PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Herb Adderley

Joemailman
10-30-2020, 11:55 AM
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2020/10/30/hall-fame-green-bay-packers-cornerback-herb-adderley-dies-81/1690023002/

Herb Adderley wasn’t the most famous of the “Glory Years” Green Bay Packers who won five NFL championships for coach Vince Lombardi in the 1960s.

But he probably was as good as, if not better, at his position than the other 10 Pro Football Hall of Famers from those Packers teams.

Adderley, who died Friday at age 81, was one of the NFL’s all-time great cornerbacks. He was first-team All-Pro five times in his nine seasons with the Packers and also was a member of the NFL’s 1960s all-decade team. He played on all five of Lombardi’s championship teams and was a key member of the outstanding defenses that were the strength of the final three of those title winners (1965-67).

“(Adderley) was the best I played with,” said former Packers linebacker Dave Robinson, a fellow Hall of Famer who joined the team in ’63. “I played with a lot of guys.”

Freak Out
10-30-2020, 01:22 PM
Another great gone. RIP

QBME
10-30-2020, 06:40 PM
I'm in the age bracket in which Herb was one of my earliest football recognitions. Great memories.

As I recall he actually ended with the Cowboys.

Most profound memory was an NFL films clip describing him. The summation was "he rarely made a tackle below the jawline". Would never work today.

RIP #26 (I think).