PDA

View Full Version : PACKER REPORT.COM LIKES THE SIGNING OF K-ROB.

gbpackfan
09-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, at least one of their reporters do. A refreshing look at the K-Rob signing. One that I happen to agree with.

Thompson puts neck on the line by signing Koren Robinson

By Todd Korth

Posted Sep 12, 2006

Do the Green Bay Packers have anything to lose by signing troubled wide receiver Koren Robinson? Not really, but PackerReport.com's Todd Korth explains the risk that Packers general manager Ted Thompson is taking on.

A national radio talk show host chuckled when his partner read the news this morning that the Green Bay Packers have signed Koren Robinson.
‘Koren Robinson goes to the home of beer. Now that makes sense,’ he said.

For the record, Milwaukee, about a two-hour drive south of Green Bay, is affectionately known as "Beer City." But there are plenty of bars in Green Bay and a few micro breweries.

That talking head, as well as other so-called football experts from around the country are not giving Robinson much chance of staying out of trouble in Green Bay. With good reason, too. He was caught for drunken driving at his last two stops – Minnesota and Seattle. And those are the times that he was officially caught by police. There is probably a good chance that he was out driving around under the influence and didn't get arrested.

Robinson may be an alcoholic. He did admit that he is seeking treatment for alcohol abuse to help cure his possible disease. He’s taken one step in the right direction. Now he’s trying to get on with his football career by hooking up with Packers general manager Ted Thompson. The two have known each other since their days in Seattle when Thompson was the Seahawks director of player personnel and Robinson was the team’s first-round draft pick in 2001.

Since then, Robinson has had some ups and downs in his NFL career. The wide receiver/kick returner has all kinds of talent, but he has tarnished his image by diving head first into the bottle. He’s a legitimate threat on the field, and certainly off of it – when he’s drinking and driving.

Robinson told reporters Monday evening that he is not a “bad guy at all,” and that he’s trying to put his troubles behind him. Hopefully for his and his family’s sake, he’ll follow through on those words.

Right now, he’s covered under the umbrella term of “Packer People.” He’s good enough to be on the Packers, as long as he doesn’t mess up. But isn’t that how it goes for most athletes in the National Football League, or for that matter, any other sport. And if Robinson does mess up and test positive for a substance again, then what happens? He won’t be a member of the Packers, and won’t be in the league – period.

By signing Robinson, the young and playmaker-less Packers have nothing to lose. If he helps the Packers as a kickoff returner or receiver, great. If not, or if he gets in trouble again, the only person it will affect is Thompson.

Thompson has put his reputation on the line big-time by signing Robinson. If the move backfires, Packers fans will be talking about it for a long time. If the move works out, Thompson will get the credit, though, not as much than if it blew up in his face.

Ex-general manager Ron Wolf did the same in 1996 when he signed Andre Rison for the stretch run of the season and playoffs. Rison, at the time, was no choir boy, but Wolf’s move worked out. Wolf took on all the risk.

In this case, Thompson is taking on the risk in the face of his reputation as a GM. But it’s not a knee-jerk reaction due to Sunday’s loss to the Chicago Bears. Thompson has been in conversations with Robinson over the past week. They both have talked quite a bit about this situation. In a way, they are both tied together at the hip. They both feel like they can make it work in Green Bay where it failed in Minnesota and Seattle.

Time will tell. Only God knows what the outcome will be for Robinson.

“I’m all about new beginnings, new starts,” Robinson said. “Maybe in Minnesota, God was telling me I’m not supposed to be there. Now I’m here in Green Bay. It’s a new chapter in my life, and I’m just trying to stay focused on football and go down the right path.”

So far, it appears to be a very good

Todd Korth, PackerReport.com

SkinBasket
09-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Thompson has put his reputation on the line big-time by signing Robinson. If the move backfires, Packers fans will be talking about it for a long time. If the move works out, Thompson will get the credit, though, not as much than if it blew up in his face.

I completely disagree with this assesment. First, how can the move "backfire?" As he points out several times before this in the article, the Packers have nothing to lose. Unless you consider taking game reps away from Gado a bad thing - in which case you should promptly just curl up and die for the betterment of humanity. Who's going to blame TT for at least trying to improve what is considered by many the absolute worst special teams in the NFL?

Second, no one will talk about it "for a long time." They'll be too busy talking about the myriad of other problems facing the Pack now and in the future. If it works, people will be happy, if it doesn't, well we're no worse than we started. That would be damn near impossible.

Rastak
09-12-2006, 04:41 PM

I completely disagree with this assesment. First, how can the move "backfire?" As he points out several times before this in the article, the Packers have nothing to lose. Unless you consider taking game reps away from Gado a bad thing - in which case you should promptly just curl up and die for the betterment of humanity. Who's going to blame TT for at least trying to improve what is considered by many the absolute worst special teams in the NFL?

Second, no one will talk about it "for a long time." They'll be too busy talking about the myriad of other problems facing the Pack now and in the future. If it works, people will be happy, if it doesn't, well we're no worse than we started. That would be damn near impossible.

I admit the only downside is in public relations. There's no risk at all football wise....

MJZiggy
09-12-2006, 04:43 PM
I think he's referring to the possibility that Robinson hurts someone or worse. In that case, he's suggesting that TT's neck would be on the line for it.

SkinBasket
09-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I admit the only downside is in public relations. There's no risk at all football wise....

Even as far as PR goes, TT can always be played up as the father figure trying to give one of his favorite picks one last chance at redemption by the person who believes in him the most. Unless someone actually gets injured or dies as a result of bringing him into town, I really don't see how anyone would blame TT for Koren throwing away what is essentially his second "last chance."

mission
09-12-2006, 04:44 PM
yeah i didnt get that either.

"so... bob. remember when ted thompson signed that karen or koren robinson guy who played two games, averaged 22 yards per kick return, had three catches and then didnt play again because he was drinking margaritas in his backyard. yeah, man, if it wasnt for that we'd be in a super bowl right now. ted thompson ruined our franchise. for whaT?!@? fucking margaritas... christ."

gbpackfan
09-12-2006, 04:45 PM
TT will take a PR hit if K-Rob gets all jacked up again and leads GBPD on a chase down Oneida!

Gado and Herron are the worst return men in the league! I have said this over and over and stand by it. Signing K-Rob helps A LOT! We now have one of the best KR men in the league.

mission
09-12-2006, 04:47 PM
I think he's referring to the possibility that Robinson hurts someone or worse. In that case, he's suggesting that TT's neck would be on the line for it.

i guess on the line for hurting or killing a green bay resident rather than one from another city..... i suppose.

because if he's going to do something stupid, he's going to do something stupid regardless of ted thompson. if anything, and i dont fully understand alcoholism (although i have my own vices), him getting cut and never back in the league drives him to insanity, semi-automatic guns in his car and grey goose... hey, maybe ted thompson ends up being the hero :rollseyes:

MJZiggy
09-12-2006, 04:49 PM

Even as far as PR goes, TT can always be played up as the father figure trying to give one of his favorite picks one last chance at redemption by the person who believes in him the most. Unless someone actually gets injured or dies as a result of bringing him into town, I really don't see how anyone would blame TT for Koren throwing away what is essentially his second "last chance."

You really need to send this to the team. (they may just hire you on the spot.) Pure genius.

Rastak
09-12-2006, 04:54 PM

i guess on the line for hurting or killing a green bay resident rather than one from another city..... i suppose.

because if he's going to do something stupid, he's going to do something stupid regardless of ted thompson. if anything, and i dont fully understand alcoholism (although i have my own vices), him getting cut and never back in the league drives him to insanity, semi-automatic guns in his car and grey goose... hey, maybe ted thompson ends up being the hero :rollseyes:

That's true but there is zero chance it happens in Green Bay without TT signing him. I think most residents can figure that out.

KYPack
09-12-2006, 04:54 PM
For the record, Milwaukee, about a two-hour drive south of Green Bay, is affectionately known as "Beer City." But there are plenty of bars in Green Bay and a few micro breweries.Todd Korth, PackerReport.com

If Todd Korth can get from Green Bay to Milwaukee in two hours, I'd like to be the first to ask him if I can borrow his car.

privatepacker
09-12-2006, 05:19 PM
The problem w/ not signing K-Rob is that we are so void of talent that in two yeras, assuming he will be suspended for 1-year, he could be our best WR. We need talent and he has it. We may just have to wait for it to happen.

Tony Oday
09-12-2006, 06:12 PM
TT will take a PR hit if K-Rob gets all jacked up again and leads GBPD on a chase down Oneida!

BS!!!! The GBPD will cart his drunk arse out to a field knock him around a bit and then bring him home and say they will report him if he doesnt score twice in the next weeks game and to CALL THEM if he needs a rid ;) hehe j/k

Sparkey
09-12-2006, 09:45 PM
For the record, Milwaukee, about a two-hour drive south of Green Bay, is affectionately known as "Beer City." But there are plenty of bars in Green Bay and a few micro breweries.Todd Korth, PackerReport.com

If Todd Korth can get from Green Bay to Milwaukee in two hours, I'd like to be the first to ask him if I can borrow his car.

Hmmm, its 58 minutes to GB from Sheboygan and 54 minutes to Milw from Sheboygan.

Thats less than two hours. Want to borrow my Ax ?

MJZiggy
09-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Hey, Tony? Just noticed that maybe your sig needs a bit of an edit...

Zool
09-13-2006, 08:01 AM
Maybe he meant once more to the beach?

KYPack
09-13-2006, 09:26 AM

Hmmm, its 58 minutes to GB from Sheboygan and 54 minutes to Milw from Sheboygan.

Thats less than two hours. Want to borrow my Ax ?

I measured it from GB to Oshkosh Oshkosh to GB.

It's the only way I used to go, so I fgured it 2 1/2 hours.

Maybe that was fucked up.

Guiness
09-13-2006, 10:09 AM

Nah - his car is WAY slower than Charlie Peprah's - that's the one you want!

A one hour drive from Milwaukee and I found myself in my new hometown of Green Bay at 12:40 a.m.

ahaha
09-13-2006, 10:42 AM
“I’m all about new beginnings, new starts,” Robinson said. “Maybe in Minnesota, God was telling me I’m not supposed to be there. Now I’m here in Green Bay. It’s a new chapter in my life, and I’m just trying to stay focused on football and go down the right path.”

???????????????????
God didn't want him in Minnesota, so God had him drive drunk and take the cops on a high speed 15 mile chase? This was part of God's plan to get him to Green Bay? What kind of twisted deity does this guy believe in? Take responsibility for your actions and leave God out of this, he doesn't need this kind of bad publicity.

MJZiggy
09-13-2006, 10:44 AM
I missed that phrase when I heard that interview. If God wanted him in GB, wouldn't he have had him sign last time he was here?

Fosco33
09-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Brett on the signing....

From Packers.com:

Robinson already has the support of quarterback Brett Favre, who welcomes the talent of another potential 1,000-yard receiver and can relate to some of Robinson's personal battles.

"I think it's a positive move," Favre said. "On the field, he can really help our football team, let's face it. His credentials speak for themselves; he's a Pro Bowler.

"As far as off the field, and this is coming from someone who's been through some of the same issues, I think everyone deserves another chance. I think this is a good place for him. He'll have a good, built-in support system and there are a lot of people here, like Ted, who know him well.

"You can become better, and on top of that he can help our football team win."

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Favre, Winters, Robinson - the new three amigos

Fosco33
09-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Favre, Winters, Robinson - the new three amigos

Chewy? Many Madtown sightings of those guys w/ young ladies....

Tony Oday
09-13-2006, 11:32 AM
dont forget Verba hung with them aswell