PDA

View Full Version : Other Games Week 10

George Cumby
11-13-2020, 12:47 PM
Colts were impressive last night.

Oilers looked poorly coached and unmotivated.

run pMc
11-14-2020, 04:16 PM
Colts went for it on 4th down a LOT. Was kind of an interesting game.
If the Packers secondary doesn't line up close and press the receivers Pettine is an idiot. Rivers has less of an arm than Brees and loves throwing short. There won't be much accurately thrown over 15 yards by him. Colts have a good OL, so coverage will need to be solid. They also have a good defense that will give Rodgers trouble...and they have a mini bye to prepare.

Joemailman
11-14-2020, 06:22 PM
Bills CB Josh Norman tests positive. That's a big loss going up against Arizona.

HarveyWallbangers
11-15-2020, 04:25 PM
Niners playing the Saints tough, but the Saints getting a lot of big, questionable calls since I started watching.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-15-2020, 06:29 PM
Mr. Hyde just allowed Hail Mary!

What an abomination, that Mr. Hyde.

Joemailman
11-15-2020, 06:39 PM
Drew Brees has a rib injury that forced him from game.

Joemailman
11-15-2020, 07:16 PM
Cardinals win on Hail Murray.

George Cumby
11-15-2020, 11:06 PM
Collingsworth and Al Michaels gushing over what A Leader Cam Newton has become. That's the narrative, I guess. Dunno' if I'm buying what they are selling.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-16-2020, 07:43 AM
Cardinals win on Hail Murray.

It was a good throw by Murray and a great catch by Hopkins. But everyone and their baby’s mamas seem to have forgotten that, prior to that damn play, the Notre Dame first answered Jeff Janis’ call. Janis made a similar catch on that very damn field!

Because McCarthy was ball-less and refused to go for two, paving the way for Thompson draft bust D-Rand to fuck up in OT, nobody remembers Jeff Janis.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-16-2020, 08:11 AM
Btw, today I learned that there’s a Christian Kirk and a Christian Kirksey in the NFL.

The latter didn’t allow a pass in the middle against the Jag-fucks. Yes, Luton threw a bullet for 6 up the guts between 3 Packers, including Kirksey, but that one was on Burks.

Take heed, Tex! Kirksey ain’t Jesus Warner, but he covers better than Martin Krys and Kamal Barnes.

texaspackerbacker
11-16-2020, 10:24 AM
He also missed a lot of tackles on that runt, Robinson. Sorry, but I'd still take Barnes, Martin, or even Summers even if the money was the same, and the money ain't even close to the same.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-16-2020, 11:22 AM
He also missed a lot of tackles on that runt, Robinson. Sorry, but I'd still take Barnes, Martin, or even Summers even if the money was the same, and the money ain't even close to the same.

Watch the films, yo. Kirksey had a “solid” game. Didn’t see him miss any tackles. Unlike Barnes vs the Queens, where he attacked wrong gaps after wrong gaps, Kirksey was gap solid. Robinson had daylights cos the DL was bullied all day.

Most importantly, the middle of the field wasn’t naked for opponents to pick via the air. Big upgrade from Barnes and Martinez, both of whom can’t cover worth a fuck.

run pMc
11-16-2020, 03:01 PM
I actually agree with APB on this one - Kirksey wasn't bad vs. the Jags, and the DL got shoved around against a decent OL. (Their OL is probably their best group, and they are probably ranked in the 12-18 range).
Kirksey costs a chunk, but it's not awful...certainly when compared to Martinez. Ty Summers and Burks miss a lot of tackles and are not good in coverage. Barnes and Martin -- if healthy -- will be looked at as the future, likely augmented with additional draft depth/UDFAs. I'm not sure they keep Kirksey with his injury history, a shrinking cap, and Pettine's use of a safety at an ILB spot.

Part of the problem is Kenny Clark gets doubled, and there's nobody else on the DL to make an offense pay for it. You could argue that Lowry is overpaid and Lancaster does everything he does cheaper. The other thing is the Smiths (especially Z) gamble like Clay used to, and will run themselves out of a play or expose a gap. It's highlight film stuff if the gamble works, but it's not sound defense. Gap integrity, discipline, and tackling... they don't do these well, and that's why their run D sucks. Leads me to wonder about the coaching.

Joemailman
11-16-2020, 03:17 PM
Part of the problem is Kenny Clark gets doubled, and there's nobody else on the DL to make an offense pay for it. You could argue that Lowry is overpaid and Lancaster does everything he does cheaper. The other thing is the Smiths (especially Z) gamble like Clay used to, and will run themselves out of a play or expose a gap. It's highlight film stuff if the gamble works, but it's not sound defense. Gap integrity, discipline, and tackling... they don't do these well, and that's why their run D sucks. Leads me to wonder about the coaching.I think it's the scheme. Good teams seem to have little trouble exploiting what the Packers do defensively.

HarveyWallbangers
11-16-2020, 03:46 PM
The other thing is the Smiths (especially Z) gamble like Clay used to, and will run themselves out of a play or expose a gap. It's highlight film stuff if the gamble works, but it's not sound defense. Gap integrity, discipline, and tackling... they don't do these well, and that's why their run D sucks. Leads me to wonder about the coaching.

Big Z seems to be worse than Preston, but not as bad Clay. Preston has actually made quite a few plays where he holds up the outside.

Cheesehead Craig
11-16-2020, 09:58 PM
Dear heavens, the Bears offense is brutal.

George Cumby
11-16-2020, 10:15 PM
Dear heavens, the Bears offense is brutal.

Bears defense as scary as the offense is insipid.

Vikes win and looked more balanced doing so.

Joemailman
11-16-2020, 10:30 PM
I would think Nagy has to be gone after this year. They are wasting a great defense.

Cheesehead Craig
11-17-2020, 07:37 PM
I would think Nagy has to be gone after this year. They are wasting a great defense.

I would love to swap defenses and DCs with Chicago.

texaspackerbacker
11-17-2020, 07:47 PM
Bottom line, the Bears still suck. The message of that game and likely the Bears season when all is said and done, is that it's a helluva lot tougher/less likely to win with a top level defense and mediocre or low level offense than it is the other way around. The old mantra about defense winning championships is not very often true.

Joemailman
11-17-2020, 08:05 PM
I would love to swap defenses and DCs with Chicago.

Another guy out there is Dan Quinn. He was the DC at Seattle when they went to Super Bowls in 2013 and 2014.

Bretsky
11-17-2020, 09:30 PM
Another guy out there is Dan Quinn. He was the DC at Seattle when they went to Super Bowls in 2013 and 2014.

yup

Great Defensive Coordinator; lousy head coach. Sign me up for this bus

run pMc
11-18-2020, 07:36 AM
Drew Brees has a rib injury that forced him from game.

I'm hearing broken ribs and a collapsed lung. Yikes.

run pMc
11-18-2020, 07:44 AM

Yeah, the Chicago D is pretty good. On a related note, is Vic Fangio on the hot seat? Wouldn't be against him as a DC hire. Quinn might be ok too.
As for Nagy, it really depends on how they finish. They had the hot start, and fading out of the playoff picture would be a bad look. I wonder with COVID and injuries if they give him another year. The Fords and McCaskeys have generally been pretty loyal with their coaching hires.

SudsMcBucky
11-18-2020, 10:21 AM
yup

Great Defensive Coordinator; lousy head coach. Sign me up for this bus

I live in the ATL, so I've seen a lot of DQ D's up close and personal for a while. My issue with him is when he was in Seattle, he had top flight talent all over the board on his D and he could just turn them loose out there without really needing to scheme much. He tried to do the same thing in Atlanta and the D's have been pretty bad to just ok as he hasn't had that overwhelming talent he had in Seattle.

texaspackerbacker
11-18-2020, 10:51 AM
Great D Coordinators are generally the product of great defensive personnel, and poor ones are usually the product of poor or mediocre personnel.