PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Jones, Lindsley and King

RashanGary
11-19-2020, 10:54 PM
Jones
Williams/Dillon gonna take the RB load. Improvement from Lazard and Tonyan should help ease the drop off by improving the passing game. Shouldn't feel it too badly.

Lindsley
Patrick slides to center, Runyan to guard. Should be fine

King
Alexander and Sullivan are pretty good. Gonna need improvement from the 3, 4 and 5 spots. Draft hopefully

Draft needs gonna start with corner. Then probably ilb, DL, OL and wr come next

texaspackerbacker
11-20-2020, 01:00 PM
You persist in this shit hahahaha. RG, normally I love your posting, but you are wrong here - at least in the Aaron Jones part.

Take Linsley first: assuming the amount to pay on a franchise tag would be based strictly on Centers and not all O Linemen, it should be doable to keep him that way. But yeah, if worst came to worst, we could get by without him and not be much worse off (I'd say the same for Bakhtiari hahahaha).

Secondly, King: I don't care if he does go somewhere (although I'm open to being proved wrong if he comes back and really stands out the rest of the season). Alexander is as good as any Corner in the league. Sullivan is at least ok. Josh Jackson isn't nearly as bad as detractors in here try to claim. And Hollman seem to do ok also. Just the same, I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers use a first or second round pick to see if we can find another gem like Alexander.

Lastly, Aaron Jones: Yeah, Williams is ok and probably Dillon too, but IMO the Packers offense takes a major step in the wrong direction if they let Jones go. We just don't need a couple of plodders as a change of pace. We need to pass first and most, and then have a breakaway back as our alternative. That is what we have in Jones, a top 2 or 3 RB in the league with an attitude and character which is pretty hard to find in RBs. He is "Packer People" - in addition to being exactly the right kind of back we need on the field.

Joemailman
11-20-2020, 01:12 PM
All offensive linemen have the same franchise tag - around 14 million. Expected to be just under 11 million for RB's.

texaspackerbacker
11-20-2020, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the info, Joe. I had been wondering about that. Our best option then would seem to be a back loaded contract- or actually let him go like so many are seemingly wanting to do.

run pMc
11-20-2020, 03:12 PM
I'd love to keep Jones; IDK if it can be done. His durability, the short careers of most RBs, and the ability of teams to find quality RBs outside the top 50 in the draft makes it questionable. So does the $11M franchise tag. The Packers are low on playmakers, and he's one of... I'll say 3 (Rodgers, Adams being the others) that they have. His playmaking won't be replaced, but his production might be - by committee with more of Dillon and Williams. Problem is, I think that would greatly diminish the offense unless they can find more skilled pass catchers to help Adams. I could see them drafting a back and letting Williams walk too, but he's such a dependable (and likely affordable) guy and a solid backup it makes sense to keep him if you can.

Linsley is playing at an All-Pro level and he deserves to get paid but they can get by with Patrick or maybe Jake Hanson (I assume they drafted him to replace Linsley) in there, especially if they have good players at each G spot. I think he's got 2 good years left, and some team will get a good C, and GB will get a decent comp pick.

King is probably gone unless he comes back on a cheap one year deal. He's a very good #2 CB and could be a #1 CB for some teams if healthy; he almost never is and I think it's his body type. I don't see the injury tendencies going away as he ages. They'll draft someone to take his place unless JJ/Hollman or a PS guy makes a jump.

texaspackerbacker
11-20-2020, 03:38 PM
Is the top end for comp picks where the guy was originally drafted? Which would mean a 6th rounder for Linsley. Ditto that for Aaron Jones - 5th or 6th. King could be a #2 as a comp pick, but that's unlikely based on his performance, etc..

RashanGary
11-20-2020, 03:57 PM
That’s not how comp picks works. That’s a restricted free agent tender.

It goes on salary.

Probably a 3rd or 4th for jones
A 4th or 5th for Lindsley
Between 4th and 6th most likely for King

Best guess would be 2 4ths and a 5th.

Joemailman
11-20-2020, 04:01 PM
Is the top end for comp picks where the guy was originally drafted? Which would mean a 6th rounder for Linsley. Ditto that for Aaron Jones - 5th or 6th. King could be a #2 as a comp pick, but that's unlikely based on his performance, etc..

No. Comp picks are based mainly on how much money the guy signs for.

bobblehead
11-21-2020, 01:27 PM
This is the year to let guys walk and shop the discount rack to fill needs. Locking up Bak makes sense as bookend LT is just too important and difficult to fill. Clark is young and had to be done. But nearly anyone else is replaceable.

smuggler
11-21-2020, 04:51 PM
They must really like the thought of Williams and Dillon. You'd think they would after spending 4th and 2nd round picks on them respectively.

RashanGary
11-21-2020, 05:56 PM
This is the year to let guys walk and shop the discount rack to fill needs. Locking up Bak makes sense as bookend LT is just too important and difficult to fill. Clark is young and had to be done. But nearly anyone else is replaceable.

We’re over the cap. Cutting z, Preston and Amos would allow us to sign maybe two guys of their quality because their cuts come with 25+M in dead money.

RashanGary
11-21-2020, 05:57 PM
The dead money is more than the 15% discount, bobble. That’s bad math.

RashanGary
11-21-2020, 05:58 PM
There are some teams with easy, low dead money cuts or a ton of space who are in the position you seem to think we are tho.

Bretsky
11-21-2020, 06:39 PM
I'm not convinced Jones is gone

He's one of our Big 3

Losing him would hurt way more than most think

RashanGary
11-21-2020, 07:08 PM
I'm not convinced Jones is gone

He's one of our Big 3

Losing him would hurt way more than most think

Maybe not. They could find a way to mess with the cap a bit and keep him probably. But Williams will be cheap! So.......

Fritz
11-22-2020, 07:45 AM
How ha Kadar Hollman looked?

RashanGary
11-22-2020, 07:53 AM
We could replace king with a case of Gatorade and we’d have a bigger advantage. Literally.

Upnorth
11-22-2020, 09:09 AM
When king plays he is goodish. Is he even a 50% healthy player?

Joemailman
11-22-2020, 01:42 PM
King is not as bad as some on here think. But neither is Josh Jackson, and he and Hollman have capably replaced King.

RashanGary
11-22-2020, 03:22 PM
King is not as bad as some on here think. But neither is Josh Jackson, and he and Hollman have capably replaced King.

King was playing against Brees, Matt Ryan, Cousins and stafford.

Jackson had a rough go against Brady, cousins and Watson. He looked better against the last two rookies

Bretsky
11-22-2020, 04:18 PM
Maybe not. They could find a way to mess with the cap a bit and keep him probably. But Williams will be cheap! So.......

I don't want to say Williams is a J.A.G but we can replace what he gives us every year with a draft pick if we choose. Perhaps with a cost effective FA as welll

GB-Brandon
11-22-2020, 07:57 PM
I don't want to say Williams is a J.A.G but we can replace what he gives us every year with a draft pick if we choose. Perhaps with a cost effective FA as welll

I agree. Just about every team has a J. Williams. As usual RG overvalues anyone that has a “G” on his helmet.

Guiness
11-22-2020, 08:20 PM
nevermind

RashanGary
11-23-2020, 08:08 PM
I didn’t see a scenario where cutting Preston would make sense after this year before the season started. But boy, it’s becoming likelier by the week. Gary has been our best pass rusher the last couple weeks and Preston has had an awful season.

Cut Preston, Wagner and Kirksey and Jones is an easy fit. I wonder what kind of deal he’d take. 10M/ season maybe? Might as well do it now and take the axe out when the season is over to make that space.

RashanGary
11-23-2020, 08:10 PM
I’d sign Jones tonight if it was me. King and Lindsley obviously would have to go. And we’d have to take the axe to a bunch of aging and so/so performing players. But the season has shown enough new information to make a solid decision right now imo.

texaspackerbacker
11-23-2020, 08:21 PM
+1 to that, RG.

I've soured on the importance of Linsley, and I've said all along, King isn't worth any big money.

GB-Brandon
11-23-2020, 08:22 PM
I’d sign Jones tonight if it was me. King and Lindsley obviously would have to go. And we’d have to take the axe to a bunch of aging and so/so performing players. But the season has shown enough new information to make a solid decision right now imo.

Let them all Fucken go. Jones, Lindsley and King. Bye Bye Preston too!!

This offense needs to be revamped a bit differently. Need more physicality in run game. Dillon is more the style of back LaFluer desires. You used a second round pick on him so he needs to play. You can’t just Fucken draft dudes with top picks and not play them. Doesn’t work that way when you hardly do anything else to build the roster. The $ can be used elsewhere. Like another perimeter weapon!!!

GB-Brandon
11-23-2020, 08:24 PM
Will Fuller wants to come to Green Bay. I expect him to be a serious FA target!!

Both Gary and Dillon have to play next year. That’s how it works!!

RashanGary
11-24-2020, 12:54 PM
+1 to that, RG.

I've soured on the importance of Linsley, and I've said all along, King isn't worth any big money.

For sure man. You saw that a mile away when I didn't. I might have seen the Lindsley thing a touch quicker. But who knows, Jones coulda got Eddie lacy fat and Preston could have come in looking line zeus and Linsley could have somehow upped his play and the whole thing coulda been different.

I did not envision Preston making the Jones contract so possible with his bad play and seemingly easy cut. I loved Gary’s brute strength combined with his length coming out. But after him not really putting it together last year, I worried about that. Both; the Preston decline and the Gary improvement make cutting Preston and keeping Jones a lot more advantageous to the whole.

This situation definitely makes me realize that waiting a little bit before making long term decisions is wise. New information definitely makes long term decision making more effective.

RashanGary
11-24-2020, 01:02 PM
You know what else is crazy.... Last year if we were to rank the free agent signings in order of best to worst, it would have probably been; Z, P, Amos and then Tunstile. This year, although Z has stayed up there in performance, his salary is becoming a cinder block with the up coming Covid free agent frenzy.

In hindsight, the best move would have been to sign Amos, Turner and Fackrell for cheap. That way we would be going into the free agent sweepstakes with tons of money and probably be the favorites to win a SB over the next couple years.

We kind of traded away a true front runner championship caliber team for two years of playoff relevance. Nobody could have saw this coming though so I don’t hold Gute accountable. Had the cap not gone down for 3-4 years, Preston would be the only probable mistake.

GB-Brandon
11-24-2020, 03:29 PM
You know what else is crazy.... Last year if we were to rank the free agent signings in order of best to worst, it would have probably been; Z, P, Amos and then Tunstile. This year, although Z has stayed up there in performance, his salary is becoming a cinder block with the up coming Covid free agent frenzy.

In hindsight, the best move would have been to sign Amos, Turner and Fackrell for cheap. That way we would be going into the free agent sweepstakes with tons of money and probably be the favorites to win a SB over the next couple years.

We kind of traded away a true front runner championship caliber team for two years of playoff relevance. Nobody could have saw this coming though so I don’t hold Gute accountable. Had the cap not gone down for 3-4 years, Preston would be the only probable mistake.

In hindsight when you consider Gute’s drafts and everything he is a Giant Failure being held up by the guy he tried to Fuck.

This level and form of EVIL is just disgusting!!!

The Karma coming will be grueling to say the least!!

GB-Brandon
11-24-2020, 03:39 PM
You have a guy right now like Will Fuller that wants to come to Green Bay as a free agent. This is because of one reason and it
has nothing to do with “Raising the G” or any of that bullshit!! The motivation is wanting to play with Rodgers and the chance of legitimately winning a Super Bowl. A chance at “Greatness.”

You remove Rodgers from the equation and nobody is going to want to come here. The Front office has completely wasted years of having the main “selling piece” of attracting Grade A players to Green Bay. They have completely failed to market it correctly like a bunch of Dolts. The only way in the future will be to pay them twice as much as anyone else. Add the miserable and failing way they draft and this is a LOSING FRANCHISE without 12.

GB-Brandon
11-24-2020, 03:43 PM
Way bigger problems coming then Lindsley, Jones, and King. LOL.

RashanGary
11-25-2020, 07:25 PM
Evil :lol:

Ok, calm down Karen. Its just football!

Upnorth
11-26-2020, 12:33 PM
Interesting and relevant to this thread

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2020/11/25/21719684/is-aaron-jones-past-his-prime-already-heading-into-a-contract-year

texaspackerbacker
11-26-2020, 01:51 PM
It's worth considering, but I think bogus. The fairly obvious reason why Aaron Jones' numbers declined a tiny bit is that he's no longer catching anybody by surprise. Teams are gaming to stop him. This just illustrates the fallacies of this analytics thing that they make such a big deal about.

Upnorth
11-26-2020, 01:55 PM
I think our line has a lot to do with it in non short yardage situations. We need a different short yardage style. 1 yard should not be so hard to get. I thought That was why we would be using dillion a bunch this year.

texaspackerbacker
11-26-2020, 02:09 PM
I like the way Jones can adjust and find a hole even in short yardage. He also does a good job of getting low. Those things are usually just as beneficial the brute power that Dillon has. Dillon getting more carries would make up for losing Jamal Williams - if we lose him. No way either Dillon or Williams would be an adequate replacement for Aaron Jones, though.

Tony Oday
11-26-2020, 02:24 PM
I hope the sign Sanu to compliment Adams.

RashanGary
11-26-2020, 02:33 PM
I think our line has a lot to do with it in non short yardage situations. We need a different short yardage style. 1 yard should not be so hard to get. I thought That was why we would be using dillion a bunch this year.

So true. We'd be better off calling plays like it was 2nd and 10. Just call a normal play and let AR have that freedom to take the short one more often.

RashanGary
11-26-2020, 02:34 PM
Plus, so many huge plays would come from calling a normal play. Probably the same conversion percentage with 6x odds of a big play.

RashanGary
11-26-2020, 02:35 PM
After enough soul crushing big plays, teams would soften up on run defense in those situations too.