PDA

View Full Version : Packers projected 2021 draft priorities

RashanGary
11-20-2020, 09:45 AM
Cap losses:
Aaron Jones, Kevin King, Corey Lindsley

Cuts:
Wagner, Kirksey, Preston (save 18M in cap space)

That's a lot of solid veteran pieces departing in one offseason. Most good team's with tight salary caps are gonna lose a bunch too. So it's gonna be league wide changes.

Offense
QB - Low priority
RB - Re-sign Williams 4m/year. Dillon cheap. Moderate priority
WR - Re-sign Davante, Lazard, MVS. Develop Malik. Moderate priority
TE - Tonyan, Mercedes, Deguara injury recovery season, Sternberger might bust with his god awful pass protection getting 12 killed. Moderate priority
OL - Bakh, Jenkins, Patrick, Runyan, Turner. Mid/high priority

Defense
Safety - Amos/Savage, Redmond, Greene - moderate priority as Amos could play ILB if a good one fell to us
ILB - Barnes/Martin. Mid/high priority
OLB - Z/Gary. Mid/High priority
DL - Re-sign Adams cheap. Clark/Keke, Lowry, Adams, Lancaster. Mid/High priority
CB - Alexander, Sullivan

Punter - should probably draft one

Summary
CB - top priority

OLB, DL, ILB, OL - mid/high priorities

Safety, TE, WR, RB - moderate priority

QB - Low priority

2021 ain't looking as good as 2020 because we’re bound to lose a whole bunch of veteran pieces. However, most of the good teams will lose as many or more players. The bad teams should get much better as they have tons of money to spend. 2021 will be a really weird year in the NFL.

texaspackerbacker
11-20-2020, 01:24 PM
There you go again with the losing Aaron Jones stuff hahahaha - but I agree, Corner is probably the top priority.

GB-Brandon
11-20-2020, 02:26 PM
Yeah. Go back to drafting corners again in the first round. “Continue the Insanity”

call_me_ishmael
11-20-2020, 03:14 PM
Yeah. Go back to drafting corners again in the first round. “Continue the Insanity”

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/articles/view/draft-status-of-the-2018-season-pro-bowl-selections

The data does not support you on this one.

run pMc
11-20-2020, 03:17 PM
Jaire Alexander has worked out 'insanely' good so far for them.

I think they go big with DL and OT early, WR and CB in the mid-to-late rounds. Maybe cut Kirksey and draft another Day 3 ILB, and a RB too.
No way I pay Jamaal Williams 4M a year. I'd be ok with $4M for 2 years.

Of course, they never do exactly what I think they'll do. LOL

Joemailman
11-20-2020, 03:36 PM
Williams is making just a little over 2M right now. Only about 20 RB's in the NFL make 4M or more. He won't get that. Probably 2-2.5 million.

smuggler
11-20-2020, 08:01 PM
Corner is absolutely the #1 need, but the first pick will probably be DL.

bobblehead
11-21-2020, 01:07 PM
1st-Best RB available. Likely to be Ettienne
2nd-Best Player available. Ditto the rest of the way.

GB-Brandon
11-22-2020, 09:47 AM
http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/articles/view/draft-status-of-the-2018-season-pro-bowl-selections

The data does not support you on this one.

They drafted Kevin King and Alexander with top picks.

Just because Demarious Randall and Rollins and Dix(Safety) and Josh Jones(Safety) aren’t on the team doesn’t mean they haven’t drafted the secondary high.

The main point being until they solidify the front seven then continuing to build the defense from back to front is FUCKEN INSANITY!!!

YES!!!! They have been doing this for years!!! If you want to build a defense then

No. 1 FIX YOUR BROKEN SCHEME.

No. 2 Get some nasty Grown men upfront that can disrupt!!!

Otherwise just continue to talk INSANITY about some corner. LOL!!!

GB-Brandon
11-22-2020, 09:51 AM
Unless your plan is to find and draft a Jalen Ramsey there is no corner that is going to make this defense any better under the current structure. It’s just laughable!!!!

GB-Brandon
11-22-2020, 09:59 AM

They just drafted Dillon? So give up on him already? Geez.

GB-Brandon
11-22-2020, 10:04 AM
They don’t have a single receiver under contract past 2021. Not only is it an overall team weaknesses, they also contractually aren’t set up. It is much more then a “Moderate Concern.” Only an idiot would think otherwise based on the facts!!

RashanGary
11-22-2020, 10:22 AM
Receiver is one one the more stable positions on the team. Adams (if you plan for re-signing,) Lizard and MVS are an upper tier threesome. Defense is a bigger concern.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-22-2020, 10:36 AM
Jaire Alexander has worked out 'insanely' good so far for them.

I think they go big with DL and OT early, WR and CB in the mid-to-late rounds. Maybe cut Kirksey and draft another Day 3 ILB, and a RB too.
No way I pay Jamaal Williams 4M a year. I'd be ok with $4M for 2 years.

Of course, they never do exactly what I think they'll do. LOL

I will disavow my Packer fandom if Gutekunst drafts 2 fat guys with his first 2 picks.

My preliminary 2021 My Mastery Mockery of a Draft:

Rd/Pos
1. WR
2. WR
3. ILB
4. CB
5. WR
6.WR
7. QB

Joemailman
11-22-2020, 10:50 AM
Receiver is one one the more stable positions on the team. Adams (if you plan for re-signing,) Lizard and MVS are an upper tier threesome. Defense is a bigger concern.

When healthy, having Adams, Lazard, Funchess and MVS 1-4 is better than a lot of teams. Funchess opting out this year is an underrated bad break for this team. He is under contract for next year.

GB-Brandon
11-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Rodgers makes trash receivers look decent. Give him something better and the offense will be unstoppable. They haven’t drafted one in 3 years. After making an attempt to trade for one at the dead line I’m pretty sure they will draft one in the first couple rounds. But then again it’s Brian Gutekunst so the bar is very very very low.

The defense has talent. Needs some more help on the front seven with a change in attitude and a new D coordinator and a scheme fix. To just continue to draft premium picks and athletes and plug into a flawed system would be continued failure. But that seems to be Protocol!!!

run pMc
11-22-2020, 12:21 PM
I will disavow my Packer fandom if Gutekunst drafts 2 fat guys with his first 2 picks.

Rd/Pos
1. WR
2. WR
3. ILB
4. CB
5. WR
6.WR
7. QB

Careful - it might happen. I could easily see them taking a DL in R1 and an OT in R2, with Wagner and Lowry cap casualties.

I know they like big receivers because they can give you more on run blocking, and also a bigger catch radius. I'd like to see them take a look at some smaller, shiftier types -- a human joystick type who can do what Tyler Ervin does (run routes, return kicks) but do it better. They also need more dynamic playmaker types on offense. I know they don't hold up as well, but there's still a place for a WR like that who could give you up to 5-7 seasons of starter WR level play.

It's generally been a good offense this year, but Adams is aging and Jones could be gone next year. If they decide to move on from Rodgers (which would be a mistake based on how he's played this year) then Jordan Love/the next QB will need more weapons to succeed.

Funchess was a decent get, but I see him as he's basically Lazard but will worse catch rate. You can win with him but as I don't see him as a difference maker (unless you're comparing him to Malik Taylor).

texaspackerbacker
11-22-2020, 12:55 PM
I didn't like the Funchess signing from the beginning. If he ever sees the field for the Packers, he should be behind Adams, Lazard, MVS, Taylor, and probably St. Brown.

As for the draft, the Packers, for better or worse, always seem to draft ahead of potential players leaving the roster. That doesn't narrow it down much this year, though. I think/hope they take a Corner in the first. I doubt they take an O Lineman early, but a D Lineman or pass rushing OLB is very possible - my best guess for the 2nd round. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them take a RB in the 3rd or 4th.

SudsMcBucky
11-23-2020, 09:31 AM
They badly need some badass DL to wreak havoc. Then WR, OL, and ILB.

GB-Brandon
11-23-2020, 09:42 AM
They badly need some badass DL to wreak havoc. Then WR, OL, and ILB.

This is what I see being the best remedy.

GB-Brandon
11-23-2020, 09:43 AM

Ettiene probably isn’t making it to the Packers. I would bet on that.

GB-Brandon
11-23-2020, 09:44 AM
I’ve already got a bunch of great prospects I’ve been following.

GB-Brandon
11-23-2020, 09:47 AM
They have to fire Pettine though!!!

RashanGary
11-23-2020, 01:35 PM
Ilb and corner are tops on my needs list. Keep montravious too. He's developed into a decent player and would be cheap.

RashanGary
11-23-2020, 01:45 PM
Jeremiah Owusu would be nice. I also really like Raven Greene as a nickel backer.

Sullivan/Alexander
Amos/Savage
Barnes/Owusu

That's a lot of speed. And then instead of going true nickel, it's easy to go Owusu/Greene at LB and you have a really fast nickel with some size still.

RashanGary
11-23-2020, 01:55 PM
Nick Bolton might be better. A true linebacker.

Bolton/Barnes as a base group
Bolton/Greene as the hybrid group

We need a savage-ass beast mode kinda guy in there.

GB-Brandon
11-23-2020, 02:51 PM
Nick Bolton might be better. A true linebacker.

Bolton/Barnes as a base group
Bolton/Greene as the hybrid group

We need a savage-ass beast mode kinda guy in there.

They need a complete revamp of the middle of the defense from front to back and have for ten years. What your saying has been posted a hundred thousand times now across the internet.

The Packers front office is at “Failed State” status. They wouldn’t draft the right guy if he was right in front of their fat faces!!

GB-Brandon
11-23-2020, 02:57 PM
The Packer offense needs serious upgrades too. They rely on favorable match ups against certain defenses. They can’t impose shit if they get in a game against a defense that is physical that can play fast. In that type of game they immediately become inconsistent and one dimensional.

The only chance this team had was to get the bye and get lucky and play the likes of the Eagles and the Seahawks and maybe the Saints and luck their way in. If they run into any defense that is fast/physical then the smoke & mirrors stops immediately and gets exposed.

It’s a true front runner fraud show all the way around!!

Remove Rodgers from the equation and it’s not even a playoff team.

RashanGary
11-25-2020, 07:21 PM
God, you're such a retard. How would you know what the answer is :lol:

GB-Brandon
11-25-2020, 07:36 PM
God, you're such a retard. How would you know what the answer is :lol:

Well that’s where it’s at and how embarrassing this whole thing is that basically a “retard” could figure this thing out and supply the remedy to the situation.

The Bar Is VERY VERY LOW here. Can you jump 6 inches? Can you add 2+2? Can you walk and chew gum at the same time?

GB-Brandon
11-25-2020, 07:39 PM
Brian GuteKunst has done just about everything that went against what the obvious thing was to do trying to look like some kind of genius and all he looks like now is a Fucken Bafoon!!!

RashanGary
11-25-2020, 07:41 PM
Just relax dude!!! It's not that bad!

Bretsky
11-25-2020, 09:16 PM
Ilb and corner are tops on my needs list. Keep montravious too. He's developed into a decent player and would be cheap.

I've kinda given up hope for ILB and tend to agree with Wist and GB just does not value the position after they passed on Patrick Queen last year. Every year we think ILB is a priority but the brass at GB does not

GB-Brandon
11-25-2020, 09:31 PM
I've kinda given up hope for ILB and tend to agree with Wist and GB just does not value the position after they passed on Patrick Queen last year. Every year we think ILB is a priority but the brass at GB does not

You lasted longer then me. I gave up at Denzel Perryman!!

I’ve posted all over this forum and have had this discussion everywhere. The Packers have attempted for the last ten years to build this defense from the “Outside In and Back to Front” and its been a Giant Disaster. They have tried to replicate what they could do when then had Nick Collins and Charles Woodson and they have failed. Even then though they had Desmond Bishop and he was underrated in coverage. Cullen Jenkins was a good player too that doesn’t get talked about much when he played well.

The Packers were “Fast and Physical” in the middle of the defense with these guys is the bottom line and they haven’t been since. Once again I hate to sound like a broken record player but the front office has failed to get the RIGHT GUYS to make our defense FAST AND PHYSICAL in the middle of the defense. They have been too Fucken busy scouting Northwestern and Vanderbilt and The Pac 10 to build their front seven which was the first mistake!!

GB-Brandon
11-25-2020, 09:38 PM
Once you become FAST AND PHYSICAL IN THE MIDDLE then your talented outside guys can win and thrive and look like superstars!!

2+2 = 4. Walk and Chew Gum at the Same Time. This shit isn’t that hard!!

GB-Brandon
11-25-2020, 09:42 PM
If they would of drafted Jeffery Simmons and we had him next to Kenny Clark about 70 percent of our defensive problems would be gone!!

But Noooooooo!! Gute had to get involved in the “Underwear Olympics.”

GB-Brandon
11-25-2020, 09:57 PM
I saw something in Savage against the Colts on a nice break up. That was big league. Savage can continue to be developed and I think we have something to work with. However I believe we need to replace Amos. He has completely fallen off from his play level over the last 3-4 years. Amos is trending in the wrong direction.

RashanGary
11-25-2020, 11:39 PM
If they would of drafted Jeffery Simmons and we had him next to Kenny Clark about 70 percent of our defensive problems would be gone!!

But Noooooooo!! Gute had to get involved in the “Underwear Olympics.”

I stumped for Simmons. I watched full game tapes. He didn't flash. He knocked his guy back every play. In defense of Gary, Gary knocked his guy back consistently too. Every down.

RashanGary
11-25-2020, 11:41 PM
My belief is DT is.tbe hardest position to fill in football. Especially if you want a complete player and not situational guys. Harder to find than LT or QB even. I'd have taken the DT.

Upnorth
11-26-2020, 06:53 AM
Even if a good dt is harder to find, qb is much more important. Not saying they should have drafted love over a dt this year but in general terms

texaspackerbacker
11-26-2020, 10:56 AM
Finding a superstar Aaron Donald or Reggie White level D Lineman may be the hardest thing to find, but finding serviceable starters who aren't gonna blow the game or even above average types isn't that tough. It does, however usually take some patience for them to develop.

Corner, IMO, is the position where it is the hardest to find players that it is safe to put on the field and trust.

And yeah, QB is the most important - that kinda goes without saying.

Bretsky
11-26-2020, 12:30 PM
I stumped for Simmons. I watched full game tapes. He didn't flash. He knocked his guy back every play. In defense of Gary, Gary knocked his guy back consistently too. Every down.

Gary in college knocked his guys back but didn't make plays.

But if my bad memory serves me right, you liked Simmons, didn't you ?

RashanGary
11-26-2020, 01:39 PM
Gary in college knocked his guys back but didn't make plays.

But if my bad memory serves me right, you liked Simmons, didn't you ?

Yep. I wanted Simmons all day before the pick.

After taking Gary, I felt like Gary had similar consistency in his assignments as far as always bullying his guy. But Simmons is bigger and a far more rare find. I would have taken the big guy every time.

Gary is still rare and didn't gave the ACL tear so I'm ok with the decision. He's one of the most physically powerful edge players in the NFL who can still run.

RashanGary
11-26-2020, 01:41 PM
Simmons is a Suh level bully on the field. So hard to get those guys. Definitely disappointed because him and Clark are a generational tandem as far as their match. Simmons slightly quicker and Clark slightly more grounded. But very similar complete players with perfect slight differences that would have made for unstoppable interior line play

GB-Brandon
11-26-2020, 02:20 PM
So there ya go. Gute screwed up the 12th pick in the draft that would of changed the direction of the defense for years to come. The bar I was at close to Lambeau people were chanting “Simmons” when we were on the clock but Gute wanted to show us that he was smarter then all of us. Thats been the problem all along when a “Game Changing Move” was starring us right in the eye!!!

“2+2 = 4”

GB-Brandon
11-26-2020, 02:21 PM
Just like “Will Fuller” is showing us today and other games that Gute should of traded for him!!!!

“Walk and Chew Gum at the same time.”

RashanGary
11-26-2020, 02:31 PM
So there ya go. Gute screwed up the 12th pick in the draft that would of changed the direction of the defense for years to come. The bar I was at close to Lambeau people were chanting “Simmons” when we were on the clock but Gute wanted to show us that he was smarter then all of us. Thats been the problem all along when a “Game Changing Move” was starring us right in the eye!!!

“2+2 = 4”

Being smart in hindsight isn't smart though, Brandon. 8 of the top 12 picks would have been better with Simmons. The ACL was a concern.

GB-Brandon
11-26-2020, 02:45 PM
We didn’t NEED A GENIUS to make this a SUPER BOWL WINNER. We just needed someone competent that does the obvious and makes the next right indicated move for gods sake!!!!

The Genius was already done in somehow getting Aaron Rodgers to fall in our Fucken Lap. Geez!!!!!!

GB-Brandon
11-26-2020, 02:46 PM
Being smart in hindsight isn't smart though, Brandon. 8 of the top 12 picks would have been better with Simmons. The ACL was a concern.

Whatever man. Nobody wanted Gary.

GB-Brandon
11-26-2020, 02:50 PM
Gary had and has a torn labrum in his shoulder. An ACL tear in a DL isn’t that big of a deal!! I think it might of had more to do with the off the field incident with Simmons if anything.

Bottom line is Gute fucked it up!! And he has Fucked up just about everything!!

Bretsky
11-26-2020, 04:02 PM
Just like “Will Fuller” is showing us today and other games that Gute should of traded for him!!!!

“Walk and Chew Gum at the same time.”

I don't think Will Fuller was willing to sign with us; I'm not giving a high pick away for a one year rental.

I'm not giving a 2nd round pick

GB-Brandon
11-26-2020, 04:22 PM
I don't think Will Fuller was willing to sign with us; I'm not giving a high pick away for a one year rental.

Will Fuller “Wants To Come To Green Bay”. He has ties to LaFluer and wants to play with Rodgers.

We will probably end up signing him in free agency. Then again Gute will probably fail at getting it done!

Zool
11-26-2020, 07:27 PM

Just because you want a guy doesn’t mean the other team has to trade him.

FFS why do we have to keep rehashing the same things over and over.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/11/09/deshaun-watson-will-fuller-texans-trade-hell

Bretsky
11-26-2020, 08:49 PM
Just because you want a guy doesn’t mean the other team has to trade him.

FFS why do we have to keep rehashing the same things over and over.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/11/09/deshaun-watson-will-fuller-texans-trade-hell

Hey you big dummy I was arguing against make the trade :))

Bretsky
11-26-2020, 08:57 PM
Will Fuller “Wants To Come To Green Bay”. He has ties to LaFluer and wants to play with Rodgers.

We will probably end up signing him in free agency. Then again Gute will probably fail at getting it done!

You are going off hearsay by saying he "wants to come"
I am going off the same heresay that they were taking nothing less than a 2nd round pick.

I'm not giving up a 2nd round draft pick without a contract so I feel they did the right thing by not making that deal

RashanGary
11-26-2020, 09:51 PM
I am going off the same heresay that they were taking nothing less than a 2nd round pick.

I'm not giving up a 2nd round draft pick without a contract so I feel they did the right thing by not making that deal

Using hindsight, but really it sure seems like a few of us had some good vision on a few of the things.... But, this would have made things different

Drafting TJ Watt
Drafting Jeffrey Simmons
Not signing Preston (We’d still have to pay watt more money)

If those three things would have happened, we’d be the front runner right now. Z, Simmons, Clark, Watt would be the best pass rushing front in football. Ugh.

King is ok. Might get a second small contract. Gary looks like a good player early here and has a chance to be great. He's only 22 so there is a lot of growth yet to come. It's not epic fails like Sherry and Harrell, but still, not home runs like Rodgers, Collins, Jennings, Matrhews, Jordy and Jones leading up to our last SB. Watt and Simmons would have done it tho.

RashanGary
11-26-2020, 09:54 PM
As total cherry on the cake, moving up to take Jefferson would have made us almost a sure thing. But damn, every team can say that.

RashanGary
11-26-2020, 09:58 PM
Go back a touch further..... Keep Heyward too.

Alexander/Heyward/Sullivan (all three really good zone players so we can have a go to defense instead of being so/so at everything)
Watt/Z/Simmons/Clark

Shit, while we're at it, shoulda drafted Fred Warner too. Then it's game over for anyone we face

Upnorth
11-27-2020, 06:48 AM
I think you are looking for a pony in all this navel gazing horse shit. Every one is smart in hindsight.

smuggler
11-27-2020, 10:08 AM

Rd/Pos
1. WR
2. WR
3. ILB
4. CB
5. WR
6.WR
7. QB

Have you seen our run defense? We need more mustard on the DL. Keke and Adams are decent, Lancaster is just a guy. Lowry sucks.

RashanGary
11-27-2020, 11:32 AM
1/2 cb/ilb
3 Dl
4 wr

Upnorth
11-27-2020, 12:18 PM
Priorities should be
1 dt
2 etc bpa
Its a good team just need to stop that run. And need to stop using zone coverage and do more man. I have seen on a few analytic sites we are top 5 d in man coverage and bottom 5 d in zone coverage.

Smidgeon
11-27-2020, 02:41 PM
Priorities should be
1 dt
2 etc bpa
Its a good team just need to stop that run. And need to stop using zone coverage and do more man. I have seen on a few analytic sites we are top 5 d in man coverage and bottom 5 d in zone coverage.

Stop the run and collapse the pocket up the middle. Both can be done with better dlinemen around KC. That's the weakest point in the entire team right now and has directly contributed to losses this year.

Zool
11-28-2020, 09:29 AM
Hey you big dummy I was arguing against make the trade :))

Yeah. But I have Brandon blocked so I can’t quote him. So there.

GB-Brandon
11-28-2020, 10:23 AM

Well there was confirmed sources saying Fuller told his agent to tell the Texans “To Make the Trade and that he had no intention on resigning with them.”

Fuller also posted some things on Twitter leading up to the trade dead line that showed more or less he personally wanted the trade to happen.

I don’t see why the Packers couldn’t of signed Fuller long term. Of course it would of meant some roster reshuffling and not re-signing a few guys but it was obtainable. By signing him they basically put their receiver room where it needed to be for the rest of Rodgers career in Green Bay so probably wouldn’t of been the worst thing in the world when it’s been such a disaster.

GB-Brandon
11-28-2020, 10:25 AM
I feel far more confident that giving Rodgers another legit weapon gives the Packers more tread on the tire then some experimental pick at corner or OLB or etc etc!!

GB-Brandon
11-28-2020, 10:30 AM
Your continually playing the game of “Developing” when you have a QB that is at age and playing level to be in a system of “Developed.”

That’s why its never gonna work. Trade Rodgers and continue to fiddle fuck around with being in a life long act of a state of “Developing.”

Some of us want to see the finished product before we die!!

GB-Brandon
11-28-2020, 10:42 AM
Not trading for Will Fuller means two things. No.1 it means they don’t have that much confidence in Aaron Rodgers now to get us over the hump and it also means they think they will have a better chance down the road with Jordan Love. LMAO!!!

Fucken Idiots!!!

GB-Brandon
11-28-2020, 11:40 AM
Using hindsight, but really it sure seems like a few of us had some good vision on a few of the things.... But, this would have made things different

Drafting TJ Watt
Drafting Jeffrey Simmons
Not signing Preston (We’d still have to pay watt more money)

If those three things would have happened, we’d be the front runner right now. Z, Simmons, Clark, Watt would be the best pass rushing front in football. Ugh.

King is ok. Might get a second small contract. Gary looks like a good player early here and has a chance to be great. He's only 22 so there is a lot of growth yet to come. It's not epic fails like Sherry and Harrell, but still, not home runs like Rodgers, Collins, Jennings, Matrhews, Jordy and Jones leading up to our last SB. Watt and Simmons would have done it tho.

Those mistakes just scratch the surface actually!!

GB-Brandon
11-28-2020, 11:46 AM
Brian Gutekunst had all the necessary picks and $ left to him by Ted Thompson to activate a dynasty.

He might be the worst GM I’ve ever seen in action!!!

He either hates Aaron Rodgers or has No Clue what he is doing!!

Bretsky
11-28-2020, 04:47 PM
Well there was confirmed sources saying Fuller told his agent to tell the Texans “To Make the Trade and that he had no intention on resigning with them.”

Fuller also posted some things on Twitter leading up to the trade dead line that showed more or less he personally wanted the trade to happen.

I don’t see why the Packers couldn’t of signed Fuller long term. Of course it would of meant some roster reshuffling and not re-signing a few guys but it was obtainable. By signing him they basically put their receiver room where it needed to be for the rest of Rodgers career in Green Bay so probably wouldn’t of been the worst thing in the world when it’s been such a disaster.

I won't argue with a thing you posted.

But as the GM, in order to give up a 2nd round pick, don't you have to get him to agree to sign long term ? And there was no indication or rumors at all of that happening.

I just don't think you give up a 2nd rounder without a contract.

And I don't like Gutebag bag either; I'm an Eliott Wolf guy. But those threads were a while ago :)

run pMc
11-28-2020, 05:46 PM
You don't give up a R2 for a 9 game rental of a WR who has been healthy for a little over half his games, and not a difference maker in many of the games he was in. Reminder: DeAndre Hopkins was THE MAN among the WRs in HOU, and he basically went to ARI for a R2... it was robbery, but trading a R2 for Fuller would be robbery the other way IMO. Yeah yeah, some want to do it anyway because they think it guarantees a SB, but it doesn't. They can move the ball fine against most defenses (even top DVOA ones like IND), they just can't stop the run or force a punt reliably. Until they can, they are a flawed team.

run pMc
11-28-2020, 05:51 PM
For the record, I'm not suggesting they invest no Day 1 or 2 picks on offense. In fact, I think they need to look at OT and definitely WR, and if Aaron Jones walks they will need a versatile RB. They need better DL, a CB to replace King, and to figure out what they are doing at LB.
It's 50/50 Pettine is gone right now, so scheme might help too. As much as I cringe at the (lack of) payoff from the draft capital already spent on defense in recent years I think they still need to look for talent there and get better.

SudsMcBucky
11-30-2020, 08:15 AM
Will Fuller is the one WR I was hoping to trade for when people were throwing out names like Julio jones, AB, and others. However, it would have been complete incompetence and stupidity to trade a 2nd for him w/o having a long-term contract in place.

Joemailman
11-30-2020, 08:29 AM
Gotta say I'll be bummed if this guy has to go.

http://images.footballguys.com/Dropbox/Random%20Shots%20-%20Shared/a10.jones.sombrero.png

RashanGary
11-30-2020, 10:38 AM
Preston is gonna work hard this offseason. He saw his NFL and family security flash before his eyes after coming in chubby while Gary came in hungry for success. Gary is gonna keep his foot on the gas. He has a profile and that profile is to grind every damn day so injury aside, he will always get better.

So it's Preston and a cheap Jamal (who's chemistry with AR opens up the playbook)

Or

No Preston and we keep Jones (who's a perfect fit to make our offense wide open)

Preston rounding into shape is making it a conversation again if you think he can maintain it, anyway.

GB-Brandon
11-30-2020, 11:30 AM
Will Fuller is the one WR I was hoping to trade for when people were throwing out names like Julio jones, AB, and others. However, it would have been complete incompetence and stupidity to trade a 2nd for him w/o having a long-term contract in place.

Not if it helped deliver a World Championship!!! With that being said I don’t see why they wouldn’t have been able to sign Fuller long term if they wanted too.

texaspackerbacker
11-30-2020, 01:59 PM
The top priority for the draft has to be Inside Linebacker. Kirksey is absolute trash, and Barnes and Martin haven't been good enough to beat him out. Our D Line is adequate if not great. Clark, Keke, and Billy Winn are doing the job. I would also hope we can get back Montravius cheap next season. We could always use a great Corner, but quantity-wise, we are good on decent #2 or 3 quality guys. Savage reminded me a little bit of Nick Collins yesterday, but one game isn't enough. Just the same, it's a good sign. I hope they keep Amos too. With the young guys as back ups, no Safety needed. As somebody said, Billy Turner had a good game. I still think they should and maybe will cut him, though. I'm now ready to see them move on from Linsley. Dump Wagner too. The young guys we are developing should be solid next year, and we could still use another or two O Linemen in the draft.

I say again, ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY WE NEED TO KEEP AARON JONES. If Jamal is as cheap as RG thinks, keep him too. Thus, we don't need to draft a RB. WR is fie too, although picking up somebody fast who can run back kicks to replace Shepherd would help. I really hope we bring in competition - not necessarily drafted - to try and beat out Crosby and Scott. As good as Crosby has been, there are a lot of guys doing better around the league and getting paid a lot less. And it seems like just about everybody has a better punter than us. With about 50 or so (1/4 the college fb programs) coming out each year, we really ought to be able to find an upgrade.

RashanGary
11-30-2020, 03:29 PM
The top priority for the draft has to be Inside Linebacker. Kirksey is absolute trash, and Barnes and Martin haven't been good enough to beat him out. Our D Line is adequate if not great. Clark, Keke, and Billy Winn are doing the job. I would also hope we can get back Montravius cheap next season. We could always use a great Corner, but quantity-wise, we are good on decent #2 or 3 quality guys. Savage reminded me a little bit of Nick Collins yesterday, but one game isn't enough. Just the same, it's a good sign. I hope they keep Amos too. With the young guys as back ups, no Safety needed. As somebody said, Billy Turner had a good game. I still think they should and maybe will cut him, though. I'm now ready to see them move on from Linsley. Dump Wagner too. The young guys we are developing should be solid next year, and we could still use another or two O Linemen in the draft.

I say again, ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY WE NEED TO KEEP AARON JONES. If Jamal is as cheap as RG thinks, keep him too. Thus, we don't need to draft a RB. WR is fie too, although picking up somebody fast who can run back kicks to replace Shepherd would help. I really hope we bring in competition - not necessarily drafted - to try and beat out Crosby and Scott. As good as Crosby has been, there are a lot of guys doing better around the league and getting paid a lot less. And it seems like just about everybody has a better punter than us. With about 50 or so (1/4 the college fb programs) coming out each year, we really ought to be able to find an upgrade.

Pretty much with ya here, 100%. But you know, things change fast in the NFL. Maybe cut Preston and Gary keeps progressing and this all works out perfectly!

Joemailman
11-30-2020, 05:19 PM
Will Fuller suspended 6 games.

willfullerv's profile picture
willfullerv
Verified
Earlier this year, I sought treatment from a medical professional who prescribed medication that he believed to be permitted under the NFL’s drug policy. As it turns out, my trust in this professional was misplaced because this medication was NOT a permitted substance under the NFL Policy on Performance Enhancing Substances.

smuggler
11-30-2020, 05:41 PM
Hey, maybe Green Bay can sign him on the cheap in the offseason, now. He's a talented dude. Maybe even more talented than Davante. Davante is talented in his own right, but what makes him special is his skill.

Zool
11-30-2020, 09:18 PM
Ahh, the old "I didn't pay attention to what I was taking" excuse. Would have been a great trade.

RashanGary
11-30-2020, 11:44 PM
Hey, maybe Green Bay can sign him on the cheap in the offseason, now. He's a talented dude. Maybe even more talented than Davante. Davante is talented in his own right, but what makes him special is his skill.

Fuller is faster. Davante is explosive and strong. Plus skilled.

Upnorth
12-01-2020, 10:24 AM
I would have loved to see fuller here but in light of this news thank God gute is smarter than me advocating for this guy. Ine thing we fans seem to forget is we dont have as much info as these inside guys but we pretend we are brilliant.

gbgary
12-03-2020, 04:41 PM
tonyan is a rfa after this season. he's going to cost some decent bucks to keep if they want him. lots of teams out there with a ton of cap room next season. he's probably gone. they need to draft D heavy again.

HarveyWallbangers
12-03-2020, 05:10 PM
tonyan is a rfa after this season. he's going to cost some decent bucks to keep if they want him. lots of teams out there with a ton of cap room next season. he's probably gone. they need to draft D heavy again.

Put a 2nd round tender on him, and he should be safe. Would cost a few million, but he’s worth it (relatively speaking).

Joemailman
12-03-2020, 05:37 PM
Put a 2nd round tender on him, and he should be safe. Would cost a few million, but he’s worth it (relatively speaking).

2nd round tender expected to be about 3.4 million. That should be manageable if they can't get him signed to an extension.

Other RFA's: Tyler Lancaster, Will Redmond, Chandon Sullivan, Parry Nickerson, Tim Boyle, Raven Greene.

Bretsky
12-03-2020, 06:03 PM
2nd round tender expected to be about 3.4 million. That should be manageable if they can't get him signed to an extension.

Other RFA's: Tyler Lancaster, Will Redmond, Chandon Sullivan, Parry Nickerson, Tim Boyle, Raven Greene.

Gotta Keep Tim Boyle so we have a starter after the show AROD the door :)))

RashanGary
12-03-2020, 06:06 PM

He’s one of the solid TEs in the league with potential to be top 10 or even 5ish at best. I like the idea of the 2nd round tender and the give him a real extension early in the year if he takes that next step.

RashanGary
12-03-2020, 06:16 PM
Tonyan and Deguara gonna be a nice pair if Deguara can recover well from that knee. Stergberger has a chance too if he can get his pass pro figured out.

Bretsky
12-03-2020, 10:16 PM
Tonyan and Deguara gonna be a nice pair if Deguara can recover well from that knee. Stergberger has a chance too if he can get his pass pro figured out.

I'm excited about the development of Tonyan

But did Deguara really show anybody anything ? To me he was Rashan Gary Rookie Season invisible and was our typical 3rd round...overdrafted...draft pick

smuggler
12-04-2020, 12:20 AM
He got open on the two targets he saw. Rodgers overthrew him on what probably would have been about a 25 yard reception. And he was contributing as a blocker as an H-back. He might not become what we'd want from a 3rd round pick, but if he plays 5-6 years like he did in those few games, he'll help us get wins.

RashanGary
12-04-2020, 05:51 AM

But did Deguara really show anybody anything ? To me he was Rashan Gary Rookie Season invisible and was our typical 3rd round...overdrafted...draft pick

Rookies almost always suck. Three years in you get a better read.

Upnorth
12-04-2020, 06:04 AM
He got open on the two targets he saw. Rodgers overthrew him on what probably would have been about a 25 yard reception. And he was contributing as a blocker as an H-back. He might not become what we'd want from a 3rd round pick, but if he plays 5-6 years like he did in those few games, he'll help us get wins.

I thinker an average starter is what you want from a 3rd round pick. Anything more is unreasonable expectation. 1st round I want near pro bowl 2nd high quality starter. 3rd and 4th average starter. 5ths and onwards occasional starter and backups / st

gbgary
12-04-2020, 10:35 AM
i think OTC has tonyan's valuation at over $7m per. he just might be the next guy extended.

Joemailman
12-04-2020, 10:51 AM

He only played in 2 games. I recall being impressed with his blocking in the little bit of playing time he had. I suspect a lot of rookies this year had a tough time making an early impression with the lost offseason time and preseason games.

run pMc
12-04-2020, 11:06 AM
RFA's usually don't move teams often.

Tonyan is having an excellent year by advanced statistics, and is leading in many of them with guys like Kittle and Ertz hurt. He's a bit underrated but I think he'll get some interest. I think Gute likes him and will try to keep him. Deguara was drafted a little early but I liked him as a player. I think he can do a little bit of everything and be a solid role player for them.

Chandon Sullivan will get interest. He was very good last year in limited snaps and has proven to be just as good with more snaps as a starter in the slot. He can play outside in a pinch but he's better in the slot and those guys have value. Losing him and King would be tough -- I don't think they have the players to replace both.

Boyle, Nickerson, Lancaster won't get much if any interest. Redmond and Greene might not either. I think they'll try to replace Greene with another draft pick or Vernon Scott. Redmond is interesting because he was a CB drafted R3 by SF who flamed out with injuries, but he's been an ok S/CB hybrid depth piece. I think if you want to play a lot of dime like Pettine does he's got value, but not much over the vet minimum, especially in a tight cap year.

I think they have Bahk signed, now it's a matter of what to do with Jones and if there are underperforming players that should be cut for cap space.
The other FA/RFA's will likely be replaced with inexpensive players and draft picks.
This past draft would have been a good one to have a lot of cheap draft pick players - they'd be 2nd year players heading into a season under a COVID reduced cap. Can probably say the same for the upcoming draft.

smuggler
12-04-2020, 11:46 AM
Gotta say, I'd rather have Lancaster at whatever his tender might be than keep Lowry at his price tag.

Joemailman
12-04-2020, 11:54 AM
Gotta say, I'd rather have Lancaster at whatever his tender might be than keep Lowry at his price tag.

You can let Lancaster become a free agent and probably sign him for less than the tender if you really want to keep him.

texaspackerbacker
12-04-2020, 12:23 PM
Tonyan, Sullivan, and maybe Greene are the only RFAs on that list I'd keep at all.

Regarding Deguara, and basically the whole early part of this years draft, the Packers were horrendously bad at drafting where they had absolutely no need. Love is the prime example, but Dillon and Deguara the same. The half joking idea some float out that Love was drafted to motivate Aaron Rodgers is IMO the ONLY possible reason for and good that could come from that pick.

Bretsky
12-04-2020, 12:43 PM
Rookies almost always suck. Three years in you get a better read.

It seems to depend on position

You don't see many rookie TE's excelling

But at RB/WR/CB/S/OLB /DL some flash a ton of talent right away.

Look at this year

You can see Swift has talent. Justin Herbert, Tou, Burrow all look like they can play now.
CeDee Lamb, Jeudy, Jefferson, Claypool, Denzel Mims, Michael Pittman have shown they belong.

But not many TE's excel from the get go it seems

RashanGary
12-04-2020, 12:56 PM
It seems to depend on position

But at RB/WR/CB/S/OLB /DL some flash a ton of talent right away.

Look at this year

You can see Swift has talent. Justin Herbert, Tou, Burrow all look like they can play now.
CeDee Lamb, Jeudy, Jefferson, Claypool, Denzel Mims, Michael Pittman have shown they belong.

But not many TE's excel from the get go it seems

Aaron Rodgers, Nick Collins, TJ Lang, Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, Kenny Clark, even Jaire was so/so as a rookie.

Most great players take a couple years to reach their potential.

run pMc
12-05-2020, 03:19 PM
The half joking idea some float out that Love was drafted to motivate Aaron Rodgers is IMO the ONLY possible reason for and good that could come from that pick.

I don't think this was the case at all, although it makes for nice online gossip. Rodgers is 37; Ron Wolf was drafting QBs for a while with Favre as the QB -- Hasselbeck, Brooks, Detmer, Rodgers. Drafting Love is really no different. What is different is that Gute spent a R1 and a R4 to draft a QB to basically be a fantasy handcuff to Rodgers. I didn't like that part. I like Tim Boyle, but honestly I doubt he's ultimately the heir apparent to Rodgers. If Rodgers does play until 43 or whatever, one of two things will have happened: either Love will be gone (traded/cut) or Rodgers will.

If Rodgers continues to play at MVP-consideration level for a few years and Love shows talent, they can trade him for a couple of picks (likely more than a low R1 and a R4).

To suggest the pick was to motivate Rodgers seems... wrong, especially given how he's bought into MLF's offense, how well he's playing, and the fact that he seems to be enjoying this team.

run pMc
12-05-2020, 03:21 PM

Agree. TE's rarely excel right away because the learning curve going from college to pros is pretty steep.

texaspackerbacker
12-05-2020, 04:44 PM
I don't think this was the case at all, although it makes for nice online gossip. Rodgers is 37; Ron Wolf was drafting QBs for a while with Favre as the QB -- Hasselbeck, Brooks, Detmer, Rodgers. Drafting Love is really no different. What is different is that Gute spent a R1 and a R4 to draft a QB to basically be a fantasy handcuff to Rodgers. I didn't like that part. I like Tim Boyle, but honestly I doubt he's ultimately the heir apparent to Rodgers. If Rodgers does play until 43 or whatever, one of two things will have happened: either Love will be gone (traded/cut) or Rodgers will.

If Rodgers continues to play at MVP-consideration level for a few years and Love shows talent, they can trade him for a couple of picks (likely more than a low R1 and a R4).

To suggest the pick was to motivate Rodgers seems... wrong, especially given how he's bought into MLF's offense, how well he's playing, and the fact that he seems to be enjoying this team.

The high level of the pick as well as trading up for it is what makes the difference with regard to the stupidity of the pick.

I did not mean they did it to motivate Rodgers; I meant some are joking around about that. But the real point is, there is absolutely no justification whatsoever for being so damn stupid to draft a QB that high other than the possibility that it has motivated Rodgers. And if Gutekunst is so supremely idiotic to let Rodgers go, if he does that, regardless of anything else - other players, coaching scheme, etc., the Packers will certainly go right in the toilet and remain there indefinitely. And if that happens, the good citizens of Green Bay better run the guy out of town and maybe even kill his dog - and I say that as a dog lover.

Bretsky
12-05-2020, 08:47 PM
The high level of the pick as well as trading up for it is what makes the difference with regard to the stupidity of the pick.

I did not mean they did it to motivate Rodgers; I meant some are joking around about that. But the real point is, there is absolutely no justification whatsoever for being so damn stupid to draft a QB that high other than the possibility that it has motivated Rodgers..

:knll::bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap:

RashanGary
12-06-2020, 07:49 AM
CBS has 3 ILB in the top 32 and 8 in the top 64.

A bunch of them can be considered for the 28-32nd pick.

Might be our year, FINALLY, to get an ILB. Barnes looks like a solid overall player, but in an ideal world a super fast linebacker would bring our defense to a new level.

Bretsky
12-06-2020, 04:35 PM
CBS has 3 ILB in the top 32 and 8 in the top 64.

A bunch of them can be considered for the 28-32nd pick.

Might be our year, FINALLY, to get an ILB. Barnes looks like a solid overall player, but in an ideal world a super fast linebacker would bring our defense to a new level.

I would agree

But I don't think we value ILB

Patrick Queen was there for us this year

call_me_ishmael
12-09-2020, 11:42 AM
Great year to pick a QB in the first. Best class in a few years.

Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson, Trask all look like potential players. Would have rather taken the QB this year. Wilson looks like he can play.

Zool
12-09-2020, 11:51 AM
I would agree

But I don't think we value ILB

Patrick Queen was there for us this year

I haven't paid much attention outside of the Packers this year. How has Queen been? I remember he wasn't starting at some point. His snap % says that has changed?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Q/QueePa00.htm

The advanced metrics section shows him being pretty bad in coverage.

smuggler
12-09-2020, 12:21 PM
i think OTC has tonyan's valuation at over $7m per. he just might be the next guy extended.

The 2nd-round tender gives the Packers ROFR on any offer sheet, a 2nd round pick if he leaves, and is less than $4mil. That's probably what he gets slapped with, and then they try to work out a longer-term deal, unless they already have something in the works now.

Great year to pick a QB in the first. Best class in a few years.

Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson, Trask all look like potential players. Would have rather taken the QB this year.

On the other hand, that many QBs going ahead of us in the first round helps to push the other positional talent down toward our pick or our feasible trade range.

Bretsky
12-09-2020, 05:59 PM
I haven't paid much attention outside of the Packers this year. How has Queen been? I remember he wasn't starting at some point. His snap % says that has changed?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Q/QueePa00.htm

The advanced metrics section shows him being pretty bad in coverage.

I think it's fair to say he's bee OK so far. But ok for a Raven LB is better IMO than what we have

He's no Kenneth Murray....and the past ILB's I craved in Devin Bush or Roquan Smith or Devin White....of course....all of those would have required trade ups.

So I'm not sure he's worth an additional pick; but IMO neither was the Love Machine :))

Fritz
12-09-2020, 06:46 PM
I think it's fair to say he's bee OK so far. But ok for a Raven LB is better IMO than what we have

He's no Kenneth Murray....and the past ILB's I craved in Devin Bush or Roquan Smith or Devin White....of course....all of those would have required trade ups.

So I'm not sure he's worth an additional pick; but IMO neither was the Love Machine :))

Own up. You just got Patlerized by Zool.

RashanGary
12-12-2020, 11:17 AM
Nick Bolton looks like an interesting prospect at pick 32. Fast, tough, big hitter, good in coverage, explosive.

I'm a fan of Barnes so far. Kamal Martin too, really.

Even if both guys we already have pan out, I'm sure Bolton could work on the field as the Nickle backer as a rookie and obviously for depth too.

Joemailman
12-12-2020, 02:05 PM
Nick Bolton looks like an interesting prospect at pick 32. Fast, tough, big hitter, good in coverage, explosive.

I'm a fan of Barnes so far. Kamal Martin too, really.

Even if both guys we already have pan out, I'm sure Bolton could work on the field as the Nickle backer as a rookie and obviously for depth too.

I know it's early, but Bolton might be more of a 2nd round pick. My early favorite for Packers 1st round pick is.....

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jay-tufele/EswRPRGo3p

JAY TUFELE

Pros: Jay aligns at defensive tackle for the Trojan even front defense. He aligns at the 1 shade and the 3 tech for the Trojan defense and is a capable projection to either role at the pro level as well. He is a good athlete with good quickness, balance on the interior and body control. In the passing game, he is sufficient to generate pressure. Tufele is an explosive athlete who uses his powerful hands to defeat interior linemen inside and get to the QB. He does a good job pushing the depth of the pocket as an interior rusher and has an effective bull rush, as well. In the run game he is very good at the point of attack. He comes off the ball hard, defeats his blocker, shows good agility to get through trash and finds the football. He is extremely difficult to single block when his pad level is good and flashes dominance in both the run and the pass game.

Cons: This is a player who has some dominant reps over the course of the game. He can afford to be more consistent at playing with good pad level. He has a swim move that he uses inside, however, he can afford to develop a legitimate counter and complimentary move as well. Overall, this is a very good football player who simply needs consistency to take the next step and possibly leap into the conversation of the first two rounds of the NFL Draft.

RashanGary
12-12-2020, 02:09 PM
I know it's early, but Bolton might be more of a 2nd round pick. My early favorite for Packers 1st round pick is.....

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jay-tufele/EswRPRGo3p

DT is my favorite position in football. I'd never complain about this one. Would be cool to keep Adams on a cheap second contract too.

Clark/Lancaster
Keke/Lowry
Rookie first rounder/Adams

I'm cool with that depth. Would probably make Barnes and Martin better in their second years to have a deep stable of hogs in front of them.

RashanGary
12-12-2020, 02:11 PM
Rolling six deep on the DL and the three guy OLB rotation, of which Gary is bound to be much improved. We could probably live with so/so ILBs.

RashanGary
12-12-2020, 02:13 PM
A super star WR, excellent TE, star secondary player, ILB or DL. Outside of QB, any star would make a difference.

run pMc
12-12-2020, 05:45 PM
I was not a fan of giving up a R4 to get Love. I was not a fan of the Love pick either. That's done though.
R2-4 are the heart of your draft and often where your surprise stars and key contributors come from; it's generally a bad policy to trade away those picks without a very good reason. I'm not convinced Love was.

As for Barnes and Martin, they very well could be long term players for GB. Their injury histories (Barnes has been hurt a lot; he's on the smaller side and likely to wear down faster, Martin has had injuries to both knees) are a concern and you'd like to see one more player there. Kirksey is ok, but I'm actually not sure he's playing the same role now that he was in CLE for Pettine. They should be able to find a younger, healthier, and cheaper alternative if they try. If Burks panned out then he'd be a key part of the rotation and they wouldn't have brought Kirksey in at all.

I would not be against taking a good DL in R1 as long as they can provide some push and help KClark out. Lowry is a try hard guy but he's not getting it done and once again they can find younger, cheaper and likely better production.

Mt.Adams is worth a vet minimum at best; the guy can't stay healthy, when he is, he's at the bottom of the rotation. Athletic guy, but he hasn't really done much to get excited about in... 4 years? I think this off season they can find better. In 45 games he has 44 tackles (22 solo) and 1.5 sacks; why would you bring him back? There were several other DL picked after him (Troy Hendrickson, Deatrick Wise, Grover Stewart) who have developed and contributed far more. Tyler Lancaster is better than Adams. Basically, they can get same production from a UDFA.

RashanGary
12-12-2020, 05:52 PM
Some guys take a little bit to really get going. Taller guys especially. I see a lot of 6’4” - 6’7” lineman who don't really hit their stride until year 4, 5, 6. And I've seen quite a few play for a really long time. Once a long, big guy learns how to play with that leverage, they last a long time.

Adams has had a horrible 3 years and now one year of flashing as a decent rotational guy. But his arrow is kind of pointing up. He looked better this year than last so the trend is upward. I wouldn't mind a small contract to see if it keeps going that way.

That said, DL, especially DT is my favorite position in football. I'll never be disappointed in a DL. Keke is coming on. But I'll take 3 more and still feel like I want 2 more. I would never stop taking DL or OL for that matter.

wthigoot
12-13-2020, 12:28 AM
Way-too-early mock draft for 2021. Mostly trying to guess positions and rounds. Packers have some trade-up fodder also since there are comp picks --

1-30 Packers -- Horn, Jaycee CB 6-1 205 South Carolina
2-62 Packers -- Tufele, Jay DT 6-3 315 Southern California
3-94 Packers -- Toney, Kadarius WR 6-0 193 Florida
4-134 Packers -- Jackson, Alaric OT 6-6 315 Iowa
4-140 C-Martinez -- Teague, Master RB 5-11 225 Ohio State
5-175 Packers -- Lloyd, Devin ILB 6-3 232 Utah
5-181 C-Bulaga -- Smith, Jordan DE 6-7 255 Alabama-Birmingham
6-215 Packers -- McBride, Trey TE 6-4 240 Colorado State
6-222 C-Fackrell -- Moon, Jeremiah OLB 6-5 250 Florida
7-244 Packers -- Smith-Marsette, Ihmir WR 6-1 186 Iowa

smuggler
12-13-2020, 08:30 AM
It will be interesting to see if the NFL factors in guys that opted out of the season into comp picks. The formula relies heavily on AAV of the contract, but those new contracts don't actually begin until 2021 for players that opted out.

gbgary
12-14-2020, 11:40 AM
DT and ILB...again. later a CB. more OL.

smuggler
12-14-2020, 10:59 PM
I have something of a theory that the Packers are pumping up one Aaron's TDs to suppress another Aaron's TDs. Because the latter is an upcoming free agent.

texaspackerbacker
12-15-2020, 06:04 AM
That would be smart, but I doubt it. Success in the NFL is mainly taking what is there - which is what they have done.

Fritz
12-15-2020, 11:39 AM
I would hope this team would address the defensive line early, plus corner and offensive tackle.

Deputy Nutz
12-15-2020, 12:41 PM
Can't believe I am posting in here before the end of the 2020 season.

I can assure you all of a few things.
- Packers will not select an ILB within the first 3 rounds of the draft. They don't seem to have or trust their front office evaluations of the position enough to make it a priority in any draft cycle
- Packers will not take a receiver in the first round and most likely not even in the second round
- Defensive linemen and offensive linemen would be my bet for the first round
- Defensive Back will also be a priority just don't know when but I could expect either an early selection or a slew of DBs drafted in later rounds.
- Packers seem to rely on combine numbers in relation to size metrics. Its a dangerous way to play your draft capital. So when evaluated possible players for the Packers, don't look too hard at
production, look at the workout numbers specifically. I still have no idea why they passed on DK Metcalf two years ago outside of his poor three cone, which receivers are going to refuse to run in
the combine because it doesn't seem to do them any good.

texaspackerbacker
12-15-2020, 01:50 PM
If we didn't need a WR last year in a great year for them, we really don't need one this year - after the nice development of what we have. I'd also say we aren't bad in the O Line - something I haven't said much since maybe the Lombardi era. With Patrick and Runyon coming along, and apparently they have high hopes for Stepaniak, and maybe Lane Taylor back, and maybe even Nijman, we don't need much help there. Another thing I have flip-flopped on is not taking an ILB early. We've seen what several good ones around the league can do to really improve defenses. Especially if there is a chance Pettine is gone, getting an ILB becomes important - probably a higher priority with just about any other D Coordinator. D Line could use improvement too, but like that other thread title, it's not as bad as a lot of people think.

The Packers are famous - for better or worse, I'd say worse - drafting positions where there are people needing to be re-signed that might not be. With that in mind, plus the importance of the position, I think they take a Corner first. King is probably on the way out, and he's not really very good anyway IMO - or reliably healthy in anybody's opinion. I HOPE drafting a RB early is not a similar priority, as they simply damn well better not let Aaron Jones go.

Another factor is cap losses. Preston Smith would seem to be certainly gone, and Zadarius with his $20m cap hit and good not great performance just might be gone too. I'd like to see us cut him and use something less but close to the $20m to sign some better FA pass rusher.

I'm going with Corner first, ILB second, maybe OLB 3rd. I think we have extra picks in the 4th and 5th. ILB again, D Line, O Line, and RB there. Maybe we snag a small fast kick returner in the late rounds too.

HarveyWallbangers
12-15-2020, 02:04 PM
Deez Nuts with an appearance.

run pMc
12-15-2020, 05:35 PM
Deez Nuts with an appearance.

LOL I agree with Nutz. I think they draft a big ugly first, then look at CB or (should Jones leave) RB. WR and other positions will be R3 and later. I don't know that they eschew production in favor of combine numbers, but it is apparent Gute likes guys with high values. I think you can find both in many cases.

That they didn't take Metcalf considering his combine numbers (agility aside) is surprising. Height-weight-speed guys like him are uncommon. He didn't have much production and had injuries; I'm assuming those weighed into their consideration.

texaspackerbacker
12-16-2020, 01:28 AM
Aaron Jones has fired his agent because the guy hadn't successfully negotiated a deal. My grandson told me - I don't know where he heard it - that Jones has said he wants to stay in Green Bay and didn't like that the agent wasn't getting it done.

smuggler
12-16-2020, 08:41 PM
Unfortunately that is probably not true, tex.

Joemailman
12-16-2020, 08:50 PM
I would imagine Jones is pretty unhappy that guys like Kamara, Cook, McCaffrey, Henry and Mixon have all gotten extensions and he hasn't. Hence firing his agent. Whether staying in Green Bay is still a major focus of his is hard to say. He may have already come to the conclusion that the Packers have no intention of meeting his asking price.

wthigoot
12-16-2020, 09:44 PM
If we didn't need a WR last year in a great year for them, we really don't need one this year - after the nice development of what we have. I'd also say we aren't bad in the O Line - something I haven't said much since maybe the Lombardi era. With Patrick and Runyon coming along, and apparently they have high hopes for Stepaniak, and maybe Lane Taylor back, and maybe even Nijman, we don't need much help there. Another thing I have flip-flopped on is not taking an ILB early. We've seen what several good ones around the league can do to really improve defenses. Especially if there is a chance Pettine is gone, getting an ILB becomes important - probably a higher priority with just about any other D Coordinator. D Line could use improvement too, but like that other thread title, it's not as bad as a lot of people think.

The Packers are famous - for better or worse, I'd say worse - drafting positions where there are people needing to be re-signed that might not be. With that in mind, plus the importance of the position, I think they take a Corner first. King is probably on the way out, and he's not really very good anyway IMO - or reliably healthy in anybody's opinion. I HOPE drafting a RB early is not a similar priority, as they simply damn well better not let Aaron Jones go.

Another factor is cap losses. Preston Smith would seem to be certainly gone, and Zadarius with his $20m cap hit and good not great performance just might be gone too. I'd like to see us cut him and use something less but close to the $20m to sign some better FA pass rusher.

I'm going with Corner first, ILB second, maybe OLB 3rd. I think we have extra picks in the 4th and 5th. ILB again, D Line, O Line, and RB there. Maybe we snag a small fast kick returner in the late rounds too.

I think you are mostly on target with this analysis. King is talented but won't be able to overcome his injuries and so I look for a CB round 1 and Gute is not afraid to use extra picks to trade up (should have round 4, 5, and 6 comp picks so that frees up the Packers picks for trades).

Interior OL is looking good but I think an OT will be taken with a high or mid round pick. OT is just a little thin. Might be mitigated if Lane Taylor is back and can still move outside.

Think Preston is gone but Zadarius will stay. Probably going for a Keith McKenzie or KGB type steal in the later rounds for a pass rusher.

For WR, always want to take one early (probably round 2 or 3) and one late. Maybe more of a chain mover as MVS and Adams are there for the big play.

Would really like to get Rondale Moore as a returner and receiver, but the Packers just don't draft anyone that small even though he is super strong. He would be round 1 or 2 and can't see them investing that high of a pick.

Guiness
12-16-2020, 10:45 PM
It will be interesting to see if the NFL factors in guys that opted out of the season into comp picks. The formula relies heavily on AAV of the contract, but those new contracts don't actually begin until 2021 for players that opted out.

That is a great question!!! For instance, does Funchess count as an addition to the Packers?

I think the Pack is way ahead regardless. They lost:
Bryan Bulaga
Blake Martinez
Tramon Williams
Geronimo Allison (opted out)
Kyler Fackrell
B. J. Goodson
Ibraheim Campbell (practice squad)
Danny Vitale (opted out)
Jason Spriggs

Vitale and Allison opted out, Campbell is on the practice squad. The rest are on rosters as far as I know

Signed:
Rick Wagner
Christian Kirksey
Devin Funchess (opted out)
John Lovett
Parry Nickerson (signed late)

6 gone, 3 signed, that should give them the max number of compensatory picks

Jaire
12-22-2020, 11:47 AM
I totally agree about DT. I wanted Simmons or (AND??) LAWRENCE in 2019, but I am happy with Gary and Savage and get the picks.

I also agree mostly with the OP except we should keep Preston.

This looks like a deep draft class, deepest in history at OT so we take TWO whom we like. I wondered that we didn't take one last year, but it seems GB was looking to this class for OT. There are also some interesting DTs throughout the draft. Last year's DT (and most everything but WR) class stunk.

Third spot is EDGE and there are a lot of interesting picks there. DL is number one need, and on D an edge to stop the run and/or replace Preston/Z.

We can pick a CB anywhere at value. With our present dbs and no king, we still most need help with front five. I actually agree with BRANDON here.

Finally, the last 2 years we grabbed a TE, TE, and (insanely high for my taste but I get the pick) RB. We will grab another offensive skill, probably WR somewhere. But OL wins games. Get us a couple OTs, Gute!!! Moreover Gute has quietly built the skills positions and has a stable of TEs and RBs: RB & WR are a dime a dozen anyway imo except if your name is Justin Jefferson.

Jaire
12-22-2020, 12:33 PM
My Big Board for GB in 2019 was:

1A) Q Williams
1B) Dexter Lawrence
2) Simmons (pre injury)

And that was my entire Big Board.

I haven't watched any of them in the pros since. And even if Gary and Savage turn into all pros, I still prefer Simmons plus Lawrence.

The last time I wanted a pick (we actually could draft) that badly was Chris Jones though I was ok with Kenny C. Watching some clips of Lawrence just now, I can only say I wish we had him over Gary. But I am partial to DTs

run pMc
12-22-2020, 04:34 PM
I would be fine with them building in the trenches early.
Kenny Clark needs a running mate up front, one that's an upgrade from Lowry/Lancaster. Keke is ok, but he's a depth piece. Lowry is a likely cut/restructure with his contract. I think their pass rush (and pass defense) improves vastly if they can get another DL who is more than JAG.

If they can find a cheap backup OT Wagner becomes expendable. Runyan and Jenkins are keepers, and either Patrick, Jenkins, or possibly Hanson could play C. They've been drafting a lot of IOL, I'd like to see something happen with the OTs. Turner has been improved this year and I think they keep him. With Bahk signed they'll want to keep aggregate OL salary lower, and get younger overall.

Would like to see them shore up RB and WR, and I think King is gone so they need a CB.

AJ Dillon seemed like an odd choice for their scheme and I wish they'd give him more snaps to see what he can do (and if he's a RB1 or 2). I'm against big contracts for RBs, but I have a feeling they get something done with Jones. If they don't, maybe they go with one of the backs out of UNC or that Gainwell kid. They'd also likely keep Jamaal for pass pro if that happened, unless an upgrade was available via FA.

WR - Adams will get an extension next year, but he's not getting younger, and the players behind him aren't inspiring. When a team with a strong DL to stop the run decides to double Adams, this team can sometimes stall out. They need another WR to take the WR1 mantle from Adams when he hits 30. That player isn't on the roster.

King is an average CB. When healthy he's good; he's never healthy. He's great in the red zone, but he's leggy and doesn't have the COD his combine scores indicate. I don't trust Josh Jackson to be a reliable starter for 16+ games, and he was a healthy scratch from the CAR game. Hollman is late round pick who can play ST and provide depth, but he's not a lockdown corner.

ILB - I bet Kirksey is gone and they go cheap here again, either with a late Day 3 pick or dig in the UDFA bin. They're probably ok at safety. Has the defense improved with Raven Greene out?

As for EDGE, Z is worth the contract - he's not been getting as many pressures, but he's still sacking the QB and doing his best with the increased attention. Preston has had an off year and if they are out of options could let him go. I think they wait to see what the cap, FA and draft class looks like. No idea yet if Garvin can contribute; Gary is a contributor, but can he take all Preston's snaps? I think they need another dependable guy there, so if you dump Preston you have to find another -- easier said than done.

One other thing: if you look at Preston's career, it's a yo-yo: his sacks read 8, 4.5, 8, 4, 12, and 4 so far. What are the odds he bounces back with another 8 sack year next season?

Fritz
12-23-2020, 10:21 AM
I totally agree about DT. I wanted Simmons or (AND??) LAWRENCE in 2019, but I am happy with Gary and Savage and get the picks.

I also agree mostly with the OP except we should keep Preston.

This looks like a deep draft class, deepest in history at OT so we take TWO whom we like. I wondered that we didn't take one last year, but it seems GB was looking to this class for OT. There are also some interesting DTs throughout the draft. Last year's DT (and most everything but WR) class stunk.

Third spot is EDGE and there are a lot of interesting picks there. DL is number one need, and on D an edge to stop the run and/or replace Preston/Z.

We can pick a CB anywhere at value. With our present dbs and no king, we still most need help with front five. I actually agree with BRANDON here.

Finally, the last 2 years we grabbed a TE, TE, and (insanely high for my taste but I get the pick) RB. We will grab another offensive skill, probably WR somewhere. But OL wins games. Get us a couple OTs, Gute!!! Moreover Gute has quietly built the skills positions and has a stable of TEs and RBs: RB & WR are a dime a dozen anyway imo except if your name is Justin Jefferson.

Well, that means Gute won't take an OT at all.

Jaire
12-23-2020, 12:48 PM
Well, that means Gute won't take an OT at all.

Hahaha

No. I think he will. The Packet FO is still top 5.

R-E-L-A-X

After Aaron's second Super Bowl ring, Packet fans will lighten up. It could be MUCH worse. We could be Steeler fans.

gbgary
12-23-2020, 03:07 PM
Unfortunately that is probably not true, tex.

i tend to agree but the agent change is a puzzle to me. clearly he was playing hardball with the Packers or there'd be a contract. it was lee steinberg if i'm not mistaken. so then he turns around and hires a guy that is well known for bending clubs over. he knows the dire cap situation they're in. he saw them pick a RB. i don't think a deal was ever in jones mind. this agent change is to max out when he's free...which is absolutely what he should be thinking about.

GB-Brandon
12-23-2020, 07:42 PM
Guts Trades up for Fucken QB’s, Safeites and LB’s. Grow some balls and trade up and get the missing piece to make this offense unstoppable so we can get over the Fucken hump without having to rely on LUCK!!! Let’s go run people off the field. Even the good defenses!!!

https://youtu.be/EoPCcWoB0fo

GB-Brandon
12-23-2020, 07:59 PM
I can’t even believe we’re having this discussion!!!!