PDA

View Full Version : A simplified look at the Packers offense as it relates to salary cap

RashanGary
10-24-2020, 09:31 AM
Estimated cap of 180M with roughly half going to offense or 90M

Rodgers cap hit 36
Adams cap hit 16
Turner 8
Wagner 6

That's 66M, leaving 24 for the rest of the Offense. 20 other guys at 1M per year average means we have 4M to sign Bakhtiari.

What to do?

RashanGary
10-24-2020, 09:37 AM
Options include

Restructure Rodgers down to 25M or so
Cut turner and/or Wagner
Adams isn't much of an option to resign/restructure as it wouldn't go down very much)
Let Bakh go and cross your fingers

Bakhs early year's on a deal could be as low as 12M. That would make for a really ugly late part of his deal. You can keep Bakh, Rodgers and Adams as your 3 high paid vets or you could restructure Rodgers, which would allow for 1 more higher paid player, probably Wagner or Turner.

Outside of completely decimating the OL, there isn't a lot of room for Jones or another high paid WR.

Development from cheap young guys is at a premium.

RashanGary
10-24-2020, 10:07 AM
Due to the covid shake up, Bakh is among the top players who are going to be out there for the cap healthy teams to scoop.

The Packers losses will be minuscule compared to the saints, Eagles, Steelers, Rams, Chiefs, and Texans. Those teams will be making wholesale changes, cutting and letting go upper to top tier players. The entire NFL flips next year. Packers should still be a contender, but the above listed teams will be bottom dwellers and new team's, like the jags, dolphins, giants and Patriots will take over their spots near the top.

RashanGary
10-24-2020, 10:13 AM
Jags, Colts, Patriots, Ravens, Dolphins, Giants (have some easy cuts to open up a sweet spending spree during the all time great FA class of 2021.), chargers, Seahawks and buccaneers..... these are the teams that are gonna add some HOFers or borderline HOFers to their rosters with ease.

Joemailman
10-24-2020, 10:54 AM
Jags, Colts, Patriots, Ravens, Dolphins, Giants (have some easy cuts to open up a sweet spending spree during the all time great FA class of 2021.), chargers, Seahawks and buccaneers..... these are the teams that are gonna add some HOFers or borderline HOFers to their rosters with ease.

Colts are an interesting one. Good team now, tons of cap space, but both their QB's will be UFA's after this year. They would have the money to make a run after Dak Prescott.

Joemailman
10-24-2020, 11:03 AM
Estimated cap of 180M with roughly half going to offense or 90M

Rodgers cap hit 36
Adams cap hit 16
Turner 8
Wagner 6

That's 66M, leaving 24 for the rest of the Offense. 20 other guys at 1M per year average means we have 4M to sign Bakhtiari.

What to do?

Wagner is likely gone. Save 4.2 million which is slightly more than you save by cutting Turner. Or maybe you cut them both. I've changed my tune on Jenkins a little bit. Keeping him at LG might be a luxury they can't afford. They might need to move him to LT or RT so they can plug someone inexpensive like Runyan at LG.

texaspackerbacker
10-24-2020, 11:11 AM
There really shouldn't be any reason why we can't keep Aaron Jones, Linsley, and yes, even ya'all's sacred cow, Bakhtiari. I would not be at all surprised if the cap ends up being considerably higher than the $180 million you figured, but for discussion, I will accept that number.

First of all, there is no absolute need to split it 50/50 between O and D.

Absolutely we should restructure Aaron Rodgers - as I said in the other thread, not only to save cap space, but also to make certain we keep him for a lot more years than some people are talking about. And doing that ought to bring his number down way below 25 million for the first year - a big bonus spread out over 6 or 7 years with a very small first year salary. Cutting Wagner and/or Turner - preferably both by your figures would save 14 million. Cutting Preston Smith would save another 9, I think. Altogether, that would be around $50 million less than what you projected. That should certainly be sufficient.

We would then still have Rodgers, A. Jones, D. Adams, our current O Line intact except maybe Runyan at RT (figuring Patrick at RG), and our current other WRs and TEs. That ain't bad.

On D, we would need to replace P. Smith and maybe Kevin King, otherwise not much change. We would have a full draft to help fill the holes.

R E L A X, people, this simply ain't the crisis some are making it out to be.

texaspackerbacker
10-24-2020, 12:05 PM
Sifting through the info I could find on Aaron Rodgers' contract, it seems like there is still about $60 million owed of the $133 million through 2023. If that he was extended to let's say 2028, and if he got let's say a bonus of $80 million, he could be paid, let's say, $2 million salary in 2021, $18 million in '22, $20m in '23 and '24, $25m in '25, '26, and '27, and then $35m in 2028, a grand total of $210 million - with the possibility of letting him retire at age 43 and saving that final $35m with only $10m of dead money.

That would be a cap hit of just $12 million next year, and $10 million above his salary for the proration of the bonus for the other years.

Any objections? hahahahaha