pick to CB says it all. Nope.
Saw that Acme article yesterday and it's pretty convincing.

KYPack
10-21-2020, 10:15 AM
We already have John Ross. MVS is an almost exact replica of Ross. Except MVS is much more available to perform on the field. Ross is really known for one thing... he smoked a 40 at his combine. There is now way he can ever come close to his flashy combine 40 again. He rarely made the field in his Bengal career, we'd get the same kind of production.

Ross will be available in the off-season for no compensation, why trade a pick (even a 7) for him?

GB-Brandon
10-21-2020, 11:32 AM
Because we are lining up Darius Shepherd and EQ and have questions at TE. It would be an improvement. He has plenty of tape where he beats press man coverage which is where we struggle. Aaron Rodgers and this offense is obviously a much better situation then AndyDalton/Joe Burrow and the Bengals for him!!

GB-Brandon
10-21-2020, 11:33 AM
MVS is not John Ross. That article is FRAUD!!!

GB-Brandon
10-21-2020, 12:01 PM
MVS is 6’4 200ilbs

John Ross 5’11 195lbs

Not only are these players not even close in stature but Ross is a far superior athlete then MVS. Ross would be the fastest player on the team and is much more explosive then MVS as well. Ross has Elite short area quickness and burst. Now I’m not going to discount some of the problems Ross has had with the Bengals but once again we’re talking about the Bengals. I believe LaFluer could use him as a much more dangerous option then Ervin and also get something out of him in the passing game in the slot. We’re talking about “Chunk Plays” here. He has tape of beating “Press Man Coverage” and that is where we got exposed as we currently only have one man on the roster right now that can do that. It’s a big problem moving forward. We could also probably get Ross for cheap so it wouldn’t include “Mortgaging The Franchise” which seem to be like fight words with some Packer fans for whatever reason.

I think based on WHAT WE HAVE SHOWN WE NEED it’s a good gamble to get some help and bolster the offense with another weapon for LaFluer to scheme and help the offense against better defenses so it doesn’t get so bogged down. It’s clear that Darius Shepherd and EQ probably aren’t going to get us to promise land unless we get really lucky.

KYPack
10-22-2020, 08:13 AM
MVS is 6’4 200ilbs

John Ross 5’11 195lbs

Not only are these players not even close in stature but Ross is a far superior athlete then MVS. Ross would be the fastest player on the team and is much more explosive then MVS as well. Ross has Elite short area quickness and burst. Now I’m not going to discount some of the problems Ross has had with the Bengals but once again we’re talking about the Bengals. I believe LaFluer could use him as a much more dangerous option then Ervin and also get something out of him in the passing game in the slot. We’re talking about “Chunk Plays” here. He has tape of beating “Press Man Coverage” and that is where we got exposed as we currently only have one man on the roster right now that can do that. It’s a big problem moving forward. We could also probably get Ross for cheap so it wouldn’t include “Mortgaging The Franchise” which seem to be like fight words with some Packer fans for whatever reason.

I think based on WHAT WE HAVE SHOWN WE NEED it’s a good gamble to get some help and bolster the offense with another weapon for LaFluer to scheme and help the offense against better defenses so it doesn’t get so bogged down. It’s clear that Darius Shepherd and EQ probably aren’t going to get us to promise land unless we get really lucky.

If Ross were cut, I'd think about giving him a try out. Or if we had an extra 7 I'd interview the hell out of him and maybe give him a flyer. You are right, he's a small guy who plays tiny. He can beat press cover? Sometimes. Not when you need it.

He has all of the flaws of MVS, but few of the attributes. He has a bad attitude, not surly but lackadaisical. He never learned the playbook, constantly making errors that lead to benching. His hands are mediocre, good CB's can gobble him up if he doesn't whip him with that shake move of his.

I live in Cincy and had season tickets thru 19. Ross falls in line with a whole host of failed Bengal #1's

There is only one facet of Ross's game that does intrigue me. He is one of the best WR's I've ever seen at running an end line route. He can run along the back line of the end zone like a top water bug. The first time I saw him do it, I was amazed. Why he doesn't apply that kind of shake to the rest of his route running, I couldn't tell ya.

Except for that, what we have is as good or superior to John Ross.

Joemailman
10-22-2020, 08:27 AM
If Ross were cut, I'd think about giving him a try out. Or if we had an extra 7 I'd interview the hell out of him and maybe give him a flyer. You are right, he's a small guy who plays tiny. He can beat press cover? Sometimes. Not when you need it.

He has all of the flaws of MVS, but few of the attributes. He has a bad attitude, not surly but lackadaisical. He never learned the playbook, constantly making errors that lead to benching. His hands are mediocre, good CB's can gobble him up if he doesn't whip him with that shake move of his.

I live in Cincy and had season tickets thru 19. Ross falls in line with a whole host of failed Bengal #1's

There is only one facet of Ross's game that does intrigue me. He is one of the best WR's I've ever seen at running an end line route. He can run along the back line of the end zone like a top water bug. The first time I saw him do it, I was amazed. Why he doesn't apply that kind of shake to the rest of his route running, I couldn't tell ya.

Except for that, what we have is as good or superior to John Ross.That would seem to make him a real bad match with Aaron Rodgers.

GB-Brandon
10-22-2020, 09:18 AM

Except for that, what we have is as good or superior to John Ross.

Yeah, I have to admit there are some red flags with Ross. He isn’t the perfect solution by any means. I just think he might be able to be better at doing some of the things they ask Ervin to do and would also be a better option then having to play Shepherd as well. That’s kinda where I’m at with it.

SudsMcBucky
10-22-2020, 09:39 AM
I am all for getting AR another target via trade or FA acquisition, but John Ross is not someone I would include in that wish list.

GB-Brandon
10-22-2020, 10:01 AM
Ross was very effective in college at Washington being schemed into space. Getting him into open field and letting his natural ability take over. The Bengals run a very different type of pro style offense that hasn’t worked well for Ross or the Bengals. In the LaFluer system I think it could give some life to Ross’s career. I don’t like the MVS comparison at all. Maybe as deep ball weapons they are comparable but Ross possesses elite short area quickness and speed, something MVS just does not have. In the LaFluer system this is a much needed attribute and can be used in a variety of ways to get Ross in those situations where he is in open space with his elite speed and short area separation and quickness. You could create a much simpler and effective playbook for Ross in the LaFluer scheme maximizing Ross’s skillset no doubt! This is the thing I like about the LaFluer scheme so why we don’t have more players like Ross is a head scratcher to me.

Bill Belichick is a master at taking very talented players that were not successful in someone else’s system and making them All-Stars in his system and scheme. The Packers don’t need to be as good as Bill Belichick here but they need to do something.

KYPack
10-22-2020, 11:29 AM
Ross was very effective in college at Washington being schemed into space. Getting him into open field and letting his natural ability take over. The Bengals run a very different type of pro style offense that hasn’t worked well for Ross or the Bengals. In the LaFluer system I think it could give some life to Ross’s career. I don’t like the MVS comparison at all. Maybe as deep ball weapons they are comparable but Ross possesses elite short area quickness and speed, something MVS just does not have. In the LaFluer system this is a much needed attribute and can be used in a variety of ways to get Ross in those situations where he is in open space with his elite speed and short area separation and quickness. You could create a much simpler and effective playbook for Ross in the LaFluer scheme maximizing Ross’s skillset no doubt! This is the thing I like about the LaFluer scheme so why we don’t have more players like Ross is a head scratcher to me.

Bill Belichick is a master at taking very talented players that were not successful in someone else’s system and making them All-Stars in his system and scheme. The Packers don’t need to be as good as Bill Belichick here but they need to do something.

Actually, Ross is playing (or NOT playing) under a very similar system for the past two years. Bengal HC Zac Taylor is out of the Sean McVay tree. Ross has been a healthy inactive for most of the games. The Bengals WR core is actually superior to the GBP. An aging AJ Green, young star Tyler Boyd, and uber rookie Tee Higgins. Ross's agent correctly realizes Ross has no hope of cracking that line-up.

Could he help[ us? Maybe and a very weak maybe at that.

Ross has any number of physical issues to boot. He has problems with his knees and both shoulders. My magic 8 ball says NFW, but maybe yours reads differently.

run pMc
10-22-2020, 12:25 PM
I'm solidly with KY on this one. If he were any good, he'd be seeing more playing time. Tee Higgins passed him on the depth chart as a rookie, that's not a good sign for a vet.

If he were drafted at #9 by GB, we'd be calling him a bust and blaming Gute, TT, M3, MLF, and Murphy.

Ross is a great athlete, but not a great player. You can get away with that in college FB, but not in the pros.

GB-Brandon
10-22-2020, 04:26 PM
Actually, Ross is playing (or NOT playing) under a very similar system for the past two years. Bengal HC Zac Taylor is out of the Sean McVay tree. Ross has been a healthy inactive for most of the games. The Bengals WR core is actually superior to the GBP. An aging AJ Green, young star Tyler Boyd, and uber rookie Tee Higgins. Ross's agent correctly realizes Ross has no hope of cracking that line-up.

Could he help[ us? Maybe and a very weak maybe at that.

Ross has any number of physical issues to boot. He has problems with his knees and both shoulders. My magic 8 ball says NFW, but maybe yours reads differently.

Yeah, Bengals have weapons no doubt. I tend to agree with you about Ross. He is not my first choice but when I look at Ervin and Shepherd all the sudden Ross doesn’t look so bad is where I’m at with it.

GB-Brandon
10-22-2020, 04:29 PM
I'm solidly with KY on this one. If he were any good, he'd be seeing more playing time. Tee Higgins passed him on the depth chart as a rookie, that's not a good sign for a vet.

If he were drafted at #9 by GB, we'd be calling him a bust and blaming Gute, TT, M3, MLF, and Murphy.

Ross is a great athlete, but not a great player. You can get away with that in college FB, but not in the pros.

You are right. He was a huge reach and I thought so when he was drafted. Once again I’m putting this whole thing in the perspective of Darius Shepherd and Tyler Ervin and what if MVS were to suffer an injury. We have a lot of ball game left.

Ross is not my first choice but he would be easy to probably get and his contract expires at end of season.

bobblehead
10-22-2020, 06:59 PM
He has the skill set we’re lacking and need. He has had some injury issues and not living up to when he was drafted but he has been stuck In Cincinnati so that could be part of it. He is Super Talented. I watched him a lot when he played for Washington and he can flat out fly and shift gears.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/john-ross-reportedly-requests-trade-seven-logical-landing-spots-for-bengals-wide-receiver/

You baffle the shit out of me. You complain about guys like MVS and Lazard. I'll clear this one up for you. Ross has is in his 4th season. Has 733 career yards. Lazard has has 738 already. MVS has 1275. MVS has a season of 581. Lazard had 477 in his finish last year. Ross has managed a year of 506 and 210.

Getting boring dropping receipts on your dumb ass.

GB-Brandon
10-22-2020, 07:08 PM
You baffle the shit out of me. You complain about guys like MVS and Lazard. I'll clear this one up for you. Ross has is in his 4th season. Has 733 career yards. Lazard has has 738 already. MVS has 1275. MVS has a season of 581. Lazard had 477 in his finish last year. Ross has managed a year of 506 and 210.

Getting boring dropping receipts on your dumb ass.

MVS is a bum and Lazard is hurt.

Upnorth
10-22-2020, 10:07 PM
Ross is a substantial down grade from mvs from play and production on the field.

texaspackerbacker
10-22-2020, 10:11 PM
No, MVS is not a "bum" and Lazard won't be hurt for long, and he was damn good when healthy.

I'll backtrack on saying I wouldn't mind getting Ross for a 5th, no more than a 4th. Make that a 7th, no more than a 6th. If we brought him in, it wouldn't be to take snaps from Lazard or MVS, probably not even St. Brown or Taylor. It would be Ross versus Derrick Shepherd - who I don't dislike nearly as much as a lot of ya'all, but who sure doesn't run a 4.22 40.

GB-Brandon
10-23-2020, 12:25 AM
Ross is a substantial down grade from mvs from play and production on the field.

I think there pretty similar from a career production stand point. MVS has an edge but neither is lighting the world on fire. Ross is getting lost in the shuffle with a very talented receiving room and is upset and wants to be traded. MVS is being forced to play because Gute hasn’t done anything in three years to really fortify the receiving room. MVS wouldn’t be seeing the field in Cincinnati either. MVS is also only converting 50 percent of the balls thrown his way. Considering Aaron Rodgers is your QB that’s a pretty bad number.

He has had the luxury of three years in this system and basically given the role he is in. We are not where we need to be at this stage in the development with all the opportunities. If I had to choose with this system I’d take Ross. I think Ross gives your more options. That’s my opinion. You can have yours.

Once again Ross is not my first choice to address this by the trade dead line but he is an option. Regardless if you think he is better or worse then MVS he could prove to be valuable down the stretch with continued attrition.

GB-Brandon
10-23-2020, 12:35 AM
No, MVS is not a "bum" and Lazard won't be hurt for long, and he was damn good when healthy.

I'll backtrack on saying I wouldn't mind getting Ross for a 5th, no more than a 4th. Make that a 7th, no more than a 6th. If we brought him in, it wouldn't be to take snaps from Lazard or MVS, probably not even St. Brown or Taylor. It would be Ross versus Derrick Shepherd - who I don't dislike nearly as much as a lot of ya'all, but who sure doesn't run a 4.22 40.

They have no clear timetable for Lazard’s return. It could be November. It could be December. It could be next year. It’s been explained it’s a very delicate recovery process and depends on a lot of things but the fact that he plays receiver could make it harder to come back with it early. I’m not sure it would be wise to put all one’s eggs in that basket.

texaspackerbacker
10-23-2020, 12:57 AM
I basically agree with that, although I'm a little more optimistic than you about when he will return. That still would only move Ross up one notch, though, in terms of who he would be replacing. We're fine without him, although if he was cheap enough, it's worth considering to get him.

bobblehead
10-23-2020, 09:13 AM
MVS is a bum and Lazard is hurt.

Maybe, but he whipped Joe Louis (John Ross) ass.

bobblehead
10-23-2020, 09:16 AM
Alshon Jeffrey is being shopped. You want a busted up WR, take a shot on an alpha 6'4" guy who has produced whenever he is on the field. Perfect one season rental. Not sure on his contract situation going forward, but I would think you can always cut him after the year. He has warts as well, but philly has grown weary and I bet you get him for a 5th. He would immediately be a #2 on this team.

GB-Brandon
10-23-2020, 09:52 AM
I basically agree with that, although I'm a little more optimistic than you about when he will return. That still would only move Ross up one notch, though, in terms of who he would be replacing. We're fine without him, although if he was cheap enough, it's worth considering to get him.

I’m not being “Negative” about Lazard’s return. It’s a tricky injury and the Packers probably aren’t even 100 percent sure when he will be back. As it sits he is on injured reserve. It’s a wait and see.

GB-Brandon
10-23-2020, 09:54 AM
Alshon Jeffrey is being shopped. You want a busted up WR, take a shot on an alpha 6'4" guy who has produced whenever he is on the field. Perfect one season rental. Not sure on his contract situation going forward, but I would think you can always cut him after the year. He has warts as well, but philly has grown weary and I bet you get him for a 5th. He would immediately be a #2 on this team.

Im open for any move that improves our position on offense against the better defenses in the league and gives us a better chance.

texaspackerbacker
10-23-2020, 01:06 PM
Getting Alshon Jeffrey would be like getting Funchess - more of what we already have, and I seriously doubt he would be the team's #2 or anywhere near it. Ross, at least, would be something new - a real speed burner, and no, MVS is a different kind of player. The best comparison of Ross - if Ross can catch the ball anyway - is Will Fuller of Houston.

SudsMcBucky
10-23-2020, 01:41 PM
Getting Alshon Jeffrey would be like getting Funchess - more of what we already have, and I seriously doubt he would be the team's #2 or anywhere near it. Ross, at least, would be something new - a real speed burner, and no, MVS is a different kind of player. The best comparison of Ross - if Ross can catch the ball anyway - is Will Fuller of Houston.

Now Fuller is someone I could get on board with making some sort of trade offer for. Hell, Houston is in rebuild and they're about to lose him. Let's make a play, here!

run pMc
10-23-2020, 02:20 PM
Will Fuller >>> John Ross.

I wasn't a big fan of Fuller until this year, he's had some good games and is Watson's top WR over Cooks, Stills, or Cobb. After the Hopkins debacle they'd be dumb to lose him, and with O'Brien out of the picture who knows.

Ross has about the same catch rate as MVS.
I don't understand why Gute would be interested in Ross, he's a smaller guy with great straight line speed who can't get on the field. MVS has proven that you get in the doghouse if you can't run a route or catch the ball, we don't need two of those guys.

KYPack
10-23-2020, 02:46 PM
Will Fuller >>> John Ross.

I wasn't a big fan of Fuller until this year, he's had some good games and is Watson's top WR over Cooks, Stills, or Cobb. After the Hopkins debacle they'd be dumb to lose him, and with O'Brien out of the picture who knows.

Ross has about the same catch rate as MVS.
I don't understand why Gute would be interested in Ross, he's a smaller guy with great straight line speed who can't get on the field. MVS has proven that you get in the doghouse if you can't run a route or catch the ball, we don't need two of those guys.

Amen, my brother.

We ain't gonna get Fuller in any trade that I can imagine.

Should Gute trade for Fuller, Deandre Hopkins, and Travis Kelce to round out our receiving corp?

Sure, that is just as likely to happen

SudsMcBucky
10-23-2020, 03:22 PM
Amen, my brother.

We ain't gonna get Fuller in any trade that I can imagine.

Should Gute trade for Fuller, Deandre Hopkins, and Travis Kelce to round out our receiving corp?

Sure, that is just as likely to happen

Fuller is a FA after this year and Houston is going nowhere this year. They'd be better trading him for a pick than him just walking after the year.

Joemailman
10-23-2020, 05:35 PM
I’m not being “Negative” about Lazard’s return. It’s a tricky injury and the Packers probably aren’t even 100 percent sure when he will be back. As it sits he is on injured reserve. It’s a wait and see.

Might be looking up though.

Lazard (abdomen) went through a pre-practice stretch with the Packers' rehab group during Wednesday's practice, Wes Hodkiewicz of the Packers' official site reports.

Lazard can't officially rejoin the Packers for practice since he isn't yet eligible to return from injured reserve, but his involvement with the rehab group is at least a tangible sign of progress for the wideout. He was initially projected to miss about a month after undergoing core-muscle surgery earlier in October, so Lazard could have an outside shot at being ready to play as soon as Week 9, when Green Bay travels to San Francisco for a Thursday night game.

GB-Brandon
10-23-2020, 05:45 PM
Well Bucc’s are signing AB it looks like. We’re gonna need more then Lazard!!!

GB-Brandon
10-23-2020, 06:27 PM
Tampa preparing for Kansas City!!!

GB-Brandon
10-23-2020, 06:56 PM
We’re sitting here talking about John Ross and Tampa signing Antonio Brown. OMG!!! #LETTHEMANPLAY

https://youtu.be/HHp_RlLgTkg

bobblehead
10-24-2020, 11:53 AM

No. Alshon is a great WR who is a malcontent that can't stay healthy. Get him for a 12 game run to end a season and through the playoffs and it could work out very well. You can't give up much for him though as he is just as likely to get hurt again and be nothing but a payroll sop.