PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo - Packers vs. Jaguars

Joemailman
11-15-2020, 03:25 PM
Kinda like stealing candy from a baby.

Defense came through for the most part. Only gave up 13 points.

Scott's peeformance a real concern.

MVS really came through.

Joemailman
11-15-2020, 03:41 PM
For now, Packers #1 NFC Seed. Go Rams!

beveaux1
11-15-2020, 04:06 PM
They're a playoff team, but they have issues. Defense can't stop the run. Offense has only 2 playmakers.

Pass rush is spotty. Seems a little worse than last year.

On the other hand, they have OL depth. ILB players look better than last year.

Rodgers seems to have bought into the system. RB depth is great..Head coach appears to know how to win.

Maybe the 3rd or 4th best team in the NFC at the halfway point.

Joemailman
11-15-2020, 04:10 PM
LaFleur said last 2 defensive stops 1st time team really came alive. Not happy with team cohesion.

beveaux1
11-15-2020, 04:16 PM
This team really needs the #1 seed. One less game gives us a much better chance to win a championship.

Not a good chance, but a much better chance.

run pMc
11-15-2020, 04:17 PM
Boy howdy, that JAX D was feisty today. Inconsistent, but physical and they challenged a lackadaisical GB team and almost got a W. They were physical and tackled pretty good -- GB didn't break many tackles. If they had a better offense they woulda pulled out a win. It was pretty apparent James Robinson was going to get heavy usage and they still had trouble stopping him. JAX OL isn't bad, but still.
If you asked a stranger to identify which one of those defenses was ranked 31st, what percentage of the time do you think they'd have said it was GB?

I realize I'm complaining after a win; an ugly win is still a win. I'm just disappointed at how flat GB looked at times today. That can't happen against the Bears.

Joemailman
11-15-2020, 04:21 PM
With the exception of the Tampa Bay game, this team has played better on the road than at home.

smuggler
11-15-2020, 04:26 PM
Thought Rodgers erred on the side of mustard rather than touch in this game. I think the pick-6 against Tampa is the precursor event.

Joemailman
11-15-2020, 04:27 PM
Gute says Bakhtiari extension actually gives hem more flexibility going forward. Has to be a backloaded contract.

run pMc
11-15-2020, 04:32 PM
With the exception of the Tampa Bay game, this team has played better on the road than at home.

Road teams actually have a winning record this year - it would seem there is no home field advantage.
Speaking of the field, a lot of slipping out there today, mostly by JAX.

HarveyWallbangers
11-15-2020, 04:34 PM
It was ugly at times, but I figured with that wind it would be a grinder. Jags are well coached and play tough. Considering they lost the turnover battle and gave up a long punt return TD, it was understandably close. Move onto next week and hope to get Jaire, Lazard, and King back. I'm really hoping there are no major wind games in the playoffs. I like the team, but they probably don't play run defense well enough to win it all. Too bad we didn't get Snacks or Tomlinson.

RashanGary
11-15-2020, 04:46 PM
Gute says Bakhtiari extension actually gives hem more flexibility going forward. Has to be a backloaded contract.

More flexibility than a franchise tag, sure

Anti-Polar Bear
11-15-2020, 04:50 PM
It was ugly at times, but I figured with that wind it would be a grinder. Jags are well coached and play tough. Considering they lost the turnover battle and gave up a long punt return TD, it was understandably close. Move onto next week and hope to get Jaire, Lazard, and King back. I'm really hoping there are no major wind games in the playoffs. I like the team, but they probably don't play run defense well enough to win it all. Too bad we didn't get Snacks or Tomlinson.

Get Poe on a plane to GB immediately!!! Howard Green was too fat for the Jets but was fine and dandy in the Green and Gold. I could see history repeating with ole Poe.

Joemailman
11-15-2020, 05:46 PM
More flexibility than a franchise tag, sure

Right. Gute's comment suggests that letting Bakhtiari walk out the door was never a consideration. They would have franchised him if they couldn't agree to an extension.

beveaux1
11-15-2020, 06:34 PM
I think they’ll franchise Jones for around $11 million next year. The others will have to see what money we might have left.

Joemailman
11-15-2020, 07:24 PM
Rodgers with 149.31 passer rating when targeting MVS today.

texaspackerbacker
11-15-2020, 10:52 PM
I'll take winning ugly. It kept occurring to me that this was the kind of game a McCarthy team would lose.

anybody else get a few chills when it went to 4th and 26?

texaspackerbacker
11-15-2020, 10:55 PM
A back loaded Bakhtiari contract would be ideal. Keeping Jones with a franchise tag is an option, but I think he has more than one more good year in him, so I'd like to see him re-signed otherwise.

Question: regarding a franchise tag for Linsley, does that get calculated on other Centers? Or on all offensive linemen?

Upnorth
11-16-2020, 08:13 AM
Get Poe on a plane to GB immediately!!! Howard Green was too fat for the Jets but was fine and dandy in the Green and Gold. I could see history repeating with ole Poe.

They need to look at almond Sewell out of the CFL. He has been the league's best dt 5 times. He is doing nothing right now as CFL isn't playing. He may not be anything special in the NFL but we are bad enough they need to try everything.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-16-2020, 08:31 AM
They need to look at almond Sewell out of the CFL. He has been the league's best dt 5 times. He is doing nothing right now as CFL isn't playing. He may not be anything special in the NFL but we are bad enough they need to try everything.

Packers could use any immovable fat guy to clog the A, B, C, D gaps. Clark, Adams, Keke and the Northwestern Milksops, et al, all get bullied out of position with ease, opening up titanic running lanes for undrafted rookie RBs to dash through.

RashanGary
11-16-2020, 09:16 AM
A back loaded Bakhtiari contract would be ideal. Keeping Jones with a franchise tag is an option, but I think he has more than one more good year in him, so I'd like to see him re-signed otherwise.

Question: regarding a franchise tag for Linsley, does that get calculated on other Centers? Or on all offensive linemen?

A back loaded contract is the only option. And so are any other contracts that may be signed.

smuggler
11-16-2020, 10:07 AM

Does this include the interception? 4 of 6, 149 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 109.7 Passer Rating

StPaulPackFan
11-16-2020, 10:11 AM
I'll take winning ugly. It kept occurring to me that this was the kind of game a McCarthy team would lose.

anybody else get a few chills when it went to 4th and 26?

I noticed before they called the timeout Pettine had them lined up in a 3 man front. After the timeout they had a four man front. I may be off base, but I think LaFleur may have stepped in and told Pettine "No freaking way are you running that soft front so he has all day to find an open receiver!"

IMO, Pettine's defense is way too soft. He rarely sends extra rushers to put pressure on the QB. DB's are often lined up way too far off the LoS, even in short yardage situations. They just always seem to be on their heels. I wouldn't be sad if he is replaced at the end of the year, or sooner.

Joemailman
11-16-2020, 10:17 AM
Does this include the interception? 4 of 6, 149 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 109.7 Passer Rating

Forgot MVS was the target. 109.72.

Joemailman
11-16-2020, 10:20 AM
I noticed before they called the timeout Pettine had them lined up in a 3 man front. After the timeout they had a four man front. I may be off base, but I think LaFleur may have stepped in and told Pettine "No freaking way are you running that soft front so he has all day to find an open receiver!"

IMO, Pettine's defense is way too soft. He rarely sends extra rushers to put pressure on the QB. DB's are often lined up way too far off the LoS, even in short yardage situations. They just always seem to be on their heels. I wouldn't be sad if he is replaced at the end of the year, or sooner.

Largely agree with the criticism of Pettine. However, I'll give him a pass on yesterday. With Alexander and King out, I think they were playing softer than normal. D.J. Chark is a real deep threat.

texaspackerbacker
11-16-2020, 10:33 AM
Yeah, one thing I like about Pettine is that he does tend to blitz a decent amount. However, yeah also, yesterday without Jaire and against a rookie QB was the exception. Playing not to give up the big play was smart.

Good observation too about going to a four man front or at least a fourth pass rusher. Good things tend to happen when both Smiths and Gary are in there together.

Joemailman
11-16-2020, 11:03 AM
I thought the punt return was just the result of a terrible line drive punt. That was part of the problem. But there was also a total breakdown in gap integrity.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Em4xcx2WMAE8AWE?format=jpg&name=small

run pMc
11-16-2020, 11:16 AM
I can see the logic in making a rookie quarterback read coverage vs. blitzing, especially with backup corners. It would have made some sense to send more pressure on obvious passing downs, or at least do some "exotic" things Pettine is supposedly known for.
What has started to drive me crazy is seeing the outside corners lined up 7-8 off the WR. You're basically begging them to throw short and hoping the corners don't fly past with a bad arm tackle attempt. It felt like the Jags tackled much, much better than I've seen GB do this year.

Overall the defense didn't play terrible; they played the run better in the 2nd half but I continue to be disappointed in their performance overall. Their pass rush sacks and pressures are way down from last year and they are a poor run defense. I don't know what they do well right now, and I don't think they play sound, physical defense. For the contracts and draft picks they have on the defensive side of the ball it feels like they are underachievers.

run pMc
11-16-2020, 11:22 AM
I thought the punt return was just the result of a terrible line drive punt. That was part of the problem. But there was also a total breakdown in gap integrity.

Yeah I saw that during the replay of the return during the broadcast. Henry Black was the gunner and ran past Cole, and then there was a lane that the Jags had well blocked up. I'm wasn't sure if they had something specific setup with their return blocking or if that was just poor play by GB (or both), but that was a big lane for Cole to run through and pick up a head of steam. I think Ty Summers was the only one really in a position to make the tackle, and he blew it (because of course he would).

One thing I wonder about is why teams have the gunners sprint like crazy all the way down the field; you'd think they'd slow down or fake out the coverage guy once they get within 5 -10 yards of the returner so they don't blow right past him. It seemed like Henry Black was 7-8 yards past Cole when he made the catch... how is in any position to make a play (unless they assume Scott is kicking it past Cole)?

Freak Out
11-16-2020, 01:24 PM
Hollman played well.

Joemailman
11-16-2020, 02:02 PM
Hollman played well.

I think they have seen enough from Hollman and Jackson that they will let King walk in FA.

HarveyWallbangers
11-16-2020, 02:05 PM
Gary with 7 pressures on just 22 pass rushing snaps. Big Z with 5. Preston with 4.

Joemailman
11-16-2020, 02:19 PM
Gary with 7 pressures on just 22 pass rushing snaps. Big Z with 5. Preston with 4.That last series he had a sack, a pressure that led to a sack by P. Smith, and a pressure that forced an incompletion. He played just 48% of snaps. Now that he's healthy, perhaps he needs to play more.

RashanGary
11-16-2020, 02:30 PM
That last series he had a sack, a pressure that led to a sack by P. Smith, and a pressure that forced an incompletion. He played just 48% of snaps. Now that he's healthy, perhaps he needs to play more.

Making Preston look expandable. I don't think 2021 is the time to cut Preston. You could cut Preston and afford to bring back fackrell, keep montravious and keep Lowry. Three solid veteran depth pieces over Preston all day!

run pMc
11-16-2020, 03:09 PM
Making Preston look expandable. I don't think 2021 is the time to cut Preston. You could cut Preston and afford to bring back fackrell, keep montravious and keep Lowry. Three solid veteran depth pieces over Preston all day!

If I cut Preston, I do it to keep Aaron Jones, not to keep Lowry or Mountravenous. Bringing Fackrell back would be interesting, but I doubt they do it. The guy is like 30 years old already, and they like Garvin.

I agree they let King walk in FA unless he's willing to take a prove it deal. His injury history is going to scare a LOT of teams. Either way, they should draft another CB for depth, unless they think Perry Nickerson or Stanford Samuels is a future starter.

Upnorth
11-17-2020, 10:28 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Em4xcx2WMAE8AWE?format=jpg&name=small

Now that is some awesome classic packers special teams!

bobblehead
11-17-2020, 10:32 AM
They're a playoff team, but they have issues. Defense can't stop the run. Offense has only 2 playmakers.

Pass rush is spotty. Seems a little worse than last year.

On the other hand, they have OL depth. ILB players look better than last year.

Rodgers seems to have bought into the system. RB depth is great..Head coach appears to know how to win.

Maybe the 3rd or 4th best team in the NFC at the halfway point.

LOL. 3rd best in NFC? Has clown shoes hacked your account? We are the one seed and deserve it. 3rd best in NFL I can buy.

bobblehead
11-17-2020, 10:34 AM

Aging QB no longer dominant in the cold and wind...where have I seen that before?

bobblehead
11-17-2020, 10:36 AM

I said it in the gameday thread. The offense runs through MVS.

All joking aside though, when teams hunker down to stop the run and a safety has to shade to Adams, a bomb to MVS is always going to get single coverage. If he punishes defenses then this offense is brutal.

Joemailman
11-17-2020, 10:40 AM
Aging QB no longer dominant in the cold and wind...where have I seen that before?

It seems to me in the cold weather the opponent has been better at running the ball and stopping the run than the Packers. Rodgers significantly outplayed the opposing QB in both cold weather games.

bobblehead
11-17-2020, 10:40 AM
I think they have seen enough from Hollman and Jackson that they will let King walk in FA.

With how cheap FA market will be next year, I hope we can land King or similar on a 5 year deal that will look like a bargain by year 3.

bobblehead
11-17-2020, 10:42 AM

I said once before. A very bold GM would cut bait with all heavily paid players save the core and bargain shop the market. With a falling cap the final year of Preston looks way over priced. Cherry picking talent that can't get paid big bucks could lead to a really strong roster.

bobblehead
11-17-2020, 10:44 AM
It seems to me in the cold weather the opponent has been better at running the ball and stopping the run than the Packers. Rodgers significantly outplayed the opposing QB in both cold weather games.

Well...Rodgers outplays the opposing QB in all conditions. The gap is larger in warm weather. But I'm mostly kidding. Rodgers isn't the problem. The offense isn't the problem. We need better run D and they only have 7 weeks to figure it out.

RashanGary
11-17-2020, 06:09 PM
I said once before. A very bold GM would cut bait with all heavily paid players save the core and bargain shop the market. With a falling cap the final year of Preston looks way over priced. Cherry picking talent that can't get paid big bucks could lead to a really strong roster.

The dead money would offset any savings. Think about that too.

RashanGary
11-17-2020, 06:13 PM
Bobble, go look at the giants roster on sportrac. They have high priced cuts in the last years of their deals with low dead money. They’re absolutely gonna do it.

It’s only a 15% cap drop so a 15% savings. If you pay 30 million in dead money, you have to add that into whatever new contracts you sign. It’s not that simple for the Packers.

But for the Giants it’s a no brainer. Solder has dead money but he’s garbage. The other couple guys have almost no dead money. They’re gonna strip down and load up exactly like you say. We can’t cuz we strip down and still have almost nothing because of the dead money.

Depending on the length of the COVID affect, I could easily see that happening after 2021 though. Low dead money. Opens up nice contracts going forward.

Zool
11-18-2020, 07:46 PM

If Jackson is starting anywhere but Burger King next year, I’ll sign up to get Gates fired. He’s quite terrible.